PDA

View Full Version : Moral Movies



Starrynight
07-03-2011, 04:49 PM
I'm sure we all enjoy the typical action, romance or comedy movie. But I thought people could suggest here movies with good morals or movies that follow a little closer to the guidelines of Islam for when people are looking for suggestions.
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
IAmZamzam
07-03-2011, 10:13 PM
Talking about movies here gets you infractions from the mods, so expect this thread to be closed quite soon. Before they do, though--and before they can edit this post with their ridiculous excuse that "issues with the staff must be taken up in the appropriate forum" (translation: "disagreement with our own personal theologetical views = evil")--let me make just a few recommendations:

* "Koyaanisqatsi"
* "My Dinner with Andre"
* The Marx Bros.--almost any of them, but especially "A Night at the Opera"
* "The Wizard of Oz" (assuming *anyone* hasn't seen this one already!)

Give me all the infractions you want. Ban me if you like. I will never cease to stand up for intellectual freedom, do you hear me?
Reply

Starrynight
07-03-2011, 11:07 PM
Oh, I didn't realize we weren't supposed to talk about movies. Thank you for the suggestions :)
I only thought it would be nice if me and anyone else who was interested I had a resource where we could see movies others have suggested that are good and that we don't have to feel like I am sacrificing my Muslim morals to watch.
Reply

Woodrow
07-03-2011, 11:42 PM
Originally Posted by Yahya Sulaiman
Talking about movies here gets you infractions from the mods, so expect this thread to be closed quite soon. Before they do, though--and before they can edit this post with their ridiculous excuse that "issues with the staff must be taken up in the appropriate forum" (translation: "disagreement with our own personal theologetical views = evil")--let me make just a few recommendations:

* "Koyaanisqatsi"
* "My Dinner with Andre"
* The Marx Bros.--almost any of them, but especially "A Night at the Opera"
* "The Wizard of Oz" (assuming *anyone* hasn't seen this one already!)

Give me all the infractions you want. Ban me if you like. I will never cease to stand up for intellectual freedom, do you hear me?
Actually I was thinking more of something like changing your avatar to a dancing pink butterfly ban didn't come to mind.

Discussing the value of a movie can be done without us jumping in and deleting the thread. In fact a critique of movies could be beneficial here. The only things I ask everybody to do is be cautious of posting any links that may contain inappropriate material or be a copyright infringement. Do not put up any torrent links for pirating movies and do not give an opinion about any movies you have not personally seen.
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
Tyrion
07-04-2011, 01:08 AM
Most Disney movies come with a good message... It's hard to go wrong with those. :p:

Originally Posted by Yahya Sulaiman
Talking about movies here gets you infractions from the mods, so expect this thread to be closed quite soon. Before they do, though--and before they can edit this post with their ridiculous excuse that "issues with the staff must be taken up in the appropriate forum" (translation: "disagreement with our own personal theologetical views = evil")--let me make just a few recommendations:
+1

Originally Posted by Woodrow
Discussing the value of a movie can be done without us jumping in and deleting the thread.
Ehh, maybe it depends on the mod... But I've had a thread deleted before because I merely mentioned a movie. All I asked was if people preferred the Lord of the Rings books or the movies, and I'm pretty sure it was gone within a few hours... That's not even the only things mods/members here get bent out of shape over, but I won't go there today. :p: I will however just say that I think Yahya has it spot on when it comes to this...
Reply

IAmZamzam
07-04-2011, 01:31 AM
Originally Posted by Woodrow
Actually I was thinking more of something like changing your avatar to a dancing pink butterfly ban didn't come to mind.

Discussing the value of a movie can be done without us jumping in and deleting the thread. In fact a critique of movies could be beneficial here. The only things I ask everybody to do is be cautious of posting any links that may contain inappropriate material or be a copyright infringement. Do not put up any torrent links for pirating movies and do not give an opinion about any movies you have not personally seen.
Unfortunately, brother, you are neither one of the mods who do those horrible things nor the one with the final say. I do not blame you and I'm sorry if I was too lazily glib in just saying "mods". I don't mean to shoot the messenger. (Oh, and uh, just make my avatar anything you like. ;) I don't particularly care.)

