/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Why Pray?

Riana17
06-17-2011, 10:23 PM
Salam

I am inspired by Ms Flame to asked this: WHY WE HAVE TO PRAY?

I would like to take this opportunity that knowing the reasons behind it helped me pray in fajr and avoid the delay in praying as much as possible,,, very useful for New MUSLIMS and lazy Muslims like me

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Flame of Hope
06-17-2011, 10:49 PM
:sl:

format_quote Originally Posted by Riana17
WHY WE HAVE TO PRAY?
We pray because it's obligatory on us. Made compulsory by Allah and His Messenger (saws).

What I'd like to know is how to avoid making the salat a mechanical performance of limbs.

When I do the salat, I feel like I'm entering the battlefield. Anyone feels the same?

Riana17
06-18-2011, 04:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Riham

We pray because it's obligatory on us. Made compulsory by Allah and His Messenger (saws).

What I'd like to know is how to avoid making the salat a mechanical performance of limbs.

When I do the salat, I feel like I'm entering the battlefield. Anyone feels the same?

Salam Ms Flame .. I mean Ms Riham :P

Actually your answer is quiet good but as a "lazy" & new Muslim, it wont make me wake up for fajr when Im having a very good night sleep... zzzzzzz

Flame of Hope
06-18-2011, 04:30 AM
Salam Ms Flame .. I mean Ms Riham :P

Actually your answer is quiet good but as a "lazy" & new Muslim, it wont make me wake up for fajr when Im having a very good night sleep... zzzzzzz
You saw through my disguise?!!! :omg:

Anyway, I hope there will be people who can give you better answers than I can. Answers that will make you get up for your fajr prayer in a jiffy.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Riana17
06-18-2011, 05:34 AM

You saw through my disguise?!!! :omg:

Anyway, I hope there will be people who can give you better answers than I can. Answers that will make you get up for your fajr prayer in a jiffy.

Lool sis I know enough for you to disguise me :D

well I hope really that someone can give me the EXACT answer
that can kick all the evil in my body and pray :cry::cry::cry:

Who Am I?
06-18-2011, 05:35 AM
I pray because it makes me feel better. I have to tell someone about my problems, and I can't tell anyone else right now, so I might as well tell God. I can't change myself. I have learned that much. Only God can change me, and He can't do it unless I want Him to and ask Him to.

That's why I pray. To become a better person.

Riana17
06-18-2011, 05:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Just a Guy
I pray because it makes me feel better. I have to tell someone about my problems, and I can't tell anyone else right now, so I might as well tell God. I can't change myself. I have learned that much. Only God can change me, and He can't do it unless I want Him to and ask Him to.

That's why I pray. To become a better person.

SALAM brother, another good answer BUT it's not what Im looking for, it wont convince me as much

Charity, good deeds, kindness etc can make me a better person, BUT WHY pray???

Who Am I?
06-18-2011, 05:50 AM
Salaam sister.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything. I just answered the question. :D

Riana17
06-18-2011, 06:21 AM
Salaam sister.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything. I just answered the question. :D
lool okay so no one can tell me why I should pray????:cry::cry::cry:

Dagless
06-18-2011, 06:35 AM
Hmm so I'm not the only one who prays with an uzi tucked under their shirt... just watch it going down for the sajda or you're going to have a bad day.

Riana17
06-18-2011, 08:48 AM
So no one can really tell me why I have to pray :cry::cry::cry:

Where's the IB genius

Innocent Soul
06-18-2011, 09:52 AM
^ Stop crying and wait for other replies.

I like to pray because I feel a sort of relax. Many of us are really busy we have many important things to do I sometimes feel that I am in a race and I have to run as fast as I could and that I should not stop for a minute or else I will not win. We take a little break and thank Allah for giving us so many blessing, ask for his help when we work hard and I really feel like I am talking to him.

Indeed, I am Allah . There is no deity except Me, so worship Me and establish prayer for My remembrance.(Surah Taha 20:14)

I have a problem in praying on time. I think it depends on our determination and will power. I made a small chart on it I will write all the dates of the week, tick it when I pray on time and a cross when not on time. Make timings
Eg: I have to pray Isha before hh:mm.

Yeah I sometimes feel so because I remember all important things when I am praying. I will try to remember that thing for almost 5-10 minutes but I remember that thing when I will be trying to concentrate on my prayer :mmokay:.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything. I just answered the question.
Me to. :alright: So if this you are not satisfied that's not my fault :giggling:.

Riana17
06-18-2011, 10:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Safiya 1
^ Stop crying and wait for other replies.

