PDA

View Full Version : Loud eardrum bursting music and dancing at hijabi girls parties?



innocent
06-30-2011, 11:38 AM
I went to a party and they had music and dancing. They were all hijabis and I was actually quite shocked at how loud the music was and how everyone except me was dancing and enjoying it. Usually when there is music being played at a shopping centre or similar I dont notice the music-I can sort of switch off from the music if u like. But here it was too loud to even hear myself think so I didnt stay longer than I had to. But why is it that I am the only person I know who avoids music and believes it is haram? I am surrounded by practising muslims who are very religious but when it comes to music its all out the window!
Does anyone else find this?
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Starrynight
06-30-2011, 12:58 PM
Well, there is debate about whether or not music is haram. From what I've come across it all comes down to content. So if they were dancing to Keisha or Eminem I can see the problem. Were they all girls? Because I was under the impression it was okay to dance as long as it's just around girls.
As for the music being too loud to think, sorry about that. I've got sensitive ears too :(
Reply

aadil77
06-30-2011, 01:18 PM
It's definitely this type of environment that invites fitna, who knows next they may invite a couple of 'brothers'
Reply

innocent
06-30-2011, 01:27 PM
content was definitely not good. Mainstream pop english and bollywood. Sheila ki jawani.
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
innocent
06-30-2011, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by aadil77
who knows next they may invite a couple of 'brothers'
No I dont think theres any dannger of that
Reply

nature
06-30-2011, 02:00 PM
They prob didnt see the harm in it, and no your not the only one..some people are a bit more laid back with certain things. Educate them sis, maybe they dont know ?
Reply

Tyrion
06-30-2011, 11:07 PM
Difference of opinion. They're allowed to disagree with you on things like this... Music is not a clear cut issue. If the content of the music is really bad, then you could try requesting (in private) that they change it...

But please try not to become the religious police...

Originally Posted by aadil77
It's definitely this type of environment that invites fitna, who knows next they may invite a couple of 'brothers'
Have some faith in your sisters.
Reply

Starrynight
06-30-2011, 11:52 PM
Originally Posted by innocent
content was definitely not good. Mainstream pop english and bollywood. Sheila ki jawani.
Why is bollywood music bad?
Reply

Who Am I?
07-01-2011, 01:20 AM
Originally Posted by Starrynight
Why is bollywood music bad?

Because it sucks? :D :p

Sorry, I couldn't resist...
Reply

missy
07-01-2011, 02:27 AM
Originally Posted by innocent
I went to a party and they had music and dancing. They were all hijabis and I was actually quite shocked at how loud the music was and how everyone except me was dancing and enjoying it. Usually when there is music being played at a shopping centre or similar I dont notice the music-I can sort of switch off from the music if u like. But here it was too loud to even hear myself think so I didnt stay longer than I had to. But why is it that I am the only person I know who avoids music and believes it is haram? I am surrounded by practising muslims who are very religious but when it comes to music its all out the window!
Does anyone else find this?
Yeah, I know what it feels like *sighs*…I've gone thru this too, altho my friends didn't do proper hijab.
Such a thing coming from practicing Muslim girls is really sad. Though there are differences of opinion in this regard, one should always stay on the safe side. Music is something that could lead one to sin more, like in such parties were there is loud music, it would be difficult to hear the Azan, or even realize that it's time for prayer. One is at the risk of missing an obligation which would amount to sin.

Originally Posted by Starrynight
Why is bollywood music bad?
It's out of question for those who know! Haha :p In fact the songs, especially "bollywood" songs promote stuff like love, relationships (those between unmarried couples) etc and the funny part is that these songs go to such an extent in promoting such things that some of their wordings contain Shirk…like "Tera Sajdah" (In this particular song, the guy goes about telling the girl that he loves her so much that he could prostrate in front of her day and night). It's simply pathetic.

And "Sheila ki Jawani" kinda songs are like porn…any sane person listening to it, and other such songs would just go mad wondering how foolish people can get.
The basic fact is that it's all corruption and from the works of Shaytan.

Originally Posted by Starrynight
So if they were dancing to Keisha or Eminem I can see the problem. Were they all girls? Because I was under the impression it was okay to dance as long as it's just around girls.
It's pretty much the same...or i guess even worse.
Yeah, dancing and singing amongst girls is fine but they should maintain some kinda decency and not act like drunk hooligans.

