/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Can a Muslim

truthseeker63
06-02-2011, 06:20 PM
Can a Muslim go up to a Homeless person or a Poor person or a group of poor persons and give them money does this count as Sadaqah ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charity_(practice)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
May Ayob
06-02-2011, 06:38 PM
Salaam Peace be to you
No offence but is this even a question??:D
OFCOURSE a muslim is more than encouraged to care about their brothers and sister in Islam and humanity!!
Dont hesistate there is no good you will do in this world that Allah swt will not accept Go ahead !!
If you can even offer them a job it would be even a better thing to do!
Money, Clothing, Food, a smile , a kind word , any means of support wether financially or emotionally is all counted as sadaqah that Islam highly recommends and Allah will reward you with that which is best.

I hope more and more people give you replies
I give you the green card help everyone in need no matter what :)
I hope this helped.

Salaam

al yunan
06-02-2011, 11:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by truthseeker63
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charity_(practice)

Shaikh Google strikes out ?

It is hard to inform to the Undisclosed.

Ghazalah
06-03-2011, 06:23 PM
Sometimes when you see homeless people on the streets then instead of giving them money, give them food instead, because if you give them money they can go and then spend on haraam stuff (alcohol, drugs etc) but feeding them would be a better option in my opinion.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Perseveranze
06-03-2011, 06:37 PM
I feel too guilty to not (whenever I walk past one), whatever change I have I usually give. Pretty sure I got that from Islam's teachings.

sister herb
06-03-2011, 06:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ghazalah
Sometimes when you see homeless people on the streets then instead of giving them money, give them food instead, because if you give them money they can go and then spend on haraam stuff (alcohol, drugs etc) but feeding them would be a better option in my opinion.
I try to make same if I have any money as ask are you hungry? Can I buy you meal in some place here? Or if he needs some social service I advice him to local office (as I am working in social service office by myself).

:hmm: Money I never give.

Anyways I feel sad see kind of people on street.

Who Am I?
06-03-2011, 07:59 PM
Years ago, in my atheist days, I had a homeless guy approach me once. He asked for money so he could eat, so I asked him, "If I give you this, are you really going to use it for food, or are you just going to get drunk?" He hesitated for a minute, and then tried to stammer out that he was really getting food.

I told him "Look man, we all need a drink every now and then. Just be honest with me." So again he hesitated, and then finally admitted that he wanted a drink.

So I gave him a few dollars for his honesty.

Then I went home and got drunk myself in solidarity.

May Ayob
06-03-2011, 08:17 PM
, because if you give them money they can go and then spend on haraam stuff (alcohol, drugs etc) but feeding them would be a better option in my opinion.
Salaam Sis but sorry i have to disagree with you , because this is not a way of preventing people from doing harmfull things, havent you heard the hadith about the man who gave sadaqah charity to a theif, then a prostitute , and then a man who is pretty much well of, and the man thought that all his sadaqahs went in vain but Allah swt gave glad tidings through an angel that on the three cases his sadaqah was accpeted because he prevented the woman from commiting zina- fornication that day for money, it taught the rich man to be more modest and it prevented the theif from commiting robbery. There will always be a benefit.
Give them support it doesnt always have to be materialistic or financial treat them as a espected human being it isnt their choice anyway and i'm sure they would never reject the idea of getting their life better so no need to say that oh if we give them money all what their going to do is buy drugs and alcohol how do you know? are you aware of the unseen? please put your self in their shoes i dont think you would like someone talking about you like that if you were in the same situation.

Salaam i hope i didnt offend you , and if i did then i am sorry this was not my intentions.

sister herb
06-03-2011, 08:40 PM
In my town; if I know asker is muslim I give money if I have as I know they need it for halal purposes and also pay back when they ever can. Others I ask may I buy you something you need.

