/* */

PDA

View Full Version : for those that reverted to Islam...

Starrynight
06-22-2011, 03:45 AM
What did you find were the largest adjustments? How did you tell your close friends and family?
What are the biggest positive changes your life has had as a result?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Starrynight
06-23-2011, 05:13 AM
I just told my best friend that I am reverting to Islam and she was so supportive and excited for me! This makes me feel more confident about telling my parents tomorrow :)

Futuwwa
06-23-2011, 09:45 AM
When it comes to telling people who are close to you, well, someone who is going to take it badly will do so regardless of how you tell it. My only advice (and which I did myself) was to tell it at some time when you have plenty of time together, enough to deal with any fallout.

Futuwwa
06-23-2011, 09:51 AM
As for the largest adjustment, that would have to be to begin praying regularly. Adjusting to live according to Islamic morality went smoothly, but beginning to pray regularly felt completely unnatural for me. I'm pretty much inert spiritually, developing iman will be a lifetime project for me.

As for the biggest positive change, well, even after years it's still too early to say :statisfie

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Who Am I?
06-23-2011, 11:07 AM
Most of you already know my story and know that I have not yet told my family about my conversion.

I did tell my best friend last week and he was pretty neutral about it. That was about what I expected from him, so I wasn't upset or disappointed.

I know that eventually I will have to tell my family, but I want to become stronger in my faith first. I want to gain more knowledge so that I can answer any questions with confidence and if necessary, refute any doubters.

May Ayob
06-23-2011, 12:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by King of Nines
Most of you already know my story and know that I have not yet told my family about my conversion. I did tell my best friend last week and he was pretty neutral about it. That was about what I expected from him, so I wasn't upset or disappointed. I know that eventually I will have to tell my family, but I want to become stronger in my faith first. I want to gain more knowledge so that I can answer any questions with confidence and if necessary, refute any doubters.

Salaam
Brother you are a brave human being for having to face that, i know it's hard , but one thing i noticed in you after reading some of your posts is that you are an Honest person... May Allah make all the hardships you face easy and benfecial .
And May He protect whom so ever is near , dear or beloved to your heart. and every one you care about.
Salaam

MustafaMc
06-23-2011, 01:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Starrynight
What did you find were the largest adjustments?
The most difficult for me was the lack of a support group to make the transition to a new way of life. It was difficult for me to be the only Caucasian American Muslim in my area. Acquiring the discipline to pray 5 times a day in Arabic was also a difficult adjustment.
How did you tell your close friends and family?
I don't remember the details, but I did tell my family soon after I took my shahadah. My family was not receptive to my conversion at all. I have explained my beliefs and practice of Islam, including my decision to eat only zabiha meat. My parents have died, but my brother and sister now accept my being different even though we don't discuss religion.
I believe that I live a 'cleaner' life knowing that I will have to give an accounting for my every deed and word. Another change is that my worldview extends beyond the borders of my country.

elina
06-23-2011, 01:49 PM
What did you find were the largest adjustments? I think learning the Arabic for salat was one of the harder things for me.... my concentration is poor to say the least and this was so hard, not only to learn but to stick to learning it. I didnt have to adjust too much to Islamic lifestyle as I had done this slowly over a period of months

How did you tell your close friends and family? I found it easy to tell my kids (they are grown up) they are great and dont judge, they both said 'so long as you are happy we are happy' I cant remember how i told my friends...... I probably just came out with...oh btw im Muslim now...... I did lose some friends....obviously not real friends to start with

What are the biggest positive changes your life has had as a result? I am like a completely different person (yet still the same) i have more patience, tolerance, i am a lot calmer and more peaceful..... i enjoy life a lot more than i have ever done before.... its hard to explain i feel like ive 'come home' and just feel so comfortable happy and content :)

Who Am I?
06-23-2011, 03:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by May Ayob
Salaam
Brother you are a brave human being for having to face that, i know it's hard , but one thing i noticed in you after reading some of your posts is that you are an Honest person... May Allah make all the hardships you face easy and benfecial .
And May He protect whom so ever is near , dear or beloved to your heart. and every one you care about.
Salaam
Salaam, sister.

