/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Parents Dont let me Go to the Masjid and Pray 5 times a day.....

Jalal~
06-09-2011, 01:02 AM
:sl:
Yea, so i understand praying 5 times a day at a Masjid is obligatory on male Muslims, and so during the school year, i listened to my parents when they told me i could not skip school to pray at a Masjid or anything because of my education. I understood that. But now its freaking summer, and i cant even go to pray any prayer. I am barely able to go pray Isha prayer at the Masjid because now my Dad says that he thinks im too young and im going to get shot or something along those lines. He is making my mom come with me to the Masjid now, and now i dont like that either, because im well aware of the fact that it is better for Muslim women to pray at home than at the Masjid. And i know their arent any other women at the Masjid because the door to the womens area is always closed and lights are off. And both of my parents wont let me drive to the Masjid for Fajr Prayer either. I mean, come on, i hit puberty years ago, and i am very familiar with the city, ive practically lived here my whole life. I mean, ok, theirs been only a few fights, and maybe 1 shooting, and a few prostitutes about 2 miles away from the Masjid, i mean, thats no reason to stop making me go pray at the Masjid right? And i know they will go crazy if i mention that i want to pray Dhur, Asr, and Magrib at the masjid as well. They use the excuse that since only a few people go, and none of the other people are of my race that i should NOT go as well. Please, someone give me some advice on how to approach this situation. I really want to please Allah. Jazakallah Khair brothers and sisters

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
tigerkhan
06-10-2011, 05:06 AM
dont ur father believe in qadar and fate....? do they think that being in home, they can save u from any mishap what is written for u ?
we need to be brave and face life with it bitter realities. there is never happiness and happiness but sometime sadness also written for us. and we should accept it open heartily.
what u can do is try to make them understand in polite way with a lot of wisdom.
are u their only son ??? if so then be more polite and dont be aggressive. if u want a solution then it takes time (maybe months) to make up their mind to accept this.

جوري
06-10-2011, 05:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by halalmeat4free
praying 5 times a day at a Masjid is obligatory on male Muslims

Who says you have to pray all five prayers in a masjid?

:w:

Yanal
06-10-2011, 06:32 AM

Remain patient and just make du'a to Allaah,insha'Allaah will help you through this.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
marwen
06-10-2011, 07:28 AM
I don't agree with you guys, Praying in congregation (in a masjid or with a group of men) is obligatory from muslim men.

In al-Saheehayn (the following version was narrated by al-Bukhaari) it is narrated from Abu Hurayrah that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “By the One in Whose hand is my soul, I had thought of ordering that wood be gathered, then I would command the call to prayer to be given, and I would appoint a man to lead the people in prayer, then I would go to men [who do not attend the congregational prayer] and burn their houses down around them. By the One in Whose hand is my soul, if anyone of you had known that he would receive a bone covered with meat or two (small) pieces of meat in a sheep’s foot, he would come for 'Isha' prayer.” Al-Bukhaari, 7224; Muslim, 651.

Ibn al-Mundhir (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: The fact that he was thinking of burning down the houses of people who did not attend the prayer is the clearest evidence that attending prayer in congregation is obligatory, because it would not be permissible for the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) to do this with regard to something that was mustahabb and not obligatory. Al-Awsat, 4/134
For more information on the evidence, please see question no. 8918.

Once it is established that prayer in congregation is obligatory, it is obligatory to perform this prayer in the mosque. It is not permissible for a man who is able to attend the congregational prayer in the mosque to pray in his house even if he prays in congregation with his family.

