/* */

PDA

View Full Version : 10 Ways to Prepare for Ramadan

Hamza Asadullah
06-25-2011, 11:41 PM
10 Ways to Prepare for Ramadan

The blessed & most beautiful month is near and what better time to prepare for it than right now. Some of us deceive ourselves into thinking that when Ramadan comes we will suddenly change and worship Allah night and day but we are only decieving ourselves in thinking like this.

The Sahaaba used to prepare for Ramadan six months in advance. So if we really want to make the best of this Ramadan then we need to prepare for it now!

This may be our last Ramadan for life is so uncertain. Then there is NO doubt that we must make the best of it for the Reward of EVERY good act in the month of Ramadan is multiplied many times over:

The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “Whoever draws near to Allah during it (Ramadan) with a single characteristic from the characteristics of (voluntary) goodness, he is like whoever performs an obligatory act in other times. And whoever performs an obligatory act during it, he is like whoever performed seventy obligatory acts in other times.” (Sahih Ibn Khuzaymah, no. 1887)

If there was a 75% sale on in the shops surely people would go crazy and even cue all night outside in order to be the first in the store to take advantage of this special offer. So in the same way why should we not take advantage of the immense rewards that are available in Ramadan?

The best way we can make the best of this Ramadan and grab the immense rewards that are available is to prepare for it NOW.

The following are 10 ways in which we can prepare for this beautiful month starting from NOW:

1. Voluntary Fasts

What better way of preparing ourselves to fast for 30 consecutive days in Ramadan than to fast the voluntary fasts.

Fasting Monday and Thursday:

Abu Hurairah reported that the most the Prophet, (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasalam) would fast would be Monday and Thursday. He was asked about that and he said: “The deeds of people are presented to Allah on every Monday and Thursday. Allah forgives every Muslim except for those who are deserting each other." He says: "leave them for later”. (Ahmad; Hasan)

Another is to fast the white days (13, 14 & 15th of each Islamic month):

Abu Tharr Al-Ghefari said: “The Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said "O Abu Tharr! If you fast three days of every month, then fast the 13th, the 14th and the 15th [these are call the al-ayaam al-beedh, the white days]". (Ahmad, an-Nasaa'i & at-Tirmithi; Sahih)

Therefore we should fast these days in order to prepare for the fasting of Ramadan and even after Ramadan we should continue to do so for fasting will intercede for us on the day of judgement:

Rasulallah (Salallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: "Fasting and the Qur’an will intercede for the slave on the Day of Resurrection. Fasting will say: “O My Rabb! I prevented him from food and desires, so accept my intercession for him.’ And the Qur’an will say: “I prevented him from sleep during the night, so accept my intercession for him.’ He (Sallallahu `Alaihi Wasallam) said: ‘And they will (be allowed to) intercede.’” (Ahmad, at-Tabarani, Al-Hakim, Sahih)

2. Reciting Qur’an

Allah the exalted says:

“The month of Ramadan is the one in which the Quran was sent down, a guidance for mankind, clear proofs for the guidance, the Criterion; so whoever amongst you witnesses this month, let him fast it." (Surah al-Baqarah 2:185)

Ramadan was the month in which the Qur'an was first revealed so it is the month of the Qur'an. We should devote much of this blessed month reciting the Qur'an.

Az-Zuhri used to say upon the coming of Ramadan, “It is only about reciting the Qur’an and feeding the poor.”

Abdur-Raziq said, “When Ramadan came, Sufyan Ath-Thawri would give up all acts of (voluntary) worship and devote himself to the recitation of the Qur’an.”

But for many of us the Qur'an has gathered a lot of dust since the last time we picked it up.

As Ramadan is fast approaching we must blow off the dust and start to build a close relationship with the Qur'an for it will intercede with us on the day of judgement:

"Recite the Holy Qur’an as much as we can for It will come as an intercessor for its reciter’ on the Day of Judgement" (Muslim)

The Recitor will be in the company of Angels:

‘Aa'ishah related that the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “Indeed the one who recites the Quran beautifully, smoothly, and precisely, will be in the company of the noble and obedient angels. As for the one who recites with difficulty, stammering or stumbling through its verses, then he will have twice that reward.” (Al-Bukhaari & Muslim)

There are Ten Rewards for Every Letter Recited from the Quran in normal times but in Ramadan these rewards are multiplied:

“Whoever reads a letter from the Book of Allaah, he will have a reward, and this reward will be multiplied by ten. I am not saying that 'Alif, Laam, Meem' (a combination of letters frequently mentioned in the Holy Quran) is a letter, rather I am saying that 'Alif' is a letter, 'Laam' is a letter and 'Meem' is a letter.” (At-Tirmithi)

So what better time for us to get into the habit of reciting the Qur'an than to begin to do so right now. We should recite the Qur'an with its meanings and try to understand and implement it into our daily lives.

We should set ourselves realistic targets for how much we should begin to recite each day for e.g. we will recite 1 or 2 pages a day, half a juz (chapter), or 1 juz etc. We should recite however much we can manage and then build up gradually.