You can thank my parents for instilling honesty in me. I don't feel right about lying, and it tears me up sometimes when I am talking to my parents and I know I can't tell them about my conversion yet. I want to tell them and get it over and done with, but I'm not ready for it yet. Allah will show me when the time is right.

Brother Mustafa brought up a good point too. I'm learning al Fatiha in Arabic for my prayers and it's not easy. It didn't take long to learn it in English, but the Arabic is proving a little difficult. I have learned most of it now though over the last week, but that last line is taking a while.

It's tough right now too living by myself and not having any Muslim friends or family for support. It's easy enough at the masjid when I am with my Muslim brothers, but I live on the other side of town, and during the day I am alone most of the time with my thoughts and my faith.

May Ayob
06-23-2011, 04:31 PM
Salaam, sister. You can thank my parents for instilling honesty in me

Walaikum Salaam brother

You can thank them on my behalf :)
Salaam

elina
06-24-2011, 08:02 AM
Brother Mustafa brought up a good point too. I'm learning al Fatiha in Arabic for my prayers and it's not easy. It didn't take long to learn it in English, but the Arabic is proving a little difficult. I have learned most of it now though over the last week, but that last line is taking a while.
salam bro...... I dont know if you have seen the videos on youtube that teach the Arabic for salat but they are fantastic...... they helped me no end..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rywokB1vtOc

Abu Fatimah
06-27-2011, 06:17 PM
positive changes are too numerous to mention, hardest adjustments for me was staying away from haraam and doing some obligations like salaah and fastn which take some serious will power

Just_A_Girl13
06-27-2011, 06:36 PM
Assalam alaikum sister,

Making salat five times a day was definitely an adjustment, although the bigger adjustment for me was changing what I eat, or don't eat. It has been really difficult for me to find things to eat that are halal because there are no stores in my area which sell halal meat. And I don't like to eat baked goods anymore because they may have been made with vanilla, which contains alcohol. And a lot of foods contain gelatin as well. I'm finding that the only foods I'm absolutely sure are safe to eat are plain pasta and raw vegetables. It can be frustrating at times, but insha'Allah I will be able to adjust in time.

I haven't directly told anyone yet except for my best friend, and she was fairly neutral about it. She was skeptical at first but I cleared up some misconceptions of hers and she felt better about it. I have hinted to my family, and I think my mother has figured it out for herself. She doesn't seem pleased about it, but I hardly expected better. Insha'Allah she'll come around sooner or later.

I could write fifty pages on this :) But I'll just say that all of the questions that I had as a Christian have now been answered. I never felt like I belonged when I was a Christian, and now I feel like I have a place to be and people to share it with. While sometimes it feels like my life is only becoming more complicated because of all the new adjustments I'm making, I know that my life has truly become more simple, and more fulfilling. I sincerely hope that you will find the same happiness in Islam, insha'Allah :)

Peace and blessings be with you

Starrynight
06-27-2011, 09:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Just_A_Girl13
Assalam alaikum sister,

Making salat five times a day was definitely an adjustment, although the bigger adjustment for me was changing what I eat, or don't eat. It has been really difficult for me to find things to eat that are halal because there are no stores in my area which sell halal meat. And I don't like to eat baked goods anymore because they may have been made with vanilla, which contains alcohol. And a lot of foods contain gelatin as well. I'm finding that the only foods I'm absolutely sure are safe to eat are plain pasta and raw vegetables. It can be frustrating at times, but insha'Allah I will be able to adjust in time.

I haven't directly told anyone yet except for my best friend, and she was fairly neutral about it. She was skeptical at first but I cleared up some misconceptions of hers and she felt better about it. I have hinted to my family, and I think my mother has figured it out for herself. She doesn't seem pleased about it, but I hardly expected better. Insha'Allah she'll come around sooner or later.

