Homemade Cheddar Crackers

Ingredients:
■2 cups, sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
■4 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
■1 cup flour
■¾ teaspoons salt
■2 tablespoons cold water

Directions:

Pulse everything (except water) together in the food processor until the dough becomes crumbly.

Pulse in water, 1 tablespoon at a time.

Remove dough from the processor, wrap in plastic, and chill for 20 minutes.

Roll out the dough and cut into desired shapes. Place on a parchment paper or foil lined cookie sheet.

Bake at 350 degrees F/175C for about 15 minutes, or until crispy.

Allow to cool completely before storing in an airtight container.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Endymion
12-18-2012, 05:01 PM
Terrorist Macaroni :hmm: I like the cake btw,looks noble.Can anyone post a recipe of a nice,simple cake for the beginners :embarrass Im interested in baking these days and searching for a simple cake recipe.My brothers are scared and trying to stop me but i'll show them im good at baking as well :D

Note:The ingredients must be measured in ounce or ml,or T spoon and table spoon will also be nice but dont write any recipe that have grams in it :omg:

Mustafa2012
12-18-2012, 05:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Endymion

:wa: brother.

My mistake Actually, we have these shami kebabs in our fridge almost all the time to serve the guests and we call them just kebab and everyone knows which type of kebab we are talking about.Other types speaks for themselves as they look quite different.

And no offense taken.But kebab might take offense if you compare them with began.
That's ok sister. I'll let you off this time. But next time...

I understand that kebab might offense if compared with baigan but shaami kebab might also take offense at just being called kebab.

sister herb
12-18-2012, 07:34 PM
Terrorist Macaroni :hmm: I like the cake btw,looks noble.Can anyone post a recipe of a nice,simple cake for the beginners :embarrass Im interested in baking these days and searching for a simple cake recipe.My brothers are scared and trying to stop me but i'll show them im good at baking as well :D

Note:The ingredients must be measured in ounce or ml,or T spoon and table spoon will also be nice but dont write any recipe that have grams in it :omg:
This is recipe of basic sponge cake. With it you don´t need think about grams, just have three glasses and one teaspoon.

Basic sponge cake

This light, ethereal cake is made by mixing together the same volume of eggs, sugar and flour, as has been done by generations of Finnish home bakers.

However, do not be fooled by the simplicity of this recipe, but follow orders carefully. The biggest problem usually is that cake doesn´t rise in the oven - reason for this is usually that you haven´t beat eggs and sugar enough.

Since eggs are the only leavening agent in this batter, they must be of top quality, absolutely fresh and extremely well beaten with the sugar to produce a soft, successfully risen cake. If you are not an experienced cake baker, it might be best to add a pinch of baking powder to the flour, just to be on the safe side :-)

Slightly altered by adding butter, spices, nuts, etc, this basic sponge cake recipe can be used for making numerous different cakes, pastries and desserts.

3 eggs
sugar
flour
1 tsp baking powder

flavouring suggestions (optional):
1 - 2 tsp vanilla sugar
½ - 1 tsp (or to taste) cinnamon, finely crushed cardamom, powdered ginger or gingerbread spice
1 - 2 tsp grated lemon or orange zest

When making a sponge cake, always measure the sugar and flour in a right proportion to the volume of eggs. To do this, you will need two or three identical, clear, regular glasses. Start by breaking the eggs into one of the glasses. In the second glass, pour sugar until it reaches the same level as the level of eggs in the first glass (see the picture below).

Take the third glass and pour flour in, until it reaches the same level as the sugar and the eggs in the other glasses (see the picture above). It is very important to pour the flour lightly and loosely into the glass and not pack or press it in firmly.

(You can also do this with two glasses only, if you first pour out the measured sugar from the second glass into a mixing bowl, and then use the same glass again to measure the flour, matching it with the level of eggs in the first glass.) Whether you are making a one, two, three or a hundred-egg-cake, always use this same, simple measurement technique to get the best result.

After measuring, mix the sugar and eggs (and vanilla sugar) in the mixing bowl and beat them thoroughly, until they form a very thick and fluffy, white mixture.

The ingredients must be extremely well beaten, therefore I would strictly recommend using an electric mixer.

You must be able to "write" on the batter surface with the batter dripping from the lifted whisk and the figure should remain visible for some time, before sinking down into the batter (like in the picture below).

Very gently fold in the sifted flour with a spatula or a wire whisk, to avoid knocking out the air. Never beat the batter or use an electric mixer to incorporate the flour.

Pour the batter into a generously buttered and lightly floured cake pan — a ring/tube pan, springform pan, loaf pan, jelly roll pan — depending on the kind of cake you are making. Finnish sponge cake is traditionally baked in a ring pan for about 20 - 30 minutes. If the cake is intended to be cut in layers and filled, use an even-bottomed, tubeless cake pan. If baking the batter in a jelly roll pan, you can line the pan with a sheet of parchment paper instead of buttering and flouring it.

Bake the batter at 175 °C (or 347 by F) on the bottom rack of the oven for 15 - 40 minutes, depending on the amount and/or thickness of the batter and the size and shape of the cake pan used. Further reduce the baking time if using a jelly roll pan, as the batter is spread into a thin layer. Do not open the oven door until towards the end of the baking time, as this will cause the partly-risen cake to collapse.

The cake is done when it feels springy and firm when tapped on top or when a cake tester/toothpick inserted in it comes out clean. Let the cake cool slightly before unmoulding it. Place the cake on a wire rack and let cool completely.

And good luck to you!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
sister herb
12-18-2012, 07:42 PM
This is quite easy too but a little different than the basic sponge cake:

CURRANT CAKE

200 g butter
240 ml sugar
2 eggs
400 ml coarse wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
120 ml milk
1 tbsp lemon juice
grated zest of 1 lemon
100 ml currants or chopped raisins

Rinse the currants or raisins with boiling water, drain and let dry on paper towels. Separate the egg yolks from the whites and beat the whites until stiff. Beat the soft butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the egg yolks one at a time, beating well after every addition.

Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and the currants. Stir the dry ingredients into the butter mixture, alternating with the milk. Add the lemon juice and zest, and finally gently fold in the stiffly beaten egg whites.

Pour the batter in a buttered round, rectangular or ring/tube pan and bake at 180 - 190 °C (356 of F) for about 40 minutes, or until a cake tester/toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean. Towards the end of baking, cover the cake with a piece of foil if the surface seems to brown too much.

Let the cake cool for a while before unmouldnig it. Place the cake on a wire rack to cool completely. Serve the cake with coffee or tea. The consistency and flavour of the cake is better on the following day.

sister herb
12-18-2012, 08:58 PM
This too is easy if you like to try a pie:

Finnish Apple Pie

http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...ml#post1442191

Ghazalah
12-18-2012, 09:37 PM
Harb, I could do with some of those home made cheese crackers right now, dipped in sour sauce... :statisfie

I will give those a go inshAllah.

sister herb
12-18-2012, 11:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ghazalah
Harb, I could do with some of those home made cheese crackers right now, dipped in sour sauce... :statisfie

I will give those a go inshAllah.
I found recipe from blog of muslim sister where she told she usually makes them with her kids. So they should to be quite easy to make.

I make them sometimes when I want some halal snacks.

Mustafa2012
12-18-2012, 11:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister harb
I found recipe from blog of muslim sister where she told she usually makes them with her kids. So they should to be quite easy to make.

I make them sometimes when I want some halal snacks.
:salamext:

Sister, do you have a restaurant or bakery?

Have you ever thought about opening one?

:ia: If you do I think you will do well.

sister herb
12-19-2012, 12:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mustafa2012

Sister, do you have a restaurant or bakery?

Have you ever thought about opening one?

:ia: If you do I think you will do well.
No I haven´t but I have thought it sometimes. I have basic education for it already and last weeks I have made homemade sweets to some bakeries. Maybe I should think it more...

:statisfie

Thanks for advice.

Mustafa2012
12-19-2012, 10:45 AM
No I haven´t but I have thought it sometimes. I have basic education for it already and last weeks I have made homemade sweets to some bakeries. Maybe I should think it more...

Thanks for advice.
Yes that would be a good idea :ia:

Make some of your best dishes/cakes and ask local bakeries or restaurants if they would be interested in a sample of your food.

If they like it then think of a good price to offer it to them at.

:ia: that can be a start for your catering business.

Endymion
12-19-2012, 06:15 PM
Thank you so much harby harb,they are really simple,yummy looking cakes :D Im gonna try them soon just let me find my molds dunno where i put them :hmm: or may be my bro's hid them some where :skeleton:But i'll manage that in sha Allah and then,nobody will be able to stop me agagagagaaa ;D

Wow,didn't know cakes attract Ghazalah otherwise i would have asked you months before :D

Endymion
12-19-2012, 06:44 PM
Treat for sweet lovers :statisfie I made this halwa yesterday,it was a tiresome job :hmm:

Chaney ki daal ka halwa (Sweet made with Gram lentil).

Today was Mum's day.She liked the rice i made previously and asked me to prepare them again.I wrote the recipe (phew) so just fast forward for my Biryoni students :p :hiding:

Veggie.

Chicken.

Rice.

Together.

Done.

Raita preparation.

Aaa i enjoyed so much :D

جوري
12-19-2012, 07:20 PM
Everyday is a feast at sis endy's :ma: & what talent.… I made shrimp stir fry yesterday, plus shoestring fries plus fried fish and a vanilla chocolate cake with mocha chocolate frosting with orange zest..

sister herb
12-19-2012, 07:23 PM
^^ Looks very tasty but did´t you forget something, sis Endymion?

Where are recipes?

Cabdullahi
12-19-2012, 07:25 PM
basically 'fried' everything

Ramadan90
12-19-2012, 08:26 PM
Sister Endymion: Everything looks so delicious! :O

Cabdullahi
12-19-2012, 08:53 PM
Psycho Sandwich:

Recipe
1 Big Khubz
1 can of tuna
1/2 can of sardines
Lots of mayo
A bit of salad
A lot of edam cheese

Endymion
12-20-2012, 09:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by شَادِنُ
Everyday is a feast at sis endy's :ma: & what talent.… I made shrimp stir fry yesterday, plus shoestring fries plus fried fish and a vanilla chocolate cake with mocha chocolate frosting with orange zest..
Why am i not there

^^ Looks very tasty but did´t you forget something, sis Endymion?

Where are recipes?
Coming soon :hiding:

~Zaria~
12-20-2012, 09:38 AM
MashaAllah, we have some real cooking talent here!

We should have a cooking contest (similiar to the writing one)....not sure who will be the taste judges though ;P

I hope you guys are not only feasting, but exercising these carbs off as well : D

Periwinkle18
12-20-2012, 03:31 PM
I just saw the pics wow MashaAllah tht looks gr8

Endymion
12-20-2012, 04:17 PM
I like the idea sister Zaria,im ready to be the judge :p (Note for the contestants:The Judge accepts bribe :D)

Oh Ooopss.Harby is staring :omg: Okay okay im gonna write the recipe :exhausted

Chaney ki daal ka Halwa.(Sweet made with Gram lentil).

Ingredients.

Gram lentil.1/2 kg
Sugar.1/2 kg
Milk.1/2 kg
Red food color.1/2 T spoon
Cardamom.(Separate seeds and grind).6
Ghee/Oil.1 cup.
Almond,pistachio and crushed coconut.As required to decorate and for taste.
Khoya.1 cup.

Method.
Soak gram lentil for almost 3 hours,now drain water,add fresh water and boil till tender and water dries.
Let it cool and then grind.
Heat oil,fry cardamom seeds till aroma comes,add gram lentil paste and cook on low flame till it changes color.
Now add sugar,milk and food color and keep stirring.At this stage,lentil starts jumping so keep your face away or better wear a helmet :p
Cook till halwa leave the pan (Its the sign halwa is done).
Add almonds and pistachio and pour the halwa on a greased tray.Make it even with the help of plate and spread crushed coconut and leave till cool.
Cut into pieces and enjoy :statisfie

This halwa is better called "Patience Halwa" coz you have to cook and stir too much to get the real taste.So have patience and work hard to get the real halwa :D

جوري
12-21-2012, 05:18 AM

Periwinkle18
12-21-2012, 05:54 AM
^ haha :p

Pure Purple
12-21-2012, 06:09 AM
This halwa is better called "Patience Halwa" coz you have to cook and stir too much to get the real taste.So have patience and work hard to get the real halwa
lol when my we make this,my mother makes turns for stirring ,15 min me next my sister again my mother......lol I hate last part when it turn stiff consistency.

sister herb
12-22-2012, 01:38 AM
Moroccan Stuffed Dates

Ingredients:
12 seedless dates (or remove seeds by yourself)
2 oz. softened cream cheese
1 tablespoon honey
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
2 tablespoons chopped walnuts + more for garnish, if desired

Directions:
Slice 12 dates down one side longwise. Set aside. Stir cream cheese together with honey, cinnamon, almond extract, sugar and chopped walnuts. Fill each date with about 1 teaspoon of filling. Top with more walnuts if desired. Serve.

جوري
12-22-2012, 01:40 AM
I wuvvvvvvvvvv dates and caramelized pecans or walnuts.. I have an amazing recipe for baby greens with Roquefort cheese, pear and caramelized pecans that's just to die for.. also another one with figs.. mmmm Allah :swt: created for our enjoyment such amazing and healthy things..:D

sister herb
12-22-2012, 09:33 AM
I wuvvvvvvvvvv dates and caramelized pecans or walnuts.. I have an amazing recipe for baby greens with Roquefort cheese, pear and caramelized pecans that's just to die for.. also another one with figs.. mmmm Allah :swt: created for our enjoyment such amazing and healthy things..:D
You have an amazing recipe to something? Please share it with others.

:p

جوري
12-22-2012, 04:31 PM
here it is:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/roquefort-pear-salad/

I had this in a fancy hotel once and it came to me by mistake I'd never mix sweet and salty but ah what a blessed union.. makes you think twice about the things you turn down..

sister herb
12-23-2012, 01:06 PM

Caller الداعي
12-23-2012, 01:28 PM
this thread have a warning for those who love food! :heated:

جوري
12-26-2012, 04:11 AM
two great recipes I experimented with and came out great..
this one is for puff pastry
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/puff-pa...10=1&e7=Recipe

so easy just three ingredients you already have on hands chill over night.. I stuffed it with brie slivered almonds and apricot jam.

and the other recipe is for cookies I am crazy for cookies in the winter but I'd one cookie & and a half instead of dinner because it is loaded with calories imsad so it is a trade off, I am sure some of you don't give a fig and others of you trying to gain weight so if you want to pack the pounds have three of these with full fat milk for breaky, lunch and dindin :D

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/eggless...utter-cookies/

of course I added white chocolate morsels to it so it is more fat :shade: but oh God sooooooooooooooooooo good and much prettier than those other people's.. couple it with coffee ..

I keep sour cream and buttermilk powder on hand and just transform them the time of making stuff..
puff pastry made at home is better than the store bought crap and you can stuff it with anything.. sweet or savory..

:w:

oh p.s I might take pix tomorrow if there's anything left.

Endymion
12-26-2012, 04:59 PM
Me want cookies not pics.

جوري
12-29-2012, 12:13 AM
:sl:

has anyone tried flaxseed as replacement of eggs in cakes or cookies? I really enjoyed the peanut-butter cookies I made I think because there was nothing eggy at all about them.. the peanut butter probably provided the right consistency for the cookie not to fall apart, I read somewhere that one can use applesauce for that too but I have tried it and it just wasn't to my liking plus it imparted a strange aftertaste...
can someone pls. let me know what they've used in place of eggs with some success.. and whether or not they think flaxseed would work? I just read about it here thought I'd ask before I take the plunge & buy it.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...5174118AAaGDsq

& like I said before I don't have egg allergies or anything and do like eggs in savory dishes just not sweets..

QueenofHerts
12-29-2012, 12:32 AM
Stuffed dates look good.

specs
12-29-2012, 12:50 AM
This thread is making me hungry :( I want to eat these yummy foods right now.. :/ lol.

GuestFellow
12-29-2012, 01:09 AM
I want something sour to eat.

جوري
12-29-2012, 01:15 AM

there you go

GuestFellow
12-29-2012, 01:20 AM
^ What shall I have it with? I can't eat cream.

جوري
12-29-2012, 01:23 AM
baked potato

GuestFellow
12-29-2012, 01:24 AM
^ Yuck.

Anything better?

Periwinkle18
12-29-2012, 06:24 AM
Hey Akhi if u don't like something u should stay quiet one shouldn't say yuck to food.

GuestFellow
12-29-2012, 01:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Periwinkle18
Hey Akhi if u don't like something u should stay quiet one shouldn't say yuck to food.
Even if that involves goats eye? : P

Some people eat goats eye. o_O

Periwinkle18
12-29-2012, 02:02 PM
Food is food ,a rizq from Allah so I guess if you don't like something one should just stay quiet n eat something u liKe. We should Thank Allah for what ever we have.

Endymion
12-29-2012, 02:06 PM
Deport him from IB Kitchen Club

sister herb
12-30-2012, 08:26 PM
Finnish crepes

Traditional Finnish crêpes are small — about 8 cm in diameter — and thin. This batter is also suitable for frying bigger thin crêpes, with lacy edges.

There are three important things to note in order to produce good-quality crêpes.
First thing is not to use too much flour in the batter, a considerable fault found in most recipes, especially in the "foreign" ones. Using too much flour produces crêpes with an unpleasantly dense and thick consistency and a floury flavour. Secondly, the batter must be left to rest for at least an hour before cooking so that the flour will absorb the liquid and swell, thickening the batter suitably without the use of excess flour. Thirdly, use an excellent crêpe or pancake pan that heats evenly and has a non-stick coating.

500 ml milk
3 eggs
½ tsp salt
200 ml flour
(50 g butter)

Melt the butter and let it cool. Whisk the eggs and the salt in the milk. Add the flour little at a time, whisking continually. Finally add the melted butter which helps to prevent the crêpes from sticking to the pan during frying. However, if you have a truly good non-stick coating in your crêpe pan, the butter may be omitted. Cover the batter and let it stand for at least 1 hour for the flour to absorb the liquid.

Heat a pancake pan until very hot. Generously butter the pan and pour the first batch of the crêpe batter in the rounds. Fry until the bubbles on the batter surface begin to set and flip the crêpes over.

Fry the crêpes until they are golden brown, although the first batch, as with any batter, usually turns out bad — pale, bland and slightly soggy.
Continue frying with the rest of the batter.
Serve the crêpes piping hot, fresh from the pan, with sweet or savoury topping — or filling, if frying bigger crêpes.

Finnish crêpes are usually served as a dessert with jam, fresh berries or fruit, ice cream, whipped cream, molasses, etc.
However, someones prefer them just spread with a little butter, let to melt on their surface, and sugar sprinkled on top.

Source: Nordic Recipe Archive

جوري
01-03-2013, 01:54 AM
if anyone has the recipe for any of these eye candy deserts I'd sooooooo appreciate it :D

Panna cotta with Raspberries, sweet wine jelly, raspberry sorbet, raspberry and black pepper tuille

Chocolate Tower

hazelnut pudding with poached red wine pears and tomato jam

Arabian temptation

Two melon soup with yogurt parfait

Cherry Vacherin

Nougatin Crunch, hazelnut genoese, tanzania chocolate mousse, praline ice cream, caramel cream brulee

2906260064 34847cfb3a z 1?zz1 -

Rhubarb and strawberry strudel

Rich summer berry pudding

Grilled pear steak, with polenta frites and orange tarragon sauce, cambozola fondant

Red berry trifle, rich cassis mousse with chocolate feuilletine and yogurt - honey ice cream

Valrhona Chocolate Tart served with vanilla Panna Cotta in Brandy Snap basked

Carving Chocolate

Summer berry pudding with vanilla mascarpone, blackberry tuille, bittersweet chocolate tart

Assiette of Coffee, espresso and chocolate delight, Turkish coffee parfait, gateau opera, apricot comfit

Nougatin Crunch, hazelnut genoese, tanzania chocolate mousse, praline ice cream, caramel cream brulee

Valrhona chocolate tart served with vanilla panna Cotta in Brandy snap basked

Chocolate mint & vanilla souffle, caramelized fruits, soft berries, vanilla ice cream

Bittersweet Ganache with Orange Caviar

Sable Breton with apple, candid hazelnuts, vanilla cream & hazelnut ice cream

Study of Catalonia, creme catalana, ravioli di nocciola, chocolate toffee & sangria caviar

Trio of Asian Cream Brulee

Poached Quince Mille Feuille , raspberry mint salad, caramel ice cream

3122492507 02b00c95b2 z 1?zz1 -

Rhubarb Strudel with lemon ricotta cake, pink peppercorn berry broth

Ice Pallet

Philadelphia Flan

Variation of Chocolate

Selection of Sherbets

Seared fruit Skewers, lemon grass infused tapioca broth, coconut ice cream

Chestnut Tiramisu, maron glace and morello cherry ice cream

Black Forrest

Arabian Nights

Las Vegas Pineapple

Chocolate Checkerboard, dark & vanilla chocolate mousse, candied almonds, hazelnut ice cream

Coconut Cream Brulee, tropical fruit compote, buttermilk sherbet, cactus fig sauce, macadamia biscotti

Yogurt Honey Panna Cotta, almond biscotti, grand marnier infused strawberries

Chocolate Custard Cake, exotic fruit gelee and caramelized bananas

Lemon Curd, Chocolate Mint salad & Honey Cress

Candy Coral and Pulsing Xenia

Tropic Thunder

Raspberry & Key Lime

Chilled Citrus Consommé

Chocolate Cheese Mousse - Hot Orange Carrot Gelée - Fig Mint Confit

Warm Chocolate Tart with raspberry caramel and lemon sherbet

Braised Peach, french Brioche with Amaretto and Yogurt sherbet

Peanut Butter Mousse

Tangy Citrus Bites

Sweet Carrot & Creme Cheese

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/pet...7607732722804/

sister herb
01-03-2013, 06:33 AM
Have you visited in some restaurant what is meant in the Michelin Guide? Michelin star restaurants foods have been made as for art, not for eat, like:

Easy foods to here, please.