3. Praying Superogatory (Nafil) prayers

In Ramadan every voluntary prayer carries the reward of a Fard prayer in normal times and there is nothing more rewarding than a Fard prayer so one can imagine the immense rewards that are available in Ramadan for every voluntary prayer we pray.

The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “Whoever draws near to Allah during it (Ramadan) with a single characteristic from the characteristics of (voluntary) goodness, he is like whoever performs an obligatory act in other times. And whoever performs an obligatory act during it, he is like whoever performed seventy obligatory acts in other times.” (Sahih Ibn Khuzaymah, no. 1887)

In order for us to take advantage of these immense rewards we should start begin now by praying all of the daily Sunnah and Nafil prayers so by the time Ramadan comes we will already be in the habit of praying all of our Sunnah and Nafils and so we cna increase our voluntary prayers even more so during Ramadan. This would be difficult if we were not in the habit of praying Sunnah and Nafil prayers in normal times.

By increasing our voluntary worship we can gain closeness to Allah as well as the company of Rasulallah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) in Jannah:

Rabi'ah ibn Malik al-Aslami reported that the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: "Ask (anything)." Rabi'ah said: "I ask of you to be your companion in paradise." The Prophet (Sallallahu ALaihi Wasallam) said: "Or anything else?" Rabi'ah said: "That is it." The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said to him: "Then help me by making many prostrations (i.e., supererogatory prayers)."

4. Making Dua

Many of us do not spend as much time as we should do in Dua. Even if we do we rush our dua and our hearts and minds are not present whilst supplicating to Allah.

Many of us rush our Dua's and our hearts are often not present whilst we are supplicating to Allah. Therefore we lose out on much of the benefits and blessings of Dua. We must give more attention to our Dua's and try to concentrate more and be more sincere in our Dua's imagining Allah watching us supplicate to him. We should humble ourselves making ourselves low and not worthy in front of Allah. We should try to cry if we can and have FULL hope that Allah will accept our Dua's if not in this world then in the hereafter.

Allah Almighty says in the Qur’an: "When my servants ask you concerning me, (tell them) I am indeed close (to them). I listen to the prayer of every suppliant when he calls on me."

The place of Dua is so honourable to Allah that the Prophet (Sallallahu AlaIhi Wasallim) said:

"Nothing is more honourable to Allah the Most High than Du`a." (Sahih al-Jami` no.5268).

It is the most excellent of worship:

He also said: "The most excellent worship is Du’a." (Sahih Al-Jami` no. 1133)

So let us get into the habit of making sincere Dua's from deep within our hearts and let us not be heedless when supplicating to Allah. What better time than now for us to get into the habit of making more intense and sincere Dua's. So by the time Ramadan arrives we would have already got into the habit of making the long, sincere and intense Dua's which will readily be accepted during this blessed month especially whilst we are fasting and in the latter part of the nights during Tahajjud.

It may help to make a list of what we should ask of Allah suring dua's which we can refer to as a reminder as this may help us to make our dua's longer and more sincere covering everything we want to ask of Allah.

5. Sincere Repentance

Ramadan is the month where we can gain mercy and forgiveness from Allah for all of our sins past and present.

We should know that Allah is most merciful and most forgiving and loves to forgive:

Allah says: O son of Adam, if your sins were to reach the clouds of the sky and you would then seek My forgiveness, I would forgive you.

When a person sins and then sincerely turns to Allah for forgiveness, one will find Allah ready to accept his repentance and to forgive him, as this verse indicates: And whoever does a wrong or wrongs himself, but then seeks forgiveness from Allah, he will find Allah forgiving and merciful. (Surat an-Nisaa 4:110)

Allah loves repentance and loves those who turn to him in repentance:

Truly Allah loves those who turn [to Him] in repentance, and He loves those who keep themselves in purity. (Qur'an 2:222)

Therefore we should get into the habit now of repenting to Allah so that in Ramadan we will make the best of repenting to Allah and continue to do so throughout everyday of our lives.
How unfortunate is a person who after the end of Ramadan does not gain any forgiveness of his sins from Allah but ends up piling more sins onto his account.

6. Generosity & Charity

Rasulallah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) became even more generous in Ramadan than he already was.

Ramadan is a time for generosity and giving. It is a time when we think about those who have less than us as well as thank Allah for everything he has given us. Ramadan is an honourable and blessed month, and the rewards for generosity are multiplied in it.

The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wassallam) said, “The best charity is that given in Ramadan.” (At-Tirmithi).

Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wassallam) said, “He who feeds a fasting person will gain the same reward as he will, without decreasing from the fasting person’s rewards.” (Ahmad).

Therefore we should get into the habit of giving in charity now so by the time Ramadan arrives we would increase in our generosity, giving to those less fortunate than ourselves. We should give whatever we can afford as Allah looks at our intentions.

Surely in there hereafter we will regret that which we did not spend in the path of Allah.

