/* */

PDA

View Full Version : IB Kitchen Club

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

sister herb
05-26-2011, 07:01 PM
Please post here easy, simple and if possible, fast to make recipes. Add also picture of foods if you can. Let me start with few my own.

---------------------------------------

Pasta salad by pictures, step by step

As one picture tells more than 1000 words...

1: put to bowl some green lettuce, add a little olive oil, pinch of salt and pepper and mix. Put slices of tomato to bowl as picture.

2: add cooked pasta on lettuce.

3: add grated carrots and mushrooms (you can cook them few minutes in oil if you like and spice as you like).

4: add sliced cucumber and corn.

5: put on salad 2 boiled eggs, each cutted to 4 parts, add some salt and pepper (or other spices&herbs you prefer).

As you can see, salad is very simple but looks nicer when different incredients are layered by they own. And of course, using different vegetables you will get again new kind of salad.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
sister herb
05-26-2011, 07:04 PM
Chocolate Balls

1/2 cup sugar
6 tablespoons (~100 g) butter
1 1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla sugar (if you don't have it, use regular sugar and add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract)
1 tablespoon cold coffee
3/4 to 1 cup rolled or quick-cooking oats

Some unsweetened coconut flakes
Some pearl sugar

Mix all ingredients, except the oats, together in a mixing bowl either by hand or with a wooden spoon. Add just enough oats to the mixture to allow you to form it into balls. Form the paste into 1.5-inch balls and roll them in either the coconut flakes or pearl sugar. Store the balls in a lidded container in the freezer. They're best eaten slightly thawed but still very cold.

* you can also dip balls in melted chocolate and decorate them:

Beardo
05-26-2011, 07:10 PM
I baked a cake today:
Post-Icing:

Pre-Icing:

sister herb
05-26-2011, 07:11 PM
Finnish Trifle

4 portions

200 gram cookie crumbs or dry cake crumbs
1 cup light juice (apple)
2 cups strawberry, raspberry or apple jam
2 cups whipped cream
1 tsp sugar

Whip the cream together with the sugar until light. Moisten the cookie or cake crumbs with juice.

Place the ingredients in layers (crumbs, jam and whipped cream) into dessert dishes or a bowl. Cover the dessert dishes or bowl with plastic wrap and place into the fridge for preferably 2 – 3 hours before serving.

Serve the Finnish Trifle cold. The Finnish name ”Pappilan hatavara”, means ”The hasty dessert of the Vicarage”; A dessert which was served to "unexpected visitors".

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Beardo
05-26-2011, 07:13 PM
You guys make my cake look like blob of poop. :|

sister herb
05-26-2011, 07:18 PM
Date biscuits

I usually make these during Ramadan.

20 biscuits

300 g dates
300 g walnuts
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 lemon peel (grated)
powder sugar

Cut dates and walnuts very little pieces. Add salt and grated lemon peel. Push it to pan as thin plate. Keep in refrigenator to next day. Cut to pieces (20). Sprinkle by powder sugar.

sister herb
05-26-2011, 07:22 PM
One more...

Lemonade with Fresh Mint, homemade

Ingredients:

5 sprigs fresh mint
3 cups fresh lemon juice
2 cups sugar
2 cups water
7 ice cubes

Mix all the ingredients together in a jug and serve.
Tip decorate the cup with some lemon slice around the edge.

sister herb
05-26-2011, 07:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Beardo
You guys make my cake look like blob of poop. :|
Where is recipe of your cake? :hiding:

Flame of Hope
05-26-2011, 07:27 PM
:sl:

Can I have some of those to go? I want the pasta salad, the date biscuits and the lemonade.

Thank you so much for your generosity and for the home-delivery. :thankyou:

Far7an
05-26-2011, 07:35 PM
These look awesome. I'll try make them and if I fail I'll do the sensible thing and just let my wife do it.

Alpha Dude
05-26-2011, 07:45 PM

What's this?

Riana17
05-26-2011, 07:52 PM
oh thanks for taking initiative i will definitely come back to post mine and i am looking forward to cook food with less ingredients and cooking time

ALSO I HOPE EVERYONE CAN POST RECIPES OF THEIR FAVORITE FOOD HERE

SALAM all

sister herb
05-26-2011, 07:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Lowlife

What's this?
Read step 3: add grated carrots and mushrooms (you can cook them few minutes in oil if you like and spice as you like).

sister herb
05-26-2011, 07:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Flame

Can I have some of those to go? I want the pasta salad, the date biscuits and the lemonade.

Thank you so much for your generosity and for the home-delivery. :thankyou:
Hmmm... did I create some restaurant here? ^o)

Your food is coming...

Mr.President
05-26-2011, 08:04 PM
good idea ! and also add some beginner recipes there are many beginners out there

sister herb
05-26-2011, 08:04 PM
This too is easy one:

Finnish Apple Pie

150 g butter
3 dl wheat flour
½ dl milk

4-5 apples

½ dl sugar
1 egg
2 dl milk
1 - 2 teaspoon cinnamon

Heat oven +225 celcius degrees.

Mix butter and wheat flour, add milk, stir together.

Push dough onto a pie pan. Peel and core the apples, then slice them, cover the pan with the apples sciles (like in the picture).

Mix sugar, cinnamon, egg and milk, pour over the apples.

Bake in the oven for about 20 - 30 minutes.

Try with vanilla sauce or ice cream.

Alpha Dude
05-26-2011, 08:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister harb
Read step 3: add grated carrots and mushrooms (you can cook them few minutes in oil if you like and spice as you like).
Oh wow. I thought each pic was a seperate dish lol.

Who Am I?
05-26-2011, 08:15 PM
Food, food, food!

(adding in case there is a character limit)

S.Belle
05-26-2011, 08:55 PM
I baked a cake today:
Post-Icing:

Pre-Icing:

it looks very beautiful mashallah

Chessy Baked Manicotti

Ingredients
16 oz. ricotta cheese
8 oz. mozzarella cheese
4 oz. Parmesan cheese
One egg
1/4 cup bread crumbs
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
16 oz. tomato sauce

Directions

1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.

2) Cook manicotti according to package instructions. Be sure to cook in salted water. Drain in colander.

3) Mix cheeses, egg, garlic and bread crumbs in a bowl.

4) Stuff cheese mixture into cooked and drained pasta. Use a small spoon to help mixture into center of manicotti.

5) Coat bottom of a baking dish with half of the tomato sauce.

6) Place filled pasta in baking dish. Cover pasta with remaining sauce and top with extra Parmesan cheese.

7 )Bake for 10 minutes.

This was my first attempt at making this so it may not look that pleasant.....forgot to wipe the plate down as well *face palm*

S.Belle
05-26-2011, 09:21 PM
Healthy Pizza
Extremely Simple and Yummy!!

Preheat oven to 450 degrees
I took a flour tortilla and thinly sliced a tomato (sometimes it requires 2) and layed them on the tortilla in a circular fashion.
Then sprinkle mozarella cheese and a pinch of oregeno and basil on top .
For topping just add anything that you like
I added chopped spinach, olives, grilled chicken ,minced onions and mushroom.

Then place it in the oven and let cook until the tortilla gets a nice golden brown color around its edges.
and viola you have a yummy pizza :D

S.Belle
05-26-2011, 09:54 PM
Homemade Poptarts

step by step pics here
http://www.browneyedbaker.com/2010/0...ade-pop-tarts/

For the pastry crust:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks, or 8 ounces) unsalted butter, cold and cubed
1 egg
2 tablespoons milk

For the cinnamon sugar filling:
½ cup light brown sugar
1½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 teaspoons all-purpose flour

For the strawberry filling:
¾ cup strawberry jam (or whatever flavor you’d like)
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon water
1 egg, lightly beaten (to brush on pastry)
1. Prepare the cinnamon sugar filling by whisking the ingredients together.
2. If using the strawberry filling, prepare by whisking together the cornstarch and water, and then combine with the jam in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat and let cool.
3. To make the crust, whisk together the flour, sugar, and salt. Using your fingers or a pastry blender, work in the butter until it is the size of peas and the mixture holds together when you squeeze it. Whisk together the egg and milk and add to the dough. Mix together with a fork until everything is evenly moistened. Knead briefly on a floured surface, if necessary, until the dough comes together.
4. Divide the dough in half. (At this point you can wrap each in plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 2 days.) If you refrigerate the dough, let it come to room temperature for about 15 minutes before rolling out. Roll out one piece of dough to about 1/8-inch thick, in a 9½ by 12½ rectangle. Using a sharp knife, pastry wheel or bench scraper, trim the rectangle to 9×12 inches. Cut the sheet of dough into nine 3×4 rectangles. Using a spatula, transfer the rectangles to a baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Brush the lightly beaten egg on each of the rectangles. Spoon a tablespoon of filling into the center of each rectangle, leaving a ½-inch of space around the edges.
5. Roll out and cut the second piece of dough in the exact same manner as you did the first. One at a time, place a second rectangle of dough on top of the nine assembled ones. Using your fingers, press around the seams of the dough to make sure they are sealed. Press the tines of a fork around the edges of the rectangles. Prick the tops of the rectangles in multiple spots to allow steam to escape.
6. Refrigerate the pan with the pastries (you don’t need to cover them) for about 30 minutes. In the meantime, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool slightly before serving. Store pastries in an airtight container at room temperature for up to one week.

sister herb
05-27-2011, 12:19 PM
Finnish Strawberry Snow

500 g strawberries
2 large egg whites, at room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup whipping cream
1/4- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla (or to taste)
6-8 strawberries, sliced, for garnish
1 to taste mint leaves (to garnish)

Puree strawberries. Combine strawberry puree, egg whites and sugar in a bowl and beat until stiff and glossy.

Add vanilla to cream, and whip mixture until peaks form. Gently fold cream mixture into strawberry mixture. Spoon into a serving bowl and garnish with strawberry slices and mint (if desired).

Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until you are ready to serve. This can be made a day ahead.

sister herb
05-27-2011, 12:32 PM
Baked apples

small, tart apples
sugar
soft brown sugar
cinnamon
butter

If the apples are not organically grown, peel them.

Remove the cores of the whole apples with a knife or an apple corer, but be careful not to pierce the base. Place the apples snugly in a buttered oven casserole.

Mix equal amounts of white and brown sugar, add some cinnamon and fill the apple cavities with the mixture. Seal with a pat of butter. Shave lots of butter over the apples and sprinkle the top generously with white sugar and cinnamon.

Bake the apples first at 200 °C for 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to 175 °C and bake for about 30 minutes or until the apples are thoroughly soft. Test doneness by inserting a knife in one of the apples — it should sink in easily.

Serve the apples hot with cold vanilla sauce or vanilla ice cream. Drizzle the sugary syrup formed in the casserole on the apples.

Linkaspx?id1078690 -

sister herb
05-27-2011, 12:36 PM
Finnish Macaroni Bake

This is traditional Finnish home food. Kids love this with ketchup.

500 ml macaroni, dried
500 g ground meat
1 onion, chopped
400 ml milk
2 eggs
black pepper
salt

Preheat the oven to 200°C.
Fry onion and ground beef until onion is soft and the beef is brown.
Boil the macaroni al dente (it will still cook in the oven).
Mix the pasta, beef and onion, season with salt and pepper and put in a shallow oven dish.
Mix the milk and eggs together, pour on the pasta mixture. It should just cover everything.
Bake in the oven for about an hour.

al yunan
05-27-2011, 01:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by S.Belle
16 oz. ricotta cheese 8 oz. mozzarella cheese 4 oz. Parmesan cheese
Assalamu Alaikum sister,

Are all those cheeses available Halal in the U.S ?
You are all fornunate as in other places they are hard to find even Kosher (ultra Orthodox)
The hardest of all being parmesan.

Masalam

sister herb
05-27-2011, 06:35 PM
This one I got from my Irish friend:

Irish Lamb Soup

Ingredients
1 pound lamb stew meat (beef can be used)
3 pounds potatoes
1/2 pound parsnips (carrots can be used)
2 or 3 onions
Oil for sauteeing
1 tablespoon brown sugar
480ml liquid stock
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
5 bay leaves
1 teaspoon basil

Preparation method
1. Brown onions and meat in oil.

2. Slice parsnips (or carrots) saute them and add little bit of brown sugar to glaze.

3. Slice potatoes and put in large pot along with meat and onions.

4. Add liquid stock, salt, pepper, bay leaves, and basil.

5. Add parsnips (or carrots)

6. Cook for 1 1/2 hours

7. Serve with bread.

Aprender
05-27-2011, 06:37 PM
:) I am loving this Kitchen Club.

sister herb
05-27-2011, 06:38 PM
This my mom always asks me to make:

Oat cookies

100 g butter
1 dl sugar
2 dl oat flakes
1 tablespoon wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 egg

Melt butter, add others, sugar first. Put to oven pan 12 pieces of paste (wides at oven).

Bake +200 C degrees 8 - 10 minutes.

Eat with tea or coffee.

sister herb
05-27-2011, 06:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aprender
:) I am loving this Kitchen Club.
Waiting your recipes dear.

sister herb
05-27-2011, 09:11 PM
Baba ghaloush/Eggplant Dip

Eggplants - roasted
Lemon juice
Tahina
Garlic
Salt
Olive oil
Parsley (optional)

Making quite same than hummus bi tahini. Mix all together. I didn´t put how much each one needs as it depends what taste good for you.

Bread for dipping

-------------------------

As everybody might not know how to make mentioned hummus bi-tahini:

Hummus bi Tahina
(Chickpea and Sesame Dip)

125 g (4 oz) chickpeas, soaked for a few hours
juice of 2 lemons
3 Tbs. tahina
2 garlic cloves, crushed
salt

GARNISH

1 Tbs. olive oil
1 tsp. paprika
a few sprigs of parsley, finely chopped

Drain the chickpeas and simmer in fresh water for about an hour or until tender. Reserve the cooking water.

Process the chickpeas in a blender (or food processor) with the lemon juice, tahina, garlic, salt and enough of the cooking liquid to obtain a soft creamy consistency.

Serve on a flat plate, garnished with a dribble of olive oil, a dusting of paprika (this is usually done in the shape of a cross) and a little parsley.

Serve with warm pita bread for dipping.

S.Belle
05-27-2011, 09:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by al yunan
Assalamu Alaikum sister,
format_quote Originally Posted by al yunan

Are all those cheeses available Halal in the U.S ?
You are all fornunate as in other places they are hard to find even Kosher (ultra Orthodox)
The hardest of all being parmesan.

Masalam
Walaykum Salam
......i didnt know there was such a thing as halal cheese...but im sure there are places where one could find them
thnks for asking this question btw
May Allah bless you

Beardo
05-27-2011, 10:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Far7an
These look awesome. I'll try make them and if I fail I'll do the sensible thing and just let my wife do it.
If I were married, I'd challenge my wife to make the best dish on this thread. And I'd encourage her to keep trying. :statisfie Won't I make the most amazing husband EVARRR?

And the recipe for my cake on the first page of this thread:
Cake Mix (DON'T JUDGE ME!)
3 Eggs
1 1/3 Cups of Milk (the box says water, but milk makes it better according to my Mommy)
1/2 cup of veg oil

Put it at 350 degrees (I used a bundt) for roundabout 50 minutes! And WALAH! (Not Wallah... I said Walah! lol)

Who Am I?
05-27-2011, 10:56 PM
Recipe overload! Can't keep up...

I believe the word you are looking for is VOILA, Beardo. :p

sister herb
05-28-2011, 07:03 AM
Basic Sponge Cake - Easy-to-remember-recipe

This light, ethereal cake is made by mixing together the same volume of eggs, sugar and flour, as has been done by generations of Finnish home bakers.

However, do not be fooled by the simplicity of this recipe, as it may take a lot of practice and strict precision to get the best result.

Since eggs are the only leavening agent in this batter, they must be of top quality, absolutely fresh and extremely well beaten with the sugar to produce a soft, successfully risen cake. If you are not an experienced cake baker, it might be best to add a pinch of baking powder to the flour, just to be on the safe side :-)

Slightly altered by adding butter, spices, nuts, etc, this basic sponge cake recipe can be used for making numerous different cakes, pastries and desserts.

3 eggs
sugar
flour
1 tbsp baking power

flavouring suggestions:
1. 1 - 2 tsp vanilla sugar
2. ½ - 1 tsp (or to taste) cinnamon, finely crushed cardamom, powdered ginger or gingerbread spice
3. 1 - 2 tsp grated lemon or orange zest
4. lemon or almond essence (for quantity, follow the instructions on the product's package)
5. replace 50 ml of the flour with 50 grams of finely ground almonds
6. replace 50 ml of the flour with 3 tbsp of cocoa powder
7. replace part of the sugar with soft brown sugar

When making a sponge cake, always measure the sugar and flour in a right proportion to the volume of eggs. To do this, you will need two or three identical, clear, regular glasses. Start by breaking the eggs into one of the glasses. In the second glass, pour sugar until it reaches the same level as the level of eggs in the first glass.

