/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Explaining the Hijab to a child

Asiyah3
07-05-2011, 04:19 PM
:sl:

Few 3 to 6 year-old kids asked me why I wear a headscarf inside (some of them wear a headscarf outside). I replied for religious reasons. So they asked what is a religious reason. I asked them if they believe in God. They replied yes. I told them it's part of my faith.

I have a feeling they will ask me the same question tomorrow. How should I explain the wearing of hijab to children?

To me wearing the hijab is an act of worship. We can worship God in several different ways, in speech, deeds and among other things in the manner we dress.

These kids' family are non-Muslim, I guess.

EDIT: This all happened in work.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
May Ayob
07-05-2011, 06:48 PM
Salaam Sister

Okay,that is a very good question , you know you should thank them for asking about this because they seem to be very smart kids. :)
To the point, Now to say if you believe in God then you have to wear the Hijab , this would not be a satisfying answer and God doesn't command us to do things for no reason , He s.w.t said that He has made a reason for everything.

I don't know if my answer will be satisfying as well, and I am saying this because what I will say in the following would probably be typically what I would have said in such a situation also It may be wrong or right .. It's up to you to decide and I am hoping more sisters and brothers would also help you in satisfying these kids answers.

Note before: Never give them the impression that they are kids and they don't matter. Give them a respectable answer that has effort just as you would give it to any adult, so that they can take you seriously and they are more likely to remember this when they grow up, so please keep that in mind.

Into the question: Why do we wear Hijab?

First of all tell them that the Hijab is not obligated except for females who hit the puberty age , it is not Islamic to make a little girl wear Hijab.
The Hijab was designed to protect the women from the evils of men and to protect her from being looked as a merely nothing but a sexual object.
The Hijab was also designed to nourish the character of the women and to make her respect and value her self and not let her become a slave to men and their desires each man who throws in two or three nice words can get a one night stand with a woman who does not value her self and makes her self an easy prey for worthless men.
You can also give example of how women are being used and enslaved today - they are treated like trash , burnt and thrown and have absolutely no value in some societies and even after that some people expect the woman to show off her body to give men pleasure they don't deserve.
It gives the female independence especially that women today face a lot of pressure from the media because they have to look like this or that model in Magazine and if she fails to satisfy the media standards of beauty she wouldn't be getting any respect, but when she wears the Hijab and pronounces her independence then she doesn't have to worry about anything in that matter. People will look at her character and personality rather than valuing her according to her appearance.

This is what I have for now

I hope you receive more and more replies ,If I think of something better Insha'Allah I will be adding more
May Allah s.w.t Help you

Salaam

Starrynight
07-05-2011, 07:53 PM
What kind of place of work is it if you don't mind me asking? (School, office, etc.)

May Ayob
07-05-2011, 08:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Starrynight
What kind of place of work is it if you don't mind me asking? (School, office, etc.)

Salaam Starrynight :)

I think and God knows best , that she is teacher..I 'think' I read that in another thread before..Allahu Allam

Salaam

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Asiyah3
07-05-2011, 09:36 PM
It's kindergarten. I am a summer worker there.

Asiyah3
07-05-2011, 09:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by May Ayob
Salaam Sister

Okay,that is a very good question , you know you should thank them for asking about this because they seem to be very smart kids. :)
True. :) They are absolutely adorable masha'Allah.

To the point, Now to say if you believe in God then you have to wear the Hijab , this would not be a satisfying answer and God doesn't command us to do things for no reason , He s.w.t said that He has made a reason for everything.
I understand, but that wasn't what I intended to say. I tried to explain the meaning of religion or religious reason, not why I wear the hijab, by mentioning belief in God.

Into the question: Why do we wear Hijab?

First of all tell them that the Hijab is not obligated except for females who hit the puberty age , it is not Islamic to make a little girl wear Hijab.
I think they won't understand what puberty is and calling it obligated in puberty may give them the wrong kinda impression. Sadly, there is the misconception that Muslim women are forced to wear it. This is actually part of the reason I replied I wear it for religious reasons and mentioned God. I wanted to give them the understanding that it is our own choice and we choose to do it for the sake of Allah.

I want to give them a simple answer which they understand. Not something which will get them confused.

