/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What its like without the muslim headscarf article

S.Belle
06-07-2011, 04:12 PM
You can read the article here

http://nadiaelawady.wordpress.com/20...lim-headscarf/

This is somewhat shocking to me that this sis did this and some of the things that she states some what distrubes me bc she is giving an incorrect meaning to hijab and an incorrect interpretation of what it means to be a muslimah.

format_quote Originally Posted by article

I went to the breakfast hall and immediately felt that I was invisible. I had become accustomed to being noticed – just ever so slightly – as a woman wearing hijab in Europe. It was usually more evident in the breakfast hall in hotels: a woman wearing the hijab, walking into the restaurant all alone. It’s not all that common as you can imagine. For the first time in my traveling years, I wasn’t noticed. And I IMMEDIATELY missed the attention. I was a bit hurt, I must admit
format_quote Originally Posted by article
I also felt more feminine than I believe I’ve ever felt in my life. I felt more of a woman. Not that people reacted to me as more of a woman. But that I internally felt more feminine. It was exciting

This is not a good representation of Islam or hijab at all and it saddens me to know that this came from a sis.
Another thing that I noticed is that most of the comments on her blog for this particular article have positive feedback.
Is what she did considered haraam? and if so why are there muslims wordlewide that share this view and promote it when clearly it is stated in the Quran that hijab is obligatory.

“And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what must ordinarily appear therof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands, their fathers, their husbands' fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers, or their brothers' sons or their sisters' sons, or their women or the servants whom their right hands possess, or male servants free of physical needs, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex, and that they should not strike their feet in order to draw attention to their hidden ornaments. And O you Believers, turn you all together towards Allah, that you may attain Bliss.” (Quran 24:31).

“O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils) all over their bodies (i.e. screen themselves completely except the eyes or one eye to see the way). That will be better, that they should be known (as free respectable women) so as not to be annoyed. And Allaah is Ever Oft‑Forgiving, Most Merciful”
[al-Ahzaab 33:59]

“O you Children of Adam! We have bestowed on you raiment to cover your shame as well as to be an adornment to you. But the raiment of righteousness, that is the best. Such are among the Signs of Allah, that they may receive admonition.” (Quran 7:26)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ğħαrєєвαħ
06-07-2011, 04:56 PM

May Ayob
06-07-2011, 05:02 PM
Salaam sister - Peace be to you :)
I see that you are disturbed from the style of your writing.
In my opinion you should consider somethings -
-What people are doing , or saying shouldn't really matter to you.
-She might be ignorant about Islam, that is why i am not really interested in criticising her.
- Just as non Muslims need Dawah , i'm a born Muslim and i would have apreciated it if some one gave Dawah to me , i didn't acknowledge the simplist things about my religion and i think many born muslims have had the same situation.
-
format_quote Originally Posted by S.Belle
I went to the breakfast hall and immediately felt that I was invisible. I had become accustomed to being noticed – just ever so slightly – as a woman wearing hijab in Europe. It was usually more evident in the breakfast hall in hotels: a woman wearing the Hijab, walking into the restaurant all alone. It’s not all that common as you can imagine. For the first time in my traveling years, I wasn’t noticed. And I IMMEDIATELY missed the attention. I was a bit hurt, I must admit
from my point of view , i dont even think she wears the Hijab regualarly i think it was from her first experience, i would have said the same words if i wanted to impress western audience but yeah i don't think you should be paying attention to such things.
Is what she did considered haraam? and if so why are there muslims wordlewide that share this view and promote it when clearly it is stated in the Quran that hijab is obligatory.