Eggs, sugar and flour

Take the third glass and pour flour in, until it reaches the same level as the sugar and the eggs in the other glasses (see the picture above). It is very important to pour the flour lightly and loosely into the glass and not pack or press it in firmly.

(You can also do this with two glasses only, if you first pour out the measured sugar from the second glass into a mixing bowl, and then use the same glass again to measure the flour, matching it with the level of eggs in the first glass.) Whether you are making a one, two, three or a hundred-egg-cake, always use this same, simple measurement technique to get the best result.

After measuring, mix the sugar and eggs (and vanilla sugar) in the mixing bowl and beat them thoroughly, until they form a very thick and fluffy, white mixture. They need to be extremely well beaten, therefore I would strictly recommend using an electric mixer. You must be able to "write" on the batter surface with the batter dripping from the lifted whisk and the figure should remain visible for some time, before sinking down into the batter.

Very gently fold in the sifted flour with a spatula or a wire whisk, to avoid knocking out the air. Never beat the batter or use an electric mixer to incorporate the flour.

Pour the batter into a generously buttered and lightly floured cake pan — a ring/tube pan, springform pan, loaf pan, jelly roll pan — depending on the kind of cake you are making. Finnish sponge cake is traditionally baked in a ring pan for about 20 - 30 minutes. If the cake is intended to be cut in layers and filled, use an even-bottomed, tubeless cake pan. If baking the batter in a jelly roll pan, you can line the pan with a sheet of parchment paper instead of buttering and flouring it.

Bake the batter at 175 °C on the bottom rack of the oven for 15 - 40 minutes, depending on the amount and/or thickness of the batter and the size and shape of the cake pan used. Further reduce the baking time if using a jelly roll pan, as the batter is spread into a thin layer. Do not open the oven door until towards the end of the baking time, as this will cause the partly-risen cake to collapse.

The cake is done when it feels springy and firm when tapped on top or when a cake tester/toothpick inserted in it comes out clean. Let the cake cool slightly before unmoulding it. Place the cake on a wire rack and let cool completely.

Serve the cake plain, or sifted with icing sugar or frosted with icing. When baked flat in a jelly roll pan, the cake can be used as a base for simple fruit or berry tarts, like wild strawberry and bilberry tart, or cut into thin rounds or squares to make various filled pastries (like fresh strawberry or raspberry pastries with layers of whipped cream or fruit-flavoured butter cream), or, like ladyfingers, to line dessert moulds, to make tiramisu, etc.

You can serve your cake for example with fruits

or melted chocolate

or whipped cream

or what ever you like.

Riana17
05-28-2011, 07:15 AM
Finnish Macaroni Bake

This is traditional Finnish home food. Kids love this with ketchup.

500 ml macaroni, dried
500 g ground meat
1 onion, chopped
400 ml milk
2 eggs
black pepper
salt

Preheat the oven to 200°C.
Fry onion and ground beef until onion is soft and the beef is brown.
Boil the macaroni al dente (it will still cook in the oven).
Mix the pasta, beef and onion, season with salt and pepper and put in a shallow oven dish.
Mix the milk and eggs together, pour on the pasta mixture. It should just cover everything.
Bake in the oven for about an hour.

salam sister
it looks very yummy
ill try to cook for my husband inshallah
i wanna know what kind of milk i have to use pls

salam

sister herb
05-28-2011, 07:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Riana17
salam sister
it looks very yummy
ill try to cook for my husband inshallah
i wanna know what kind of milk i have to use pls

salam
Cow milk? Not sure if I understood your question about milk right way...

Riana17
05-28-2011, 07:25 AM

If I were married, I'd challenge my wife to make the best dish on this thread. And I'd encourage her to keep trying. :statisfie Won't I make the most amazing husband EVARRR?

And the recipe for my cake on the first page of this thread:
Cake Mix (DON'T JUDGE ME!)
3 Eggs
1 1/3 Cups of Milk (the box says water, but milk makes it better according to my Mommy)
1/2 cup of veg oil

Put it at 350 degrees (I used a bundt) for roundabout 50 minutes! And WALAH! (Not Wallah... I said Walah! lol)

:haha:

i love that, why my husband is not challenging me? did he just gave up on me ? LOOL

Riana17
05-28-2011, 08:12 AM
Salam to all
well i am not good, SO PLS dont expect much, as u can see I am looking for tasty but easiest recipe.
We had it from one of the hotel and tried at home: so good

2 Orange fruit (Sweet)
Honey or sugar
water
Fresh basil sprigs, mint or the like

Boil the fresh orange juice, add sugar and little water
top with fresh basil sprigs or herb of your choice

Enjoy your tea LOL

Riana17
05-28-2011, 08:19 AM
Cow milk? Not sure if I understood your question about milk right way...
sorry for confusion, i meant skim or full cream etc

sister herb
05-28-2011, 08:40 AM
Ok, skimmed milk is better.

sister herb
05-28-2011, 09:30 AM
Easy salad:

Bean salad

1 can brown beans
1 tomato
1 tablespoon cumin
1 lemon
three garlic gloves
some chives
olive oil

Drain beans at least three time, never cook it in the can. Drain water and add lemon juice and crushed garlic. Mix and add cumin and mix. Finally put beans on a plate and add chopped tomatoes and chives with some olive oil.

Insaanah
05-29-2011, 10:45 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by S.Belle
......i didnt know there was such a thing as halal cheese...but im sure there are places where one could find them
Make sure that any cheese that you buy says "Suitable for vegetarians", or has a halal certified stamp from a recognised body, or equivalent, on the product label. If it doesn't have any of those, it may not be halal, and should be avoided. Commercially, the milk used for cheese tends to be split into curds (the cheese) and whey (the left over liquid) using rennet, an enzyme from calves stomachs, and these calves are most often not halal slaughtered. Nowadays though, quite a few companies are using other non-animal methods of splitting the milk, and they label their cheese as "suitable for vegetarians."

Just always make sure to read the label before you buy.

Nice thread by the way.

elina
05-29-2011, 11:22 AM
Sorry no pics but these are really easy to make

mince and chickpea

put a little oil and salt in a pan, heat and add chopped chillis, a chopped onion and 250 gr mince..... fry for a few minutes until onions soften and mince browns
add 2 tins chickpeas, a couple of cups of water and a couple of chopped tomatoes.
simmer for 25 minutes or so and serve with rice, salad and bread

potato and pepper dish

Heat a little oil and salt in a biggish pan
Add sliced onion, chopped peppers (any colour or combination) chopped tomatoes and chunks of potato. Fry gently stirring continually for about 5 minutes
Add 3 tbsp of washed rice and 2 cups of warm water. Half cover the pan and cook for about 25 minutes. This is really tasty and you can add any extra vegetables you like..... Ive tried all sorts of combinations and they all taste good.... adding leek and carrot is a really nice one :)

Haya emaan
05-29-2011, 03:24 PM
I baked a cake today:
Post-Icing:

Pre-Icing:

i m banned to bake cakes at home...:cry:imsad

thats because i have spoiled a lot of stuff trying to do so and failed every time :hiding::heated:

sister herb
05-29-2011, 03:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by muslima haya

i m banned to bake cakes at home...:cry:imsad

thats because i have spoiled a lot of stuff trying to do so and failed every time :hiding::heated:

You need to try something easy and just a little amounts (then you don´t at least spoil very much at one time).

Cup cakes?

sister herb
05-29-2011, 05:14 PM
Easy Cup Cakes

Ingredients
100g butter at room temperature
100g sugar
100g flour
2 tsp baking powder
Quarter tsp salt
2 eggs (medium)
1 tsp vanilla extract

Method
Preheat the oven to 180C. Line a muffin tin with paper cases.
Put the butter and sugar in a bowl; and beat until pale and fluffy
Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into the bowl.
Beat the eggs and vanilla and add to the bowl. Beat until just combined.
Spoon the mixture into the paper cases.
Bake for 18 to 20 minutes until risen, golden and firm to the touch.
Cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Decorate as you like.

Who Am I?
05-29-2011, 08:45 PM
I really need to try one of these recipes...

Haya emaan
05-30-2011, 07:13 PM
Easy Cup Cakes

Ingredients
100g butter at room temperature
100g sugar
100g flour
2 tsp baking powder
Quarter tsp salt
2 eggs (medium)
1 tsp vanilla extract

Method
Preheat the oven to 180C. Line a muffin tin with paper cases.
Put the butter and sugar in a bowl; and beat until pale and fluffy
Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into the bowl.
Beat the eggs and vanilla and add to the bowl. Beat until just combined.
Spoon the mixture into the paper cases.
Bake for 18 to 20 minutes until risen, golden and firm to the touch.
Cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Decorate as you like.

aww.. thanks for that.. u r right i should start from something smaller...:p
inshaAllah i will try this as soon as i get time..
JAZAKALLAH sister

S.Belle
05-30-2011, 10:35 PM
Extremely easy and quick to make
This makes a delicious brownie for one in about a minute.
60 seconds makes a molten center brownie. 75 seconds make a uniformly done brownie. Careful not to overcook.

• 2 Tbs vegetable oil
  • 2 Tbs water
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
  • dash salt
  • 4 Tbs granulated sugar
  • 2 Tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 4 Tbs all purpose flour
  1. In a 12 oz coffee mug, add water, oil and vanilla. Whisk well.
  2. Add cocoa powder, whisk well. Add sugar, whisk well. Add flour, whisk well.
  3. Microwave for 60 to 90 seconds. Center should be slightly molten. Careful not to overcook.
  4. Enjoy with a spoon. Careful brownie will be hot.
Tips:

You can top it with whatever you like whipped cream with fresh strawberries and choc. syrup is really great with this.
Its really yummy if you add a pinch of instant coffe to the recipe as well.
If you dont have vanilla flavoring add mint or orange flavoring instead.
Sorry for not posting a pic will do so next time I make it.

Cabdullahi
05-30-2011, 11:53 PM
1 cup wholemeal flour

1 cup white flour

abit of water

abit of salt

abit of oil

all mashed up

gives you nice bread

Riana17
05-31-2011, 08:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by thequietone
1 cup wholemeal flour

1 cup white flour

abit of water

abit of salt

abit of oil

all mashed up

gives you nice bread
okay this one is nice from u, joke is not so dry LOOL

peace

sister herb
06-01-2011, 04:59 AM
Poor knights/Rich knights

a slice of French bread or coffee bread per person
- 1 egg
- 3 dl milk
- pinch of salt
For frying:
- butter or margarine

On top:
- strawberry jam (and whipped cream)

1. Cut a thick slice of bread for each person
2. Whip the egg and mix in milk and a pinch of salt
3. Dip the slices in the milk and egg mixture
4. Fry until golden brown on both sides
5. Serve hot topped with a bit of jam. If you top it all off with whipped cream, your "poor knights" become "rich knights".

sister herb
06-01-2011, 05:04 AM
Finnish Pancakes

half litre milk
2 egs
3 cups of flour
3 spoons of sugar
1 small spoon of vanilli sugar
1 small spoon of salt

cook with frying pan

and eat with sugar and jam/fresh berries also with whipped cream

or

Ready for serving:

sister herb
06-01-2011, 05:08 AM
Finnish Egg Butter

A super easy spread delicious on heavier breads or your morning toast. Traditionally served with grilled fish.

Ingredients:
4 eggs, Hardboiled, Shelled, crumbled
2-3 tablespoons butter, softened
salt, to taste (optional)

Directions:
1. Gently mix the eggs and butter together until spreading consistency.
2. Add salt if desired.
3. Spread on bread or toast or serve with grilled fish.

sister herb
06-01-2011, 05:13 AM
Aunt Hanna’s biscuits

150 g melted butter or margarine
3 dl sugar
3 dl cornflour
4 dl plain flour
1 1/2 dl (sour) cream
1 tsp soda

Mix all ingredients together and leave until firm. Shape the dough into long rolls. Cut the rolls into pieces of equal size and form into small balls. Bake at 200 °C until golden.

Riana17
06-01-2011, 05:15 AM
I will send my feedback as soon as i try one,
sister hard YOU seems to be an amazing cook , family must be very pleased

sister herb
06-01-2011, 05:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Riana17
I will send my feedback as soon as i try one,
sister hard YOU seems to be an amazing cook , family must be very pleased
Or overweight.

Who Am I?
06-02-2011, 06:30 PM
I REALLY need to try some of these recipes, but I just can't find time to cook right now. Maybe this weekend, inshallah.

sister herb
06-02-2011, 07:27 PM
These I made yesterday:

Finnish Cabbage Rolls (Kaalikaaryleet)

A large cabbage
Water, Salt

Filling:
1/2 cups (1 dl) raw rice
Water, salt
300 g ground beef
The core of the cabbage
1 small onion, grated
1/4 cup (1/2 dl) dried breadcrumbs
1/4 cup (1/2 dl) water
1/4 cup (1/2 dl) cream
salt, black pepper

For frying:
Butter,
Margarine, or oil

On top:
2 Tbsp syrup
Water or bouillon

1. Cut out the core of the cabbage.

2. Cook the cabbage in salted water until done.

3. Remove the leaves and drain. Pare down the thick base of each leaf.

4. Cook the rice in salted water.

5. Let the breadcrumbs swell in the water and cream mixture.

6. Mix the ground beef, breadcrumbs, onion, seasonings, and rice. Dice the core of the cabbage. And add to the ground beef mixture. Season.

7. Spread cabbage leaves on a board. Put 1-2 tablespoons of filling on each leaf. Wrap into little packages.

Linkaspx?id1052817 -

8. Place the packages side by side in a greased baking dish. Top with a few dabs of butter and pour on syrup.

9. Bake at 425 degrees F (225 degrees C) until slightly brown. Turn and bake some more. Add water or bouillon.

Linkaspx?id1052816 -

10. Lower the temperature to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Baste and bake for 45-60 minutes.

11. Serve with lingonberry or cranberry jam or fresh puréed berries.

sister herb
06-02-2011, 07:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Just a Guy
I REALLY need to try some of these recipes, but I just can't find time to cook right now. Maybe this weekend, inshallah.
Bon apetit!

Ansariyah
06-13-2011, 02:51 PM
I made this last night....

I used: chicken, onion, green red peppers, garlic, coriander leaves.

with some salad (I didin't use lettuce)
I used, green pepper, red pepper, cucumber & tomatoes.

This is how it looked just before I ate it voila:

sister herb
06-13-2011, 03:04 PM
Thanks. Looks yummy.

Who Am I?
06-13-2011, 03:27 PM
Bah, I really need to stop checking this thread when I haven't eaten yet...

sister herb
06-16-2011, 02:59 PM
Collection of cake (and other recipes): http://jeenaskitchen.blogspot.com/20...e-recipes.html

:p

Who Am I?
06-16-2011, 03:05 PM
Must.. not... click.... link...

sister herb
06-16-2011, 03:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Just a Guy
Must.. not... click.... link...
Better eat first... then... click...

Starrynight
06-16-2011, 03:50 PM
Oh wow, I love this page! LOL
It's making me sooo hungry!

sister herb
06-16-2011, 05:43 PM
Finnish semolina porrigde

750 ml milk
75 ml wheat semolina (cream of wheat)
(1/2 tbs salt)

Bring the milk to the boil in a thick-bottomed saucepan. Stirring with a wire whisk, add the semolina in a thin stream. Cook for a couple of minutes, stirring continually, then lower the heat to minimum or turn it off completely. Cover the pan and simmer the porridge for 10 - 15 minutes. Stir every now and then to prevent the porridge from burning on the bottom or forming a skin on the surface. Semolina porridge burns on the bottom very easily.

Serve with sugar, jam or fresh berries.

Who Am I?
06-16-2011, 06:18 PM
Better eat first... then... click...

Well I was trying to fast, but bad idea. I had to break my fast.

I blame you, sister and all your delicious food recipes. ;D

Flame of Hope
06-16-2011, 06:34 PM
Flaminator aims gun at alien harb. You there! Get back to your space ship and outta here. And stop tempting me.... and I mean us poor IB Towners with these irresistible dishes and things.

IT IS NOT FAIR WHEN YOU CAN'T EVEN TAKE A BITE. I repeat. Not fair at all. :heated: :raging:

completely broken-hearted and depressed since alien harb started this thread. :skeleton:

sister herb
06-16-2011, 06:54 PM

Flame of Hope
06-16-2011, 07:46 PM

Awwww! You first torture people and then hide behind a flower to say sorry.