At least three times or so I've tried to start a thread critiquing movies. Every time without exception it has been removed within a day or two at the most, like it never existed, the final time getting me an infraction. An infraction, by the way, preceded by no warnings as far as I ever saw.

But it does happen. For instance when I posted a recommendation and a link to Thomas Edison's original "Frankenstein" film I explained to the mod who punished me that the film is in the public domain and he said he didn't even care. And I of course had seen the film before too. I highly doubt anything in an Edison short could be deemed "inappropriate" either, but then again this is the same board where a jocular thread about what we would do in the event of a zombie apocalypse was locked after a lecture from a mod about the theological impossibilities involved in the subject. Man oh man does this board need either a change in management or a change in attitude and level of tolerance toward anyone who doesn't agree with all the mods about everything!
Reply

Junon
07-04-2011, 01:41 AM
Salaam

Originally Posted by Yahya Sulaiman

Give me all the infractions you want. Ban me if you like. I will never cease to stand up for intellectual freedom, do you hear me?
Man, get of your high horse and relax, seriously :hmm:

On a movie recommendation that could be considered halal to watch why not try this

Grave of the Fireflies



It is an adaptation of the semi-autobiographical novel of the same name by Akiyuki Nosaka, intended as a personal apology to the author's own sister.

PLOT

Taking place toward the end of World War II in Japan, Grave of the Fireflies is the tale of the relationship between two orphaned children, pre-teen Seita (清太) and his young sister Setsuko (節子). The movie begins in Sannomiya Station and portrays Seita, in rags and dying of starvation. A janitor comes and digs through his possessions, and finds a candy tin containing ashes and bones. He throws it out, and from it springs the spirit of Setsuko, Seita, and a cloud of fireflies. The spirit of Seita continues to narrate their story, which is, in effect, an extended flashback to Japan near the end of World War II, during the Kobe firebombings.

RECEPTION

Roger Ebert considers it to be one of the most powerful anti-war movies ever made. Animation historian Ernest Rister compares the film to Steven Spielberg's Schindler's List and says, "it is the most profoundly human animated film I've ever seen." Many people say the movie is so depressing that they contemplated suicide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grave_of_the_Fireflies
Reply

Tyrion
07-04-2011, 01:44 AM
Originally Posted by Yahya Sulaiman
but then again this is the same board where a jocular thread about what we would do in the event of a zombie apocalypse was locked after a lecture from a mod about the theological impossibilities involved in the subject.
Lol, I even went far enough to issue a complaint to the mods about that one. That thread had so much potential... :p:
Reply

Starrynight
07-04-2011, 02:22 AM
Oo I've seen Grave of the Fireflies. Too sad for me, but several of my friends liked that one :)
Reply

Maryan0
07-04-2011, 03:36 AM
Originally Posted by Yahya Sulaiman
Talking about movies here gets you infractions from the mods,
I had no idea that talking about movies wasn't allowed. No wonder that thread about the movie Avatar disappeared. I was wondering where it went.
Salam
Reply

Riana17
07-04-2011, 05:51 AM
salam to all

Sister movies is like our daily life, my husband likes Movies alot, seeing that I wish someone can make a movie of what is ISLAM all about. It used to be in my mind, why cant someone make a movie about the teaching of ISLAM? MAybe there is but I am not aware? pls share

Okay about a good movie, here's one about a Muslim & Jew sisters titled "Arranged"



Grave of Fireflies or mostly Ghibli (this word is based on Arabic word sirroco or wind coming from Qibla) movies are so fun to watch, too much lesson. Japan are best known for good movies

I also used to be addicted with Korean romantic Movies but I guess im getting old now and almost done with it lol, so I wish to watch documentaries about Science in Quran and Morals of Islam and so on,,, inshallah someone can give good suggestions, I wanted to enjoy movies at the same time learn something bcoz movies nowadays really are just becoming history, stories are being repeated, nothing new.