Originally Posted by King of Nines
Because it sucks? :D :p
Totally it does! It sucks more than Hollywood!
Reply

Starrynight
07-01-2011, 05:33 AM
Hm.. okay interesting perspective. Thanks for the info :)
Reply

Salahudeen
07-01-2011, 06:03 AM
Bollywood songs are terrible in my opinion, they delude impressionable young girls into living a real life bollywood love stories.

I've noticed that people, after listening to these type of songs want to immitate what they've seen/heard on the screen, and the majority of the time, what they've heard/seen isn't halal.

There was 1 girl in my college, and she had a BF and she would all ways relate her life back to bollywood lol, whenever something would happen between her and her bf, she would go, " we're like sharukh and kajol in such a such movie"

and my male friends would use the lines from these bollywood movies on girls, and the girls would fall for the lines. Aferwards my friends would laugh at their stupidity for beliving a word they said.

All in all I think bollywood is a very bad influence, especially on young people, they put a desire in people to achieve a certain thing, mainly a real life romance similar to the one seen on the screen.

Is it even halal to watch these movies where non mehrams are acting out haraam scenarios with each other? and women walking around uncovered as well as men exposing their bodies.


then what about listening to the filthy music that they create from these movies with lines such as, "I love you more than my god"

more examples can be seen here, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKjvoGWZ2tA


@ the OP, I think in modern times the hijaab or beard are no longer a sign of piety, it's quite possible that people who adorn themselves in the muslim dress code do not possesse the piety that their dress promotes.

So I don't expect much in terms of piety from a girl in hijaab or a guy with a beard, I take everyone as an individual now. Hijaab or beard are no guarantee for a good righteous person even though we equate the two with a good righteous person.

also, Yasir Qadhi on how Music affects the heart. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMAmK...eature=related
Reply

Tyrion
07-01-2011, 06:10 AM
Originally Posted by Salahudeen
more examples can be seen here, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKjvoGWZ2tA
Lol, I love how in his description he says music isn't allowed in Islam, but then proceeds to include music in his video.
Reply

innocent
07-01-2011, 10:23 AM
Okay there is a difference of opinion but nobody can deny that if the content is innappropriate then its not allowed. I dont think there is a difference of opinion on the content is there?
Reply

ardianto
07-01-2011, 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by Salahudeen
There was 1 girl in my college, and she had a BF and she would all ways relate her life back to bollywood lol, whenever something would happen between her and her bf, she would go, " we're like sharukh and kajol in such a such movie"
Sharukh Khan and Kajol ?. Kuch Kuch Hota Hai was the most popular Bollywood movie in Indonesia, even its theme song was more popular than Titanic theme song. :D
Reply

Ramadhan
07-01-2011, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by ardianto
Sharukh Khan and Kajol ?. Kuch Kuch Hota Hai was the most popular Bollywood movie in Indonesia, even its theme song was more popular than Titanic theme song.

Kuch Kuch Hota Hai was the first Bollywood movie I saw in entirety.
And I watched it three times :embarrass:embarrass
But that's because I have the DVD, and I had to watch it again with some friends.
:D

Kuch Kuch Hota Hai was such a guilty pleasure, it's so over the top (just like any other bollywood movies I guess) that I kept bursting into laughter throughout the movie. It was an eye opener for me of this Bollywood genre.
Reply

tigerkhan
07-01-2011, 01:19 PM
subhan allah inspite of learning eman, taqwa, shyness...we are seeing indian movies....full of shameless scenes by the most shameless ppl of the world...
one of the sign of time of qiyamat, there will be songs and dance in every home.
in one more hadith, every religion has some base and the base of islam is shyness.
eman has 72 branches and shyness is one important of them.
Allah swt make us among those who love HIm and Prophet PBUH and avoid the things that are not allowed by them. ameeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee een
Reply

Ramadhan
07-01-2011, 01:25 PM
^ Ameen to the du'a.