7. Controlling the tongue

Ramadan is a time where we must control our desires (nafs) aswell as our tongues:

Rasulallah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “Fasting is not (abstaining) from eating and drinking only, but also from vain speech and foul language. If one of you is being cursed or annoyed, he should say: ‘I am fasting, I am fasting.” (Ibn Khuzaimah, Ibn Hibban)

Therefore we must protect our tongue from vain speech and foul language. Protecting the tongue is preventing it from lying, back-biting, slander, tale-carrying, false speech and other things that have been forbidden in the Qur'an & Sunnah.

Those who control their tongues are of the best of Muslims:

The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) was asked: “Which Muslim is best?” He responded, “One who the other Muslims are safe from his tongue and his hand.” (Tirmidhi, #2504)

We must not deceive ourselves into thinking that by the time Ramadan comes we will all of a sudden break a lifetime habit and control our tongues. Again this is another big deception. We must start controlling our tongues now for we cannot for changing lifetime bad habits is not an overnight process.

So how can we begin to control our tongues? This can be done by "THINKING BEFORE SAYING ANYTHING". Not just talking without even thinking what we are going to say.

We must think before we speak and before saying anything we should think whether or not what we are going to say is going to please or displease Allah.

If we doubt that what we are about to say may anger or displease Allah then we should refrain from saying it. If we have nothing good to say then surely it is better NOT to say anything at all. Remember we WILL be accountable for everything we said in our lives so we MUST start taking responsiblity for what comes out of our mouths NOW otherwise we will regret it later when it is too late. Therefore we must get into the habit of "thinking before speaking".

So let us begin to control our tongues now so that by the time Ramadan comes we would have adopted good habits and would have been used to controlling our tongues and refraining from saying anything which may anger or displease Allah.

REMEMBER: If we do not protect our tongues then our fasts will be in vain:

Rasulallah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “Allah does not need the fast of one who does not abandon false speech or acting according to his false speech.” (Sahih Bukhari)

8. Improving Character & manners

Rasulallah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) came to perfect the character of man and the best of this Ummah are those wioth the best of characters:

Rasulallah (Sallallahu Alahi Wasallam) used to say: "The best amongst you are those who have the best manners and character.” (al-Bukhari)

Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: "There is none heavier in the scales of the Hereafter than good character (Tirmidhi & Abu Dawud).

Rasulallah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) also said: “The best loved by me and the nearest to me on the seats on the Day of Resurrection are those who have the best manners and conduct amongst you, who are intimate, are on good terms with others and are humble, and the most hated by me and who will be on the furthest seats from me are those who are talkative and arrogant." (Tirmidhi)

Again as with making any big change perfecting our character and manners cannot be done overnight but we must make a start now so that by the time Ramadan comes we would have gained momentum in making the necessery changes to our characters in order for us to be the best of this Ummah and those closest to Allah.

Surely if good character and manners are the heaviest on the scales then can you imagine how much more heavier they will be if we behave with good character and manners during Ramadan?

So let us strive to perfect our manners, character and conduct towards others and know that these good deeds will be of the heaviest on the scales and will enable us to reach the highest ranks of Jannah and the closest to Allah.

9. Moderation in eating

On the authority of Al-Miqdaam ibn Maadiy-Karib who said: I heard the Messenger of Allah saying: "No human ever filled a vessel worse than the stomach. Sufficient for any son of Adam are some morsels to keep his back straight. But if it must be, then one third for his food, one third for his drink and one third for his breath." (Ahmad, At-Tirmidhi, An-Nasaa’I, Ibn Majah )

Ibrahim al-Nakha’i, on of the teachers of Imam Abu Hanifa, may Allah have mercy on them both, mentioned: “The people ruined before you were done in by three characteristics: too much talking, too much eating, and too much sleeping.”

There is no doubt that excessive eating is not only a cause of many diseases but is also a major factor in stopping us from maximising our worship to Allah.

Ash-Shafi’I said: I have not filled myself in sixteen years because filling oneself makes the body heavy, removes clear understanding, induces sleep and makes one weak for worship.

Many of us fast during Ramadan fast during the day and after Iftaar make up for all the food we missed throughout the day by binge eating.

Surely this goes against the very purpose of Ramadan which is to be moderate in eating and to remember those who have less than us. How will we remember the unfortunate when we constantly over eating before and after our fasts?

By controlling what we eat now we will not only benefit our health in the short and long term but moderate eating will make us less heavier and enable us to maximise the amount of worship we do everyday during Ramadan and the rest of our lives.

Al-Hassan Al-Basri: “The test of Adam (AS) was food and it is your test until Qiyamah.

And, it used to be said: Whoever takes control of his stomach gets control of all good deeds.

And: Wisdom does not reside in a full stomach.

One day, Al-Hassan offered some food to his companion who said: I have eaten until I am no longer able to eat. To which Al-Hassan said: Subhaana Allah! Does a Muslim eat until he is no longer able to eat?