جوري
01-03-2013, 06:48 PM
Such food although miniature & unfortunately phenomenally priced is indeed edible and it packs so much flavor but difficult to make as far as I am concerned they're restaurant chef' secrets :muddlehea not meant for us lay folks...

sister herb
01-03-2013, 07:09 PM
I wouldn´t even know how to eat those; could I lick sweet sauce from the plate when it is there as drops around the dessert?

جوري
01-04-2013, 12:15 AM
I'd start with the sugar decoration and work my way in :D

Mustafa2012
01-04-2013, 12:54 AM

Whoah! :ma:

Those desserts look like works of art. Like something you'd eat only on a special occasion.

If I saw one of them I wouldn't want to eat it. I'd just admire it for ages.

جوري
01-04-2013, 01:06 AM
I always take a picture first and then dig in.. whenever I stay in a fancy hotel and order room service I always take a pic...

islamica
01-04-2013, 01:57 AM
What were you doing in a hotel? :)

جوري
01-04-2013, 02:03 AM
eating mostly :D

islamica
01-04-2013, 04:12 AM
lol really funny. you traveling sis or visiting some function? :)

جوري
01-04-2013, 04:13 AM
People hotel either for business or pleasure & I assure you I wasn't being pleasured..

:w:

islamica
01-04-2013, 04:19 AM
if it was pleasure, you'd probably have more desert on there :D

GuestFellow
01-04-2013, 11:05 PM
I want a box of candy!

abcdcool2012
01-04-2013, 11:31 PM
sorry sisters for disturbing you all can i have biryani reciepe ?

Periwinkle18
01-05-2013, 10:44 AM
Do u guys get shan bombay biryani masala's over there?? If yes then I cm teach u how to make it.

We make biryani with tht it's really good

You can go to www.zaiqa.com if u understand Urdu, shireen anwar is really good check out her recipes

Periwinkle18
01-05-2013, 10:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by GuestFellow
I want a box of candy!
Hmm buh candies are bad for the teeth :s

sister herb
01-05-2013, 10:54 AM
From Iraq:

Al Biryani from Iraq

Vegetable Part

½ cup pine nuts
1 cup raisins
1 peeled potato
2 large onions
3 carrots

1. Dice potato, onions, carrots. Potatoes should be cut into ½ inch cubes
2. Soak cut potatoes in water for 10 minutes. Drain.
3. Saute potatoes until brown. Set potatoes to the side.
4. Saute onions until brown (around 10 minutes). Set to the side.
5. Saute carrots until slightly cooked (around 5 minutes). Add pine nuts and raisins to carrots and sauté for another 5 minutes. Add onions and potatoes to the mixture.

Rice Part:

1 ½ teaspoon salt
1 t. pepper
2 teaspoons ground cardamom
1 ½ teaspoons saffron
1/3 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/3 teaspoon cumin
2 cups basmati rice
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 bay leaves
1 cinnamon stick
1 cup vermicelli pieces or angel hair pasta
1 cup frozen peas
½ cup mint
½ cup scallion
½ cup parsley

Optional: Almonds, Cashews, Chicken, or Lamb

1. Combine salt, pepper, cardomom, saffron, cloves, ginger, and cumin.

2. Bring rice, spice mix, cinnamon, and bay leaves to boil in 5 cups water. Turn down heat to simmer and cook for 15 minutes.

3. While rice is boiling, heat skillet and add pasta. Cook for 2 minutes.

3. Add pasta and 1 cup frozen peas to the rice. There should still be some liquid still in the pot. Cover and cook for 5 more minutes.

4. Turn off heat and let pot sit, covered for 10 minutes. Squeeze ½ lemon over rice to stop it from being sticky.

5. Cut up mint, scallion, and parsley. Layer with the rice. Add vegetable mixture to the layers. If you are adding meat or nuts, this is the time to stir them in. Serve warm or room temperature.

-------------------------------------------
Arab Lamb Biryani Recipe

6 servings
•6 cups rice
•1 tablespoon saffron
•3 lbs (1.5 kg) lamb leg or shoulder
•2 tablespoons bezar (pepper)
•6 large onions
•1 1/2 cups yellow split peas
•1 cup sultanas
•1/2 cup whole blanched almonds
•4 large tomatoes
•4 tablespoons tomato paste
•2 teaspoons turmeric
•salt to taste
•10 cardamom pods
•6 large cinnamon sticks
•12 cloves
•1 cup corn oil
•10 cups water

Preparation

- Wash and soak rice for 2 hours. Soak saffron in one tablespoon of rosewater, diluted with 1/4 cup of water. Chop onions, boil and drain the yellow peas and chop tomatoes.

- Boil cloves, peppercorns, cardamom and cinnamon in the water and add salt to taste. Once it has started to boil, add the rice. When it is half cooked, drain in a colander and set aside.

-Wash and dry the meat, cut with the bones into 12.5 cm (5") pieces and put into a large pot. Cover with water and bring to the boil.
Continue boiling until meat is tender, skimming off froth where necessary. Drain. Put salt and pepper on meat. Place the meat in a pan and fry in half the corn oil and lightly brown. Remove and place on a dish.

- Add the onions to the oil, brown and then add turmeric and all remaining ingredients. Add salt to taste and stir gently to ensure all is mixed well. Add enough water to make a very thick paste. Cook slowly for five minutes and remove from heat.

- In another large pot, pour in a little corn oil, then place a layer of rice, then meat, then onion and tomato mixture and continue layering until ingredients are all used up. Drizzle the remaining oil over the top, then the saffron. Cover with a cloth and tightly-fitting lid and cook over a very low heat for 20 minutes. Serve immediately.

sister herb
01-05-2013, 10:56 AM
Hmm buh candies are bad for the teeth :s
Better to send box of candy and a toothbrush together. :statisfie

Cabdullahi
01-05-2013, 11:44 AM
Al biryani from somalia

Basmati rice 500 grams
biryani masala
4 tbsp
Black cumin seeds
1/2 tsp
Chicken pieces
1000 grams
Chopped coriander
1bunch
Chopped mint
1Bunch
Curd 2 cup
Garam masala whole
4tsp
Ginger garlic paste
4tbsp

Golden fried sliced onions
3/4 cup

Oil grams 50
Red chili powder
3tsp

Rose Water optional
2tbsp

Saffron
1/4 grams

Salt to taste

Sliced onions
1cup

Periwinkle18
01-05-2013, 11:47 AM
^ wow didn't know the Akhi cooks

The Somali biryani looks like pulao.

Cabdullahi
01-05-2013, 12:04 PM
^ wow didn't know the Akhi cooks
I don't cook. Ain't nobody got time for that!.

Ali_008
01-05-2013, 12:15 PM
if anyone has the recipe for any of these eye candy deserts i'd sooooooo appreciate it :d

panna cotta with raspberries, sweet wine jelly, raspberry sorbet, raspberry and black pepper tuille

chocolate tower

arabian temptation

two melon soup with yogurt parfait

cherry vacherin

nougatin crunch, hazelnut genoese, tanzania chocolate mousse, praline ice cream, caramel cream brulee

rhubarb and strawberry strudel

rich summer berry pudding

grilled pear steak, with polenta frites and orange tarragon sauce, cambozola fondant

red berry trifle, rich cassis mousse with chocolate feuilletine and yogurt - honey ice cream

valrhona chocolate tart served with vanilla panna cotta in brandy snap basked

carving chocolate

summer berry pudding with vanilla mascarpone, blackberry tuille, bittersweet chocolate tart

assiette of coffee, espresso and chocolate delight, turkish coffee parfait, gateau opera, apricot comfit

nougatin crunch, hazelnut genoese, tanzania chocolate mousse, praline ice cream, caramel cream brulee

chocolate mint & vanilla souffle, caramelized fruits, soft berries, vanilla ice cream

bittersweet ganache with orange caviar

sable breton with apple, candid hazelnuts, vanilla cream & hazelnut ice cream

study of catalonia, creme catalana, ravioli di nocciola, chocolate toffee & sangria caviar

trio of asian cream brulee

poached quince mille feuille , raspberry mint salad, caramel ice cream

rhubarb strudel with lemon ricotta cake, pink peppercorn berry broth

ice pallet

philadelphia flan

variation of chocolate

selection of sherbets

seared fruit skewers, lemon grass infused tapioca broth, coconut ice cream

chestnut tiramisu, maron glace and morello cherry ice cream

black forrest

arabian nights

las vegas pineapple

chocolate checkerboard, dark & vanilla chocolate mousse, candied almonds, hazelnut ice cream

coconut cream brulee, tropical fruit compote, buttermilk sherbet, cactus fig sauce, macadamia biscotti

yogurt honey panna cotta, almond biscotti, grand marnier infused strawberries

chocolate custard cake, exotic fruit gelee and caramelized bananas

lemon curd, chocolate mint salad & honey cress

candy coral and pulsing xenia

tropic thunder

raspberry & key lime

chilled citrus consommé

chocolate cheese mousse - hot orange carrot gelée - fig mint confit

warm chocolate tart with raspberry caramel and lemon sherbet

braised peach, french brioche with amaretto and yogurt sherbet

peanut butter mousse

tangy citrus bites

sweet carrot & creme cheese

scarred for life

Ali_008
01-05-2013, 12:22 PM
if anyone has the recipe for any of these eye candy deserts i'd sooooooo appreciate it :d

panna cotta with raspberries, sweet wine jelly, raspberry sorbet, raspberry and black pepper tuille

chocolate tower

arabian temptation

two melon soup with yogurt parfait

cherry vacherin

rhubarb and strawberry strudel

rich summer berry pudding

grilled pear steak, with polenta frites and orange tarragon sauce, cambozola fondant

red berry trifle, rich cassis mousse with chocolate feuilletine and yogurt - honey ice cream

carving chocolate

summer berry pudding with vanilla mascarpone, blackberry tuille, bittersweet chocolate tart

assiette of coffee, espresso and chocolate delight, turkish coffee parfait, gateau opera, apricot comfit

chocolate mint & vanilla souffle, caramelized fruits, soft berries, vanilla ice cream

bittersweet ganache with orange caviar

sable breton with apple, candid hazelnuts, vanilla cream & hazelnut ice cream

study of catalonia, creme catalana, ravioli di nocciola, chocolate toffee & sangria caviar

trio of asian cream brulee

poached quince mille feuille , raspberry mint salad, caramel ice cream

rhubarb strudel with lemon ricotta cake, pink peppercorn berry broth

ice pallet

philadelphia flan

variation of chocolate

selection of sherbets

seared fruit skewers, lemon grass infused tapioca broth, coconut ice cream

chestnut tiramisu, maron glace and morello cherry ice cream

black forrest

arabian nights

las vegas pineapple

chocolate checkerboard, dark & vanilla chocolate mousse, candied almonds, hazelnut ice cream

coconut cream brulee, tropical fruit compote, buttermilk sherbet, cactus fig sauce, macadamia biscotti

yogurt honey panna cotta, almond biscotti, grand marnier infused strawberries

chocolate custard cake, exotic fruit gelee and caramelized bananas

lemon curd, chocolate mint salad & honey cress

candy coral and pulsing xenia

tropic thunder

raspberry & key lime

chilled citrus consommé

chocolate cheese mousse - hot orange carrot gelée - fig mint confit

warm chocolate tart with raspberry caramel and lemon sherbet

braised peach, french brioche with amaretto and yogurt sherbet

peanut butter mousse

tangy citrus bites

sweet carrot & creme cheese

scarred for life

sister herb
01-05-2013, 01:03 PM
^^ If I would have enough money to go restaurant what serves kind of desserts... I think I would prefer to go to eat some simple pizza instead and give rest of the money to charity...

Mustafa2012
01-11-2013, 11:35 PM
^^ If I would have enough money to go restaurant what serves kind of desserts... I think I would prefer to go to eat some simple pizza instead and give rest of the money to charity...

:jz: for your intention.

What if you buy a book that teaches how to make those desserts at home.

Then you could share it with your family and get reward for it :ia:.

Mustafa2012
01-12-2013, 12:07 AM

So here's the latest on my cooking adventures...

Round 1: Simple Daal. :alhamd: It came out well.

Recipe

Ingredients:

1 Onion
2 cloves of garlic crushed
2 tsp of cumin powder
2 tsp of curry powder
Salt as required
4 tbs oil.
250 gms Yellow lentils. The small thin type.
Tomato paste - Passata

Instructions:

Soak lentils for half hour. Then wash 3 times.
Slice onion.
Heat Oil.
Fry 1 onion until brown.
Add crushed garlic for a minute.
Add spices with 50-100 ml of water.
Cook for 3-5 mins until water reduces to half.
Add tomato paste.
Add daal and salt.
Stir until everything is mixed well.
Add water until daal is covered fully.
Cook until daal becomes soft.
Stir regularly making sure it doesn't stick to bottom.
When daal is soft and there is a soupy liquid then it is ready :ia:

Round 2: Baked Salmon. :alhamd: This is probably my best attempt at cooking to date. I'm saving it for tomorrow so I'll let you know how it tasted later :ia:

Recipe

Ingredients:

500 lb salmon steak
1 medium sized onion
1 large red chilli pepper
Half a lemon
1 tbs of oil
2 tsp cumin powder
2 tsp tikka masala
2 cloves of crushed garlic
Salt as required

Instructions:

Wash salmon well.
Slice onion.
Slice chilli.
Place salmon in a large bowl.
Make slits all over salmon for spices to soak in.
Squash lemon over salmon steak until all juice is over.
Spread salt all over.
Sprinkle salt and spices all over.
Sprinkle chilli all over.
Rub everything into salmon steak so that the steak can absorb it.
Cover and let it lie for 10-15 mins.
Pre-heat oven to 350 F.
Place salmon steak carefully with all spices on top of it on a large piece of alumimium foil.
Pour all juice and spices onto salmon steak.
Place onion slices all over top of salmon steak.
Wrap and fold foil over in 1 cm folds so that no heat can escape from top and sides.
Place in oven for 30 mins.
After 30 mins take out and brush with oil.
Leave another 15 mins until a little brown.
Then remove from oven and serve with rice or anything else you desire.
And enjoy :ia:

sister herb
01-12-2013, 02:43 PM

:jz: for your intention.

What if you buy a book that teaches how to make those desserts at home.

Then you could share it with your family and get reward for it :ia:.
Salam alaykum

One my professional is a cook. I can already make all of them.

Maybe.

Jslayton
01-12-2013, 03:30 PM
Later this month ill when i go shopping ill have to pick up the ingridents for the Round 1: Simple Daal. It came out well. it looks so yummy.

Mustafa2012
01-12-2013, 03:39 PM
Salam alaykum

One my professional is a cook. I can already make all of them.

Maybe.

:ma: that's really good to hear.

I had a feeling you might be one.

Please post some of your best dessert pictures if you get a chance.

:jz:

sister herb
01-12-2013, 04:10 PM

:ma: that's really good to hear.

I had a feeling you might be one.

Please post some of your best dessert pictures if you get a chance.

:jz:
Salam alaykum

I haven´t any dessert pictures... my family eats them before camera.

A week ago I made sacher cake and used to it 430 g chocolate. It oops disappeared during one day.

:embarrass Oh my overweight family...

Jslayton
01-12-2013, 04:44 PM
atleast they eat all your cooking now put them on a diet make them lots of veggies and no cake :P

Muhaba
01-12-2013, 05:33 PM
i just got this really awesome cookbook with dessert recipes (cookies, cakes, and other baked goods). In-sha-Allah will try them soon.

sister herb
01-30-2013, 05:07 PM
Marshmallow Crispie Squares

Ingredients
Serves: 12

50g butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
200g marshmallows
100g crisped rice cereal

Preparation method
Prep: 5 mins | Cook: 5 mins | Extra time: 1 hour 50 mins

1. Grease a 22x33cm (9x13 in) tin with oil or butter.

2. In a large saucepan, melt the butter over low heat. Add the vanilla. Melt the marshmallows into the butter, stirring. Add the cereal when the marshmallows have melted; stir until cereal is coated. Quickly pour into the prepared tin. Use a sheet of greaseproof paper to press the mixture down flat and evenly into the tin.

3. Let set for 2 to 3 hours. Cut into squares.

sister herb
01-30-2013, 08:32 PM
Brazilian brigadeiros

Ingredients
Makes: 20 brigadeiros

3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
15g butter
1 (397g) tin condensed sweetened milk

Preparation method
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 10 mins | Extra time: 30 mins, cooling

1. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine cocoa, butter and condensed milk. Cook, stirring, until thickened, about 10 minutes.
2. Remove from heat and let rest until cool enough to handle. Form into small balls and eat at once or chill until serving.

To decorate
Roll the balls in chocolate-flavour strands for a traditional Brazilian touch!

sister herb
01-31-2013, 09:52 AM
Chocolate Cherry Bites

Ingredients
Serves: 50

125g unsalted butter, melted
6 tablespoons golden syrup
1 (397g) tin sweetened condensed milk
1.35kg icing sugar
3 3/4 (225g) jars cocktail cherries, drained
350g plain chocolate chips
1/2 tablespoon margarine

Preparation method
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 5 mins | Extra time: 4 hours, setting

1. In a large mixing bowl, combine butter, golden syrup, sweetened condensed milk, vanilla and sugar. Knead dough and form it into balls with a cherry wrapped in the middle. The balls should be approximately the size of walnuts. Place balls in the freezer to chill.

2. In a double boiler, melt chocolate chips and margarine together. Dip the cooled balls in the chocolate, let set on baking parchment.

Ingredients
If cocktail cherries (also known as maraschino cherries) aren't available, substitute in glace cherries. It must be noted that the two aren't the same thing. Glace cherries are candied and a lot sweeter.

sister herb
01-31-2013, 08:20 PM
White Chocolate Orange Fudge

Ingredients

900g white chocolate, melted
450g cream cheese
750g icing sugar
1 tablespoon orange extract

Preparation method
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 2 mins | Extra time: 2 hours

1. Beat cream cheese into melted chocolate until well blended. Beat in sugar until mixture is smooth. Stir in orange extract. Spread in a 20cm square dish and let set
before cutting into squares. Store in refrigerator.

Qurratul Ayn
01-31-2013, 08:28 PM
Marshmallow Crispie Squares

Ingredients

50g butter
200g marshmallows
100g crisped rice cereal

Preparation method
Prep: 5 mins | Cook: 5 mins | Extra time: 1 hour 50 mins

1. Grease a 22x33cm (9x13 in) tin with oil or butter.

2. In a large saucepan, melt the butter over low heat. Add the vanilla. Melt the marshmallows into the butter, stirring. Add the cereal when the marshmallows have melted; stir until cereal is coated. Quickly pour into the prepared tin. Use a sheet of greaseproof paper to press the mixture down flat and evenly into the tin.

3. Let set for 2 to 3 hours. Cut into squares.
Where's the CHOCOLATE?! I prefer chocolate ones! :p

I have to have chocolate in every dessert... It's absolutely delicious, funnily enough I don't like it as a chocolate bar but give me desserts and puddings made of CHOCOLATE...

:haha:

Brazilian brigadeiros

Ingredients
Makes: 20 brigadeiros

3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
15g butter
1 (397g) tin condensed sweetened milk

Preparation method
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 10 mins | Extra time: 30 mins, cooling

1. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine cocoa, butter and condensed milk. Cook, stirring, until thickened, about 10 minutes.
2. Remove from heat and let rest until cool enough to handle. Form into small balls and eat at once or chill until serving.

To decorate
Roll the balls in chocolate-flavour strands for a traditional Brazilian touch!
Now this, I like.

Delicioso

sister herb
01-31-2013, 08:44 PM
^ Ok, more chocolate desserts to you then... :D

Very easy chocolate truffles

Ingredients
Makes: 60 truffles

340g chocolate
60g butter
200ml double cream
50g caster sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
2 tablespoons icing sugar

Preparation method
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 5 mins | Extra time: 2 hours, chilling

1. Break up the chocolate, chop VERY finely and put into mixing bowl with the butter.

2. Place the cream and sugar in a saucepan, bring just to the boil and remove from heat.

3. Pour the cream onto the chocolate and butter and beat until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth and shiny.

4. Freeze for a few hours, until firm enough to shape.

5. Mix the cocoa and icing sugar together, dust hands with mixture and roll mixture into truffle shapes.

6. Chill until serving, or keep in an air tight container for up to a week.

(Better now?)

Jslayton
01-31-2013, 09:21 PM
mmmmm at all the chocolate, how about some main courses :D

sister herb
01-31-2013, 09:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jslayton
mmmmm at all the chocolate, how about some main courses :D
As respecting request of sister Qurratul Ayn, I have to put this recipe the next:

Beef Strips in Dark Chocolate Marinate

Ingredients:
Beef 1 lb
Bittersweet Chocolate 2 tbsps
Honey 2 tsps
Broth 8 tbsps
Extra Virgin Olive Oil 4 tbsps
Ginger Powder 2 tsps
Hot Habanero Peppers to taste
Black Pepper Corns to taste
Salt to taste
Bay Leaves

Cut the lean beef meat in small strips (1 inch length, 1/2 inch wide).