Okay. I can't bear the cuteness. Apology accepted. Now can I order all those dishes you posted?

You do home-delivery, right?

sister herb
06-16-2011, 08:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Flame

Awwww! You first torture people and then hide behind a flower to say sorry.

Okay. I can't bear the cuteness. Apology accepted. Now can I order all those dishes you posted?

You do home-delivery, right?
Thanks. All? Hmmm...

Ok I have vacation next two weeks. Why not spend all it in the kitchen... and home-delivery of course. To any corner of the world.

sister herb
06-29-2011, 09:21 AM
Peas in the pod/Apposet by Finnish

Fresh green peas cooked inside their pods is a typical Finnish summer treat.

The pods are eaten by dipping them in melted butter and sticking them in the mouth whole, pulling between the teeth, stripping off the peas and the green pulp.

fresh green field or garden peas in pods — 1 - 2 l per person
water
salt
(bunch of parsley)
melted or clarified butter

Melt some butter or prepare clarified butter. Set a small dish, like an egg cup, on every diner's plate. Just before serving the peas, fill the cups with the warm, melted butter.

Rinse the pea pods thoroughly under running water. Preferably use organically grown peas that have not been sprayed with insecticides. The pea variety used in this recipe should be the field pea (Pisum sativum arvense). Since field peas are nowadays hard to find in Finnish stores and market stalls, the sweeter garden peas (Pisum sativum sativum) are usually used instead of them.

Bring water to the boil in a large saucepan. Add the salt. Use one tablespoon of salt for every one litre of water. (Add the parsley, if using it.) Pour in the whole pods and lower the heat. Cover the pan and simmer for 15 to 30 minutes, or until the pods feel tender and are just about to open up. They must not become mushy. The cooking time varies depending on the pea variety used. Field peas may take even up to one hour to cook.

Drain the pods and pour into a warmed serving dish. Field peas may be sprinkled with a dash of sugar. Serve immediately with the melted butter. The pods are eaten whole: hold a pod by its stem, dip it in the cup of melted butter and stick it in your mouth. Pull it out between your teeth, stripping off the pulp and the peas.

sister herb
06-29-2011, 09:26 AM
Roasted root vegetables

carrots
rutabaga
parsnips
celery root
potatoes or sweet potatoes
1 - 2 small heads of garlic
yellow or red onions
honey or dark molasses
good, light-tasting olive oil
salt
white pepper
(few sprigs of rosemary and/or thyme)
The amount of vegetables used is up to you. A good balance of flavours is to use about the same amount of sweet-tasting vegetables (carrots, rutabaga and sweet potatoes), sharper, nutty-tasting vegetables (parsnips and celery root) and neutral-tasting vegetables (potatoes).

Peel the vegetables. It is easier to cut large vegetables like rutabaga and celery root first into smaller chunks and slices before peeling them. You can also just thoroughly scrub the potatoes, carrots and parsnips and leave them unpeeled. Detach the garlic cloves from the bulb. You do not need to peel them.

Cut the vegetables in relatively thick, chunky sticks. Place them in an oiled oven pan large enough to hold them in single layer. Drizzle or spray with oil and toss. Sprinkle with salt and white pepper. (Place a few herb sprigs on top, if you like.)

Drizzle honey or molasses generously on top of the vegetables. Note that when roasted in oven, root vegetables turn naturally sweet. Reduce the amount of honey or molasses if you do not like the result to be overly sweet.

Bake the vegetables at 200 - 225 °C for about 40 minutes or until they are tender inside and slightly crisped and browned on top. Turn and stir the vegetables once or twice during baking.

Serve the vegetables with various meat and game dishes, like roasts, grilled steaks, lamb chops etc.

You may also use other vegetables, like turnips, beetroots, yellow or white beets, leeks, kohlrabi or Jerusalem artichokes.

Alpha Dude
06-29-2011, 10:15 AM
Perfect place to ask...

i. If I made a big omelette with all sorts of ingredients and put it into the fridge, how long would it stay good?
ii. The same for pasta with chicken mixed into it?

sister herb
06-29-2011, 10:35 AM
Creamy potato gratin

Creamy potato gratins are popular in Finland. They can be served to accompany many meat and fish dishes and varied using different seasonings — garlic, onion, cheese, smoked fish etc.

potatoes — preferably waxy
cream
butter
pepper
salt

suggestions for seasonings:
1. garlic
2. onion or leek
3. cream-type cheese
4. blue cheese

Peel the potatoes and cut them into about ½ centimetre thick slices. You can soak or rinse the potatoes with cold water to remove some of their starch, especially if the potatoes you are using are more starchy than waxy. Let the potatoes drain.

Butter a shallow oven casserole dish. Place alternate layers of potato slices, pepper and the seasoning of your choice in the dish, starting and ending with a potato layer. Regardless of the seasoning used, you may add a layer of grated cheese on top of the dish.

If you are using garlic, press it through a garlic press. If you are using onions or leeks, slice them thinly. If you are using Havarti-type cheese, grate it, if blue cheese, crumble it. Salt is not necessary to add if you are using cheese.

Pour enough cream in the dish to almost reach, but not cover, the top potato layer. The dish should come out moist, but not soggy.

Dot the surface with knobs of butter and bake the dish at 175 °C for about 40 minutes, or until a knife can be easily inserted through the potato layers and the surface is nicely browned. Depending on the potato variety used, the baking time may vary greatly. Add some more cream during baking, if it seems that the dish is starting to dry out.

Serve the potatoes to accompany various meat and fish dishes.

sister herb
06-29-2011, 11:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
Perfect place to ask...

i. If I made a big omelette with all sorts of ingredients and put it into the fridge, how long would it stay good?
ii. The same for pasta with chicken mixed into it?
I was looking for you some information from official sources of my country:

1. omelette 1 - 2 days
2. pasta with chicken 3 - 4 days

SFatima
06-29-2011, 06:06 PM
yummmmm mouth wateringgg : (

SFatima
06-29-2011, 06:10 PM
I really need to know how to make a yummy darkish chocolate topping for chocolate cakes? the easiest way? which can make lots of it? anyone?

piXie
06-29-2011, 06:48 PM
I made mango milkshake.. sorry too late for pictures. :D

piXie
06-29-2011, 06:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SFatima
I really need to know how to make a yummy darkish chocolate topping for chocolate cakes? the easiest way? which can make lots of it? anyone?
Melt some dark chocolate and milk chocolate. Whisk it all together with thick double cream.

End result should look dark. If it doesnt, its because u added too much cream.

ermmm.. for an artistic marble effect, melt a little bit of white chocolate and swirl it in.

You can leave a little bit of hard chocolate to grate on top. :D

Who Am I?
06-29-2011, 07:32 PM
I love au gratin potatoes. Load those suckers down with cheese, pop it in the oven and let it melt.

Loaded potato soup is really good too. With loads of cheese, of course.

You can't go wrong with cheese.

sister herb
06-29-2011, 07:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by member X
I made mango milkshake.. sorry too late for pictures. :D
:hmm:

Could you send recipe of it?

piXie
06-29-2011, 07:59 PM

Could you send recipe of it?
lol sureee.

Ingredients:

One sweeeet ripe mango
Full cream Milk

Make sure they are both cold.

Method:

Peel the mango and put it in the milkshake machine. Add the milk and press START.

TIP: remove pip first :D

Pour in glass, and enjoy!

piXie
06-29-2011, 08:25 PM
How to make a yummmy pizza in 10 mins

Ingredients:

Bread or pitta bread or naan
Red Onion
Green chillies
Fresh Peppers (any colour)
Ketchup
Cheese
& most imp,
mums chicken karahi :D

Method:

Prepare the topping by dicing the onion, chillies and peppers.
Toast one side of the bread or pitta and turn it over
Put ketchup mixed with the green chillies on the untoasted side.
Throw on the onions and peppers. Steel some chicken from the karahi and shred it on too.
Topple it all with cheese and put it under the grill until its all melted and hot.

Sprinkle with ground black pepper or mint, and enjoy! :D

Haya emaan
06-30-2011, 11:19 AM

Ingredients:

One sweeeet ripe mango
Full cream Milk
you can add suger for that if it isnt very sweet :)

Make sure they are both cold.
if not add ice cubes:D

that's my moms recipe

sister herb
06-30-2011, 11:30 AM
Thanks for your mango milk shake recipe. I am soon going to shop... hopely they have mangos there.

sister herb
06-30-2011, 11:47 AM
Very simple oven-baked salmon

piece of salmon fillet — about 600 g
small bunch of fresh dill
lemon
salt
white pepper

Gently wipe the surface of the salmon fillet with clean kitchen towel. Remove any bones by pulling them out using fish tweezers (or use regular tweezers). Place the fillet in an oven pan. To protect the pan, you could line it with baking parchment.

Sprinkle the fillet with salt and pepper. Drizzle over some fresh lemon juice and scatter some roughly chopped dill on top.

Bake the fish at 175 °C for about 10 to 25 minutes, depending on your oven type and the thickness of the fillet cut. For a fillet that is about 2½ centimetres thick, it takes about 15 to 20 minutes to bake (but note that in convection oven it may take only 10 minutes or so).

The fish is done when the flesh starts to turn opaque and flaky. Do not bake the fish for too long, or it will come out dry. It is better to leave the fish just slightly underdone in the middle.

Sprinkle the salmon with chopped fresh dill and serve immediately with boiled new potatoes and summer salad.

Pure Purple
06-30-2011, 04:50 PM
Shahi Tukra Recipe
Shahi tukra is made by frying the bread pieces in oil and then dipping them in sweetened milk and garnishing with nuts and cardomom.

Ingredients:
4 bread slices
400 gms sugar
300 gms milk
2 cardamom
a pinch of saffron
15 gms cashewnuts
15 gms pistachio nuts
oil for deep frying
silver paper

How to make Shahi Tukra:
cut bread into 2 triangles.
Fry the bread slices and remove.
Boil milk and simmer reducing it to half.
Add sugar and boil for another 10 minutes.
Soak saffron in a little milk after heating and pour it on the fried bread.
Spread the bread on a tray and pour the milk over the bread and garnish with crushed cardamoms, chopped nuts and silver paper.
Serve the Shahi Tukra hot.

sister herb
07-01-2011, 10:29 AM
Finnish Honey Rusks

150 ml milk
15 g fresh yeast
50 g butter
25 g honey
1 egg yolk
¼ tsp coarsely crushed cardamom seeds
500 ml (about 275 g) flour
1 egg for glazing

Dissolve the yeast in a small amount of cold milk. Warm up the rest of the milk and add to the yeast mixture along with the egg yolk. Add flour enough to get a soft and kneadable dough and continue kneading until the dough is shiny and elastic. Cover and let rise until doubled in size.

Mix together the soft butter, honey and cardamom and add the mixture to the dough. Add more flour, knead and shape the dough into small batons, about 10 cm long and 3 cm wide. Place the batons on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper, cover with towel and let rise.

Brush the batons with egg and bake at 225 °C for 8 - 9 minutes, or until slightly browned on surface. Let the batons cool down a bit, then cut them in half lengthwise with a serrated knife. Place the baton halves back on the baking sheet, cut side up, and brown at 200 °C for 5 - 10 minutes.

Remove the rusks from the oven and lower the heat to 50 °C . Return the rusks to the oven, leave the oven door ajar and let the rusks dry until very crisp, for about 1 - 2 hours. You can dry two baking sheets of rusks simultaneously — one on top of another — only switch their places halfway through baking.

Serve the rusks warm or cold at breakfast, lunch or as a snack with tea, coffee, hot chocolate etc, spread with butter, jam, honey, cream cheese or whatever you like. Store in an airtight container.

sister herb
07-01-2011, 05:39 PM
Kitchen Safety Tips

The kitchen is a dangerous place. Not only are you working with hot surfaces, and boiling liquid, but you're handling sharp knives and utensils that can injure you in a second. So let's learn how to stay safe in the kitchen.

1. Keep Kids and Pets Out!
Children and pets do not belong in the kitchen. Unless the kids are helping you or learning how to cook, keep them out of the area. Not only can kids and pets be a distraction, but they can easily hurt themselves by getting into raw food, pulling hot pots down, and tripping you while you're carrying something heavy.

When you want to teach your kids about cooking be sure to start with simple recipes that don't involve a lot of cutting, heat, or appliances. Don't hold a baby or child while you are cooking. And remember to teach children to respect the kitchen. It's not a place for horseplay or fighting.

2. Wear Shoes and Safe Clothing
Like Chandler in Friends, I once dropped a knife on my foot. I did need stitches, although I didn't actually sever my toe. From that day on, I learned that wearing shoes, good sturdy shoes, is essential to kitchen safety.

Make sure you are wearing safe clothes too. Sleeves should not be long and flowy. Do not wear loose clothing or anything flammable, and avoid synthetic clothing, which can melt onto your skin if it catches on fire.

3. Don't Rush
Rushing around the kitchen will almost guarantee accidents. Unless you're a pro, cut food slowly, do not run from station to station, and take your time when moving hot pots and pans. Saving a few minutes here and there will be negated if you need to make a trip to the doctor's office.

Also never try to bake or cook if you are under the influence of alcohol or medications, or are very sleepy.

4. Always Use Hot Pads
Keep a good selection of hot pads and oven mitts on hand. Always use them for any bowl, pot, or pan that has been in an appliance. It's especially important to use these items on bowls you are pulling out of the microwave oven. Even microwave-safe bowls can get quite hot, and it's easy to burn yourself. And if a hot pad or oven mitt gets wet, don't use it until it dries. A wet pad or cloth will easily transmit heat.

5. Stir Away From Your Body
Last year, I got a severe burn on my arm when I was stirring some pasta boiling away on the stove. Some of the water bubbled up and hit my hand, which jerked, sending a spoonful of boiling water onto my arm. This caused a second-degree burn.

Now, when I stir pasta, I use a slotted spoon, and I position the spoon so the bowl is facing away from me. This way, if my hand does jerk again, I won't scoop boiling water toward myself. So, even though it's counter intuitive, hold the bowl of the spoon away from yourself when stirring something hot and boiling.

6. Learn how to Use Knives
Learn how to use a knife and treat them with respect. Knives should always be sharp. A dull knife can slip and cut. Learn how to chop and slice as chefs do, holding the food with your non-dominant hand, fingers curled under. Go slow until you are confident, and always pay attention.

7. Know Your Equipment and Handle it Properly
Read instructions that come with appliances and understand how to use them. Never use an appliance that has a frayed cord, and keep small appliances dry and away from water. And never use your fingers to release something caught in food processor blades or mixers.

Be careful with the blades on food processors and blenders; they can be very sharp and can cut you if you just brush against them.

Let appliances cool down before cleaning them. And don't use an appliance for a purpose for which it wasn't created.

8. Clean Up Spills Promptly
Cleaning up spills as you go not only helps save time when cleaning the kitchen, but will help prevent accidents. Water, food, and grease on the floor will almost guarantee a fall.

Watch out for cooking sprays too. If they are sprayed on the floor, the surface will become very slippery. I always hold the pan I'm spraying over the sink so any over spray will not land on the floor.

9. Know Your Limits when Lifting
Lifting a hot pot of boiling pasta is one of the most dangerous of kitchen techniques. Think about getting a pasta cooker that consists of a strainer inserted into a larger pot. You just lift the pasta out of the water to drain it, instead of moving a heavy pot of boiling water from the stove to sink.

Lift using your knees and back, and know your limits. Ask for help if you need to move or transfer something heavy.

10. Watch Out for Steam
Steam can burn just as easily as boiling liquid or a hot burner. Be especially careful around covered microwaved foods, and foods that have been cooked in packets. Open these packages away from your face, and remember to use hot pads. And when you lift a cover off a boiling pot, pull the cover toward you so you don't burn your hand with steam.

11. Learn how to Extinguish Fires
Always have a fire extinguisher handy in your kitchen, and be sure that you know how to use it before you need it.

Know a little bit about different fires. Never try to extinguish grease and electric fires with water; baking soda or a pan cover work best. Smothering a fire by removing air is the best way to put most out. Use a pot cover, baking soda, or salt, not water.

A fire in the microwave can be put out just by turning the appliance off and keeping the door closed. A fire in the oven should be extinguished with baking soda or a fire extinguisher.

If you can't douse the fire in a few seconds, call the fire department. Fires can spread so quickly and can get out of control in minutes.

12. Be Careful Around Stove Burners
Always keep pot handles turned away from the front of the stove; it's too easy to accidentally brush against them and spill hot food on yourself.

Never reach over a hot burner to another pan. Push back your sleeves when cooking food on the stove top. And keep pot covers handy to smother flames.

13. Don't Leave Food Unattended
Never leave the house when food is cooking or baking, except for a slow cooker. I put my slow cooker on my cool stove top just so it's on a heatproof surface. Food can quickly go from browning to burning to bursting into flame.