I like to pray because I feel a sort of relax. Many of us are really busy we have many important things to do I sometimes feel that I am in a race and I have to run as fast as I could and that I not stop for a minute or else I will not win. We take a little break and thank Allah for giving us so many blessing, ask for his help when we work hard and I really feel like I am talking to him.

Indeed, I am Allah . There is no deity except Me, so worship Me and establish prayer for My remembrance.(Surah Taha 20:14)

I have a problem in praying on time. I think it depends on our determination and will power. I made a small table on it I will write all the dates of the week, tick it when I pray on time and a cross when not on time. Make timings
Eg: I have to pray Isha before hh:mm.

Yeah I sometimes feel so because I remember all important things when I am praying. I will try to remember that thing when I was going to remember almost for 10 minutes but I remember that thing when I will be trying to concentrate on my prayer.

Me to. So if this you are not satisfied that's not my fault :giggling:.

Salam sis, Im still crying:cry::cry:, what you said is good, however that answer will not make me get up in the bed esp during fajr and Im middle of dreams zzzzzzzzzz :yawn::yawn:

ISLAM is full of intellectual people, I hope someone can present the best ANSWERR

come on guys, trust me the answer to this question is worth knowing and will actually very effective for lazy people like me and those who are already skipping the prayers

Now pls think again, I HAVE TO prayyyy becauseee??

Salahudeen
06-18-2011, 12:59 PM
Here is your answer

Verily As-Salat(the prayer) prevents from Al-Fahsha (i.e great sins of every kind, unlawful sexual intercourse etc) and Al-Munkar (i.e Disbelief, polythiesm, and every kind of evil wicked deed) 29:45

Allah also told Musa "Establish prayer for my remembrance"

So pray to establish the rememberance of Allah.

Also the Prophet (saw) said, remember Allah in times of ease and Allah will remember you in times of difficulty, I think he told this
to Abdullah ibn Abbas when he was a young boy.

Establishing the worship of prayer is one of the best ways to remember Allah, and worship is an expression of love, and when you
love someone, the love you have for them, makes you want to obey them and earn their pleasure by being obedient to them.

Prayer also purifies us of our sins, and we need to be pure people to enter jannah.

Riana17
06-18-2011, 05:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Salahudeen
Here is your answer

Verily As-Salat(the prayer) prevents from Al-Fahsha (i.e great sins of every kind, unlawful sexual intercourse etc) and Al-Munkar (i.e Disbelief, polythiesm, and every kind of evil wicked deed) 29:45

Allah also told Musa "Establish prayer for my remembrance"

So pray to establish the rememberance of Allah.

Also the Prophet (saw) said, remember Allah in times of ease and Allah will remember you in times of difficulty, I think he told this
to Abdullah ibn Abbas when he was a young boy.

Establishing the worship of prayer is one of the best ways to remember Allah, and worship is an expression of love, and when you
love someone, the love you have for them, makes you want to obey them and earn their pleasure by being obedient to them.

Prayer also purifies us of our sins, and we need to be pure people to enter jannah.

Salam Brother, I've seen this video before and its really nice, I do like Brother Nouman Ali Khan. he knows what he is saying, but the answer I am looking for can make someone STAND up and pray esp for FAJR

HMMM shall I say why we really have to PRAYYYYYY???

cat eyes
06-18-2011, 05:44 PM
if you dont want to pray then don't pray. Allah does not need his servants to worship him, he only asks! brother salahudeens post gave best answer

Riana17
06-18-2011, 05:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
if you dont want to pray then don't pray. Allah does not need his servants to worship him, he only asks! brother salahudeens post gave best answer
Hehe Salam sis, in my post I already mentioned Im praying,alhamdollelah, ofcourse I need it, prayer, good deeds etc if for my benefits, but I want someone to give the best answer, why Muslims have to pray???

Salahudeen
06-18-2011, 06:23 PM
Go here and scroll down http://www.alghurabaa.org/books/salah/

there is a whole book dedicated to the topic of why we pray.

Why Do We Pray

By Dr. Suhaib Hasan | Language: English | Format: PDF | Pages: 18 | Size: 1 MB

Why does Man need to Pray?. After a long and hectic day at work, how difficult it is for a tired person to stand on the prayer-mat and concentrate on his prayers to Allah Almighty. Snuggled in a warm and cozy bed, how difficult it is to get up at the call of Mu’adhdhin: “Come to prayer, come to success.”

download
http://www.alghurabaa.org/books/sala...haib-hasan.pdf

Ğħαrєєвαħ
06-18-2011, 06:27 PM
As'Salaamu Alaaykum..

