/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Why do American Muslims Dress like Arabs?

mookster
05-20-2011, 04:11 PM
I am curious about something...

I see American Muslims sometimes dress like Arabs or Middle Easterners. I realize some American Muslims are immigrants and they simply continue to wear their native dress - that make sense.

But for example, look at Joshua Evans. He was born in South Carolina and converted to Islam. I've seen him on various YouTube programs where he is dressed like an Arab. He is one example but there are many I have seen.

Is there something in Islam that commands Muslims to dress in this manner? I was under the impression that Muslims could wear what they wanted (excepting commandments about modesty, etc.)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ğħαrєєвαħ
05-21-2011, 10:59 PM
Greetings of peace to you..

You are correct, modesty is the main part of the Islamic dress..

For women is required something that covers her from head to toe, lose, non see through, not attention seeking etc, the same is required for the brothers.

I believe the long dress is known as the thobe/thawb..

I am not sure but i think its because the Prophet (may the peace and blessings of allmighty be unto him) wore something similar, so i guess the brothers who do wear the thawb are doing so to follow the sunnah (way of life) of the prophet (pbuh) the best way possible..it is the closest as far as I am aware..

I wouldnt call it the arab dress, but a way of showing you are a muslim dress, muslims are from all nations. So everything the Prophet (pbuh) did in his life, the muslims try to implement..It is pure modesty in my opinion

However, i may be wrong, so I will let the others answer your question..

SAKER
05-22-2011, 09:33 PM
Islam has simply no uniform

SAKER
05-22-2011, 09:48 PM
Those are traditional way of dressing depending on th culture of each country

but no one has the right can tell you dress this way if you are a muslim or to be a muslim

except women thy should dress Hijab ...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
al yunan
05-23-2011, 09:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by mookster
But for example, look at Joshua Evans. He was born in South Carolina and converted to Islam. I've seen him on various YouTube programs where he is dressed like an Arab. He is one example but there are many I have seen.
Salam brother,

I underlined your words to show you how you defined a person, now lets say he was wearing a tie and a three piece suit, then he would seem ordinary and you would not have mentioned him.
Therefore his dress code made a statement that he is not ordinary.
As I do not know the man I can't speak on his behalf but as a revert I can tell you I don't like to be mistaken for a non Muslim for one thing, plus I believe in the Hadith (prophetic saying) "he who looks like a people is of those people" (not ad verbum).
That could be one possible answer or that he just feels comfortable.
Clothes don't make a person and as the other brother pointed out Islam has no uniform.
Never the less Islam has a dress code for males and females and as long as that code is adhered to, the fashion decision is up to the individual.
As Muslims we also need to keep good opinions of our brothers and sisters Husnuzon and not look for negative aspects where there are none obvious.
I hope this helps.

Masalam

May Ayob
05-23-2011, 11:27 AM
Salaam
I think because they think it is the "Islamic Dress" for men , but i don't agree with that as long as the clothing cover the parts which a muslim is ordered to cover then i think it is acceptable.

But no as long as you are modest in your cloth it doesn't really matter what culture or clothing style you are wearing if it implies modesty.

and God knows best , just my thoughts , i hope it helps .

Futuwwa
05-23-2011, 02:26 PM
There is way too much Arab fandom among converts to Islam.

Kabeer
05-23-2011, 03:27 PM
Salaam,

Because they are misplacing arab culture with Islam and Allah.

Peace

Woodrow
05-23-2011, 09:39 PM
For new reverts it is one way to be certain they are dressed in a halal manner. Those of us who contine to dress in such clothing do so for several reasons for myself the reasons are:

1. It is sunnah to do so

2. It identifies me as a Muslim in an area that has very few Muslims. But that does not hold true all the time as I often get mistaken as being Amish or Native American, as the clothing is somewhat similat to the traditional Lakotah and Cheyenne Clothing.

3. It is comfortable and I have no need to make a fashion statement.

جوري
05-23-2011, 09:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
2. It identifies me as a Muslim in an area that has very few Muslims.