10. Implementing Sunnah's into Daily life

Following the Sunnah is a command from Allah:

"Say (O Muhammad to mankind): "If you (really) love Allah, then follow me (i.e. accept Islamic monotheism, follow the Quran and the Sunnah), Allah will love you and forgive you your sins. And Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." (Quran: 3:31)

Surely if we follow the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) in every aspect of our lives then everything that we do will become a worship to Allah, even going to the toilet, having a bath, dressing and undressing etc

Reviving the Sunnah into our daily lives:

Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “Whoever revives an aspect of my Sunnah that is forgotten after my death, he will have a reward equivalent to that of the people who follow him, without it detracting in the least from their reward.” (Tirmidhi)

The best habit we can ever have in our lives is to implement the Sunnah into EVERY aspect of our lives so that our whole life and everything we do during it can become a worship to Allah.

We can do this by gradually learning all of the Sunnah's and dua's of every aspect of our day waking up, leaving and entering the Masjid and house, dressing and undressing etc. So let us get into the habit right now of implementing every Sunnah's into our daily lives so by the time Ramadan comes we can continue to implement Sunnah's and gain even more rewards for them.

Download Comprehensive Sunnah collection to implement everyday of our lives:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/26863499/B...to-Do-Everyday

May Allah enable us to make the best of this Ramadan and make it a salvation for us in the Hereafter. Ameen

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Who Am I?
06-26-2011, 04:24 AM
Bookmarking thread. I need to know this stuff for my first Ramadan.

Reflections
06-26-2011, 10:56 AM
JazakAllahukheir for sharing,

One that needs to be kept in mind especially is...'moderation in food', the amount of food we stack up and prepare for ramadhan...fast throughout the day and then make up for it by iftaar by eating more food than you'd eat if it wasn't ramadhan! SubhanAllah....totally kills the hikmah of fasting

Hamza Asadullah
06-30-2011, 01:40 AM
How can we plan for each precious day in Ramadan?

Here is a solution: Download the "ProductiveRamadan taskinator" and plan for each and EVERY day of Ramadan. What an amazing way of making the best of each and everyday in the blessed month of Ramadan:

http://www.productivemuslim.com/word...veRamadan-.pdf

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
innocent
06-30-2011, 01:53 PM
JazakAllah khair

Hamza Asadullah
07-07-2011, 01:59 AM
Prophet Muhammad (Sallallahu Alaihi wasallam), said regarding those who do not leave false speech during ramadan:

"Whoever doesn't desist from speaking falsehood and acting upon it, Allah has no need that he desist from his food and drink." (Bukhari)

Therefore we must not fool ourselves into thinking that we will be able to leave false speech and profanity the day Ramadan starts. It does not work like that. We need to train ourselves NOW in order to control our tongues so that we may leave false speech and profanity and continue after Ramadan as Ramadan is training for the rest of the year and is not just for one month but for a lifetime.

~Raindrop~
07-07-2011, 02:46 AM
:sl: JazakAllahu khairan for this very beneficial thread. May Allah swt give us the tawfeeq to make the most of this blessed month. Ameen.

Starrynight
07-07-2011, 03:00 AM
Something that has been working for me is gradually increasing my fasting. I make my fast 30 min longer each day. I'm up to no food or drinks until 2:30 pm now and because of the gradual change, no headaches and even though I get hungry and thirsty it isn't so bad.

Who Am I?
07-07-2011, 02:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Starrynight
Something that has been working for me is gradually increasing my fasting. I make my fast 30 min longer each day. I'm up to no food or drinks until 2:30 pm now and because of the gradual change, no headaches and even though I get hungry and thirsty it isn't so bad.
I try to do the same. I made it until about 1:30 pm the other day, and in general I don't feel as hungry as I used to.

Today I am really struggling from lack of sleep though, so I had to grab some caffeine when I got to work.

Hamza Asadullah
07-07-2011, 03:08 PM
Asalaamu Alaikum, that is a brilliant idea particularly for those who have never fasted for a whole month and even for many of us who do not fast throughout the year except for in Ramadan.

Is this your first ramadan?

Starrynight
07-07-2011, 11:34 PM
Yup! My first one. I am getting excited though! I'm hoping it will help increase my devotion as I will be reflecting a lot more

Hamza Asadullah
07-08-2011, 12:10 AM
Yup! My first one. I am getting excited though! I'm hoping it will help increase my devotion as I will be reflecting a lot more
Ramadan is just amazing you will feel it whe it arrives and you would not want the feeling to go away. Once Ramadan finishes you can also feel it. I usually suffer from Ramadan blues meaning that i feel a bit depressed for a while when Ramadan is over such is the magnitude of this month.

What better time than to train ourselves for the rest of the year. What better time to increase our imaan (faith) and fear of Allah. What better time to repent for our past sins and what better time to gain closeness to Allah and admittance into the gardens of Paradise and freedom from the torment of the grave and the fire of Hell.

May Allah bless us all with as many Ramadans as possible in our lifetimes.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
07-08-2011, 12:43 AM
Assalaamu 'Alaykum wa rahmatullaah. BarakAllaahu feek!

May Allaah allow us to make the most of this Blessed Month, Ameen!