Just clarification: I'm in no way promoting bollywood movies, I watched them when I was nowhere near Islam.
Reply

Who Am I?
07-01-2011, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by ardianto
Sharukh Khan and Kajol ?. Kuch Kuch Hota Hai was the most popular Bollywood movie in Indonesia, even its theme song was more popular than Titanic theme song. :D
And probably better. I hated Titanic and everything associated with it.
Reply

tigerkhan
07-01-2011, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by Ramadhan
I watched them when I was nowhere near Islam
we all are weak. allah swt forgive our faults, and save us from such fitnas in future.
Reply

Starrynight
07-01-2011, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by innocent
Okay there is a difference of opinion but nobody can deny that if the content is innappropriate then its not allowed. I dont think there is a difference of opinion on the content is there?
Oh I wasn't saying I disagreed. I just haven't seen any Bollywood movies in a long time so I don't want to give my opinion on them when I don't have any background.

Salahudeen, even though it is too bad that people are not wearing the religious markers (like hijab or beard) because they truly want to follow it, I think it is good that you now judge each person as an individual :)
Reply

Who Am I?
07-01-2011, 02:47 PM
Brother Salahudeen, I still wear normal Western clothes, but I am growing a beard now. I want to get one of those sufi caps eventually, but not until I have told my family and friends. I'm not quite ready to go open with this thing yet, not until I learn more and become stronger in my faith.
Reply

GuestFellow
07-01-2011, 02:52 PM
Salaam,

Originally Posted by Starrynight
Why is bollywood music bad?
It's the content. Bollywood music usually involves two people being in love but are not married, so it is encouraging dating which could possibly lead to fornication. The actress and the actor do not wear appropriate clothing sometimes.

Besides, bollywood and hollywood music gives me a headache. So if it is bad for me, it is bad for everyone. :p:

Originally Posted by King of Nines
Because it sucks? :D :p

Sorry, I couldn't resist...
Best post ever. My brain pukes when I hear bollywood music, especially the disturbing lyrics.
Reply

Muhammad
07-01-2011, 04:11 PM
Assalaamu Alaykum,

Originally Posted by Tyrion
Difference of opinion. They're allowed to disagree with you on things like this... Music is not a clear cut issue. If the content of the music is really bad, then you could try requesting (in private) that they change it...
Music is not simply a matter of difference of opinion wherein disagreement is allowed. 'Numerous scholars declared consensus [ijma’] on the prohibition of using musical instruments which suggests at the very least that the opinion which permits using musical instruments is unreliable. The list includes scholars such as al-Tabari (d.311 A.H.), al-Nawawi (d.676 A.H.), Ibn Qudamah al-Maqdasi (d.620 A.H.), al-Qurtubi (d.671 A.H.) and Ibn Taymiyyah (d.728 A.H.).'

Music: A Prohibited and Fake Message of Love and Peace

Music: A simple matter of disagreement?
Some Muslim musicians assert that music is one of the most controversial topics in Islamic jurisprudence, although they usually acknowledge that many eminent classical scholars have considered it forbidden. Some such as Sami Yusuf have argued that there are, ‘…other eminent scholars – classical and contemporary, who permit singing and the use of musical instruments.’3 Such statements are frequently used as Islamic evidence by those who hold the opinion that the production of music as well as listening to it is permissible. However, such a declaration demands the naming of scholars who have claimed that the subject of music is one of the most controversial topics in Islamic Jurisprudence. It is accepted that a few contemporary scholars hold the view that musical instruments are permissible albeit with certain conditions attached. Nevertheless, this does not render the issue of music a controversial one, especially within the confines of Islamic law. In this regard, we are at liberty to scrutinise our judicial rulings which have been formed over fourteen centuries in order to locate one scholar who described this issue as a highly controversial one. It is expedient that we understand the principle of Islamic law which informs us that where a handful of scholars hold a view which opposes the overwhelming majority, the issue neither remains controversial nor the difference acceptable and valid. This principle is agreed upon among Islamic jurists and reads, ‘There is no censure in issues of disagreement, while the censure is only in issues that have consensus’.4 The scholars have further explained the meaning of issues of disagreement by stating that irregular or weak opinions are excluded from this principle altogether rendering them open to censure. For this reason Ibn al-Qayyim in his work ’Ilam al-Muwaqqi’in explains at length the difference between issues that are open to enquiry and the exercising of one’s opinion [ijtihad] and issues that are not subject to ijtihad even if there may be scholars who hold opinions contrary to the established ruling.5
A Simple Matter of Disagreement?


