/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How many rakats are in each prayer?

IB-Staff
07-12-2011, 10:00 PM
How many Rak'aat are there in each prayer?

Prayer name Sunnah
(before praying Fardh)
Fardh Sunnah/Wajib
(after Fardh)
Fajr 2 (Sunnah mu'akkadah) 2
Dhuhr 4 (Sunnah mu'akkadah) 4 2 (Sunnah mu'akkadah) + 2
'Asr 4 4
Maghrib 0 3 2 (Sunnah mu'akkadah)
'Isha 4 4 2 (Sunnah mu'akkadah) + 3 (Wajib, Witr)
Jumu'ah 4 2 4 + 2

What is fard, waajib, sunnah and nafl and what is the difference between them?

Fard
means compulsory beyond any argument. Anyone who denies a fard is a kaafir. And one who leaves a fard without excuse is a faasiq and is sinful.

Waajib comes second to fard. One who denies waajib is not a kaafir but if he leaves it without excuse, he is faasiq and is sinful.

Sunnah is an act which the Prophet :saws: did and his Companions followed and commanded. Sunnah mu'akkadah is a highly emphasized Sunnah and should not be missed habitually without a valid excuse.

Nafl is an act commanded by Sharee’ah. It brings reward if done but no punishment if not done. It is also called mustahab, mandoob or tatawwu’.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Jalal~
07-13-2011, 01:06 AM
:sl:
This is what i was taught when i was growing up:
Fajr: 2 sunnah, 2 fard, 2 nafl
Dhur: 4 sunnah, 4 fard, 2 sunnah, 2 nafl
Asr: 4 fard, 4 nafl
Magrib: 3 fard, 2 sunnah, 2 nafl
Isha: 4 nafil, 4 fard, 2 sunnah, witr

Can someone please check me on this and if possible give some ahadiths/quranic evidence? Jazakallah Khair

Afifa
07-13-2011, 10:04 PM
Fajr is 2 sunnat and 2 fardh and easha is 4 sunnat 4 fardh 2 sunnat 2 nafl 3 witr waajib and 2 nafl

Hamza Asadullah
07-14-2011, 02:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by halalmeat4free

Can someone please check me on this and if possible give some ahadiths/quranic evidence? Jazakallah Khair
Asalaamu Alaikum,

Sunnah Mu'khadda = Emphasised Sunnah so we should pray these
Ghayr Mu'khadda = Have a choice whether to pray or not
Nafil = Voluntary prayers so again we have a choice whether to pray them or not.
Fard= Obligatory to pray without fail.

The correct order for the prayers is the following:

Fajr: 2 Sunnah Mu'khadda, 2 Fard

Dhuhr: 4 Sunnah Mu'khadda, 4 Fard, 2 Sunnah Mu'kkadda, 2 Nafil

Asr: 4 Sunnah Ghayr Mu'khadda, 4 Fard

Maghrib: 3 Fard, 2 Sunnah Mu'khadda, 2 Nafil

Isha: 4 Sunnah Ghayr Mu'khadda, 4 fard, 2 Sunah, 2 Nafil, 3 Witr, 2 Nafil

Here is a free download which will tell you everything you need to know about prayer:

Entire Salaah book

http://www.islamicbulletin.com/free_...alaah_Book.pdf

Here is another very beneficial book which will help you to build on your basics of Islam and it covers a lot and is a brillaint and easy read:

Islam Beliefs and Teachings

http://www.islamicbulletin.com/free_...m_children.pdf

If you need any help with anything else at all then please do not hesitate to ask.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Jalal~
07-16-2011, 08:53 PM
question: what happens if we do more, for example, i used to do extra 2 nafil for fajr. do i still get rewarded or is that considered bidah?

Dagless
07-16-2011, 09:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by halalmeat4free
question: what happens if we do more, for example, i used to do extra 2 nafil for fajr. do i still get rewarded or is that considered bidah?
It will just be praying 2 nafl (which is great), but it won't be "for fajr".

dqsunday
05-05-2012, 03:04 AM
ok this confused me totally. Isn't the term Rakaat the number of (for lack of a better term) sets per prayer? Thus:

Fajr has 2 rakaat, recited aloud
Dhuhr has 4 rakaat, recited silently
Asr has 4 rakaat, recited silent
Maghrib has 3 rakaat, 2 recited aloud, last silent
Isha has 4 rakaat, 2 recited aloud, 2 silently.

