/* */

PDA

View Full Version : punishment for suicide

jameelash
06-29-2011, 01:40 PM
salam

A. It is narrated on the authority of Abu Hurairah (Radiallahu Anhu) that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said, whosoever commits suicide by killing himself with a sharp object, he will continue stabbing himself in his belly in the fire of hell forever and ever. And whosoever commits suicide by consuming poison will continue poisoning himself in the fire of hell forever and ever. And whosoever commits suicide by jumping off a cliff, will continue jumping off a cliff in the fire of hell forever and ever”. (Sahih Muslim, Hadith #: 313)

a) The words “sharp object” are used in the Hadith. This may refer to a person committing suicide by stabbing himself or shooting himself or killing himself in any other way with some sharp object.

b) The words “consuming poison” mentioned in the Hadith also refers to a person who commits suicide by taking an overdose of medication intentionally.

c) Jumping off a cliff also refers to a person jumping from a high place with the intention of suicide.

In short, in whichever way a person commits suicide, he/she will suffer the consequences of it in Jahannam by killing himself/herself over and over again in the same manner they had committed suicide.

Suicide is a major sin in Islam and ends the person up into more difficulty and torment than he can ever bear in this world.

And Allah Knows Best

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Strzelecki
07-01-2011, 07:21 AM
Suicide is a sad concept, really.
When people lose all hope, all trust, all faith...They lose everything mentally and just want a way out.
I know no sound minded person can commit this act. But I have to ask - is this reality like a blanket? Or does it depend on someone's mental state/circumstance at times? (Genuine question I've been wondering lately.)

Someone I know, took their own life just a few weeks ago. It's very hard to come to terms with, when it's someone you've had personal exchanges with. You just can't believe life got hard, so they just quit. Their mental state, I simply can't comprehend. But their punishment - Allah swt knows best and judges fairly. I just need to lose my weakness in this time and accept this.

Tyrion
07-01-2011, 07:40 AM
Its hard not to sympathize for people who are put in situations where they would consider suicide... But at the same time, we should realize that God knows what He's doing... I suppose you could think of it this way: If a person went in to take an important exam, but then half way through he freaks out and just gives up.. He's probably going to fail the exam and that failure will have its consequences that he'll have to deal with, regardless of his reasons for giving up... On the bright side, from my understanding it doesn't mean that they will be condemned to punishment forever (especially if they weren't mentally stable). Due to Gods mercy, they may just be punished for a set time depending on other aspects of how they lived their life... At least, I think this is the case. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Ramadhan
07-01-2011, 07:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by buriedaway_4536
Suicide is a sad concept, really. When people lose all hope, all trust, all faith...They lose everything mentally and just want a way out. I know no sound minded person can commit this act. But I have to ask - is this reality like a blanket? Or does it depend on someone's mental state/circumstance at times? (Genuine question I've been wondering lately.) Someone I know, took their own life just a few weeks ago. It's very hard to come to terms with, when it's someone you've had personal exchanges with. You just can't believe life got hard, so they just quit. Their mental state, I simply can't comprehend. But their punishment - Allah swt knows best and judges fairly. I just need to lose my weakness in this time and accept this.
As a muslim we have absolute faith that Allah SWT have absolute knowledge and is Most Just.
But we know that punishment for suicide is An Naar (hellfire) forever, and that the pen is lifted when someone is pre-balig, sleep, and insane. As for the fate for those who committed suicide, we shouldn't speculate, just as we have absolutely no knowledge who goes to hell and paradise for everyone else.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Strzelecki
07-01-2011, 08:23 AM
JazakhAllahu kheyr for the replies.

I didn't intend to speculate, nor convey any wavering Tawakkul - as that's not the reality of my mindset (insha'Allah).

It's tough, especially early on.
You feel for the family, you can't help but have sympathy (rightly or wrongly) for the person who commited this act. Even though you know just how big an evil it is. Allahu alim as to the mindset, in the moment.

I honestly don't know if you've been there. But you become weak, softened. You just keep drifting off mentally for a while, always thinking "Oh my gosh, but why?"

Allah swt knows best.
Please know, I intended the best in my post - this one, and the previous one.

GuestFellow
07-01-2011, 09:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by buriedaway_4536
I know no sound minded person can commit this act. But I have to ask - is this reality like a blanket? Or does it depend on someone's mental state/circumstance at times? (Genuine question I've been wondering lately.)
Salaam,

It depends. From what I read at Islam QA, a person suffering from a clinical illness to the extent where he cannot form any mental state will be treated differently. Everything will be taken into account.