Well i think that on your personal opinion , i think you should care about yourself , and you should be giving the right idea about hijab , i mean if she it doesnt come back to us to change her attitude or the way she introduces hijab to people. So if you want to make a differnce start within yourself and you should also give the correct idea of hijab and its purpose. It is obligatory but many women today say it is not maybe out of ignorance or m,ay be because they dont want people saying to them - howcome so and so is wearing the Hijab and you're not?- do you get my point ?

i hope this helps Insha Allah.
Salaam

Just_A_Girl13
06-07-2011, 05:05 PM
I also felt more feminine than I believe I’ve ever felt in my life. I felt more of a woman. Not that people reacted to me as more of a woman. But that I internally felt more feminine. It was exciting
On the contrary, I love wearing hijab. It makes me feel beautiful :) However, I admire this sister's courage and I think that ultimately it is her decision. Inshallah, Allah will guide her to the right choice for her.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ğħαrєєвαħ
06-07-2011, 05:05 PM
edit................

Ğħαrєєвαħ
06-07-2011, 05:07 PM

Who Am I?
06-07-2011, 05:15 PM
She does bring up a good point though. People will still be people whether she wears hijab or not. Mean people will still be mean and nice people will still be nice. The vast majority won't care either way.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
06-07-2011, 05:30 PM
^Assalaamu Alaaykum

true. But people will remain people no matter the case is.

A muslimah will practice the Hijaab because she wants to obey her lord, people will still continue to hate her for many reasons and some may even admire her. But that doesnt mean she can stop doing her work because people dont care less about her, nor is she wearing the Hijaab to please the people, theres that saying 'dont care about what people think' in the case of Islaam we care about what Allaah/our creator thinks of us ofcourse while doing things with the right intentions, e.g. deal with people kindly and not just on the outside but keeping our hearts pure , the main reason it is who she is wearing it for because she wants to please her creator it also includes her intentions, and only God is aware of that. Also we have to realise Allaah SWT commands us to do something because it is good for the individual/human, therefore we follow that knowing that he knows best for us even though sometimes we dont know the reasons. There is also wisdom in all that he commands which we sometimes are not aware of either

Who Am I?
06-07-2011, 06:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pєαяℓ σf Wιѕ∂σм
^Assalaamu Alaaykum

true. But people will remain people no matter the case is.

A muslimah will practice the Hijaab because she wants to obey her lord, people will still continue to hate her for many reasons and some may even admire her. But that doesnt mean she can stop doing her work because people dont care less about her, nor is she wearing the Hijaab to please the people, theres that saying 'dont care about what people think' in the case of Islaam we care about what Allaah/our creator thinks of us ofcourse while doing things with the right intentions, e.g. deal with people kindly and not just on the outside but keeping our hearts pure , the main reason it is who she is wearing it for because she wants to please her creator it also includes her intentions, and only God is aware of that. Also we have to realise Allaah SWT commands us to do something because it is good for the individual/human, therefore we follow that knowing that he knows best for us even though sometimes we dont know the reasons. There is also wisdom in all that he commands which we sometimes are not aware of either
I am finding this out in my own life as I prepare to take shahada. I've encountered opposition to this from within my own family. But I still feel that this is the right thing for me to do, so I want to do it even though I know my own family and friends will not approve or understand.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
06-07-2011, 06:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Just a Guy
I am finding this out in my own life as I prepare to take shahada. I've encountered opposition to this from within my own family. But I still feel that this is the right thing for me to do, so I want to do it even though I know my own family and friends will not approve or understand.
Assalaamu Alaaykum

I apologise if i appeared all negative in my previous post..

But continue to seek out for guidance, supplicate to your lord. At the end it is a great feeling when you do something for the sake of Allaah especially when all he wants is the best for you in this life and the hereafter, that is when you will realise everything Allaah commands is beautiful and full of beautiful beneficial wisdom.

for the sister in the article, Allaah knows best about her and her intentions and situation. but i think one is required to seek knowledge and not use their intellect to put things right, i guess this is just my opinion some will agree and so may disagree..

so a thing like this shouldnt let it bother your faith , ensure that you are following the Qur'aan and sunnah and continue seek knowledge insha'Allaah..

may Allaah guide you the righteous path of all the prophets and strenghten you in faith and grant you happiness in both this life and the hereafter Aameen

.. peace ..