I believe all answers provided are good answers..

The words of Allaah should be enough to convince one.

I believe salaah is the second pillar of Islaam..Without salaah it would not make me a muslim, with salaah I am certain that I am on the right track.. According to a hadeeth one who stops praying salaah his faith becomes weak, we dont want this to happen to us we should strive to do our best and not make excuses because in reality there are no excuses to miss salaah..and if so we will be accountable for every action and it is us who will be asked to give an answer..

It is an act that leads one to success according to the Qur'aan

"Successful indeed are the believers.Those who offer their Salat (prayers) with all solemnity and full submissiveness." [Al Qur'aan 23:1-2]

Those who keep up with their salaah are honoured in the eyes of Allaah the most high..

"And those who stand firm in their testimonies; And those who guard their Salat (prayers) well. Such shall dwell in the Gardens (i.e. Paradise) honoured."[Al Qur'aan 70:33-35]

And there may be more reasons but in surah Ad-Dhariyaat Allaah says:

"And I (Allah) created not the jinns and humans except they should worship Me (Alone). I seek not any provision from them (i.e. provision for themselves or for My creatures) nor do I ask that they should feed Me (i.e. feed themselves or My creatures)."
[Al Qur'aan Adh-Dhariyaat 51:56-57]

Also I believe salaah is a perfect way to lower ones gaze, e.g. when in salaah one is required to keep their gaze fixed in one place and nowhere else.

"A warning to mankind, To any of you that chooses to go forward (by working righteous deeds), or to remain behind (by commiting sins), Every person is a pledge for what he has earned, Except those on the Right, (i.e. the pious true believers of Islamic Monotheism); In Gardens (Paradise) they will ask one another, About Al-Mujrimun (polytheists, criminals, disbelievers, etc.), (And they will say to them): "What has caused you to enter Hell?" They will say: "We were not of those who used to offer their Salat (prayers)."[Al Qur'aan 74:36-43]

may Allaah SWT reward us for our efforts and grant us all happiness in dunya and akhiraah Aameen

.. peace ..

Riana17
06-18-2011, 07:05 PM
Salam to All,

I've been bothering you Isnt it? okay let me give the answer that really kicked the evil in me.

I have to pray because... THERE IS NO COMMAND, Non Whatsoever that was prescribed on US in HEAVEN except "SALAH".
Every other IBADAH or rituals that we have was prescribed on EARTH through Angel Gibrel (pbuh) with exception of "SALAH"

It was reserved to be given to our Prophet Mohd (pbuh) with special ONE ON ONE Meeting (Prophet Ascencion) between Him and Allah (SWT)
Salah is so important that Allah prescribed it to Prophet Mohd in direct conversation without anyone in BETWEEN (same for Prophet Mosa)
This is to show how important "Salah" is
Prophet Mohd said that Salah is so important that when someone leave and ignore the prayer, it is equivalent to leaving ISLAM

Prayer is the Most Important Ritual in ISLAM, it is something that no one is excused from
Everything else have excuse, HAJJ, Fasting, Charity, etc
However a Muslim must pray even he is paralyzed or in comma, even when the battle is going on...
If a person left the prayer intentionally, he has left the fold of ISLAM

Knowing this actually helped me perform my prayer on time and wake up for fajr, alhamdollelah

Sorry brothers and sisters, I have been struggling to pray in fajr and this was the most effective reason behind me waking up in fajr, all your input was excellent Masha Allah

I Hope this will be a help to others to wake up in fajr and perform the 5prayers/day, and by the way one best technique to pray for fajr is to have an intention before sleeping, inshallah
aside from remembering the above

Flame of Hope
06-18-2011, 07:43 PM

Knowing this actually helped me perform my prayer on time and wake up for fajr, alhamdollelah
My dear sister, people are motivated by different reasons. For you, it was the reason that Salah was a command given to us by Allah in Heaven. Alhamdulillah! I'm glad you got the motivation you needed.

But please recognize that not everybody may be motivated by the reason that motivated you. We are all unique individuals, with different tastes, personalities, likes, dislikes, life experiences, levels of knowledge. What works for one person may not work for another.

Nevertheless, thank you for sharing your experience with us. I hope that it will also benefit and motivate someone who has a hard time getting up for Fajr.

Peace be with you.

Riana17
06-18-2011, 07:53 PM

My dear sister, people are motivated by different reasons. For you, it was the reason that Salah was a command given to us by Allah in Heaven. Alhamdulillah! I'm glad you got the motivation you needed.