Source

Someone I know, took their own life just a few weeks ago. It's very hard to come to terms with, when it's someone you've had personal exchanges with. You just can't believe life got hard, so they just quit. Their mental state, I simply can't comprehend. But their punishment - Allah swt knows best and judges fairly. I just need to lose my weakness in this time and accept this.
A person that experiences suicide feels he has no options in life and is all alone. These people feel that their problems are beyond their control. Death is not want they desire, but they feel that they are put in a situation where they have no choice. Death is seen as a solution to all their problems. We can see that there are solutions available but those that commit suicide cannot.

Eric H
07-01-2011, 10:53 AM
Greetings and peace be with you all,

Just some thoughts, supposing someone is being bullied to the point they can no longer take it any more, and they commit suicide. Who should take the greater punishment, the bully or the victim?

In the spirit of praying for justice and mercy for all people

Eric

Ramadhan
07-01-2011, 11:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Eric H
Just some thoughts, supposing someone is being bullied to the point they can no longer take it any more, and they commit suicide. Who should take the greater punishment, the bully or the victim?

This is a question from someone who does not believe God is Most Just.

jameelash
07-02-2011, 05:57 PM
salam,watever the reason one has no right to end hislife.if one has true faith in Allah one will never DARE to commit suicide.the tragedy is by commiting suicide he feels is freed from all tragedies forgetting that real suffacation punishment only to start from qabr .we r to pray salath janaza even for such people.this shows clearly that we don,t have any right speak ill of them since only Allah know their state at the time of death.wether they were in clear mind or mentally ill at the time of death.and Allah alone has the right to decide.may Allah guide us in the right path

Darth Ultor
07-02-2011, 07:06 PM
What about with a bomb around his waist pronouncing shahadah? Killing himself and others in the name of "Islam"?

Tyrion
07-02-2011, 07:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Boaz
What about with a bomb around his waist pronouncing shahadah? Killing himself and others in the name of "Islam"?
Pretty sure the vast majority has condemned those acts as going against Islamic teachings... Obviously there will be some who try to twist things to make it okay, but It's not really something that's easy to justify when given the Quran as your guide. I'm not sure which group makes up the majority on this forum though, so I'm curious to see other people's responses.

May Ayob
07-02-2011, 08:49 PM

Salaam
Nothing Justifies the killing of people , Nothing. Anyone who does such an act is not following Islam and has absolutely no Islamic Guidance , He is probably facing problems and he thinks the only way to get rid of these problems is to killhimself but he also has to take revenge that's why going out of this world alone is not an option for him , so He kills people and then he tries to save himself from the terrible act he has commited by saying that killing them is not wrong and that he is going to be matryr if he did so.. I think it has to do with some diseases that the heart might be suffering from, also probably Psychological problems.

In Islam It is absolutely haraam/Porhibited to kill any innocent soul , It is one of the most deadliest sins to ever commit whoso ever kills one soul it is as if he/she has killed all Mankind.

This is an act of suicide and its reward is Hell Fire.

It is better to get knowledge from the source not from the Media

Peace be to you

May Ayob
07-02-2011, 08:54 PM
Greetings and peace be with you all, Just some thoughts, supposing someone is being bullied to the point they can no longer take it any more, and they commit suicide. Who should take the greater punishment, the bully or the victim?

Greetings and Peace be to you too :)

God is the Most-Just and Fair in all dealings
Have faith and Trust in his Justice.. I think to me the one to blame is the Bully and not the one being Bullied
And It is never up to us to decide who will go to heaven or hell , Even if they commited suicide I think we should stay away from these Judgements as we are not innocent of committing sins and therefore we are in no position to decide.
Ask your heart, Would it be fair if the bully went to heaven and the one who was the victim went to hell?
I think the answer is obvious.
Just have trust in God (The Creator)
I hope all these doubts leave you and you will be in Peace of mind and heart.

In the spirit of praying for justice and mercy for all people
Ameen to all your prayers.
Peace be to you.

Salahudeen
07-02-2011, 10:38 PM
I think the key verse to remember in situations like this is, "Allah does not burden a soul with more than it can bear"

Darth Ultor
07-03-2011, 01:15 AM
May, that's why I'm asking here. What in the Quran could they possibly twist to indicate that it's okay?