You may also wish to see:

Can I listen to Music? (youtube)
Reply

Ansariyah
07-01-2011, 04:31 PM
If it's an all sisters party, I don't see what they're doing wrong. Music can always be replaced with some kewl Nasheeds.
Reply

May Ayob
07-01-2011, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by innocent
I went to a party and they had music and dancing. They were all hijabis and I was actually quite shocked at how loud the music was and how everyone except me was dancing and enjoying it. Usually when there is music being played at a shopping centre or similar I dont notice the music-I can sort of switch off from the music if u like. But here it was too loud to even hear myself think so I didnt stay longer than I had to. But why is it that I am the only person I know who avoids music and believes it is haram? I am surrounded by practising muslims who are very religious but when it comes to music its all out the window! Does anyone else find this?

Salaam sis
Please before hand accept what I will say in the best way they were intended to be...
Is this post meant for anything else but critisicm?
I mean what do you want us to say: Oh these Hijabis are bad and start calling them names.. and become religous superficial?
I don;t see any point as , If I was going to be one of those girls and I read what you wrote I would take it as critiscism and backbitting ..This is to me.It's not very nice to be talking about people whom I think they like you and consider you as a friend.
We all fall into mistakes and sins , we all do bad thing we were never perfect , no matter how good we get we will never be perfect.. No need for bad opinions and SuuZan,
Originally Posted by innocent
why is it that I am the only person I know who avoids music and believes it is haram?

^^Does this sound like self-Purification to you? To me it does If you are like this then this is from the mercy of your Lord , Religion is not a competition we all fall into mistakes May be one day they will out leads us all in deeds and we will regret the fact that we have ever criticise what they were doing..
Please we all have to make differtiation between the sin and the sinner, it would be better if you have a more anonymous and indirect approach as the prophet peace and blessings be upon him used to do..He always used to say Howcome so and so is doing this ( without giving descriptions and naming names) and he always used to seperate the act from the actor

In the End we all want the good to happen to our brothers and sisters no need to take it personal.. It's not like you were annoyed by Drunk people in your front yard and it is your choice to politely leave at anytime ..

With best intentions
SAlaam
Reply

Who Am I?
07-01-2011, 05:29 PM
*Jams out to Hendrix and the Stones*

Don't mind me, man.
Reply

SFatima
07-01-2011, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by innocent
content was definitely not good. Mainstream pop english and bollywood. Sheila ki jawani.
I haaaaaaayyte that song : ( and you are facing the same situation that I do too.. I avoid music, and i usually skip such gatherings or excuse. It decreases my eeman, while listening to them and bearing up with such an environment for long, really.
Reply

SFatima
07-01-2011, 06:29 PM
And also, who likes humming and dancing along the tunes of mushrik( polytheists) people, i certainly don't feel good about it. Muslims have their own identity, their own culture. true that music is entertainment, but it definitely darkens the soul, and humans like things that feel different to them, inculcate a sense of escapism in them, make them feel good about themselves, no matter how destructive they are in the long run.

Don't humans like alcohol and drugs too,:rollseyes i mean we LIKE these things, but we try to stay away from them because Allah swt has asked us to stay away from them,and His love for us, and ours for Him, should be bigger than all this.

But yeah for ardent music listeners, this can be a difficult step, not impossible, can happen in good time with some honest effort.
Reply

SFatima
07-01-2011, 06:34 PM
Just like the guy in the video says, it is just not possible to really love Allah swt and music, at the same time. One has to go, for the other to prevail. I can so relate, and it indeed is very true...
Reply

Perseveranze
07-01-2011, 08:07 PM
Lol, has to be pak culture, I remember the same thing at a wedding when I went to Pak land.
Reply

Ali Mujahidin
07-02-2011, 04:39 AM
Originally Posted by King of Nines
Brother Salahudeen, I still wear normal Western clothes, but I am growing a beard now. I want to get one of those sufi caps eventually, but not until I have told my family and friends. I'm not quite ready to go open with this thing yet, not until I learn more and become stronger in my faith.
:sl:

Actually it works the other way round. Your iman grows stronger and stronger as you practice more and more of Islam in your daily life. So keep on going forward, even if it's just one teeny eeny leetle step at a time.

