/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslims from Western countries

Starrynight
07-02-2011, 05:39 PM
Hey, I just thought I'd create a thread for Muslims like myself from Western countries because sometimes I think we can face certain types of issues. For example, since it is harder to find Muslims in some of our communities for reverts it can feel rather lonely.
I thought it would be good if we have a thread where we can talk about issues we face based on our culture and show some support for one another.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Who Am I?
07-02-2011, 06:16 PM
Well for me, my big struggles are alcohol and women. You know as well as I do that our society is sex-crazed, and it's hard for me not to look at all the women I see every day that don't wear many clothes. Especially as a single new brother, this is a real struggle for me. I get lonely sometimes and I really have to fight temptations.

Here it is 4th of July weekend and I am trying not to drink. Lovely...

Starrynight
07-02-2011, 06:46 PM
Aw hang in there King Of Knight. I can't offer advice really on the women thing, especially since you've said before you're not ready for that. But as far as drinking, sparkling cider is yummy :)
Really though, alcohol never did anything good for anyone so you are so much better off without it.

GuestFellow
07-02-2011, 06:57 PM
Salaam,

The main potential problem I will be facing is praying on time. If I'm at work, I'm not sure if the employer would allow me to pray. This is something I'm worried about when I look for jobs.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Starrynight
07-02-2011, 07:21 PM
Hm... could you just use it as a bathroom break?

GuestFellow
07-02-2011, 07:24 PM
^ Salaam,

Yes but Friday prayers could be a problem for some employers.

Tyrion
07-02-2011, 07:35 PM
I think one of the many unique issues that Western Muslims face is prejudice from other Muslims who aren't from the west, and also the sad reality that many of our religious authorities are not familiar with the west, it's culture/laws, or the problems we face.

However, it's important to realize that as Muslims in the west we do have some benefits or even advantages. For one, because of our diversity we have a greater of chance of learning a form of Islam that is less burdened by a particular culture. Also, certain western values (one example could be that acceptance of diversity I mentioned, which might not be followed by some in the west, but is still alive in our culture/ways of thinking) help us in bettering ourselves because they mirror qualities that are already praised in the Quran and Sunnah. Other countries (even Muslim countries) have their own negative baggage that we are saved from... So yeah, there are two sides of the coin there. :p:

format_quote Originally Posted by Guestfellow
You could try and time your lunch break to coincide with prayer time on fridays. That's what my dad does.

format_quote Originally Posted by King of Nines
Here it is 4th of July weekend and I am trying not to drink. Lovely...
Buy a PS3 or an Xbox, then get Call of Duty: Black Ops. Should keep your mind off drinking... :p:

May Ayob
07-02-2011, 08:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by King of Nines
Well for me, my big struggles are alcohol and women. You know as well as I do that our society is sex-crazed, and it's hard for me not to look at all the women I see every day that don't wear many clothes. Especially as a single new brother, this is a real struggle for me. I get lonely sometimes and I really have to fight temptations. Here it is 4th of July weekend and I am trying not to drink
Salaam
Have you tried fasting? I know it's hard esp the fact that you live in such a society..How about getting married? I am sure there will be some one good tin you community .. Just try asking help from the Mosque you go to..
Keep your self in company as the Shaytan may trick you or have a more affect when you are alone..
I wish there's a better advice i can give But Hold on a little longer , be a bit more Patient Insha'Allah all your problems will leave and God will replace you with better things..

Salaam

Tyrion
07-02-2011, 08:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by May Ayob
I am not sure but I think we shouldn't be making seperations between Muslims whether you are a born one or a revert , I think we shouldn't be judging that this person is a born they probably have it easier and start comparing and things like that.. I think anyone regardless of their reilgious background whether they are born Muslims or not they will be facing hardships from every aspect.

I recognize how difficult it would be for all reverts as sometime they face rejection from their families and loved ones and sadly from their fellow Muslim brothers and sisters as well, It's a hard thing I think every one can agree to that but Insha'Allah with Patience and Perservere It would be a great outcome that will make us more grateful .
But nothing in this thread is about reverts and born Muslims... It's about Muslims who happen to be from the west. I'm not a revert, and I'm pretty sure (but not certain) that Guestfellow isn't either. We're just talking about western issues for Muslims who live there...

May Ayob
07-02-2011, 08:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tyrion
But nothing in this thread is about reverts and born Muslims... It's about Muslims who happen to be from the west. I'm not a revert, and I'm pretty sure (but not certain) that Guestfellow isn't either. We're just talking about western issues for Muslims who live there...

Oops Then My bad, It seems that I am a very stupid person, Please pardon me ..I think I have to edit my post.

