/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of Reverting to Islam... please help I am so lost!

Just_A_Girl13
05-18-2011, 06:58 PM
Peace be with you brothers and sisters,

As of now, I am a young Christian woman. A few months ago, I fell deeply in love with a young Muslim man and began researching Islam to learn more about his culture. Recently, however, I have become very drawn to the concept of Islam for whatever reason. I am seriously thinking of becoming a Muslim. However, I am concerned about three things:

First, I am worried that I won't be a good Muslim because I was raised Christian so I will have to learn a lot of things by myself. I am worried about messing up and disgracing my fellow Muslims.

Second, I am worried about the reason why I am reverting. I don't exactly have a problem with Christianity, so I am afraid that I will let myself and others (i.e. my church, my family) down by reverting. I was wondering, would it be okay to try being a Muslim (i.e. making salaat, visiting a mosque) for a short period of time before officially converting? Or would that be wrong?

Third, I am worried about one small thing in Islam, and that is about the Islamic view of homosexuality. As a Christian, I am also a big supporter of gay rights and I do not want to change this about myself. Would there be any possibility at all of me becoming a Muslim and still supporting gay rights? Please no hateful remarks and please don't try to convince me that homosexuality is wrong, I am just trying to learn. Please could you just say whether or not I could, as Muslim, support gay rights as I do now?

Because of these three things, I am very uncertain as to whether reverting to Islam is the right path for me. Please help me brothers and sisters, I am so lost!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
05-19-2011, 12:16 AM
Greetings sis,

1-don't worry about being a good Muslim, just try your best, we all make mistakes and learn from our mistakes
2-yes in fact I encourage you to visit a mosque and make friends with sisters and learn all you can before you take the leap.. but once your convinced truly in your heart and mind then just go for it because life is too short.
3- Islamic stance on homosexuality is the same as every religion and even laws of nature.. We don't hate the sinner but we hate the sin, and it is indeed a transgression against God and nature.. there is no reason to make hateful remark and Islam doesn't encourage hateful remarks but the Islamic stance on homosexuality is unyielding..

lastly why don't you ask God to guide you with an open heart?

وَإِذَا سَأَلَكَ عِبَادِي عَنِّي فَإِنِّي قَرِيبٌ ۖ أُجِيبُ دَعْوَةَ الدَّاعِ إِذَا دَعَانِ ۖ فَلْيَسْتَجِيبُوا لِي وَلْيُؤْمِنُوا بِي لَعَلَّهُمْ يَرْشُدُونَ {186}
[Pickthal 2:186] And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright.

peace and pls. keep us updated sis and don't hesitate to ask any Q's

:w:

Woodrow
05-19-2011, 01:04 AM
There is only one reason to revert to Islam and that is because you believe it to be the truth. A person should not revert based on pleasing any person. We revert to please Allaah(swt) not because anybody has told or asked us to.

Have no fear of visiting any Mosque, visitors are always welcome. Let the Imam knowyou would like to visit ahead of time that you would like to visit and all accomodations will be made to make you comfortable. You are ready to say the Shahadah the minute you know you can say it with full sincerity.

Hamza Asadullah
05-19-2011, 04:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Just_A_Girl13
Peace be with you brothers and sisters,

As of now, I am a young Christian woman. A few months ago, I fell deeply in love with a young Muslim man and began researching Islam to learn more about his culture. Recently, however, I have become very drawn to the concept of Islam for whatever reason. I am seriously thinking of becoming a Muslim.
You are most welcome here sister in humanity,

Allah guides and brings near to him whoever he wants and it is clear that he is wanting to guide you so that you may be closer to him. What a true honour.

However, I am concerned about three things:
First, I am worried that I won't be a good Muslim because I was raised Christian so I will have to learn a lot of things by myself. I am worried about messing up and disgracing my fellow Muslims.
I don't quite see where the issue is here? It does not matter what background you came from or what you were before that does not make a difference at all.

You will find many Muslims in this forum and across the world who have come from so many diverse backgrounds and faiths a lot of them being from former Christian backgrounds like yourself.

So there is absolutley nothing to worry about. Learning is a life long process. We will never know "enough"about Islam.

So my advice to you is to just learn steadily at your own pace. Put your faith and reliannce with God and know that everything will fall into place.

Second, I am worried about the reason why I am reverting. I don't exactly have a problem with Christianity, so I am afraid that I will let myself and others (i.e. my church, my family) down by reverting. I was wondering, would it be okay to try being a Muslim (i.e. making salaat, visiting a mosque) for a short period of time before officially converting? Or would that be wrong?
When one has full faith in their creator then nothing is more important. You do not need to tell your family straight away. Many reverts wait for a while for the best time to tell their families as you kow your family better than anyone else knows them. However they may feel at the beginning know that they will eventually accept it. They will even see the good in Islam rather than the false portrayal of Islam in the media.

As soon as you realise in your heart that there is NO God but Allah who has NO partners and that you accept the final Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) as being the messenger of Allah then all you have to do is affirm this in your heart and say it with your tongue and you are a Muslim. It is as simple as that. Faith comes from the heart and that is what is most important.

It is not wrong to practise as a Muslim does but if faith i affirmed in the heart then it should be proclaimed by the tongue because we must know that life is short and death can overcome us at any moment. But you should certainly visit your local mosque. If you need help locating one then i can help you with that.

Third, I am worried about one small thing in Islam, and that is about the Islamic view of homosexuality. As a Christian, I am also a big supporter of gay rights and I do not want to change this about myself. Would there be any possibility at all of me becoming a Muslim and still supporting gay rights? Please no hateful remarks and please don't try to convince me that homosexuality is wrong, I am just trying to learn. Please could you just say whether or not I could, as Muslim, support gay rights as I do now?

I think you should take one step at a time. There is no doubt that when a change occurs in ones life then it does take time for the changes to settle in ones heart. One should not overburden oneself with so much that one cannot handle it. Therefore you should let the changes sink in slowly rather than start burdening yourself with too much change and things to learn etc. Just take things slow.

After faith has been accepted and affirmed in the heart and proclaimed by tongue then you should learn how to pray and learn the foundations of Islam and build your knowledge up from the foundations.

You should definately join a sisters group as this will be a vital support network for you and that way you can get to know sisters who are also reverts to Islam and have been through similar experiences etc and you will be able to relate to them and get involved in local activities and learn about Islam aswell as make new friends.

I can also help you try and locate a sisters group as there are many all over the place it is just a matter of looking in the right places.

Because of these three things, I am very uncertain as to whether reverting to Islam is the right path for me. Please help me brothers and sisters, I am so lost!
There is no need to feel lost. I hope our responses have helped you in some way in making you find your way. Open your heart to God sincerely and ask of him to guide you to the right path. Once you know without doubt in your heart of his oneness and the finality of his Prophet then proclaim so by tongue and you are on your way on the right path.

“Whom Allah does guide, he is on the right path. Whom He rejects from His guidance, such are the persons who lose.” (7:178)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Just_A_Girl13
05-19-2011, 04:30 AM
Peace be with you,

Thank you so much, brothers and sisters, for your kind words. I will do my best to listen to how Allah is guiding me and give consideration to what each of you has said. Please make du'a that I may find the right path.

Thank you again! :)

tigerkhan
05-19-2011, 04:41 AM
Islam is a practical religion and there is no idealism in it. mean being a muslim dont mean that u will be perfect in all sense. Islam blv in strong effort toward perfectness, so we all need to learn and adopt that truth as much as we can. maybe some got this level and maybe some dont, but that doesn't mean they leave effort toward this perfectness.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!