Shaykh Ibn Baaz said:
With regard to not praying in congregation, this is a reprehensible action and is not permitted. It is also one of the attributes of the hypocrites.
It is obligatory for the Muslim to pray in the mosque in congregation, as it says in the hadeeth of Ibn Umm Maktoom – who was a blind man. He said, “O Messenger of Allaah, I do not have a guide to lead me to the mosque,” and he asked the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) to grant him a concession allowing him to pray in his house, and he allowed him that, but when he turned away he called him back and asked, “Can you hear the call to prayer?” He said, “Yes.” He said, “Then answer it.” Narrated by Muslim in his Saheeh, 635.
And it was narrated that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever hears the call to prayer and does not come, there is no prayer for him [i.e., his prayer is not valid], unless he has an excuse.” Narrated by Ibn Maajah, al-Daaraqutni, Ibn Hibbaan and al-Haakim with a saheeh isnaad. It was said to Ibn ‘Abbaas, what is an excuse? He said, Fear or sickness.
In Saheeh Muslim (654) it is narrated that Ibn Mas’ood said: “At the time of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) we used to think that no one failed to attend the prayer in congregation but a hypocrite or one who was sick.”

islamqa

ardianto
06-10-2011, 09:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by marwen
Once it is established that prayer in congregation is obligatory, it is obligatory to perform this prayer in the mosque. It is not permissible for a man who is able to attend the congregational prayer in the mosque to pray in his house even if he prays in congregation with his family.
But in this case the OP is not able to pray in masjid because his father forbids him to go to masjid.

al yunan
06-10-2011, 12:11 PM
Walaikum assalam brother,

As per the four Mathab if you Hear the adhan it becomes almosts Wajib for you to join the Jamaa unless you have a valid reason.
But the five daily prayers with the exception of Jumaat are not Fard to be in Jamaa.
I some how feel this is your excuse to break free from your father's authority, so try to be a bit more understanding and dragging you poor mother along ?
Inshallah one day you will also be a parent maybe then and only then you will understand.
As for brother Marwen the Hadith you mentioned is about those who have heard the Adhaan and ignore it and not every person.
The only thing one gets for following extremes in Islam is a extremely unhappy life.

Masalam

جوري
06-10-2011, 03:27 PM
You can have a congregation anywhere no? You meet with two other Muslims on campus and find an empty classroom and there is your congregation. Not everyone has the luxury of living next to a masjid, and not everyone has the luxury of even finding other Muslims in town.. ask Br. Mustafa when he travels to a place like Arkansas where they openly graffiti the walls with slogans calling for the murder of Muslims, how many other Muslims he sees?

It is better to offer your obligatory prayers than look for an excuse your circumstance to escape and thereby not fulfill them at all...

and Allah swt knows best

Jalal~
06-11-2011, 12:40 AM
so just to make sure, i wont be punished by Allah if i dont go, right? as long as i try to make an effort to persuade my parents, then its ok if it takes a few weeks or maybe months for them to understand?

format_quote Originally Posted by tigerkhan
are u their only son ???
i have another brother younger than me, and thanks for the advice.

and thanks marwen for posting that; i read that same article a while back, which encouraged me to pray at the Masjid :)

another article from Islam QA : Website: islam-qa com/en/ref/72398/congregation (just remember to add the dot before com and remove the space)
at the end of the article, it says that if one is too far from the masjid and they cannot hear the adhan, then it is ok to pray in congregation at home and their is no sin on them, but the Masjid is only 15-20 minutes away if i follow the speed limit, so its not too far.

the vales lily and flame--- praying at a Masjid is obligatory for brothers, not sisters, so i can kind of see why you two said that

and like i said, its summer so i am 100% able to go to the Masjid 5 times a day, its not like im busy with anything; during school time, i dont have that luxury, so i know its ok to pray with my friends.
And thanks to everyone else's advice, its really helping me out: Jazakallah Khair

:wa:

Flame of Hope
06-11-2011, 01:31 AM

I don't agree with you guys, Praying in congregation (in a masjid or with a group of men) is obligatory from muslim men.
Agreed that it is obligatory..... but only if you are able to do so.

The point is clear, isn't it? See the line in red. If one's ability to attend the congregation prayer in the masjid is taken away, then he is definitely excused.