Ghazalah
06-03-2011, 09:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by May Ayob
Salaam Sis but sorry i have to disagree with you , because this is not a way of preventing people from doing harmfull things, havent you heard the hadith about the man who gave sadaqah charity to a theif, then a prostitute , and then a man who is pretty much well of, and the man thought that all his sadaqahs went in vain but Allah swt gave glad tidings through an angel that on the three cases his sadaqah was accpeted because he prevented the woman from commiting zina- fornication that day for money, it taught the rich man to be more modest and it prevented the theif from commiting robbery. There will always be a benefit.
Give them support it doesnt always have to be materialistic or financial treat them as a espected human being it isnt their choice anyway and i'm sure they would never reject the idea of getting their life better so no need to say that oh if we give them money all what their going to do is buy drugs and alcohol how do you know? are you aware of the unseen? please put your self in their shoes i dont think you would like someone talking about you like that if you were in the same situation.

Salaam i hope i didnt offend you , and if i did then i am sorry this was not my intentions.
Wslm, I'm not saying if they're non-Muslim don't give them money, nor am I saying if they spend it on haraam things then your Sadaqah won't be accepted. My point was, giving a homeless person food, will benefit them much much more than giving them money and they go and spend it on haraam things which will not benefit them, do you see my point? InshAllah making the intention right in both scenarios Allah SWT shall accept it, but beneficial wise giving them food would be better than giving money and assuming they will spend it on haraam things. And if I put myself in a homeless persons shoes I would defiantly be happy if someone brought me food. :)

Ramadhan
06-04-2011, 03:00 AM
There are many children beggars in the streets in jakarta, and those children are usually employed by adults who are too lazy to work. I am always conflicted whether to give them money because I know that the money will be collected by those evil lazy adults, but whenever I have food with me, I give them the food instead, or when I am in a store going to buy something, I'd ask them if they need anything, and I'll buy from the store for them, usually food or drink.
And they seem to look much more happy than if I'd given them the money.

ardianto
06-04-2011, 04:36 AM
Discussion about sadaqah always remind me to a story from an Indonesian who went hajj.

In Saudi airport before he back to Indonesia, he saw an old man sat on the floor, wore old dress and look hungry. He thought "Oh, a homeless, I must give him sadaqah". Then he gave that old man Saudi Riyal to buy food. But that old man smile, gave "No, thank" sign with his hand, and showed his pocket that full of US Dollars.

May Ayob
06-04-2011, 11:15 AM
Wslm, I'm not saying if they're non-Muslim don't give them money, nor am I saying if they spend it on haraam things then your Sadaqah won't be accepted. My point was, giving a homeless person food, will benefit them much much more than giving them money and they go and spend it on haraam things which will not benefit them, do you see my point? InshAllah making the intention right in both scenarios Allah SWT shall accept it, but beneficial wise giving them food would be better than giving money and assuming they will spend it on haraam things. And if I put myself in a homeless persons shoes I would defiantly be happy if someone brought me foo

Salaam sis , i understand your point what i was saying is that you cant garuntee that they will spend it in haraam things can you?
Also sure food will be a great thing im not despising it but theres a beuatiful saying that says - it is better to teach me fishing than to buy me a fish every day.
What i learnt from this saying is that if you really care about a human bieng then you would help them be independant and give them an opportunity in this world , rather then making them dependant on you by giving them fish on a daily basis.

Thank you for your tolerance, We're still sisters in Islam and sisters in humanity :)

Riana17
06-04-2011, 12:20 PM
salam

I have a question

the thing is that I know many poor people through other friends. Is it better to help them or give the money to Islamic institution

I have doubt bcoz when we help we shouldnt have witness except Allah but then I cannot reach that people except through my friends.

al yunan
06-04-2011, 01:10 PM
Salam to sisters May Ayob and Ghazalah,

I would like to share with both of you a story I've heard:

Aisha r.a had a visitor that she was talking with when a beggar game to her door to ask for food, she went and got some bread which she gave to him.
Some time later another beggar came by and this time she offered the man a piece of meat as well.
After the man left her friend asked Aisha r.a how come she gave the first man bread and the second one meat, to which she replied that the Prophet s.a.w had told her that one should always try and help others in the way that they where accustomed too.
The first man she explained had been poor by his look a very long time and was quite happy with the bread, whereas the second man by his clothes she could tell was obviously new to poverty and most likely dry bread alone would not have satisfied him.

