/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Children growing weaker as computers replace outdoor activity - UK

سيف الله
05-22-2011, 12:34 AM
Salaam

Children growing weaker as computers replace outdoor activity

Modern life is 'producing a generation of weaklings', claims research as physical strength declines in 10-year-olds

Children are becoming weaker, less muscular and unable to do physical tasks that previous generations found simple, research has revealed. As a generation dedicated to online pursuits grows up, 10-year-olds can do fewer sit-ups and are less able to hang from wall bars in a gym. Arm strength has declined in that age group, as has their ability to grip an object firmly.

The findings, published in the child health journal Acta Paediatrica, have led to fresh concern about the impact on children's health caused by the shift away from outdoor activities. Academics led by Dr Gavin Sandercock, a children's fitness expert at Essex University, studied how strong a group of 315 Essex 10-year-olds in 2008 were compared with 309 children the same age in 1998. They found that:

■ The number of sit-ups 10-year-olds can do declined by 27.1% between 1998 and 2008

■ Arm strength fell by 26% and grip strength by 7%

■ While one in 20 children in 1998 could not hold their own weight when hanging from wall bars, one in 10 could not do so in 2008.

"This is probably due to changes in activity patterns among English 10-year-olds, such as taking part in fewer activities like rope-climbing in PE and tree-climbing for fun," Sandercock said. "Typically, these activities boosted children's strength, making them able to lift and hold their own bodyweight." The fact that 10% could not do the wall bars test and another 10% refused to try was "really shocking", he added. "That probably shows that climbing and holding their own weight was something they hadn't done before."

Previous research has already shown that children are becoming more unfit, less active and more sedentary and, in many cases, heavier than before. But the new study also found that children in 2008 had the same body mass index (BMI) as those a decade earlier. Lead author Daniel Cohen, of London Metropolitan University, said this meant that, given their declining strength, the bodies of the recent test group are likely to contain more fat and less muscle then their predecessors. "That's really worrying from a health point of view. It's good news that their BMI hasn't risen, but worrying that pound for pound they're weaker and probably carrying more fat," said Sandercock.

The authors want ministers to reduce their reliance on the National Child Measurement Programme, which surveys primary schoolchildren's BMI, and introduce fitness testing in all schools – a call made last year by the then-chief medical officer, Sir Liam Donaldson. "Climbing trees and ropes used to be standard practice for children, but school authorities and 'health and safety' have contrived to knock the sap out of our children," said Tam Fry of the Child Growth Foundation.

"Falling off a branch used to be a good lesson in picking yourself up and learning to climb better. Now fear of litigation stops the child climbing in the first place." He added: "Fitness tests may or may not be appropriate, but Sandercock should not be discouraging the use of BMI measurements."

A Department of Health spokeswoman said the government had introduced several programmes promoting active lifestyles among the young, and the health survey for England reported back on physical activity levels. She added: "The Department of Health has no current plans to introduce fitness testing for children."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...place-activity

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Salahudeen
05-22-2011, 07:50 AM
It's true, kids to today are all ways inside on PS3 or Xbox.

Beardo
05-22-2011, 05:40 PM
^ It's seriously sad. Back in the TV-centric days, the kids would still go outside and run around, acting like the TV characters. But now, there isn't even that...

Maryan0
05-22-2011, 06:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Salahudeen
It's true, kids to today are all ways inside on PS3 or Xbox.
Or the Nintendo DS. My younger brothers are always on those things... and I mean always.
Salam

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Salahudeen
05-22-2011, 10:37 PM
If you give kids the choice to go and do a physical activitiy or stay in playing Xbox they will most of the time choose Xbox and this pattern stays as they grow older then they become lazy to even work out and go gym.

Reflections
05-22-2011, 11:16 PM
I'd deprive my children from them things..I'd want them to live like a REAL child..how they should..go outside..play..fight..fall down and hurt themselves..come back put torn pants and mud marks..that's what you call normal

Rhubarb Tart
05-22-2011, 11:24 PM
:sl:

The option of outdoor activities is not there for these children. Hey I have seen some parents that don’t even let their children out at ALL. They gave the following reasons: hanging in the wrong crowd, accidents, child abduction s, crime etc.

So what do people expect children to do if parents don’t let them out? Play on the computer!
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle3315597.ece
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...parenting.html

The school are also creating cotton wool children. Children even have less school trips then I did!
The tool is not the problem. It about how often you use those tools. Regulation isthe key here. Once or twice on playstation etc a week won’t hurt .

GuestFellow
05-26-2011, 10:39 AM
:sl:

I have a 3 year old niece and she enjoys playing outside, especially on the playground swings. My parents brought one, so could play in the garden.

As for the article, I think it misses the main problem. Even if kids become physically active, it does not mean they will lead a healthy lifestyle as they get older. I know people that were very healthy when little but gained weight as they get older and stopped exercising.

So young people need to become more physically active and learn how to maintain this throughout their life.

=)

Trumble
05-27-2011, 08:52 AM
I'd be very interested to see figures from, say 1948 to 1998 as well. What they are saying about consoles and computers now is pretty much the same as what they were saying about television when I was ten.

Totally agree with sweet106, particularly in regard to child abductions and such. The risk isn't actually any higher than in previous years, and probably actually rather lower. Such things are terrible of course, as are road accidents (and we must accept that risk of those is higher) but overall the risk is much much lower than in allowing your kids to become overweight, unfit and unhealthy couch potatoes.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!