But please recognize that not everybody may be motivated by the reason that motivated you. We are all unique individuals, with different tastes, personalities, likes, dislikes, life experiences, levels of knowledge. What works for one person may not work for another.

Nevertheless, thank you for sharing your experience with us. I hope that it will also benefit and motivate someone who has a hard time getting up for Fajr.

Peace be with you.
Salam sis

Agreed!
We are all different that's why I speak on my personal experience, I didnt say that one's input will not be good for others, I actually appreciate them
However, i thought after knowing the importance of Salah and actually works on me, I feel so obliged to share, for new Muslims and lazy Muslims, i hope this will be a help

I told myself, hmmm its clear to me that Salah is the Most Important form of IBADAH and I still ignore it, i dont know what else will motivate me,,, sure I can skip fasting and sadaqah with valid reason but there is no way to skip salah,,, alhamdollelah it was enough for me to realize I need to improve,

AS I said, there is no tricks or magic in Islam, its a process. This is big deal to me, i wanna keep praying in fajr and avoid delay of my prayers.
During my Atheist/Christian time, i dont even go to church for 3years, shame lol

Salahudeen
06-19-2011, 01:43 PM
I'm motivated by something else, when I was little I wanted to be in the army, and you know how in the army you're not allowed to disobey commands from the leader, it's very big crime if you disobey orders. Well what motivates me is this, I think of myself as a solider and a command from Allah should not be disobeyed especially since it comes from the highest authority. he is my commander and master, and I am his soldier and slave. This motivates me to pray, I like this kind of lifestyle.

If only there was an army to join that was not defending secularism and democracy.

Who Am I?
06-19-2011, 05:01 PM
I almost joined the US Army as you know from reading my story. I'm glad I didn't now.

There is a similar concept in Christianity. There are even a few hymns and songs dedicated to it.

sister herb
06-20-2011, 07:51 PM
Yes yes yes!

Just_A_Girl13
06-20-2011, 08:43 PM
Not that I'm really in a position to answer, but yes. Definitely yes.

Flame of Hope
06-20-2011, 09:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Just_A_Girl13
Not that I'm really in a position to answer, but yes. Definitely yes.
I'm not the only one!! Alhamdulillah!

Nowhere do we fight Shaytan so intensely as we do when we do your prayer. It can be classified as a MAJOR BATTLE, in my opinion. :) But a battle certainly worth the fight.

Now where are my weapons? lol.

Futuwwa
06-20-2011, 10:16 PM
Ah, fajr. Shaytaan's last stronghold in my case. But I'm making progress. The siege guns are grinding down the walls slowly but surely, and he's surrounded and the perimeter mined so he can't get out :)

Commence fajr, fajr at will. Make ready, present, fajr.

Who Am I?
06-21-2011, 01:10 AM
I almost feel sometimes like praying a warrior's prayer when I am doing salaat:

"Allah, make my sword arm steady and my aim true. May my sword be ever sharp and my shield ever firm. May I not falter when surrounded by enemies, but may I stand firm and face them with a strong heart."

At times I have even quoted the Psalms from the Bible. "Oh Lord, let me not be ashamed. Let not my enemies triumph over me." "Blessed be the Lord my God who guides my hands to war and teaches my fingers to fight."

Maybe I'm breaking some kind of protocol there, but I'll chalk it up to being new to Islam.

sabr*
06-21-2011, 01:43 AM

"Allah, make my sword arm steady and my aim true. May my sword be ever sharp and my shield ever firm. May I not falter when surrounded by enemies, but may I stand firm and face them with a strong heart."

At times I have even quoted the Psalms from the Bible. "Oh Lord, let me not be ashamed. Let not my enemies triumph over me." "Blessed be the Lord my God who guides my hands to war and teaches my fingers to fight."

Maybe I'm breaking some kind of protocol there, but I'll chalk it up to being new to Islam.

As-Salāmu `Alaykum (السلام عليكم):

Akhi Just A Guy:

Islam doesn't require its adherents to incorporate anything other than what Nabi (Prophet) Muhammad (

) practiced in his daily prayer (Salah).

Your admission of altering and including sayings, supplications or prayers are considered bi'da (innovation).

Islam is already perfected and we as adherents only need to apply Islam.

Not surprised that the new adherents are not receiving the basic fundamentals and application.

Your entire thought process will require adjustment. Your former rituals will have to be measured
against what Islam permits or prohibits. That will only be acquired with learning.

Just not understanding the need to gather post counts verses knowledge of Islam.