And, as far as I know, the above is necessary.

Perhaps is more due to the fact I don't know all the various Arabic terms used extensively here as yet, but a few I am picking up as I go. Either way what I posted is what I do for my prayers.

marwen
05-05-2012, 06:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by dqsunday
ok this confused me totally. Isn't the term Rakaat the number of (for lack of a better term) sets per prayer? Thus:

Fajr has 2 rakaat, recited aloud
Dhuhr has 4 rakaat, recited silently
Asr has 4 rakaat, recited silent
Maghrib has 3 rakaat, 2 recited aloud, last silent
Isha has 4 rakaat, 2 recited aloud, 2 silently.

And, as far as I know, the above is necessary.

Perhaps is more due to the fact I don't know all the various Arabic terms used extensively here as yet, but a few I am picking up as I go. Either way what I posted is what I do for my prayers.
That's fard (mandatory) prayer. And yes, for muslims who are learning, they should just memorize the number of fard prayer first, and then learn about sunnah muakada and nafl, otherwise they will be confused and mix between the salah.

dqsunday
05-05-2012, 06:11 PM
Thank you Brother Marwen, this does ease my mind. At least I am doing the manditory prayers. I am sure once I learn more I will want to do extra rakats and prayers. So much to learn...must remember my baby steps..else I will end up feeling overwhelmed again.

Jalal~
05-07-2012, 10:30 PM
So even if we are praying alone, we have to recite the prayers out loud where specified?

Hamza Asadullah
05-07-2012, 10:39 PM
Thank you Brother Marwen, this does ease my mind. At least I am doing the manditory prayers. I am sure once I learn more I will want to do extra rakats and prayers. So much to learn...must remember my baby steps..else I will end up feeling overwhelmed again.

Yes sister do not overwhelm yourself, just master the fard prayers and the witr after Isha and once you have mastered them then slowly incorporate the emphasised Sunnah's and then Nawafil (voluntary) prayers. Ramadan is coming soon and that is the perfect time to do many Sunnah and nawafil prayers. If yuo need anymore help then please do not hesitate to ask.

Hamza Asadullah
05-07-2012, 10:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jalal~
So even if we are praying alone, we have to recite the prayers out loud where specified?

As a man you can recite aloud as much as you can hear yourself in the 2 rakat fard of Fajr, and first 2 rakats of Maghrib and Isha, if you wish to as it is a Sunnah but if you want to recite silently then that is also fine. Women must not pray aloud at anytime.

And Allah knows best in all matters

Muslim Woman
05-07-2012, 11:53 PM
:wa:

after Fard rakat of Fajr & Asr , don't offer any Sunnah or Nafal . I have to look for the hadith ; that's what I know since childhood.

Hamza Asadullah
05-08-2012, 12:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Woman
:wa:

after Fard rakat of Fajr & Asr , don't offer any Sunnah or Nafal . I have to look for the hadith ; that's what I know since childhood.

Nawafil prayers are not to be offered after Asr until just after sunset and after Fajr until 15-20 minutes after sunrise. Also not during zawwal (midday) which is 15-20 minutes before Dhuhr starts.

dqsunday
05-08-2012, 01:30 AM
Any particular reason why women can't say rakats out loud? Is this just when in congregation or also applicable when alone?

Hamza Asadullah
05-08-2012, 06:22 PM
Any particular reason why women can't say rakats out loud? Is this just when in congregation or also applicable when alone?

It is because a womans voice is awrah and so she should not recite loudly when there is fear of non mahram men listening to her voice. But if there are only women and mahrams present and no fear of a non mahram man listening to her voice then she may recite loudly when men recite loudly as in the first two rakah's of Fajr and first two rakah's of Maghrib and Isha. The same goes for saying Ameen out loud etc.