salam
Reply

Ramadhan
07-04-2011, 06:50 AM
Originally Posted by Riana17
Sister movies is like our daily life, my husband likes Movies alot, seeing that I wish someone can make a movie of what is ISLAM all about. It used to be in my mind, why cant someone make a movie about the teaching of ISLAM? MAybe there is but I am not aware? pls share
I was thinking about the same. Todays generation are much more in tune with audio visual than with reading books, I would have liked to see movies based on the stories of prophets (as) and shahaba (ra). Unfortunately, I really cannot find any. There should be a way to make movies that conform fiqh.
You see these days young people are more familiar with Brad Pitt and Agelina Djolie than with Aisyah (ra) and Umar bin Khattab (ra).
Reply

IAmZamzam
07-04-2011, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by Maryan0
I had no idea that talking about movies wasn't allowed. No wonder that thread about the movie Avatar disappeared. I was wondering where it went.
Salam
All the better in that case, in a way. Even now, two years later, nobody can so much as breathe the word "Avatar" on the net without a world-flooding torrent of trolling about the movie and endlessly repeated "Dances with Aliens" jokes engulfing all of spacetime.
Reply

IAmZamzam
07-04-2011, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by Ramadhan

I was thinking about the same. Todays generation are much more in tune with audio visual than with reading books, I would have liked to see movies based on the stories of prophets (as) and shahaba (ra). Unfortunately, I really cannot find any. There should be a way to make movies that conform fiqh.
You see these days young people are more familiar with Brad Pitt and Agelina Djolie than with Aisyah (ra) and Umar bin Khattab (ra).
I believe there was a film about the Prophet (P) called "The Messenger" or something. (Not to be confused with the film of the same title about Joan of Arc.)
Reply

Ramadhan
07-04-2011, 09:47 AM
Originally Posted by Yahya Sulaiman
believe there was a film about the Prophet (P) called "The Messenger" or something. (Not to be confused with the film of the same title about Joan of Arc.)
yes, I've watched the messenger, but not much else has been made. I'm sure there may be some that I don't know though.
Reply

May Ayob
07-04-2011, 09:48 AM
Salaam
Do you want my opinion?
Movies All of them to me are nothing but a waste of time, At first they get all exciting and amusing to watch later they loose all the magic they had
So, I advice you books or Documentaries(My Favourite)

Open up National Geographic or Aljazeera Documentary, Eat come popcorn and Have fun :)
Salaam
Reply

Riana17
07-04-2011, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by Ramadhan

I was thinking about the same. Todays generation are much more in tune with audio visual than with reading books, I would have liked to see movies based on the stories of prophets (as) and shahaba (ra). Unfortunately, I really cannot find any. There should be a way to make movies that conform fiqh.
You see these days young people are more familiar with Brad Pitt and Agelina Djolie than with Aisyah (ra) and Umar bin Khattab (ra).

Salam
Yes, with too many influential Muslims why cant someone make such movie, actually it is the best dawah, when this kind of movie is available in the market worldwide, surely Islam will be multiplied in too short period of time.

oh this is big dream, i hope someone will initiate

I hope there is a movie that can covers, the main teachings of ISLAM, what is happening inside the home of a true Muslim family, what is intention, what is the benefits of praying 5times daily, the science in Quran,, how do we treat animals, who is Allah and so on, wow I do pray really that there will be such a movie
Reply

Who Am I?
07-04-2011, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by Riana17
Salam
Yes, with too many influential Muslims why cant someone make such movie, actually it is the best dawah, when this kind of movie is available in the market worldwide, surely Islam will be multiplied in too short period of time.

oh this is big dream, i hope someone will initiate

I hope there is a movie that can covers, the main teachings of ISLAM, what is happening inside the home of a true Muslim family, what is intention, what is the benefits of praying 5times daily, the science in Quran,, how do we treat animals, who is Allah and so on, wow I do pray really that there will be such a movie
I would definitely watch that.
Reply

Starrynight
07-04-2011, 03:54 PM
National Geographic can be fun, but I want something I can relax and enjoy. My school covers some pretty intense topics, and sometimes I just need to turn my brain off for a while.