In a large pan, big enough to contain all the beef strips, mix beef broth, honey, olive oil, ginger powder, peppercorn, bay leaves and Habanero peppers powder (if desired). Adjust of salt and add 2 tablespoons of grated unsweetened dark chocolate. Stir well to mix all the ingredients and lay in the pan the beef strips.

Let marinate the meat for about 1 hour, making sure that the meat is all covered in the marinate. Mix at half time, if desired.

Transfer the beef strips in a large non stick pan and cook the meat for about 3-4 minutes or until ready. When the meat is cooked, add the remaining marinate juices and stir quickly. Turn off the heat.

Add all over the meat some unsweetened grated dark chocolate. The beef strips are now ready to be served.

Perfect with a side of steamed rice, a light salad or with mashed or baked potatoes.

Tips:
To cut the beef in strips, you can freeze the meat for about one hour. The almost frozen meat will be easy to cut in the pieces of the desired size.

The best results can be obtained with an high quality extra dark chocolate. Prefer chocolate with a high percentage of cocoa.

Hopely you both are pleased now?

:D

Qurratul Ayn
01-31-2013, 09:59 PM
^ Love you loads, me dear sweet sister harb!!!

I'm very pleased :D

:wub: you my lovely

Periwinkle18
02-02-2013, 06:43 PM
mmmmm chocolate :wub:

Muhaba
02-03-2013, 12:04 PM
I need a cook to cook me all this delicious stuff as I have no time!

Qurratul Ayn
02-03-2013, 12:07 PM
^ Come to my place, sweetie WRITER, I'll cook you a slap-up meal with a mouth-watering dessert (all the recipes from here of course :D)

I'll try to anyways :ia:

I've got a better idea (saves me cooking) we can go to dear sister harb's place and pleasantly ask her to cook for us, you up for going to Finland, sister WRITER??? I'm sure sweet sister harb would gladly oblige or we can angle for an invite to hers and then she will have to cook for us

sister herb
02-03-2013, 12:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Qurratul Ayn
^ Come to my place, sweetie WRITER, I'll cook you a slap-up meal with a mouth-watering dessert (all the recipes from here of course :D)

I'll try to anyways :ia:

I've got a better idea (saves me cooking) we can go to dear sister harb's place and pleasantly ask her to cook for us, you up for going to Finland, sister WRITER??? I'm sure sweet sister harb would gladly oblige or we can angle for an invite to hers and then she will have to cook for us

I have strange feeling that soon I will be busy...

...in the kitchen.

Muhaba
02-03-2013, 02:12 PM
^^I like the idea. To sis Harb's it is then. let's get ready. I am so excited! Sis Harb seems like a great cook!

^Sis Harb, i'm sure you enjoy cooking. you do post a lot of recipes so you must cook alot, right? I like rice and pasta dishes. and for dessert i love brownies, chocolate chip cookies, and apple cake. i hope you can make those.

But don't worry. i won't make you do all the work. i'll bring a dish with me. what should i make? I have this nice dessert cookbook and a not so great main dish cookbook.

Qurratul Ayn
02-03-2013, 02:23 PM
I have strange feeling that soon I will be busy......in the kitchen.
There is the invite, Sister WRITER!!! Yes!

^I'll clean up!!! I love cleaning. Passion of mine :D

I'm hungry... Sister harb more delectable dishes you have up your sleeves??? Please share... And then you can cook it!

Muhaba
02-03-2013, 02:34 PM
oooh yes! Sister Quratalayn shall do the cleaning and sister Harb shall do th cooking and I'll sit back and read a novel. great idea! :)

sister herb
02-03-2013, 03:52 PM
They are coming!

:exhausted

Hulk
02-03-2013, 04:00 PM
I'll do the eating.

Qurratul Ayn
02-03-2013, 06:31 PM
How about some hot pot???

We used dumplings and various seafood i.e. prawns and lots of vegetables!!! It was delicious

format_quote Originally Posted by Hulk
I'll do the eating.
Lol

Haya emaan
02-03-2013, 06:46 PM
Assalam o alaikum all the cooks and the eaters and the cleaners of the club...:D

now i can jump into the club.. i have done cooking a whole week..!!! o my God i don't know this whole cooking but i did it..
i made chicken curry, cholay ka pulao(peas in rice:p), chicken karahi, some thing looking like chicken jalfraizi, club sandwiche etc etc..

i admit it is really a hard job to prepare all this breakfast, lunch and dinner for family and to do it daily. Mom's are so great. only they can do it.. and above all mom's every meal is tastier then the previous.. i don't how my family survived my cooking..;D

here the sandwiches i made (note: i m not good at telling recipes)

ingredients

chicken
bread
egg
salad leaves
cucumber
cabbage
mayonnaise
potato
salt
black pepper

directions
1) boil the chicken with salt and garlic
cut it into 'tiny winy' pieces.
add black pepper..

2)cook plain omelate

3)cut potato sticks, fry them

4)Take three slices of bread, remove the edges

5)on first slice, apply mayonnaise, place cuccumber slices cabbage (already mixed with mayyonise and salt and pepper), salad leaves (and tomato if you wish to),

6) now place second slice, "mayonnaised" from both sides, on it

7)place chicken, potato fries and omelate over it

8) cover it with last bread slice left

9) cut it in triangle

10) serve the sandwitch with potato fries

lynn4now
02-03-2013, 11:12 PM
I will be posting soon. Im ust try all theses delight I feel alot of dinner parties in the future:D

QueenofHerts
02-03-2013, 11:24 PM
yummy food

lynn4now
02-04-2013, 12:16 AM
2 cups granulated sugar (you can use a bit less I do)
5 large beaten eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup of heavy whipping cream
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
3 cups cubed croissants bread, (you can allow to stale)
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, softened
1 cup chopped pecans

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease pan
Mix together granulated sugar, eggs, and milk in a bowl; add vanilla. Pour over cubed bread and let sit for 10 minutes.

In another bowl, mix and crumble together brown sugar, butter, and pecans.

Pour bread mixture into prepared pan. Sprinkle brown sugar mixture over the top and bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until set. Remove from oven.

for the sauce:

1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
1 egg, beaten
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Mix together the granulated sugar, butter, egg, and vanilla in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir together until the sugar is melted.

I would add a picture but still limited:p

sister herb
02-17-2013, 03:14 PM
Mint Chocolate Fudge

Ingredients
Serves: 28

350g plain chocolate
1 (397g) tin condensed sweetened milk, divided
1 dessertspoon vanilla extract
175g white chocolate
1 tablespoon peppermint extract
1 drop green food colouring (optional)

Preparation method
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 15 mins | Extra time: 20 mins

1. Line a 20 or 23cm (8 or 9 in) square tin with greaseproof paper.

2. In heavy saucepan over low heat, melt plain chocolate with 250ml condensed sweetened milk and vanilla. Spread half of the mixture into prepared tin; chill 10 minutes, or until firm. Reserve remaining chocolate mixture at room temperature.

3. In another heavy saucepan over low heat, melt white chocolate with remaining condensed sweetened milk (mixture will be thick.) Stir in peppermint extract and food colouring, if using. Spread this mixture on chilled plain chocolate layer; chill 10 minutes, or until firm.

4. Spread reserved plain chocolate mixture over the mint layer; chill 2 hours, or until firm. Cut into squares and store in an airtight container.

sister herb
02-17-2013, 03:23 PM
Strawberry fudge

Healthier than chocolate fudge.

Ingredients

340ml (12 fl oz) evaporated milk
600g (1 1/3 lb) caster sugar
30g (1 oz) butter
275g (10 oz) fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
2 tablespoons lemon juice

Preparation method
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 25 mins

1. Butter a 23x23cm (9x9 in) dish.

2. Combine milk, sugar and butter in a large saucepan over medium heat; boil. Stir in strawberries and lemon juice. Heat, stirring constantly, to between 235 and 240 C, or until a small amount of the mixture dropped into cold water forms a soft ball that flattens when removed from the water and placed on a flat surface.

3. Remove from heat and quickly spread in prepared dish. Let cool before cutting and serving.

Qurratul Ayn
02-17-2013, 06:48 PM
Mint Chocolate Fudge

Delicious. Yummy in my tummy

Strawberry fudge

Ewww. Yukky

:lol:

iRock
02-18-2013, 11:35 AM
This is a food topic , wow , this forum is unbelievable :p .
I'm hungrry :D

sister herb
02-18-2013, 12:04 PM
Welcome to the dinner table. This topic is meant to those whose have a common hobby: eating.

Periwinkle18
02-18-2013, 01:54 PM

will give u guys the icing recipe im still working on the cup cake recipe :p

sister herb
02-18-2013, 02:07 PM
^ My feelings for those cupcakes:

(poor screen)

iRock
02-18-2013, 02:30 PM
Too many cakes , look really delicious . I will :p them . Thank you :D

Periwinkle18
02-18-2013, 02:31 PM
Lol ;D

Sis do u have a chocolate cup cake recipe I want to try someone else's the cakes r soft but they stuck to the cups :s I so wanna buy silicone cupcake cups!!!

Periwinkle18
02-18-2013, 02:36 PM
The icing

6tbsps of butter
1 cup that's 8 ounces or 16 tbps of icing sugar
4tbsp of cocoa powder ( I use cadbury)
1tsp of Vanilla essence
3 to 4 tbsps of milk

Method:

Beat the butter add icing sugar wen thts soft add in the vanilla essence mix that in and then add the cocoa powder in the end add the milk n the icing's done pour it into a piping bag and start decorating ur cupcakes or cakes.

iRock
02-18-2013, 02:52 PM
Periwinkle18
If I can meet you in real life , I hope I can taste some food you cook ( ^ 0 ^ ) ...

iRock
02-18-2013, 03:00 PM
You should know that even I'm a man but I like cooking , even I can not cook like my mother cook but I cook not too bad :statisfie

Periwinkle18
02-18-2013, 03:08 PM
Ahaan I guess sis harb is way better than me :)

I like experimenting n Alhumdulilah m good at cooking, love it.

Periwinkle18
02-18-2013, 03:09 PM
Doesn't matter some guys cook very well my uncle makes amazing shashlik I use his recipe :)

sister herb
02-18-2013, 03:30 PM
Chocolate cup cakes

normal w415?1333528821 -

200 g butter
2½ dl sugar
3 eggs
4½ dl wheat flours
½ dl dark cocoa powder
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp vanillin sugar
100-150 g dark chocolate
2 dl milk

(for 10 big cup cakes/20 small ones)

Beat up butter and sugar in a bowl. Add eggs one by one beating strongly.
Mix together wheat flours, cocoa powder, baking powder and vanillin sugar. Add it to dough.
Grate chocolate (keep it before in the fridge so it is easier) and add to the dought.
Add the milk.
Spoon the batter in buttered muffin/cup cake pan or moulds — fill them up to 2/3 — and bake at 225 °C for about 10 - 17 minutes, depending on the size of the muffins.

Let them cool a little and call sister Periwinkle to decorate them with hers chocolate icing. ;D

sister herb
02-18-2013, 03:31 PM
For different kind of measures some help: http://easyconverter.net/volume/

Periwinkle18
02-18-2013, 03:43 PM
wow thts alot of butter lol my recipe only had 4 ounces :p

i'll keep on experimenting will come out with something

sister herb
02-18-2013, 03:52 PM
wow thts alot of butter lol my recipe only had 4 ounces :p

i'll keep on experimenting will come out with something
Note: Finnish muffins/cup cakes are usually smaller, flatter and not so puffed-up than typical American-type muffins/cup cakes.

sister herb
02-20-2013, 07:44 PM
Vanilla pudding

200 ml milk
½ vanilla bean
2 egg yolks
50 g sugar
10 g flour or cornstarch
(15 g butter)
(2 tbsp cream)

Use a whole vanilla bean cut in half crosswise. Do not slit the bean open, unless you do not mind the pudding being spotted with vanilla seeds. Place the milk and the vanilla bean half in a saucepan and bring slowly almost to the boil.

Meanwhile, whisk together the egg yolks and the sugar until ribbons form when you lift the beater(s) up. Add the flour or the cornstarch through a sieve and mix well.

Gradually pour the hot milk into the egg-sugar mixture, whisking continually. Pour the mixture back to the saucepan and bring rapidly to the boil, stirring continually. Cook, stirring, for 1 to 3 minutes (add the butter and the cream) and strain into a bowl.

Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the pudding to prevent it from forming a skin while it cools down. Stir the pudding every now and then during cooling.

When cooled, spoon the pudding in serving dishes, cover and chill in refrigerator. Garnish with a dollop of whipped, vanilla-flavoured cream, candied citrus peel strips, mint or lemon balm sprigs, fresh berries, fruit, etc.

sister herb
02-21-2013, 05:12 PM
Homemade chicken nuggets

Homemade chicken nuggets are a much healthier choice than any of those greasy, rubbery fast food industry products.

1 chicken breast fillet (about 180 - 200 g)
20 - 25 ml breadcrumbs
salt
pepper
(paprika powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, curry powder, garlic powder, or whatever seasoning you may like)
40 - 50 ml cream, water or milk
(1 small egg or egg yolk)

for coating and frying:

about 100 ml breadcrumbs
2 - 4 tbsp peanut oil
1 tbsp butter

Place the breadcrumbs in a bowl and mix in the spices. Pour over the cream, stir and let stand until the liquid is absorbed in the breadcrumbs. Meanwhile, cut the chicken fillet in smaller pieces and put them through a meat grinder.

Thoroughly mix and knead the chicken mince with the breadcrumb mixture. Add the egg, if using it, and stir vigorously, until the mixture is smooth and firm. With moistened hands, form the soft mixture into small nuggets, each weighing about 20 grams.

Pour the breadcrumbs on a deep plate and dip in the nuggets one at a time, coating them thoroughly with the crumbs (see the pictures below).

----

Remember to wash your hands and utensils thoroughly, or use thin plastic gloves when handling the mince, especially if you live in a country or region prone to salmonella infections.

Heat the oil and butter in a skillet, but do not let the butter brown. Place the nuggets in the skillet and lower the heat to medium. Cook the nuggets for a few minutes, or until their underside is golden brown. Lower the heat, if the fat seems to brown too much — burnt fat will give the coating a bad taste. Turn the nuggets over and cook until done. You can check by splitting one nugget in half.

Serve the nuggets immediately, eg with oven French fries and various dipping sauces.

Makes about 10 - 12 nuggets.

---------------------------------------------------

OVEN FRENCH FRIES
Oven chips

large, medium-floury potatoes
peanut oil
salt
(black pepper)

Wash and scrub the potatoes thoroughly under running water, but do not peel them. Cut the potatoes in long, chunky sticks.

Spread the potatoes in one layer on a baking sheet covered with baking parchment. Drizzle some oil on top and mix with your hands, until the potatoes are well coated in oil. Sprinkle salt (and pepper) on top and bake at 190 - 225 °C for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the potatoes are nicely browned and done.

Periwinkle18
02-21-2013, 05:27 PM
Vanilla pudding

200 ml milk
½ vanilla bean
2 egg yolks
50 g sugar
10 g flour or cornstarch
(15 g butter)
(2 tbsp cream)

Use a whole vanilla bean cut in half crosswise. Do not slit the bean open, unless you do not mind the pudding being spotted with vanilla seeds. Place the milk and the vanilla bean half in a saucepan and bring slowly almost to the boil.

Meanwhile, whisk together the egg yolks and the sugar until ribbons form when you lift the beater(s) up. Add the flour or the cornstarch through a sieve and mix well.

Gradually pour the hot milk into the egg-sugar mixture, whisking continually. Pour the mixture back to the saucepan and bring rapidly to the boil, stirring continually. Cook, stirring, for 1 to 3 minutes (add the butter and the cream) and strain into a bowl.

Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the pudding to prevent it from forming a skin while it cools down. Stir the pudding every now and then during cooling.

When cooled, spoon the pudding in serving dishes, cover and chill in refrigerator. Garnish with a dollop of whipped, vanilla-flavoured cream, candied citrus peel strips, mint or lemon balm sprigs, fresh berries, fruit, etc.
Yum yum

Sis have u ever tried making bread pudding ??

sister herb
02-21-2013, 06:09 PM
Bread pudding? No I haven´t tried it. Should I? :p

Periwinkle18
02-21-2013, 06:44 PM
Its yummy there's this big bun(bread) in the middle n pudding on the side it's served hot with ice cream :)

sister herb
02-21-2013, 06:51 PM
Send a recipe. I may try it soon...

I am ready in my kitchen as you can see.

Periwinkle18
02-21-2013, 06:52 PM
InshaAllah once I get hold of it I'll make it n attach a pic as well :)

sister herb
02-21-2013, 09:10 PM
Cheese batons

These light-textured, crunchy biscuits have a strong cheese flavour, as long as you use strong, sharp cheese to make them.

Serve them as a salty snack or to accompany bouillons and soups. They go especially well with tomato soup.

100 g unsalted butter
100 g coarse wheat flour
(pinch of paprika powder or cayenne pepper)
100 g finely and freshly grated strong, extra-mature/vintage Cheddar cheese (or substitute half with freshly grated Parmesan cheese)

To produce the correct texture, the cheese has to be very finely grated, so preferably use an almond mill or something similar for grating.

In a wide, large saucepan, let the butter slowly melt using the lowest heat. If you are using paprika powder or cayenne pepper, mix it with the flour. Take the pan of melted butter off the stove and let it cool for a while. Add the flour and the grated cheese to the butter and mix quickly with a fork until you get a smooth mixture. If the dough seems a bit too sticky and soft, you can add some more flour.

Take small portions of the mixture and roll them on the work surface or between your palms into small batons, about 1 - 1½ cm wide and 5 - 7 cm long.

If the mixture gets too soft and difficult to handle, you can wrap it in plastic and place in refrigerator for about 30 minutes for it to harden.

Place the cheese batons on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper, leaving some space between them, as depending on the type of cheese you are using they may spread quite a bit during baking. If this happens, add more flour to the dough.

Bake the batons at 200 °C for about 5 - 9 minutes, or until they are golden and just slightly starting to brown around the edges.

Let the batons cool on a wire rack until firm and crisp. Store them in an airtight container and eat within a couple of days.

sister herb
02-22-2013, 09:14 AM
Cream puffs

200 ml water
100 ml melted butter
300 ml flour
1 tsp salt
5 eggs
(dash of white pepper, if filling will be savoury)

Combine water, melted butter and salt in saucepan and bring to boil. Add flour stirring vigorously with wooden spoon until mixture clumps together, forming a ball. Stir for 1 minute longer. Remove from heat.

Using electric mixer, add eggs one at a time, beating until dough is smooth after each addition — dough will be slightly soft and shiny.

Using 1 rounded tablespoon dough for each cream puff, spoon dough onto baking sheet covered with parchment paper, spacing about 5 cm (2") apart and forming mounds about 2 - 4 cm (1¼") in diameter. Using moist fingertips, gently press tops of cream puffs to flatten any peaks.

Bake at 225 °C until golden brown, about 20 - 25 minutes. During baking eggs make the pastry puff into hollow, irregular domes. Let cream puffs cool down. Split puffs horizontally, remove "caps" and fill just before serving with sweet or savoury filling and put the "cap" back on.

You can make puffs of different sizes: tiny puffs for cocktail bites (bake for 15 - 20 minutes) or one big ring-shaped puff (bake for 25 - 30 minutes).

Serving suggestion:

Sweet fillings: custard, jam, jelly, ice cream or whipped cream flavoured with instant coffee granules, vanilla, chopped nuts, fresh berries or fruit etc. Garnish with melted chocolate, caramel sauce, icing sugar etc.

Savoury fillings: hot- or cold-smoked salmon, reindeer/beef meat, caviar, shrimps, grated/crumbled cheese, chopped vegetables or walnuts mixed with cream cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise or whipped cream etc.

Periwinkle18
02-22-2013, 04:37 PM
So feel like making buffalo honey wings a.k.a honey chicken wings. And potato salad and bread pudding Lol in short nemo just wants to cook something :p

yasin ibn Ahmad
02-23-2013, 07:53 PM
Attachment 5256 Assalaam alaikoum I have a question.I saw this food in a pic.But I dont know its name.It is from the USA.Does anyone know the name of it?

Periwinkle18
02-23-2013, 09:26 PM
It sort of looks like hunter beef the picture isn't clear I'm not sure

sister herb
02-27-2013, 06:33 PM
Tomorrow I will be chief of the kicthen - I have two Somalian men on my work and we will make totally Finnish menu; barley bread, barley porrige, cowberry soup, rye cowberrycake...

And African oven pike too.

I think I have Somalian dress tomorrow.

;D

Periwinkle18
02-27-2013, 06:45 PM
^ wooho :)

post some pics of the things you cook.

sister herb
02-27-2013, 08:31 PM
I think we will cook also toffee and peppermint patties.

NajaMuhammad
02-28-2013, 12:45 AM
This food all looks so good I can not wait to try them out for my self inshallah

sister herb
02-28-2013, 12:25 PM
6 hours today in very little restaurant kitchen. Cooking and baking. Fish in the oven, porridge, soup, blueberry dessert, cakes, bread, filled eggs (actually filled with tuna and cranberries)...

:exhausted Others called me the kitchen chef. Languages in the kitchen were Finnish, English, French, Arabic, Somalia, Swahili and what ever... My workers were from Somalia and Iraq.

Also local radio station interviewed me and owner of the restaurant. I told in the interview that actually Finnish and Somalians are cousins.

Maybe we are? Who knows.

We also made sambusas and I burnt my finger in the pizza oven.