I don't think any commentary by anyone is necessary as I believe the story speaks for its self about maintaining human dignity.

masalam

ardianto
06-04-2011, 02:12 PM
:sl:

I have told this story in other thread, but let me tell it again

-----

One day a poor man came to Rasulullah (saw), he wanted to beg a sadaqah. However, Rasulullah (saw) didn't give him money, but asked him
"Do you have something in your home ?"
"I have, yaa Rasulullah, a blanket that I have cut into two pieces, one for my cloth, another of my sitting pad. I also have a cup"
"Bring that sitting pad here" Rasulullah (saw) said.

Few moment later, he brought that sitting pad to Rasulullah (saw), and Rasulullah (saw) asked sahabi who present in his home.
"Who will buy it ?"
"I will, yaa Rasulullah" one sahaba replied "let me pay one dirham"
But Rasulullah (saw) asked again
"Who will pay more ?"
"I will, yaa Rasulullah" other sahaba replied "let me pay two dirhams"

Sold in two dirhams. Rasulullah (saw) gave one dirham to that poor man
"Use it to buy food for your family"
Then Rasulullah (saw) gave him another one dirham.
"Go to the marketplace and buy an axe"

The poor man went to marketplace, bought an axe and back to Rasulullah (saw) home. Rasulullah (saw) gave him an axe grip.
"Use this axe to seek firewood and sell to the marketplace. Remember, don't come to me before 15 days".

15 days later he came to Rasulullah (saw) with his happy face.
"Alhamdulillah, yaa Rasulullah. I got 15 dirhams from selling firewood, and I could buy food and clothes for my family"
Rasulullah (saw) smile and say.
"It's better than begging, because make begging as habit will make your face get a black spot in the day of qiyamah".

----

Brother, sister, please don't ask me about degree of this story, is it shahih, hassan, or dhoif. And don't ask me about sanad of this story, because I don't know. But we are in Indonesia heard this story and many other good stories about Rasulullah (saw) from the Ulama. The story above becomes an inspiration for Muslims activist in Indonesia to help the poor in productive method.

May Ayob
06-04-2011, 02:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by al yunan
Salam to sisters May Ayob and Ghazalah, I would like to share with both of you a story I've heard: Aisha r.a had a visitor that she was talking with when a beggar game to her door to ask for food, she went and got some bread which she gave to him. Some time later another beggar came by and this time she offered the man a piece of meat as well. After the man left her friend asked Aisha r.a how come she gave the first man bread and the second one meat, to which she replied that the Prophet s.a.w had told her that one should always try and help others in the way that they where accustomed too. The first man she explained had been poor by his look a very long time and was quite happy with the bread, whereas the second man by his clothes she could tell was obviously new to poverty and most likely dry bread alone would not have satisfied him. I don't think any commentary by anyone is necessary as I believe the story speaks for its self about maintaining human dignity.

Salaam brother thank you for your contribution , but i dont really understand - so i should give them food because they look like they havent ate for a long time - sorry for the misunderstanding and i hope you can clarify that more please.
Salaam

sister herb
06-04-2011, 02:16 PM
Thanks about story.

Revert 2010
06-04-2011, 02:37 PM
Salaam, I would give regardless of the persons religious convictions plus becoming homeless can happen to anyone at any time if they can no longer afford their mortgage and so on. The biggest thing for me is people who are begging when they are not in need, I think stopping and chatting to people who are homeless often makes a bigger difference then money and food, a bit of social interaction goes a long way. I would give them food if they wanted it.

al yunan
06-04-2011, 03:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
Brother, sister, please don't ask me about degree of this story, is it shahih, hassan, or dhoif. And don't ask me about sanad of this story, because I don't know.

Walaikum assalam brother ardianto,

When something is taught at Fardu ain level and is common knowledge there is no need to provide Sanad or proof and only one kind of person would doubt this type of Hadith and I don't think I need to mention who. M.......