And it was narrated that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever hears the call to prayer and does not come, there is no prayer for him [i.e., his prayer is not valid], unless he has an excuse.” Narrated by Ibn Maajah, al-Daaraqutni, Ibn Hibbaan and al-Haakim with a saheeh isnaad.
Let us not forget that Allah wishes for us ease not difficulty. So if we have a genuine valid reason for not attending the congregation prayer at the masjid, Allah is Most Forgiving.

I know of a man who was very particular about offering all his prayers in the masjid. Once his wife had still to return home but he didn't wait until she was home. He had heard the call of the adhan and had rushed to answer the call for prayer. He left his very young kids unattended at home, saying to himself that Allah would take care of them. Subhanallah!

Had he not gone to the masjid for the prayer, there would have been no blame on him, would there? He did have a valid excuse for not going.... but the idea that it was obligatory on him to do the prayer in the masid - no matter what - made him commit a bigger sin..... leaving kids who were in his care unattended.

So let's be a little fair and just about our assessment of our situation before we act. Prayer might be obligatory but if one encounters someone who is dying and needs immediate help, saving that person's life has higher priority than doing the prayer, even if it is obligatory. There was even a time when the Prophet (saws) and his companions were unable to do their prayers..... that was when Madina was under seige. Look it up in Islamic history. Of course, Allah pardoned them for not offering their obligatory prayers..... they did have a valid excuse!

Jalal~
06-11-2011, 01:40 AM
thanks for the advice tyrion; im trying my best gain as many good deeds as i can, i told my mom and she allowed me to go, and she told me she would make a request to my dad about it; Alhumdulilah, yes listening to parents is obligatory, and i try my best to fulfill as many of their wishes as i can, my mom said that she likes to see me try to do as many good deeds as i can; and i didnt mean to be rude to the sisters, nor did i disregard their opinion because their women, im not sexist or anything, i was merely said that because since they are women, they might have not known some sunnahs/obligatory acts males might practice. im pretty sure if i was asked any questions about good sunnahs/obligatory acts for women only to follow, i would have no clue, like about Hijabs, since i am a male, and i dont wear those. Sorry if i offended anyone. And between you and me, i really dont know if praying at a Masjid is obligatory or not, im just going off of the hadiths i read on the Islam QA website and i think it is; i am capable of going to the Masjid. And they say its dangerous based off stuff that has happened over 3 years ago, nothing recent. Im almost 17.

Jalal~
06-11-2011, 01:45 AM
flame, i didnt see your post, nice story at the end w/ the kids, thanks for showing me that; if i had kids, of course i wouldnt do that, lol. Im just a teen at home not busy with anything but Islam :)

Flame of Hope
06-11-2011, 02:44 AM

Sorry if i offended anyone.
Hey, I'm un-offendable. lol. You haven't offended me.... not even a teeny weeny bit.

i really dont know if praying at a Masjid is obligatory or not, im just going off of the hadiths i read on the Islam QA website and i think it is
There's information all over the place, dear brother in Islam. But we can't apply all of that info to our lives, no matter how true and authentic the information may be. That's because each individual case is unique. Circumstances differ from person to person. Personalities differ. There are many variables. Add to that the element of intention which determines the acceptability of any deed. We must also take into consideration the consequences of our actions should we make a decision to do something. Therefore, we cannot afford to see things in black and white. We have to allow room for flexibility. And we must always remember that Allah is The Most Merciful, The Most Gracious and The Most Kind.

It is when we forget Allah's mercy and power to forgive that we begin to take rules as absolute, as though breaking them would surely result in Allah's displeasure. It doesn't occur to some people that sometimes circumstances demand the rules to be broken. If they are not broken, it might create greater hardship for oneself or others. For example, when a person is on the verge of dying due to starvation, he can eat pork to save his own life. Even though pork is forbidden, in this case..... it is better to break the rule than to die.

One can't insist that rules must be followed under all circumstances.