If there are children or pets in your household, make sure an adult is in the kitchen at all times. Accidents happen in seconds.

14. Stop, Drop and Roll
Learn personal safety and fire safety. Teach your children about 'stop, drop, and roll' if their clothing catches on fire. In fact, teach your kids to respect the kitchen, fire, and heat. Nothing in the kitchen is a toy.

15. Keep a First Aid Kit in the Kitchen
Most people keep a first aid kit in the bathroom. One belongs in the kitchen as well. Make sure it's stocked with up-to-date equipment, including gauze, burn salve, scissors, and the phone number for your doctors and nearby hospitals.

SFatima
07-02-2011, 07:57 PM
JazakAllah khair sister harb, these were very informative tips indeed! We all must abide by them esp the plastic clothes one, plastic, linen whichever it was, you made a really good point.

need to add something, NEVER wipe the kitchen stuff/floor or tables with spirit and then light a match stick right after! yikes i burnt the whole place once by mistake :embarrass :hiding:

Who Am I?
07-02-2011, 09:03 PM
I set off the smoke alarm once when I was cooking.

At least I know it works now.

sister herb
07-02-2011, 09:33 PM
As those tips;

At kitchen, 4 years ago I got boiled oil to my arm.

I had first aid packet in kithcen and knowledge what to do when to skin come boiling oil.

Coooooooooooooooooooold! Freezer and fast.

No scars in my arm.

Alpha Dude
07-03-2011, 01:42 PM
I just made some chicken tikka. First time in my life. I'm so proud.

The saucepan ended up with this at the bottom (I think I fried the chicken for too long and used too much oil). Nothing some elbow grease couldn't cure.

Who Am I?
07-03-2011, 06:20 PM

The saucepan ended up with this at the bottom (I think I fried the chicken for too long and used too much oil). Nothing some elbow grease couldn't cure.

Yeah that has happened to me when cooking in a pan like that where I get that black stuff at the bottom of the pan.

Elbow grease eh? Have to remember that one...

Haya emaan
07-03-2011, 06:34 PM
is that image of chicken tikka...?? ^o)

Alpha Dude
07-03-2011, 06:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by King of Nines
Elbow grease eh? Have to remember that one...
Lol. That's just a term used in the UK to refer to 'hard work'. :D

is that image of chicken tikka...?? ^o)
Yeah... I guess it didn't turn out good? I don't know. Tasted okay. That's all that matters.

Btw, I cheated - didn't make the sauce from scratch. Used one of them ready packed jars.

I may have gotten the chicken to sauce ratio wrong. :hmm:

Haya emaan
07-03-2011, 07:08 PM

Yeah... I guess it didn't turn out good? I don't know. Tasted okay. That's all that matters.

Btw, I cheated - didn't make the sauce from scratch. Used one of them ready packed jars.

I may have gotten the chicken to sauce ratio wrong. :hmm:
may be thats the reason i thought it wasn't chicken tikka.. lol no matter if it tasted ok.. :p

at last i am also going to take part in sharing recipes :statisfie but sorry i dont have any image.. you can Google it :)

recipe of simple rice (or call it simplest rice:p)

ingredients:

little oil
some cardamom
some black pepper(whole)
cinnamon
rice
water
salt

(don't ask me how much of all^ use your own brain:hmm:)

method:

wash and soak rice
heat the oil..
add cardamom, black pepper and cinnamon..
fry them little and add water..
add salt boil the water and add rice
cook till all the water is absorbed
let the rice cook at slow heat for some time

rice is ready....:D

SFatima
07-03-2011, 07:15 PM
what is the greatest tip for being able to make such yummy foods?

desire/ hunger/motivation? what? i would like to know :)

piXie
07-03-2011, 07:32 PM
Try this chicken tikka recipe next time :D

After putting small cuts through the boneless chicken pieces, marinate them with:

For 1 medium chicken:

Olive oil (abt 5 tablespoons)
Paprika ( 1tsp)
Salt (1 tsp)
Cider Vinegar (2 tsp)
Lemon (if needed)
Black pepper (a little bit for taste)
Cayyene Pepper (half tsp)
Ground coriander (1 tsp)
Dried mint (half tsp)
Yogurt (sour) (2 tablespoons)
Green Chillies (1 medium)
Ginger (1 inch)
Garlic (3 cloves)

G & G & G all finely diced up.

Also one tiny onion diced.

Mix it all together.

Tip: Taste the mixture before adding the chicken into it incase it needs amending because the quantites of these ingredients are just rough estimations - m not sure until I see the chicken infront of me.. :ermm:

After adding chicken, leave it for about 1 hr until the mixture seeps in.

Then, put the chicken in a pan on a very low fire for 1/2 hr - 1hr or until it is cooked.

Or alternatively, u can BBQ it or Grill it. :D

Decorate with fresh coriander leaves before serving.

piXie
07-03-2011, 08:09 PM
......edit.....

Who Am I?
07-04-2011, 03:16 AM
Lol. That's just a term used in the UK to refer to 'hard work'. :D
We use it here across the pond too. I thought you were talking about something like this:

Attachment 4271

sister herb
07-04-2011, 04:13 PM
Stuffed Grape Leaves with Olive Oil

Known as dolma or sarma in Turkey. My Iraqi friends make these sometimes (they call them as dolma).

For the Stuffing:

2 cups rice
½ white or yellow onion (chopped)
½ cup pine nuts
1/3 cup chopped fresh mint (or 2 tbsp dried mint)
1/3 cup chopped fresh flat leave parsley (or 2 tbsp dried parsley)
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp cumin
1/3 cup olive oil
2 lemons

For Rolling & Cooking:

1 jar grape leaves or as much as it takes to finish the stuffing above
½ lemon
2 sprigs fresh mint
2 garlic cloves (sliced)
2 tbsp olive oil
Water (as much as it takes to fill ¾ of the pot)

Preparation:

Mix all the stuffing ingredients together. The stuffing should look like this:

If you are using a pickled grape leaves, remove from the jar and run under cold water and squeeze to let all the water out.

Take one grape leaf and place on a cutting board or well cleaned counter. If your cutting board is white, it will turn to a greenish/brownish color from this because of all the juices as you can see in the pictures :( Make sure to place your leaf the smooth side down, facing the board. When you roll it, the smooth side of the leaf will be on the outer side.

Remove the stem. Place some stuffing on the leaf.

Start rolling the grape leaf by first making one fold forward and then folding both sides in.

Keep rolling forward until the leaf is completely rolled.

Place neatly in a pot. The first round of placing the sarmas in the pot looks like this:

When the pot is full, the sarmas should look like this:

Once all the grape leaves are rolled, place the fresh mint leaves on top along with sliced garlic. Pour ½ lemon juice on top and drizzle the olive oil. Add water enough to cover ¾ of the pot.

Place small plates on the sarmas to put weight on them so they do not open during the cooking process. Cover and cook on medium heat until water boils. Reduce the heat once the water boils and start cooking on low for 45 minutes. Make sure the water does not dry out before cooking. I always take one sarma and taste it before I decide if the rice inside has cooked or not. Enjoy warm or cold.

Note: You may also use the stuffing (with meat) used in the Karısık Dolma recipe. You may also use the vegetarian stuffing for making dolmas with eggplants, zucchinis or bell peppers.

sister herb
07-04-2011, 05:01 PM
This is one of my favorites:

White Chocolate Cheesecake

Bottom:
170 g unsalted butter
75 g pecans
170 g flour
1 tbsp powdered sugar

Melt the butter. Chop the nuts finely. Combine everything and spread into a buttered springform pan, lined with a round of parchment paper or cut out teflon sheet. (You can attempt to do this without lining, but I wouldn't dare.)

Bake at 175° for 22-25 minutes or until lightly golden. Remove and let cool completely in the pan.

Filling:
200 g cream cheese
300 g white chocolate
25 g sugar
500 ml (2 cups) heavy cream (35-40% fat)

Melt the chocolate. Mix sugar and cream cheese and add the chocolate to this. Beat the cream until it holds soft peaks - don't overbeat it. Fold in with the rest. Pour into the pan, and smooth the top. Refrigerate for at least three hours.

Topping:
500 g strawberries

Trim the strawberries to a fairly even size, and decorate the top of the cake.

Here is now best season of fresh strawberries... planning to make this at next weekend. Yummy!

sister herb
07-04-2011, 05:22 PM
Homemade Fruity Candies

200 gr dried fruits (apple, pineapple, papaya, raisins, apricot)
50 gr candied cherries
50 gr dried orange peel
50 gr pine nuts
150 gr ground almonds
3 dl sugar
125 gr butter
¾ dl light syrup (molasses)

Cut the fruit into small pieces and mix together with pine nuts and ground almonds.

Melt the sugar in a saucepan at low heat, add butter and syrup and allow it to simmer for a few minutes. Add the fruit-nut mixture to the saucepan and again allow it to simmer for a while.

Cover a baking tray (25cm x 25cm) with greaseproof paper and pour the mixture on it. Cut into small squares before the mixture hardens.

Who Am I?
07-05-2011, 12:12 AM
So, are you supposed to eat the leaves of that grape leaf rice thingy?

sister herb
07-05-2011, 04:48 AM
So, are you supposed to eat the leaves of that grape leaf rice thingy?
Sure. It is yummy.

Who Am I?
07-05-2011, 12:50 PM
Sure. It is yummy.
So it's like a cooked salad then. Interesting.

sister herb
07-05-2011, 03:20 PM
So it's like a cooked salad then. Interesting.
You can also use meat with rice.

Stuffed vegetables:

Vegetables:

10 small thick eggplants
8 small zucchinis
6 red small bell peppers
2 large green bell peppers
1 large tomato

For the Vegetables:

Full pot of water
1 tsp salt
1 juice of lemon

For the Stuffing:
1 lb ground beef (96% lean)
3 cups of short grain white rice
2 large ripe peeled tomatoes
¾ cup finely chopped parsley
½ cup finely chopped mint
1½ tbsp chopped garlic (about 3 very large cloves)
3 tbsp tomato paste
3 tbsp red pepper paste
1 diced long green pepper or 1/2 cubanelle pepper (optional)
2 tbsp Pomegranate Molasses
1 juice of lemon
1½ tsp salt
½ tsp ground black pepper
½ tsp cumin

For Cooking the Dolmas:

Juices of 2 lemons
4 cloves of garlic
2-3 stems of mint
1 ½ cup water

Fill a large pot with water and add salt & the juice of one lemon. This will be used to keep the eggplants from turning brown and to give them a salty lemony taste to the vegetables after being carved.

To carve an eggplant without creating a hole can be challenging. There is a tool that is especially used to carve an eggplant or a zucchini in Turkey. I know that they are definitely available here in the States in Middle Eastern stores. That little tool makes carving a lot easier. After washing the vegetables well, remove the stem from the eggplant and cut a 1/2 inch from where the stem was. Do not discard the ½ inch stem as it will be used for covering the stuffing later on. This will allow the carver to have enough room to go inside the eggplant. Stick the carver once and remove.

This will look like a half moon. Stick the carver on the opposite side of the previous location and this will look like a round shape. Turn the carver around that area and remove. You will see that the heart of the eggplant will come out nicely. From there, you can start carving easily until the inside of the eggplant is hallowed. Be careful not to poke the eggplant in places so that there are no holes.

Once the carving is complete, add the eggplant to the salty and sour water.

Repeat the same process until all the eggplants are carved. Now, start carving the zucchinis the same exact way. The zucchinis tend to get unwanted holes in them more than eggplants, so be extra careful. Scrape the zucchinis with a knife or with the carver (some carvers have a scraper also) after you carve them. Remove the stems from the peppers and remove any seeds that may be inside them. Repeat the same thing with the tomato.

To prepare the stuffing, mix all the stuffing ingredients very well in a large bowl.

Now, fill each of the carved vegetables one by one with the lemony, salty water in the pot, shake very well and pour the water back and set aside. Do this one by one. This way, the lemon and salt will get inside the carved vegetables nicely.

Start filling the vegetables with the stuffing.

Fill up to the top and leave a ½ inch space on top and cover with the ½ inch piece you cut up before you began the carving process. This will close the vegetable so that the stuffing will stay inside the vegetable rather than swimming around in the pot while cooking. Repeat the same process with all the carved vegetables. Arrange the vegetables in the large pot. Make sure they are not loosely arranged. They need to be as tight as possible so they have no where to move in the pot.

Try not to overfill the pot. If the vegetables do not fit the pot, split them into two pots. Assuming you have one large pot, spread 4 crushed garlic cloves, fresh mint leaves and the lemon juice on top of the arranged stuffed vegetables.

Then pour 1 ½ cup of water and put some weight on the vegetables. There is a special weight tool that is made out clay that is put inside the pot on the vegetables in Turkey. Since that is not available to me, I put in 3-4 small plates to put some weight on the vegetables so that they will not be swimming in the pot. Put on the stove until the water inside starts to boiling and then turn to low heat for 1.5 hours. After turning the heat off, let the pot sit covered for 30 minutes before serving. Serve warm. This dish goes very well with plain yogurt.

Who Am I?
07-05-2011, 05:41 PM
My mom makes good stuffed peppers with beef, chicken, rice, and cheese.

sister herb
07-06-2011, 01:20 PM
Easy and fast:

Coconut Cookies

2 egg whites
3/4 cup flaked coconut, sweetened
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour

Preheat the oven to 190 C (400 F). Beat the egg whites using an electric mixer until foamy. Add the coconut flakes, flour and sugar, and mix again. Put parchment paper on the oven tray. Place spoonfuls of the mixture on it. Bake for about 15-20 minutes, until the crust turns to a light golden colour.

sister herb
07-06-2011, 02:47 PM
Turkish Lemon Cake

125 gr unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup milk, room temperature
3 tbsp lemon juice
1 lemon zest
1 2/3 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 egg whites, beat until they are stiff

You can use any kind of Cake mold, I used one with a hole in the center.

Beat the butter with sugar until creamy using a wooden spoon in a large bowl. Add in the egg yolks one by one, mix. Add the lemon juice, lemon zest and milk, continue to mix. Mix the flour, baking powder and salt in an another bowl and add slowly into the egg mixture. Mix until the batter is creamy. Slowly add frosted egg whites into the batter, stir using a metal table spoon.

Oil the mold first, then sprinkle 1 tbsp flour in it. Pour the batter into the mold equally using a tablespoon.

Preheat the oven to 175 C. Place the mold on the middle rack. Bake for 35 minutes until toothpick comes out clean. Wait for 15 minutes, then place the cake on the wire rack to cool it down. Serve Lemon Cake with whipped cream and any kind of berries.

sister herb
07-21-2011, 05:05 PM
Mushroom Pie

125 g butter
200 ml coarse wheat flour or about 250 ml fine wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
about 150 g peeled, floury potatoes

filling:
2 large shallots or 2 small yellow onions
about 600 - 650 g chanterelles and/or mixed mushrooms — fresh or frozen
200 g (low-fat) crème fraîche
2 eggs
1 tsp potato flour or cornstarch
½ tsp black pepper
¼ tsp (or less) salt
100 ml grated mozzarella cheese
100 ml grated sharp Emmental cheese
(sesame seeds)

First prepare the crust. Bring the butter to room temperature. Boil the potatoes until tender and let them cool thoroughly. Grate the potatoes very finely, there should be about 150 grams of grated potato. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt.

Pour the flour mixture and the grated potatoes over the soft butter in a bowl. Rapidly mix the ingredients together to form a dough. Do not mix or knead the dough more than it is necessary to get the ingredients mixed. Flatten the dough, wrap it in plastic and place in refrigerator to rest and harden. You can do this on the previous day.

Prepare the filling. Clean the mushrooms and chop them in small pieces. If you are using frozen mushrooms, let them thaw partially in refrigerator before chopping. For the filling, you can use solely chanterelles or replace part of them with wild or cultivated mushrooms, like boletes, funnel chanterelles, champignons and shiitake mushrooms. If using funnel chanterelles and shiitake mushrooms, remove their fibrous stems and use the caps only.

Chop the onions extremely fine and slowly sauté them in a little butter until soft and translucent. Set aside. Fry the mushrooms on high heat in dry skillet, mixing continually, until most of the moisture has evaporated. Reduce the heat, add some butter and slowly cook the mushrooms until tender, stirring every now and then. Note that softer mushrooms, like boletes, cook much quicker than harder mushrooms, like chanterelles.

When the mushrooms have softened, mix in the cooked onion. Set the mixture aside. Soften the dough and roll it out into about 5 mm thick, flat disc. Butter the bottom and sides of a springform cake or pie pan (Ø 26 - 28 cm). Lift the dough and place it in the pan, pressing it against the bottom and sides. The sides of the dough should be high enough to hold the mushroom filling. Cover the pan with plastic and place in refrigerator to harden.