You will be strong as your understanding will carry you.

Sahih Bukhari Volume 1, Book 2, Number 55:

Narrated Jarir bin Abdullah:

I gave the pledge of allegiance to Allah's Apostle for the following:

1. offer prayers perfectly

2. pay the Zakat (obligatory charity)

3. and be sincere and true to every Muslim.

Who Am I?
06-21-2011, 01:45 AM
Never mind. I made a mistake, but it was an honest one.

Starrynight
06-21-2011, 01:56 AM
Well, I personally pray for guidance. I have heard some Muslim's enjoy prayer because it keeps them pure in heart and mind. It is harder to say bad things about people or break the rules if you stop and really think about God 5 times a day.

Flame of Hope
06-21-2011, 05:10 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by sabr*
Your admission of altering and including sayings, supplications or prayers are considered bi'da (innovation).
Brother sabr, I would hardly classify that as bi'da.

Before you give out any advice perhaps it might be helpful to understand the brother's point of view and situation. He accepted Islam a few days ago and you are expecting him to follow the rules perfectly? If he doesn't do it right, you would label him as an innovator?! Subhanallah!

Not surprised that the new adherents are not receiving the basic fundamentals and application.

Your entire thought process will require adjustment. Your former rituals will have to be measured
against what Islam permits or prohibits. That will only be acquired with learning.

Just not understanding the need to gather post counts verses knowledge of Islam.
Perhaps if you were in his shoes, you would have done a better job.

La ilaha il Allah, Muhammaddar Rasul Allah.

Ramadhan
06-21-2011, 08:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Starrynight
Well, I personally pray for guidance. I have heard some Muslim's enjoy prayer because it keeps them pure in heart and mind. It is harder to say bad things about people or break the rules if you stop and really think about God 5 times a day.

Exactly. the obligatory 5 times a day shalah is actually for our benefits.
Some people have spiritual inclination to always remember God and love to pray, but many are not like this. So can you imagine if there were no obligation to do 5 times a day shalah: these people would completely forget about God and afterlife.

Salahudeen
06-21-2011, 11:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by King of Nines

If you go to this link and scroll down, there's a video called "pray as you have seen me pray", the video contains details of how to pray and what are the prescribed things that we have to recite in our salah.

http://www.kalamullah.com/new-muslims.html

Never mind. I made a mistake, but it was an honest one.
Don't worry about it bro, which one of us is free from mistakes :)

sabr*
06-21-2011, 06:27 PM

Brother sabr, I would hardly classify that as bi'da.

Before you give out any advice perhaps it might be helpful to understand the brother's point of view and situation. He accepted Islam a few days ago and you are expecting him to follow the rules perfectly? If he doesn't do it right, you would label him as an innovator?! Subhanallah!

Perhaps if you were in his shoes, you would have done a better job.

La ilaha il Allah, Muhammaddar Rasul Allah.

Ukhti Riham:

we will refrain from responding to your emotional outburst and reiterate the facts you are apparently unaware. Perhaps the next time you post you will have all the facts. Research the arabic word bi'da (innovation and all the aspects)

Our communication with Akhi Just A Guy in threads and PM have been nothing but supportive and most of all providing
constructive direction. Just A Guy isn't a teenager he is a adult. You communicate with adults as adults. The lukewarm
approach provides lukewarm results.

We have requested that he establish an offline presence at the his local Masjid and refrain from the online posting that doesn't appear to be assisting his admission of doubts.

The IB has endless threads that will assist in educating those who desire to learn
the basic fundamentals. A person has to want to learn it.

Sahih Bukhari Volume 9, Book 84, Number 56:

Narrated Ibn Mas'ud:

A man said, "O Allah's Apostle! Shall we be punished for what we did in the Prelslamic Period of ignorance?" The Prophet said, "Whoever does good in Islam will not be punished for what he did in the Pre-lslamic Period of ignorance and whoever does evil in Islam will be punished for his former and later (bad deeds)."