That is the number one reason as I understand also changing names is another method which many opt for..

:w:

Ali Mujahidin
05-24-2011, 03:57 AM
:sl:

This thread reminds me of something that happened a while back.

I was having a cuppa at a roadside stall when some friends at the next table called me over. They were arguing with another friend who insisted that being a Muslim does not mean one has to dress like an Arab. They wanted me to tell that friend why I was dressed like an Arab. This was, more or less, what I said:

"It is not a coincidence that the Holy Prophet (saw) is an Arab. If you say that the Holy Prophet is an Arab, by chance, then you are saying that Allah works by chance. That is totally unacceptable. Allah does not do anything by chance. Everything that Allah does is planned with a purpose. Just because we do not see the purpose does not mean that there is no purpose.

I wear a serban and a jubah not because I want to dress like an Arab. I do it because it is the Sunnah.

Look at it another way. Have you seen people who idolize certain singers like, say, Michael Jackson? They would dress like him. Why? Because they adore him. Because they love him.

So let's leave aside the question of Sunnah for the moment. Let's just ask ourselves how much do we love the Holy Prophet? Do we love him enough to want to dress like him?"

Hope that is useful. WaLLahu aklam.

al yunan
05-24-2011, 06:59 AM
Salam to all,

My first reply was to the O.P, this reply is to what I've read in other posts.
I feel it is a Hypocrisy :embarrasson the males part to ensure their wives wear a Hijab:muslimah: and as for them without their wives tagging along (Muslim by association) there is no visible distinction from non Muslims.
I'm not talking about walking around looking like an "Arab" unless of course you are and not ashamed, but rather the minimum which is a CAP and an effort to grow a beard:beard: and the absence of tight fitting clothes.
Unless we are referring to a new revert, then I would repeat the Hadith "he who follows a Kawm is of that Kawm".:hmm:
Should any Sunni (*) man hide his faith :nervous:I hope for their sake they have a solid excuse that would hold in Qiyamat. imsad
When it comes to dress code I believe the sisters Mashallah have the brothers:embarrass beat, hands down. :D
This is our new world "Zaman Fitnah" where women are braver than men as prophesied in Hadith.

Masalam

PS: (*) Shi'a under the principle of Taqia may hide their faith and even their gender.

إحسان
05-27-2011, 02:20 PM
Brother, ThisOldMan, what a great post!

I don't see why people can't dress like Arabs. I mean a thawb and an abaya is a simple dress that allows both men and women to dress modestly. Furthermore, it's their own personal choice... Who are we to tell them not to?

- Dua

Futuwwa
05-31-2011, 06:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ThisOldMan
"It is not a coincidence that the Holy Prophet (saw) is an Arab. If you say that the Holy Prophet is an Arab, by chance, then you are saying that Allah works by chance. That is totally unacceptable. Allah does not do anything by chance. Everything that Allah does is planned with a purpose. Just because we do not see the purpose does not mean that there is no purpose.
Why would it have to have a purpose? To state that it did not matter that Muhammed (saws) was an Arab does in no way imply that Allah works by chance. Coincidentality does not imply chance. It might just as well be that Muhammed was chosen for other reasons (ergo, Allah did not work by chance, but chose Muhammed because of those reasons), and that therefore him being an Arab was coincidental.

Ali Mujahidin
06-06-2011, 04:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Futuwwa
Why would it have to have a purpose?

I am sorry but my understanding of English is very poor. From what little I know about the wonderful vagaries of the English language, "purpose" and "coincidence" are on quite different sides of the coin, so to speak. To say something happened on "purpose", as I was taught, means that it did not quite happen by "coincidence".

Also I must apologize for my very poor understanding of Islam. So far I have been taught that everything, and that includes everything with no exception, is in the knowledge of Allah. That means anything and everything that happens, happens with a purpose and a plan. Said purpose and plan being what Allah intended it to be.

