/* */

PDA

View Full Version : A Collection of Aayaat and Ahaadeeth regarding Seeking Knowledge

nooralhaqq
05-31-2011, 02:58 PM
Assalaamu ‘alaykum warahmatullaahi wa barakaatuhu,

I thought it would be nice in one of my first posts to contribute something to this part of the forum.

Here are a collection of aayaat and ahaadeeth regarding seeking knowledge, with a few brief comments on some of the aayaat. I ask Allaah to make them of benefit.

Allāh, the Exalted, said:

“and say, ‘My Lord, increase me in knowledge.’” [Taha 19:114]

Reflect that if the Messenger of Allāh (peace be upon him), who was given more knowledge than any other human being, was asked to supplicate to Allāh to increase him in knowledge, then we, as his followers, are even more in need of doing so. Reflect that of all of the supplications that the Messenger of Allāh (peace be upon him) was asked to make, increasing in knowledge was given such a high priority.

He also said:

“Is one who is devoutly obedient during periods of the night, prostrating and standing [in prayer], fearing the Hereafter and hoping for the mercy of his Lord, [like one who does not]? Say, ‘Are those who know equal to those who do not know?’ Only they will remember [who are] people of understanding.” [Az-Zumar 39:9]

Reflect upon the link between knowledge and action, and that knowledge without action is a source of punishment, whereas knowledge and action are a source of Allāh’s pleasure.

He also said:

“And it is not for the believers to go forth [to battle] all at once. For there should separate from every division of them a group [remaining] to obtain understanding in the religion and warn their people when they return to them that they might be cautious.” [At-Tawbah 9:122]

Reflect upon the importance of jihād to the Muslims and yet despite its importance, proper provision should always be made for a group of people to seek knowledge. Reflect upon the importance of knowledge and those who seek it, and the importance of knowledge in correcting the society.

He also said:

“It is He who has sent down to you, [O Muhammad], the Book; in it are verses [that are] precise - they are the foundation of the Book - and others unspecific. As for those in whose hearts is deviation [from truth], they will follow that of it which is unspecific, seeking discord and seeking an interpretation [suitable to them]. And no one knows its [true] interpretation except Allah . But those firm in knowledge say, "We believe in it. All [of it] is from our Lord." And no one will be reminded except those of understanding.”

Reflect upon what saves the people on the right path from deviation of the hearts? What saves people from being misguided, separated, and in a state of discord? It is being firmly grounded in knowledge.

Abu Hurayra (may Allah be pleased with him) said that the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said:

“Whoever Allah wants good for, He gives him understanding of the religion”

Dawood bin Jameel narrates from Katheer bin Qays that he said:

“I was sitting with Abu Ad-Dardaa’ (may Allah be pleased with him) in the Mosque in Damascus when a man came to him and said: ‘O Abu Ad-Dardaa’ I have come to you from Madinah, the city of the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) for the sake of a hadith that you narrate from the Prophet (peace be upon him).’ Abu Ad-Dardaa’ said: ‘You didn’t come for business?’. He replied: ‘No’. Abu Ad-Dardaa’ said: ‘You didn’t come for any other reason?’. He replied: ‘No’. Abu Ad-Dardaa’ said: “Indeed I heard the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) say: ‘Whoever seeks out a path to acquire knowledge [of the religion], Allah makes his path to Jannah easy, and indeed the angels lower their wings because of their pleasure at the student of knowledge, and indeed everything in the heavens and the earth seek forgiveness for the student of knowledge [note: the most common wording of this hadith is: for the scholar], even the fish in the sea. And the virtue of a scholar in comparison to a [ordinary] worshipper, is like the virtue of the moon, in comparison to the stars – the inheritance of the Prophets, and indeed the Prophets don’t leave deenars and dirhams as inheritance, but they leave knowledge, so whoever takes it, has taken a great portion’

It is narrated that Abu Hurayrah came to the market place when he stopped and said:

“O people of the market! How feeble you are!” They replied: “Why is that?” He said: “The inheritance of the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) is being shared out and you are all here, won’t you go and take your share of it!” They said: “Where is it?” He replied: “In the masjid.” So they left in a rush and Abu Hurayrah waited for them until they returned, then he said to them: “What’s the matter?” They said: “O Abu Hurayrah! We came and we entered the masjid and we didn’t see anything being shared out.” So Abu Hurayrah said to them: “Didn’t you see anyone there at all?” They said: “We did. We saw people praying, and people reading the Qur’aan, and people studying about the halaal and haraam.” So Abu Hurayrah said to them: “Woe to you! That was the inheritance of Muhammad (peace be upon him).”

Zirr bin Hubaysh said:

“I came to Safwaan bin ‘Assaal Al-Muraadee (may Allah be pleased with him), and he said: “Why did you come?” I said: “I came to seek knowledge”. He said: “I heard the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) say: ‘There is no one who leaves his house to seek knowledge, except that the Angels lower their wings in humility out of pleasure for what he is doing.’”

Abu Hurayrah said:

“I heard the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) say: ‘Whoever comes to my masjid, and the only reason for him coming is to learn or teach some good, he is in the position of a mujaahid, who fights in the cause of Allah. And whoever comes for something else, he is in the position of a man who looking at someone else’s property.”

Wassalaamu ‘alaykum warahmatullaahi wa barakaatuhu,

Noor Al-Haqq

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!