Meanwhile, prepare the rest of the filling. Pour the crème fraîche in a bowl and stir until smooth. Add the eggs, potato flour, pepper and salt and mix. Set aside.

Prebake the pie crust. Prick the crust with a fork and line it with a piece of buttered foil. Fill the foil with baking beans, dry peas, rice etc, to help the crust hold its shape while baking. Bake the crust in the lower part of the oven at 225 °C for about 10 minutes, or until it feels firm enough to hold its shape without collapsing. Gently remove the foil and the beans and continue baking for about 2 - 10 minutes, or until the crust starts to brown around the edges and on the bottom.

Take the pan out of the oven, and fill the crust with the mushrooms. Drizzle the cream filling on top. Using a fork or a knife, help the cream run between the mushrooms to make the filling more even. Sprinkle the mixed, grated cheese on top. If you like, you can brush the edge of the pie with egg and sprinkle it with some sesame seeds. Bake the pie at 200 °C for about 30 minutes, or until the filling has set.

Let the pie cool and set for a few minutes before loosening and removing the rim of the pan. Lift the pie on the serving plate, cut in wedges and serve while warm.

sister herb
08-03-2011, 03:00 PM
Vanilla Biscuits

1 1/2 cup wheat flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup butter, melted
1 tsp. vanilla
sugar powder for dusting

Combine all ingredients expect sugar powder, knead by hand until smooth and homogeneous dough, refrigerate for 1 hour.
Fill biscuit dispenser and shape as preferred into ungreased tray oven.
Bake bisuit into hot oven at 170c for 20 minutes, cool.
Dust biscuit with sugar powder, serve with tea.

----------------

Toffee Cupcakes

8 pcs. vanilla cupcakes

Toffee sauce:
3/4 cup sugar
2 tbs. butter
1 cup cream

Prepare toffee sauce by melting sugar over heat without mixing, add butter and cream, stir over heat until it becomes golden color.
Pour 1 tbs. toffee sauce over each cupcakes, garnish with nut/almond crumbs, serve with tea or coffee.

sister herb
11-09-2011, 11:17 PM
Cheese crackers

125 g flour
100 g finely grated cheese (sharp Emmental, Gruyère or Parmesan)
90 g butter
40 g thick cream or crème fraîche
pinch of cayenne pepper

Mix the flour with the grated cheese. Add the soft butter, cream and pepper and mix by hand until smooth. Place the dough in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 3 hours in refrigerator.

Roll out the dough into a thin sheet. You may use pasta machine to do this. Cut out crackers of different shapes. Lift the crackers on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.

Brush the crackers with egg, prick them with fork and bake at 225 °C for 5 - 9 minutes, depending on the thickness of the crackers. Do not let them become very brown. Serve the crackers warm or cool to accompany bouillons, soups, cheeses etc.

You may also sprinkle the crackers with sesame or poppy seeds before baking them.

sister herb
11-10-2011, 12:43 AM
Cocoa and coffee brownies

This recipe produces cake-like, rather soft and light-textured brownies.

batter:
200 g butter
150 ml sugar
3 eggs
250 ml flour
100 ml cocoa powder
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp vanilla sugar
100 ml freshly brewed strong coffee, preferably espresso
(100 ml chopped almonds)

icing:
1 portion of cocoa and coffee icing
First brew the coffee and set it aside to cool thoroughly.

Beat the soft butter and the sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time and beat until smooth. Combine the flour, baking powder, cocoa powder and vanilla sugar and add to the batter through a sieve. Stir gently to mix, using a spatula or a balloon whisk.

Stir in the chilled coffee (and the almonds). Line a square-shaped cake pan (about 22 cm × 30 cm × 3 cm) with parchment paper, pour in the batter and spread it evenly in the pan with a spatula, smoothing out the surface. Bake at 200 °C for 15 - 25 minutes, or until a cake tester/toothpick comes out clean. Let the cake cool.

Frost the cake with cocoa and coffee icing and let it set at room temperature. Cut the cake in pieces and serve with vanilla ice cream, vanilla sauce, vanilla-flavoured whipped cream, strawberry, raspberry, mango or other fruit sauce, etc.

-----------------------------

COCOA AND COFFEE ICING
25 g butter
25 ml freshly brewed strong coffee, preferably espresso
200 ml icing sugar
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla sugar
Mix together the icing sugar, cocoa powder and vanilla sugar. Melt the butter in a small saucepan and mix in the coffee.

Add the dry ingredients through a sieve and mix until thoroughly blended. Immediately spread or pour the icing on a cake, brownies, muffins, doughnuts, pastries, etc, and let cool until set.

syed1
11-10-2011, 11:08 PM
omg, I am so hungry looking at all the pictures, yum yum :)

Ramadhan
11-11-2011, 01:49 AM
I never knew cheese crackers can be home made. I always thought only factories can produce them. lol

Cheese crackers

125 g flour
100 g finely grated cheese (sharp Emmental, Gruyère or Parmesan)
90 g butter
40 g thick cream or crème fraîche
pinch of cayenne pepper

Mix the flour with the grated cheese. Add the soft butter, cream and pepper and mix by hand until smooth. Place the dough in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 3 hours in refrigerator.

Roll out the dough into a thin sheet. You may use pasta machine to do this. Cut out crackers of different shapes. Lift the crackers on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.

Brush the crackers with egg, prick them with fork and bake at 225 °C for 5 - 9 minutes, depending on the thickness of the crackers. Do not let them become very brown. Serve the crackers warm or cool to accompany bouillons, soups, cheeses etc.

You may also sprinkle the crackers with sesame or poppy seeds before baking them.

syed1
11-11-2011, 02:42 AM
i will pay for these..^^ omg.:raging: want one now!

sister herb
11-11-2011, 12:09 PM
Meringues

3 medium or large egg whites (about 105 - 120 g)
150 ml sugar

Lightly beat the egg whites in a bowl until they start to foam. To quicken the beating process, use an electric mixer.

Increasing speed to maximum, continue beating until the whites start to stiffen.

In picture: piped meringues.

Start adding the sugar little at a time, beating continually. Beat the mixture for about 5 - 7 minutes, or until it is very stiff and has a silky sheen. The mixture should not drip from a spoon or spread at all when dropped on a baking sheet. Spoon or pipe the meringue into small mounds on baking sheet covered with non-stick parchment paper.

In picture spooned meringues.

Bake in a very cool oven — less than 100 °C — until the meringues are light, crisp and thoroughly dry. This may take anything between 3 to 6 hours. Towards the end of baking, you can leave the oven door ajar for the excess moisture to escape.

In picture: piped meringue disks.

Serve the cooled meringues with coffee or tea. Meringues may also be coarsely crushed and mixed in or sprinkled on top of desserts, like mousses, ice creams and parfaits.

Store the meringues in an airtight container, especially if you live in a humid climate.

You can pipe or spread the meringue mixture into large flat disks and layer them with filling after baking to make a meringue cake, or into smaller disks (in picture on right) and sandwich pairs of them together with a dollop of plain or flavoured whipped cream or butter cream, chocolate ganache, etc. Do not fill the meringues until only briefly before serving, as the filling will quickly soften them.

HAZELNUT MERINGUES

150 ml sugar
100 g chopped or ground hazelnuts or walnuts
Prepare the same way as plain meringues, and after you have whisked the egg whites and the sugar stiff, gently fold in the chopped or ground nuts.

COCOA MERINGUES

150 ml sugar
1 tbsp cocoa powder
Prepare the same way as plain meringues, but mix the sifted cocoa powder with the sugar before beating them into the egg whites.

Or use some food coloring:

Huzzy_786
11-11-2011, 12:37 PM
Outstanding talent in its self! I wish I could cook awesome things, however all the mum's food are awesome :)

I am 15, I know how to make Indian tea, let me know if you want a recipe for that :)

sister herb
11-11-2011, 12:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Huzzy_786
Outstanding talent in its self! I wish I could cook awesome things, however all the mum's food are awesome :)

I am 15, I know how to make Indian tea, let me know if you want a recipe for that :)
Waiting your recipe...

Huzzy_786
11-11-2011, 12:56 PM
1.) Take a pan, and add water, tea and sugar to it.
2.) Put the burner on low flame.
3.) Heat the tea until it turns a reddish brown colour.
4.) Take Basil leaves and ginger flakes, and crush them together. Add this to the mixture.
5.) Add milk and crushed cardamom to the mixture.
6.) Increase the flame.
7.) Stop the burner when the milk rises to the top of the pan.

rose17
11-11-2011, 09:08 PM
thanks for sharing... I'll make some sooon. :p

Innocent Soul
11-14-2011, 09:08 AM
Please post here easy, simple and if possible, fast to make recipes for me. Add also picture of foods if you can. Please no baking recipes :unsure:.

sister herb
11-17-2011, 04:06 PM
Chocolate Chip Cheesecake

Ingredients
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, softened
1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
2 packages (8 oz. each) cream cheese, softened
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup HERSHEY'S Mini Chips Semi-Sweet Chocolate, divided

Directions

1 Heat oven to 350°F. Beat butter, 1/2 cup sugar and salt in small bowl until smooth. Stir together flour and cocoa; gradually add to butter mixture, beating until soft dough forms. Press dough onto bottom of 8- or 9-inch springform pan.

2 Beat cream cheese and remaining 3/4 cup sugar in medium bowl until smooth. Add eggs and vanilla; beat until well blended. Remove 1 cup batter; set aside. Add 1/2 cup small chocolate chips to remaining batter; pour over crust.

3 Place remaining chips in medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at MEDIUM (50%) 1 minute; stir. Microwave at MEDIUM in 15 second increments until chocolate is melted and smooth when stirred. Gradually add to reserved batter, blending well. Drop by spoonfuls onto batter in pan; gently swirl with knife for marbled effect.

4 Bake 35 to 40 minutes until cheesecake is firm and top is slightly puffed. With knife, immediately loosen cake from side of pan. Cool completely. Cover; refrigerate until chilled. Garnish as desired. Cover; refrigerate leftover cheesecake. 10 to 12 servings.

Samiun
11-20-2011, 02:16 AM
:sl: I made my own burger yesterday. I added salt, white pepper, bread crumbs and worcestershire sauce to the minced meat but it didn't taste that great. I feel something is missing. Can someone help me out here?

sister herb
11-20-2011, 09:12 AM
Maybe some tablespoon paprika and garlic?

marwen
11-20-2011, 01:59 PM
Probably this thread is not my place, but I really respect people who make their food by themselves. Besides I like looking at pictures of food.
Just subscribing..

don't expect some good recipes from me, except if you really like to get through new intoxication experiences .

syed1
11-25-2011, 10:45 PM
SAlam...

I have question related to steaks so I thought I'd post it here....

I am going out to eat steaks tonight and was wondering what Should I tell the waiter as to how i want my steak prepared... medium rare? rare? what does it mean... what should I say :$ never went out to eat steaks before...

serena77
11-25-2011, 10:48 PM
depends how you want your steak. medium rare is generally cool in the middle pretty pink throughout. medium is warm all the way through, still some pink... medium well is hot all the way through normally but still a little pink but not much at all ... and well done.... the way i eat it... is brown all the way through if cooked right is still juicy and not dried out ... and well.. rare moos when you cut it :) ( kinda kidding) i can't eat rare meat at all
Serena

syed1
11-25-2011, 10:56 PM
why would I want it to be pink in the middle, wouldn't that imply that it is not cooked properly ? +o(

serena77
11-25-2011, 10:59 PM
no.. actually it doesnt. some meats that is true. like chicken, turkey.. etc. however.. in steak and some other cuts of beef that is not a problem. many people prefer it that way. If you want it all the way done though.... i would recommend ordering it well done. Keep in mind... beef like beef tartar is served raw.... so no pink steak is okay.... it generally is very juicy that way... its not for me.... but my family laughs at me for insisting i eat mine well done. they like theirs to be red in the middle.
Salaams
Serena

syed1
11-25-2011, 11:07 PM
thanks for you help serena, I think Im going to go for medium well today.. I will post a picture of it when I get back for you to see Inshallah :D

serena77
11-25-2011, 11:09 PM
syed.. your welcome.. honestly i'm glad i could help on something here as wonderful as everyone is to me... I used to work in a steak house... long time ago in a land far far away. oh yea... if something happens and you order a marinaded steak that has any sugar in the marinade at all expect the outside to look dark almost burnt.... thats to be expected because when you grill anything w/ sugar in the marinade it darkens the outside of the meat.
again... hope something i said helps
Salaams
Serena

syed1
11-26-2011, 03:13 AM
thanks serena, you did help a lot. any ways here are the pics as I promised :)

The pic in the middle is of potatoes wedges... mmm

Attachment 4463Attachment 4464Attachment 4465

serena77
11-26-2011, 03:18 AM
*chuckle* glad i could help. the pictures look great. i"m not a big steak eater.. my parents love it ... which means i eat it much more often than i want to. sounds like you had a good dinner... thats whats important :)
Serena

syed1
11-26-2011, 03:28 AM
yeah, im not a big steak person either.. it was my brothers treat today n he wanted to dine some where fancy so we tried this steak place...TBH the first few bites were really good and then it just got too much ..but none the less I finished it :statisfie..
any ways hope you had a good night/dinner too.. thanks again

Samiun
11-30-2011, 03:16 PM
:sl: I just fried my burgers without oil today. It still tasted not as good as a normal would. I tried adding paprika and garlic but to no avail it still remains the same. Should I put olive oil on my pan before frying those delicious burgers?

Ramadhan
12-01-2011, 04:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Samiun
I just fried my burgers without oil today. It still tasted not as good as a normal would. I tried adding paprika and garlic but to no avail it still remains the same. Should I put olive oil on my pan before frying those delicious burgers?
:wa:

maybe you used minced/ground meat that is too lean?
You know, fats and cholesterol is what makes food delicious, so next time try to use meat with that still has little bits of fat.
Also, make sure the seasoning is good/enough.

Also, you need to sautee the chopped/crushed garlic and onions or shallots in a frying pan with little butter/oil lightly to bring out their flavour before adding them to the ground beef. Do not forget to use an egg or breadcrumb so the patties would not crumble. Try to also add parsley. Burgers are best grilled, not fried.

Amat Allah
12-01-2011, 11:54 AM

I was seaching for an easy recipe for the Cupcake then I found it and baked it,
it was too simple and delicious Alhamdulilah so, here you are in shaa Allah:

Easy Cupcake Recipe

Ingredients

• 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
• 1 1/3 cups sugar
• 3 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 cup shortening
• 1 cup milk
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
• 2 large eggs

Easy Cupcake Recipe Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Line cupcake pans with paper liners.
Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
Add shortening, milk, and vanilla. Beat for 1 minute on medium speed. Scrape side of bowl with a spatula.

Add eggs to the mixture. Beat for 1 minute on medium speed.
Scrape bowl again. Beat on high speed for 1 minute 30 seconds until well mixed.
Spoon cupcake batter into paper liners until 1/2 to 2/3 full.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Cool 5 minutes in pans then remove and place on wire racks to cool completely.
Once cupcakes are completely cooled, frost with your favorite frosting recipe or decorate as you desire.

And here you are; this is one of what I baked covered with chocolate and roasted coconut:

Endymion
12-01-2011, 01:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amat Allah
And here you are; this is one of what I baked covered with chocolate and roasted coconut:

Hungryyyyy............ I want one

sister herb
12-01-2011, 02:56 PM
Mmmmmmmmmmm... that cupcake looks good. May there be any still left?

sister herb
02-19-2012, 03:58 PM
Water Melon Juice

For 2:

2 cups watermelon chunks, seedless
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup cold water
5 ice cubes
1 lime, juiced

Combine all of the ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth. Serve over ice.

sister herb
02-19-2012, 04:16 PM
Strawberries with Balsamic vinegar

450 g fresh strawberries, hulled and large berries cut in half
30 ml balsamic vinegar
50 g white sugar
0.5 g freshly ground black pepper, or to taste

1. Place strawberries in a bowl. Drizzle vinegar over strawberries, and sprinkle with sugar. Stir gently to combine. Cover, and let sit at room temperature for at least 1 hour but not more than 4 hours. Just before serving, grind pepper over berries.

sister herb
02-19-2012, 04:19 PM
Baked Herb & Pistachio Falafel
Serves 4-6 (about 24 falafels)

8 sprigs of fresh mint
8 sprigs of fresh parsley
200 g pistachio nuts
2 cups garbanzo beans/chickpeas
2 cloves garlic
½ small onion
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp cumin
1 tbsp flour
1 tsp baking powder

Start by blending the herbs in a mixer for about 30 seconds. Add pistachio nuts and pulse until well combined. Rinse the garbanzo beans. Add them and the rest of the ingredients into the mixer and blend for about a minute. You might have to stir around with a spoon occasionally. Try to keep the texture of the falafel dough a little rough. Make 24 small round falafels, place on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper and bake for about 15 minutes on 375°F/200°C, turn every 5 minutes to get an even brown color.

