/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Manned Cloud - The Floating Hotel.

Endymion
07-08-2011, 04:31 PM
Travelling around the world ON A FLOATING HOTEL might be possible by 2020.

French designer, Jean-Marie Massaud, has been working in conjunction with the French National Office of Airship Research on the project since 2005.
The airship is a floating hotel called the Manned Cloud.

It will cruise at a speed of 80 mph (130 km/h) and 18,000ft above sea level. It could circle the earth in about ten days.

It will travel for 3,100 miles (almost 5,000 km) before needing to be refueled.

It is an ecologically friendly way to travel, leaving little impact on the environment without the need for hotels, according to the promoters. It could land for a few days or for a week if there is a big event going on.

The Manned Cloud is almost 700ft long, 270ft wide and 170ft deep. It has a restaurant, a library, a lounge and a gym on the first deck. On the second level there will be 20 passenger rooms, terraces with panoramic windows, a spa and a bar room.

The airship is powered by a giant rear propeller and also has two further engines pointing downwards for vertical take-off.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Who Am I?
07-08-2011, 05:30 PM
Salaam.

I still want to go to the moon one day.

SFatima
07-08-2011, 05:36 PM
hmm yawnn.

it looks pretty unaffordable too :/ the manned cloud, Id rather go to jannah and order up everything I want for free : )

GuestFellow
07-08-2011, 06:53 PM
Salaam,

It looks like a floating whale.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Dagless
07-08-2011, 06:55 PM
It looks spectacular, but then again it may crash spectacularly too...

Also, the 10 days around the world estimate is out by a few days if it cruises at 80mph.

IAmZamzam
07-08-2011, 07:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SFatima
Id rather go to jannah and order up everything I want for free : )
Good point.

I don't see why a hotel should have to be aerial. It increases the mortal risk while decreasing...well, the presence of any conceivable point.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
07-08-2011, 07:28 PM
Asssalaamu Alaaykum

Reading 'Manned' cloud ,what came to mind was a cloud made out of a man or a man on a cloud.. would have never thought of a spaceship/plane given a name such as 'Manned Cloud', geeky name!

Then when I opened up it looked like a spaceship and then I read up and then I was even more confuzzled.

Glad to be back on Li!

Endymion
07-09-2011, 11:46 AM
Hotel in Helicopter = Hotelicopter.

We at Flightglobal aren't entirely convinced by the flying hotel called the Hotelicopter.

The aircraft is modelled on the Mil V-12 (Russian heavy-lift helicopter) and the Hotelicopter Company supposedly bought one of the prototypes from the Mikhail Leontyevich Mil helicopter plant in Panki-Tomilino, Russia in 2004 and have been engineering the world's first flying hotel ever since.

In addition to extending the helicopter's body to accommodate an extra floor, four GEnx turbofan engines ave been added, each featuring a thrust range of 75,000lbs, and energy-efficient aerodynamic modifications that cut fuel consumption over 22% on long hauls.
Once stepping inside the Hotelicopter, you're welcomed into a "plush" welcome lounge then shown you to your own cabin where you'll enjoy your "private entertainment system, full bathroom and shower, and a queen-sized bed with Egyptian cotton sheets.

If it's pampering you're after, and why wouldn't you in a flying helicopter? - you can have a deep tissue massage, a manicure and pedicure, or have your hair done, top up your tan or take a soak in the jacuzzi or indulge in our dry sauna.

Hmmm, I thought transporting water wasn't the most efficient way to travel, so I smell a rat.

David Kaminski Morrow, online news editor, says: "Looks like an elaborate prank to me (PS - April Fool's Day this week). The Mil V-12 (Russian heavy-lift helicopter) existed, but I think there were only two of them because it never went into production. Plus I doubt anyone managed to put something like this together under people's noses without something being said."

"Incidentally, I think the building behind the front-page picture is a weather monitoring station."

SFatima
07-09-2011, 11:58 AM
If only such huge amounts of efforts and resources would be utilized for the up liftment of the poor African countries and poor people of the world, who crave for a morsel of food everyday.

Who says the world does not have resources? And it is god who is Nauzubillah evil*, it is people who utilize their resources only for the heaps of wealth and luxury they want for themselves in this world, and they will have none of it in the here after.

( sorry not trying to spoil this thread, but it really burns me when Humanitarian organizations keep mum about extra luxurious expenses of the rich and have nothing significant to contribute to eradicate poverty in world, despite having all the resources. Whats the point of all this luxury when there's a large group of people who have no basic food or health facilities, it is cruel and arrogant to indulge in all these vain leisures.)

GuestFellow
07-09-2011, 01:19 PM
Salaam,

^ I smell Starwars. :/

ardianto
07-09-2011, 01:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Endymion

Look like a 21st century Zeppelin. But what gas that they fill to Manned Cloud ?. I hope they do not forget the Hindenburg disaster.

Woodrow
07-09-2011, 05:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
Look like a 21st century Zeppelin. But what gas that they fill to Manned Cloud ?. I hope they do not forget the Hindenburg disaster.
Reading the article it mentions the downward propeller will be used to aid lift off. Si does not sound like they are going for a true lighter than air craft. In which case it would make a mixture of Helium and a lower cost inert gas, economically feasible and safe from explosion.

From the design of the wings, it seems like they will be using they for lift, but not much lift will be rquired. I believe it is going to be a perhaps 75% lighter than air, but not a true lighter than air device.

Dagless
07-09-2011, 09:08 PM

Even though it's fake you can imagine some people with lots of money building one of these... just to show how much money they have (and can waste on fuel).

Who Am I?
07-10-2011, 02:25 AM
It's fake, but it looks cool.

Endymion
07-10-2011, 05:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dagless
Even though it's fake
format_quote Originally Posted by King of Nines
It's fake, but it looks cool.
My bad :( They made me an April fool in July :(
Here it is.
Hotelicopter is an April Fools' Day video prank that went viral in 2009 showing a craft based on the Soviet made Mil Mi-12 military helicopter, leading millions to believe the world's first luxury hotel/helicopter was a reality. The video and website explained the first commercial flight of Hotelicopter was scheduled to take off on 26 June 2009 from JFK Airport in New York City, and reach the UK later that August. In 2010 the Christian Science Monitor named the Hotelicopter as one of its top five online April Fools' pranks. The Times also included the prank in its "10 best travel April fools", rating it as 10/10.
Source:Wiki

Who Am I?
07-10-2011, 07:38 AM
My bad :( They made me an April fool in July :(
Here it is.
:sl:

Don't feel bad. I thought it was real too for a while.

But it's still cool.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!