Someone, most probably me, will have to do a lot of re-learning about Islam.

al yunan
06-06-2011, 05:19 PM
Why would it have to have a purpose? To state that it did not matter that Muhammed (saws) was an Arab does in no way imply that Allah works by chance. Coincidentality does not imply chance. It might just as well be that Muhammed was chosen for other reasons (ergo, Allah did not work by chance, but chose Muhammed because of those reasons), and that therefore him being an Arab was coincidental.
Salam brother futuwwa,

First of all you should respect your fellow brothers and reply to their Salam.
Secondly brother T.O.M was repeating some one else's words mainly.
Thirdly the use of semantics is not the way to communicate with others who obviously like myself don't possess Academic language skills.
He disagrees with coincidence (Just because we do not see the purpose does not mean that there is no purpose) you don't (that therefore him being an Arab was coincidental)
But you both agree that Allah S.W.T plans all and nothing is by chance.
So why the post ? you upset an old brother for nothing.
As you are obviously the youngest of the two it falls on you to apologise and make peace.

Masalam

Who Am I?
06-06-2011, 05:27 PM
I was going to ask "Why does it matter what they wear?" but I believe that question has already been answered.

Most of the brothers I've met at the masjid wear normal clothes. I see one or two in robes and all, but most look like any normal guy I would see on the street. The only clue I would have that they were Muslims is their beards. Other than that, they look like regular guys (which they are).

Ansariyah
06-07-2011, 12:39 PM
It's a matter of choice. If that's how they want to dress MashaAllah.

wellspring
06-07-2011, 03:45 PM
Al yunan: You made a really good point there.

I don't think women should be forced to wear hijab. If they feel the faith strong enough inside them that they want to, it is their choice. Otherwise, that is also their choice.

There is no compulsion in religion and there are varying degrees of religious intensity.

We do not have the right to force anyone to wear anything. It is up to that person to display themselves however they feel is fitting according to their understanding and faith.

Of course the Qur'an is a lot more clear about how women should cover themselves than it is about how men should cover themselves, so there is a lot less of an excuse for women who consider themselves Muslims and yet want to dress immodestly.

Alhamdulillah for our guidance. :)

Like you said though men also have ways of distinguishing themselves as Muslims and it shows their faith too when they do so.

In some Arab countries people think that if a woman shows any part of herself, men are unable to control themselves. This is not true and it is not an excuse for un-Islamic behavior on their part. On the Day of Judgment we will be responsible for ourselves.

sabr*
06-08-2011, 09:28 PM

This thread reminds me of something that happened a while back.

I was having a cuppa at a roadside stall when some friends at the next table called me over. They were arguing with another friend who insisted that being a Muslim does not mean one has to dress like an Arab. They wanted me to tell that friend why I was dressed like an Arab. This was, more or less, what I said:

I wear a serban and a jubah not because I want to dress like an Arab. I do it because it is the Sunnah.

Look at it another way. Have you seen people who idolize certain singers like, say, Michael Jackson? They would dress like him. Why? Because they adore him. Because they love him.

So let's leave aside the question of Sunnah for the moment. Let's just ask ourselves how much do we love the Holy Prophet? Do we love him enough to want to dress like him?"

Hope that is useful. WaLLahu aklam.
As-Salāmu `Alaykum (السلام عليكم):

Read the Sirat Rasul Allah (Biographies, History) of the Nabi Muhammad ibn Abduallah (

) and you will realize the modern dress of the Arabs differ from what was wore during the Nabi Muhammad(

)
day. They were poor. Many modern Arabs only have linage in common.