So I did watch a movie yesterday called "Moozlum". It is sad. It is about this young man who has lost his faith in Islam because of a terrible experience he has had. I wouldn't necessarily suggest it for non-muslims in case they got confused, but for Muslims it can bring up some important issues in our society today. The thing I liked most about it was the mother showed just how strong and un-oppressed Muslim women are!
*note* but a warning. Since this takes place in a college there is some drinking and boyfriend girlfriend interaction (no more than a kiss). But if you can overlook that, maybe give it a shot.
Reply

piXie
07-04-2011, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by Starrynight
National Geographic can be fun, but I want something I can relax and enjoy.
visiting the forums can be relaxing [sometimes. :D ]
Reply

IAmZamzam
07-04-2011, 04:04 PM
Every human being alive must see "Koyaanisqatsi". Period.
Reply

May Ayob
07-04-2011, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by Starrynight
So I did watch a movie yesterday called "Moozlum". It is sad. It is about this young man who has lost his faith in Islam because of a terrible experience he has had. I wouldn't necessarily suggest it for non-muslims in case they got confused, but for Muslims it can bring up some important issues in our society today. The thing I liked most about it was the mother showed just how strong and un-oppressed Muslim women are! *note* but a warning. Since this takes place in a college there is some drinking and boyfriend girlfriend interaction (no more than a kiss). But if you can overlook that, maybe give it a shot.

Salaam
I don't think this would be good movie to watch for both side Muslims and non-Muslims at least for me.
It doesn't sound safe.
I mean how is watching a movie about a brother who has faith problems ever going to make me feel in any way positive? I don;t understand.
I personally don't like these types of movies as they seem to be not centered on Islam but rather centered on a the "Muslim" and how "Difficult" it is to be a practicing one.
It seems more of a westernized /Secularized version of "Islamic" movies ..I would not be not interested in watching it.

Salaam
Reply

Mr.President
07-04-2011, 04:10 PM
"Friendship has no religion"

--

"there is some drinking and boyfriend girlfriend interaction (no more than a kiss). But if you can overlook that"


hmmm......
Reply

Dagless
07-04-2011, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by Yahya Sulaiman
a jocular thread about what we would do in the event of a zombie apocalypse was locked after a lecture from a mod about the theological impossibilities involved in the subject.
I wondered what happened to that!! For the record I thought it was a pretty cool thread too.

Originally Posted by Ramadhan
You see these days young people are more familiar with Brad Pitt and Agelina Djolie
She's not Nigerian :ooh:

Originally Posted by Yahya Sulaiman
I believe there was a film about the Prophet (P) called "The Messenger" or something. (Not to be confused with the film of the same title about Joan of Arc.)
'Muhammad: The Last Prophet' is another one. It's an animated film and you don't actually get to see the prophet (pbuh) so it's ok to watch. I can't remember if it's that good though.
Reply

Ramadhan
07-04-2011, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by Yahya Sulaiman
Every human being alive must see "Koyaanisqatsi". Period.
I watched koyaanisqatsi years ago.
storywise, there is no story, it's just series of panoramic images with emotionally drenching music, the movie is just technically influential, to the point I was thinking oh this scene looks like a madonna video clip, until I realized the madonna clip was made 15 years after the movie.

So no, "every human being alive does not need to see it".

Every human being alive needs to read the Qur'an back to back few times.
Reply

Perseveranze
07-04-2011, 05:13 PM
I havn't really watched any in a while...