:embarrass

sister herb
03-03-2013, 09:16 AM
Nut-Crusted French Toast

Ingredients
■6 eggs
■3/4 cup whole milk
■1/4 cup sugar
■1 teaspoon vanilla
■1 teaspoon cinnamon
■3/4 cup brown sugar
■1 3/4 cups coarsely ground whole almonds
■3/4 cup plain breadcrumbs
■1 loaf Texas Toast or French toast bread
■8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter

Directions
Preheat oven to 200°. Place a baking sheet in oven to warm. In a large bowl, combine eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon. Whisk until blended; set aside. Combine brown sugar, nuts, and bread crumbs.

Dip a slice of bread in egg mixture and allow excess egg to drip off. Lay bread on nut mixture, then flip to coat both sides. In a large skillet over medium heat, melt about 1 tablespoon butter without allowing it to brown. Cook French toast until golden on both sides, about 2 to 3 minutes, being careful not to let nuts burn. Place on baking sheet in oven and continue with remaining slices. Dip and coat each slice just before cooking, adding more butter as needed.

Source: http://littlelifeofmine.com/2011/08/...nch-toast.html

sister herb
03-03-2013, 11:56 AM
Baklawa Cheesecake

Ingredients:
■1 12 oz. package of sugar cookies, crumbled fine
■1/2 c. butter, softened
■4 8 oz. packages cream cheese, softened
■1 c. sugar
■1-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
■1 teaspoon vanilla, optional (you can skipped this if you like)
■4 eggs
■1 cup chopped walnuts
■1/4 cup granulated sugar
■1/2 cup butter, cubed
■1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
■10 sheets of fillo dough
■1/3 cup butter, melted
■1/2 cup Arabic attar, or simple syrup, or light corn syrup, heated

Note: unit conversion help: http://easyconverter.net/

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 325F/175C degrees. To prepare crust: Pulse cookies in a food processor to form fine crumbs. If you don’t have a food processor, use a rolling pin to crush the cookies in a large ziplock bag. If using a food processor, add the 1/2 cup softened butter and pulse until incorporated. No processor, mix with a fork or by hand. Really get it in there.

Press crumbs on bottom and up sides of 9 inch/22 cm spring-form pan. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.

2. To prepare the cheesecake: In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and sugar on high speed about 10 minutes (in a stand mixer or with a hand mixer) until fluffy. Add the lemon juice, vanilla (if using), and one egg at a time. Beat until smooth.

3. To prepare baklawa: Combine walnuts, sugar, butter and cinnamon in a bowl and mix until crumbly. Note: I did not get crumbly. I got a ball of butter with walnuts in it. I proceeded anyways. Next time I think I’ll reduce the butter to 1/4 cup. Cut fillo sheets into 9 inch rounds. I used my spring-form pan as a stencil. Using the warm melted butter, brush 5 sheets of fillo individually and set on top of the cheesecake filling. (Brush sheet with butter, place on top, brush sheet with butter, place on top, etc.)

On top of the first 5 sheets of fillo dough rounds, sprinkle with the baklawa walnut mixture. The recipe says “sprinkle”, I flattened mounds in my hand and placed them on top. Butter and layer 5 sheets of fillo and place on top. Important: I missed the following next step! Just noticed it as I’m typing out the recipe. Layer and butter another 5 fillo sheets, lightly score into 10 equal sections without cutting all the way to center or outer edge. Place on top of cheesecake.

4. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until golden brown. My cheesecake was still a bit jiggly, so I turned off the oven and left the door slightly ajar with a wooden spoon for 20-30 minutes. Spoon warm simple syrup over cheesecake while still warm. (Since I unknowingly skipped the scoring step, my syrup just fell off the sides.) Cool to room temperature. Refrigerate overnight for best results before slicing.

Qurratul Ayn
03-03-2013, 12:42 PM
Nut-Crusted French Toast

That is one of the most delicious breakfasts I've seen pictures of so far!!!

This is a definite try out for me as a breakfast. Yummy... Can't wait to cook it!!! :D

جوري
03-03-2013, 12:55 PM
carbs eat quickly & are never satisfying imsad

Periwinkle18
03-03-2013, 05:47 PM
Yum yum

sis harb take a break have some sweet n sour wings :)

i know i posted it in the other thread as well buh i guess any pic of food has to come here too.

Qurratul Ayn
03-03-2013, 06:01 PM
i know i posted it in the other thread as well buh i guess any pic of food has to come here too.
:lol:

They sure look yummy!!! Did you make them??? Recipe please!!!

Periwinkle18
03-03-2013, 06:08 PM
yup a while ago everyone gobbled them up

sad part is I couldn't eat the good part is mum kept one for me.she knows I cant eat wen I cook :p

sure will post soon.

Periwinkle18
03-03-2013, 06:52 PM
Buffalo wings

For the batter
4oz of flour
5tbsp of self raising flour
2tbsp of cornflour
2 eggs
2 tbsp oil
1/2 cup of milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 white.pepper ( I used black.pepper)

Add all of these ingredients in a bowl n whisk add a lil water if u think its too thick. The batter shouldnt be too thick or too thin should b just right ;)

Next marinate 1/2 kg chicken wings with
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp b.pepper
Thats it.

Take the chicken wing dip it in batter , roll it in self raising flour and deep fry till golden n crisp.

The sauce.
In a pan add
2tbsp oil
1tbsp crushed garlic
Fry it till its golden
Then add 2tbsp ketchup
2tbsp chilli garlic sauce
1tbsp vinegar
1tbsp tomato puree or paste
1tsp sugar
( I added two tbsps of honey too it tasted good gave the sauce good taste)
Cook the sauce until its thick once its thick turn the stove off and add the fry chicken wings toss them around and thts it there u have ur buffalo wings.

I hope it's not complicating its actually v easy to.make.n doesnt take much time.

Hulk
03-04-2013, 07:38 AM
Wasnt sure if its safe to eat but decided to give it a go. I think i should go for some cooking classes

[IMG]

[/IMG]

sister herb
03-04-2013, 08:56 AM
^Is it a cutlet?

Hulk
03-04-2013, 10:40 AM
it is a ribeye steakkkk i kept washing it many times cos the blood was still there which i read just now turned out wasnt blood but myoglobin

sister herb
03-04-2013, 12:16 PM
Artichoke Hummus

Ingredients:
1 can garbanzo beans, 1/4 – 1/2 cup liquid reserved
1/4 cup tahini, pure sesame paste
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 – 2 cloves garlic, use 1 if you don’t want a strong garlic taste
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon of cumin
1/2 cup marinated artichoke hearts
1 tablespoon of marinated artichoke heart brine

Directions:

Drain garbanzo beans, reserving 1/4 – 1/2 cup of the liquid. If that’s not your thing, just use plain water.

Add beans and all of the ingredients into a blender or food processor. I used 1/4 cup liquid. Add more depending on the consistency you want for your hummus. I like mine thick and not runny.

Blend until completely smooth. Spread evenly on a plate and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, an absolute must. Serve with pita chips or pita bread wedges.

Periwinkle18
03-04-2013, 12:34 PM
Wasnt sure if its safe to eat but decided to give it a go. I think i should go for some cooking classes

[/IMG]
meat not cooked properly i think :S

guess the flame was on too high

Pure Purple
03-04-2013, 12:56 PM
it is a ribeye steakkkk i kept washing it many times cos the blood was still there which i read just now turned out wasnt blood but myoglobin
meat not cooked properly i think :S
guess the flame was on too high
he already said,due to excessive washing meat turned to whitish in color.

Haya emaan
03-04-2013, 03:50 PM
Any one wants to eat chocolate and coconut cup cakes..!!

sister herb
03-04-2013, 03:54 PM
^ I want I want I want... :p but I want recipe too.

Hulk
03-04-2013, 05:45 PM
I bought them frozen ribeye weeks ago and finally i managed to cook and eat em. At least it's no longer taking up space in the fridge lol.

sister herb
03-05-2013, 06:46 AM
Easy Homemade Chai

Ingredients:
8 cups water
6-8 cardamon pods, split open
3-5 cloves
1 tsp fennel seeds
2-3 small cinnamon sticks
3 black tea bags
1 vanilla tea bag
1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk

Directions:

In a large tea potadd the water, cardamon pods, cloves, cinnamon sticks, and fennel seeds. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and allow to boil for 2-3 minutes on medium heat.

Add all four tea bags. Lower heat to medium low and steep for 10 minutes.

Remove tea bags. Add the condensed milk, stirring well to fully incorporate. Stir occasionally to avoid the milk scalding on the bottom of the pot. After 5 minutes, turn off heat. Let sit for a few minutes longer before serving. Strain the tea upon serving.

Notes:
Use a saucepan if your tea pot doesn’t accommodate 8 cups of water.
For a more pronounced taste from the spices, use the highest suggested amount. For a subtle taste, the least suggested amount.
If you don’t have vanilla tea bags, add 1/2 tsp vanilla extract at the end after you have turned off the stove.
For a less sweeter chai, do not use the entire can of condensed milk.
This also tastes really good chilled.

Source: http://littlelifeofmine.com/2012/02/...made-chai.html

sister herb
03-05-2013, 07:53 PM
Some substitutes of alcohol in food recipes

When in recipe is mentioned that you should use some alcohol, these are the most common substitutes you can use instead:

Beer or ale: for light ale use chicken broth or white grape juice, for darker ales use beef broth or mushroom stock. In a batter recipe replace beer with soda water.

Red wine: chicken or beef broth, grape juice mixed with a water or tomato juice.

Amaretto: almond extract

Brandy: use fruit juice with corresponding flavor, for example apricot juice for apricot brandy.

Orange liquor: Frozen orange juice concentrate

Sake: white grape juice with lemon zest

Sherry: orange or pineapple juice

Dry vermouth: white grape juice

Sweet vermouth: apple or grape juice

White wine: chicken broth, white grape juice mixed with a little lemon juice. Use 1 TBSP lemon juice to one-cup water or grape juice.

Sweet white wine: Same than White wine, but add a tablespoon of sugar.

Kahlua: chocolate extract mixed with espresso powder, coffee syrup or coffee extract

Bourbon: vanilla extract

Rum: non-alcohol rum flavoring or pineapple juice

Frangelico: hazelnut or almond extract

Hard cider: apple juice, sparkling apple juice

Champagne: sparkling grape juice

جوري
03-07-2013, 01:45 AM
I bought them frozen ribeye weeks ago and finally i managed to cook and eat em. At least it's no longer taking up space in the fridge lol.
veggie burgers are fool proof, full of nutrition, packed with protein and you can afford a couple of sliders on two buns and you'll be full all day.
here's one recipe I enjoy using quinoa .. I have seen and tried others black bean burgers are also a personal fav.

enjoy:

sister herb
03-07-2013, 05:45 PM
Leek and Zucchini Tart

2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. sugar
6 ounces cold butter, cut in small cubes
1/2 cup ice cold water

Add the dry ingredients to the bowl of a food processor, pulse to combine. Add the chilled butter and pulse on and off until the butter is the size of peas. Add the cold water with the machine running, then pulse on and off until the dough start to come together. Small pieces of butter should still be visible. Empty the dough on a floured surface and bring it together, do not over mix it. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 2 hours. Roll the dough to a 1/8 thickness, line a tart shell and freeze for 20-30 minutes.

Filling:

2 medium leeks, sliced
2 medium zucchini, sliced
olive oil
parsley, finely chopped
1 cup heavy cream
2 large eggs
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Slice and wash the leeks very well in cold water. Heat the oil in a large pan, add the leeks and cook until translucent (like you would with onions). Add the zucchini and cook on medium heat until tender, seasoning with salt and pepper. Add the parsley, and let cool. Mix the heavy cream with the eggs, add the cheese, and season with salt and pepper. Mix the cream mixture with the cooled vegetables and pour onto prepared tart shell. Prebake your crust on 425 degrees for 10-20 minutes. Allow to cool on wire rack. Fill with vegetable mixture and bake at 350F/175C until set, about 40 minutes.

-------------------

Different units converter: http://easyconverter.net/

Muhaba
03-07-2013, 05:50 PM
^jazak-Allaho khairan for the recipes and the alcohol substitutes, sis Harb. your recipes can fill a cookbook, masha-Allah and i'm sure they're good too!

sister herb
03-07-2013, 06:15 PM
^ After some of my cooks, about few hours when I have took them from the oven, I am like:

Is it already eaten?

;D

Pure Purple
03-08-2013, 03:04 PM

Indian and pakistani sisters must be knowing this dish : )
I did minor changes to the linked recipe.

Made from ganna rass(sugarcane juice) that's why d recipe is named Rassiya : ).

Ingredients:
Fresh Sugarcane juice(ganna rass) - 1 lit
Rice – handful (washed and soaked for an hour).
roasted cashew(kaju)-handful
dried coconut(crushed)
raisin-handful
ginger powder(sauth)-1 tsp(I don't use this)

Method:
Put the sugarcane juice in a heavy bottom pan and heat .Wash and add the rice and cook till the rice and sugarcane juice form a smooth thick mixture.
add cashew ,dried coconut (it will better to first fry light in oil)and cook for next 5 min .Serve cool with milk.
http://saltiepie.blogspot.in/2011/04...ice-kheer.html

QueenofHerts
03-12-2013, 12:12 AM
^ you didnt name the dish? what is it?

sister herb
03-14-2013, 12:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by QueenofHerts
^ you didnt name the dish? what is it?
She did mention it. Rassiya

Don´t ask me what it means.

sister herb
03-18-2013, 11:22 AM
Rhubarb compote

1 kg fresh, peeled rhubarb stalks
330 ml sugar
(1½ - 2 tsp vanilla sugar)

Cut the rinsed, thinly peeled rhubarb stalks into 2 - 3 cm slices. Place the slices in a large, wide saucepan, alternating them with the sugar. Bring the mixture slowly to the boil, cover and simmer on low heat until the rhubarb has collapsed and the sugar has dissolved. This will take only a few minutes. Shake the pan every now and then.

Remove the lid, raise the heat and simmer the compote for a few minutes longer, until it has thickened sufficiently. Take the pan off the heat and stir in the vanilla sugar, if you like. Serve the compote slightly warm or chilled, topped with a dollop of whipped cream, crème fraîche, vanilla custard or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Note: Rhubarb — like most berries, some nuts, spinach, sorrel, beans, chocolate, cocoa, coffee and tea, among other items — contains toxic oxalic acid. While the rhubarb stalks are safe to eat in moderate amount, the leaves must never be used in cooking. Oxalic acid binds vital nutrients such as calcium, inhibiting its absorption by the human body.

To weaken this effect, rhubarb is usually served together with some dairy product rich in calcium, like milk, cream or ice cream. This is a custom practised already among our ancestors, even though they never knew of the oxalic acid and its effects.

The acid in rhubarb may cause some dairy products to curdle when served together.

Naeema
03-18-2013, 03:19 PM
Coconut Custard Pie

1. Preheat the oven to 375F/190C/Gas 5
2. Oil or butter a deep dish pie plate - I think glass works best for this.
3. Put the following ingredients in your blender and whirl around until smooth:
1/2 cup flour (any wheat flour has worked for me)
1 tablespoon light oil or melted butter
4 eggs
2 cups milk
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup sugar (any kind, vanilla sugar gives the best flavor)
1 cup grated coconut, unsweetened
3 tablespoons butter, melted or not
pinch salt
1 teaspoon grated citrus peel (orange, satsuma - I haven't tried lemon yet!)
4. Blend all of this together in the blender
5. Pour this in the pie pan
6. Bake 30-40 minutes.
7. Remove, let cool, and serve.

The pie will separate into three layers- a moist and chewy bottom crust; a rich, custardy center; and a thin layer of golden coconut bits on top. Sprinkle with a bit of extra coconut or use whipped cream for garnish if you like. Because it is a solid custard, If you do not have a deep pie plate, I think it could also be made in a square pan as custard squares.

yahia12
03-19-2013, 08:27 PM

Eggplant parmesan

one medium eggplant, sliced into 1/4 inch slices
3 Tbsp Italian Style/Spiced bread crumbs
1 Tbsp grated Parmesan Cheese
smoked paprika (or regular) ~ for sprinkling on the eggplant slices before cooking
onion powder ~ for sprinkling on the eggplant slices before cooking
garlic powder ~ for sprinkling on the eggplant slices before cooking
'I Can't Believe It's Not Butter' Spray ~ for spraying on the eggplant slices before/after cooking
Pam, butter flavored or regular
salt & pepper, to taste
your favorite Italian Marinara Sauce
your favorite Parmesan Cheese sprinkled over the dish when serving
fresh (or dried) basil for sprinkling over the dish when serving ~ optional
crushed red pepper flakes for sprinkling over the dish when serving ~ optional

Heat your favorite Italian Marinara Sauce in a pan & keep warm while you are prepping/cooking the eggplant.

Spread Italian bread crumbs in bottom of a plate for dredging the eggplant slices in. Take the eggplant slices, dip each one in water, shake it off & then dredge both sides in the Italian bread crumbs. Sprinkle one side with the smoked paprika/onion powder/garlic powder &.

Heat skillet large enough to cook the eggplant in, over medium heat.

When the eggplant slices are ready, spray the skillet with Pam & lay the eggplant slices in a single layer, with the paprika/onion/garlic powder sprinkled side down, so that side cooks first. Cook for approx. 3-4 minutes. While the first side is cooking, sprinkle the top side of the eggplant with paprika/onion/garlic powder . When the 3-4 minutes are over for the first side, flip & cook the other side for an additional 3-4 minutes or until the eggplant slices are golden & cooked through. Give the cooked eggplant a final spray icbinbs(oliveoil if desired), right before taking out of the skillet.

Serve the cooked eggplant with the Marinara Sauce spooned over the top of the slices. Sprinkle the whole thing with Parmesan cheese. Salt/pepper, to taste. Add some fresh basil & crushed red pepper flakes ~ if desired.

Bon appetit

^^

sister herb
03-19-2013, 08:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by yahia12

Sorry that I drool here.

:phew

yahia12
03-19-2013, 08:44 PM
That makes two of us :p It´s a great dish.

sister herb
03-21-2013, 11:48 AM
Bosnian Pot

Ingredients:
3 lb lamb or beef, cut into cubes

1 cup finely chopped onion

1 tbsp finely chopped garlic

1 cup finely chopped parsley

1/4 cup finely chopped celery leaves

1 tbsp salt

2 tsp pepper

3 bay leaves

1/2 cup butter

1 cup sliced carrots

1 cup chopped kohlrabi

1/2 cup chopped parsley root

1/2 cup chopped celery root

1 cup green beans, cut into 1" pieces

2 red bell peppers, seeded and cut into squares

2 cups tomatoes, peeled, seeded and quartered

3 cups potatoes, cut into cubes

2 leeks, cleaned and cut into 1/2" slices

1 cup coarsely chopped cabbage

1/2 tsp hot paprika or cayenne, or to taste

6 cups water

1/4 cup vinegar

Instructions:
Preheat the oven to 350F. Rinse the meat and put in a colander to drain. Combine the onion, garlic, parsley, celery leaves, salt, pepper, and bay leaves. Melt the butter in a large, oven-proof stew pot, and then put alternate layers of vegetables and meat, sprinkling some of the onion/garlic/parsley combination on top of each layer. Combine the water and vinegar, and pour it into the pot. Cover the pot with a lid or aluminium foil, and bake until everything is tender, about 3 hours.

Info:
Bosnian Pot is an authentic Bosnian culinary speciality, appreciated for its rich taste and flexibility. It is impossible to define the recipe for Bosanski lonac, as there are many variations, but the main ingredients are mostly the same: meat and various vegetables.

It has been on tables of both the rich and the poor for hundreds of years. Rich people used more meat and other expensive ingredients, while the poor used what was available. Typical ingredients are: beef, lamb, cabbage, potatoes, tomatoes, carrots, parsley, garlic, peppercorns (whole, not ground). Many different vegetables or meats may be used. The Bosanski lonac is prepared by layering meat and vegetables (alternating layers of meat and vegetables until the pot is full) into a deep pot, then adding 1 - 2 dl water or white wine. The ingredients should be cut into large pieces rather than finely chopped or minced.

Originally, Bosanski lonac was made in ceramic pots, that were then put in the fireplace or pit in the ground. That would be perfect, but today, not everyone has a fireplace available for cooking, so cooks may use a regular pot and their kitchen stove. Since the pieces of meat and vegetables are rather large, it takes about 4 hours till the meal is cooked.

yahia12
03-23-2013, 09:11 PM

Raspberry Souffle

1 teaspoon butter (for greasing ramekins)
6 oz fresh raspberries
1/4 cup, plus 2 teaspoons sugar
4 egg whites
1.Preheat oven to 400F (200C)
2.Butter the insides of six 1/2 cup ramekins
3.Puree raspberries in a blender or food processor, then strain through a fine mesh sieve to remove the seeds. I considered leaving the seeds in until I realized just how prolific they are — you really need to strain the puree. You should yield about 1/2 cup after straining.
4.Add 2 teaspoons sugar to the strained puree and set aside
5.In a mixer, beat four egg whites until they begin to thicken. Continue to beat the whites while you slowly add 1/4 cup sugar. Mix until egg whites form stiff peaks and are glossy.
6.Add 1/3 of the egg whites to the puree and slowly fold in. Continue by adding the remaining egg whites, folding in until no white streaks remain.
7.Spoon the souffle batter into the ramekins, filling to the top and leveling off with the back of a spatula.
8.Place filled ramekins on a baking sheet and bake on a rack positioned in the bottom 1/3 of the oven.
9.Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the souffle rises 1/2″ above the rim.
10.Serve immediately with a sprinkle of powdered sugar!