Al-Imran (The Family of Imran) 3:144

وَمَا مُحَمَّدٌ إِلاَّ رَسُولٌ قَدْ خَلَتْ مِن قَبْلِهِ الرُّسُلُ أَفَإِن مَّاتَ أَوْ قُتِلَ انقَلَبْتُمْ عَلَى أَعْقَابِكُمْ وَمَن يَنقَلِبْ عَلَىَ عَقِبَيْهِ فَلَن يَضُرَّ اللّهَ شَيْئًا وَسَيَجْزِي اللّهُ الشَّاكِرِينَ (3:144)
Wama muhammadun illa rasoolun qad khalat min qablihi alrrusulu afain mata aw qutila inqalabtum AAala aAAqabikum waman yanqalib AAala AAaqibayhi falan yadurra Allaha shayan wasayajzee Allahu alshshakireena

3:144 (Y. Ali) Muhammad is no more than an apostle: many Were the apostle that passed away before him. If he died or were slain, will ye then Turn back on your heels? If any did turn back on his heels, not the least harm will he do to Allah. but Allah (on the other hand) will swiftly reward those who (serve Him) with gratitude.
__________________________________________________ __

Al-Hujurat (The Dwellings) 49:13

يَا أَيُّهَا النَّاسُ إِنَّا خَلَقْنَاكُم مِّن ذَكَرٍ وَأُنثَى وَجَعَلْنَاكُمْ شُعُوبًا وَقَبَائِلَ لِتَعَارَفُوا إِنَّ أَكْرَمَكُمْ عِندَ اللَّهِ أَتْقَاكُمْ إِنَّ اللَّهَ عَلِيمٌ خَبِيرٌ (49:13)

Ya ayyuha alnnasu inna khalaqnakum min thakarin waontha wajaAAalnakum shuAAooban waqabaila litaAAarafoo inna akramakum AAinda Allahi atqakum inna Allaha AAaleemun khabeerun

49:13 (Y. Ali) O mankind! We created you from a single (pair) of a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that ye may know each other (not that ye may despise (each other). Verily the most honoured of you in the sight of Allah is (he who is) the most righteous of you. And Allah has full knowledge and is well acquainted (with all things).
__________________________________________________ __

Al-Hujurat (The Dwellings) 49:14

قَالَتِ الْأَعْرَابُ آمَنَّا قُل لَّمْ تُؤْمِنُوا وَلَكِن قُولُوا أَسْلَمْنَا وَلَمَّا يَدْخُلِ الْإِيمَانُ فِي قُلُوبِكُمْ وَإِن تُطِيعُوا اللَّهَ وَرَسُولَهُ لَا يَلِتْكُم مِّنْ أَعْمَالِكُمْ شَيْئًا إِنَّ اللَّهَ غَفُورٌ رَّحِيمٌ (49:14)

Qalati alaAArabu amanna qul lam tuminoo walakin qooloo aslamna walamma yadkhuli aleemanu fee quloobikum wain tuteeAAoo Allaha warasoolahu la yalitkum min aAAmalikum shayan inna Allaha ghafoorun raheemun

49:14 (Y. Ali) The desert Arabs say, "We believe." Say, "Ye have no faith; but ye (only)say, 'We have submitted our wills to Allah,' For not yet has Faith entered your hearts. But if ye obey Allah and His Messenger, He will not belittle aught of your deeds: for Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful."

al yunan
06-10-2011, 05:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by wellspring
In some Arab countries people think that if a woman shows any part of herself, men are unable to control themselves. This is not true and it is not an excuse for un-Islamic behavior on their part.

You have not been to Muslim East Africa ?
Men cover their face and some women show their breasts in public !

Ramadhan
06-12-2011, 02:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by wellspring
I don't think women should be forced to wear hijab. If they feel the faith strong enough inside them that they want to, it is their choice. Otherwise, that is also their choice.
I agree with you, but on the other hand, we shouldn't be apathetic towards the (in)actions of other muslims and we should still encourage them to wear hijab. Remember the often occurred phrase in the qur'an: "amar ma'ruf nahi munkar", loosely meaning "enjoin good, forbid evil".

sabr*
06-13-2011, 04:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by al yunan
You have not been to Muslim East Africa ?
Men cover their face and some women show their breasts in public !
As-Salāmu `Alaykum (السلام عليكم):

Akhi al yunan:

A suggestion! When attributing actions of people outside the pale of Islam separate Practicing Muslims and those to
are claiming to be Muslim. It does a disservice to the propagation of Islam.