MSalman
06-21-2011, 07:21 PM
as-salaamu alaykum

Bismillah

Akhi Just A Guy:

Islam doesn't require its adherents to incorporate anything other than what Nabi (Prophet) Muhammad (

) practiced in his daily prayer (Salah).

akhee sabr, one can recite any good dua'as in the final tashahhud after reciting the obligatory dua'as. Abu Hurayrah (radiAllahu anho) said: the Messenger of Allah (sal-allahu alayhi wa salaam) said: “When any one of you recites the Tashahhud, let him seek refuge with Allaah from four things – from the punishment of Hell, the punishment of the grave, the trials of life and death, and the evils of the Dajjaal, then let him pray for himself for whatever he wants.” Narrated by al-Nasaa’i, 1293]

For more on this subject, please refer to http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/5236

and Allah knows best

Starrynight
06-21-2011, 07:34 PM

Ukhti Riham:

we will refrain from responding to your emotional outburst and reiterate the facts you are apparently unaware. Perhaps the next time you post you will have all the facts. Research the arabic word bi'da (innovation and all the aspects)

Our communication with Akhi Just A Guy in threads and PM have been nothing but supportive and most of all providing
constructive direction. Just A Guy isn't a teenager he is a adult. You communicate with adults as adults. The lukewarm

We have requested that he establish an offline presence at the his local Masjid and refrain from the online posting that doesn't appear to be assisting his admission of doubts.

The IB has endless threads that will assist in educating those who desire to learn
the basic fundamentals. A person has to want to learn it.

Sahih Bukhari Volume 9, Book 84, Number 56:

Narrated Ibn Mas'ud:

A man said, "O Allah's Apostle! Shall we be punished for what we did in the Prelslamic Period of ignorance?" The Prophet said, "Whoever does good in Islam will not be punished for what he did in the Pre-lslamic Period of ignorance and whoever does evil in Islam will be punished for his former and later (bad deeds)."
:/ I think the point is that your responses can seem rather harsh. It makes newcomers like myself feel uncomfortable asking questions or making mistakes. I'm sure you are a nice person and don't mean to be perceived this way. Perhaps it is just something you should be aware of.

Flame of Hope
06-21-2011, 08:07 PM

The salat is a means of purification..... and purification isn't going to happen without a fight. So if you are aware that you have enemies around you and that you need to fight these enemies, this is a good thing.

If you say to Allah, "Oh Lord, let me not be ashamed. Let not my enemies triumph over me."...... this is a good thing to ask. Shaytan bids us to engage in shameful deeds. And he is an enemy we have to fight. There's no doubt that when we do our prayer he is going to start disturbing us with his evil whispers.

If a person is not at war during salat, then he is probably doing his salat mechanically, without thinking. The salat is thus reduced to a meaningless ritual that does nothing to purify the soul.

Brother King of Nines used to be Christian and he has a good habit of speaking openly to God about what's in his heart. I don't think there's anything wrong at all to talk to God.... it's a sign of faith. It shows that one believes that He is listening and that He understands. And this is definitely what we are taught in Islam. Isn't Allah the All-Hearing, the All-Seeing?

While brother King of Nines is learning to do the salat the correct way, I see nothing wrong at all if he pours out his troubles, worries and anxieties when he prays. Apart from prayer, there is also supplication.

Brother King of Nines may not have learnt fully how to pray.... but he can certainly supplicate.

And supplication is the best weapon of the believer.

Flame of Hope
06-21-2011, 08:35 PM

One fundamental rule of Islam that you don't seem to know is that you must speak to people at their level of understanding. You can't say that the brother is an adult and therefore you will treat him as an adult, not a teenager. One's knowledge, level of taqwa and faith is not determined by age.

On the contrary a teenager can have more knowledge, wisdom and understanding than an adult. It is Allah who determines who gets what.

Brother Just a Guy may be an adult but he is just a baby as far as Islam is concerned!!!

Why have you requested such a thing is beyond me. Just a Guy's participation in the forum, his number of posts and frank expression of his thoughts, feelings and ideas clearly indicate that he enjoys his stay at Islamic Board. He has profited so much by being in the forum that he actually went ahead and said the shahada. Obviously he is learning a great deal by being with us here in the forum. And you're telling him to stay offline? Subhanallah!

I think the point is that your responses can seem rather harsh. It makes newcomers like myself feel uncomfortable asking questions or making mistakes. I'm sure you are a nice person and don't mean to be perceived this way. Perhaps it is just something you should be aware of.
Yes, I agree. It is harsh. I wouldn't like to be spoken to in that way myself. Brother sabr, I'm sure you mean well. But there are nicer ways of saying things. We are all human and make mistakes. So let's not forget the rule...... look for excuses for your brothers in faith and be not quick to judge them. Let us think the best of others and not the worst.

Flame of Hope
06-21-2011, 09:47 PM

Ukhti Riham:

Walaykum salam wa rahmatullah.

Alright, so there are facts I'm unaware of. I'll have to do some research and get all the facts first before I post.

In that case, I had better stop posting in this forum.

I'll first learn.... and then post.