I could write fifty pages on this :) But I'll just say that all of the questions that I had as a Christian have now been answered. I never felt like I belonged when I was a Christian, and now I feel like I have a place to be and people to share it with. While sometimes it feels like my life is only becoming more complicated because of all the new adjustments I'm making, I know that my life has truly become more simple, and more fulfilling. I sincerely hope that you will find the same happiness in Islam, insha'Allah :)

Peace and blessings be with you
As far as good goes I wanted to give you some suggestions. Fruit, beans, rice, oatmeal, homemade bread (so you can make sure there is no vanilla extract), stir fry, etc. I've been a vegetarian for ages so I'm used to having to tip toe around meat and gelitin. Let me know if you want some recipes or food suggestions :)

Flame of Hope
06-27-2011, 10:25 PM
:sl:

What did you find were the largest adjustments? How did you tell your close friends and family?
Nice topic, sister. :)

I think I could write a novel on this one. lol.

When I accepted Islam, I straightaway told my family and friends about my decision. They were all hostile, full of criticism. Till today I am looked upon with scorn. And my response has always been.... "I don't care what you think!!! To me my way, to you, yours!! I don't interfere in your life, don't interfere in mine."

Positive changes. Well.... Islam changes you completely. Inside out. It makes you a better person... with better manners, better speech, better conduct. You learn patience, self-control, self-discipline and grow in your love for God. What can be more positive than that?

Alhamdulillahir rabbil al ameen!

Jazakallah khair for asking this interesting question sister Starrynight. :)

Who Am I?
06-28-2011, 02:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by elina
salam bro...... I dont know if you have seen the videos on youtube that teach the Arabic for salat but they are fantastic...... they helped me no end..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rywokB1vtOc
Salaam, sister. Thanks for the link.

I finally learned the whole thing the other day and I can say it all in Arabic now. I'll keep practicing to get the pronunciation down.

As for foods, well, I never ate that much pork anyway (though I loved some bacon), so that is no big loss. Alcohol has been the biggest struggle for me. Well, that, and not looking at girls anymore. I'm a single lonely guy (who won't be married for a while), so some days it is a real struggle to lower my gaze and not think about women.

MustafaMc
06-28-2011, 02:33 AM
Well, that, and not looking at girls anymore. I'm a single lonely guy (who won't be married for a while), so some days it is a real struggle to lower my gaze and not think about women.
Brother, I am 50 and married and I too have to maintain a high level of discipline to lower my gaze. I just returned from a vacation to the beach in Alabama and that was a constant struggle for me.

Starrynight
06-28-2011, 03:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Riham

Nice topic, sister. :)

I think I could write a novel on this one. lol.

When I accepted Islam, I straightaway told my family and friends about my decision. They were all hostile, full of criticism. Till today I am looked upon with scorn. And my response has always been.... "I don't care what you think!!! To me my way, to you, yours!! I don't interfere in your life, don't interfere in mine."

Positive changes. Well.... Islam changes you completely. Inside out. It makes you a better person... with better manners, better speech, better conduct. You learn patience, self-control, self-discipline and grow in your love for God. What can be more positive than that?

Alhamdulillahir rabbil al ameen!

Jazakallah khair for asking this interesting question sister Starrynight. :)
:( I'm sorry your family isn't supportive. I'm sending love and support your way!

SFatima
06-29-2011, 05:59 PM
Salaam, sister. Thanks for the link.

I finally learned the whole thing the other day and I can say it all in Arabic now. I'll keep practicing to get the pronunciation down.

As for foods, well, I never ate that much pork anyway (though I loved some bacon), so that is no big loss. Alcohol has been the biggest struggle for me. Well, that, and not looking at girls anymore. I'm a single lonely guy (who won't be married for a while), so some days it is a real struggle to lower my gaze and not think about women.
MAshAllah thats great... Im sure you're probably aware, but excercize, and drinking plenty of water, fresh juices really helps drive the alcohol out of your system..Start a healthy active life style, start jogging, or some sport that you like, it also helps ease away the withdrawl symptoms of alcohol which is depression/anxiety ,restlessness, confusion and etc..