Cashew Nut Dressing

6 tbsp cashew butter
6 tbsp canola or rapeseed oil
3 tbsp lemon juice
a pinch of salt

Whisk all the ingredients in a small bowl until they are combined.

Mint Yoghurt

1 cup soy yoghurt (or regular if you prefer)
4 sprigs of fresh mint (chopped)
1 lime, juice and zest

Add yoghurt, mint and lime in a bowl and stir around until combined. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes to get an intense mint flavor.

Tomato Chili Salsa

3 tomatoes, chopped into small dices
1/2 red chili, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
3 tbsp olive oil
fresh oregano
salt & pepper

Chop the ingredients and add everything to a serving bowl. Stir around. Add salt and pepper according to taste. Serve immediately or put in the fridge for 30 minutes to get more intense flavors.

Assembling the falafel

1 head white cabbage (or any lettuce with big leaves)
1 red romaine lettuce
falafels
cashew nut dressing
mint yoghurt
tomato salsa
fresh herbs
pistachio
raisins

Separate the leaves by turning the lettuce and cabbage upside down and removing the stem or cone with a knife.
Put it under running water and gently separate the leaves one by one. Pat dry.

Hold one cabbage leaf in your hand, place a lettuce leaf inside of it, add 2 or 3 falafels, a spoonful of cashew nut dressing, mint yoghurt, tomato salsa and top with some fresh herbs, chopped pistachio and a couple of raisins. Fold it gently. Enjoy!

Periwinkle18
02-19-2012, 04:23 PM
OMG Li has a kitchen club y didn't anyone tell me :p i love cooking!! dont like eating much, wen i cook i dont eat :P inshaAllah will share my recipes soon :)

yummy everything looks gr8 :) jazakAllah for sharing

sister herb
02-19-2012, 04:27 PM
Salam alaykum;

thanks. We are waiting your recipes.

Soulja Girl
02-19-2012, 11:29 PM

The Water Melon Juice brings back sweet memories of last Ramadan.. Aahhh, I'm so badly cravin for it right now..

:wa:

Beardo
02-25-2012, 11:37 PM
I am going to make a strawberry kiwi smoothie:
5 strawberries
1 kiwi
Yogurt (which I froze) (which I mixed with vanilla and sugar)
Honey
Some Trpical Juice

Is that all I need? I like my smoothies thick.

How do you make your smoothies? I made an orange and grape smoothie that didnt turn out too well the other day.

Beardo
02-25-2012, 11:56 PM
Chocolate Balls

1/2 cup sugar
6 tablespoons (~100 g) butter
1 1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla sugar (if you don't have it, use regular sugar and add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract)
1 tablespoon cold coffee
3/4 to 1 cup rolled or quick-cooking oats

Some unsweetened coconut flakes
Some pearl sugar

Mix all ingredients, except the oats, together in a mixing bowl either by hand or with a wooden spoon. Add just enough oats to the mixture to allow you to form it into balls. Form the paste into 1.5-inch balls and roll them in either the coconut flakes or pearl sugar. Store the balls in a lidded container in the freezer. They're best eaten slightly thawed but still very cold.

* you can also dip balls in melted chocolate and decorate them:

I'm going to try this today, insha-Allah. What are quick-cooking oats, though? Regular Quaker Oats? And do I have to cook them or something? :S

sister herb
02-26-2012, 06:07 AM
It means those oat flakes you don´t need to cook as long as normal ones but if you haven´t them, use normal. No need to cook them first.

I wish you sweet moments.

sister herb
02-29-2012, 05:52 PM
Fried Baltic Herrings

4 portions

700 gr Baltic Herring fillets
salt
ground black or white pepper
1 dl rye flour
finely shredded dill
shredded chives
butter and oil for frying

Place half of the Baltic Herring fillets on a greaseproof paper, skin side down, and sprinkle with the salt, pepper, shredded dill and shredded chives. Place the remaining Baltic Herring fillets, skin side up, over the (skin side down) fillets. Cover the fillets on both sides with rye flour.

Fry the Baltic Herring fillets on both sides in butter and some oil, on a frying pan, until golden brown.

Beardo
04-14-2012, 01:23 AM
Here are two items I've made in the past two days, Alhamdulillah. A strawberry pie and a New York-style cheesecake!

جوري
04-14-2012, 01:55 AM
very nice very nich masha'Allah.. I am all out of reps but those two qualify for a couple of nice reps and

:haha: I too have been dabbling in baked goods of late and Crème brûlée got the torch, safety goggles and all :shade:

ILuvAllah
04-14-2012, 02:50 AM

I made this few days ago

Vegetables Paneer in Thai sauce

جوري
04-14-2012, 09:35 AM
I attempted that cheese cake and it's an epic fail hope the kids eat it today .. When I ran out of chocolate chip cookies I used nutella well that didn't pan well unfortunately but thankfully my creme brûlée and apple pie make up for that disaster .. :( can't believe Beardos came out better when in fact my initial thought was wow so easy even a kid can do it lol well that taught me ... Hats off sir you're by far the better sweet baker

:w:

Ramadan90
04-14-2012, 09:49 AM
Here are two items I've made in the past two days, Alhamdulillah. A strawberry pie and a New York-style cheesecake!

You can bet I am hungry. Give me please.

Endymion
04-14-2012, 12:03 PM
I prepared Zarda today and my bro's made nasty comments on it.Im really angry :raging:

Muhaba
04-14-2012, 01:15 PM
I am going to make a strawberry kiwi smoothie:
5 strawberries
1 kiwi
Yogurt (which I froze) (which I mixed with vanilla and sugar)
Honey
Some Trpical Juice

Is that all I need? I like my smoothies thick.

How do you make your smoothies? I made an orange and grape smoothie that didnt turn out too well the other day.
you can get vanilla yogurt from the supermarket in the US can't you so you don't need to mix vanilla in yogurt by yourself? or did they stop makin those?

Muhaba
04-14-2012, 01:19 PM
this is a great thread. i hope i can use these recepes to learn to make some delicious stuff. i'm not such a good cook. i only know how to make a few simple traditional foods. i was thinking of asking someone to teach to cook/bake some stuf but now i'll use the recipes here instead.

ILuvAllah
04-14-2012, 04:51 PM

How did you make the pictures so big?

Beardo
04-14-2012, 10:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iluv♥Allah
How did you make the pictures so big?
What do you mean. o.o I just attached them. (Although, I didn't upload them locally (so you have to uncheck that when adding a photo to your post))

GuestFellow
04-14-2012, 11:08 PM
How does the cake taste Beardo?

ILuvAllah
04-15-2012, 01:38 AM

What do you mean. o.o I just attached them. (Although, I didn't upload them locally (so you have to uncheck that when adding a photo to your post))
thanks bro. I did it :)

CosmicPathos
04-15-2012, 03:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Endymion
I prepared Zarda today and my bro's made nasty comments on it.Im really angry :raging:

zarda, you mean those sweet rice with colors? awesome. why would he make nasty comments? you put too many resins or almonds? honestly, i also dont like almonds in zarda.

btw, I feel so out of place in this thread, baerdo, how the heck you learned to even attempt to bake some stuff? why dont you make some pecan butter tarts and mail them over here?

جوري
04-15-2012, 04:05 AM
He has probably been watching Iron chef.. :hmm:

CosmicPathos
04-15-2012, 04:13 AM
... or he is secretly married, his wife made the stuff, and he claims that he made it to make us guys look useless.

جوري
04-15-2012, 04:22 AM
hmmm plausible but not scandalous enough to spice up this sweet section.. Also no guarantee a woman would churn out this quality item.. believe me I tried last night and I am ashamed to share the picture.. he probably just bought it from the store sprinkled some flour on his face and stained with chocolate his girly apron and came out with the cake on hand .. he's addicted to the praise and likes to take goofy pix of people salivating

CosmicPathos
04-15-2012, 04:26 AM
beardo, if your intention was to get us salivated, be assured you have succeeded. I am about to go and make some pan cakes with that Aunt Jemima Maple Syrup, O God.

Tilmeez
04-15-2012, 01:00 PM
I'm happy for you sunshine. This is assurance that you wont sleep hungry if someone is not there to cook for you, unlike some of other brothers here.

Endymion
04-15-2012, 01:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by CosmicPathos
zarda, you mean those sweet rice with colors? awesome. why would he make nasty comments? you put too many resins or almonds? honestly, i also dont like almonds in zarda.
Exactly,those colored sweet rice.Actually the rice got too soft and stick with each other so he named it "Zardey ka halwa" :raging: but just one hard stare made him announce them delicious :p

Endymion
04-15-2012, 01:16 PM
Im good in making sweets specially "daal ka Halwa".Here is i made days before.

sister herb
04-15-2012, 03:44 PM
Currant/Raisin Cake

200 g butter
240 ml sugar
2 eggs
400 ml coarse wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
120 ml milk
1 tbsp lemon juice
grated zest of 1 lemon
100 ml currants or chopped raisins

Rinse the currants or raisins with boiling water, drain and let dry on paper towels. Separate the egg yolks from the whites and beat the whites until stiff. Beat the soft butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the egg yolks one at a time, beating well after every addition.

Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and the currants. Stir the dry ingredients into the butter mixture, alternating with the milk. Add the lemon juice and zest, and finally gently fold in the stiffly beaten egg whites.

Pour the batter in a buttered round, rectangular or ring/tube pan and bake at 180 - 190 °C for about 40 minutes, or until a cake tester/toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean. Towards the end of baking, cover the cake with a piece of foil if the surface seems to brown too much.

Let the cake cool for a while before unmouldnig it. Place the cake on a wire rack to cool completely. Serve the cake with coffee or tea. The consistency and flavour of the cake is better on the following day.

Ramadan90
04-16-2012, 12:49 PM
We are expecting some visitors here today so I baked several cakes. Good reason for not studying tonight. ;D

'Abd Al-Maajid
04-16-2012, 12:56 PM
^ Dont forget to serve Coke!

Ramadan90
04-16-2012, 01:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd Al-Maajid
^ Dont forget to serve Coke!

PEPSI!

sister herb
04-16-2012, 02:54 PM
You two start again?

cokesmiley 1?1292867573 -

And now back to kitchen there!

sister herb
04-16-2012, 03:06 PM
Almond baskets

100 g chopped almonds
100 g butter
125 ml sugar
2 tbsp flour
1 tbsp cream
Put all the ingredients in a saucepan and heat until the butter and sugar have melted. However, do not cook the mixture.

Spread out 1 tablespoon of the batter into 10 centimetres wide disk on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Spread three more disks on the baking sheet, and no more, because the batter will spread in the oven.

Bake the disks at 175 °C for about 10 minutes or until they are golden brown. Meanwhile, take four round, small bowls or cups and turn them upside down on the table. The bottoms of the bowls will be used as moulds for the almond baskets.

When you take the disks out of the oven, they will be too soft to handle, but very soon they start to harden. As soon as this starts to happen — it will only take a few seconds — lift the disks with a spatula, place on the turned over bowls and press lightly into form of small baskets.

The baskets will harden as soon as they cool down. Work very quickly, as the disks will harden almost immediately. Repeat this with the rest of the batter.

Turn the hardened, cooled baskets around and fill with eg ice cream, fruit and/or berries, whipped cream, caramel, chocolate or fruit sauce, etc. Serve immediately, as the moist filling will quickly soften the baskets.
Makes about 8 baskets.

Additional information:
Almond baskets will remain crisp for some time if kept in an airtight container.

Haya emaan
04-16-2012, 03:43 PM
this thread isn't for me....:skeleton:

when i have to handle the kitchen my family has to eat rice without salt or salan without spices...:hiding::hiding:

Ramadan90
04-16-2012, 04:27 PM
this thread isn't for me....:skeleton:

when i have to handle the kitchen my family has to eat rice without salt or salan without spices...:hiding::hiding:
:omg:

:skeleton::skeleton:*dead*

sister herb
04-16-2012, 05:36 PM
Coca Cola Cake

2 cups unsifted flour
2 cups sugar
2 sticks margarine
1 tablespoon cocoa
1 cup coca cola
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups marshmallows, mini
1/2 cup buttermilk

Put sugar and flour into bowl.

Heat margarine, cocoa and coke to boiling point. Pour over flour mix, blend. Add Buttermilk, soda, eggs, vanilla and salt. Blend. Add marshmallows. Batter will be thin and marshmallows will float on top. Pour into greased and floured 9 X 13 pan. Bake 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.

ICING:

Icing for Coca Cola Cake

Mix 1 Box confectioners sugar
1 cup chopped nuts
1 teaspoon vanilla

Heat to boiling: 1/2 cup butter
2 tablespoon cocoa
6 tablespoon coca cola

Pour over sugar mix and blend.

Pour all over warm cake. After cake is cool - put cover on pan and wait at least one day to eat it. This makes it more moist.

;D

Ramadan90
04-16-2012, 05:53 PM
Coca Cola Cake

2 cups unsifted flour
2 cups sugar
2 sticks margarine
1 tablespoon cocoa
1 cup coca cola
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups marshmallows, mini
1/2 cup buttermilk

Put sugar and flour into bowl.

Heat margarine, cocoa and coke to boiling point. Pour over flour mix, blend. Add Buttermilk, soda, eggs, vanilla and salt. Blend. Add marshmallows. Batter will be thin and marshmallows will float on top. Pour into greased and floured 9 X 13 pan. Bake 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.

ICING:

Icing for Coca Cola Cake

Mix 1 Box confectioners sugar
1 cup chopped nuts
1 teaspoon vanilla

Heat to boiling: 1/2 cup butter
2 tablespoon cocoa
6 tablespoon coca cola

Pour over sugar mix and blend.

Pour all over warm cake. After cake is cool - put cover on pan and wait at least one day to eat it. This makes it more moist.

;D
:heated:

asiya45
04-16-2012, 06:02 PM
:omg: You guys made me hungry!!! Inshallah I will post some of my recipes as well :) .... soon

sister herb
04-16-2012, 09:07 PM
Here is some drinks to you (instead of coca cola or something like):

1. ORANGE TANG

Half Glass Orange Juice
Half Glass Lemon Juice
2 Spoon Vanilla Ice Cream
Little Crushed Ice

Churn in Mixer or you can mix them directly in a glass...

2. MINTY COOL

4 Tbsp Sugar
I Tbsp Fresh Mint
2 Tbsp fresh Pineapple Juice
¾ glass crushed ice
Drinking Soda (optional)

Crush fresh mint with 1 tsp water and strain it in a mixer. Pup pineapple and mint juice in a glass. Make it sweet by adding ground sugar into pineapple juice. Add crushed ice and fill remaining glass with drinking soda. Drink it chilled with Mint leaves garnish.

3. MELON MELODY

1 Glass Melon Juice
A pinch of salt
A pinch of black pepper
½ Spoon ground sugar
½ spoon sugar syrup

Mix all the ingredients and enjoy it with crushed ice. Stick a rig of lemon and melon on top of the glass.

4. MANGO CASCADE

½ Glass thin Mango Juice
1 Tbsp orange Juice
1 Tbsp Pineapple Juice

Take a glass First put pineapple juice, then orange juice followed by mango juice. If required you can add sugar syrup and drink it very chilled.

Ramadan90
04-16-2012, 09:21 PM
Here is some drinks to you (instead of coca cola or something like):

1. ORANGE TANG

Half Glass Orange Juice
Half Glass Lemon Juice
2 Spoon Vanilla Ice Cream
Little Crushed Ice

Churn in Mixer or you can mix them directly in a glass...

2. MINTY COOL

4 Tbsp Sugar
I Tbsp Fresh Mint
2 Tbsp fresh Pineapple Juice
¾ glass crushed ice
Drinking Soda (optional)

Crush fresh mint with 1 tsp water and strain it in a mixer. Pup pineapple and mint juice in a glass. Make it sweet by adding ground sugar into pineapple juice. Add crushed ice and fill remaining glass with drinking soda. Drink it chilled with Mint leaves garnish.

3. MELON MELODY

1 Glass Melon Juice
A pinch of salt
A pinch of black pepper
½ Spoon ground sugar
½ spoon sugar syrup

Mix all the ingredients and enjoy it with crushed ice. Stick a rig of lemon and melon on top of the glass.