Who Am I?
07-08-2011, 01:24 AM
This will be my first Ramadan also, and I am excited and nervous about it at the same time.

Hamza Asadullah
07-08-2011, 01:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by King of Nines
This will be my first Ramadan also, and I am excited and nervous about it at the same time.
There is nothing to be nervous about brother just take it in your stride. In this month you will feel a inner peace that cannot be described but only felt. You will wish that life can always be like how you feel in Ramadan. Then you will think to yourself "Why was i ever worried or nervous"?

Just enjoy it when it comes and make the best of it. It will make you appreciate the simpler thing in life more like food, water and what the poor go through.It will also make you much closer to Allah and enable you to make changes to yourself that would otherwise be more difficult throughout the year.

Let us prepare now so that when it finally comes we can make the best of it but of course as a revert do not overburden yourself but do things at your own speed.

May Allah make it most beneficial for us in this world and the next. Ameen

Starrynight
07-10-2011, 03:05 PM
I have a question about praying during Ramadan. When doing wudu during sunlight hours do we still rinse out our mouths?

Just_A_Girl13
07-10-2011, 04:16 PM
I have a question about praying during Ramadan. When doing wudu during sunlight hours do we still rinse out our mouths?
Salaam sister,

Yes, you do rinse your mouth, but you do it quickly so that it doesn't quench your thirst. I wouldn't worry too much about it, just don't intentionally rinse for a longer amount of time so that it resembles drinking water.

Peace and blessings be with you :)

Starrynight
07-10-2011, 05:53 PM
Okay, that makes sense. Thank you!

Hamza Asadullah
07-10-2011, 10:46 PM
Asalaamu Alaikum, You can still rinse your mouth during Wudu and Ghusl but you must be very careful that no liquid goes down the throat otherwise it may break your fast.

So normally when we do Wudu and Ghusl we rinse our mouths and then gargle but whilst fasting you do NOT gargle at all so you do not bring it to your throat but keep it in your mouth and be extra careful not to let anything trickle down your throat.

Hope that helps.

Hamza Asadullah
07-14-2011, 03:35 AM
Preparing for Ramadan

The righteous predecessors were very attentive to the worship to Almighty Allah, including paying great attention to the holy month of Ramadan.

So it is known that many of them used to pray to Allah during 6 months after the end of Ramadan to accept their fasting, and then in 6 months they would ask Allah to allow to see the next Ramadan, so that they have another opportunity to make this great worship, which is the fasting in this holy month.

In other words, we can see how the pious predecessors of this Ummah (community of Prophet Muhammad, pbuh) were prepared to meet the Ramadan.

So Abu Bakr al-Balkhi, may Allah bless him with mercy, said:

"Rajab is the month to sow the seeds; Shaban is the month to irrigate the crop; and Ramadan is the month to reap the harvest".

And he also said:

"Rajab is like the wind; Shaban is like the water-laden clouds; and Ramadan is like the rain".

- Here a question arose: how do we need to prepare for Ramadan?

The answer is: while preparing for the Holy Ramadan, bear in mind the following:

1. Sincere repentance

Repentance is demanded to be performed continuously, at any time. But it would be better for you with the approach of the blessed month to hurry up with repentance for all the sins you committed against Allah, and also against His creations.

So with the advent of the Blessed Ramadan, you could proceed to the commission of worship with pure and quiet heart. Almighty Allah says in the Quran:

"And turn to Allah in repentance, all of you, O believers, that you might succeed".

Al-Agharr ibn Yasar al-Muzani, may Allah be pleased with him, narrated that the Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu Alaihi wasallam) said:

"O people! Turn in repentance towards Allah and ask His forgiveness. I turn towards Him a hundred times a day".

2. Dua (supplication)

It is reported from some of the righteous predecessors that they used to ask Allah for the six months to extend their lives to see Ramadan in good health. Then, they used to ask Allah for five months after Ramadan to accept their good deeds committed in it. Therefore, you, by following their example, pray Allah that He gives you an opportunity to celebrate Ramadan in good health and with a strong faith, and ask Him for the help in worshiping Him, and for acceptance of good deeds.

3. Joy in light of the coming of the Holy month of Ramadan

The approach of this blessed month is a great boon for every believer after all, because this month is a period of blessing. It is a month when the gates of Paradise are open and the gates of Hell are closed. It is a month when the Holy Quran was sent down.

Allah said:

"Say, In the bounty of Allah and in His mercy - in that let them rejoice; it is better than what they accumulate".

4. Replenishment of the left obligatory fastings

It is reported from Abu Salama, may Allah be pleased with him, that he said:

"I heard Aisha, may Allah be pleased with her, as saying: "Sometimes I missed some days of Ramadan, but could not fast instead of them except in the month of Shaban"."

Ibn Hajar, may Allah bless him with mercy, said:

"It can be drawn from the desire of Aisha to make up the missed days of Ramadan in the month of Shaban that any missed fasts to make up have to be made up before the next Ramadan comes".