Have you ever heard of figs? ( its called Injeer in arabic) they are very very nice dried up fruit and they have been mentioned in the Quran, and been known to really help purifying the blood and digestive system, mentioned in the QUran so must try! You can ask a muslim brother for help, and they are very tasty, well i love them :D

Also honey is very good, if you can take about a teaspoon or two, before you eat anything in the morning, well its really good to have 2,3 glasses of water first thing in the morning, follow them with honey or injeer, and its really good Alhamdulilah. You can also take a teaspoon of honey after your measl, they help in digestion and its In sunnah as well, the Prophet saww loved honey : )

Another purifying fruit is, Ajwa dates, Oh my my absolutely favourite kind of dates, but they are quite expensive, BUT im sure any arab brother would love to get them for you, Arabs have plenty of dates! They are also known to be healing in nature, and also protect from the effects of poisons and magic, And only Allah knows best, but you must try! Eat plenty of fruits, drink milk shakes, Once you start the healthy stuff you'll be repelled to have alcohol, InshAllah

Be positive, think Only good thoughts!find some activity to do even if its mowing the lawn or washing your car, don't sit idle, an idle mind is a devils factory! : ) May Allah swt be with you!

Who Am I?
06-29-2011, 06:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MustafaMc
Brother, I am 50 and married and I too have to maintain a high level of discipline to lower my gaze. I just returned from a vacation to the beach in Alabama and that was a constant struggle for me.

Alabama? Dude, I live in Alabama. I haven't been to the beach in years. I don't even have to go to the beach around here though. I go out somewhere and see girls in short shorts, miniskirts, and halter tops everywhere I go. It's a struggle not to look, especially in our sex-crazed culture.

format_quote Originally Posted by SFatima
MAshAllah thats great... Im sure you're probably aware, but excercize, and drinking plenty of water, fresh juices really helps drive the alcohol out of your system..Start a healthy active life style, start jogging, or some sport that you like, it also helps ease away the withdrawl symptoms of alcohol which is depression/anxiety ,restlessness, confusion and etc.. Have you ever heard of figs? ( its called Injeer in arabic) they are very very nice dried up fruit and they have been mentioned in the Quran, and been known to really help purifying the blood and digestive system, mentioned in the QUran so must try! You can ask a muslim brother for help, and they are very tasty, well i love them Also honey is very good, if you can take about a teaspoon or two, before you eat anything in the morning, well its really good to have 2,3 glasses of water first thing in the morning, follow them with honey or injeer, and its really good Alhamdulilah. You can also take a teaspoon of honey after your measl, they help in digestion and its In sunnah as well, the Prophet saww loved honey : ) Another purifying fruit is, Ajwa dates, Oh my my absolutely favourite kind of dates, but they are quite expensive, BUT im sure any arab brother would love to get them for you, Arabs have plenty of dates! They are also known to be healing in nature, and also protect from the effects of poisons and magic, And only Allah knows best, but you must try! Eat plenty of fruits, drink milk shakes, Once you start the healthy stuff you'll be repelled to have alcohol, InshAllah Be positive, think Only good thoughts!find some activity to do even if its mowing the lawn or washing your car, don't sit idle, an idle mind is a devils factory! : ) May Allah swt be with you!
While I haven't had a drink of alcohol in almost a month, cutting down on caffeine and drinking more water has been more difficult. The first few days, I got really bad headaches from not drinking caffeine. I was drinking 4-5 caffeine drinks per day. I have it down to 1-2 now. It has gotten easier the longer I go. I also try to eat less food, partly to lose weight and also to prepare myself for Ramadan (which will be my first).

Dates... I don't think I've ever had dates. I do like fruit, though. Apples, peaches, strawberries, and grapes are particular favorites. As for exercise, I've been thinking about getting back into shape to play some basketball with the young brothers at the masjid. We've talked about starting a team up and playing in a league.

Anyway, it's something to think about.