Person1001
05-08-2012, 06:57 PM
Wow thats much more than what i was taught to pray

dqsunday
05-08-2012, 07:33 PM
Thank you Brother for explaining why a woman should not recite aloud. Fortunately the majority of the time I pray I am alone in the house or just my parents are in ear shot. Though I don't recite that loud for them to hear. I am always fairly soft spoken in general, and I really don't like shouting. I did suspect a woman's voice may be too...enticing when singing/reciting, odd though that men can recite loudly when women are around who are not their sisters, wives or daughters...(or are they?) Some men do have fantastic voices when reciting the Qur'an.

mrashidhai
05-09-2012, 10:23 AM
Prayers (Salat) are primarily of two types; (i) obligatory- Fardh and (ii) voluntary(extra)-nafil.

Obligatory or compulsory - Fardh prayers are those which are to be offered at any cost what so ever and in any condition except when one looses its conscious. These obligatory prayers constitute 17 rakaat in number as follows:

Fajr: 2 rakaat
Dhur: 4 rakaat
Asr: 4 rakaat
Maghrib: 3 rakaat
Isha: 4 rakaat
Total: 17 rakaat

Voluntary (extra) - nafil prayers are those which are not obligatory but are offered by some one at his free will, to please Allah.
These voluntary - nafil prayers are categorized into 3 types by Islamic scholars while emphasizing their importance;

a) Sunnah prayers, further classified into; i) Mu'akadda and ii) Ghair Mu'akadda
b) Nafil prayers, and
c) Wajib prayers.

Sunnah Mu’akadda prayers are those non-obligatory prayers for which the Prophet sws was very particular and he sws emphasized his followers to offer them. But one shouls remain mindful that to offer sunnah Mu’kadda prayers is highly rewarding but one is not accountable if he does not offer these prayers. These prayers are as follows:

Fajr: 2 rakaat ( before 2 Fard)
Dhur: 4 rakaat (before 4 Fard) + 2 rakaat (after Fard)
Asr: No rakaat
Maghrib: 2 rakaat (after 3 Fard)
Isha: 2 rakaat (after 4 Fard)
Total: 12 rakaat

Sunnah Ghair Mu’akadda prayers are those non-obligatory prayers which the Prophet sws was neither particular nor emphasized to offer them. These prayers may be as follows:

Fajr: None
Dhur: None
Asr: 4 rakaat (before 4 Fard)
Maghrib: 2 rakaat (before 3 Fard)
Isha: 4 rakaat (before 4 Fard)

Nafil prayers are purely voluntary but Islamic scholars, for reasons best known to them, have prescribed them as follows:

Fajr: None
Dhur: 2 rakaat after 2 sunnah Mu’akadda
Asr: None
Maghrib: 2 rakaat after 2 sunnah Mu’akadda
Isha: 2 rakaat after 2 sunnah Mu’akadda

Wajib prayer is also obligatory, but to a lesser degree. Witr prayer, after Isha, is considered Wajib by certain schools of thought, while some consider it as Sunnah Mu’akadda. Though its omission is strongly reprehensible, it does not specifically incur punishment.

There are no specific numbers of Witr rakaat. Odd numbers of rakaat (commonly 3) are offered as Witr prayers. The Prophet sws generally used to offer 10 or 13 rakaat as Witr. He sws also said to make Witr prayer as the last prayer of the day.

matoo
07-11-2015, 05:57 PM
Asalam o alakum
first of all
you can not say any nafl when Asr Fard are done before that you may say any number of nafi you want but as soon you are done with Asr Fard you can perform nafl till you perform your Magrib Fard.
2nd matter saying it loud i read in Sahhi Bukhari Sharif even for man dont go to loud and dont go to soft it should be just high enough that you can hear your words yes just you can hear what you are speaking not any other person in the room.
as far speaking high that is for the Immam in Jammat only.
Jammat and be of 2 person and on wards.
if women are to join in Jammat then they should stand at a gap of one person behind ie man standing in 1st row then women will not stand in 2nd but they will stand in 3rd row.
but mahrim can stand togather in home but in mosque men and women have separate places.

jawediqbal
11-29-2016, 09:50 AM
Fajr: 4 = > 2 sunnah + 2 Fard
Dhuhr: 12 = > 4 Sunnah + 4 Fard +2 sunnah + 2 Nafl
Asr: 8 = > 4 Sunnah + 4 Fard
Maghrib: 7 = > 3 Fard + 2 Sunnah + 2 Nafl
Esha: 17= >4 Sunnah + 4 Fard +2 sunnah + 2 Nafl + 3 Witr + 2 Nafl