4. MANGO CASCADE

½ Glass thin Mango Juice
1 Tbsp orange Juice
1 Tbsp Pineapple Juice

Take a glass First put pineapple juice, then orange juice followed by mango juice. If required you can add sugar syrup and drink it very chilled.

Much better! Thanks.;D

sister herb
04-18-2012, 07:15 PM
Not very fast but easy:

Finnish oven porridge

•2 1/2 dl pearl barley
•1/2 l water
•1 1/2 l milk
•1 tsp salt

Combine all the ingredients in a buttered oven dish.

Bake the porridge for 4-5 hours at 125 °C. Also whole oats, wheat, rice, buckwheat or millet make excellent porridge. Serve the porridge with milk or fruit sauce.

sister herb
04-25-2012, 04:46 PM
Finnish Berry Whip

2 cups (cran)berries (fresh) *
1,5 cups water
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup water
1 dash salt
1/3 cup farina

* You can use cranberries, black currants, red currants or cowberries.

Heat cranberries in 1 1/2 cups water to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer uncovered until berries pop, about 8 minutes.

Press cranberries through sieve to remove skins. return juice to saucepan. Add sugar, 1 cup water and the salt; heat to boiling.

Add farina gradually, stirring constantly. Cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 3 to 5 minutes.

Pour into small mixer bowl. Beat on high speed until pudding becomes fluffy and light pink, 3 to 5 minutes.

Serve with milk.

sister herb
04-28-2012, 07:38 AM
Rolled oats rolls

250 ml water
25 g fresh yeast
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp dark molasses
250 ml regular rolled oats
350 - 450 ml fine wheat flour
25 g butter

Dissolve the yeast in the lukewarm water. Add the salt and molasses and stir. Mix in the rolled oats and most of the flour. Finally add the softened butter. Knead the dough for a few minutes, adding more flour, if necessary. The dough will remain just slightly sticky. The kneading is most easily done with a heavy-duty tabletop mixer fitted with a dough hook.

Place the dough in a bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled in size. Knead the dough gently in the bowl, pour on a floured work surface and form into round, flat rolls, each weighing about 60 grams.

Place the rolls on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper, cover with a damp towel and let rise until doubled in size. Bake the rolls at 225 °C for about 15 minutes. Let them cool loosely covered with a towel. Serve the rolls warm with various spreads and cold cuts or use them to make hamburgers or fishburgers.

Additional information:
Before baking, you may brush the rolls with egg, milk or a mixture of dark molasses and water, and sprinkle them with rolled oats, seeds, crushed nuts, cheese etc.
Makes about 10 rolls.

sister herb
05-08-2012, 03:02 PM
Oat Porridge

This porridge is a healthy day starter and very common part of Finnish breakfast.

250 ml water
less than 100 ml regular rolled oats
pinch of salt
(pat of butter, milk, sugar/honey, berries, jam)

Although rolled oats take only about 15 minutes or less to cook, the porridge will be better if cooked for a little longer.

Bring the water to the boil in a thick-bottomed saucepan, add the rolled oats, stirring with a wire whisk. Reduce the heat to minimum and let the mixture cook for a couple of minutes, stirring continually with a wooden spoon.

Turn off the heat, cover the pan with a lid and let the porridge simmer slowly for about 30 minutes. Stir every now and then to prevent the porridge from burning on the bottom or forming a skin on the surface. Season with salt (and a pat of butter). Spoon the hot porridge on a deep plate.

You can pour milk and sugar on porridge and also use fresh berries or jam with it if you like.

sister herb
05-16-2012, 04:37 PM
Russian cream toffee sauce - Tianuchki

"Tianuchki" are soft candies of Russian origin. They are made of milk, cream or smetana and sugar cooked together and flavoured with vanilla.

Depending on its thickness, tianuchka can also be used as dessert sauce or cake filling or icing.

200 ml cream
100 ml sugar
100 ml soft brown sugar
½ vanilla bean

Place the ingredients in a thick-bottomed saucepan. Stirring continually, bring the mixture to the boil. Reduce the heat to low and continue cooking, stirring continually, until the sauce is dark honey-coloured and thickened, for about 10 - 15 minutes. Remove the vanilla bean.

Serve the sauce warm or cold to top ice cream, fresh fruit or berries, cakes, tarts etc. If the sauce gets too stiff after it has cooled down, just slowly and gently reheat it. If necessary, dilute it by adding some cream.

marwen
05-16-2012, 04:49 PM
This thread will make me fat or crazy or dead.

sister herb
05-16-2012, 05:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by marwen
This thread will make me fat or crazy or dead.

sister herb
05-17-2012, 05:21 AM
Did you know that you can make your own brown sugar?! Both dark and light varieties of brown sugar require exactly two ingredients which makes it a supremely easy and economical DIY project. Whether you need just a little brown sugar in a pinch or you want to stock up for the future, homemade is the way to go. The result is fresher and fluffier and since you made it yourself, you’ll have the peace of mind of knowing precisely what’s going into it.

Ingredients Needed

Granulated Cane Sugar
Molasses (1 Tbsp per cup of sugar)

Directions

Pour your ingredients into a medium sized bowl.
Mix them together thoroughly with a fork or mixer until there are no more clumps or globs of molasses.
Store the sugar in an airtight container or a food storage bag with the air pressed out firmly. It’s that simple!

Tips on Buying Molasses
Different kinds of molasses have different textures. Depending on what kind of molasses you’re using, you may need to adjust the recipe proportions.

Unsulphured molasses has the best flavor and consistency for making your own brown sugar. If you’re using this kind, as recommended, you’ll need 1 tablespoon of molasses for 1 cup of granulated cane sugar. For dark brown sugar, add another tablespoon.
Fancy molasses and light molasses are lighter varieties of molasses which have a subtler flavor than unsulfered, so you may need to increase the amount you use slightly (or not, if you want a lighter brown sugar).
There is a variety of molasses known as “blackstrap.” This is the most intensely flavorful and thick variety of molasses, and if you use it to make your own brown sugar, it’s likely that you’ll have to ease up on proportions much more.

sister herb
05-23-2012, 08:14 AM
New potatoes with herring

In Finland, the beginning of the new potato season in the early summer is as much an anticipated moment as the asparagus season in the central Europe.

For many Finns, nothing is better than a very simple, yet tasty dish of boiled new potatoes eaten with pickled herring, a pat of butter and a sprig of fresh dill.

A lot of care should be put in finding and buying fresh new potatoes of the highest quality. Flavour, freshness and texture of the potato are the most important factors when picking them out.

Good potatoes must be firm, ie not give back when pressed, and they should not be watery, floury or rubbery after they have been cooked. Ideally, new potatoes should be consumed as soon as they have been picked, preferably on the same day.

If you should be lucky enough to have some excellent new potatoes at hand, here is some advice for cooking them properly. Since new potatoes, especially small ones, are very delicate, it is usually best to steam them instead of cooking submerged in water.

small new potatoes — as fresh as possible
salt
large bunch of fresh dill
for serving:
pickled or marinated herring
fresh dill
butter
(salt)

Pick out potatoes of about the same size and peel them. The paper-thin peel of fresh new potatoes usually comes off easily by just rubbing the potatoes between your hands and rinsing them briefly under cold running water. You can also brush the potatoes with a vegetable brush under cold running water or scrape them with a paring knife if necessary. Cleaned, peeled new potatoes have to be cooked immediately.

To boil new potatoes:
Bring a large saucepan of water to a brisk boil. Add some salt and lots of fresh dill, but save most of the dill leaves for seasoning of the cooked potatoes. Wait for the water to come to the boil again and add the potatoes. Immediately lower the heat, the water should just gently simmer. Make sure there is enough water to cover the potatoes by a couple of centimetres.

Cover the pan with lid and cook until the potatoes are tender. The cooking time depends on the size and variety of the potatoes, but it should usually take about 15 to 20 minutes, and less, if the potatoes are very tiny (about thumb-sized). Test doneness by inserting a fork in a potato, it should sink in easily. If the potatoes are cooked for too long, they will break. However, a common mistake, practised especially by many restaurants, is to serve boiled new potatoes underdone and too hard.

To steam new potatoes:
Pour water in the lower part of a steaming pan and bring it to the boil. Add some salt. Place the potatoes in the upper part of the steamer and place inside the lower part. Preferably tuck some dill stems between the potatoes, but save most of the dill leaves for seasoning of the cooked potatoes. Cover with lid and steam until tender. Test doneness by inserting a fork in a potato, it should sink in easily. Continue with the recipe as described below.

Strain out the water and pick out and discard the now mushy dill, leaving the potatoes in the pan.

Switch off the heat and place the pan uncovered on the still warm stove plate for a couple of minutes for the excess steam to evaporate from the potatoes. You may shake the pan very gently to prevent the potatoes from burning or sticking on its bottom.

Coarsely chop the fresh dill leaves (for a quick, simple method, see here) and sprinkle on the potatoes (see the picture on above right).

Serve immediately with pickled herring, pats of butter and fresh dill sprigs.

sister herb
05-31-2012, 05:02 PM
Carrot pastries

?aviewImage&ampproductNro20134 -

pasty dough:

300 ml fine rye flour *)
pinch of salt
100 ml water
1 - 2 tbsp turnip rape oil

filling:

300 g carrots, diced
pat of butter
100 - 200 ml cream
2 egg yolks
dark molasses
pinch of salt

for brushing:

butter

Saute the carrots in butter, add the cream. Cook until the cream is almost entirely absorbed in the carrots. Puree the carrots through a food mill and let cool a bit. Add the egg yolks and season with salt and molasses — the filling should taste slightly sweet. Mix to get a smooth, not too runny paste. Cover and set aside.

Prepare the pasty dough: mix the flour and salt, add the oil and water little at a time and mix to get a firm, non-sticky dough. Divide the dough in equal-size pieces and roll them into small balls. With a tapered rolling pin, roll out the flattened balls one at a time into very thin disks, about 1 mm thick and 7 - 8 cm in diameter. (You could also try to use a pasta machine for rolling.) Cover the pie disks lightly with plastic wrap to prevent them from drying out.

Spread about ½ cm thick layer of the carrot filling evenly in the centre of the pie disks, see figure 1 below. Note: the filling must not be too runny, it should hold its shape when spread on the pie disks.

Raise the edges of the pie disks over the filling towards the centre, pinching the edges with your fingers (see figure 2) to make the pasty look like shown in figure 3.

Figure 1

Figure 2

Figure 3

Place the pasties on baking sheet covered with parchment paper and bake at 260 °C for about 7 minutes or until brown specks start to appear. Melt some butter and brush the hot pastries generously with it. Place the pasties in a large bowl, cover the bowl tightly with parchment paper and a towel, and let the pasties soften for about half an hour.

Serve the warm pasties as cocktail snacks, spread with butter. The pasties can be reheated in oven or a toaster.

*) Use rye flour milled from partly hulled rye kernels, which has a finer texture and lighter colour than regular rye flour. If this flour is unavailable, use half regular rye flour and half wheat flour.

Source: http://www.dlc.fi/~marian1/gourmet/1_6.htm

sister herb
06-04-2012, 02:52 PM
Garlic bread

1 loaf of Italian bread or French bread
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
2 large cloves of garlic, smashed and minced
1 heaping tablespoon of freshly chopped parsley
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional)

1 Preheat oven to 350°F/175C.

2 Cut the bread in half, horizontally. Mix the butter, garlic, and parsley together in a small bowl. Spread butter mixture over the the two bread halves. Place on a sturdy baking pan (one that can handle high temperatures, not a cookie sheet) and heat in the oven for 10 minutes.

3 Remove pan from oven. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over bread if you want. Return to oven on the highest rack. Broil on high heat for 2-3 minutes until the edges of the bread begin to toast and the cheese (if you are using cheese) bubbles. Watch very carefully while broiling. The bread can easily go from un-toasted to burnt.

4 Remove from oven, let cool a minute. Remove from pan and make 1-inch/2,5 cm thick slices. Serve immediately.

Ar-RaYYan
06-04-2012, 03:26 PM
I cant wait til next week when I break for the summer! I'm going to try at least several of the amazing recipes posted here Insha'Allah! Especially now that Ramadhan is approaching :statisfie

sister herb
06-04-2012, 03:36 PM
Salam alaykum;

have a nice (and tasty) summer to you

Here is one recipe I got from friend. Very easy but only risk is you will eat all at the same time you are making them...

Cheesecake Stuffed Strawberries

Ingredients:
1 lb large strawberries
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/4 - 1/2 cup powdered sugar (depending on how sweet you want it)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 - 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs

Instructions:
1. Rinse strawberries and cut around the top of the strawberry. Remove the top and clean out with a paring knife, if necessary (some of them are hollow already. Prep all of the strawberries and set aside.
2. In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla until creamy. Add cream cheese mix to a piping bag or Ziploc with the corner snipped off. Fill the strawberries with cheesecake mixture.
3. Once strawberries are filled, sprinkle or dip the tops with graham cracker crumbs. If not serving immediately, refrigerate until serving.

Variation:

I've used lemon extract and added sour cream with nutmeg to the cream cheese and powdered sugar........mmmmmmm!

Haya emaan
06-04-2012, 03:54 PM
Garlic bread
last week i burnt my fingers while baking these garlic breads...:hmm:

sister herb
06-04-2012, 04:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Haya emaan

last week i burnt my fingers while baking these garlic breads...:hmm:

to your fingers.

Pure Purple
06-04-2012, 04:52 PM
ew potatoes with herring

In Finland, the beginning of the new potato season in the early summer is as much an anticipated moment as the asparagus season in the central Europe.

For many Finns, nothing is better than a very simple, yet tasty dish of boiled new potatoes eaten with pickled herring, a pat of butter and a sprig of fresh dill.

A lot of care should be put in finding and buying fresh new potatoes of the highest quality. Flavour, freshness and texture of the potato are the most important factors when picking them out.

Good potatoes must be firm, ie not give back when pressed, and they should not be watery, floury or rubbery after they have been cooked. Ideally, new potatoes should be consumed as soon as they have been picked, preferably on the same day.

If you should be lucky enough to have some excellent new potatoes at hand, here is some advice for cooking them properly. Since new potatoes, especially small ones, are very delicate, it is usually best to steam them instead of cooking submerged in water.

small new potatoes — as fresh as possible
salt
large bunch of fresh dill
for serving:
pickled or marinated herring
fresh dill
butter
(salt)

Pick out potatoes of about the same size and peel them. The paper-thin peel of fresh new potatoes usually comes off easily by just rubbing the potatoes between your hands and rinsing them briefly under cold running water. You can also brush the potatoes with a vegetable brush under cold running water or scrape them with a paring knife if necessary. Cleaned, peeled new potatoes have to be cooked immediately.

To boil new potatoes:
Bring a large saucepan of water to a brisk boil. Add some salt and lots of fresh dill, but save most of the dill leaves for seasoning of the cooked potatoes. Wait for the water to come to the boil again and add the potatoes. Immediately lower the heat, the water should just gently simmer. Make sure there is enough water to cover the potatoes by a couple of centimetres.

Cover the pan with lid and cook until the potatoes are tender. The cooking time depends on the size and variety of the potatoes, but it should usually take about 15 to 20 minutes, and less, if the potatoes are very tiny (about thumb-sized). Test doneness by inserting a fork in a potato, it should sink in easily. If the potatoes are cooked for too long, they will break. However, a common mistake, practised especially by many restaurants, is to serve boiled new potatoes underdone and too hard.

To steam new potatoes:
Pour water in the lower part of a steaming pan and bring it to the boil. Add some salt. Place the potatoes in the upper part of the steamer and place inside the lower part. Preferably tuck some dill stems between the potatoes, but save most of the dill leaves for seasoning of the cooked potatoes. Cover with lid and steam until tender. Test doneness by inserting a fork in a potato, it should sink in easily. Continue with the recipe as described below.

Strain out the water and pick out and discard the now mushy dill, leaving the potatoes in the pan.

Switch off the heat and place the pan uncovered on the still warm stove plate for a couple of minutes for the excess steam to evaporate from the potatoes. You may shake the pan very gently to prevent the potatoes from burning or sticking on its bottom.

Coarsely chop the fresh dill leaves (for a quick, simple method, see here) and sprinkle on the potatoes (see the picture on above right).

Serve immediately with pickled herring, pats of butter and fresh dill sprigs.
Mouth watering dishes.
Ingredient will not be available.
what is dill?

glo
06-04-2012, 05:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pure Purple

Mouth watering dishes.
what is dill?
Dill is a herb often used with fish or in pickles.