Just_A_Girl13
06-29-2011, 07:18 PM
Oh my my absolutely favourite kind of dates, but they are quite expensive, BUT im sure any arab brother would love to get them for you, Arabs have plenty of dates!
LOL, my brother's father is Algerian and dates are all he ever gives as gifts ;D

MAshAllah thats great... Im sure you're probably aware, but excercize, and drinking plenty of water, fresh juices really helps drive the alcohol out of your system..Start a healthy active life style, start jogging, or some sport that you like, it also helps ease away the withdrawl symptoms of alcohol which is depression/anxiety ,restlessness, confusion and etc..

Have you ever heard of figs? ( its called Injeer in arabic) they are very very nice dried up fruit and they have been mentioned in the Quran, and been known to really help purifying the blood and digestive system, mentioned in the QUran so must try! You can ask a muslim brother for help, and they are very tasty, well i love them

Also honey is very good, if you can take about a teaspoon or two, before you eat anything in the morning, well its really good to have 2,3 glasses of water first thing in the morning, follow them with honey or injeer, and its really good Alhamdulilah. You can also take a teaspoon of honey after your measl, they help in digestion and its In sunnah as well, the Prophet saww loved honey : )

Another purifying fruit is, Ajwa dates, Oh my my absolutely favourite kind of dates, but they are quite expensive, BUT im sure any arab brother would love to get them for you, Arabs have plenty of dates! They are also known to be healing in nature, and also protect from the effects of poisons and magic, And only Allah knows best, but you must try!

Eat plenty of fruits, drink milk shakes, Once you start the healthy stuff you'll be repelled to have alcohol, InshAllah Be positive, think Only good thoughts!find some activity to do even if its mowing the lawn or washing your car, don't sit idle, an idle mind is a devils factory! : ) May Allah swt be with you!
Jazak Allah Khairan, very good advice, sister :)

DippedinJannah
06-30-2011, 09:38 PM
In the U.S., I think one of the big challenges is finding halal food. Particularly because in our culture we eat out so much. I know I do in the workplace - we are always having breakfast meetings, lunch meetings, etc. I've become semi-vegetarian as a result :-)

Who Am I?
06-30-2011, 09:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by DippedinJannah
In the U.S., I think one of the big challenges is finding halal food. Particularly because in our culture we eat out so much. I know I do in the workplace - we are always having breakfast meetings, lunch meetings, etc. I've become semi-vegetarian as a result :-)
Ugh, the dreaded V-word. Never will I succumb to such measures.

Just_A_Girl13
06-30-2011, 10:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by DippedinJannah
Agreed. Finding halal food is a daily challenge, especially when eating out. I make lots of duaa that I don't starve ;D

Starrynight
06-30-2011, 11:02 PM
Um... dumb question. But aside from meat, what else is not "halal" food?

Ali Mujahidin
07-01-2011, 02:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Just_A_Girl13
Agreed. Finding halal food is a daily challenge, especially when eating out. I make lots of duaa that I don't starve

I always carry some tamar (palm dates) with me. Just eating one gives me enough energy for a few hours' work. It's also one of the sunnah of the Holy Prophet saw. Once I lived through one whole month eating only tamar (some people call it kurma). Lost 30 kgs but otherwise in good health. (btw 30 kgs is not much considering that I started at 120 kgs.:D)

Ramadhan
07-01-2011, 02:39 AM
Um... dumb question. But aside from meat, what else is not "halal" food?
All food is halal except for these:

• Meat from swine
  • Pork-based products and by-products
  • Animals improperly slaughtered, or already dead before slaughtering is due to take place
  • Animals killed or sacrificed in the name of others than Allah (swt)
  • Intoxicants/alcohol
  • Most carnivorous animals, birds of prey and land animals without external ears (i.e., snakes, reptiles, worms, insects etc.)
  • Blood and blood by-products
  • Foods contaminated with any of the above products

Seafood is safe, so if you happen to like sushi and sashimi, rejoice! :)
note: some japanese restaurants cook their rice with sake (rice alcohol) so watch out.

Starrynight
07-01-2011, 05:36 AM
Heehee, I'm a vegetarian and have always avoided alcohol so I really got off easy on this one.
Seriously though, you all don't need to starve. There are tons and tons of foods without meat if you're having trouble finding halal meat. Just google "easy vegetarian recipes" and you'll be munching away in no time.

