/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Prayers, work and sleep in summer

bintYahya
05-22-2011, 03:52 PM
Assalam alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh,

I live up north, in Finland, and we get plenty of sun here. The prayer times are stretched quite evenly throughout the day and thus there's not so much time to sleep.

I work as a nurse and usually work is physically tiring. The shifts are 7am-3pm, 1pm-9pm and 9pm-7am. After an evening shift, it's especially difficult to get enough sleep before the following morning shift because of the timings of maghrib, isha and fajr. I come home at 9.30pm and I have to wait for maghrib and isha before going to bed. Then I have to wake up for fajr in less than 3 hours (or at least by sunrise which is at 4.28am). I leave for work at 6.30am. I can't even imagine how I'm going to survive through Ramadhaan - no time to sleep if I want to eat at night and fast during the day.

Does anyone have any ideas how to combine Islam and life in these circumstances? I'm asking for help because I'm starting to feel burnt out and all of this is new to me as a revert. I don't want to give up.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ramadhan
05-23-2011, 02:20 AM
:sl:

would it be possible for you if you set alarm clock on the prayer times?

So you come home, you sleep, then you wake up for maghrib and isya', then you go back to sleep, then you wake up for fajr, then you go back to sleep.
It may initially be hard, but after a few days you may adjust well to the timetable.

Try it first, and if you really cannot do it, maybe you can ask opinions from your local imam?

bintYahya
05-23-2011, 08:13 AM
I was initially thinking about what you suggested but I'm not so sure how I can manage sleep in 2 hour sets. I guess I'll have to try that out because it's better than no sleep at all. In sha Allah, I don't oversleep and miss prayers.

I asked for advice here because I don't have contact with a Muslim community in my area. I'll just have to contact someone somewhere else.

noorseeker
05-23-2011, 02:49 PM
so sister you finish at 9pm and then got work the next day early in the morning

is this because you are a nurse, as most employers, will not expect you to work shifts that are so close together.

its usually 15 hours till you are back at work in the U.K

But no matter what shift any one does, we all have to struggle at sometime during the year.

I work night shifts , so during winter can only sleeep 4 hours straight, and make it up later

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Salahudeen
05-23-2011, 05:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by bintYahya
Assalam alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh,

I live up north, in Finland, and we get plenty of sun here. The prayer times are stretched quite evenly throughout the day and thus there's not so much time to sleep.

I work as a nurse and usually work is physically tiring. The shifts are 7am-3pm, 1pm-9pm and 9pm-7am. After an evening shift, it's especially difficult to get enough sleep before the following morning shift because of the timings of maghrib, isha and fajr. I come home at 9.30pm and I have to wait for maghrib and isha before going to bed. Then I have to wake up for fajr in less than 3 hours (or at least by sunrise which is at 4.28am). I leave for work at 6.30am. I can't even imagine how I'm going to survive through Ramadhaan - no time to sleep if I want to eat at night and fast during the day.

Does anyone have any ideas how to combine Islam and life in these circumstances? I'm asking for help because I'm starting to feel burnt out and all of this is new to me as a revert. I don't want to give up.
You should speak to an imam or someone who will be able to tell you if you can combine the prayers. I think he will tell you that you can because here, when fajar is at 3am and isha is at 11pm, some masjids combine isha with maghrib, so they can go to sleep earlier and get up for Fajar.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!