There was a japanese one that I watched, about some Girl, at the age of 12 I think, falls down and hits her head and due to it, suffers a desease that slowly disables her body parts one by one until she is completly paralyzed, unable to even eat. It's quite sad, because at the age of 12 she had all these ambitions and dreams, which all comes to a stand still. But the story goes that she continues to try and live her life "the best she can" and doesn't just "give up", despite knowing what her fate is. She dies at the age of 25.

It's based on a real life incident/story, in fact the girls journel is quite famous in the world. I just can't remember the name of the film or the desease.
Reply

Starrynight
07-04-2011, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by May Ayob
Salaam
I don't think this would be good movie to watch for both side Muslims and non-Muslims at least for me.
It doesn't sound safe.
I mean how is watching a movie about a brother who has faith problems ever going to make me feel in any way positive? I don;t understand.
I personally don't like these types of movies as they seem to be not centered on Islam but rather centered on a the "Muslim" and how "Difficult" it is to be a practicing one.
It seems more of a westernized /Secularized version of "Islamic" movies ..I would not be not interested in watching it.

Salaam
Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't want to give away the ending. * SPOILER ALERT* In the end, he finds his faith again. I think it is good because it shows that just because someone has a bad experience with 1 Muslim doesn't mean that is what the faith is about. That is what he realizes. So it is good I think for Muslims, especially young ones, who are falling out of their faith or rebelling against it because they see this character who they grow to really care about and how he found his faith again. But if it is not your cup of tea, no worries. You don't need to watch it :)
Reply

IAmZamzam
07-04-2011, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by Ramadhan
I watched koyaanisqatsi years ago. storywise, there is no story, it's just series of panoramic images with emotionally drenching music, the movie is just technically influential, to the point I was thinking oh this scene looks like a madonna video clip, until I realized the madonna clip was made 15 years after the movie.

So no, "every human being alive does not need to see it".
Folks, let The DVD Journal offer you an alternate viewpoint. Please read.
Reply

SFatima
07-04-2011, 08:05 PM
watch " children of heaven" i loved it, but its a very simple story of a poor muslim family. Watch the english dubbed version.

Movies made in iran are also very powerful and no -nonsense, as long as they are not pushing their agenda hehe, i forgot the name of this another one i really liked, uffff it was sooooo cuuute, it was about a really old lonely poor lady who was expecting a phone call from her son abroad and she had never seen a phone in her life, it looked so real lol, how she managed to...ahh cant spoil it.

There is another the concept of which was similar to the message of ISlam, but its reallyyyyy old and may have been watched. " Its a wonderful life" something like it, I don't remember if there are any skipping scenes in it, but i always skip soo i don't get to know whats skipped , also our movie shop already kept censored movies so we kids never figured out anything wrong, about what other kids would be like "huhhhh, you have watched that movie???? huhhhhhhhhhh, did you see it all??? and we'd be dumb confused saying yes :p

Apart from that i don't watch much movies either, i watch documentaries or recipes, if i have the time. : P
Reply

Who Am I?
07-05-2011, 12:19 AM
Originally Posted by Yahya Sulaiman
Every human being alive must see "Koyaanisqatsi". Period.
I can't even pronounce that word and you want me to see that movie? :D
Reply

IAmZamzam
07-05-2011, 01:07 AM
It's not as hard as it looks. :P

Koh-yahn-iss-KAHT-see.

Think of it it as though it were spelled co-yonnis-kotsee, if that helps.
Reply

Ramadhan
07-05-2011, 01:36 AM
Originally Posted by Yahya Sulaiman
Folks, let The DVD Journal offer you an alternate viewpoint. Please read.
For people who consider themselves as "intellectual" and into fluffy philosophy, Koyaanisqatsi might be very important, but for average people, it's just a series of panoramic images and music, albeit beautiful and haunting. One has a lot more to gain by going out into the nature and see and experience the nature by themselves than by watching the film.
Reply

IAmZamzam
07-05-2011, 01:59 AM
Well, of course one does, but one cannot always be outside all the time and what's wrong with watching the beauty and hauntingness of God's creation indoors as well?
Reply

Who Am I?
07-05-2011, 03:19 AM
Originally Posted by Yahya Sulaiman
It's not as hard as it looks. :P

Koh-yahn-iss-KAHT-see.