Back on topic.

Once I went out with a friend who came from another state. We started with just coffee and ended up in a lane full of eardrum-bursting music and gyrating girls who looked like they didn't have enough money to buy decent clothes. My friend was swaying to the music. I was swaying too but to my dhikr. It was a very tough test of my iman alright. Of course, that's the last time I went out with that friend.

Seriously speaking, Islam is, as a very rough analogy, like a broad highway. Why do we have to walk along the edge with the risk of falling into the ravine by the wayside? Said ravine being filled with hellfire? Why can't we just stay safe and sound in the middle of the road? Anyone who thinks that life is no fun unless he lives dangerously should first put his hand into a burning fire and then tell us again about how much fun it is to live dangerously.

WaLLahu aklam
Reply

SFatima
07-02-2011, 05:27 AM
its the same in pk, india, and pak families who are bollywood influenced all over the world :p
Reply

Tyrion
07-02-2011, 06:25 AM
Originally Posted by Muhammad
Assalaamu Alaykum,

Music is not simply a matter of difference of opinion wherein disagreement is allowed. 'Numerous scholars declared consensus [ijma’] on the prohibition of using musical instruments which suggests at the very least that the opinion which permits using musical instruments is unreliable. The list includes scholars such as al-Tabari (d.311 A.H.), al-Nawawi (d.676 A.H.), Ibn Qudamah al-Maqdasi (d.620 A.H.), al-Qurtubi (d.671 A.H.) and Ibn Taymiyyah (d.728 A.H.).'

Music: A Prohibited and Fake Message of Love and Peace



A Simple Matter of Disagreement?


You may also wish to see:

Can I listen to Music? (youtube)
I've got to be honest... The links you provided aren't particularly convincing... But my only point is that there is still a group that differs, and that a fair few people now feel the same way as well. There is confusion, whether people want to admit it or not. Different and similar evidences are given by both sides, and people who are educated in Islamic universities come back with differing opinions... I'm not encouraging people to go out and invest all of their time in music, but only making the point that differences of opinion do exist, and the evidence that exists for the prohibition is NOT clear. I know people like to claim that it is, but it really isn't... So it's hard to find convincing textual evidence, and on top of that, the reasons that are given by people (like some of the members on this site) tend to be ridiculous and not at all correct... Like when people start saying crazy things like, ALL music encourages you to do bad things, or how ALL music does this or that... Stuff like this either just isn't true, or it can be said for a number of other things. It's a difficult issue, to be sure, and it's not something I think we should get hung up on... There are more important things the Ummah needs to worry about, and I feel like this is one of those issues that should be left for people to research and decide on their own.

I could be wrong, and there could be a brilliant explanation of this somewhere out there that I'm not aware of... But if that's the case, then perhaps that evidence needs to be presented in a way where people (namely Muslim youth) could thoroughly understand it and ask questions about it... No longer are the scholars dealing with uneducated laymen... Now the average person is relatively educated, and while they may not possess an extensive knowledge of fiqh or other specific religious sciences, its unfair for people to expect people to accept opinions when we honestly aren't convinced... Does that make sense? (And even in the case of laymen, I don't think its fair to expect them to just shut off their brains and accept an opinion that they cannot understand or agree with.. At least not until satisfactory evidence and explanations have been given to them, right? )

The opinion of the scholars is respected, but if I can't personally be convinced in my heart that something is wrong, I can't just call it haram and encourage the chastising of those who feel like it's okay. If you believe that music is haram, then avoid it. I have no problems with this. If you believe music is a form of honest entertainment when done right, and that it's not outright forbidden, then that's okay too. In the case of the OP, I feel like it shouldn't be a huge issue that the sisters listen to music... The content could potentially be an issue, but the issue of music itself isn't something I think we can really condemn them for. There needs to be an understanding that the evidence presented (or even HOW it's presented) is confusing, and somewhat unsatisfactory for a number of people. And these are honest, pious, well meaning people. They don't do it to spite you, and many of them aren't completely ignorant of their religion... This is just a fact.. Many people aren't convinced (and I think they have their own legitimate reasons not to be), and that's one reason why I think there needs to be some softening up on those who hold a differing opinion on the issue.