Who Am I?
07-01-2011, 01:31 PM
Too many vegetarians in here, man. I have to have a steak or some chicken with my veggies.

Futuwwa
07-01-2011, 02:06 PM
I know what you mean. I live in a country where food serving is based on the dichotomy that either you eat any and all meat that comes your way, or you are a total vegetarian. So I've had to eat my share of hippie food ;D

Ramadhan
07-01-2011, 02:21 PM
Remember all fish are halal as well as seafood.

For you who live in western countries, why don't you find out your closest halal meat suppliers and/or butchers? I'm sure the brothers in the masjid can help you.
When I lived in Australia and other western countries, thats what I did. And often the suppliers sell their products in the masjid yard after shalah jum'ah and often they do delivery as well. So I bought a week's supply and keep them in the freezer.

Who Am I?
07-01-2011, 02:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ramadhan

For you who live in western countries, why don't you find out your closest halal meat suppliers and/or butchers? I'm sure the brothers in the masjid can help you.
When I lived in Australia and other western countries, thats what I did. And often the suppliers sell their products in the masjid yard after shalah jum'ah and often they do delivery as well. So I bought a week's supply and keep them in the freezer.
Not a bad idea. I'll have to look into that.

MustafaMc
07-01-2011, 10:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ramadhan
This is what I order at restaurants
For you who live in western countries, why don't you find out your closest halal meat suppliers and/or butchers?
I travel about 150 miles to buy halal meat about once a month.

Woodrow
07-02-2011, 02:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by MustafaMc
This is what I order at restaurantsI travel about 150 miles to buy halal meat about once a month.

I can empathize with that. But I just found out ND is the third largest producer of halal neat in the USA, but virtually all of it is for export. I finally contacted one of the producers and am now making arraignments to buy in bulk.

Ummshareef
07-03-2011, 05:54 PM

After reversion, my life became completely built around Islam, in particular salah and Islamic study, which meant that I no longer had any time for lots of the things that I did before like watching TV and going out with friends. Now, if it something that doesn't help me with my worship, it's simply not a top priority and gets ditched. Our time in this dunya is limited and we are here for one reason and one reason only - to serve, glorify and worship Allah subhana wa ta'alaa. So, many things I did before reversion, I no longer do.

Family - I let them know over a period of months that I was becoming increasingly thoughtful about spritual matters and then almost immediately after taking my Shahada, I told them what I had done and what it meant to my life. It was a huge shock for them and they were not at all happy, but I think they thought it was just a fad. They did not disown me or anything like that but made their displeasure clear, especially when it became clear that Islam is a full way of life and not just something that you do on a Sunday morning. I think it, was partly a case of "what willl the neighbours think?". One particular source of friction has been the way I dress - from early on it was really important for me to look as well as feel like a Muslimah and so I started dressing more modestly and quickly moved to hijab and jilbaab.

Friends - I just told them what I had done and that my priorities had changed. I ended up drifting apart from most of my old friends, at least the ones who were more interested in drinking and lewdness subhanallah. I have kept up with a few who seem genuinely interested in my new lifestyle. I see them as dawah projects!

Obviously after embracing Islam, I had to completely cut off the few male friendships I had (mostly at work) subhanallah. I just let them know that non-essential inter-gender relationships are forbidden in Islam and I stopped speaking with them socially and learned to cut them off if they tried.

A strong sense of purpose and servitude, knowing that I am following the Right Path and that whatever advice and guidance I may need it is there waiting for me. I try to spend as much time as possible in ibadah and study with my hubby and family and it always gives me immense pleasure and satisfaction, like I never experienced before alHumdulillah.

SFatima
07-03-2011, 06:43 PM
salamo alaikum ummshareef,

MashAllah so great to hear about your efforts ,it helps other reverts to move ahead with their declaration to their family/social circle too, may Allah swt reward you in this life and hereafter for taking this step and keep you strong in it, may Allah swt be with you all the way , ameen.

:)

peace!

Who Am I?
07-03-2011, 06:58 PM
Well I'm still not ready to tell my family yet, but Allah will show me when the time is right.