Bon Appetit ^^

Periwinkle18
03-24-2013, 06:29 PM
my oh my tht looks yummy

GuestFellow
03-24-2013, 06:31 PM

I love this food. I'm drooling all over my laptop.

Periwinkle18
03-24-2013, 06:33 PM
^ thats a mixture of grains :s

they're not even cooked yet how cn u drool ??

GuestFellow
03-24-2013, 06:34 PM
^ I know. Ain't that delicious. I choke on them everyday. Very good for a bad sore throat.

sister herb
03-24-2013, 07:09 PM
Seeds. Good to teeth and to stomach. A lot of fiber.

marwen
03-24-2013, 07:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by GuestFellow
I love this food. I'm drooling all over my laptop.
That's birds' food :/:

sister herb
04-02-2013, 10:27 AM
^^ Maybe you could use that birds´ food as part of homemade muesli and eat it with milk/yoghurt and fresh berries. Then you could also drool even a little. :D

Easy to make: uncooked rolled oats, fruit, nuts, seeds, raisins...

sister herb
04-02-2013, 04:50 PM
Low Gluten Palestinian Ka’ak bil Simsim

Ingredients
◾1 tablespoon dry yeast
◾3 tablespoons sugar
◾1/2 cup warm water
◾3 tablespoons vegetable oil
◾1 teaspoon salt
◾3 tsp buttermilk powder
◾1 cup barley flour
◾1/2 cup rye flour
◾1/2 cup gluten free flour
◾1 egg, beaten with a few pinches of sugar
◾1/2 cup white sesame seeds
◾NOTE – you may need to use more water – see how your flours come together first.

Directions

1. Pre-heat oven to 375 f.

2. In the bowl of a mixer, place the yeast, warm water and sugar. Mix gently. Let sit for 10 minutes or until yeast foams doubles in size.

3. Sift the flour. Add the salt to the flour.

4. Once the yeast is ready, add the vegetable oil to the mixing bowl and mix on low speed or hand knead.

5. Slowly, add the flour combining it all before adding more. Do not overwork the dough. This is especially important with low gluten flours. The dough will NOT have an elastic feel.

6. Cover the dough-filled bowl with a towel and let sit in a warm spot for 30-40 minutes.

7. The dough will increase in size though most likely not double as with a traditional flour dough. Turn out the dough on a surface dusted with gluten free flour and knead. You do not want to over work this but knead for 2-3 minutes. Do not add too much flour but just enough to keep it from sticking to your hands and the work surface.

8. Cut the dough into two pieces, poking a hole in the middle and working the bread out from the middle to form a large ring.

. Place onto a baking sheet and brush with the egg/sugar wash and sprinkle sesame seeds on top.

10. On the lowest rack of the oven place an oven-proof pot of boiling water. Place the sheet with the bread dough above this rack. Bake for 25 minutes or until the top of the bread is browned.

sister herb
04-03-2013, 05:01 PM
Moroccan Date-Prune Balls

Ingredients
8-10 dried, seedless prunes
6-9 seedless dates
1/4 cup golden raisins
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup almonds
4 Tbsp honey
2-3 Tbsp grape juice (reserve for end)
sugar (optional)
finely ground almond flour to roll the balls

Directions
It is very important to pit the dates and prunes used in this recipe. So take a minute to make sure they are pitted! The next step is really easy – simply toss everything into a food processor and blend it together! After you’ve mixed everything take a taste. If the mixture is really thick add some grape juice. If it tastes too bitter add a little bit of sugar. That being said this is not meant to be overly sweet.

To make the balls, take a piece of the mixture about the size of large olive and roll into a ball. Next, roll it in the ground almonds and set aside. Continue with the remaining mixture until it has all been used. To store, keep in a cool place, but don’t refrigerate, in a tightly sealed container.

Haya emaan
04-03-2013, 06:26 PM
^it so looks like home made 'Khajoor ki methai" ( date sweat^o)) my mom's version, we have biscuits in it instead of almonds, raisins etc.

sister herb
04-03-2013, 06:28 PM
^^ Can you send recipe (if it´s not family secret of course)? :p

Haya emaan
04-03-2013, 07:25 PM
well i don't know exactly but i can try telling what my mom did last time recalling my memory...:p its very easy..

Ingredients

seedless dates
biscuits ( we use marry biscuits)
butter
coconut powder

Direction

*fry the dates in butter at low heat, continuously stir it with spoon until its soften, this will some take time, be careful it is not stuck in pan
*crush the biscuits finely and add it to the date mixture with coconut powder.
*move it out of the heat, you can add honey or sugar to sweeten the mixture (but we don't add them )
*make balls just same as above and roll them in coconut powder..

sister herb
04-04-2013, 09:03 AM
Mediterranean Broccoli Almond Soup

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 shallot, minced
1 medium potato, diced
2 large bunches of broccoli, cut into florets and stems sliced thin (about 8 cups)
4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1/2 cup ground, toasted almonds
Sour cream for garnish (optional)

Directions:
1.Heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and shallot and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
2.Add potato and sauté, stirring constantly until softened slightly, about 2 minutes.
3.Add broccoli and broth to pan. Cover, bring to a boil, and cook for about 5 minutes or until broccoli florets, stalks and potato are tender.
4.Allow the mixture to cool slightly, then transfer to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. You may need to do this in batches. Take care - mixture will be very hot!
5.Add ground almonds and pulse a few more times until fully incorporated.
6.Return mixture to pan and reheat.
7.Serve, garnishing with a dollop of sour cream if desired.

sister herb
04-04-2013, 05:54 PM
Honey Lemon Chicken

Ingredients:
1 pound chicken breasts
salt and pepper
1 tablespoon oil
1 tablespoon ginger (grated)
1 lemon (juice and zest)
2 tablespoons honey
1/4 cup chicken stock
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
2. Heat the oil in a pan.
3. Add the chicken and saute until golden brown and cooked through and set aside.
4. Add the ginger and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
5. Add the lemon juice and zest, honey, stock, salt and pepper and reduce to thicken. (Note: Do a taste test here to make sure that the lemon and honey balance nicely.)
6. Pour the honey lemon sauce over the chicken.

sister herb
04-06-2013, 03:12 PM
Italian Lemon Ice

Popular in Sicily and with a rougher texture than sorbetto, the Italian ice called granita is an easy-to-fix palate cleanser or finish for any summer meal. You don't need special equipment or skills to make this lemony sweet. Just a fork and a freezer.

6 to 8 servings

Ingredients

•Water -- 3 cups
•Sugar -- 1 1/2 cups
•Fresh lemon juice -- 1 cup

Method
1.Bring 1 cup of the water and the sugar to a boil in a saucepan, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Continue boiling for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let to cool.

2.Stir in the remaining water and lemon juice. Pour the mixture into a glass baking dish and set in the freezer for on or tow hours until it starts to get slushy.

3.Stir well with a fork, breaking up any large chunks of ice or ice crystals. Repeat this process every 20 minutes or so until the granita is frozen solid.

4.Place scoops in small glasses or dessert bowls and serve.

Variations
Let your imagination run free. There are so many options. Here are a few of the more common variations:

•Granita alla Arancia (Orange Granita): 1/4 cup water; 1/2 cup sugar; 2 tablespoons lemon juice; 3 cups of orange juice. Boil the water and sugar only long enough to dissolve the sugar. Stir in the orange lemon juice. Freeze as for lemon granita.

•Granita al Caffè (Coffee Granita): Use 4 cups of strong black coffee or espresso and 1 cup sugar. Boil 1 cup of the coffee with the sugar only long enough to dissolve the sugar, then stir in the remaining coffee. Freeze as for lemon granita. Top with whipped cream.

•Granita di Fragole (Strawberry Granita): 1 cup of water; 3/4 cup sugar; 1 pound strawberries, hulled and pureed; 2 tablespoons lemon juice. Boil the water and sugar as for the lemon granita. Stir in the strawberry puree and lemon juice. Freeze as for lemon granita.

Qurratul Ayn
04-06-2013, 04:49 PM
Italian Lemon Ice

Yummy !!!

I love this !!!

sister herb
04-06-2013, 04:57 PM
^^ I am planning to make it next time using watermelon juice. Let´s see how it works...

Haya emaan
04-07-2013, 06:51 PM
Italian Lemon Ice

^simply gives me thought of pakistani version.. GOLA GANDA...:p

can anyone share the recipe..??:p

Pure Purple
04-08-2013, 02:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Haya emaan
can anyone share the recipe..??
It is simple to make gola,they add edible color ,sugar and lemon,pinch of salt,only problem is to make gola we require ice cube crusher : (
Most famous flavors are
kala Khatta

orange gola

format_quote Originally Posted by Haya emaan
GOLA GANDA...
Ganda gola
please eat saaf gola:P

Periwinkle18
04-08-2013, 04:05 PM
oh no im so sorry u guys i had to post the molten lava cake recipe i'll post it as soon as i type it i totally forgot.

sister herb
04-08-2013, 04:09 PM
oh no im so sorry u guys i had to post the molten lava cake recipe i'll post it as soon as i type it i totally forgot.
Sister forgot us and ate the whole cake alone!

Periwinkle18
04-08-2013, 04:15 PM
nah sis lol just not well these days havnt forgotten u guys i do peek in sometimes.

Qurratul Ayn
04-08-2013, 08:53 PM
Sister forgot us and ate the whole cake alone!

Periwinkle18
04-09-2013, 05:59 AM
Aww don't cry u cn make ur own :p

sister herb
04-09-2013, 06:42 AM
Palestinian eggplant baked with tomatoes and chickpeas

Musaqa'a is similar to French ratatouille. Though the pronunciation is the same, and both contain eggplant, this vegetarian dish is not the same as Greek moussaka. Also spelled musakka'a or musaqaa.

4 to 6 servings

Ingredients
•Eggplant, cubed -- 1 large
•Olive oil -- 3 tablespoons
•Salt and pepper -- to season
•Olive oil -- 1/4 cup
•Onion, chopped -- 1
•Tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped -- 3
•Chickpeas, cooked and rinsed -- 2 cups
•Water or tomato juice -- 1 cup
•Salt and pepper -- to season

Method
1.Preheat oven to 400°F. In a large bowl, toss the eggplant together with 3 tablespoons of olive oil, salt and pepper. Spread in a single layer in a roasting pan and roast in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until lightly browned and softened.
2.While the eggplant is roasting, heat the 1/4 cup olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until translucent. Add the tomatoes, chickpeas, water or tomato juice, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and stir to heat through, 3 to 4 minutes. Adjust seasoning to taste.
3.Place the eggplant in a casserole dish and pour the tomato-onion mixture over it. Place in the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until bubbling through. Remove and serve hot or at room temperature.

Variations
•The eggplant can be cut in 1/2-inch rounds and sautéed in hot oil instead of roasting it if you like.
•The chickpeas can be eliminated.
•Add some chopped parsley and/or 1 teaspoon of ground allspice to the tomato-onion mixture if you like.

sister herb
04-10-2013, 08:02 AM
Chocolate and peppermint swirl cookies with basic cookie dough

Ingredients
2 and 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter (no substitutions), softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoons vanilla extract

1/4 teaspoon almond extract.

For the chocolate half

2 tablespoons coco

For the peppermint half
1 -2 teaspoons green food coloring
1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract

Directions

•In a bowl combine flour, baking soda, and salt.

•In the food process beat butter and sugar 1 minute or until creamy, occasionally scraping bowl with rubber spatula.

• Add egg and vanilla; beat until well mixed. Reduce speed to low; gradually beat in flour mixture just until blended, occasionally scraping down the sides.

•Divide the dough in half adding the coco to one half (if you find the dough too dry add a tablespoon of milk). Add the green dye and peppermint extract to the other.

•Refrigerate for 15 minutes.

•Roll the chocolate dough into a rectangle on wax paper, do the same with the peppermint dough and try to make the two rectangles of similar size

greenandbrown 1?w600 -

•Using the was paper place on rectangle on top of the other, peel off the wax paper and trim the sides

layers 1?w600 -

•Using the wax paper to help, roll the dough rectangle starting with the long side

roll 1?w600 -

•refrigerate for 15 minutes

•Cut 1 cm slices and arrange them on a baking sheet

•Bake on the lowest rack of a 180 C (375 F) oven for 5-8 minutes (you want the bottoms to become slightly golden but no more than that or you will lose the demarcation between the two colors)

bakedcookies 1?w600 -

•Place under the broiler until the tops are slightly golden

•Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes then transfer to a cooling wire rack

sister herb
04-10-2013, 09:08 AM
Watermelon rind jam

3 cups watermelon rind
1.5 cups sugar
Zest of one orange (the colored part only not the white)
juice of half a lemon
1 cinnamon stick

Remove the green parts off the rind and then cut the rind into 1-2 cm cubes.

Add enough boiling water to submerge the rind cubes then leave it to cool down and store it in the fridge over night

the next day drain the watermelon reserving 2 cups water and then add the watermelon and water to a pot and bring it to a boil over medium heat.

When the water boils lower the heat and allow it to simmer for 10 minutes.

Add the sugar (you need to add half the amount of watermelon in sugar, the ratio is 2:1 watermelon rind to sugar) and stir till the sugar dissolves

Then add the cinnamon and orange peel and lower the heat .

Stir the mix occasionally for an hour over very low heat keeping the pot partially covered. (you may need to add water if you feel the fluid is drying up before the watermelon rind is cooked through, you’ll know it is cooked through when it turns translucent )

Gradually the liquid will thicken and deepen in color, if you like the watermelon rind to be of candied fruit consistency leave it till it is deep amber color and most of the liquid has been absorbed

If you like it to more closer to the consistency of a loose jam take it off the heat when the color is golden.

One thing you should remember, the color and consistency of the jam will continue to deepen and thicken after you take it off the heat as it cools down.

Notes:

If you do not go through enough watermelon to produce 3 cups of rind you can peel and cut the rind and submerge it in water and store it in the fridge, add to it until you have the entire amount you need to make the jam

Serving suggestions:

The jam is eaten with bread , toast ,with some heavy or double cream or with some butter. You can also top desserts with it. There is also the option of cutting it with a cookie cutter instead of cutting the rind into squares and cooking it the same way and then draining off the liquid and allowing it to drain over night on a wire rack and serving as candy

Periwinkle18
04-10-2013, 12:52 PM
Chocolate and peppermint swirl cookies with basic cookie dough

Ingredients
2 and 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter (no substitutions), softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoons vanilla extract

1/4 teaspoon almond extract.

For the chocolate half

2 tablespoons coco

For the peppermint half
1 -2 teaspoons green food coloring
1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract

Directions

•In a bowl combine flour, baking soda, and salt.

•In the food process beat butter and sugar 1 minute or until creamy, occasionally scraping bowl with rubber spatula.

• Add egg and vanilla; beat until well mixed. Reduce speed to low; gradually beat in flour mixture just until blended, occasionally scraping down the sides.

•Divide the dough in half adding the coco to one half (if you find the dough too dry add a tablespoon of milk). Add the green dye and peppermint extract to the other.

•Refrigerate for 15 minutes.

•Roll the chocolate dough into a rectangle on wax paper, do the same with the peppermint dough and try to make the two rectangles of similar size

greenandbrown 1?w600 -

•Using the was paper place on rectangle on top of the other, peel off the wax paper and trim the sides

layers 1?w600 -

•Using the wax paper to help, roll the dough rectangle starting with the long side

roll 1?w600 -

•refrigerate for 15 minutes

•Cut 1 cm slices and arrange them on a baking sheet

•Bake on the lowest rack of a 180 C (375 F) oven for 5-8 minutes (you want the bottoms to become slightly golden but no more than that or you will lose the demarcation between the two colors)

bakedcookies 1?w600 -

•Place under the broiler until the tops are slightly golden

•Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes then transfer to a cooling wire rack

Yummy :)

sister herb
04-11-2013, 06:26 AM
Orange jam

The recipe is really simple yet the end result is enough to make you swear never to buy orange jam again. ;)

1 kg orange segments

750 grams to 1 kg (4-5 cups ) sugar

1 cup orange juice

Juice of 1 lemon

1 cup of thinly slices orange peel (optional)

Instructions

If you want to add the peel to the jam peel the oranges as thinly as possible, try to get the colored part only.

Remove the white part of the peel, discard.

Cut the oranges into 1 cm segments, add the sugar and let it stand for a couple of hours (this will draw out the juices of the orange segments)

Remove the seeds(they will float on top of the juice)

In a pot, add the orange segments, sugar, lemon juice and orange juice.

orangesegments 1?w600 -

Bring to a boil over medium low heat stirring occasionally.

When the mixture comes to a boil reduce the heat to low and stir every few minutes to make sure it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pot.

cook 1?w600 -

Simmer over low heat until the mixture is reduced to 1/3 the original amount and the consistency is thick (this should take an hour to an hour and a half)

If you plan on adding the orange peel, after the mixture has reduced to 1/2 its original size (40-50 minutes into cooking) add the peel.

after 1?w600 -

Allow the mixture to cool completely away from any sources of moisture. I cover the pot with a clean cloth while cooling, don’t use the lid of the pot, if you do the hot steam might condense into water drops and if water gets into the jam it goes bad.

Once the mixture has cooled, fill it into jars.

Notes:

You can double or half the recipe, the key is using equal amounts of orange and sugar.

Adding the orange peel will enhance the flavor of the jam and it will also act as a natural thickening agent.

Cook the jam to the point of having the consistency of a thick cake batter, remember it will thicken even more as it cools down.

The amount of sugar depends on the way you want to store the jam, if you want to keep it in the fridge use 750 grams of sugar. If you want to keep it outside the fridge use 1 kg sugar. I prefer using less sugar because that allows the fruit flavor to shine

sister herb
04-11-2013, 08:19 AM
Homemade labneh

Some call it yogurt cheese, others call it the Lebanese cream cheese but it is most commonly known as labneh. It is a staple on any breakfast menu, on dips, makes a wonderful sandwich with a few mint leaves or some pitted olives. To put it simply labneh is strained yogurt, it is super easy to make and very tasty and the best part is, you can flavor it any way you like. Mint, oregano, sumac, olives, chili flakes, your imagination is the limit, better yet why not try a combination of flavors and make a middle eastern dip that is all your own.

Compared to cream cheese, labneh is much healthier and lighter in calories, you can make it using regular yogurt or fat free yogurt but the best labneh is the one you make out of homemade yogurt. Another major plus to making labneh is that it is really easy to preserve, regular labneh lasts 2-3 weeks in the fridge. If you strain it further, you will get a labneh that you can roll into balls and these are called “labneh korat”or”labneh mka3baleh” which means “labneh balls”.

1 Kg Yogurt (greek, regular or fat free)

1 teaspoon salt

Place a piece of doubled cheesecloth or soft cotton fabric (preferably undyed and clean) in the colander and place the colander over a deep bowl

Stir the salt into the yoghurt then spoon the yoghurt in the center of a piece of the cheesecloth.

Leave to drain for 3-5 hours . (if the weather is hot allow it to drain in the fridge).

You can also pull the corners of the cheese cloth up and tie them tightly and then suspend from a stationary object over a bowl (to collect the whey) . Again if the weather is hot do this in the fridge.Let the labneh hang overnight,when well drained it will be the consistency of cottage cheese.

Remove from the cloth and store covered in the refrigerator until needed.

Notes

If your labneh is still too thin in consistency, you have two options to make it thicker

◾Fold the cheese cloth around the labneh and then place a weight over the labneh (think heavy bottle or a bag of rice or sugar, something 3-5 kg in weight). The weight will help draw out the whey.

◾Leave the labneh to strain the fridge, get a clean white fabric and wrap the labneh in it and place it in the fridge in a colander over a bowl to collect the whey. Change the fabric two times a day for 2-3 days and the labneh should become very thick as the fabric will draw the whey out of it

Flavors: You can mix in fresh or dried herbs, minced garlic, pepper flakes or any other flavoring you like.

Cheese cloth The purpose of “cheese cloth” is to separate the curds from the whey by allowing the whey to drain while holding the curds and preventing them from passing through. What most people think of as “cheese cloth:” the very wide weave material is often useless for this purpose unless you double it over itself 4 or 8 times . I recommend using either a large plain white cotton handkerchiefs, or white non-terry cotton dish towels, something clean that you dedicate for cheese making and make sure it is a fabric with fine weave

If you don’t have a cheese cloth try using unbleached coffee filters lining a fine sieve to strain the yogurt

To Serve Labneh:
◾Spread it evenly over a medium-sized plate. Sprinkle with fresh seasonal herbs like mint or dill – or place a few olives around the center of the plate. Drizzle a thread of olive oil over all. Serve with pita or other fresh bread

◾Use it as a spread to make a sandwich, plain or with some mint on top.

◾Serve it as a dip with cucumber, carrots or celery sticks

sister herb
04-11-2013, 03:51 PM
Cheese and anise bread

(feteer falahi bjebneh - Palestinian peasant pastry)

To make 8 squares

The dough
1 kg all purpose flour
1 tablespoon yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
water
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup vegetable oil

I usually half the recipe to get 4 squares, you can double or half the recipe according to your needs

The filling
Cheese and anise filling
3 cups of nabulsi cheese (or any firm salty cheese that holds its shape during baking) cut into small 1 cm cubes
2 tablespoons anise

Instructions

Mix the filling ingredients in a bowl , set aside

In a 1/4 cup of warm water dissolve the yeast and sugar and wait for the yeast to bubble (this is called proofing the yeast, if the yeast does not bubble and foam, it has gone bad and you need to buy a new one)

Add the salt to the flour, whisk to combine, add the yeast/water mixture and start kneading adding water gradually till you get a soft sticky dough consistency (I needed 2 cups of water but the amount varies with the type of flour)

Knead the dough for 5-7 minutes, allow to rest , covered in a warm place for half an hour

In a bowl add the vegetable oil and olive oil and keep it next to your working area.