I'm sorry that turned into a little rant, but I just wanted to get a few of those things out here before I forgot. I know it was a bit disorganized, and I left a lot out, but I hope it made sense. I'm not particularly awake at the moment (just finished a day full of finals x_x), so if you catch any mistakes please tell me and I'll correct myself or try to explain my thoughts further. Also, I'm not trying to anger anyone so please don't take any kind of offense.. (although I'm sure someone is going to get upset)
Reply

ardianto
07-02-2011, 07:05 AM
Originally Posted by SFatima
its the same in pk, india, and pak families who are bollywood influenced all over the world :p
Far East and South East Asia are influenced by Japanese Pop Culture, but only to youth from Mongoloid race. I never see Indonesian youth from Indian, Pakistani and Arab community who dressed like Japanese or Korean pop artists.
Reply

SFatima
07-02-2011, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by Tyrion

I've got to be honest... The links you provided aren't particularly convincing... But my only point is that there is still a group that differs, and that a fair few people now feel the same way as well. There is confusion, whether people want to admit it or not. Different and similar evidences are given by both sides, and people who are educated in Islamic universities come back with differing opinions... I'm not encouraging people to go out and invest all of their time in music, but only making the point that differences of opinion do exist, and the evidence that exists for the prohibition is NOT clear. I know people like to claim that it is, but it really isn't... So it's hard to find convincing textual evidence, and on top of that, the reasons that are given by people (like some of the members on this site) tend to be ridiculous and not at all correct... Like when people start saying crazy things like, ALL music encourages you to do bad things, or how ALL music does this or that... Stuff like this either just isn't true, or it can be said for a number of other things. It's a difficult issue, to be sure, and it's not something I think we should get hung up on... There are more important things the Ummah needs to worry about, and I feel like this is one of those issues that should be left for people to research and decide on their own.

................

I'm sorry that turned into a little rant, but I just wanted to get a few of those things out here before I forgot. I know it was a bit disorganized, and I left a lot out, but I hope it made sense. I'm not particularly awake at the moment (just finished a day full of finals x_x), so if you catch any mistakes please tell me and I'll correct myself or try to explain my thoughts further. Also, I'm not trying to anger anyone so please don't take any kind of offense.. (although I'm sure someone is going to get upset)
Salam tyrion,

I understand where you're coming from and i have to say that , No-one sounds as upset as your post, im afraid ;D

Jokes aside, anyhow, from your post it appears that you're quite fond of music, and hence as usual, when we like something, we are quick to rise in its defense. I have a looong list of arguments piled up, but i know that at the end of it, you still wont be convinced because it takes an open heart to be convinced of something as wrong, our minds are only convinced when we separate our human desires from spiritual desires.(not implying that you don't have an open heart/mind etc)

Anyhow i wont get into the long of it, but i would just add that Music is definitely against Islam, and Islam is definitely against music, but Islam is not against poetry ( good decent poetry), not against singing, and not against un-hollow instruments. I will share the supporting verses and ahadiths regarding this, but just so you know that I'm not looking to convince you about something you aren't yet ready to believe in.

And I will only be sharing it as a strong supporting evidence that Music was never encouraged in Islam, it was always discouraged.

Off course, some people take minor liberties out of haram things too, so its nothing new when people take huge liberties out of things that were discouraged in Islam, and clearly not favoured.

I'm probably wrong but, probably the reason why they are not so blatantly clear in black or white, is because Allah swt knew how much the ummah was going to indulge in it, and that would mean enormous piles of sin piling up for us, if it actually was given the status of pork -haram, or anything else haram.


There are 4 statuses for things in Islam,

1. Haram/ forbidden.
2. Makrouh/disliked.
3. Allowed.
4. Recommended ( highly).

So ,its understandable when we choose the highly recommended, and its understandable when we choose the disliked and border-lined makrouh, which leads us very close to haram. will post more InshAllah.

peace to you.
Reply

Tyrion
07-02-2011, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by SFatima
No-one sounds as upset as your post, im afraid
I wasn't particularly upset either. Perhaps you're just not aware of how often this issue comes up though? That's why I felt the need to go deeper in my response.