SFatima
07-03-2011, 07:19 PM
InshAllah you will be shown the way, afterall you're the king of nines ( 9 cats?, 9 ?) : ) it has to be a grand event, red carpeted and all :giggling:

hehe just kidding.

Flame of Hope
07-03-2011, 09:47 PM

Well I'm still not ready to tell my family yet, but Allah will show me when the time is right.
Yup. There's a time and place for everything. Trust Allah to guide you in all affairs.

Who Am I?
07-04-2011, 06:56 AM
InshAllah you will be shown the way, afterall you're the king of nines ( 9 cats?, 9 ?) : ) it has to be a grand event, red carpeted and all hehe just kidding.

Short version of the story: the name comes from a night of bowling. A friend of mine gave me the name "King of Nines" because I was knocking down 9 pins all night long on my first ball, but never the 10th. I liked the name, so I use it now.

Red carpet... so it will happen at the masjid, then. Mine has red carpet inside.

Yup. There's a time and place for everything. Trust Allah to guide you in all affairs.
I pray that He will guide me every prayer, sister.

Flame of Hope
07-05-2011, 01:32 AM

Alhamdulillahir rabbil al ameen! I have finally uploaded the introduction to Islamic Boot Camp, an audio program I had created specifically for new reverts to Islam..... uh.... that was more than 7 years ago. But hey, the subject is perennial, undying and eternal. So I got it up and running exactly the way I had recorded it then.

Watch it here. Oh no! You're all gonna know what I sound like!!! I had betta hide. :hiding:

Who Am I?
07-05-2011, 03:17 AM
Sister Flame, you sound younger than you are, as I said on the other forum.

I like the shameless plugs too. ;D

I need a microphone so I can practice for my radio show.

Then you will all tremble at the sound of my non-distinct American accent.

Flame of Hope
07-05-2011, 08:32 AM
Assalamu alaykum.

I need a microphone so I can practice for my radio show.

Then you will all tremble at the sound of my non-distinct American accent.
I knew that a day would come when I'd be interviewed by the King. lol.

Who Am I?
07-05-2011, 12:25 PM
Assalamu alaykum.

I knew that a day would come when I'd be interviewed by the King. lol.
Walaykum salaam.

I used to do my own fake radio show as a kid and record it. I used fake voices and sometimes got some of my friends involved.

I have trained my whole life for this day. ;D

Starrynight
07-05-2011, 12:53 PM
^ You had a fake radio show?? Me too! I still have the tapes. We could be co-hosts!

SFatima
07-05-2011, 01:11 PM
"tip toes in, they had fake radio shows too? ahahaha, tip toes out" ( nobody can beat my fake radio shows though hmph :D)

great idea sister riham, you speak great, good effort MashAllah :)

Starrynight
07-05-2011, 01:31 PM
allright! forum-wide radio shows!

Starrynight
07-05-2011, 01:34 PM
^ fake radio show that is

Who Am I?
07-05-2011, 05:39 PM
Yes, I KNEW I wasn't the only one! They all laughed at me, but I knew that I couldn't be the only one...

I found some of the tapes many years later, when I was moving some stuff around. Unfortunately I think most of them are lost now.

I have thought about hosting an internet radio show for a while now. Maybe we could do something like that...

Flame of Hope
07-06-2011, 01:59 AM

Mr. Forgetful!!! Are you there?

Okay. It's a deal. I didn't know it was going to be this easy to get interviewed. (Hides behind the curtain).... I had someone interview me once... uh.. on TV. He was so nervous, he didn't know what he was saying...

It could have been a great interview if it hadn't been for that. The topic was great too. The show was entitled "Before You Die".

So King of Nines, if you think you can do a better job, get out your microphone and lets talk. lol. And sure you can have StarryNight and SFatima on standby to help you in case anything goes wrong. Let's start a talk show... well, on radio.

Who Am I?
07-06-2011, 02:49 AM

OK sister Flame, it's a deal. I will need to purchase a microphone for my computer and then maybe we can set something up.