I'll therefore take a break. I'll take the same advice that you gave brother Just a Guy..... because I too make a lot of posts... and am a frequent visitor to this site. Maybe offline activities would profit me more.

sabr*
06-22-2011, 12:09 AM
:/ I think the point is that your responses can seem rather harsh. It makes newcomers like myself feel uncomfortable asking questions or making mistakes. I'm sure you are a nice person and don't mean to be perceived this way. Perhaps it is just something you should be aware of.

Starrynight (Anonymous Poster):

your comment is acknowledged.

When time permits review our threads that promote the rights Allah has giving to women, promoting Allah's word
as superior which challenges personal opinions (Which Islam doesn't need), cultural and tribal biases.

The Sira (History) of Islam will provide a view of the strong practicing Muslims in character and deed.

The current modern characterization of Muslims being meek, weak and subservient is done by Orientalist.

They are the same group who assisted the British in abolishing the Khalifah and Islamic State.

Review the following strong Muslims who protected Islam:

Prophet Muhammad (

) has fought numerous battles and showed his strategy and tactics in war. (The ultimate protector of Allah's word being superior)

2) Khalid bin Waleed RA (Considered the strongest warrior that promoted Allahs word as superior).
He was called Saif-ullah, The sword of Allah/God).

3) Hazrat Ali R.A. He was called the Asad-Ullah, The Lion of Allah)

4) Salahuddin Ayyoubi (for his skills as a Sultan - The way he tackled with "Fidayis" was awesome and then it comes his tactics in the war which is also highly appreciable)

5) Tariq bin Ziyad (for his invasion to Hispania (Spain, Portgual and today's Gibralter..... he was arguably the great warrior after the Sahabas)

6) Hazrat Sa'ad bin Abi Waqas R.A. (He is known as the first companion to have shot an Arrow in the defense of Islam)

7) Moosa Bin Naseer (A great general of Islam and mentor of Tariq bin Zayad. Left a legacy in the battles of Hispania and Africa though - I still curse the caliphs for treating him so badly in the later part of his life)

8) Abu Ubaidah ibn al Jarrah R.A. (A companion of Khalid ibn-e-Walid - played a key role in the expansion of Rashidun Empire)

Starrynight
06-22-2011, 01:35 AM
I'm all for freedom of speech, but I also believe this forum was created with the intention of being a safe place for mistakes to be made and things to be learned. So lets all do our best to keep our comments positive and get back to the topic of praying :)

Ali Mujahidin
06-22-2011, 04:04 AM

Why pray?

Let me count the ways,
that I may go astray,
if I don't pray.

If I don't pray,
I may lose my way,
I may start to think,
that I made it all happen,
that I made it slow down or hasten,
that I made it become dull or glisten,
that I somehow have become a force that nothing can dampen.

If I don't pray,
I would tend to play,
I would start to live for fun,
I would say things just to make a pun,
I would do things which would shame Attila the Hun!

Ya Allah, ya Rabbi,
Have pity on me,
Don't let me be led astray,

Ya Allah, ya Rabbi,
Strengthen my iman,
Shield me from the whisperings of Shaytan.

Ya Allah, ya Rabbi,
You gave me life,
And all you ask is that I pray.

Ya Allah, ya Rabbi,
I beg You to accept my feeble amal,
I beg You to give me the strength to pray more and more every day,
Especially when shaytan whispers
"Why pray?"

Starrynight
06-22-2011, 08:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ThisOldMan

Why pray?

Let me count the ways,
that I may go astray,
if I don't pray.

If I don't pray,
I may lose my way,
I may start to think,
that I made it all happen,
that I made it slow down or hasten,
that I made it become dull or glisten,
that I somehow have become a force that nothing can dampen.

If I don't pray,
I would tend to play,
I would start to live for fun,
I would say things just to make a pun,
I would do things which would shame Attila the Hun!

Ya Allah, ya Rabbi,
Have pity on me,
Don't let me be led astray,

Ya Allah, ya Rabbi,
Strengthen my iman,
Shield me from the whisperings of Shaytan.

Ya Allah, ya Rabbi,
You gave me life,
And all you ask is that I pray.

Ya Allah, ya Rabbi,
I beg You to accept my feeble amal,
I beg You to give me the strength to pray more and more every day,
Especially when shaytan whispers
"Why pray?"
I like this. Did you write it yourself?