Innocent Soul
07-03-2011, 01:42 AM
Narrated Anas bin Malik: The Prophet said, "None of you should wish for death because of a calamity befalling him; but if he has to wish for death, he should say: "O Allah! Keep me alive as long as life is better for me, and let me die if death is better for me.' " (Sahih Bukhari: Book#70, Hadith# 575)

So be moderate in your religious deeds and do the deeds that are within your ability: and none of you should wish for death, for if he is a good doer, he may increase his good deeds, and if he is an evil doer, he may repent to Allah."
(Sahih Bukhari Vol. 7 : No. 577)

That feeling of being bullied goes along with time. Till then we should try to patient and try making other pious friends so that other incidents like these don't happen. As everyone said Allah is Most Just.

The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said:
"Do not abuse anyone, Do not look down upon any good work and when you speak to your brother, show him a cheerful face."
[Muslim: Book 32 Hadith no 6359]

That's ignorance. They don't have knowledge of what they are doing is right or wrong. Maybe these type of people don't know how to struggle for their religion.

“God does not forbid you to be kind and equitable to those who have neither fought against your faith nor driven you out of your homes. In fact God loves the equitable.” Qur’an: 60:8

“When my servants ask thee (O, Muhammad) concerning Me, tell them I am indeed close (to them). I listen to the prayer of every suppliant when he calleth on Me.” Qur’an: 2:186

O you who have believed, obey Allah and obey the Messenger and those in authority among you. And if you disagree over anything, refer it to Allah and the Messenger, if you should believe in Allah and the Last Day. That is the best [way] and best in result.Quran 4 :59

May Ayob
07-03-2011, 01:32 PM
May, that's why I'm asking here. What in the Quran could they possibly twist to indicate that it's okay?

Peace be to you

Just as people twisted some verses in the Bible when they decided to kill millions of people because they did not accept Christ as their Savior- Of course they only did that to gain some materialistic benefits. You know some times it is religious Fanaticism and this strong sense of hatred towards people who are different and Arrogance -thinking that you are always right no matter what and everyone else isn't, many reasons. Also Mental illness would be a posibility as well.

Peace be to you

jameelash
07-05-2011, 05:40 PM
salam
Believers are forbidden to resort to unscrupulous methods, indiscriminate killing and pillage
salam
God decrees: Fight in the way of God against those who fight against you, but do not transgress. God does not love transgressors (2:190). Believers are to fight only those who do block the way to the true faith, and are forbidden to resort to unscrupulous methods, indiscriminate killing and pillage that characterizes all wars waged by non-Muslims regardless of time or place. The excesses alluded to in the verse above are such things as taking up arms against women and children, the old and the injured, mutilating enemy corpses, and destroying fields and livestock.

non of these rules r followed by these bomb suiciders.how can we include them inthe catagary of muslims.these bomb suiciders r mainly youngsters drug addict trained by blackhands behind them in such a way they firmly believe or made to believe they r in the path of jihad and die as martyrs.wen my non muslimfriends ask me about them i just brush it off saying they r not muslims but terrorist.what they r doing is against the rule of islam.so they cannot be included in the catogary of muslims.Allah will decide what is best for them.

DippedinJannah
07-06-2011, 05:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Salahudeen
I think the key verse to remember in situations like this is, "Allah does not burden a soul with more than it can bear"
I agree but I also think that 99% of people who commit suicide are suffering from depression, which is a serious mental illness. They are not in their right minds.

It is for Allah (swt) to judge.

Darth Ultor
07-06-2011, 11:56 AM
What about having to choose between killing yourself and apostasy or the life of another?

May Ayob
07-06-2011, 01:47 PM
What about having to choose between killing yourself and apostasy or the life of another?

Peace be to you

Your question is a bit unclear why kill my self I mean under what circumsatnces and conditions?
Apostacy has another dealing but i will withhold from answering until your would explain your question further
If you please may then I would appreciate it as I don;t understand it correctly to give you a complete answer.
Peace be to you

Darth Ultor
07-06-2011, 08:44 PM
Apostasy: Say you live in a dictatorship that forbids the practice of everything but the state religion or religion in general. The state arrests you and you are given the choice: Renounce Islam or die.

Your life and the life of another: You are a captive along with another. The captors give you a gun with one bullet. They say kill yourself or kill another. Another circumstance would be if a loved one needs an organ transplant and you give up say a kidney or your heart to save the patient and die on the operating table.