If a person who claims to be Muslim commits acts that are unlawful in Islam do you attach the unlawfulness to Islam?

NO!

The description of what you insinuated as people claiming to be Muslim and performing acts outside the pale of Islam
are unrelated.

If this thread requires approval by a moderator before posting why are these posts being allowed? Are the vetting
of posts for every poster?

Starrynight
06-13-2011, 03:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ramadhan

I agree with you, but on the other hand, we shouldn't be apathetic towards the (in)actions of other muslims and we should still encourage them to wear hijab. Remember the often occurred phrase in the qur'an: "amar ma'ruf nahi munkar", loosely meaning "enjoin good, forbid evil".
What do you mean about "enjoin good, forbid evil" in relation to wearing a Hijiab? Sorry, I'm still new to all of this...

Futuwwa
06-14-2011, 01:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by al yunan
Salam brother futuwwa,

First of all you should respect your fellow brothers and reply to their Salam.
Secondly brother T.O.M was repeating some one else's words mainly.
Thirdly the use of semantics is not the way to communicate with others who obviously like myself don't possess Academic language skills.
He disagrees with coincidence (Just because we do not see the purpose does not mean that there is no purpose) you don't (that therefore him being an Arab was coincidental)
But you both agree that Allah S.W.T plans all and nothing is by chance.
So why the post ? you upset an old brother for nothing.
As you are obviously the youngest of the two it falls on you to apologise and make peace.

Masalam
Brother, I was not making a semantic point. I was refuting his position, simple as that, we're not just speaking of the same thing in different words. I don't see where I have acted inappropriately. If he feels wronged by me he can say so and I will respect his feelings, but I think your intervention is unwarranted. Salaam.

Ramadhan
06-14-2011, 01:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Starrynight
What do you mean about "enjoin good, forbid evil" in relation to wearing a Hijiab? Sorry, I'm still new to all of this...
It means: we encourage ourselves and others to do good, and we discourage ourselves and others from doing evil/bad actions.
This is may be a strange concept in individualistic western societies where people are expected to mind their own business. However we know that the actions of individual also impact society at large. Islam is a religion that is complete: it provides best way for individual AND society to flourish and attain true well-being in all sense,
In relation to hijab:
It is clear in the Qur'an that Allah SWT has commanded certain clothing requirements, and so when a muslim disregard it, that is disobedience and bad action, while conforming to the requirements is good. Hijab fulfills that requirements, and hence when we have our female relatives and friends still not conforming to hijab, we try to nudge them and encourage them to wear them. That is in effect "enjoin good, forbid evil". And the same applies the other direction.

Scimitar
08-14-2011, 01:32 AM
Assalaam Alaikum, I found the followng hadith in Bukhari

Here are the English translations.

Volume 7, Book 72, Number 693:

Narrated 'Uqba bin 'Amir:

A silken Farruj was presented to Allah's Apostle and he put it on and offered the prayer in it. When he finished the prayer, he took it off violently as if he disliked it and said, "This (garment) does not befit those who fear Allah!"

Volume 7, Book 72, Number 694:

Narrated Abdullah bin Umar:

A man said, "O Allah's Apostle. What type of clothes should a Muhrim wear Allah's Apostle replied, 'Do not wear shirts, turbans trousers hooded cloaks or Khuffs; but if someone cannot get sandals, then he can wear Khuffs after cutting them short below the ankles. Do not wear clothes touched by saffon or wars (two kinds of perfumes) "

Volume 7, Book 72, Number 695:

Narrated Ibn 'Abbas:

The Prophet said, "Whoever cannot get an Izar, can wear trousers, and whoever cannot wear sandals can wear Khuffs."

Volume 7, Book 72, Number 703:

Narrated Qatada:

I asked Anas, "What kind of clothes was most beloved to the Prophet?" He replied, "The Hibra (a kind of Yemenese cloth)."