The seeds can also be used in cooking.

sister herb
06-04-2012, 05:09 PM
Dill - Anethum graveolens

More: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dill

Abu Zainab
06-05-2012, 07:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pure Purple
Mouth watering dishes.
what is dill?
Dill is "soya" in Urdu (at least in Hyderabadi Urdu :))

Pure Purple
06-05-2012, 04:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abu Zainab
Dill is "soya" in Urdu (at least in Hyderabadi Urdu )
I searched in Google...
Results showing bollywood movie songs links.:heated:

sister herb
06-15-2012, 05:21 AM
Chocolate cups

Funny way to make them.

Be creative!

And fill them as you like.

Periwinkle18
06-15-2012, 02:54 PM
Yummy I want

Muhaba
06-15-2012, 05:13 PM
my own cake recipe that works well:

1 tbsp baking powder
1 beaten egg
3/4 cup sugar
1.5 cups flour
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup peanuts or other nuts

put baking powder in the water & mix. Add beaten egg and sugar. mix well. then add flour and milk and stir to make pasty batter. afterward add nuts. leave aside overnight to rise. preheat oven for 1/2 an hour then bake for 1/2 hour.

sister herb
06-30-2012, 02:27 PM
Strawberry Soup

½ liter strawberries
8 dl water
1½ dl sugar
4 tablespoon potato flours

Heat in kettle starwberries, water and sugar boiled.
Move kettle away from stove.
Mix potato flour and 1 dl water together, pour to soup like thin "ribbon" stirring all the time.
Move back to stove and let it boil up just a little.
Pour to bowl and add some sugar over it.

Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.

Beardo
07-07-2012, 12:24 PM
I made chocolate mousse today. Simple:
100g dark chocolate
1 egg
1/4 cup sugar
thick cream (to taste, I usually put like 400ml)
2 tsp water

Melt the chocolate. You can microwave it with butter or steam it in a bowl over hot water until it melts. Put aside to cool.

Beat the eggs. In 2 tsp hot water, make a syrup with 1/4 cup sugar. Beat it in the eggs. Then beat this with the chocolate. Put it in the thick/heavy cream and then put it in the fridge to cool.

My brother says this is the best thing I made, and that's after I made orange chicken, lemon chicken, buffalo wings, vanilla cake, and so much more. -___-

Abu Zainab
07-07-2012, 12:28 PM
^ I wish I had a brother like you :thumbs_up

Scimitar
07-08-2012, 01:38 PM

I haven't heard anyone say Sumbusa for a long time... that's proper Gujurati way, and those are Guji sambusas :D now I want some!

Periwinkle18
07-08-2012, 05:42 PM
Haha we call it Samosa :)

Haya emaan
07-09-2012, 12:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar

I haven't heard anyone say Sumbusa for a long time... that's proper Gujurati way, and those are Guji sambusas :D now I want some!
it is called sambusa in gujrati ? isnt sambusa an arabic word for samosa..^o)

and how did you recognized its guji sambusas.. :p are they different in any way? i have always thought they are same as others...

sister herb
07-09-2012, 01:01 PM
I like Somalian sambosas... tasty.

Snowflake
07-09-2012, 11:33 PM
I just couldn't believe my eyes when a relative brought round this samosa for a treat today! It's called King Samosa and really was bigger than my dinner plates. Since it made my plate look like tiny saucer I placed a 2Ltr pepsi bottle next to it to show you exactly how big it was. No one can finish it by themselves lol ;D

The good news is that it was full of succulent meat and the pastry was more like a soft naan than a crispy samosa. Really nice masha Allah :)

Endymion
07-10-2012, 02:27 PM
lol OMG really a big one ;D I want to have it with my evening tea :playing:

Snowflake
07-10-2012, 04:08 PM
^LOL. I think they should change the name as it's not strictly a samosa samosa. :/:

Endymion
07-10-2012, 04:19 PM
I wish i could have a admirer like you :exhausted When i was new in Samosa making,i made its son,almost half or a little bigger of this daddy samosa and my bro's made so much fun of it :raging:

Abdul-Raouf
07-10-2012, 04:56 PM
99.9999%.... I get into this thread... just to see photos.pics.... :)

Endymion
07-10-2012, 05:56 PM
And you think i read the recipes :X Guess you are the guy who is bad at cooking.I always mix up you and Ibn Abdul Hakim :hmm:

Abdul-Raouf
07-11-2012, 02:06 PM
No its not me.. for sure.

(Not cos I am gud at it.. but Cos I have never told about my kitchen in here :hmm:)

Endymion
07-11-2012, 03:48 PM
:mmokay:

sister herb
07-11-2012, 06:25 PM
I think this is kind of "Finnish version of sambosa/samosa":

Meat pastries

pasty dough:

about 360 g flour
about 200 ml (180 g) water or milk
10 g fresh yeast
10 g sugar
salt
filling:
500 g ground beef
90 g onion
50 ml short grain rice
(120 g smetana or sour cream)
salt
white pepper
butter
for glazing and dipping:
1 egg
milk
butter

Start making the dough by putting the flour, the liquid and the crumbled yeast into the mixing bowl of a heavy-duty tabletop mixer fitted with a dough hook. Knead for 13 minutes, add the salt and sugar and knead for 2 minutes more. The dough will be quite firm. Let the dough rise, tightly covered, until doubled in size.

Meanwhile, prepare the filling. Cook the rice until tender and drain thoroughly. Fry the ground beef in a skillet on high heat, until all the moisture has evaporated. Season with salt and pepper. Chop the onion very finely and sauté in butter until tender and translucent.

Combine the meat, rice, onion and smetana. Smetana makes the filling juicier, but it may be omitted. If you like, add some chopped hard-boiled egg, fresh herbs, garlic or other spices to the filling.

Punch down and knead the dough on the work surface and then let it rest for 5 - 6 minutes to relax the gluten. Divide the dough into 10 equal-sized pieces and roll them into balls. One at a time, roll out the balls into flat disks, about 15 centimetres in diameter.

Take one dough disk, place a small pat of butter on the centre of it (butter can be omitted) and about 55 grams of filling on top. Pinch the edges of the disk together firmly to make a closed, oval pasty. Fill the rest of the dough disks.

Place the pasties seam side down on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Cover the pasties with a damp towel and let rise for 15 - 20 minutes. Brush the pasties with egg, prick with a fork and bake at 225 °C for 15 - 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat about 150 millilitres of milk in a saucepan, add a big lump of butter and let it melt. Submerge the piping hot pasties one at a time briefly in the hot milk-butter mixture, tilting the pan if necessary. You can use barbecue tongs to dip the pasties. Place the pasties in one layer on a large plate. Cover the plate tightly with parchment paper and a towel and let the pasties soften for about half an hour.

large?1297429000 -

Musaafirah
07-11-2012, 07:34 PM
Is this generally for what you've cooked, along with an image and recipe?
In that case, how do I attach images.
(BTW, long time no see...How is everyone?)

sister herb
07-18-2012, 01:40 PM
Lemonade Cucumber Spa Popsicles

makes 3 cups of popsicle mix

NOTES:
•These spa pops are a healthier & more cost efficient alternative to store bought pops. More eco too, no packaging to toss!
•As always, use your own taste buds to determine how sweet you want your ice pops.

INGREDIENTS
•1 cup grated Cucumber
•1 fresh squeezed Lemon, remove any seeds
•2 cups cold Water
•Natural Sweetener added to taste: use your favorite (Maple Syrup, Honey & Agave are good too)

METHOD

Slice lemon in half and squeeze it over a strainer into 2 cups of cold water. Sweeten lemon water to taste with your favorite sweetener. Fill popsicle molds 2/3 with lemonade. Freeze uncovered for about 1 hour. Take pops out of freezer. Scrape and stir any ice crystals that have formed. Add a spoonful of the cucumber to the pop molds. Be sure to leave a tiny bit of room at the top of your popsicle mold so they don’t overflow when you add the stick. With a popsicle stick or a butter knife, press the cucumber into the mixture so it is evenly distributed. Add your popsicle sticks, freeze pops for another 3-4 hours until solid.

Kei
07-19-2012, 04:18 PM
Sister Harb, you've uploaded so many great recipes! :)
I can't wait to try some of these ;D

sister herb
07-19-2012, 04:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kei
Sister Harb, you've uploaded so many great recipes! :)
I can't wait to try some of these ;D
You are welcome dear to make them. Hopely they are tasty.

:statisfie

Innocent Soul
07-20-2012, 12:46 PM
I think sister harb should also start a cooking blog :) and post all the recipies there. Inshallah it will become very famous. :P

If you already have a blog then please post the link. :D

syed1
07-22-2012, 10:56 PM
Guys : Please post recipes for iftar ideas !!!

sister herb
07-23-2012, 02:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syed1
Guys : Please post recipes for iftar ideas !!!

echo
07-24-2012, 06:15 AM
:sl: There's some nice recipes in this thread,yummy. Gonna definitely try them (:

Al-bint
07-24-2012, 10:34 AM

great thread! gonna come in handy for ramadhan... Well i could have posted some of the recipes i know but I wonder if anyone here likes to use much of oil or red chilli..? see our native dishes usually contain a lot of both... :phew
thanks for all the recipes posted here. today I am gonna try the Lemonade Cucumber Spa Popsicles insha Allahcoz its hot here!

wasalaam!

Hulk
07-24-2012, 11:04 AM
Too many good food for iftar these past few days.. cutting back lol..

Haya emaan
07-25-2012, 07:35 PM
assalam o alaikum

some thing like cheese balls..:p made them for iftari..

sister herb
07-27-2012, 02:25 PM
Avocado-Corn-Salsa

Recipe Ingredients:

1/2 avocado, diced
1/2 cup thawed frozen corn kernels
1 tomato, chopped
2 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
Lime juice, to taste
Salt, to taste
Recipe Steps:

Combine avocado, corn, tomato and cilantro in a small bowl. Add lime juice and salt to taste.

sister herb
07-27-2012, 02:28 PM
Spicy Tomato Salad

Tomato salad makes a colorful accompaniment to many dishes. This recipe has a
delicious spicy flavor and makes an excellent salad for a picnic or
buffet. It is also suitable for vegans and will suit anyone on a
meat-free or diary-free diet.

Ingredients: (Serves 4)

4 large ripe tomatoes

1 small fresh red chili

1 garlic clove

1 oz/25 g fresh basil

4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1 tablespoon lemon juice

2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

Salt and pepper

Fresh crusty bread, to serve

To garnish:

Fresh basil sprigs

Lemon wedges

Method:

Bring a tea kettle of water to a boil. Place the tomatoes in a heatproof
bowl, then pour over enough boiling water to cover them. Let them soak
for 2-4 minutes, then lift out of the water and cool slightly. When the
tomatoes are cool enough to handle, gently pierce the skins with the tip
of a knife. The skins should now be easy to remove. Discard the skins,
then chop the tomatoes and place them in a large salad bowl.

Seed and finely chop the chili, then chop the garlic. Rinse and finely chop
the basil, then add it to the tomatoes in the bowl with the chili and
the garlic. Mix the oil, lemon juice, and balsamic vinegar together in a
separate bowl, then season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour the
mixture over the salad and toss together well. Garnish with basil sprigs
and lemon wedges, and serve immediately with fresh crusty bread.

Serendipity
07-27-2012, 03:21 PM
not good to see this thread when fasting

Hulk
07-27-2012, 03:38 PM
lol don't open the thread when you're fasting

sister herb
07-29-2012, 11:45 AM
Honey and Fruit Smoothie

Ingredients:
Honey, 5 tablespoons
Ripe mangoes (Peeled and Chopped), 2
Ripe Bananas (Peeled and Chopped), 2
Ice cubes (Crushed), 8 to 10
Yoghurt, 2 cups
Lemon Juice, 2 tablespoon
Fresh Mint Leaves, to garnish

Procedure:
Refrigerate the mango and banana slices for about an hour.
Once the fruits are frozen, place the fruits, yoghurt and honey in a blender.
Blend everything until the consistency is smooth.
To the mixture, add the crushed ice cubes and blend again.
Pour into individual glasses and garnish the smoothie with mint springs.
The Honey and Fruit Smoothie is ready to be served!

sister herb
07-29-2012, 12:39 PM
Galinha à Zambeziana (Chicken Zambezia)

From Mozambique’s Zambezia province comes this spicy-hot chicken with coconut milk.

Ingredients
1 cup strained fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
1 teaspoon finely crumbled dried hot red chillies
2 teaspoons salt
two 2- to 2½-pound chickens, each split into halves and the small protruding breastbones flattened with the side of a cleaver
2 tablespoons olive oil
1½ cup fresh coconut milk made from 1½ cups coarsely chopped coconut and 1½ cups hot water

Directions
Combine the lemon juice, garlic, chilies and salt in a large, shallow glass or enameled baking dish. Add the chickens and spoon the lemon mixture evenly over them. Marinate at room temperature for about 2 hours or in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, basting and turning the chickens over from time to time.

Preheat the broiler to its highest setting. Pat the pieces of Chicken dry with paper towels and arrange them skin side down on the rack of the broiling pan. Combine the oil with ½ cup of the coconut milk and brush about 2 tablespoons of the mixture evenly over the chickens.

Broil 4 inches from the heat for 5 minutes, baste with another 2 tablespoons of the oil mixture, and broil 8 to 10 minutes longer. With tongs, turn the chickens over, then baste them again and broil for about 10 minutes, basting them once or twice. To test for doneness, pierce the thigh with the point of a sharp knife. The juice that trickles out should be clear yellow; if it is still slightly pink, broil the chickens for another 2 or 3 minutes.

Transfer the chickens to a heated serving platter and drape loosely with foil to keep them warm. Pour the juices from the bottom of the broiling pan into a small skillet. Add any remaining basting liquid and the reserved cup of coconut milk. Stirring constantly, cook over low heat for 4 or 5 minutes, until the sauce is thoroughly heated. Do not let the coconut milk come to a boil or it may curdle. Taste for seasoning. Pour the sauce into a sauceboat and serve it separately with the Chicken.

serves 4 -6

Hulk
08-02-2012, 10:09 AM
Iftar: Homemade chicken nuggets!

Ingredients:
1 Chicken Breast (about 300 grams)
Breadcrumbs (60 grams)------------------ I didn't have any so I took about 60 grams of my "Post's Lightly Frosted Shredded Wheat" cereal and crushed them till they were a powder-like state.
Powdered seasonings of choice
1 Egg White
Olive oil (or other oils up to you)

Step one: Measure about 60 grams of bread crumbs and then mix put them into a bowl. If you are like me and don't have any breadcrumbs you can crush up some wheat-like cereals you have till they are in powder forms and use it just the same. If you want to make your own breadcrumbs, you can put some slices of bread in the oven for a few minutes till they are stiff then blend them until they are powdery form as well.

Step two: Once you have the breadcrumbs ready, it's time to add the seasonings of your choice into the mix. Whether it is pepper, salt, etc it is up to you. For me personally I used Chilli Powder, Lemon Black Pepper, Parmesan Cheese, Mrs Dash Original Seasoning Blend. I mix them all well and good with the breadcrumbs.

Step three: Crack the egg, separate the yolk from the whites. We are only going to use the whites. Whip the egg a bit and set it aside.

Step four: Cut up the chicken breasts into smaller bite sized pieces. Note that the smaller they are the faster they will cook. Before cutting them up I would poke holes in them so that the heat can enter easier but if you don't want to do that it's ok..

Step five: After cutting up the breasts into smaller pieces, take one and coat it in the egg white and then bathe it in the powder you made just now. Make sure to get as much surface area you can get. Do this on all the piece one at a time.

Step six: Depending on how you want to cook them, if you wish to fry then put a little bit (or a lot if you want) of oil into the pan and start cooking it just as you would any other nuggets! If you wish to bake, then make sure you put a bit of oil on the baking tray before you place your nuggets there. Bake for about 10 minutes then take it out to flip them over then bake it again for another 10!

The End

Note: It's up to you what kind of sauce you want, personally I used Fine Wholegrain Mustard. Note that I am NOT a regular cooking guy, if you are a regular cook at home and you think something should be done in a different way then feel free to adjust it!

sister herb
08-02-2012, 12:18 PM
Recipe too, please.

Hulk
08-02-2012, 01:03 PM
Recipe too, please.
Ok sis, i've added it :statisfie

sister herb
08-15-2012, 04:16 PM
Cheese baked in owen

6 dl water
4 dl powdered milk
1/2 tbsp salt
2 eggs

Mix everything on the bowl. Pour it to buttered pan. Bake at the owen +175 celcius 35 - 40 minutes.

Serve with jam or fresh berries.

Kei
08-16-2012, 03:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hulk
Iftar: Homemade chicken nuggets!
Made this last night with white fish fillets, really delicious! Goes great with noodles and Teriyaki sauce ;D

Hulk
08-17-2012, 12:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kei
Made this last night with white fish fillets, really delicious! Goes great with noodles and Teriyaki sauce
Oooh lovely combination!!!!! :statisfie

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!