Think of it it as though it were spelled co-yonnis-kotsee, if that helps.
Sounds native American, or maybe Asian Indian.
Reply

Tyrion
07-05-2011, 04:23 AM
Err, I've got an honest question... So as we all know, the vast majority of people on this forum consider music (with musical instruments anyway) to be outright forbidden... But I see a lot of those people talking about watching movies or tv shows that include those things... My question is what makes that okay for you? That's one of the things I never understood about the prohibition in the first place, since it'd be kind of hard to avoid it... I'd rather not spark another debate or argument about the issue of music, but if some of you could answer the question I'd really appreciate it.
Reply

Zafran
07-05-2011, 05:00 AM
salaam

Arranged is good - watch it.

peace
Reply

Ramadhan
07-05-2011, 05:05 AM
Originally Posted by Tyrion
Err, I've got an honest question... So as we all know, the vast majority of people on this forum consider music (with musical instruments anyway) to be outright forbidden... But I see a lot of those people talking about watching movies or tv shows that include those things... My question is what makes that okay for you? That's one of the things I never understood about the prohibition in the first place, since it'd be kind of hard to avoid it... I'd rather not spark another debate or argument about the issue of music, but if some of you could answer the question I'd really appreciate it.
I actually can't see many (or even any) of those who consider music as forbidden talk about/promote movies that have music in them. In fact, all I see is only people who from the beginning already believe music is ok as talking about/promoting the movies. In fact, maybe half of the posts in this thread are made by Yahya.
Reply

Tyrion
07-05-2011, 05:24 AM
Originally Posted by Ramadhan
I actually can't see many (or even any) of those who consider music as forbidden talk about/promote movies that have music in them. In fact, all I see is only people who from the beginning already believe music is ok as talking about/promoting the movies. In fact, maybe half of the posts in this thread are made by Yahya.
Well, I've seen at least one person in this thread who's previously said they thought music was forbidden... But I was talking more in general, as I've seen it in other threads as well. It does seem like people are more lax with their opinions regarding music when it comes in the form of a show or a movie. Do you never watch any videos/shows/movies that feature some music?

And no, I don't think half the posts here are by Yahya... Although maybe you could say that if you count all the posts where you've quoted him in order to unnecessarily try and pick a fight. ;)
Reply

Ramadhan
07-05-2011, 05:56 AM
Originally Posted by Tyrion
Well, I've seen at least one person in this thread who's previously said they thought music was forbidden...
First off, "one person" is not "many" as you previously stated. Second, does this mean you are alluding everyone who is in this thread agree that movies with music is good/allowed? I didn't know that a participation in this thread qualify you as promoting movies with music?

Originally Posted by Tyrion
Do you never watch any videos/shows/movies that feature some music?
I have an ipod that contained more than 12,000 songs, seriously. But when I went back to Islam, I deleted every single one of them. I don't play song/music on purpose. I also don't have/turn on radio. But there are things that I have not yet been able to get rid of, for example television. And I am trying to be very selective of what I watch on TV, and of course there's always music on TV regardless of the program, but this does not mean I approve of the use. There are also other things I cannot avoid: for example, when I go to the gym to exercise, there's always dance music blasting from the speakers, but I bring my own earphone and watch TV instead normally sports or news.
In fact, my colleagues always make fun of me because I never know whos the latest singers/music/etc

I hope you are not trying to justify a fiqh from the actions of muslims? or because: oh well we cannot avoid music these days so it must be halal?
I hope I am wrong, but it is what I am getting by your previous post.