Originally Posted by SFatima
Jokes aside, anyhow, from your post it appears that you're quite fond of music, and hence as usual, when we like something, we are quick to rise in its defense. I have a looong list of arguments piled up, but i know that at the end of it, you still wont be convinced because it takes an open heart to be convinced of something as wrong, our minds are only convinced when we separate our human desires from spiritual desires.(not implying that you don't have an open heart/mind etc)
Not at all. See, you're making assumptions about me... Lol, this kind of response was exactly why I made such a long post.

Originally Posted by SFatima
Anyhow i wont get into the long of it, but i would just add that Music is definitely against Islam, and Islam is definitely against music, but Islam is not against poetry ( good decent poetry), not against singing, and not against un-hollow instruments. I will share the supporting verses and ahadiths regarding this, but just so you know that I'm not looking to convince you about something you aren't yet ready to believe in.
*sigh* Thanks for ignoring everything I said. Honestly, it's a little insulting to be talked down to as if my arguments are just a result of me 'following my desires'. You should stop making those assumptions.
Reply

SFatima
07-02-2011, 07:33 PM
lol ok I'm sorry if it seemed to you as if i was making an assumption, but i wasn't, since i'm just replying to a post, and your point of view is also something that i come across a lot, so i kind of know what to expect.... Anyhow, what you said in your post , I read it , and well thats another thing if you completely don't like music, and you still wonder why its not encouraged in ISlam, 'cause why would you wonder about something if you have nothing to do with it... ? :rollseyes

but before you think that i was replying to your post keeping your words in mind, I actually wasn't, I only had the topic, your main argument, and myself in mind; myself and the other many when I, and they used to think exactly the same way, your post is all about. And those were the thoughts that needed to be addressed first, as per my very limited understanding, you may not agree but maybe someone got what I was trying to say.

peace.
Reply

Ali Mujahidin
07-03-2011, 02:30 AM
Originally Posted by Tyrion
Perhaps you're just not aware of how often this issue comes up though?
:sl:

I don't know about other people but I have had my own personal struggles with this issue. Let's get back to the basics.

Music is an art form created from sound. Of course, not all sound is music. Music is supposed to have rhythm and harmony. Still this is quite open to debate. Some sounds which seem like music to some people are just plain noise to others. For example, heavy metal music may sound totally meaningless to those who do not like it.

Music is found all over the world in all kinds of cultures. I have no concrete data on this but I think it arose from the desire to imitate nature. So someone who is enthralled by birdsong may try to emulate it. In some cultures, music becomes a subject of serious study. Western music, for example, is based on the scale structure like "do re me ... " Other cultures have their own musical formats.

I have seriously asked myself:

"Can I live in a world without music?"

The answer is the same as asking:

"Can I live in world without maksiat?"

The way I see it, anything that leads me away from worshiping Allah is haram. Period. Seriously, there are only that many hours in each day. If I spend X number of hours listening to music, I would be spending X number of hours not reading the Holy Quran or listening to recitations of the Holy Quran. To me, whatever benefits I can get, from listening to music or playing music, is of absolutely no value when compared to the benefits of listening to recitations of the Holy Quran or reading the Holy Quran myself.

Everyone can go to Hell in their own different ways but I am trying my best not to head in that direction. Ya Allah, ya Rabbi, I beg Allah to keep me strong and steady on the true path of Islam. Ameen.
Reply

Mr.President
07-03-2011, 07:10 AM
he said , tht guy said, this guy said if he says its ok, if tht scholar says then all okay !!! I think its like this, I think its like that

music : difference of opinion no worries listen and dance
isbaal : difference of opinion no worries drag and say I am on safe side
beard : shave it style it like a zig zag and then say my friends say I look ugly so and so I did
salah : I had lot of work I am tired is it allowed ? naah ok lets pray tomorrow
Films : I should learn some hindi so bollywood is good perhaps some English now Hollywood is good
Alchohol : lil bit of alchohol is ok tht doesnt make me crazy or dizzy so may be its okay
Cigerets : I will quit 2maro this is the last 1

chat talk get2gather with opposite sex then say equality, friendship or I am a social person

I hope this aint my evil soul but its me now I am a perfect "MUSLIM"

trying to find a perfect interpretation or opinion to suite my Western + Islam mixed life

but will they MIX ???

MUSIC starts with nasheeds which has good meaning like sami yousufs then lifts lil bit up and nw yousuf islam is playing guitar y dont I play and a bit further now its the state "I cant fight this feeling anymore" then it goes on and on ....