5. Acquisition of knowledge related to the dignity of the month of Ramadan, and with certain provisions of the fast.

6. The coming completion of all deeds that can distract you from worship in the month of Ramadan.

7. Explanation to the household, relatives and friends of the basic provisions of the fast.

Motivation to "little ones" to participate in the fast, so that they could become accustomed to the basic kinds of worship in Islam from their childhood.

8. Fasting in the month of Shaban, in order to prepare for the month of Ramadan.

It is reported in an authentic hadith from Aisha, may Allah be pleased with her, that she said:

"Sometimes the Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings of Allah be upon him, fasted so much that he even thought he did not break his fast in that month, and sometimes he broke his fast so much that we would say he did not fast. I did not see the Messenger of Allah (pbuh) fast in the whole month except Ramadan. I never saw him fast in any month more than he did in Shaban".

It is also reported from Osama Bin Zeid, may Allah be pleased with him, that he said:

"O Messenger of Allah! I did not see you fasting in any month as you do in the month of Shaban".

The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wasallam) said:

"People neglect this month which is between Rajab and Ramadan, in this month the deeds of the people are presented to Allah; so I like my deeds to be presented while I am fasting".

This hadith explains the wisdom of fasting in the month of Shaban, namely the fact that deeds or actions are presented to Allah. Also, some scholars have pointed out other wisdom of the fasting in the month of Shaban, which lies in the fact that this fasting is like a sunna-prayer committed before the obligatory farz-prayer. Thus, a man prepares himself, a sort of warm-up before the fulfillment of the obligatory form of worship.

9. Reading the Quran

Salamah Ibn Suhayl, may Allah be pleased with him, used to say:

"The month of Shaban is the month of reciters of the Quran".

When Shaban came, Amr Ibn Qays al-Malai, may Allah be pleased with him, used to close his store and devote his time to reading the Quran.

Now, having said all this, let's look at our situation, and answer ourselves, being honest, how we prepare for this blessed month, and how we are going to meet it?

We ask Almighty Allah for help and assistance in preparing for the fasting, and for a worthy meeting of the Holy month of Ramadan!

Source: http://islambrowser.blogspot.com/201...r-ramadan.html

Hamza Asadullah
07-23-2011, 01:46 PM
Have you Prepared for the Big Arrival?

Many people don’t understand or misunderstand the true essence of fasting, and they make it an occasion for eating and drinking, making special sweets and staying up late at night and watching shows on TV. They make preparations for that long before Ramadan; they look through aisles of grocery stores and skim through the satellite TV guide to plan their meals and accompanying TV shows! Ramadan is the month of fasting, a month of training and recharging, a month to be filled with worship; not a month of feasting and reclining!

Here are some practical tips on the best ways of preparing for the month of Ramadan like no other:

1. Feel Sincere Regret:

Actually repentance is necessary at all times, but as this amazing blessed month is approaching, it is more incumbent upon us to hasten back to Allah, to regret our sins, to fix our relationship with Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta’ala), to amend relations with people; this is so when Ramadan begins you may work on yourself and perform acts of worship with a clean heart and mind inshaAllah.

Allah says what means: “And all of you beg Allah to forgive you all, O believers, that you may be successful” (24:31)

The Prophet (peace be upon him), a man of exalted character, was reported seeking forgiveness from Allah seventy times a day. (Muslim)

The fact of the matter is that we have committed so many sins, major and minor, and those are just the ones we are aware of; what about all the sins we commit which we don’t even recognize, forget, or overlook? This Ramadan is an opportunity to turn back to Allah, begging for forgiveness for our sins, major and minor, intentional and unintentional, those we’ve commited once and those we’ve done repeatedly. Now is the time to repent.

2. Du’aa’ (Supplication):

It is reported that the Salaf would approximately pray to Allah for half the year that they would live until Ramadan, and then they would pray almost the other half that He would accept it from them, SubhanAllah!

As Muslims, we should ask Allah to let us live until Ramadan with a strong religious commitment and good physical health, and should ask Him to help us in obeying Him during this month and in asking Him to accept our good deeds.

3. Rejoice at Ramadan

The arrival of Ramadan is a great blessing that Allah bestows upon Muslims, because Ramadan is one of the occasions in which the gates of Paradise are opened and gates of Hellfire are closed. It is the month of the Quran and of decisive battles in Islamic history.

As mentioned in the Quran: “Say: In the bounty of Allah and in His mercy – in that let them rejoice; it is better than what they accumulate.” (10:58)

4. Complete Qada Fasts

This is particularly important in preparation for Ramadan as often those who missed fasts in the previous year may have to rush in making them up before Ramadan. It is of great importance for women, the old, or those who were ill last Ramadan. You should complete any outstanding obligatory fasts from the previous Ramadan before this Ramadan arrives.

5. Seek Knowledge

Seek knowledge from your local mosque, trusted scholars, authentic books/Cd’s etc in order to understand and follow the rulings on fasting; otherwise like many a Ramadan you may not attain the spiritual sustenance and learn the key to fulfilling fasting. This will also help you understand the virtues of Ramadan, and to increase your knowledge, love, fear, good deeds. Then sit with your family to tell them of the rulings on fasting, and other things you learned – get them in the Ramadan mode early!