Wet your hands with a little oil and cut the dough into 8 balls , brush each ball in the oil mixture and allow to rest for another 10-15 minutes

Brush a pan or your working surface with a little oil, start with the first dough ball you cut and spread it into a circle roughly 25 cm or 10 inches in diameter

Brush the top with a little oil then fold one-third of the circle onto the middle third of it (as you can see in the picture)

Spread your filling onto the folded part of the dough then fold the other third over the filling (the dough should now look like a rectangle)

Fold one-third of the rectangle over the middle third, cover it with your filling of choice.

Fold the other third over your filling (now you should have a square dough)

Allow this one to rest while you start working on the next one.

Once you have stuffed and folded all the dough balls, go back to the first square and brush it with oil and spread it into a larger square using a rolling-pin or your hands. Then do the same with the rest of your squares.

Note: The larger and thinner you spread the filled dough, the more crispy the final brad will be. If you would rather have a soft and chewy bread, don’t spread the filled dough squares too much

Transfer the dough to a baking sheet that you have brushed with oil and sprinkle them with anise.

Bake on the middle rack of a preheated oven (270 C or the highest temperature your oven will go)

Once the bottom is golden brown, turn on the broiler till the tops are golden brown too Don’t leave this bread unattended, it browns quickly because it is thin

Allow the bread to cool on a wire rack for 7-10 minutes and then cover with a clean dry cloth to keep it from becoming dry.

Notes:
◾This bread can be frozen for up to 3 months, just wrap well in a plastic bag and freeze it.When you want to eat it just get it out of the freezer and into a heated oven for a few minutes till it is warmed through and it will be as good as new
◾You can make the bread in a smaller individual portion size by cutting the dough into smaller balls (16 balls instead of 8 if you are making the whole recipe)
◾Nabulsi cheese is a salty firm cheese made from goat’s milk, I will be sharing the recipe and the step by step procedure to making it in a post coming very soon. If you can’t find it, you can replace it with any firm and salty cheese you like
◾The filling can be adapted to your liking. Spinach and onions, oregano and green onions, or almonds are the traditional choices but you can try new and different combinations,use your imagination.

sister herb
04-12-2013, 05:18 PM
Candied Pomelo Rind

http://www.munchinwithmunchkin.com/w...nd-3.jpg?w=650

(Picture is too large - that´s why it is just as link.)

1 pomelo
2 cups sugar
2 cups water

Use a paring knife to make four slices along the top of the pomelo rind to the bottom. Peel pomelo saving the fruit for a different purpose.

Carefully remove all of the white pith from the green peel. The pith is quite bitter so you want to remove as much as you can. Discard the pith.

Slice the pomelo rind into ¼ inch by 3 inch sticks.

Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Place pomelo rind in the pot and blanch for one minute.

Discard the water and rinse rind under cool water. Repeat this process three times. This will help to remove a lot of the rinds bitterness.

Place two cups of water and two cups of sugar in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil to dissolve the sugar.

Add pomelo rind to the sugar water and simmer for 1-1 ½ hours, until the liquid has been absorbed and the rinds are translucent.

Carefully move the rinds to a rack and sprinkle with sugar. Let them dry for about 3 hours, turning them halfway through.

Store in a sealed container.

Hulk
04-19-2013, 04:51 PM
Finally got around to try making a cheesecake,

I used two blocks of cream cheese, one of which is 80 percent reduced fat. I used splenda as a sugar substitute. I used chocolate protein powder. 2 whole eggs. Crushed leftover cookies as crust. I think I may have left it in the oven for too long. I do not have a mixer so I used a blender. When I checked on it in the oven it was already broken at the top. As for taste, well it tastes like chocolate cheesecake! Except that I was probably too modest with the splenda, might need to use more splenda in the future.

sister herb
04-19-2013, 05:28 PM
^^ Looks nice!

;D

Hulk
04-23-2013, 09:47 AM
Just tried making some "healthy ice cream".

Simply some chopped frozen strawberries, skimmed milk, chocolate powder. It's up to you what kind of milk you want. I was supposed to use frozen banana but I didn't store it right so it wasn't so fresh when I took it out.

Put them all in the blender except the milk, then pour very little milk in it and then blend. See how it goes, if you feel it needs more milk then add a bit more till you feel its enough. You can try putting it again in the fridge after that to see how it goes but I just ate it as it is.

Very little calories and an easy way to get your fibre and micronutrients in.

sister herb
04-26-2013, 09:49 AM
Some basic tips how to cook tongue:

1. Choose a good tongue (the smaller, the better).

2. Wash it carefully.

3. Put it in a saucepan, cover with cold water, add some peppers (whole, not ground!), bay leaf, a piece of carrot, a piece of a celery root and boil it for at least 2 hours at minimal to average heat. (You can easily understand when the tongue is ready - knife easily goes into it, like in well-cooked or something like this. Then salt it).

4. When the tongue is ready, IMMEDIATELY put it into cold water and peel. This is very easy when water is cold and you are quick.

Well, you have a wonderful, tender and delicious tongue. Now you can do what you like. You can slice it and serve with mashed potatoes and some traditional sauces: horse-radish or mustard. Or else you can cover slices of tongue with grated cheese and bake for few minutes.

Tender Beef Tongue with Onions and Garlic

1 beef tongue
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 shallot, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno (optional), sliced in half or minced
Pinch of red chili flakes
1 bay leaf

Instructions:

Put all ingredients into a pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and then turn it down to a simmer for about 3 hours until tender. Let cool until you are able to handle. Peel off skin and slice.

sister herb
04-26-2013, 05:38 PM
Spinach pastry triangles (Fatayer sabanekh)

Dough

4 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour

1/2 cup of yogurt

1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) olive oil

pinch of salt

one sachet (2 1/2 teaspoons) dried yeast

1 teaspoon sugar

1 cup warm water (divided into 1/4 cup for proofing the yeast and 3/4 for kneading the dough)

Spinach filling

1 kg fresh spinach (or 500 g frozen spinach with the water squeezed out)(See notes)

1 medium onion finely chopped

1 green onion finely chopped

2 tablespoons olive oil

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

2 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon sumac (optional)

2-4 tablespoons lemon juice or 1/2 teaspoon citric acid or (depending on how tart you like the filling to be) See notes

Instructions◾To make the dough
◾Proof the yeast with 1/4 cup of warm water and 1 teaspoon of sugar. (proofing the yeast means mixing it with sugar and water and waiting for it to foam and bubble. Foaming means that the yeast is active and good to work with and this should take 10-15 minutes at most)
◾While waiting for the yeast to proof, add the salt to the flour then add the olive oil and rub it into the flour with your finger tips.
◾Add the yogurt and again rub it into the flour.
◾When the yeast has bubbled, add it to the flour mixture, and mix
◾Gradually add in the water, you may need a little more of less as different flours absorb water differently. You need to add water and knead the dough until it is smooth and round.
◾Brush a bowl with a little oil, place the dough in it and drizzle some more oil to keep it from drying
◾Let the dough rise in warm place covered with a moist towel until it doubles in size. This should take about one hour depending on how warm or cold the weather is

Prepare the stuffing
◾If using frozen spinach: Defrost and thaw out the spinach. Place it in a colander and squeeze out as much juice as possible. You want it to be very dry.
◾If using fresh spinach: chop the spinach then place it in a pot and wilt for 2-5 minutes over medium low heat. Allow the spinach to cool then squeeze out as much juice as possible. You want the spinach to be very dry

◾Chop the onions very fine and add them to the spinach.
◾Add the olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper and sumac. Add the spices and lemon juice immediately before stuffing the pastry. If you do it too early the stuffing will be too wet. If the stuffing is too wet, it will open up the turnovers.
◾Cut the dough into egg sized pieces.
◾Roll out each piece into a circle
◾Add 1-2 tablespoons of stuffing
◾Pinch 2 ends first and then the third to form a pyramid.(If you have a little trouble with sealing the dough, dip your finger tips in flour.)

◾Place the fatayer on a greased cookie sheets and make sure all the fatayer are sealed well .
◾Bake them on the middle rack of a preheated oven at 270 C. for about 10 to 15 minutes or until the bottoms are golden.
◾Turn on the broiler until the tops are golden
◾Cool the fatayer on a wire rack

Notes

Can I add other greens to the spinach pastry stuffing? Yes, you can replace part of the spinach with oregano, collard green or kale

Lemon juice or citric acid traditionally these spinach fatayer were made with lemon juice and consumed immediately. The problem with using lemon juice if that it makes the filling wet and this can cause the pastry triangles to open during baking or to turn slightly soggy if you store them for a couple of days. To get the tart taste without the extra fluid you can use citric acid. Citric acid is a week organic acid that is used to add a tart or sour taste to food and it is used to acidify milk in cheese making.

Tart or mild the use of sumac, citric acid or lemon juice is meant to add a tart taste to the spinach filling. You can make these spinach triangles without them and enjoy a mild fatayer. If you choose to use them, the amount is up to your taste. The amounts in the recipe are suggestions. Add them little by little and adjust the amounts according to your taste.

Shapes: You can shape these fatayer or pastry in any shape you like. Any form that encloses the filling is fine.Here is one more suggestion on how to fold them

Hulk
04-26-2013, 05:54 PM
The tongue looks interesting sis :) I've never tasted it before but some of the people who I know have tasted it quite enjoy it. I've tasted brain before though, not quite a fan hehe.

I've taken another whack at making a cheesecake but this time I only used 250g of the reduced fat cream cheese, I no longer have leftover cookies but I found some cream crackers which I decided to use as crust. Used chocolate powder, aspertame, some cookies n cream ice cream.

This time around I am not baking it, it's a no bake cheesecake. I also didn't use a blender as it was too hassley to clean up. Just mixed it manually.

In my opinion this time around it looks and tastes better but I messed up with the crust (so silly). I didn't mix up the crumbs with melted butter and I didn't put it in the fridge while preparing the batter.

sister herb
04-28-2013, 01:40 PM
Butter biscuits

*easy to make*

Ingredients

125g butter, softened
1/2 cup caster sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg, at room temperature
2 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon milk

Step 1
Preheat oven to 180°C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.

Step 2
Using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar and vanilla in a small bowl until pale and creamy. Add egg and mix until well combined. Sift flour and baking powder over butter mixture. Add milk and stir until just combined.

Cook 20 min.

Note: you can add to dough 1/2 decilitre raisins.

sister herb
04-29-2013, 08:13 AM
Chai Cookies

2 cups sugar

2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon ground ginger

1 teaspoon ground cardamom

1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper (optional)

1/2 teaspoon ground allspice

1 cup butter, room temperature

2 large eggs

1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

2 3/4 cups flour

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons cream of tartar*

1 teaspoon baking soda*

* Note: instead of cream of tartar and baking soda you can also use 2 teaspoon baking powder.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F/175C. Lightly grease a baking sheet or line with parchment paper.

In a large bowl combine the sugar and spices. Set aside 1/2 cup of this mixture and place in a small bowl. Add butter to bowl and cream with sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat until completely incorporated. Add vanilla and beat again.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, cream of tartar and baking soda. Add to sugar mixture and stir until fully incorporated.

Chill dough for 15 to 30 minutes. Shape dough into 1-inch balls and roll in reserved sugar mixture. Place on baking sheet, leaving at least 2 inches between balls.

Bake for 12 minutes, or until edges are firm and beginning to brown. Cool for 5 minutes on baking sheet, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.

Try with Chai tea (recipe of Chai tea: post #654 in this thread).

sister herb
05-01-2013, 07:31 AM
White-chocolate chai truffles

(15 - 20 truffles)

6 ounces high-quality, white-chocolate, chopped
4 tablespoons heavy cream
1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

1. Pour the cream into a small heatproof bowl and place over a pan of simmering water, making sure that the water does not come into direct contact with the bowl. Stir the cream with a wire whisk until heated through (i.e. warm to the touch).

2. Combine the spices in a small mixing bowl; set aside.

3. Stir the white chocolate into the cream until it is melted and smooth. Remove the bowl from the double-boiler, and stir in the vanilla and about one-half of the spice mixture. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place into the refrigerator to cool for approximately 1 hour. When ready, the ganache should be firm but pliable enough to scoop.

4. Using either a teaspoon or a small ice cream scoop, place mounds of the ganache onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate again, for 15 minutes.

5. Remove the sheet from refrigerator and roll the ganache mounds in the palms of your hands to create rounded truffles. Try to work quickly; the truffles become stickier as they warm to room temperature. Depending on size, this recipe yields about 15-20 truffles.

6. Dust truffles with the remaining spices, cinnamon, or powdered sugar. If you plan to ship the truffles or give them away as gifts, as I did, you can purchase candy cups and boxes from a craft store like Michael’s.

7. Store the finished truffles in the refrigerator, but allow them to come to room temperature before eating.

*DELICIOUS VARIATIONS

You can create milk- or dark-chocolate truffles using the same ganache recipe but substituting your desired type of chocolate. When making chocolate truffles, I usually add 1 teaspoon of instant coffee, which contributes to the depth of flavor without adding a discernible coffee taste. You can coat the truffles with toasted hazelnuts, toffee pieces, crushed peppermints, or melted chocolate. The possibilities are endless, and the results are reliably delicious!

sister herb
05-01-2013, 09:20 AM
Berry No-Bake Cheesecake Tart with Chocolate Crust

2 cups chocolate cookies

1/4 cup, plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided

8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/2 cup)

1 8oz/227g package cream cheese

1 tablespoon lemon juice

1 cup whipping cream

12 oz strawberries or other fruits such as mango, kiwi or any berries

In a sealable plastic bag, thoroughly crush chocolate cookies with a rolling pin or use a food processor. Mix crumbs and 2 tablespoons sugar in a bowl. Melt butter and blend well with the crumb mixture. Press into the bottom and up along the sides of a buttered and floured 8-inch tart pan or springform pan--or eve a regular pie plate. Cover with plastic wrap and chill until firm.

While crust is setting, beat cream cheese in a bowl until soft. Add 1/4 cup sugar, lemon juice, and vanilla extract. Beat mixture until fluffy and smooth. In a separate chilled bowl, beat whipping cream until firm peaks form. Fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture. Add the filling into the chocolate crust and spread out evenly. Arrange sliced strawberries or other fruit on top of cheesecake. Cover and chill for a couple of hours before serving.

Note: You can make this a day before. Refrigerate overnight until serving.

Periwinkle18
05-01-2013, 10:22 AM
The tongue looks interesting sis :) I've never tasted it before but some of the people who I know have tasted it quite enjoy it. I've tasted brain before though, not quite a fan hehe.

I've taken another whack at making a cheesecake but this time I only used 250g of the reduced fat cream cheese, I no longer have leftover cookies but I found some cream crackers which I decided to use as crust. Used chocolate powder, aspertame, some cookies n cream ice cream.

This time around I am not baking it, it's a no bake cheesecake. I also didn't use a blender as it was too hassley to clean up. Just mixed it manually.

In my opinion this time around it looks and tastes better but I messed up with the crust (so silly). I didn't mix up the crumbs with melted butter and I didn't put it in the fridge while preparing the batter.

Akhiii buy some strawberries or blueberries n decorate ur. Cheese cake would look good :) n would b yummy.

sister herb
05-12-2013, 04:57 PM
Sage herb nutrition facts

Sharply flavored, sage herb or garden sage is one of the popular pot herbs known since ancient Roman times. This legendary herb with numerous virtues, long held to be the guardian over all other herbs, has been in use in various traditional European and Chinese medicines for its health promoting and disease preventing properties.

Herb sage is an evergreen perennial shrub commonly seen all over the Mediterranean and south-eastern Europe (Balkan) regions. Botanically, the plant belongs to the family of Lamiaceae, of the genus: Salvia. Scientific name: Salvia officinalis.

The plant flourishes in well-drained alkaline soil under sunny conditions. It grows up to 75 cm height and feature woody, branching stems. Its aromatic leaves are grey-green, soft and pebble-like textured with fine hair-like filaments growing on either side. It bears violet-blue color bunches of flowers in summer.

Several cultivars of sage are grown either for medicinal or for culinary purposes.

Culinary uses

Sage leaves, in general, are harvested just before flowering for culinary purposes. Discard tough stems and fibers before use in recipes. Wash in cold water to remove soil and sand. Gently pat dry using soft cloth.

Sage herb is one of the common ingredients in Greek, Italian, and Balkan cuisine.

Here are some serving tips:
Fresh leaves can be used in stuffing in season sausages, poultry and fish.

The herb is also used in many vegetable dishes, especially with beans.

It is also used as a garnish in herb salads.

Herbal tea.

Side Effects

Concern has been expressed about the internal use of sage due to the presence of thujone. Even when consumed in small amounts for long periods of time, thujone may cause increased heart rate and mental confusion. Very high amounts (several times greater than one receives if taking sage as instructed above), may lead to convulsions. If one takes sage internally, it is best to limit use to the recommended amounts and to periods of no more than one to two weeks. Extracts of sage made with alcohol are likely to be higher in thujone than those made with water. Sage oil should never be consumed without being first diluted in water. Sage should not be used internally during pregnancy. These concerns do not extend to the use of sage as a gargle or mouth rinse. Sage should be avoided when fever is present.

Sage Walnut Pesto

3 cloves of garlic

1/2 cup of roasted walnuts

1 cup of sage leaves

1 cup of flat Italian parsley

1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper

1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil

Directions:

Mince the garlic and walnuts in a small food processor.

Add sage, parsley, salt, and pepper and blend in short bursts while pouring in the olive oil.

Fried Sage Leaves

Delicate, crunchy fried sage can be crushed and sprinkled on squash or bean soups, served as an accompaniment to burgers, and even eaten whole as a snack.

1 bunch fresh sage
1/4 cup olive oil
Coarse salt

1. Pinch off leaves from sage. Heat oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat until hot.

2. Fry 6–8 sage leaves at a time until crisp, 2–3 seconds. Transfer with a fork to paper towels and sprinkle generously with coarse salt.

Makes about 30 fried leaves.

Sage oil recipe

Ingredients
2 cups cooking oil (olive oil is a good first oil to try, but any oil will do)
2 cups lightly packed sage leaves
Large glass jar with tight fitting lid
Presentation bottle or oil dispenser
30 black peppercorns (whole)

Directions
Wash and dry sage leaves, and place them in a large glass jar with a tight fitting lid.

Add 20 or so lightly crushed peppercorns to the jar.

Heat oil (see note below)

Pour oil into the jar. Make sure you add enough to cover the leaves.

(Compress leaves with a mixing spoon until they're submerged in the oil if you have to.)

Allow the oil to cool completely and secure the lid on the jar.

Place the jar in a cool, dark spot for two to three weeks. (Test after two weeks to see if the mixture is flavorful enough for your taste. Three weeks should be about the maximum.)

Shake the jar three or four times a week (whenever you think about it) during the infusion process.

After two (or three) weeks, pour the oil through a fine mesh strainer and place it in its final container with the 10 additional peppercorns.

How to Make Sage Oil - Notes and Tips:

If you don't have enough leaves, you can use sage stems. They produce a stronger and sometimes slightly more resinous flavor, though.

Harvest sage in the morning after the dew has evaporated but before noon when the sun begins to warm up your herb patch.

Rinse sage leaves thoroughly and let them dry in a single layer on paper towels.

The idea is to heat the oil just enough to encourage the sage leaves to release their native oils into the mixture. Too hot, and the oil will cook the leaves -- that's a bad thing. A temperature of around 105 degrees F/40 degrees C or slightly warmer works well.

Leaves left in the mixture will keep adding flavor intensity over time. If you remove leaves from oil after infusing, you can use them in some other dishes for taste.

Cautions for Using Sage in Herbal Preparations: It is contraindicated if you are currently taking diabetes, anticonvulsant or sedative medications. For more specifics about drug interactions involving sage, the WebMD Sage page has useful information you'll want to review: Sage Interactions:

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supple...dientName=SAGE

Cinnamon-Sage Applesauce

Ingredients
8 tart-sweet apples (like Fuji, McIntosh, or Jonagold)
¼ cup water
½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 tbsp. maple syrup
1 tbsp. fresh sage, finely minced

Instructions
1.Wash apples, but do not peel. Chop into 1×1 inch pieces.
2.Place apple pieces in large pot and place over medium heat.
3.Add water and salt; then, bring to a boil. As soon as the pot begins to boil, reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and let simmer for thirty minutes.
4.Once apples are soft, remove pot from heat and stir in cinnamon, maple syrup, and fresh sage.
5.Transfer apple mixture to a food processor and blend until smooth, or use a hand-held electric blender to achieve the desired consistency.

Time: 1 hour

Sage salt

Ingredients
•40 grams of fresh sage leaves
•30 grams of sea salt

Pick the sage leaves from the stalks. Save the stalks to make a broth. Mix the sage with Sardinian sea salt. Try Celtic sea salt if you like. It is pale green and has a mossy flavor. Mix the sage and salt in the kitchen machine until the sage leaves dissolve into the salt. The result will be a bright green, earthy aromatic which will mellow with time.

Put the sage salt in a glass jar with a lid. Save it on a cupboard shelf that is not exposed to heat or direct sunlight. The brightness of the green will fade after a week or so into a fern color. The salt keeps well for many months.

Suggested combinations
Use sage salt as a rub for meats and fish. Sprinkle it over fresh pasta, adding a grassy olive oil and some capers. Roast pumpkin with sage salt and red pepper flakes. Toss new potatoes with it, adding lots of freshly chopped flat leaf parsley. Season grilled mushrooms with sage salt, adding a bit of truffle oil.

