/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Games and books that contain magic material

Samiun
06-11-2011, 01:39 PM
:sl: wr br, how many of you who actually think that games with magic are haram? I remember when I read the fatwa from Sheikh Al-Munajjid and got really shocked. I was trying to act like a sahabah who would follow what the Prophet S.A.W. but this time I was placed in a position whether to believe or not to and finally stopped playing games like this completely. Few months went by, I came across a game which I really liked during primary school. I played it until a few stages/days then I realize I was playing a game that contained magic. So I thought to myself, "Oh no... :(, I have to leave this game too?". The thing is that, the game I mentioned is a mixed bag kinda game. It has quests, buildings to built and a time portal to another dimension which I thought was cool. Half of it was based on reality and another half was magic. Too bad my ps2 broke down and I am unable to continue this game. So I came to the conclusion that it's okay to play games which contain these elements but not to believe in them. Also for games like god of war and Diablo 3(Well based on it's cover I can tell it's full of devils).

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
missy
06-11-2011, 02:15 PM
:sl: bro,

i get ur point...
in fact most of the cool games have magic in em, like prince of persia, assasain's creed, harry potter, pokemon etc...i used to play such games..i still do..just last month i was too much into playin prince of persia...i almost forgot that one shouldn't be playin such kinda games...until i came across this thread..thanks to you....even tho u seem to find it alright...atleast u reminded someone to stay away from stuff like it....:D

I believe that there is a lot of evil in these games....and one should avoid indulging in em...and moreover if there has been a fatwa against it then u should definitely avoid playin such games..provided the fatwa is from an authentic source...Shk. al-munajjid is the one on islamqa.com right?....i too rememba reading some of his fatwas..
that said...you have other options like racing games...they are much better!...soccer games are good too...FIFA street2 is awesome!

format_quote Originally Posted by Samiun
The thing is that, the game I mentioned is a mixed bag kinda game. It has quests, buildings to built and a time portal to another dimension which I thought was cool. Half of it was based on reality and another half was magic. Too bad my ps2 broke down and I am unable to continue this game.
Perhaps ur PS2 broke down cuz Allah SWT wanted to save u from the evils of that game...and He Knows what's Good for you!

IAmZamzam
06-11-2011, 02:17 PM
There's only one question you have to ask yourself: is it making you want to get into actual magic?

No?

Then forget about it.

Just_A_Girl13
06-11-2011, 02:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yahya Sulaiman
There's only one question you have to ask yourself: is it making you want to get into actual magic? No? Then forget about it.
Salam brother,

I'm a bit confused by this. Does that mean it's okay to play these types of games in moderation as long as you don't believe in them?

Peace be with you

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
IAmZamzam
06-11-2011, 02:34 PM
Of course it does.

If I were you guys I would focus more on the evils present in reality, instead of harping on the meaningless and harmless vagaries of fiction. If your game gets in the way of your duties to God then that's a problem; otherwise it's no worse for you than playing a game of chess in which the pieces happen to be shaped like wizards and witches. The important thing in a video game is the gameplay; the characters and mythos could usually just as easily have been one thing as another.

Samiun
06-12-2011, 09:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by peacelover
:sl: bro,

i get ur point...
in fact most of the cool games have magic in em, like prince of persia, assasain's creed, harry potter, pokemon etc...i used to play such games..i still do..just last month i was too much into playin prince of persia...i almost forgot that one shouldn't be playin such kinda games...until i came across this thread..thanks to you....even tho u seem to find it alright...atleast u reminded someone to stay away from stuff like it....:D

I believe that there is a lot of evil in these games....and one should avoid indulging in em...and moreover if there has been a fatwa against it then u should definitely avoid playin such games..provided the fatwa is from an authentic source...Shk. al-munajjid is the one on islamqa.com right?....i too rememba reading some of his fatwas..
that said...you have other options like racing games...they are much better!...soccer games are good too...FIFA street2 is awesome!

Perhaps ur PS2 broke down cuz Allah SWT wanted to save u from the evils of that game...and He Knows what's Good for you!
I agree that racing games such as grand turismo is and PES2011 is awesome but most game do contain magic such as Star Wars, Warcraft, Dynasty Warriors 7 , Starcraft etc :skeleton:

IAmZamzam
06-16-2011, 06:25 PM
In the world of fiction magic is an all-purpose plot device that allows the writers to put less work into explaining the how and why of their stories' mythos. Nothing more.

Who Am I?
06-16-2011, 10:07 PM
I am of the belief that Allah (swt) is not against us having a bit of fun while we're here. That would just be unnecessarily cruel if we couldn't have some fun in our lives.

When I was a Christian, I played video games all of the time, and I still enjoy the occasional gaming session. I don't see anything wrong with it. Just because I play RPG's on the Xbox, it doesn't make me want to grab a sword and go kill a dragon. I know the difference between real life and fiction. It's just something I do to have fun and take my mind off of my adult problems for a little while.

And PES2011 is awesome. I have a really good Uzbekistan CF I created that can score goals like crazy. He's only 20 years old and just signed a contract with Inter. I haven't played in a while, but I should really go back and play that game some more now...

Muhammad
06-16-2011, 10:40 PM
Assalaamu Alaykum,

There's nothing wrong with having fun. But we do need to be careful about assuming something is OK just because it doesn't distract us from duties/cause us to carry out the action in real life etc. I'm not saying whether games containing magic are allowed or not, but rather that the matter may not be so simple and we need to exercise caution when passing judgement. If we take music for example, some people argue that it doesn't distract them from their duties so it should be allowed to listen to. But the real issue is obedience to Allaah (swt), who has clearly forbidden it.

And Allaah (swt) knows best.

Dagless
06-16-2011, 11:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Samiun
I agree that racing games such as grand turismo is and PES2011 is awesome but most game do contain magic such as Star Wars, Warcraft, Dynasty Warriors 7 , Starcraft etc :skeleton:
I think a better term is fiction or fantasy games. Saying magic makes it sounds like the black arts when actually it's just the storyline of a game.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!