/* */

PDA

View Full Version : I face a diet...good Surahs to read?

Considering
06-05-2011, 04:31 AM
I have been instructed by my doctor that I must lose 50 pounds. I think this is a good thing and my life will be much better for it, but I have never really dieted much.

Fortunately I have a good support system - my wife used to be a weight loss counselor years ago :-)

I am wondering if there are any particular Surahs or prayers that are appropriate for asking for help in sticking to my diet and maintaining my focus.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Hamza Asadullah
06-06-2011, 03:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Considering
I have been instructed by my doctor that I must lose 50 pounds. I think this is a good thing and my life will be much better for it, but I have never really dieted much.

Fortunately I have a good support system - my wife used to be a weight loss counselor years ago :-)

I am wondering if there are any particular Surahs or prayers that are appropriate for asking for help in sticking to my diet and maintaining my focus.
Greetings,

I don't think you should see this as a diet but mentally see this as a "change" in your eating habits for the better. This will help you more mentally. Diets don't last long but changing ones eating habits for the better will last a life time.

Here are some tips for you:

1. Simply add more fruits and vegtables into your daily routine. Cut down on red meat and eat more lean white meats and fish. Also cut down on white Carbs like white bread, pasta, rice and instead replace it with brown carbs like brown rice, bread and pasta.

2. Have 3 set meals a day: Breakfast, lunch and dinner. For breakfast always go for a nice and healthy porridge oats which you can sweeten with honey or fresh fruit. Hav eoms fresh orange juice and a boiled egg. For lunch go for some lean white meat or fish with a nice mixed salad. For dinner grilled lean white meat or fish with new potatos and steamed vegtables. In between if you feel hungry simply have some fruit that you like with greek yoghurt. Or any good and healthy snack.

3. Do not eat 4 hours before sleeping.

4. Get rid of any unhealthy food from the house. Your wife should support you in this by eating what you eat and helping you to eat good and healthy food.

5. Also cut down on potato's and instead have sweet potatos. Have bigger portions of vegtables and lean white meat and smaller portions of carbs. Cut out foods with high sugar and trans and saturated fats.

6. Grill your food more rather than fry. Use an oil high in monosaturated fats like rapeseed oil for cooking. Olive oil is good for dressings but not cooking as it has a low smoking point.

7. Drink much more water than you are currently drinking at least 8 glasses a day.

8. The ONLY way you are going to lose weight is to burn more calories than you are currently consuming. So once you have adapted your eating habits to that of healthier food which will not only make you feel good but will make you lose weight but also exercise. You don't have to torture yourself at the gym everyday but at least have a good long walk everyday at least 30-45 minutes at a steady pace.

9. Make excuses to do exercise. This could be helping around the house like vacuming, washing dishes, cleaning bathroom etc. Walkin to shops and to work if possible.

10. Climb a hill or stairs as much as you can. Get a bike and go for bike rides around your area or in the country side, nice parks nature reserves etc.

11. Try different recipes. Buy some healthy recipe books or research on the internet for them. Ask your nutritionist to give you some recipes. Healthy food can be very nice to eat so experiment with different recipes until you have a few healthy recipes that you like so that way you actually like what you eat on a daily basis.

12. There is nothing wrong with treating yourself. Every week set an evening where you can indulge in anything you want. But it does'nt mean that you have to eat until your bloated. Just have a reasonable portion until you are satiefied. Maybe your wife can help you with your portion sizes.

13. It would be a good idea to get a smaller plate which you can eat all of your meals from. Using a bigger plate wil simply make you want to fill it up more.

14. Always have a healthy snack on you like some fruit etc. This is because you should never get to the point where you are starving for food as this will make you want to eat anything you canget hold of. It is always best to keep your hunger levels at a level where you are in control.

Without a doubt the Prophet (Peace be upon him) had the best eating habits of all. He would never fill more than one third of his stomach with food.

Here is some Islamic advice on moderate eating:

http://www.islamicboard.com/health-s...on-eating.html

With regards to prayers and supplications:

رَبَّنَا أَفْرِغْ عَلَيْنَا صَبْراً وَثَبِّتْ أَقْدَامَنَا وَانْصُرْنَا عَلَى الْقَوْمِ الْكَافِرِينَ

Rabbanā ‘Afrigh `Alaynā Şabrāan Wa Thabbit ‘Aqdāmanā Wa Anşurnā `Alá Al-Qawmi Al-Kāfirīna

Our Lord! Bestow on us endurance, make our foothold sure, and give us help against the disbelieving folk (The Holy Qur’an – Surat al Baqarah – Verse 249)

قَوْلِي بِّ اشْرَحْ لِي صَدْرِي وَيَسِّرْ لِي أَمْرِي وَاحْلُلْ عُقْدَةً مِنْ لِسَانِي يَفْقَهُوارَ

Rabbish rahlee sadree Wa yassir lee amree Wahlul ‘uqdata mi lisaanee Yafqahoo qawlee

O my Lord! Expand me my breast Ease my task for me And remove the impediment from my speech So they may understand what I say (The Holy Qur’an – Surat Ta Ha- Verse 25)

رَبَّنَا لا تُؤَاخِذْنَا إِنْ نَسِينَا أَوْ أَخْطَأْنَا رَبَّنَا وَلا تَحْمِلْ عَلَيْنَا إِصْراً كَمَا حَمَلْتَهُ عَلَى الَّذِينَ مِنْ قَبْلِنَا رَبَّنَا وَلا تُحَمِّلْنَا مَا لا طَاقَةَ لَنَا بِهِ وَاعْفُ عَنَّا وَاغْفِرْ لَنَا وَارْحَمْنَا أَنْتَ مَوْلانَا فَانْصُرْنَا عَلَى الْقَوْمِ الْكَافِرِينَ

Rabbanā Lā Tu’uākhidhnā ‘In Nasīnā ‘Aw ‘Akhţa’nā Rabbanā Wa Lā Taĥmil `Alaynā ‘Işrāan Kamā Ĥamaltahu `Alá Al-Ladhīna Min Qablinā Rabbanā Wa Lā Tuĥammilnā Mā Lā Ţāqata Lanā Bihi Wa A`fu `Annā Wa Aghfir Lanā Wa Arĥamnā ‘Anta Mawlānā Fānşurnā `Alá Al-Qawmi Al-Kāfirīn

Our Lord! Condemn us not if we forget, or miss the mark! Our Lord! Lay not on us such a burden as thou didst lay on those before us! Our Lord! Impose not on us that which we have not the strength to bear! Pardon us, absolve us and have mercy on us, Thou, our Protector, and give us victory over the disbelieving folk (The Holy Qur’an – Surat al Baqarah – Verse 286)

On top of these duas ask of Allah sincerely in dua with your own words. Prostrate to him when asking of him for help. Humble yourself to him and beg and cry to him in the latter portions of the night when duas are most accepted.

And Allah knows best in all matters

Salahudeen
06-10-2011, 11:04 PM
^share some healthy tasty recipies plz bro hamza :D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!