Salaam

Who Am I?
07-02-2011, 08:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Starrynight
Aw hang in there King Of Knight. I can't offer advice really on the women thing, especially since you've said before you're not ready for that. But as far as drinking, sparkling cider is yummy Really though, alcohol never did anything good for anyone so you are so much better off without it.
I know, sis. I was just complaining about being surrounded by temptation. I have some issues that I would rather deal with before I get married, and everyone here knows about that. I won't keep repeating myself.

Buy a PS3 or an Xbox, then get Call of Duty: Black Ops. Should keep your mind off drinking...
Well I have an Xbox with PES2011, and Dungeon Siege 3 to occupy my time. I think I'll be OK.

You could try and time your lunch break to coincide with prayer time on fridays. That's what my dad does.
I do the same. Either go on lunch, go to prayers, and then back to work, or I work extra hours during the week and just leave early on Friday.

GuestFellow
07-02-2011, 09:41 PM

:sl:

Yes, I was born as a Muslim.

There are not many problems I face living in a western country but sometimes I fear that the government and the public may become more hostile towards Muslims. At the moment there have been tensions between Muslim and non-Muslim communities but I think they are based on ethnic and cultural differences rather than religion.

Salahudeen
07-02-2011, 10:34 PM

Yes, I was born as a Muslim.

There are not many problems I face living in a western country but sometimes I fear that the government and the public may become more hostile towards Muslims. At the moment there have been tensions between Muslim and non-Muslim communities but I think they are based on ethnic and cultural differences rather than religion.
I sometimes have nightmares of a what happened to the Jews living in Germany happening to the Muslims living in the west.

GuestFellow
07-02-2011, 10:40 PM
^ Salaam,

You must not disclose any bad dreams you have.

Dagless
07-02-2011, 10:50 PM
Hm... could you just use it as a bathroom break?
What if he then needs to use the bathroom ;)

^ Salaam,

Why do you need to tell them? Just go at lunch? Or you could pray at work with a small group of brothers.

GuestFellow
07-02-2011, 10:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dagless
Why do you need to tell them? Just go at lunch? Or you could pray at work with a small group of brother.
Salaam,

Okay. =)

إحسان
07-02-2011, 11:14 PM
My sister unfortunately faces a handful of sly ignorant comments from her team leader once in awhie. Pathetic really.

Starrynight
07-02-2011, 11:23 PM
Yeah, I only meant any Muslim (whether born or reverted) in Western countries. All of us in the Islamic world wide community face some of the same hardships, but certain hardships are different depending on where you live.

Starrynight
07-02-2011, 11:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by *dua
My sister unfortunately faces a handful of sly ignorant comments from her team leader once in awhie. Pathetic really.
That is really lame!

Who Am I?
07-03-2011, 04:22 AM
One of my friends is narrow-minded and ignorant of such things and I try to correct him whenever I can.

Starrynight
07-03-2011, 08:37 AM
Yeah, people can be very ignorant. I think I've lost 1 friend since reverting, maybe because he didn't understand. I mentioned it and he was like "I didn't know you're Muslim" and that's about the last I heard from him, lol. But it doesn't bother me really. I figure if anyone chooses not to be in my life that is fine. All I can do is try my best to show Islam in a positive light.

Salahudeen
07-03-2011, 12:22 PM
Yeah, people can be very ignorant. I think I've lost 1 friend since reverting, maybe because he didn't understand. I mentioned it and he was like "I didn't know you're Muslim" and that's about the last I heard from him, lol. But it doesn't bother me really. I figure if anyone chooses not to be in my life that is fine. All I can do is try my best to show Islam in a positive light.
The hate that some people have for Islam is incredible, they are willing to cut ties with life long friends or children just because of their hate for the religion.

Perseveranze
07-03-2011, 02:24 PM
Well, think two weeks ago I went friday prayers, and Alhamdulillah, the Mosque was full (their planning on doing an extension for more space), so a couple of people wanted to pray outside the mosque instead. But were told they can't because it's "illegal", even though the footpath is absolutly huge and there's plenty of space to walk about. Kinda just annoyed me.

Who Am I?
07-03-2011, 06:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Perseveranze
Well, think two weeks ago I went friday prayers, and Alhamdulillah, the Mosque was full (their planning on doing an extension for more space), so a couple of people wanted to pray outside the mosque instead. But were told they can't because it's "illegal", even though the footpath is absolutly huge and there's plenty of space to walk about. Kinda just annoyed me.
That sucks that they were denied the opportunity to pray because of that.

Good that the masjid was full though.

Galaxy
07-03-2011, 10:30 PM
:wa:

No problems, alhamdulillaah. I did have a rude friend who didn't like the concept of hijaab ("You guys [Muslimaat] are in a prision! You just don't know it, you can't swim or dance!") and slandered Islaam with the little knowledge she has.

If I leave her alone, then the Islaam bashing will come in, so I am kind of like her tamer whenever she tries to attack, haha. Alhamdulillaah it's summer break, a perfect time to break of ties with her as we are going to different schools next year.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!