6. Fast in Sha’ban: Preparation for Ramadan

The Messenger (peace and blessings be upon him) was reported to have fasted the most in Sha’ban.
(Bukhari, Muslim)

Therefore we should take advantage of opportunities to fast in this month.

7. Read Quran

The Salaf used to read Qur’an in preparing themselves to Ramadan:

• When Sha’ban began, ‘Amr ibn Qays would close his shop and free his time for reading Qur’an.

• Abu Bakr al-Balkhi said: “The month of Rajab is the month for planting, the month of Sha’ban is the month of irrigating the crops, and the month of Ramadan is the month of harvesting the crops.”

He also said: “The likeness of the month of Rajab is that of the wind, the likeness of Sha’ban is that of the clouds and the likeness of Ramadan is that of the rain; whoever does not plant and sow in Rajab, and does not irrigate in Sha’baan, how can he reap in Ramadan?”

Source:http://www.productiveramadan.com/hav...e-big-arrival/

May Allah enable us to make the best of now in order to prepare for the arrival of ramadan.

We still have a week left so let us finalise our preperations so that we can be ready to make the best of every second of Ramadan upon its arrival in a weeks time.

Hamza Asadullah
06-11-2013, 02:52 PM
Pre Ramadhan tips

1. Shape up your soul:

Prepare yourself spiritually by *fasting*on Mondays, Thursdays and the 13th, 14th, 15th of the lunar calendar in Shaa'baan. Wake up earlier than usual (even half an hour before Fajr will do) and*pray. Read the *Qur'an after Fajr even if it's only for 10-15 minutes. Stock up on interesting Islamic lectures that you can listen to during the day or on your way to work. If you're cooking or waiting in a line or have some free time, do Dhikr.

2. Detox your body:

Stifle the urge to munch snacks at odd moments or when you're bored. Drink lots of water, and avoid endless cups of coffee and tea. Start with a complex carbohydrate breakfast that releases energy slowly and allows you to stay energised through the day. Have a light meal at the end of day with lots of fruit, vegetables, live culture yogurt and salad.

3. Free your mind:

Get rid of all those erototoxins that are generated by watching music videos or listening to music and the anxiety hormones produced by watching the news on TV.*Wean yourself off TV, read an interesting Islamic book instead.

4.Tie your camel:

Do what it takes to keep you organised in Ramadhan. Shop for groceries in advance, prepare large batches of food and freeze them, chop vegetables and store them in airtight containers.

Source: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-the-Most-out-of-Ramadhan

Periwinkle18
06-11-2013, 04:05 PM
JazakAllah Khayrun for bumping the thread akhi Ramadan's coning I'm excited need to prepare for it InshaAllah

~Zaria~
06-11-2013, 06:26 PM
:salam:

If you have an Iphone/ Ipad/ Ipod, this is a great app to have in shaa Allah:

http://qamardeen.com/

It allows you to track your salaah, quraan recitation, sadaqah and fasting each month.
If you flip your screen horizontally, it also provides a graph to help you visualise your progress (tbh, I only figured out this function now, as I am typing this :hiding:)

In shaa Allah, we can use these means to improve on our different forms of ibaadat, both out of, and within Ramadaan.

جوري
06-11-2013, 06:34 PM
Great thread. My suggestion if I can add my two cents is to delay your dinner time everyday little by little until it reaches the breaking fast time. Here in the U.S right now fajr is at 3:45 and maghreb is at 8:27 pm so if you usually have dinner around 4~5 try to acclimate the body by increasing that everyday so it wouldn't be shocking to go from zero to sixty in a day. Also try for protein packed meals for suhoor.

:w:

Periwinkle18
06-12-2013, 03:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~Zaria~
:salam:

If you have an Iphone/ Ipad/ Ipod, this is a great app to have in shaa Allah:

http://qamardeen.com/

It allows you to track your salaah, quraan recitation, sadaqah and fasting each month.
If you flip your screen horizontally, it also provides a graph to help you visualise your progress (tbh, I only figured out this function now, as I am typing this :hiding:)

In shaa Allah, we can use these means to improve on our different forms of ibaadat, both out of, and within Ramadaan.
any apps for android ??

hmm thinking of staying away from my ph n lappy during ramadan lets c. It just gives u more time to do Ibadah

~Zaria~
06-12-2013, 05:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Periwinkle18
any apps for android ??

:salam:,

Alhamdulillah, Ive just learnt that this app is now also available for android : ) https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...apps.QamarDeen

format_quote Originally Posted by Periwinkle18
hmm thinking of staying away from my ph n lappy during ramadan lets c. It just gives u more time to do Ibadah
Thats a good idea ukthi : )

It also depends on how you use your devices.
There are many great islamic apps available - e.g. reciting/ learning quraan, arabic, hadith, stories of the sahaba, lectures...and more - so these can be a means of increasing our deeni knowledge in shaa Allah, if we use it correctly.

