/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The Goat Corporal.William Windsor.

Endymion
07-01-2011, 11:16 AM
William Windsor (known as Billy), a goat in the military, was a lance corporal in the 1st Battalion, the Royal Welsh, an infantry battalion of the British Army. He served as a lance corporal from 2001 until 2009, except for a three month period in 2006 when he was demoted to fusilier, after unacceptable behaviour during the Queens' birthday celebrationsWhipsnade Zoo while deployed on active service with the battalion on Cyprus. He retired to in May 2009.

Biography

The tradition of having goats in the military originated in 1775 when a wild goat walked onto the battlefield in Boston during the American Revolutionary War and led the Welsh regimental colours at the end of the Battle of Bunker Hill.
Billy, a Kashmir goat from the royal herd at Whipsnade Zoo, was presented to the regiment by Queen Elizabeth II in 2001. He is said to be friendly and likes meeting people. The tradition is not new: since 1844, the British Monarchy has presented an unbroken series of Kashmir goats to the Royal Welch Fusiliers from the crown's own royal herd.
The royal goat herd was originally obtained from Mohammad Shah Qajar, Shah of Persia from 1834-1848, when he presented them to Queen Victoria as a gift in 1837 upon her accession to the throne. Billy is thus descended from the same royal bloodline as the original herd.

Military career

Billy's Army number 25232301 is not a mascot, but a ranking member of the regiment; since joining in 2001, he has served overseas, and has met royalty. His primary duty was to march at the head of the battalion on all ceremonial duties. He was present for every parade in which the regiment participated.He spent two and a half years in Cyprus while the battalion was posted there, and has lived in Chester since their return.

Goat Major

Billy had a full-time handler during his military service, Lance-Corporal Ryan Arthur, known as the Goat Major, who ensured Billy's welfare at all times.

Retirement

Following eight years of distinguished service, Billy retired due to his age. On 20 May 2009, he was led into his trailer by the battalion's Goat Major in full ceremonial dress, including a silver headdress which was a gift from the Queen in 1955. Soldiers from the battalion lined the route from his pen to the trailer as he left the camp for the last time. Billy returned to Whipsnade Zoo in Bedfordshire where keepers say that he will have an easy life at the Children's Farm. His replacement will be chosen from a herd on the Great Orme in Llandudno in June.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Who Am I?
07-01-2011, 01:49 PM
Goats rule. I want to get a goat and stick it in my backyard, for grass cutting.

But I bet it would try to eat my dogs. Goats eat anything and everything.

Signor
02-15-2014, 05:31 PM
Re: Why is Zakat 2.5% is this rate from the Hadith where is this ?

format_quote Originally Posted by truthseeker63
Why is Zakat 2.5% is this rate from the Hadith where is this ?
Narrated By Anas:

When Abu Bakr; sent me to (collect the Zakat from) Bahrein, he wrote to me the following:-- (In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful). These are the orders for compulsory charity (Zakat) which Allah's Apostle had made obligatory for every Muslim, and which Allah had ordered His Apostle to observe: Whoever amongst the Muslims is asked to pay Zakat accordingly, he should pay it (to the Zakat collector) and whoever is asked more than that (what is specified in this script) he should not pay it; for twenty-four camels or less, sheep are to be paid as Zakat; for every five camels one sheep is to be paid, and if there are between twenty-five to thirty-five camels, one Bint Makhad is to be paid; and if they are between thirty-six to forty-five (camels), one Bint Labun is to be paid; and if they are between forty-six to sixty (camels), one Hiqqa is to be paid; and if the number is between sixty-one to seventy-five (camels), one Jadh'a is to be paid; and if the number is between seventy-six to ninety (camels), two Bint Labuns are to be paid; and if they are from ninety-one to one-hundred-and twenty (camels), two Hiqqas are to be paid; and if they are over one-hundred and-twenty (camels), for every forty (over one-hundred-and-twenty) one Bint Labun is to be paid, and for every fifty camels (over one-hundred-and-twenty) one Hiqqa is to be paid; and who ever has got only four camels, has to pay nothing as Zakat, but if the owner of these four camels wants to give something, he can. If the number of camels increases to five, the owner has to pay one sheep as Zakat. As regards the Zakat for the (flock) of sheep; if they are between forty and one-hundred-and-twenty sheep, one sheep is to be paid; and if they are between one-hundred-and-twenty to two hundred (sheep), two sheep are to be paid; and if they are between two-hundred to three-hundred (sheep), three sheep are to be paid; and for over three-hundred sheep, for every extra hundred sheep, one sheep is to be paid as Zakat. And if somebody has got less than forty sheep, no Zakat is required, but if he wants to give, he can. For silver the Zakat is one-fortieth of the lot (i.e. 2.5%), and if its value is less than two-hundred Dirhams, Zakat is not required, but if the owner wants to pay he can.'

Sahih Bukhari,Volume 2, Book 24, Number 534

Muhaba
02-15-2014, 06:03 PM

For any statement, there should be a hadith or Quranic verse as evidence. Is there a hadith that shows that one must reach the nisb amount and anything less than that has no Zakat on it? What is included in the nisb? Is it just that particular item or all wealth is taken into consideration? For example, if a person has 50 g gold and 300 g silver, (completing 50% of the nisb of each) does he have to pay zakat?

format_quote Originally Posted by Signor
As regards the Zakat for the (flock) of sheep; if they are between forty and one-hundred-and-twenty sheep, one sheep is to be paid; and if they are between one-hundred-and-twenty to two hundred (sheep), two sheep are to be paid; and if they are between two-hundred to three-hundred (sheep), three sheep are to be paid; and for over three-hundred sheep, for every extra hundred sheep, one sheep is to be paid as Zakat. And if somebody has got less than forty sheep, no Zakat is required, but if he wants to give, he can.
What is the evidence for this statement? A hadith reported in Abu Dawud states: في سائمة الغنم في كل أربعين شاة شاة

I think سائمة الغنم is the sheep that grazes in fields. In this type of sheep, for every 40 sheep, the owner has to give 1 sheep in zakat, which is 2.5% . And the hadith specifically states that in every 40 sheep, the zakat is 1 sheep so it can't be that zakat for 100 sheep will also be 1 sheep, unless another hadith proves it.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Scimitar
02-15-2014, 07:28 PM

It s a no brainer to me at any rate.

2.5% zakat is a very amicable standard to arrive at given the calculations.

I don't see a problem with it,

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!