Notes
Save the sage stalks by wrapping them in a towel and putting them in the vegetable drawer in the refrigerator. Use a few stalks to cook a pot of beans. Make a broth with tomato and onion and add a few stalks while cooking.

Stuff a sea bass with sage stalks and garlic and grill it on the barbecue. Serve the bass with fresh corn on the cob.

Petti di pollo alla salvia (Sauted chicken breasts with fresh sage)

1 1/2 tb butter
2 chicken breasts; skinless,
1 1/2 tb lemon juice
2 1/2 tb Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
To taste black pepper
Salt
14 Fresh sage leaves

Preparation
1. Place the chicken breasts in a glass baking dish. Add the lemon juice, 1 1/2 Tb of the oil, and the sage leaves. Turn the chicken to coat evenly, cover, and set aside at room temperature for 30 minutes.

2. Remove the chicken from the marinade and pat dry. Strain the marinade into a small bowl; reserve the sage leaves separately.

3. In a medium skillet, melt the butter in the remaining tablespoon of oil over moderately high heat until hot and bubbly. Add the chicken breasts, smooth side down, and cook until evenly browned, about 5 minutes. Turn the breasts, and season the cooked side generously with salt and pepper. Tuck the reserved sage leaves around the chicken and cook until the chicken is browned on the bottom and just white throughout but still juicy, 5 to 10 minutes more. Do not scorch the sage.

4. Remove the skillet from the heat. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and season the bottom side with salt and pepper. Slice the chicken breasts on the diagonal into thick slices, and arrange on a warmed serving platter. Place the sage leaves over the chicken. Cover loosely with foil.

5. Discard the fat from the skillet. Heat the skillet over moderately high heat until hot. Add the reserved marinade and stir with a wooden spoon, scraping up the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. The sauce will boil almost immediately. As soon as it reduces to a brown glaze (less than 1 minute)

NOTES: This dish requires fresh sage leaves. Can substitute fresh rosemary or fresh tarragon.

Serve with lemon risotto or simple buttered pasta.

Mushroom and sage risotto

4 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups arborio rice
1 stick (4 ounces) butter
1 pound mushrooms, such as cremini and shiitake, sliced
1 large shallot
1/4 cup grapefruit juice
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
Grated peel and juice of 1/2 lemon
Salt
1/2 cup fresh sage leaves

1. In a saucepan, bring the broth to a boil. Add the rice; cook for 5 minutes. Drain and transfer to a bowl; return the broth to the pan and keep warm.

2. In a skillet, heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook until browned; transfer to a plate.

3. In a saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Add the shallot and cook until softened. Add the juice and cook until the liquid has evaporated. Stir in the rice, then add the broth, a ladleful at a time, adding more as it absorbs. Cook until the rice is tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in the parmesan, 1 tablespoon butter, the mushrooms and the lemon peel; season with salt. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes.

4. Meanwhile, in a skillet, heat the remaining 4 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Stir in the sage and cook until the butter turns golden and the sage is crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the lemon juice. Serve the risotto with the toasted butter and sage.

sister herb
05-17-2013, 03:27 PM
Chocolate mint cupcakes

Chocolate Cakes:
1 cup sour cream
½ cup oil
3 eggs
¼ cup water
½ cup buttermilk
Devil’s Food Cake Mix

Chocolate Mint Filling:
1/3 cup chocolate chips
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1 teaspoon peppermint extract
¼ cup powdered sugar

Mint Buttercream:
8 oz cream cheese
6 tablespoons butter
3-4 cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon heavy cream or milk
1 teaspoon peppermint extract
green food coloring

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line two cupcake pans with paper liners.
2. Using a whisk, mix sour cream, oil and vanilla extract together. Add eggs one at a time, stirring well in between each addition.
3. Alternate adding the cake mix and liquids (buttermilk and water), starting and ending with the cake mix.
4. Fill liners 2/3 full and bake for 14-18 minutes, or until and inserted knife come out clean.
5. Chocolate Mint Filling: Melt chocolate chips and heavy cream together in the microwave or on the stovetop over medium heat. Stir in peppermint extract and powdered sugar.
6. When cupcake come out of the oven, use a squeeze bottle to fill the cupcake with the filling, or use the filling as a ganache and dip the tops of the cakes into it.
7. Mint Buttercream: Beat cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. Add powdered sugar, heavy cream and peppermint extract and beat well. Add green food coloring and stir well
8. Pipe buttercream onto cooled cupcakes and top with extra Chocolate Mint Filling and an Andes Mint or some other mint-chocolate comfit.

sister herb
05-18-2013, 09:02 AM
Fresh Mint Hot Chocolate

1 cup cream
1/2 cup whole milk
5 sprigs fresh mint (more or less depending on desired mint flavor – this will give a pronounced flavor but not overpowering)
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups (about 9 oz) chopped dark chocolate

Bring the cream and milk to a simmer. Add the mint, turn off the heat then let sit for 30 minutes. With the back of a wooden spoon carefully bruise the mint in the cream mixture to release some of the essential oils.

Add the chocolate to a medium bowl.

Stir the salt into the cream then bring back up to a simmer over medium-low heat. Remove the mint.

Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and let sit for one minute. Whisk the cream and the chocolate together. If some chocolate remains unmelted, simply place the bowl over a bain marie or gently microwave at 15-30 second intervals. Stirring after each heating.

Add the ganache (chocolate and cream mixture) to a container and refrigerate until ready to use. Will keep in the fridge for at least 2 weeks.

When ready for a cup of hot chocolate add a couple of spoonfuls of ganache to a cup of heated milk. The amount is really based on taste. I like mine nice and rich so I add roughly 2 tablespoons to 6 oz of milk.

Serve with a marshmallow if you so desire.

sister herb
05-18-2013, 04:30 PM
Ok now something salty after so much chocolate:

Oven-Fried Onion Rings

2 medium onions (sweet or yellow) cut into 1/2 – inch rings

1/4 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. black pepper

1/4 tsp cayenne

1/2 cup buttermilk or plain yogurt

1 egg

1/4 cup + 1 tbl. flour

1 1/2 cups finely crushed potato chips

3 tbl. vegetable oil

Pre-heat your oven to 450F/235C.

Combine 1/4 cup flour, salt, pepper and cayenne in a bowl large enough to dip the onions into.

In another similar size bowl combine the buttermilk, egg and 1/4 cup + 1 tbl. flour. Whisk until a smooth batter is formed. This should be the consistency of a slightly loose pancake batter. If it’s too runny add 1 tbl. more flour.

Have all your ingredients nearby to minimize the mess. First your seasoned flour, then the batter and finally a bowl containing your finely crushed chips.

Dip an onion ring into the seasoned flour. This will help the batter to adhere which helps the chips to adhere. They all work together – deliciously.

After the seasoned flour, dip the onion into the buttermilk batter. Let the excess batter dribble off before you coat the wet ring with the crushed chips. You will need to use your hands a bit to make sure the chips adhere.

Repeat this process with all the onion rings.

Cover a baking sheet with a piece of parchment. Drizzle with 3 tbl. vegetable oil then pop it into the hot oven for 8 minutes – or until the oil just starts to smoke. Carefully remove the baking sheet from the oven and rotate to evenly coat with oil.

Quickly place your onion rings on the baking sheet then return to the oven. Bake for 8 minutes then flip each ring over before baking for another 8 minutes. Sprinkle with salt while they’re still hot.

*note* If you have problems getting the chips to stay on you can add in some crushed Saltine crackers. This helps with the adhesion. You can add as much as half the quantity of chips. So it would be 50% potato chips and 50% Saltine crackers.

You can serve them with:

Pickled Garlic Scape Tartar Sauce

1/4 cup mayonnaise

2 tbl. pickled garlic scapes, finely chopped (or any other pickled item you have on hand)

1/2 tsp. basil, finely chopped

1/2 tsp. fennel leaves, finely chopped

1/4 tsp. pickle juice – whatever pickle you use – add a tiny splash of it’s pickling juice

Combine all the ingredients. Taste and season with salt and pepper if it needs it. If you want a touch of heat this can handle the addition of a little, finely minced raw garlic.

Periwinkle18
05-18-2013, 05:44 PM
yum yum chocolate n mint cupcakes and mint hot chocolates me want!!

sister herb
05-18-2013, 06:13 PM
^^ Ok, after taking all chocolate, hopely you will leave at least onion rings to me...

Periwinkle18
05-18-2013, 06:21 PM
Lol sure np I know how to make onion rings so you cn keep those

Hulk
05-18-2013, 06:38 PM
Akhiii buy some strawberries or blueberries n decorate ur. Cheese cake would look good n would b yummy.
I'm so sorry I missed this ukhti, I should've visited this thread sooner then I would have been able to try your idea for my THIRD ATTEMPT.

I wanted to make something for my mum so this time around I didn't use any substitutes. I used FULL CREAM CHEESE, and a block of CHOCOLATE.

I used the same type of biscuits from my previous failed crust attempt, this time I blended it and then used some melted margarine to mold them into a base. Might as well say it now that I should have used butter. The margarine had a distinct taste which was much too distracting.

Anyway

here are some pics

Here I prepare the base, you can see the batter in the background

Here's the melted chocolate. Just kidding. It's burnt chocolate, cause I didn't know how to melt it, but I did manage to extract the parts that were still chocolate so I still got a chocoalte batter.

A piece of the end product, it has chocolate chunks in it which actually made it taste quite good but i honestly prefer it as low fat because this one just seems too thick.

glo
05-18-2013, 06:49 PM
Here's the melted chocolate. Just kidding. It's burnt chocolate, cause I didn't know how to melt it, but I did manage to extract the parts that were still chocolate so I still got a chocoalte batter.
You need to melt chocolate in a water bath (i.e. place the bowl with broken chocolate in a saucepan of boiling water and don't let any water spill into the chocolate!)
You can also melt it very carefully with a bit of milk or cream, I believe, but I haven't tried that myself ...

Periwinkle18
05-18-2013, 06:53 PM
Aww maybe nxt time ??

I had this one, its not baked from a famous French bakery ova here.

Don't worry akhi I know someone whos good at making cakes I'll get the recipe she talks I'm Urdu so I guess I'll have to translate will search InshaAllah.

sister herb
05-18-2013, 07:00 PM
Looks quite good, br Hulk... except that "melted" chocolate. :hmm:

Periwinkle18
05-18-2013, 07:04 PM
Its called a double broiler setup melting chocolate is easy if you add a lil butter it gives a glossy look :)

sister herb
05-18-2013, 07:09 PM
Glo might means this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ1LJRX9e7A

(I usually use just two kettles, bigger for water and smaller one inside for chocolate. With that water just and just touch the bottom of the smaller kettle. And of course I take care that water vapor doesn´t go to the chocolate - it may makes it lumpy.)

Hulk
05-18-2013, 07:23 PM
Moral of the story: Ask the experts before attempting something you've never attempted before. And thank you sis Periwinkle for the lovely picture that makes me happy that at least someone out there is making something proper ;D.

I am going to take a break from the kitchen, leave it to you guys and Sis Bluebell who isn't here right now.

Periwinkle18
05-18-2013, 07:29 PM
No no practice makes one perfect :) keep cooking don't lose hope too quickly ur dng a gr8 job :)

Honestly speaking I'm no expert srsly I just get hold of a recipe try it out n Alhumdulilah they just turn out good.I practice too you know baking is fun buh tricky at times.

sister herb
05-18-2013, 07:30 PM
Only you need is a chief to your kitchen...

sister herb
05-20-2013, 07:35 AM
Honey pistachio sesame cookies “barazek”

Makes 30 cookies

1 cup (200 g) butter softened
1 and 1/4 cups confectionary sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 teaspoons vinegar
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt
1 cup pistachio roughly chopped
1 cup sesame seeds
3 tablespoons honey or simple syrup (see notes)

Cream the butter with the sugar until the mix becomes light in color.

cream 1?w600 -

Add the eggs, one at a time and beat until completely incorporated

Add the vanilla and vinegar and beat

Whisk the flour with the baking powder and add it gradually with the salt to the mix and beat untill just incorporated

Do not over mix

Cover the dough and leave it in the fridge to rest for an hour up to overnight

To roll and bake the barazek cookies

Mix the sesame and honey and place it in a plate
place the chopped pistachio in a plate

Line your baking sheet with parchment

Place your oven rack in the middle position and preheat the oven to 180 C

Start by rolling pieces of the dough into walnut size balls

Press the dough ball into the pistachio, flatten it a little

Flip the cookie dough and press it into the sesame honey mix (If you like extra sesame topping, use a spoon to top the cookie with more sesame honey mix and press it into the dough to make sure it sticks)

Arrange the cookies on your baking sheet 2 cm apart

Bake for 15-20 minutes until the bottoms are golden brown

Turn on the broiler for a couple of minutes

Take out of the oven and allow to cook on the tray for 5 minutes them transfer to a wire rack and cook completely

Store in an air tight container

Notes:
If you find it hard to get the sesame topping to stick to the cookies, you can take a spoonful of the sesame honey topping and press it gently to the top of the cookies instead of pressing the cookies into the sesame
You can make these cookies crunchy by making them thin, the thinner they are the more crisp and crunchy they turn out to be after baking but you will need to reduce the baking time as they will bake faster when they ate thinner. I like them a little on the chewy side so I made mine a little thick
By simple syrup I mean the syrup you make by boiling 2 cups of sugar with 1 cup of water and 1 tablespoon lemon juice. You can flavor it with rosewater , cinnamon, orange peel or leave it plain

sister herb
05-20-2013, 08:20 AM
Olive tapenade

olitop 1?w600 -

1/2 cup pitted olives
Juice of half a lemon
7-10 springs of parsley
Salt
Pepper
1 clove garlic
1/4 cup olive oil

In the food processor pulse all the ingredients while drizzling the olive oil.

Use with bread, pizzas, pasta, grilled chicken etc.

sister herb
05-20-2013, 01:37 PM
Cheese stuffed bread

Stuffed bread is so versatile, it makes for a great lunch or sliced up it is a wonderful appetizer for a party. It is faster and easier than making individualized appetizers and the best part is: the possibilities for the stuffing are endless.

Triple cheese stuffed bread: combine cheddar and other hard or semi-hard cheeses.

Mediterranean cheese: Feta, cheddar and Halloumi cheese with mint

Not a fan of cheese try: minced meat with sautéed onions, tomatoes and pepper

Want a vegetarian version: try spinach and sautéed onions

Feeling like something sweet: some softened butter and cinnamon turn this into a yummy dessert

Not into too much butter but still into something sweet: try stuffing it with date paste with cinnamon and cardamom

Ingredients
◾1/4 cup (60 ml) warm water
◾3/4 cup warm milk
◾1 egg
◾1/4 cup (57 gram) butter, softened
◾1/4 cup (50 gram) white sugar
◾1/2 teaspoon (2 grams)salt
◾3 1/4 tp 3 1/2 cups ( 416-448 gram) all-purpose flour
◾2 teaspoons (8 grams) dry yeast
◾1/4 teaspoon (1 gram)cardamom optional

For topping
◾1/4 cup (60ml) of milk
◾1 tablespoon (14 gm) sugar

Stuffig
◾1 cup (80 grams) cheese shredded (you can use any firm salty cheese)
◾5 springs parsley or mint

Instructions

In a bowl whisk the egg with milk, water, sugar, butter and yeast.

Set aside

In another bowl sift the flour with the salt and the cardamom .

Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and knead until you get a smooth dough.

Place it in a bowl you have brushed with some oil and cover it with a wet cloth and leave it in a warm place to double

(If you are tight on time you can heat your oven to 200 C then turn it off and place your dough in a glass bowl and place it in the warm oven with the wet cloth covering the bowl)

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface

Roll into a rectangle

Spread cheese stuffing leaving 1 inch (2.5cm) margin all around

5 1?w600 -

Roll the dough from the long side into a tube form

Join both ends of the tube and pinch the dough together

Using a scissor or a knife make cuts that go 2/3 of the way through the dough

Turn the slices 90 degrees so that cut part faces upward

Using a brush, brush the dough with milk

Allow to rest for 15 minutes during which you would heat your oven to 270C (500F) (rack in the middle)

Bake for 5 minutes on 270C (500F) then lower the temperature to 200 C (400 F) and cook for 15-20 more minutes (ovens do differ greatly, so the time may differ..what you want is to bake it until the under side is golden brown)

Turn on the broiler for a couple of minutes until it is golden brown on top

sister herb
05-22-2013, 03:54 PM
Easy Garlic Bread

Ingredients for quick snack garlic bread recipe

1 Premade Pizza Base
3 Garlic Cloves (crushed/grated)
1 Tbsp Margarine
Pinch Dried Basil
Pinch Salt
Water

First feel the texture of your premade pizza base, if it is dry they run cold water over the top of it by running it under the tap.

Place onto a pizza tray with holes.

Mix together the garlic, basil and margarine.

Rub the butter all over the pizza base.

Top with sliced tomatoes, sprinkle with salt.

Place into a hot oven (225C - 250C) for 10 minutes or until golden brown.

Now your delicious quick garlic bread is ready, slice and serve.

sister herb
05-22-2013, 08:38 PM
Mock Almond Crunch

8 whole graham crackers

1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted

3/4 cup dark brown sugar

1/2 cup + 2 T butter

1/4 teaspoon Fleur de Sel, Maldon, Vanilla salt – or some other fine finishing salt

3/4 cup bittersweet chocolate chips (Ghirardelli 60%)

Lightly butter a 10×10 baking dish. Pre-heat your oven to 325*.

Arrange the graham crackers on the bottom of the dish and sprinkle the toasted almonds on top. Set aside.

In a medium sauce pan melt the butter and brown sugar and boil for 3 minutes. Pour sugar mixture over the crackers and almonds in a thin even layer. Sprinkle with salt.

Place dish in the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes or until the toffee layer is bubbling all over.

Remove from the oven. When the bubbles have subsided sprinkle on the chocolate chips and let the residual heat melt them. With an offset spatula smooth the chocolate layer over the entire surface.

While still warm score the candy with a sharp knife cutting them into your desired shape and size.

Place in the freezer for 10 minutes to set the chocolate. Remove from pan and cut along the scored markings.

Serve immediately or can be sealed in an airtight container for up to one week. Can also be frozen for up to one month.

sister herb
05-23-2013, 08:06 AM
Nescafe cake

Ingredients:
◾4 heaping tablespoons, Nescafe
◾2 cups hot water
◾1 pint heavy whipping cream, cold
◾1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
◾2 and a half sleeves, Ulker tea biscuits (full package contains 5 sleeves), or similar
◾Garnish – Cocoa powder (or Nescafe)

Directions:
1.Combine 2 cups of hot water with 4 tablespoons Nescafe in a shallow dish. If you prefer a stronger coffee taste, increase the amount of Nescafe. Be careful about adding too much, lest it become bitter.
2.Pour cold heavy whipping cream into a large bowl. Beat on medium speed for 2-3 minutes, until soft peaks form. Do not over beat.
3.Gently fold in one can of sweetened condensed milk. Be sure to scrape down sides of bowl to fully incorporate all ingredients. Set aside.
4.Dip tea biscuits into coffee mixture for 3 – 4 seconds. Long enough to soak without falling apart. Cover bottom of 9×13 dishwith full layer of soaked biscuits. Repeat for a second layer.
5.Spread half of the sweetened whip cream mixture evenly over the first layer of biscuits.
6.Repeat with another layer of soaked biscuits. Spread remaining whipped cream evenly on top. Dust with cocoa powder.
7.Cover and refrigerate 4 hours to overnight.

Important notes to consider:
◾If using a hand mixer, you will need to beat the whipping cream for 5-6 minutes.
◾If the coffee mixture is cold, the biscuits will soak up less liquid. Hold the biscuits in the liquid for 5-6 seconds.

sister herb
05-23-2013, 09:59 AM
Candied Orange Peels

MAKES 40 - 50 STRIPS

(Marie Tymstra, author Margo True's aunt, preferred California navels for this recipe.)

3 navel oranges
1 cup sugar

Trim 1/2'' off ends of navel oranges, then make a slit in rinds and scoop out flesh. Slice peels into 1/3-inch-wide strips, put in a bowl, cover with water, and refrigerate overnight. Transfer strips to a medium pot, cover with water, and bring to a boil over medium heat. Drain strips and set aside. In same pot bring sugar and 1/2 cup water to a boil until sugar dissolves. Add strips. Simmer until soft and glazed, about 30 minutes. Dry strips on a rack until tacky. Roll in sugar and dip ends in melted chocolate, if you like.

جوري
05-23-2013, 01:56 PM
Nescafe cake

Ingredients:
◾4 heaping tablespoons, Nescafe
◾2 cups hot water
◾1 pint heavy whipping cream, cold
◾1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
◾2 and a half sleeves, Ulker tea biscuits (full package contains 5 sleeves), or similar
◾Garnish – Cocoa powder (or Nescafe)

Directions:
1.Combine 2 cups of hot water with 4 tablespoons Nescafe in a shallow dish. If you prefer a stronger coffee taste, increase the amount of Nescafe. Be careful about adding too much, lest it become bitter.
2.Pour cold heavy whipping cream into a large bowl. Beat on medium speed for 2-3 minutes, until soft peaks form. Do not over beat.
3.Gently fold in one can of sweetened condensed milk. Be sure to scrape down sides of bowl to fully incorporate all ingredients. Set aside.
4.Dip tea biscuits into coffee mixture for 3 – 4 seconds. Long enough to soak without falling apart. Cover bottom of 9×13 dishwith full layer of soaked biscuits. Repeat for a second layer.
5.Spread half of the sweetened whip cream mixture evenly over the first layer of biscuits.
6.Repeat with another layer of soaked biscuits. Spread remaining whipped cream evenly on top. Dust with cocoa powder.
7.Cover and refrigerate 4 hours to overnight.