The Hijab was designed to protect the women from the evils of men and to protect her from being looked as a merely nothing but a sexual object.
The Hijab was also designed to nourish the character of the women and to make her respect and value her self and not let her become a slave to men and their desires each man who throws in two or three nice words can get a one night stand with a woman who does not value her self and makes her self an easy prey for worthless men.
You can also give example of how women are being used and enslaved today - they are treated like trash , burnt and thrown and have absolutely no value in some societies and even after that some people expect the woman to show off her body to give men pleasure they don't deserve.
It gives the female independence especially that women today face a lot of pressure from the media because they have to look like this or that model in Magazine and if she fails to satisfy the media standards of beauty she wouldn't be getting any respect, but when she wears the Hijab and pronounces her independence then she doesn't have to worry about anything in that matter. People will look at her character and personality rather than valuing her according to her appearance.
Jazakiallahu khair, but this is too complicated for small children to understand.

Dagless
07-05-2011, 10:07 PM
You could just say it's about being respectful. Liken it to when they dress up for church or to visit their grandparents or whatever it is kids dress up for these days.

format_quote Originally Posted by May Ayob
Don't forget to add the tortures of hell and that Santa Claus doesn't exist ;)

Just_A_Girl13
07-06-2011, 12:35 AM
Salaam sister,

Brother Dagless's advice is very good, and simple enough for a small child to understand. You might also try telling them that Mary is your role model, although if their families aren't very religious they might not understand this. Also try telling them how wearing the hijab makes you feel-- safe, protected, beautiful, closer to Allah (s.w.t.). I can't imagine a very small child believing that you have been forced into the decision.

Peace be with you :)

Starrynight
07-06-2011, 01:41 AM
Hello,

I just wanted to share something I have heard. When you work in a school, especially a public school, you have to be very careful about discussing your own personal religion with children. Since you work with young children it could be more problematic. This is because there are some parents out there who have a lot of hate in their hearts and could cause problems for you. Inshallah you will not have to experience this.
I think JustAGirl had a good idea. Say that it makes you feel safe and protected. Mention that it is part of your religion, but avoid going into detail (not that kids that young would understand if you did).

I don't want to give you the impression that you should hide being Muslim or imply that we should be ashamed of it. I have just heard many stories of parents making issues about Islam because a teacher wore a headscarf, let alone explaining it to children. I don't want you to have to experience this kind of thing.

Just_A_Girl13
07-06-2011, 01:56 AM
I just wanted to share something I have heard. When you work in a school, especially a public school, you have to be very careful about discussing your own personal religion with children. Since you work with young children it could be more problematic. This is because there are some parents out there who have a lot of hate in their hearts and could cause problems for you. Inshallah you will not have to experience this. I think JustAGirl had a good idea. Say that it makes you feel safe and protected. Mention that it is part of your religion, but avoid going into detail (not that kids that young would understand if you did). I don't want to give you the impression that you should hide being Muslim or imply that we should be ashamed of it. I have just heard many stories of parents making issues about Islam because a teacher wore a headscarf, let alone explaining it to children. I don't want you to have to experience this kind of thing.
Salaam sister Starrynight,

Masha'Allah, very good advice :) I should have mentioned this. I agree completely. And sister Asiyah, I'll keep you in my duaas.

May Ayob
07-06-2011, 06:01 AM
Salaam

I am kind of shy and embarrsed but Oh Well no porblem
I think what sisters Starrynight and Just a girl was great!
You know you should definately go by their advice , I would have taken it as well'
Those little adorable children don't need to get their minds polluted with what I said

Salaam

Salahudeen
07-06-2011, 08:51 AM
Yeah if you work in a non muslim school with non muslim kids and you convince them of the benefits of wearing hijaab etc from a Muslim view point they may repeat it at home to their parents and then their parents may think you're brain washing their kids to be islamist extremists or something and march up to the school and speak with the head master lol. It happens.

Asiyah3
07-06-2011, 03:38 PM
From tomorrow, insha'Allah, I'll be returning to the original group I was at. So won't be with these kids anymore, al-hamdulillah.

Jazakumullahu khair for your replies. SubhaanAllah, you guys always help me when I need it. :) Barakallahu feekum.

Asiyah3
07-06-2011, 04:04 PM
****edit****

Starrynight
07-10-2011, 06:21 PM
^Really? What is wrong with the other kindergartens? What about public school kindergartens?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!