/* */

PDA

View Full Version : My Friend is Considering Becoming an Atheist

olie
06-08-2011, 08:25 PM
Hi, I made this account because I have a big problem.
I live in the UK and my mate is considering converting to atheism.
I think he saw some of those propaganda videos on YouTube as he is linking me them but I obviously won't watch them as they are clearly full of rubbish.
Can anyone give me some ways to keep him within Islam? I don't know what to do as nothing seems to work.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Hamza Asadullah
06-08-2011, 08:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by olie
I think he saw some of those propaganda videos on YouTube as he is linking me them but I obviously won't watch them as they are clearly full of rubbish.
Can anyone give me some ways to keep him within Islam? I don't know what to do as nothing seems to work.
Asalaamu Alaikum, jazakallahu khayr for sharing your friends issues with us. We need to realise that guidance is only in the hands of Allah and he gives guidance to whoever he wants and also takes it away from whoever he wants.

With regards to your friend it is best to take him to a knowledgable and experienced scholar or brother who he can ask questions to and who can clarify his misconceptions regarding any issues he may have with Islamic concepts or beliefs. Alternatively you can show him Muslim lecturers who refute Athiest concepts on Youtube like Dr Zakir Naik or Hamza Tzortis etc. You should act quickly in trying to get him to a knowledgable brother which is the best course of action.

It is his lack of knowledge of Islam that has caused him to feel this way and the only way to get him back on track would be to clarify his doubts and misconceptions regarding any issues he has with Islam.

But know that if he does go away from Islam then it is not in your hands but guidance is ONLY from Allah. You can only do your best and after that the rest is upto him. Continue to give him dawah in a gentle manner using wisdom and tact and never get angry or frsutrated with him or any argument he comes out with.

May Allah guide him to the truth. Ameen

olie
06-08-2011, 09:16 PM
Thank you, friend.
My friend seems quite sure that Islam (and all other religions) are false. I keep trying to tell him that he needs to prove Allah does not exist and not the other way round and claims that there is no evidence. I say he should just look at the world around him and the beauty of it to see that Allah exists.

Flame of Hope
06-08-2011, 09:25 PM
:sl:

You can't really do anything to help your brother unless you know specifically what things are turning him away from Islam. So you could ask him what his reasons are for leaving Islam and then go from there.

Maybe you could also engage in a discussion about atheism and ask him what about it makes more sense.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
olie
06-08-2011, 09:49 PM
Well, at school he said that he has looked at Richard Dawkins and people as well as people arguing on the side of God (not just Allah, but also the Christians as well) and he has come to the conclusion that every argument he saw for the existence was fallacious and he would only be really convinced of coming back to Islam if he saw a good argument specifically for Islam.
He also said that while this doesn't add the the validity of his argument, he does not like himself being associated with people in countries like Saudi Arabia where women are not allowed to drive because they feel the Quran calls for the subjugation of women. He also said that the Prophet Mohammed (MPBUH) was a paedophile as he had an 11 year old wife called Aisha.

I would really like ways to counter these for next time I see him and I need some help because I am not the cleverest person in the world :)

GuestFellow
06-08-2011, 10:53 PM
:sl:

Patience is required. It may take some time to bring him back to Islam. Listen to his arguments and try to get as much information from his as possible. Then do some research and respond back to his arguments based on authentic sources such as books written by academics and lectures. I would put your response in writing and email it him. DO NOT rush your response. If it helps, post it here and members will review it, to add more information or make amendments.

Keep in mind, he will be making all sorts of allegations about Islam. He will be taking verses out of context (intentionally or unintentionally), use science, historical and political reasons to discredit Islam. I suspect he may be trying to convert you to Atheism too, so be on your guard.

olie
06-08-2011, 11:08 PM
Thank you. I will consider some responses to his challenges.
You make a point that he may use science or history. What is wrong with that? Islam supports science and history! The Quran predicted the Big Bang! And of course, science actually disproves evolution, biologists are just too arrogant to admit it, they always forget the 2nd law of thermodynamics!

olie
06-08-2011, 11:09 PM
Oh, and I love your avatar. It looks tasty!

olie
06-08-2011, 11:10 PM
Thank you for your help but I have to go to bed now.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!