Originally Posted by Tyrion
And no, I don't think half the posts here are by Yahya... Although maybe you could say that if you count all the posts where you've quoted him in order to unnecessarily try and pick a fight. ;)
I am not sure where you get the idea I was trying to pick a fight with yahya. My interaction with yahya in this thread is only when I provided my opinion of a movie I watched long time ago, a movie he suggested people to see, and so did he. and that was it. And I think it has been civil discussion. I even did not respond to yahya's last point about the movie.
Not sure where you get the idea that is ok to accuse your brother in Islam without any basis or that you were trying to pit one brother against another? Unless you think it's also allowed in Islam?
Reply

Tyrion
07-05-2011, 06:05 AM
Originally Posted by Ramadhan
First off, "one person" is not "many" as you previously stated. Second, does this mean you are alluding everyone who is in this thread agree that movies with music is good/allowed? I didn't know that a participation in this thread qualify you as promoting movies with music?
Wow, way to quote one line and ignore everything else in that paragraph. I said I was being general, and not merely talking about this thread.

Originally Posted by Ramadhan
I have an ipod that contained more than 12,000 songs, seriously. But when I went back to Islam, I deleted every single one of them. I don't play song/music on purpose. I also don't have/turn on radio. But there are things that I have not yet been able to get rid of, for example television. And I am trying to be very selective of what I watch on TV, and of course there's always music on TV regardless of the program, but this does not mean I approve of the use.

I hope you are not trying to justify a fiqh from the actions of muslims? or because: oh well we cannot avoid music these days so it must be halal?
I hope I am wrong, but it is what I am getting by your previous post.
My question was how people like you, who view music as haram, would justify watching things with music in them. Also, I'm not sure where you're getting the 'trying to justify a fiqh from the actions of muslims' from.

Originally Posted by Ramadhan
I am not sure where you get the idea I was trying to pick a fight with yahya. My interaction with yahya in this thread is only when I provided my opinion of a movie I watched long time ago, a movie he suggested people to see, and so did he. and that was it. And I think it has been civil discussion. I even did not respond to yahya's last point about the movie.
Not sure where you get the idea that is ok to accuse your brother in Islam without any basis or that you were trying to pit one brother against another?
There wasn't an accusation... More like an observation.


EDIT: *confetti* Wooo, my 600th post. :p:
Reply

Ramadhan
07-05-2011, 06:12 AM
Originally Posted by Tyrion
Wow, way to quote one line and ignore everything else in that paragraph. I said I was being general, and not merely talking about this thread.
Then you should have made it clear in your original post and subsequent one. You are posting in a thread about moral movies and suddenly you went off tangent.

Based on my "observation" you seem to be on the "there's differences of opinion in music" crusade agenda, because I see you keep popping them up.

Originally Posted by Tyrion
My question was how people like you, who view music as haram, would justify watching things with music in them. If you're not one of those people who watches things with music with them, then I'm not sure why you're answering my question... Also, I'm not sure where you're getting the 'trying to justify a fiqh from the actions of muslims' from.
Where did I justify watching things with music in them?
And I answered you because you popped a question to me in your previous post reply.

Originally Posted by Tyrion
There wasn't an accusation... More like an observation.
Your observation has failed you.
Reply

Riana17
07-05-2011, 06:21 AM
Originally Posted by SFatima
watch " children of heaven" i loved it, but its a very simple story of a poor muslim family. Watch the english dubbed version.

Movies made in iran are also very powerful and no -nonsense, as long as they are not pushing their agenda hehe, i forgot the name of this another one i really liked, uffff it was sooooo cuuute, it was about a really old lonely poor lady who was expecting a phone call from her son abroad and she had never seen a phone in her life, it looked so real lol, how she managed to...ahh cant spoil it.

