/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The Prohibition of Music(Book) Download!

Samiun
05-24-2011, 06:45 AM
:sl:, I found this really good book on kalamullah.com and I think most of you have read. For those of you who haven't, download it right now. It explains the subject in great detail! DOWNLOAD IT HERE

Right click and check for 'Save Link As' for Mozilla Users and I think it works for other browsers too :)

Here's an excerpt of the book.

THE NARRATION OF AL- BUKHAARI:
The translation of the hadeeth follows: The Prophet (Allah's peace and blessings be upon him) said,
"There will be [at some future time] people from myUmmah [community of Muslims] who will seek
to make lawful: fornication, the wearing of silk,(*46) wine-drinking and the use of musical
instruments [ma'aazif]. Some people will stay at the side of the mountain and when their shepherd
comes in the evening to ask them for his needs, they will say, 'Return to us tomorrow.' Then Allah
will destroy them during the night by causing the mountain to fall upon them, while He changes
others into apes and swine. They will remain in such a state until the Day of Resurrection."(*47)

COMMENTARY ON AL- BUKHAARI'S HADEETH:
The portion of Al-Bukhaari's hadeeth, which is presently of concern, is that segment whose text
states: "There will be a people of myummah [nation] who will seek to make lawful: fornication, the wearing
of silk, wine-drinking and the use of musical instruments..."
The word of consequence here is the Arabic term 'ma'aazif'. In order to discover what it implies, one
must turn to Arabic dictionaries of hadeeth terms and other scholarly works. According toLisaanul
Arab,(*62) ma'aazif is the plural of mi'zaf or 'azf,(*63) and indicates objects or instruments of play or
leisure which are beat upon for their sound. If the singular form is used (mi'zaf), it specifically means a
type of large wooden drum used mainly by the people of Yemen. The noun 'azf also stands for the act
of playing with ma'aazif, i.e. hand drums (dufoof)(*64) or other instruments which are struck upon.
Al-Jowhari, the author of the ancient dictionary, As-Sihaah, asserts that ma'aazif signifies musical
instruments, al-'aazif indicates one who sings, and the 'azf of the wind is its voice.(*65) In the famous
Taajul 'Aroos min Jawaahiril Qaaamoos, besides quoting the above-mentioned meanings, the
commentator Az-Zabeedi says that ma'aazif are instruments of leisure which are drummed upon or
played, like the lute ('ood), the drum (tanboor), the small hand drum (daff) or other such musical
objects.(*66) And finally, in the famous dictionary, An-Nihaayah fee Ghareebil Hadeeth,(*67)
Ibnul-Atheer mentions the meaning of ma'aazif as it is used in various hadeeths. He comments, "By
'azf is meant playing with ma'aazif, consisting of dufoof [hand drums] or other instruments which are
beat upon." He also mentions the derived noun form, 'azeef, which means "sound" or voice", while
'azeeful jinn signifies the ringing of the jinns' voices. It is said that the people of the desert imagined
the shrill ringing of the winds in the desert air to be the voice of jinns.(*68)

THE NARRATIONS OF AHMAD BIN HANBAL:
There are a number of narrations proving the prohibition of music and instruments in Ahmad bin
Hanbal's Musnad. Although many of them are weak, two narrations from his compilation, which have
been verified to be authentic, follow.

THE FIRST TEXT:
The translation is:
The Prophet said: "Verily, Allah prohibited wine, gambling and al-koobah; and every intoxicant is
prohibited." Sufyan said, "I asked the narrator, Ali binBadheemah, 'What is al-koobah?' He answered,
'It is the drum.'"

THE SECOND TEXT:
It is translated thus:
Allah's Messenger said, "Verily, Allah has prohibited for myummah: wine, gambling, a drink distilled
from corn, the drum and the lute;(*79) while He supplemented me with another prayer, the
witr."(*80)
These narrations have also been related by other compilers, such as Al-Bayhaqi in his Shu'ubul
Eemaan with an authentic isnaad and At-Tabaraani in Al-Mu'jam Al-Kabeer with a jayyid (good)
isnaad. The detailed proof of their verified authenticity are mentioned in Al-Albaani's Saheehul
Jaami'is Sagheer.(*81) It is further authenticated in hisMishkaatul Masaabeeh(*82) and in his work,
Al-Ahadeeth As-Saheehah.(*83)

I will give no more spoilers, enjoy the book! ;D

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
al yunan
05-24-2011, 07:13 AM
Walaikum Assalam brother,

How come you changed your name ?^o)
Jazakallahu Khair and thanks for the Info and keep up the good work of enlightening others to the truth.

Just a reminder; the prophet s.a.w Inshallah said "My brothers and sisters are in the future and they are those who love me and follow my Sunnah even though they have never met me" (not ad verbum)

Masalam

Samiun
05-24-2011, 07:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by al yunan
Walaikum Assalam brother,

How come you changed your name ?^o)
Jazakallahu Khair and thanks for the Info and keep up the good work of enlightening others to the truth.

Just a reminder; the prophet s.a.w Inshallah said "My brothers and sisters are in the future and they are those who love me and follow my Sunnah even though they have never met me" (not ad verbum)

Masalam
:sl: I think Samiun is a pretty good name :), I was trying to use it as a nickname on my youtube channel but it turns out it landed here.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!