/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Great Mosque and Hospital in Turkey

sister herb
06-07-2011, 06:09 PM
Divriği Great Mosque and Hospital (Turkish: Divriği Ulu Cami ve Darüşşifa) is an ornately decorated mosque and medical complex built in 1299 in the small eastern Anatolian mountain town of Divriği, now in Sivas Province in Turkey. The architect was Hürremshah of Ahlat and the mosque was built on the order of Ahmet Shah, ruler of the Beylik of Mengücek. The inscriptions contain words of praise to the Anatolian Seljuk sultan Alaeddin Keykubad I. The adjoining medical center (darüşşifa) was built simultaneously with the mosque on the order of Turan Melek Sultan, daughter of the Mengücek ruler of Erzincan, Fahreddin Behram Shah.

The exquisite carvings and architecture of both buildings put them among the most important works of architecture in Anatolia and led to their inclusion on UNESCO's World Heritage List in 1985. Of particular note are the geometrical and floral reliefs on the main door.

The magnificent building called Divriği Ulu Camii and Daru'ş-şifa in the World Art History was built by lord of Mengücek Feudal Ahmet Şah in 1228. Şifahane (Hospital) was built by Ahmet Şah's wife Melike Turan. Divriği Ulu Camii is also known as Fatma Hatun Camii or Ahmet Şah Camii.
This building has some differences from the others. For example, the 3D geometric styles and botanic designs were said "unique" by art historians and architects. Designs which embroider on doors and walls are asymmetric and every square have over then a thousand patterns. The foreman had always renovated himself. All the styles were arranged for showing unity of God.
Divriği Ulu Camii and Daru'ş-şifa has four doors. They are Şifahane Taç Door, North Taç Door, West Taç Door, Şah Mahfili Taç Door. Each of them is different from the other and glorious. Divriği Ulu Camii is a marvellous architecture and engineering example with it's every units.

The shadow which prays in mosque and reads Kur’an-ı Kerim is making people excited. It appeared on afternoon in last August (2008) first.

People noticed this shadow in mosque after 800 years. This amazing work of art is another marvellous architecture example.

(from other forum)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ramadhan
06-08-2011, 05:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister harb
The shadow which prays in mosque and reads Kur’an-ı Kerim is making people excited. It appeared on afternoon in last August (2008) first. People noticed this shadow in mosque after 800 years. This amazing work of art is another marvellous architecture example.

I can see the shadow. amazing. the architect and the builders must have designed and constructed it on purpose. very clever.

Endymion
06-08-2011, 03:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ramadhan

I can see the shadow. amazing. the architect and the builders must have designed and constructed it on purpose. very clever.
Indeed,that is the greatness of Architects to use the sun shadow in such a amazing way :thumbs_up

Great pictures,Thanks for sharing Harb :statisfie

Who Am I?
06-08-2011, 03:57 PM
I'm a huge history nerd, so stuff like this is awesome to me.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!