So read and study, get your information...... but when you apply your knowledge, make sure that you are fair and just in your assessment of your situation. Whatever you do, it must not cause yourself hardship.... and it must most definitely NOT cause hardship or pain to others. Like in the story above..... the man was following the rule but he put his kids in danger to follow it. I hope you get the point.

Jalal~
06-12-2011, 05:09 PM
i do, it makes a lot more sense now, jazakallah khair. i feel like a burden has just been lifted haha

Hamza Asadullah
06-13-2011, 03:06 AM
Yea, so i understand praying 5 times a day at a Masjid is obligatory on male Muslims, and so during the school year, i listened to my parents when they told me i could not skip school to pray at a Masjid or anything because of my education. I understood that. But now its freaking summer, and i cant even go to pray any prayer. I am barely able to go pray Isha prayer at the Masjid because now my Dad says that he thinks im too young and im going to get shot or something along those lines. He is making my mom come with me to the Masjid now, and now i dont like that either, because im well aware of the fact that it is better for Muslim women to pray at home than at the Masjid. And i know their arent any other women at the Masjid because the door to the womens area is always closed and lights are off. And both of my parents wont let me drive to the Masjid for Fajr Prayer either. I mean, come on, i hit puberty years ago, and i am very familiar with the city, ive practically lived here my whole life. I mean, ok, theirs been only a few fights, and maybe 1 shooting, and a few prostitutes about 2 miles away from the Masjid, i mean, thats no reason to stop making me go pray at the Masjid right? And i know they will go crazy if i mention that i want to pray Dhur, Asr, and Magrib at the masjid as well. They use the excuse that since only a few people go, and none of the other people are of my race that i should NOT go as well. Please, someone give me some advice on how to approach this situation. I really want to please Allah. Jazakallah Khair brothers and sisters

Jazakallahu khayr for sharing your issues with us. Firstly we have to realise that as men it is obligatory upon us to pray at the Masjid if we live near a Masjid and it is possible to offer our prayers in one without a valid excuse. This is because the Prophet (Sallallahu alaihi wasallam) said:

“I had considered ordering for the prayer to be established, then I would order every man to pray and set loose men who have with them logs of wood upon a people who did not come to the prayer and I would burn their houses with the fire.”

This clearly indicates that there is no excuse for men to make a congregation at home if they have a Masjid near them and it is possible for them to pray in one.

Imam al-Shafi`i (Allah have mercy on him) said in hisal-Umm: “I do not allow anyone who is able to attend the congregational prayer to miss it, unless they have an excuse.” [Shafii, al-Umm, 1.154]

Obviously we all have different situations. Some of us live near a Masjid. Some very far. For some of us it is too dangerous to venture out on our own or it maybe that we live in extreme climates etc.

So in your situation you should try to go to the Masjid where possible. If it is not dangerous for you for venture out to the Masjid as you have clearly stated then you should make every effort to pray your Fard Salaah's at the Masjid. The more effort you make to pray at the house of Allah the more reward you will get.

Naturally parents will worry but you should try and re-assure them that it is not as dangerous as before and you should also educate them of the importance of praying at the Masjid because unfortunately many of us are not away of how important it is and see it as optional.

As mentioned already if it is possible to pray in the Masjid then one should make every effort to do so. If the Masjid is too far or it is too dangerous to venture out or the weather too extreme then one should make congregation at home.

By being "too far" it is meant that if it is genuinely difficult to get to a Masjid because of how far it is or if it is in such a location that it is very difficult to get to etc. If it is possible to attend with even a little hardship then one should make every effort to do so for their are HUGE rewards in praying at the house of Allah.

However, for those who are unable to pray at the mosque but able to pray in congregation with other Muslims (such as co-workers or one’s wife). They get the reward of praying in congregation if they take the means and establish such congregations at work or at home. Then, when they are able to go to the mosque, they should hasten to do so. If, while doing this, they have the firm and sincere intention that had they been able to go to the mosque they genuinely would have, they get (some or all of the) reward of praying at the mosque itself, as rigorously authentic hadiths of the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) clearly explain. [Shurunbulali, Imdad al-Fattah Sharh Nur al-Idah; Tahtawi, Hashiyat al-Maraqi]

So where ever we are whether it is at work, school, shopping centre etc we should try and establisah a congregation where possible and with the right intention we would gain immense reward of praying Salaah with congregation.