"MUSIC" some muslim say its a small issue dont make it big dividing ummah.. !


I see I am labeled as EXTREMIST !!!




May allah Guide us in the right path !!

ihdinas siraathal mustakeem !!

EXCEPTION : the DUFF has cretin exceptions !
Reply

innocent
07-04-2011, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by May Ayob
Salaam sis
Please before hand accept what I will say in the best way they were intended to be...
Is this post meant for anything else but critisicm?
I mean what do you want us to say: Oh these Hijabis are bad and start calling them names.. and become religous superficial?
I don;t see any point as , If I was going to be one of those girls and I read what you wrote I would take it as critiscism and backbitting ..This is to me.It's not very nice to be talking about people whom I think they like you and consider you as a friend.
We all fall into mistakes and sins , we all do bad thing we were never perfect , no matter how good we get we will never be perfect.. No need for bad opinions and SuuZan,



^^Does this sound like self-Purification to you? To me it does If you are like this then this is from the mercy of your Lord , Religion is not a competition we all fall into mistakes May be one day they will out leads us all in deeds and we will regret the fact that we have ever criticise what they were doing..
Please we all have to make differtiation between the sin and the sinner, it would be better if you have a more anonymous and indirect approach as the prophet peace and blessings be upon him used to do..He always used to say Howcome so and so is doing this ( without giving descriptions and naming names) and he always used to seperate the act from the actor

In the End we all want the good to happen to our brothers and sisters no need to take it personal.. It's not like you were annoyed by Drunk people in your front yard and it is your choice to politely leave at anytime ..

With best intentions
SAlaam
Salam sister.
Please forgive me I am genuinely sorry if I offended you or anyone else with my post. That was not the intention Allah swt knows and neither was it to backbite and I hope Allah swt will forgive me if I did.
The main reason was to see wether I was being too extreme and uptight in being dead set against music.
Please brothers and sisters accept my sincere apologies if I caused any offence.
jazakAllah khair
Reply

May Ayob
07-04-2011, 09:40 AM
Originally Posted by innocent
Salam sister. Please forgive me I am genuinely sorry if I offended you or anyone else with my post. That was not the intention Allah swt knows and neither was it to backbite and I hope Allah swt will forgive me if I did. The main reason was to see wether I was being too extreme and uptight in being dead set against music. Please brothers and sisters accept my sincere apologies if I caused any offence. jazakAllah khair


Salaam Sis

I don't deserve an apology beleive me I am not worthy of you being sorry
I was just trying to say that sometimes in some cases it is better to not mention descriptions
By the way I am not innocent of this my self , I wasn't going to write what I said except that .. well no need to mention
But I was not offended at all with anything you said , I was just trying to give you another perspective of the case you brought up
I understand your concern for the Ummah and I also commend it.
Non -taken no need to worry :)

Salaam
Reply

SFatima
07-04-2011, 10:29 AM
Originally Posted by innocent
Salam sister.
Please forgive me I am genuinely sorry if I offended you or anyone else with my post. That was not the intention Allah swt knows and neither was it to backbite and I hope Allah swt will forgive me if I did.
The main reason was to see wether I was being too extreme and uptight in being dead set against music.
Please brothers and sisters accept my sincere apologies if I caused any offence.
jazakAllah khair
No dear, your post did not seem to me as a back biting attempt at all, since we don't know who you are or your friends, and in matters of questions, one has to mention the entire story if one wants a sincere reply. And that is what I got from your post too, since i get that from people too, so please do not worry for being called extreme or such, you are never extreme when you are on Islam, islam itself is moderate. You have a choice, you can and i think you should stay away from such gatherings where you feel uncomfortable with such loud music, i do too, so i avoid them altogether, or go inside a room if it bothers so much. But by now my friends know it too that I don't like such gatherings so much, so if they really want me to come, they keep it comfortable for me, or they dont invite me, which i completely understand : )

why don't we have a hijabee partee, you me and all the sisters here , that will be a real treat :D :muslimah:
Reply

innocent
07-04-2011, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by SFatima

why don't we have a hijabee partee, you me and all the sisters here , that will be a real treat :D :muslimah:
:awesome::muslimah:
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!