/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Let's expand our English vocabulary!

Asiyah3
05-30-2011, 06:56 PM
:sl:

List here the English words you don't know the meaning of. For example, I am reading an article, I see the word "lucrative" and I don't know it's meaning. According to a dictionary site it means profitable.

It is preferable you mention the meaning along with the word. It's not a must though.

So here we start:

Lucrative, which means profitable.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
al yunan
05-30-2011, 07:19 PM
Walaikum assalam sister,

Let's expand our English vocabulary! ok ENNNNNNNNGLLLLLLLLiiiiiSHHHHHH a literal request and compliance !

Literal : to follow a meaning directly rather than its intended meaning (as shown in above example)

Masalam

Cabdullahi
05-30-2011, 07:21 PM
Pulchritudinous : beautiful

Asiyah3
05-30-2011, 08:07 PM
interlocutor
evasive
cultivation
ambiguity
euphoria - a state of intense happiness

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
IAmZamzam
05-31-2011, 12:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by al yunan
Literal : to follow a meaning directly rather than its intended meaning (as shown in above example)
Nice try but NO ONE means the word "literally" when they say it anymore. Not even nonliterally. It's just punctuation now. At least in America.

Lately I've been trying to make myself clear on the difference between "converse", "inverse", and "reverse". So far the only reliable guides I've found on the net have been restricted to narrow academic jargon instead of the basic universal differences in the King's English. (In academia and science words always mean something more specific, and often even different, than what they mean elsewhere.) They're the three different things people can mean by the word "opposite" but beyond that I eternally get them mixed up.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!