Masalam

Salaam brother thank you for your contribution , but i dont really understand - so i should give them food because they look like they havent ate for a long time - sorry for the misunderstanding and i hope you can clarify that more please. Salaam
Walaikum Assalam sister May Ayob,

As I understand it, one should try and help people with out demeaning them (making them feel bad) and to judge what would be best for them that is within our capabilities to offer to them.
Remember our concern and thoughtfulness is the greatest part of our reward, for throwing money or food at some one is not Sadaqah for a mere smile of compassion may get us the recognition of Sadaqah.
Allowing ourselves to be taken advantage of, is not Sadaqa

Considering Sadaqa for who:
Our families come first
Then our neighbours
Muslims in general
Any one else

What is considered Sadaqa:
As per Hadith "even half a date"
Food / Clothing
Tools one may use to earn a living
toys gifts to a child
A reading of a Sura for some one
A Dua
A kind word, smile or gesture
Politeness and concern
Visit to the sick or aged
All acts of good will

To name but some forms.
I hope this helps and should it not please feel free to ask as many times as you need for that is Sadaqa to me, so from me Jazakallahu Khair and many Thanks for the opportunity given to me.

Masalam

ardianto
06-04-2011, 03:42 PM
Walaikum assalam brother ardianto,

When something is taught at Fardu ain level and is common knowledge there is no need to provide Sanad or proof and only one kind of person would doubt this type of Hadith and I don't think I need to mention who. M.......

Masalam
Assalamu' alaikum broter Al Yunan

I wrote that because I read your sentence in your post ( I don't think any commentary by anyone is necessary as I believe the story speaks for its self about maintaining human dignity) and I thought you have seen what I have seen.

Ulama in Indonesia teach many good stories about Rasulullah (saw) and Salaf, as moral guidance, not as source for Islamic law. Many Muslim blogger in Indonesia also posted those stories in their blogs. But now I begin to find some brothers make comments in those blogs such as "How do you know if this story is Shahih ?" or "Where is the Sanad of this story ?".

But I think they are just over acting. From what I know, brothers who asked those questions are Muslims who started to learn hadith since "yesterday afternoon", because hadith Ulama and teachers, and also senior students of hadith never questioning those stories.

Who Am I?
06-04-2011, 05:11 PM
ardianto, your story reminds me of a saying I learned some time ago.

"Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime." - Chinese proverb

Riana17
06-04-2011, 05:19 PM
:sl:

I have told this story in other thread, but let me tell it again

-----

One day a poor man came to Rasulullah (saw), he wanted to beg a sadaqah. However, Rasulullah (saw) didn't give him money, but asked him
"Do you have something in your home ?"
"I have, yaa Rasulullah, a blanket that I have cut into two pieces, one for my cloth, another of my sitting pad. I also have a cup"
"Bring that sitting pad here" Rasulullah (saw) said.

Few moment later, he brought that sitting pad to Rasulullah (saw), and Rasulullah (saw) asked sahabi who present in his home.
"Who will buy it ?"
"I will, yaa Rasulullah" one sahaba replied "let me pay one dirham"
But Rasulullah (saw) asked again
"Who will pay more ?"
"I will, yaa Rasulullah" other sahaba replied "let me pay two dirhams"

Sold in two dirhams. Rasulullah (saw) gave one dirham to that poor man
"Use it to buy food for your family"
Then Rasulullah (saw) gave him another one dirham.
"Go to the marketplace and buy an axe"

The poor man went to marketplace, bought an axe and back to Rasulullah (saw) home. Rasulullah (saw) gave him an axe grip.
"Use this axe to seek firewood and sell to the marketplace. Remember, don't come to me before 15 days".

15 days later he came to Rasulullah (saw) with his happy face.
"Alhamdulillah, yaa Rasulullah. I got 15 dirhams from selling firewood, and I could buy food and clothes for my family"
Rasulullah (saw) smile and say.
"It's better than begging, because make begging as habit will make your face get a black spot in the day of qiyamah".

----

Brother, sister, please don't ask me about degree of this story, is it shahih, hassan, or dhoif. And don't ask me about sanad of this story, because I don't know. But we are in Indonesia heard this story and many other good stories about Rasulullah (saw) from the Ulama. The story above becomes an inspiration for Muslims activist in Indonesia to help the poor in productive method.
Masha Allah what an inspiration
thank you for sharing

I remember in our local newspaper, a person begging admitted getting as much as 3600 dollars per day
WOOOW how many black spot he will get?

ardianto
06-04-2011, 05:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Just a Guy
ardianto, your story reminds me of a saying I learned some time ago.

"Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime." - Chinese proverb
Thank you very much. There is a similar proverb in Indonesia, but I never know before if Indonesians adopted that proverb from Chinese.

May Ayob
06-04-2011, 05:28 PM
Walaikum assalam brother ardianto, When something is taught at Fardu ain level and is common knowledge there is no need to provide Sanad or proof and only one kind of person would doubt this type of Hadith and I don't think I need to mention who. M.......

Salaam Bro did you mean me? thats not very nice, i actually learnedfrom the story and infact ive heard it many times before. why would you think i would be doubtful of it? i dont know where you got that impression from.

Walaikum Assalam sister May Ayob, As I understand it, one should try and help people with out demeaning them (making them feel bad) and to judge what would be best for them that is within our capabilities to offer to them. Remember our concern and thoughtfulness is the greatest part of our reward, for throwing money or food at some one is not Sadaqah for a mere smile of compassion may get us the recognition of Sadaqah. Allowing ourselves to be taken advantage of, is not Sadaqa Considering Sadaqa for who: Our families come first Then our neighbours Muslims in general Any one else What is considered Sadaqa: As per Hadith "even half a date" Food / Clothing Tools one may use to earn a living toys gifts to a child A reading of a Sura for some one A Dua A kind word, smile or gesture Politeness and concern Visit to the sick or aged All acts of good will To name but some forms. I hope this helps and should it not please feel free to ask as many times as you need for that is Sadaqa to me, so from me Jazakallahu Khair and many Thanks for the opportunity given to me. Masalam

Thank you very much i now understand more, i will ask insha'Allah when ever there is matter that i dont understand.

al yunan
06-04-2011, 06:00 PM
But I think they are just over acting. From what I know, brothers who asked those questions are Muslims who started to learn hadith since "yesterday afternoon", because hadith Ulama and teachers, and also senior students of hadith never questioning those stories.

Walaikum Assalam brother ardianto,

Unfortunately in this day and age instead of Fardhu Ain, Mathab and Adab many choose to become Murids of Shaikh Google.
Should you get these people away from their computer, there is not realy much that they can say.
Ahli Sunni wal Internet, Usul Google and Mathab ul cut and paste.
The results are evident, have you considered how many really know Tahara, can learn that too from video ?

Also don't forget that there are many who are against Ahli Sunni wal Jamaah and the only way they know how to respond is by saying our Ahadith are Daif or fabricated and our scholars of 1300 -900 year old fame are sesat.
Our prophet s.a.w Inshallah said "the best one can do when confronted by evil is to ignore it" (not ad verbum)

Masalam

al yunan
06-04-2011, 06:11 PM
Salaam Bro did you mean me? thats not very nice, i actually learnedfrom the story and infact ive heard it many times before. why would you think i would be doubtful of it? i dont know where you got that impression from.
Salam sister,

The M was for Munafiq, how could you think so badly of me ?imsad
The first part of my post was addressed to ardianto.^o)
I'm broken hearted I will just go to my room and sulk now.:cry:

Masalam

truthseeker63
06-04-2011, 06:12 PM
Thank You for the posts.

May Ayob
06-04-2011, 06:37 PM
Salam sister, The M was for Munafiq, how could you think so badly of me ? The first part of my post was addressed to ardianto. I'm broken hearted I will just go to my room and sulk now. Masalam

Salaam
im very sorry for what i have written , i dont know but i thought you meant me , but now that you clarified then no probelm. :)

May Ayob
06-04-2011, 06:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by truthseeker63
Thank You for the posts.
You are welcome :) feel free to ask what ever questions you have , many people will hopefully give you good answers that will help you.:)

truthseeker63
06-04-2011, 11:27 PM
Judaism and Christianity both tells their followers to give to Charity but neither has both Zakat and Sadaqah like Islam does.

Who Am I?
06-05-2011, 02:56 AM
Even if you don't believe in God, it's just good karma to help out your fellow man.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!