Volume 7, Book 72, Number 704:

Narrated Anas bin Malik:

The most beloved garment to the Prophet to wear was the Hibra (a kind of Yemenese cloth).

Volume 7, Book 72, Number 723:

Narrated Anas bin Malik:

The Prophet said, Whoever wears silk in this world shall not wear it in the Hereafter."

Volume 7, Book 72, Number 724:

Narrated Thabit:

I heard Ibn Az-Zubair delivering a sermon, saying, "Muhammad said, 'Whoever wears silk in this world, shall not wear it in the Hereafter."

Volume 7, Book 72, Number 730:

Narrated Anas:

The Prophet allowed Az-Zubair and 'Abdur-Rahman to wear silk because they were suffering from an itch

Volume 7, Book 72, Number 737:

Narrated Anas:

The Prophet forbade men to use saffron.

Volume 7, Book 72, Number 738:

Narrated Ibn 'Umar:

The Prophet forbade Muhrims to wear clothes dyed with Wars or saffron.

I hope these helped,

ayesha.ansari
09-16-2011, 07:38 AM
Oh ALLAH and now most of the people are wearing that dress that is forbidden by ALLAH and his beloved prophet that mean people are moving toward sinful life. look at the girls, women what they wear now a days. i have seen them on television and also on newspaper. what are they doing are not hey afraid of ALLAH.

SFatima
09-22-2011, 07:26 PM
Also I must apologize for my very poor understanding of Islam. So far I have been taught that everything, and that includes everything with no exception, is in the knowledge of Allah. That means anything and everything that happens, happens with a purpose and a plan. Said purpose and plan being what Allah intended it to be.

Someone, most probably me, will have to do a lot of re-learning about Islam.
:wa:

yes to purpose, no to coincidence , agree and well said.

Ubaydullah7777
10-25-2011, 09:11 PM
Today even arabs doesnt dress like muslims.

esperanza
11-01-2011, 07:24 PM
this aso true ..few arabs now dress in traditional clothes...even in saudi where young men used to asll wear thobes...many are happier wearing shorts in public..tweenty yeras ago that would have been unthinikab;e

i think some reverts believe its better to wear traditonal arab clothes..thats their choice

but wrong to tell other reverts they should not wear western clothes

Sothis Girl
01-29-2012, 05:14 PM
I think a lot of new muslims think they must resemble the Arabs to be more Islamic, i.e. the way they're talking, dressing. In fact, Islam is not associated with any certain nation.

Ali Mujahidin
02-06-2012, 08:34 AM
Pause and consider this:

1. Is it a coincidence that the Holy Prophet is an Arab?
2. Is it a coincidence that the Holy Quran is in Arabic?

Abdul-Raouf
02-06-2012, 05:49 PM
cos our leader was from Arabia.. we like to follow his style (in other words - sunnah)

Futuwwa
02-08-2012, 05:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ali Mujahidin
Pause and consider this:

1. Is it a coincidence that the Holy Prophet is an Arab?
2. Is it a coincidence that the Holy Quran is in Arabic?
Why not? He has to be some nationality, and the Quran in some language. That it happened to be Arab and Arabic might very well be incidental.

Ali Mujahidin
02-10-2012, 02:18 AM
Why not? He has to be some nationality, and the Quran in some language. That it happened to be Arab and Arabic might very well be incidental.
In that case, consider the following:

1. Does Allah do anything by coincidence?
2. Is it, in the first place, a coincidence that there is Allah at all?

nfnmcmd
03-21-2012, 06:40 PM
Asalaamualaikum. It is not a matter of wanting to resemble anyone for me. It is easier to find appropriate dress. Also, when I took my Shahada, the Masjid I was attending told us not to wear western clothing. We were not to have clothing or shoes that had logos like Nike on them. Our dress was to be modest and not represent following styles. So, this is what I learned and now I am comfortable with Arab style clothing. I am not sure why what we wear is important as long as it follows the guidelines mandated.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!