Here are some Virtues of praying at the Masjid:

He (Sallallahu Alaihi wasallam) also said, “ Prayer in congregation is superior to prayer alone by twenty seven degrees.” [Bukhari & Muslim, from Ibn Umar (Allah be pleased with him)]

Abu Hurairah (RA) reported: The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wasallam) said, "He who goes to the mosque in the morning or in the evening, Allah prepares for him a place in Jannah whenever he goes to the mosque in the morning and returns from it in the evening.''
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Abu Hurairah (RA) reported: The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wasallam) said, "He who purifies (performs Wudu') himself in his house and then walks to one of the houses of Allah (mosque) for performing an obligatory Salat, one step of his will wipe out his sins and another step will elevate his rank (in Jannah).'' [Muslim].

Subhanallah! Every step is a reward so the further the Masjid the more reward for every step.

Abu Musa (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wasallam) said, "The person who will receive the highest reward for Salat (prayer) is the one who comes to perform it in the mosque from the farthest distance. And he who waits for Salat to perform it with the Imam (in congregation) will have a greater reward than the one who observes it alone and then goes to sleep.'' [Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wasallam) said, "Shall I not tell you something by which Allah effaces the sins and elevates the ranks (in Jannah).'' The Companions said: "Yes (please tell us), O Messenger of Allah.'' He said, "Performing the Wudu' properly in spite of difficult circumstances, walking with more paces to the mosque, and waiting for the next Salat (prayer) after a observing Salat; and that is Ar-Ribat, and that is Ar-Ribat.'' [Muslim].

So the further one lives from the Masjid the more reward they will gain for attending the Masjid!

Buraidah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi wasallam) said, "Convey glad tidings to those who walk to the mosque in the darkness. For they will be given full light on the Day of Resurrection.'' [At-Tirmidhi and Abu Dawud].

'Uthman ibn 'Affan said, "I heard the Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu Alaihi wasallam): 'If someone prays 'Isha' in a group, it is as if he had prayed half of the night. If someone prays Subh in a group, it is as if he had prayed the entire night.'" [Muslim]

Abu Hurayra reported that the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wasallam), said, "And if they only knew what was in the prayers of 'Isha' and Subh, they would come to them even if they had to crawl." [Agreed upon]

Abu Hurayra reported that the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wasallam) said, "There is no prayer heavier on the hypocrites than Fajr and 'Isha'. If they only knew what is in them, they would come to them even if they had to crawl." [Agreed upon]

Abu Sa`id Al-Khudri (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wasallam) said, "When you see a man frequenting the mosque, testify that he is a believer because Allah says: `Allah's mosques are visited only by those who believe in Allah and the Last Day.'''
[At-Tirmidhi].

And Allah knows best in all matters

Jalal~
06-14-2011, 01:20 AM
Jazakallah Khair bro, thank you so much for taking the time to post your advice and all of the hadiths, i will definitely show this to my parents! May Allah grant us All the highest level of Paradise.

Ooi
03-10-2018, 02:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jalal~
I understand it. Same problem here. My parents are worried ill get misleaded by isis etc.

My parents say keep your religion with yourself. Pray 5x a day(if possible), and keep the connection between you and Allah to yourself.
Muslims have to listen to their parents no matter what, so i did.

Aaqib
03-14-2018, 02:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ooi
I understand it. Same problem here. My parents are worried ill get misleaded by isis etc.

My parents say keep your religion with yourself. Pray 5x a day(if possible), and keep the connection between you and Allah to yourself.
Muslims have to listen to their parents no matter what, so i did.
Not no matter what. They are boundaries for the parents.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!