Al Shifa
06-22-2011, 02:44 PM
You should pray in the Love of Allah. Don't you realize how much He loves you. He created this universe for whom? Of course for you. He sent His great Messengers for whom? For You. He sent down His precious words of guidance (Qur'an) for whom? For You.
Does he is in need of Jannah, no, He decorated it for His belivers, For You. And if i start telling stories of His love for His people, these will not finish.
So should we not thank Him with love for all what He provided us. if we cannot love Him, thank Him, obey Him, then we don't have right over the things He made. If we cannot obey Him, we should leave His universe and start living at a place not under His control....

When your head is on the pillow,
And the day is almost done;
Count Allah's blessings,
Count them One by One.

jimbo123
06-27-2011, 11:56 PM
What I say is from my understanding of Islam and what I have heard from well known lecturers.

The first step in my understanding was realizing that Salaah is for our benefit and not for Allah. If we stopped doing it, it would not damage Allah in the slightest.

The second important point is that the exact translation of Salaah isn't prayer. Prayer is when you ask Allah for something so you could say that Dua is prayer. Dr Zakir Naik mentioned in one of his lecturers that Salaah is programming - towards righteousness. When the Quran is being recited, it's handy if you know the meaning. Verses that talk about heaven can inspire, verses about hell can terrify, some verses make you ponder but either way it makes you more God-conscious - thinking about your every action. Programming towards rightousness indeed!

There are physical benefits like getting blood to the head, clearing the lungs, focusing eyes on a point on the ground and if you focus on the Salaah I guess it's a stress relief.

Social benefits. When people pray in congregation everyone is equal and is a good way of bringing community together.

I'm sure there are hundreds of hidden benefits behind Salaah.

jimbo123
06-27-2011, 11:57 PM
Sorry I'm tired.

Flame of Hope
06-28-2011, 03:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by jimbo123
The first step in my understanding was realizing that Salaah is for our benefit and not for Allah. If we stopped doing it, it would not damage Allah in the slightest.

The second important point is that the exact translation of Salaah isn't prayer. Prayer is when you ask Allah for something so you could say that Dua is prayer. Dr Zakir Naik mentioned in one of his lecturers that Salaah is programming - towards righteousness. When the Quran is being recited, it's handy if you know the meaning. Verses that talk about heaven can inspire, verses about hell can terrify, some verses make you ponder but either way it makes you more God-conscious - thinking about your every action. Programming towards rightousness indeed!

There are physical benefits like getting blood to the head, clearing the lungs, focusing eyes on a point on the ground and if you focus on the Salaah I guess it's a stress relief.

Social benefits. When people pray in congregation everyone is equal and is a good way of bringing community together.

I'm sure there are hundreds of hidden benefits behind Salaah.
Very nice and insightful, brother jimbo123.

Jazakallah khair for sharing.

Ali Mujahidin
06-28-2011, 03:59 AM
I like this. Did you write it yourself?

No, I didn't write it. I just typed it. lol. The opening lines were structured like the love letter Elizabeth Barret wrote to Robert Browning. She started her letter like this:

How do I love thee?
Let me count the ways ..

The rest are just random thoughts that Allah put into my mind. You can read a copy of Elizabeth Barret's love letter here:
http://www3.amherst.edu/~rjyanco94/l...nttheways.html

FS123
06-28-2011, 04:37 AM
Salam Brother, I've seen this video before and its really nice, I do like Brother Nouman Ali Khan. he knows what he is saying, but the answer I am looking for can make someone STAND up and pray esp for FAJR

HMMM shall I say why we really have to PRAYYYYYY???
Yea he is very good, because he has studied Quran in the context of classical Arabic and its traditions. Few scholars as far as I know have done that, a famous one is Mohammad Assad, and thats why I like his explanation of Quran.

As for standing up for fajar prayer, if you strive for that it makes a person better. First it has lot of reward in afterlife, but it helps to make a person better in this life too in the form of punctuality just to name one.

First of all this prayer is salat (contact prayers). And salat in the Islamic tradition is a gift from Allah. I'll go into detail some other day, but I hope this should motivate... no point of having a gift unless a person use it.

Starrynight
06-28-2011, 05:16 AM
Al Shifa, that was beautiful :)

Starrynight
06-28-2011, 06:16 AM
I was so pumped for my last prayer tonight. At first praying was stressful and hard, but it's getting easier and I'm getting excited now to do it. My Iman is high :D

Futuwwa
06-28-2011, 10:59 AM
Then you are indeed blessed. I'm still not feeling much :(

Starrynight
06-28-2011, 11:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Futuwwa
Then you are indeed blessed. I'm still not feeling much :(
I'm sorry that you're not feeling it :( I wish I could help...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!