/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Bahrain medics on trial over protests

Darth Ultor
06-15-2011, 11:34 PM
Bahrain medics on trial over protests
Trial of 48 medical workers accused of attempting to topple the monarchy opens amid condemnation by rights groups.

Last Modified: 13 Jun 2011 09:04

Bahrain has begun the trials of 48 medical professionals accused of attempting to topple the monarchy.
Those on trial include some of the country's top surgeons, accused of supporting weeks of pro-democracy protests in the country.
It is the latest trial at a special security tribunal set up by Bahrain's rulers amid a far-reaching crackdown in the kingdom, which is home to the US Navy's 5th Fleet.
Human rights organisations have condemned the trials, saying the staff are being hounded for treating hundreds of wounded protesters.
Speaking to Al Jazeera, David Michalski, of Medecins Sans Frontiers, said the move had far-reaching consequences for patients in Bahrain.
Salmaniya Hospital, Bahrain's main state-run hospital, was the scene of anti-government protests during the unrest that began in February.
"The hospital became politicised. And then in the middle of March it became militarised in the military crackdown," Michalski said.

"The net effect of this, including the detention of the doctors and the medical personnel, the net effect for the patient is some patients are very fearful, and they don't know where to go when they are sick and injured, [or] if they are injured in these protests."
Michalski said wounded patients should be entitled to treatment, regardless of "what side" they were on.
"Medical personnel should be allowed to deliver that treatment in an impartial manner," he said.

Bahrain is ruled and dominated by a Sunni minority, Bahrain has a Shia majority population. Tension between the two communities has been festering for years.
To balance the population, the government is accused of granting thousands of citizenships to Sunni workers.
Bahrain, a US ally that hosts the US Navy's Fifth Fleet, called in troops from its fellow Sunni-led Gulf neighbour Saudi Arabia to help it crush the pro-democracy protests in March.
The kingdom's rulers blamed sectarianism and Iran's manipulation of the protests.
The country's Sunni leaders, however, lifted military-run emergency laws in June 1 in a bid for talks with Shia groups and other opposition factions.

But Shia leaders insist that authorities must ease security pressures and protest-linked trials before dialogue can occur.

Source:
Al Jazeera and agencies

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Who Am I?
06-16-2011, 02:45 AM
I find it ironic and hypocritical that the US government was so quick to publicly support the revolution in Egypt, yet turned a blind eye when the Bahrain government ruthlessly suppressed the revolution in their country.

I shouldn't really be surprised though. This is the same government that put Diem in charge of South Vietnam only leave him in the wind as he was assassinated eight years later.

إحسان
06-23-2011, 12:39 PM
It's funny how the majority in Bahrain are Shia and the government is Sunni... They might as well step down to be honest, but I fear for the Sunni minority. My friend is actually a Sunni Bahraini, and she alwaaays talks about how the Shia and Sunni community constantly crash and argue with one another thus she hates going to her OWN country. But no doubt is there injustice towards the Shia, that is definite.

Darth Ultor
06-23-2011, 12:53 PM
Geez, DOES THAT SOUND FAMILIAR?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
GuestFellow
06-23-2011, 05:13 PM
Salaam,

I never in the past expected the monarchies to be this ruthless and evil. It does surprise me sometimes. This does sound familiar. I remember during the protests in Iran, the government blamed the BBC. In this case, the Bahrain government are blaming Iran.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!