There is another the concept of which was similar to the message of ISlam, but its reallyyyyy old and may have been watched. " Its a wonderful life" something like it, I don't remember if there are any skipping scenes in it, but i always skip soo i don't get to know whats skipped , also our movie shop already kept censored movies so we kids never figured out anything wrong, about what other kids would be like "huhhhh, you have watched that movie???? huhhhhhhhhhh, did you see it all??? and we'd be dumb confused saying yes :p

Apart from that i don't watch much movies either, i watch documentaries or recipes, if i have the time. : P
Salam

Oh sis I am so excited to watch this movie "children of heaven" i see its very well reviewed, Masha Allah
I will watch it tomorrow INSHALLAH
Reply

SFatima
07-05-2011, 08:06 AM
Originally Posted by Tyrion
Err, I've got an honest question... So as we all know, the vast majority of people on this forum consider music (with musical instruments anyway) to be outright forbidden... But I see a lot of those people talking about watching movies or tv shows that include those things... My question is what makes that okay for you? That's one of the things I never understood about the prohibition in the first place, since it'd be kind of hard to avoid it... I'd rather not spark another debate or argument about the issue of music, but if some of you could answer the question I'd really appreciate it.
because those movies don't have music in them and are more like documentaries, no drama? find it strange?

And also if anyone has skipped the title of the thread, it is moral movies, those which could be watched by Islamic standards, looks like you haven't watched any and probably are un-aware that they exist? with a powerful good message being given.
Reply

Tyrion
07-05-2011, 08:11 AM
Originally Posted by SFatima
because those movies don't have music in them and are more like documentaries, no drama? find it strange?
For the most part, documentaries have music too... And I looked through a bit of that movie you mentioned on youtube, and it also has some music in it. My point is, most movies and videos have some sort of music in them. If you're going to watch them, then you'll have to deal with that, and I was just curious as to how people would justify all this to themselves.
Reply

Flame of Hope
07-05-2011, 08:39 AM
:sl:

Originally Posted by member X
visiting the forums can be relaxing [sometimes. :D ]
Hey, great suggestion. :)
Reply

SFatima
07-05-2011, 08:59 AM
Originally Posted by Tyrion

For the most part, documentaries have music too... And I looked through a bit of that movie you mentioned on youtube, and it also has some music in it. My point is, most movies and videos have some sort of music in them. If you're going to watch them, then you'll have to deal with that, and I was just curious as to how people would justify all this to themselves.
err i don't see anyone justifying? Just to help save you from the burning curiosity, I had watched the movie a long time ago and I did not remember that it had any music, good for you that you specifically loaded it up to see if it had music, why don't you do something, since you seem to be really music specific, just watch all the movies and tell us if they have music and should not be watched 'cause i seriously don't have the time to : )

And thanks for you concern but people who don't like listening to music anymore, also don't like watching pointless fiction so much which just goes way over the top of their heads.
Reply

Tyrion
07-05-2011, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by SFatima
err i don't see anyone justifying? Just to help save you from the burning curiosity, I had watched the movie a long time ago and I did not remember that it had any music, good for you that you specifically loaded it up to see if it had music, why don't you do something, since you seem to be really music specific, just watch all the movies and tell us if they have music and should not be watched 'cause i seriously don't have the time to : )

And thanks for you concern but people who don't like listening to music anymore, also don't like watching pointless fiction so much which just goes way over the top of their heads.
You don't seem to really understand what I'm asking or why... So perhaps it's best if we dropped the issue now and let the thread continue. Also, you've responded to me a few times since you joined recently, and each time you have been condescending, dismissive, and rude. You might want to work on that.
Reply

SFatima
07-05-2011, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by Tyrion

You don't seem to really understand what I'm asking or why... So perhaps it's best if we dropped the issue now and let the thread continue. Also, you've responded to me a few times since you joined recently, and each time you have been condescending, dismissive, and rude. You might want to work on that.
I have responded to only one post of yours which was regarding music, and I'm sorry if it seems to you that just because some people hold a different point of view, they are insulting you, God forbid. Allah knows that is never my intention, but yeah this post of yours that i just replied to also seemed, rude condescending and and dash dash to me , but i totally know and understand that and I'm all chill,:shade: please don't be mad :) i don't take a difference of opinion as being condescending towards anyone, I would readily apolojize if you've taken it that way.

And yes it was just not obvious from your post if you were trying to ask a reason for why you were saying what you were saying, you can clarify it whenever you wish .

peace.
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!