The two sisters can be my co-hosts.

Maybe I'll even talk in a cheesy Southern American accent and play the role of ignorant redneck just for laughs. ;D

Ramadhan
07-06-2011, 03:02 AM
Maybe I'll even talk in a cheesy Southern American accent and play the role of ignorant redneck just for laughs.
When I first read "southern american accent", I thought you were going to blabbering away in spanish or portuguese ;D

But I then realised you will more likely employ southern twang :)

Starrynight
07-06-2011, 05:32 AM
^ That's what I thought too!!!

Who Am I?
07-06-2011, 03:31 PM
I can speak Spanish, so that is possible.

So I can do both.

Ummshareef
07-09-2011, 02:47 PM
salamo alaikum ummshareef,

MashAllah so great to hear about your efforts ,it helps other reverts to move ahead with their declaration to their family/social circle too, may Allah swt reward you in this life and hereafter for taking this step and keep you strong in it, may Allah swt be with you all the way , ameen.

:)

peace!
:wa: SFatima,

JKK for your kind words. Yes, I agree that many reverts need a little push to get them to tell their families and friends aqbout their reversion, but the truth is that it should be the greatest news that we ever bear, even if the family may not see it like that straight away. Insha'allah, in time the kuffr family members will realise how much adopting Islam has benefited their sister/brother/daughter/son. Even my parents - who have never really come to terms with the fact that their little daughter is now a grown up Muslimah with a happy Islamic marriage - admit that I am a much more contented, calm, and fulfilled person than I was before my reversion alHumdulillah.

Who Am I?
07-09-2011, 04:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ummshareef
:wa: SFatima,

JKK for your kind words. Yes, I agree that many reverts need a little push to get them to tell their families and friends aqbout their reversion, but the truth is that it should be the greatest news that we ever bear, even if the family may not see it like that straight away. Insha'allah, in time the kuffr family members will realise how much adopting Islam has benefited their sister/brother/daughter/son. Even my parents - who have never really come to terms with the fact that their little daughter is now a grown up Muslimah with a happy Islamic marriage - admit that I am a much more contented, calm, and fulfilled person than I was before my reversion alHumdulillah.
:wa:

That's what I want to do. I want to show my family that I am a better man now than I was before. I don't drink anymore, I don't smoke anymore, I don't curse anymore, and I am generally more content than I have been in a long time.

Ali Mujahidin
07-09-2011, 05:29 PM
That's what I want to do. I want to show my family that I am a better man now than I was before. I don't drink anymore, I don't smoke anymore, I don't curse anymore, and I am generally more content than I have been in a long time.

You don't happen to have put on weight, too, do you?

Starrynight
07-09-2011, 05:31 PM
:wa:

Whoot whoot! nice job! I am trying to stop swearing :( I do so good but sometimes slip up. But I have to break it before Ramadan!

SFatima
07-09-2011, 08:39 PM
I can speak Spanish, so that is possible.

So I can do both.
Can you write spanish too? I know of this religious school who wanted a person proficient in English Spanish and french, they wanted Islamic stuff translated. if you know anyone, do let me know. A muslim person would be preference.

Who Am I?
07-09-2011, 09:05 PM
Can you write spanish too? I know of this religious school who wanted a person proficient in English Spanish and french, they wanted Islamic stuff translated. if you know anyone, do let me know. A muslim person would be preference.

Si, puedo escribir en espanol mejor que puedo hablar.

I can write Spanish, yes. I just got a new Spanish dictionary the other day for that purpose.

I don't know any French though, and very little Arabic.

You don't happen to have put on weight, too, do you?
Actually I think I have lost weight since I quit drinking and am eating less thanks to my practice fastings for Ramadan, and the fact that I try to drink more water now. My pants are looser than they used to be.

Whoot whoot! nice job! I am trying to stop swearing :( I do so good but sometimes slip up. But I have to break it before Ramadan!
I confess that sometimes I still slip up when I am frustrated or irritated. But I make a conscious effort not to curse anymore.

Oh, and I just got a new microphone, so watch out... internet radio show, here I come.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!