/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Quran passage help.

UnknownTruth
06-02-2011, 07:11 PM
"To Jesus the son of Mary, we gave clear signs, and strengthened with the holy spirit"

Forgive my un-understanding, but from what I heard, Islam didn't beleive in the Holy Spirit? Can anyone clear this up for me? thank you very much.

Peace

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
S.B.
06-04-2011, 03:54 AM
I presume by Holy Spirit, the noble Quran is mentioning the Angel Jibreel. If we read the Tafsir Al Jalalyn of verse 2:87, it says so.

And We gave Moses the Scripture, the Torah, and after him We sent successive messengers, that is, We sent them one after another, and We gave Jesus son of Mary the clear proofs, that is, the miracles of bringing the dead back to life and healing the blind and the leper, and We confirmed him, We strengthened him, with the Holy Spirit (the expression rūh al-qudus is an example of annexing [in a genitive construction] the noun described to the adjective [qualifying it], in other words, al-rūh al-muqaddasa), that is, Gabriel, [so described] on account of his [Jesus’s] sanctity; he would accompany him [Jesus] wherever he went; still you refuse to be upright, and whenever there came to you a messenger, with what your souls did not desire, [did not] like, in the way of truth, you became arrogant, you disdained to follow him (istakbartum, ‘you became arrogant’, is the response to the particle kullamā, ‘whenever’, and constitutes the interrogative, and is meant as a rebuke); and some, of them, you called liars, such as Jesus, and some you slay?, such as Zachariah and John (the present tenses [of these verbs] are used to narrate the past events [as though they were events in the present], in other words, ‘[and some] you slew’).

al yunan
06-04-2011, 04:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by UnknownTruth
I heard, Islam didn't beleive in the Holy Spirit

Salam brother,

We most definately do and we call it Ruh al Qudus

Masalam

Insaanah
06-06-2011, 05:49 PM
The holy spirit in Islam is a title for the Angel Gabriel (peace be upon him). He is not divine in any way. Here's another verse:

"Say: The holy spirit has revealed it from your Lord with truth, that it may confirm (the faith of) those who believe and as guidance and good tidings for those who have surrendered (to Allah). (Qur'an 16:102)

The Angel Gabriel (peace be upon him) used to bring the revelations of the Qur'an from Allah to the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him).

Peace.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
UnknownTruth
07-06-2011, 05:16 AM
Thank you very much for the clearance people. I apreciate it! Peace

IAmZamzam
07-08-2011, 07:38 PM
A passage from my site:

There are several things that the Bible can mean by the phrase “Holy Spirit”, but none of them suggest that it’s God Himself being referred to...First, contrary to the allegations Christians made that we Muslims are being silly when we say that in the Koran the Holy Spirit is Gabriel, the Bible itself sometimes refers to angels as “spirits of God”:

And between the throne and the four living creatures and among the elders, I saw a Lamb standing, as though it had been slain, with seven horns and with seven eyes, which are the seven spirits of God sent out into all the earth. (Revelation 5:6)

Read through the rest of the relevant chapters of Revelation and it will be clear that these seven spirits are the seven angels in 8:2 and so on. So the term “spirit of God”, which Christians consider synonymous with the term “Holy Spirit”, can mean “angel”. The word “spirit” can also mean “prophet”, as we can tell from 1 John:

Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are of God; for many false prophets have gone out into the world. (1 John 4:1)

Hence the Islamic belief that the Holy Spirit prophesied in John 14-17 is Muhammad (peace be on him). Then, of course, there is the literal meaning of the phrase...“breath”:

And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit." (John 20:22)

Then there is the more nebulous meaning of the term, in which the spirit is simply the spirit of inspiration, in the ordinary English sense of the word. Christians lump up all of these different meanings, all of which are both obvious and obviously different, under the same definition, and that is precisely why the Holy Spirit is the hardest part of the Trinity to define, the most meaningless of the three phrases. There is no single meaning of the phrase in actuality, but only a long string of different non-Trinitarian meanings, but Christians consider them all to be the same, and so they end up with a term that cannot be clearly defined, or can be only when everyone has a different definition to give. It’s jargon, in other words, nonsense talk. That’s what you get when you oversimplify a complicated series of different meanings of a term--you inevitably end up with a difficult, nebulous, hard to fix, subjectively interpreted meaning on your hands.
The Koran uses the angelic meaning as in the book of Revelation, and is referring to Gabriel.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!