Important notes to consider:
◾If using a hand mixer, you will need to beat the whipping cream for 5-6 minutes.
◾If the coffee mixture is cold, the biscuits will soak up less liquid. Hold the biscuits in the liquid for 5-6 seconds.
I love this I always wanted a recipe for tirmisu that didn't include liquor

thanks a mill.. traditionally 'lady's finger' biscuits get used I think they've a spongier nature and soak up more coffee and I am so glad this is an egg free effort-- I hate eggs in desert ugh

sister herb
05-23-2013, 03:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by العنود

I love this I always wanted a recipe for tirmisu that didn't include liquor

thanks a mill.. traditionally 'lady's finger' biscuits get used I think they've a spongier nature and soak up more coffee and I am so glad this is an egg free effort-- I hate eggs in desert ugh
Bon apetit, sister!

sister herb
05-23-2013, 07:12 PM
Apple Marzipan Candy

These are very easy and fast to make. You can store them in an airtight container in the fridge.

The ingredients

-50 grams or 1,7 ounces of dried apples (if you don’t want to count, just throw in approximately 1 1/2 cups)

-2 tbls apple juice concentrate

-300 grams or 10 ounces of marzipan

-some confectioner’s sugar, one tbls is enough

-250 grams or 8 ounces of dark chocolate

Place the marzipan, apple juice and dried apples into a food processor and make them into a paste.

Place some confectioner’s sugar on some baking paper and place the marzipan paste on top of it. Mold it into a log shape.

Cut it into equal size pieces, it is better to make these rather small.

Roll them into balls between your hands.

Melt the chocolate in a bain-marie or in a microwave oven.

Dip the balls into the chocolate; I used some toothpicks for help.

Leave them in a cool place to firm up. I placed some silver decorations on top of them so that the holes from the toothpicks wouldn’t show.

sister herb
05-26-2013, 12:50 PM
Oven-fried Potato Chips Recipe

homemade potato chips?ea6e46 -

Ingredients
4 russet (baking) potatoes, peeled and sliced diagonally 1/8 inch thick
1/2 stick (1/4 cup) of butter, melted
Coarse salt to taste

Method
Pat the potatoes dry between paper towels and arrange them in one layer in 2 buttered cookie sheets; if you have a non-stick cooking spray, this works fine for greasing the pans. Brush the potatoes with the butter, bake them in a preheated 500°F/250C oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown. Sprinkle them with the salt.

Yield: Serves 4.

Note: Use a cheese slicer to help cut the potatoes in thin, even slices.

Born_Believer
05-26-2013, 01:36 PM
just looked through this, my mouth is watering...please stop :p

i jut wish i had more time to cook but as soon has uni is over i'm gettin myself in the kitchen.

sister herb
05-26-2013, 02:36 PM
Mint Jelly Recipe
(traditional with lamb)

The tarter the apples, the more pectin they will usually have. If you are using home picked apples, earliest in the season is best, and the smaller apples will have proportionally more pectin as well.

mint jelly?ea6e46 -

Ingredients
4 lbs of tart apples (e.g. Granny Smith), unpeeled, chopped into big pieces, including the cores (including the cores is important as this is where most of the natural pectin is)
1 1/2 cups of fresh spearmint leaves, chopped, lightly packed
2 cups water
2 cups white vinegar
3 1/2 cups sugar (7/8 cups for each cup of juice)

Method

1 Combine apple pieces with water and mint in a large pan. Bring water to a boil then reduce heat and cook 20 minutes, until apples are soft.

2 Add vinegar, return to boil. Simmer covered, 5 more minutes.

3 Use a potato masher to mash up the apple pieces to the consistency of thin apple sauce.

4 Spoon the apple pulp into a muslin cloth (or a couple layers of cheesecloth) or a large, fine mesh sieve, suspended over a large bowl. Leave to strain for several hours. Do not squeeze. Note that if your mash is too thick, you can add 1/2 a cup to a cup more of water to it. You should have 4 to 5 cups of resulting juice.

5 Measure the juice, then pour into a large pot. Add the sugar (7/8 a cup for each cup of juice). Heat gently, stirring to make sure the sugar gets dissolved and doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan and burn.

6 Bring to a boil. Cook for 10-15 minutes, using a metal spoon to skim off the surface scum. Continue to boil until a candy thermometer
shows that the temperature has reached 8-10°F above the boiling point at your altitude (boiling point is 212°F at sea level, so at sea level the temperature should read 220-222°F). Additional time needed for cooking can be anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour or longer, depending on the amount of water, sugar, and apple pectin in the mix.

Candy thermometers aren't always the most reliable indicators of whether or not a jelly is done. Another way to test is put a half teaspoonful of the jelly on a chilled (in the freezer) plate. Allow the jelly to cool a few seconds, then push it with your fingertip. If it wrinkles up, it's ready.

7 Pour into sterilized* canning jars to within 1/4" from the top and seal.

Makes approximately 4 8-ounce jars.

*There are several ways to sterilize jars for canning. You can run the jars through a short cycle in a dishwasher. You can place the jars in a large pot (12 quart) of water on top of a steaming rack (so they don't touch the bottom of the pan), and bring the water to a boil for 10 minutes. Or you can rinse the jars, dry them, and place them, without lids, in a 200°F oven for 10 minutes.

Note: As in recipe is mentioned white vinegar, some basic information;

Distilled white vinegar, apple cider vinegar, malt vinegar, corn (Maize) sugar vinegar are considered Halal. Wine Vinegar and Balsamic vinegar are not considered Halal because of left over of wine in wine vinegar and high content sugar containing grape in Italy which in turn provide more alcohol is available to convert it to vinegar.

http://www.muslimconsumergroup.com/faq.html

sister herb
05-26-2013, 04:17 PM
Baked Shrimp in Tomato Feta Sauce Recipe

shrimp tomato feta 2?ea6e46 -

Ingredients
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 14.5-ounce cans of diced tomatoes
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
1 Tbsp minced fresh dill or 1 teaspoon dried dill
1 to 1 1/4 pounds medium sized raw shrimp, peeled and deveined (can leave tails on), thaw if frozen
Pinch of salt, more to taste
Pinch black pepper, more to taste
3 ounces feta cheese (about 2/3 cup, crumbled)

Method

1 Preheat oven to 425°F/200C. Heat oil in a large, oven-proof skillet on medium high heat. Add the onions and cook until softened, 3-5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds more.

2 Add the tomatoes and bring to a simmer, reduce heat and let simmer for 5-10 minutes, until the juices thicken a bit.

3 Remove from heat. Stir in the herbs, shrimp, feta cheese, and salt and pepper to taste. Place pan in oven and bake, uncovered, until shrimp are cooked through, about 10-12 minutes.

Serve immediately. Serve with crusty French or Italian loaf bread, pasta, or rice.

Yield: Serves 4.

sister herb
05-26-2013, 09:54 PM
Kitchen tips - How to make cooking easier to you - Number 1

Easy Tip for Getting Corn Off the Cob

corn cob bundt pan?ea6e46 -

Method

To remove corn kernels from the cob using a bundt pan, stand the shucked corn cob upright, with the tip of cob placed in the center hole of the bundt pan.

Holding the cob steady, use a sharp knife and make long downward strokes on the cob, separating the kernels from the cob.

Many bundt pans have a stick-free interior. If this is the case with yours, be careful not to scratch the interior of the pan with your knife. If the knife scratches around the edges of the bundt pan hole, that shouldn't be a problem, as when you use a bundt pan baking, this area doesn't usually come in contact with the cake batter. (Note from the comments, you can tuck a paper towel or dish towel into the hole to protect the pan.)

corn off the cob?ea6e46 -

------------------------------------

Kitchen Tip Number 2 - How to Brown Butter

Ingredients

Unsalted butter, sliced into tablespoon sized slices

Method

butternut squash butter 1?ea6e46 - butternut squash butter 2?ea6e46 -

1 Heat a thick-bottomed skillet on medium heat. Add the sliced butter (sliced so that the butter melts more evenly) whisking frequently. Continue to cook the butter.

butternut squash butter 3?ea6e46 - butternut squash butter 4?ea6e46 -

2 Once melted the butter will foam up a bit, then subside. Watch carefully as lightly browned specks begin to form at the bottom of the pan. Smell the butter; it should have a nutty aroma. Remove from heat and place on a cool surface to help stop the butter from cooking further and perhaps burning.

It's pretty easy to overcook browned butter and go from brown to burnt. If the butter starts to blacken, I suggest dumping it and starting over (something I've had to do on occasion), unless you want beurre noir which has a different taste than nutty brown butter.

If you want to make sage brown butter sauce, add some fresh sage leaves to the butter once it has melted. Allow the butter to brown and remove from heat.

Use browned butter immediately or store covered in the refrigerator for future use.

--------------------------------------

Kitchen Tip Number 3 - How to Caramelize Onions

caramelized onions?ea6e46 -

Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes

Quantities depend on how much caramelized onions you wish to make. In this example, 5 large raw onions yielded about 2 cups caramelized onions.

Ingredients
Several medium or large onions, yellow, white, or red
Olive oil
Butter (optional)
Salt
Sugar (optional)

Method

caramelized onions 1?ea6e46 - caramelized onions 2?ea6e46 -

1 Slice off the root and top ends of the onions, peel the onions. Cut the onions in half. Lay them cut side down and slice the onions lengthwise to desired thickness. If you want, you can cut a little wedge in the tough rootball end of the onions and discard that part, but we haven't found this to be necessary, as this part of the onion softens and cooks with the rest over the long cooking time.

caramelized onions 3?ea6e46 - caramelized onions 4?ea6e46 -

2 Use a wide, thick-bottomed sauté pan for maximum pan contact with the onions. Coat the bottom of the pan with olive oil, or a mixture of olive oil and butter (about 1 teaspoon per onion). Heat the pan on medium high heat until the oil is shimmering. Add the onion slices and stir to coat the onions with the oil. Spread the onions out evenly over the pan and let cook, stirring occasionally. Depending on how strong your stovetop burner is you may need to reduce the heat to medium or medium low to prevent the onions from burning or drying out. After 10 minutes, sprinkle some salt over the onions, and if you want, you can add some sugar to help with the caramelization process. (I add only about a teaspoon of sugar for 5 onions, you can add more.) One trick, by the way, to keeping the onions from drying out as they cook is to add a little water to the pan.

caramelized onions 5?ea6e46 - caramelized onions 6?ea6e46 -

3 Let cook for 30 minutes to an hour more, stirring every few minutes. As soon as the onions start sticking to the pan, let them stick a little and brown, but then stir them before they burn. The trick is to let them alone enough to brown (if you stir them too often, they won't brown), but not so long so that they burn. After the first 20 to 30 minutes you may want to lower the stove temperature a little, and add a little more oil, if you find the onions are verging on burning. A metal spatula will help you scrape up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan as the caramelization proceeds. As the onions cook down, you may find you need to scrape the pan every minute, instead of every few minutes. Continue to cook and scrape, cook and scrape, until the onions are a rich, browned color.

Store refrigerated for several days in an air-tight container.

-------------------------------------

Kitchen Tip Number 4 - How to Clean Leeks

Choose leeks that are about an inch thick, and have a long white to pale green shaft. The pale parts are the most useable.

Ingredients
Fresh leeks

Method

six leeks ready to clean?ea6e46 - dirt on leek?ea6e46 -

Before getting started with either method, rinse the leeks under water to remove visible dirt or sand.

Preparing leeks for soup

cleaning leeks 1?ea6e46 - cleaning leeks 2?ea6e46 -

1 Cut off the roots of the leeks. Slice the leeks lengthwise. Decide how much of the leek greens you want to use. They are tougher and can be stronger tasting, but soften with long cooking. The last couple of inches of the dark green ends should probably be discarded or saved for making stock. (I put mine in a plastic bag and drop it in the freezer.) Make crosswise cuts along the leek that you intend to use.

cleaning leeks 3?ea6e46 - cleaning leeks 4?ea6e46 -

2 Place the chopped leeks into a bowl and fill with cold water. (If the leeks are especially dirty, rinse them first in a colander, before covering with water.) Use your hands to agitate the leeks and dislodge any dirt or sand that may be clinging to them. Scoop the leeks out of the water with a sieve or slotted spoon and place in a new bowl.

Cleaning and Prepping Whole Leeks

cleaning leeks 5?ea6e46 - how to clean leeks 6?ea6e46 -

1 Place leek on a cutting board. Insert the tip of a sharp knife about a 1/4-inch below the lowest opening in the leek. Cut straight through, up to and through the green ends of the leek, leaving the pale part of the leek whole.

how to clean leeks 7?ea6e46 -

2 Fan open the leek and place under cold running water. Rinse out any dirt or sand. If the leek is especially dirty, you may want to make another similar cut through the leek to further be able to fan the leek open.

how to clean leeks 8?ea6e46 - how to clean leeks 9?ea6e46 -

3 Cut off the dark green tops of the leek, reserving on the body of the leek as much of the dark green as you want. We like the taste (it's basically just a big onion green), so we typically keep about 2 to 3 inches or so of the dark green part with the body of the leeks. Discard the dark greens or save them to flavor soups or stews, or use for making stock.

4 Cut of the root end of the leeks, staying as close to the roots as possible. Cutting close to the roots will help keep the leeks whole when cooking them whole.

--------------------------------------

(Tips will continue later. Hopely they are useful to the beginners.)

sister herb
05-27-2013, 09:53 AM
Kitchen Tip Number 5 - How to Cook and Eat an Artichoke

Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes

Method
1. If the artichokes have little thorns on the end of the leaves, take a kitchen scissors and cut of the thorned tips of all of the leaves. This step is mostly for aesthetics as the thorns soften with cooking and pose no threat to the person eating the artichoke.

artichoke 1?ea6e46 - artichoke 2?ea6e46 -

2. Slice about 3/4 inch to an inch off the tip of the artichoke.

3. Pull off any smaller leaves towards the base and on the stem.

4. Cut excess stem, leaving up to an inch on the artichoke. The stems tend to be more bitter than the rest of the artichoke, but some people like to eat them. Alternatively you can cut off the stems and peel the outside layers which is more fibrous and bitter and cook the stems along with the artichokes.

5. Rinse the artichokes in running cold water.

artichoke 3?ea6e46 -

6. In a large pot, put a couple inches of water, a clove of garlic, a slice of lemon, and a bay leaf (this adds wonderful flavor to the artichokes). Insert a steaming basket. Add the artichokes. Cover. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer. Cook for 25 to 45 minutes or until the outer leaves can easily be pulled off. Note: artichokes can also be cooked in a pressure cooker (about 15-20 minutes cooking time). Cooking time depends on how large the artichoke is, the larger, the longer it takes to cook.

How to Eat an Artichoke

Artichokes may be eaten cold or hot, but I think they are much better hot. They are served with a dip, either melted butter or mayonaise.

1. Pull off outer petals, one at a time.

artichoke 5?ea6e46 - artichoke 4?ea6e46 -

2. Dip white fleshy end in melted butter or sauce. Tightly grip the other end of the petal. Place in mouth, dip side down, and pull through teeth to remove soft, pulpy, delicious portion of the petal. Discard remaining petal.

artichoke 10?ea6e46 - artichoke 11?ea6e46 -

Continue until all of the petals are removed.

artichoke 6?ea6e46 - artichoke 7?ea6e46 -

3. With a knife or spoon, scrape out and discard the inedible fuzzy part (called the "choke") covering the artichoke heart. The remaining bottom of the artichoke is the heart. Cut into pieces and dip into sauce to eat.

artichoke 8?ea6e46 - artichoke 9?ea6e46 -

sister herb
05-27-2013, 10:41 AM
Kitchen Tip Number 6 - How to Cut a Pineapple

Prep time: 10 minutes

First make sure your pineapple is ripe. The best way to tell is to smell the bottom of it. If it smells of pineapple, it's ripe. If it smells fermented, it's overripe. It should still be rather firm, with just a little give. If it is soft at all, it is too ripe. The pineapple may have some green on the sides, but shouldn't be completely green. At a minimum it should be turning golden at the bottom and around the eyes on the sides. Where it is golden it is sweetest and most ripe.

Ingredients
One ripe pineapple

Method

how to cut pineapple 1?ea6e46 - how to cut pineapple 2?ea6e46 -

1 Place the pineapple on its side on a cutting board. With a sharp chef's knife, slice off the top green crown and about a half inch of the top of the pineapple. Stand the pineapple upright on the cutting board.

how to cut pineapple 3?ea6e46 - how to cut pineapple 4?ea6e46 -

how to cut pineapple 5?ea6e46 - how to cut pineapple 6?ea6e46 -

2 Use a sharp knife to carefully cut away the the skin, from top to bottom, following the contours of the pineapple. Do not cut so deep as to cut away the eyes. The outer edge of the pineapple has the sweetest flesh, so you want to retain that if you can. Cut off the bottom half inch or so of the pineapple.

how to cut pineapple 7?ea6e46 - how to cut pineapple 8?ea6e46 -

how to cut pineapple 9?ea6e46 - how to cut pineapple 10?ea6e46 -

3 Now you have a pineapple dotted with eyes which must be removed. You can use a small paring knife to carefully carve out each one, but there is an easier way. Notice that the eyes all line up on a diagonal. You can make a diagonal cut across the side of the pineapple, like a V-shaped trench, and more easily cut out all of the eyes that are on that diagonal. Just continue to work your way around the pineapple. You do waste a little bit of good pineapple this way, but not much, and it is a lot faster than trying to carefully cut out each eye.

how to cut pineapple 11?ea6e46 - how to cut pineapple 12?ea6e46 -

4 Now the pineapple is ready to cut further. There are several ways to make the final cuts of the pineapple, depending how you are serving it. If you want rounds, just lay the pineapple on its side and cut it into 3/4 inch rounds. For rings, cut out the tough core. When we were kids we preferred to keep the core in. We liked to spear the core in a solid pineapple round with our fork, and then hold up the pineapple round to eat the ripe edges.

how to cut pineapple 13?ea6e46 - how to cut pineapple 14?ea6e46 - how to cut pineapple 15a?ea6e46 -

If you just want chunks, cut the pineapple lengthwise into quarters. Cut out the tough core, then cut each quarter lengthwise again. Then cut crosswise into chunks.

Yield: One pineapple yields about 4 cups of cut pineapple chunks.

جوري
05-28-2013, 04:03 PM
I am about to make that Tiramisu recipe :ia: just fair warning that I looked it up and this recipe serves 7 and is about 717 calories per serving so just heads up on how fattening that is lol basically you'll have breakfast and desert for one day :D

sister herb
05-28-2013, 07:37 PM
^^ Hopely it will be tasty. But seems that recipe needs warning: not for everyday use. ;D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kibbeh

Ingredients

Shell:
1 1/2 cups fine bulgur wheat
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 1/2 cups roughly chopped yellow onions
3 teaspoons ground cumin
2 1/4 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper

Filling:
1/2 pound ground beef
3/4 cups finely chopped yellow onions
1/3 cup pine nuts lightly toasted
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
oil for frying

Directions:

To make the outer shells, place the bulgur wheat in a bowl and cover with water. Let sit for 20 minutes then drain in a strainer, pressing to extract the excess liquid.

In a large bowl, blend the beef, onions, cumin, salt, and pepper to a paste. Add the strained bulgur wheat and mix well. Process again, in batches, in a food processor until smooth and pliable enough to work like a dough, adding a little ice water if needed.

To make the stuffing, in a large skillet, cook the meat, stirring, over medium-high heat until browned, about 4 minutes. Add the onions, salt, allspice, pepper, and cinnamon, and cook, stirring, until tender, about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the pine nuts. Let sit until cool enough to handle.

To make the final dish, with wet hands, shape the raw meat-bulgur mixture into egg-sized balls. Make a hole down the center of each ball with an index finger to make a deep cup with a pointed bottom. Stuff each ball with about 1 tablespoon of the stuffing. Press down on the sides and top to enclose the filling and reshape into a smooth egg with a pointed top. Repeat with the remaining ingredients, wetting your hands frequently.

Preheat the oil to 360F/175C degrees.

In batches, add the kibbeh balls to the hot oil and cook until golden brown and the meat is cooked through, about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Serve hot or at room temperature, with the Yogurt-Garlic Sauce for dipping.

Note: You can also bake kibbeh in the oven. 392F/200C degrees, about 15 - 20 minutes.

Hulk
05-28-2013, 07:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by العنود
I am about to make that Tiramisu recipe just fair warning that I looked it up and this recipe serves 7 and is about 717 calories per serving so just heads up on how fattening that is lol basically you'll have breakfast and desert for one day
I await your production phase pix!

sister herb
05-28-2013, 07:50 PM
Halal Pina Colada

1/2 can of Cream of Coconut
large can of pineapple chunks, reserve the juice
half cup of ice cubes
extra fruit for garnish

1. Add everything to a blender and blend until smooth. Taste; add more cream of coconut to make sweeter, more pineapple juice to make more. Garnish with extra fruit.

جوري
05-28-2013, 08:55 PM
I await your production phase pix!
It is chilling nicely in the fridge.. wanted to take a pic looks pretty can't account for the taste yet :D but I got busy to making Mussels with penna fra diavalo as they call it and didn't have a chance to snap a pic
it is so easy to make I also didn't use instant coffee but the expensive stuff that I like and use French press for, I didn't use lady's fingers or regular biscuits but graham crackers on the account we've tons of them ...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!