Flame of Hope
06-07-2011, 08:14 PM
:sl:

format_quote Originally Posted by May Ayob
In my opinion you should consider somethings -
-What people are doing , or saying shouldn't really matter to you.
-She might be ignorant about Islam, that is why i am not really interested in criticising her.
Very good points, sister. :)

If one wants to seek out faults in others, one will surely find them. If one wants to seek out the good, one will find that as well.

If no good is found, one can still make excuses for the person and hope that Allah will guide him/her to what is better. You're right in saying that we should be more concerned with the affairs of our own self.

May Ayob
06-07-2011, 08:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Flame
Very good points, sister. If one wants to seek out faults in others, one will surely find them. If one wants to seek out the good, one will find that as well. If no good is found, one can still make excuses for the person and hope that Allah will guide him/her to what is better. You're right in saying that we should be more concerned with the affairs of our own self.
Thank you very much :)
Jazak Allahu khairain
I learnt this after a hard time.
Thank you for mentioning the excuses , i've reada hadeeth a long time ago it said that we should always have good opinion and also we have to make up about 70 excuses for our sisters and brothers in islam and humanity ,if we reach the 70th excuse than we have to make up even more if we are able to do so.
Salaam

May Ayob
06-07-2011, 08:56 PM
Assalaamu Alaaykum true. But people will remain people no matter the case is. A muslimah will practice the Hijaab because she wants to obey her lord, people will still continue to hate her for many reasons and some may even admire her. But that doesnt mean she can stop doing her work because people dont care less about her, nor is she wearing the Hijaab to please the people, theres that saying 'dont care about what people think' in the case of Islaam we care about what Allaah/our creator thinks of us ofcourse while doing things with the right intentions, e.g. deal with people kindly and not just on the outside but keeping our hearts pure , the main reason it is who she is wearing it for because she wants to please her creator it also includes her intentions, and only God is aware of that. Also we have to realise Allaah SWT commands us to do something because it is good for the individual/human, therefore we follow that knowing that he knows best for us even though sometimes we dont know the reasons. There is also wisdom in all that he commands which we sometimes are not aware of either
Sister Pearl of Wisdom

I am very sorry , and i would like to apologize , i swear to God all my speech was directed to the OP not you at all , ive read many of your psots and i think your a very good muslim , how could i say or think in such a way of ?
Allah might punish me if i did , you seem very peacefull and you try to help as much as you can.
I was just adressing my speech to the op , infact when i first posted it your post didnt apear untill after , do you know that i did not even read it?

I am deeply sorry if you had this impression from my post, May Allah protect you and make you of those whom He loves

No hard feelings
Salaam

Ğħαrєєвαħ
06-07-2011, 09:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by May Ayob
Sister Pearl of Wisdom

I am very sorry , and i would like to apologize , i swear to God all my speech was directed to the OP not you at all , ive read many of your psots and i think your a very good muslim , how could i say or think in such a way of ?
Allah might punish me if i did , you seem very peacefull and you try to help as much as you can.
I was just adressing my speech to the op , infact when i first posted it your post didnt apear untill after , do you know that i did not even read it?

I am deeply sorry if you had this impression from my post, May Allah protect you and make you of those whom He loves

No hard feelings
Salaam
Assalaamu Alaaykum sis

Ameen to the Du'aa and may Allaah grant you the same and protect you from his punishments, grant you and all the ummah happiness in this life and the akhirah and guide those who seek the truth Aameen

You dont need to be sorry :-\

I wish to Pm you to talk further, but the system isnt letting me. Is it possible if you can Pm me insha'Allaah?

May Ayob
06-08-2011, 10:28 AM
I wish to Pm you to talk further, but the system isnt letting me. Is it possible if you can Pm me insha'Allaah?
Yes , yes i will insh Allah infact i'll do that right now , im sorry this was a bit late after i posted my last post i had to close the computer and go to bed, i think you live in the west and that's why there is a different time zone , i also hope the system will allow me to PM .
Salaam

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!