Perseveranze
07-06-2011, 09:41 PM
What's more sad is countries like Japan almost encourage it. Like to some cultures it can be a "honorable thing to do" depending on certain situations.

Perseveranze
07-06-2011, 09:47 PM
Fine: Go into Muslim countries, rape, torture and kill innocents. It's just collateral damage, heroes fighting to "protect" their country.

Wrong: Blow yourself up and kill innocents. This is terrorism.

So much hypocrisy and ignorance. Getting that out of the way, Islam does condemns such actions.

Ramadhan
07-07-2011, 03:02 AM
Apostasy: Say you live in a dictatorship that forbids the practice of everything but the state religion or religion in general. The state arrests you and you are given the choice: Renounce Islam or die. Your life and the life of another: You are a captive along with another. The captors give you a gun with one bullet. They say kill yourself or kill another. Another circumstance would be if a loved one needs an organ transplant and you give up say a kidney or your heart to save the patient and die on the operating table.
That's a catch-22 situation. Does not apply in "suicide".
and Allah SWT is Just.

May Ayob
07-07-2011, 09:43 AM
Apostasy: Say you live in a dictatorship that forbids the practice of everything but the state religion or religion in general. The state arrests you and you are given the choice: Renounce Islam or die.

Like the one that happened in Spain, Where the Catholic Queen Isabella decided either to slaughter all the Muslims( and Jews I think) or they will be Baptised.
In this situation then it happened in the time of the Prophet PBUH when one of the Companions renounced Islam .. But he was still a Muslim but where he lived there was not a dictatorship but the people were very hostile towards Islam and the Muslims and the companion was heniously tortured so he had no choice but to renounce Islam

There are rules :
1. The person must renounce Islam by his/her Tongue and only their Tongue but if they accepted apostacy by their hearts then this is disbelief.
Here's a following verse revealed in the case of the companion I mentioned:
-106." Whoever disbelieved in Allâh after his belief, except him who is forced thereto and whose heart is at rest with Faith but such as open their breasts to disbelief, on them is wrath from Allâh, and theirs will be a great torment." - Judgement will be from Allah and not the Muslims.

So, according to the following verse there is no restriction on a Muslim who is forced to renounce his/her faith but one must renounce it by tongue and not heart.

To be honest the following questions are hard ones,I have never imagined my self in such a situation what I will answer will be based on what I know and also based on what I would have done.. I am not claiming that this is going to be the correct Islamic answer it is mostly from my Ijtihad(human effort) and if I have failed to give you a satisfying answer that is Islamicly and Ethically acceptable then please accept my apologies as I am no scholar I am answering as a Muslim nothing more.

Your life and the life of another: You are a captive along with another. The captors give you a gun with one bullet. They say kill yourself or kill another
I do not think you are allowed to do both, because killing your self would still be considered as Suicide and also killing the other would be Murder. I do not have a garuntee that the captors will actually let my fellow brother or sister still alive so I would have waited until God s.w.t has decreed an order upon our situation my answer would be I would neither Kill my self nor would I have killed the other.. It is better for us to die both and be accepted as Martyrs Insha'Allah then me killing my brother or sister and hold the burden of his/her blood.

Another circumstance would be if a loved one needs an organ transplant and you give up say a kidney or your heart to save the patient and die on the operating table.
This is a very hard one to be honest, To give blood , or an organ to a human being even if they are not a loved one would be considered as one of the most sacrificial and self-less things any great human being might do. But the situation with giving the Kidney is different to giving your heart to someone... In the kidneys case there would not be much problem as you only need one kidney to filter out the toxins from your body but God gave us another from His generousity, so your life would not be at risk you would only need to drink more water.
As for the heart I simply don't know If I will give you an answer it would be based on the Prophet's Hadeeth "Ask your Heart if people gave you answers" and the Heart should be mankind's best friend,I can only say that If in Islam there is Jihad ( the strive , struggle and Sacrifice in the cause of Allah) where the Muslim has to put their life at risk to save others and to protect other I can only give you this verse.

"Because of that We ordained for the Children of Israel that if anyone killed a person not in retaliation of murder, or (and) to spread mischief in the land - it would be as if he killed all mankind, and if anyone saved a life, it would be as if he saved the life of all mankind."

This is from my short knowledge and God knows best , I am hoping more brothers and sisters give you a better answer than mine.. it may be wrong and what is wrong is from the evil of my soul and the shaytan , it maybe right and what is right is from God's Grace and Mercy
Thank you for asking.
Peace be to you

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!