Periwinkle18
06-12-2013, 06:20 PM
Planning stuff listening to lectures reading tons of Islamic books gng to boost my imaan level InshaAllah I'm excited no work this Ramadan (schools r off Yayyy) so I cn spend more time in ibadah used to get tired last year Cuz of work.

Ramadan is my favorite month of the year n I love fasting Alhumdulilah.

JazakAllah khayr brother hamza for this thread may ALLAH bless you and grant u jannah ul firdos ameen.

We need to prepare for Ramadan InshaAllah

Hamza Asadullah
06-15-2013, 11:43 PM
How To Prepare For Ramadan Before It’s Too Late!

http://islamiclearningmaterials.com/...epare-ramadan/

Hamza Asadullah
07-02-2013, 09:28 AM
Strengthen your resolve & organise your Ramadan

http://productivemuslim.com/strength...paign=RSS+Feed

lynn4now
07-07-2013, 06:42 AM
I TOO am excited about my first Ramadan and also nervous fasting is not an issue for me as far as hunger but right now I work as a Pastry Chef so I spend 4-5 hours spitting stuff out or being mad because I've nibble out of habit not necessarily out of hunger and then there is the issue of my tongue and temper when hungry...just as prayer is greater during Ramadan so is the Sin....and although I am not married I have three husband (Head Chef,Executive Sous Chef, and Sou Chef) hat will scold me something fierce for not tasting... but I going to try to make it through inshallah.:D

~Zaria~
07-07-2013, 06:27 PM
I TOO am excited about my first Ramadan and also nervous fasting is not an issue for me as far as hunger but right now I work as a Pastry Chef so I spend 4-5 hours spitting stuff out or being mad because I've nibble out of habit not necessarily out of hunger and then there is the issue of my tongue and temper when hungry...just as prayer is greater during Ramadan so is the Sin....and although I am not married I have three husband (Head Chef,Executive Sous Chef, and Sou Chef) hat will scold me something fierce for not tasting... but I going to try to make it through inshallah.:D

Assalamu-alaikum sister,

Your first Ramadaan in shaa Allah (by the will of Allah)?
Alhamdulillah!

I can imagine how stressful it must be, to be a Chef in a busy kitchen, and to have to meet the high expectations of your customers and seniors throughout the day.
But Im sure that you are an expert at making pastry (unlike myself :exhausted), so you do not need to worry too much in shaa Allah : )

I was just wondering:

From your post, it appears that you may be working in a non-muslim restaurant? (as I would expect muslims to be more understanding during the month of Ramadaan with regards to tasting of dishes etc. Also, to have 3 Chefs in-command, does not really sound like a muslim restaurant :P ).

If this is so, then it would be most beneficial for you to seek employment in a muslim/ halaal restaurant.
The reason being, is that most if not all non-muslim restaurants are involved in the preparation/ selling of items that are haraam for us as muslims - e.g. pork, alcohol and meat that has not been slaughtered in a halaal manner.
Not only should we abstain from the consumption of all products that has been declared unlawful for us by Allah (subhanawata'la), but we should also steer clear from any associations/ dealings (both directly and indirectly) with them as well.

If I have been incorrect in my assumptions, then no worries - MashaAllah, cook on, my dear sister :)

I pray that Allah makes this Ramadaan most rewarding for you and may He shower you abundantly with His mercy and blessings.
Ameen

:wa:

Hamza Asadullah
03-04-2022, 08:08 PM
Shaʿban: Preparation For Ramadan

Each year we are reminded that this Ramaḍān may be our final one. We also often remember those who were here last year but have passed on to Allah (subḥānahū wa ta‘ālā) since then.

Amidst the hustle and bustle of everyday life, Ramaḍān, by the will of Allah, is the lifeline we desperately need: patience through fasting, tranquillity through the night prayer, purification through repentance, comfort through du‘ā’ and contentment through dhikr.

For this Ramaḍān to be our best, we should start preparing now, spiritually but also physically. The month of Shaʿbān is akin to the sunnah prayers. The sunnah prayers help us to get into the ‘mode’ of Salāḥ and prepare us for the farḍ prayers. By preparing in Shaʿbān, we are more likely to taste the sweetness of fasting and qiyām in Ramaḍān.

The following are some of the ways in which we can prepare for this momentous month:

1. Start fasting, especially if you have qada fasts

2. Increase in your recitation of the Qur’an

3. Start praying at night

4. Give charity

5. Start reading/listening to something which will boost your iman

6. Clear your heart

7. Hold yourself to account

8. Purify yourself before Ramadan by seeking forgiveness

9. Make a change in your routine

10. Draw up your Ramadan timetable

Read more detail of the above 10 points here:

https://lifewithallah.com/articles/s...n-for-ramadan/

Hamza Asadullah
01-24-2023, 06:46 AM
Getting Ready for Ramadan 2023 - Tips for preparing and useful checklist

https://www.anonymouslyzara.com/prep...-ramadan-2023/

https://youtube.com/shorts/mJqyI6pBmAc?feature=share

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!