/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Things People May Not Consider "Lying"

jameelash
05-21-2011, 03:28 PM
salam

Things People May Not Consider "Lying"

Some kinds of lying may not be considered Fusuq (commitment of a major sin), like exaggeration. One might say, "I called you so-and-so times" or "I told you a hundred times."

The number stated here is not meant to be accurate but is intended to indicate exaggeration. If the person actually called the other person only once then it is considered Lying. However, if he called him several times more than usual, then it is not considered a sin even if it were not actually a hundred times. Between the former and the latter are varying grades and a person prone to over-exaggeration may let his tongue fall into Lying.

People might also be tolerant with the following behavior. Someone is told to eat and he responds saying, "I don't like this food" or "I'm not hungry" when he actually does like it or is hungry. This is Haram (Forbidden) and is prohibited even when the intention may be good.

Mujahid narrated that Asma' bint 'Umais narrated: I was with other women in the company of 'Aishah, then we prepared her to marry Allah's Messenger. By Allah, we did not find anything to offer, except a cup of milk. The Prophet, sallallahu alahye wa sallam, drank some and gave the cup to 'Aishah. 'Aishah was shy so I said, "Don't refuse it from the hand of the Prophet, sallallahu alayhe wa sallam, and take it from him." So she took it, bashfully, and drank from it. The Prophet, sallallahu alayhe wa sallam, then said, "Give it to your friends."

Her friends, said, "We have no desire for it." Allah's Messenger, sallallahu alayhe wa sallam, said, "Do not combine hunger and lying." I then asked, "If one of us would say about something she likes that she has no desire for it, would that be considered lying?" He said, "lying is written as lying and small lying is written as small lying (meaning that all lying is written whether small or big)." (Ibn Abud-Dunya and Ahmad).

Righteous people used to avoid such lying and did not tolerate it. Al-Laith bin Sa'd said: "The white secretion in the eyes of Sa'id bin Al-Musaiyab would come out, so I asked him, 'Why don't you wipe your eyes?' He said, 'The doctor said, 'Do not touch your eyes,' and if he asks me would I say 'I did not'?"'

Such was the consciousness of the righteous people. If a person would tolerate small lying then he would lie sometimes without noticing it.

The sister of Ar-Rabi 'bin Khuthaim visited his ill son. She threw herself on him and said, "How are you my son?" Ar-Rabi' asked, "Have you nursed him?" She said, "No." He then said, "Why didn't you then say 'my nephew' and be telling the truth?"

People may also lie about their dreams. This is a great sin. The Prophet, sallallahu alayhe wa sallam, said: "Whoever lies about his dream (claims to have seen a dream which he did not see), will be ordered on the Day of Resurrection to make a knot between two barley grains which he will never be able to do." (Al-Bukhari and At-Tirmithi).

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Innocent Soul
05-23-2011, 01:07 PM
Jazakallah Khair! It's really a good reminder. Sometimes we forget these things in our busy lives.

May Ayob
05-24-2011, 11:07 AM
Thank you sis , Jazak Allahu Khair!:)

tigerkhan
05-24-2011, 11:20 AM
jazakallah oh khairan kaseera for sharing.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!