Muhammad
05-28-2017, 03:40 PM
Question: What is the excellence of optional Prayers?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.
1. The mother of the faithfull Umm Habibah Ramilah bint Abu Sufyan Radhiallahu ‘anhu narrated that she heard the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم saying: “A house will be built in paradise for every Muslim who offers twelve Rak’ah of optional salah other than the obligatory salah in day and night, to seek pleasure of Allah.” Narrated by Muslim.

Note : these extra 12 rakaats of optional prayers, according to Imam Nasaai and Tirmithi are : 2 rakaats before the obligatory prayer of Early morning (fajr), and 4 rakaats before (Duhr) and 2 rakaats after it ,and 2 rakaats after the obligatory of early evening prayer (magrib) and 2 rakaats after the obligatory prayer of night (isha) prayer.

2. Abu Huraira Radhiallahu ‘anhu said : “My Khalil (friend) (the Prophet Shalallahu ‘alaihi wa Salam) advised me to observe three things and I shall not leave them till I die: 1. “To observe Saum (fasting) three days every (lunar) month; 2.” To offer the Duha prayer; 3. To offer Witr prayer before sleeping.” Narrated by Bukhari and Muslim.

3. Aisha radhiyallahu ‘anha narrated that the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم said : “The two rakaats before dawn (fajr) prayer are better than the world and all that it contains.” Narrated by Muslim.

4. Aisha radhiyallahu ‘anha narrated that the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم was never more regular and strict in offering any Nawafil than the two rakaats (sunnah before) dawn (fajr) prayer. Narrated by Al-Bukhari and Muslim.

5. Umm Habiba radhiyallahu ‘anha narrated that the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم said : “Whoever, observes the practice of offering four rak’ahs before Duhr prayer and four rak’ahs after it. Allah will shield him against the fire of hell.” Narrated bay Abu Daud and At-Tirmithi.

6. One should make Witr as the last salah (prayer) (at night).

Abdullah bin Umar Radhiallahu ‘anhu narrated thet the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم said : “Make Witr as your last salah (prayer) at night.” Narrated by Al-Bukhari and Muslim.

7. If anyone enters a mosque, he should offer two raka’ah before sitting.

Abu Qatada Radhiallahu ‘anhu narrated that the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم said : “If any one of you enters a mosque, he should pray two raka’ats before sitting.” Narrated by Al-Bukhari and Muslim.

8. Abu Huraira Radhiallahu ‘anhu narrated that Allah’s Messenger صلى الله عليه وسلم said to Bilal Radhiallahu ‘anhu “Tell me about the most hopeful act (i.e one which you deem the most rewarding with Allah) you have done since your acceptance of Islam because I heard the sound of the steps of your shoes in front of me in paradise.” Bilal said : “I do not consider any act more hopeful than that whenever I make ablution (wudoo) at any time of night or day, I offer salah (prayer) for as long as was destined for me to offer.” Narrated by Al-Bukhari and Muslim.

https://islamqa.info/en/12844

emem.masorong
03-15-2018, 10:26 AM
Thank you very much.

Aay1K0
06-02-2018, 07:16 AM
As far as I know, There are also 2-Nafil in Maghrib and 4-Nafil in Esha (i.e. 2-Nafil before Witr and 2-Nafil after Witr).

and ALLAH knows best in all matters.

azc
02-13-2019, 09:27 AM
Witr is the tahajjud salah. It's not the part of isha salah however, it can be prayed just after performing isha salah as most of us do.

MazharShafiq
02-13-2019, 10:14 AM
The correct order for the prayers is the following:

Fajr: 2 Sunnah Mu'khadda, 2 Fard

Dhuhr: 4 Sunnah Mu'khadda, 4 Fard, 2 Sunnah Mu'kkadda, 2 Nafil

Asr: 4 Sunnah Ghayr Mu'khadda, 4 Fard

Maghrib: 3 Fard, 2 Sunnah Mu'khadda, 2 Nafil

Isha: 4 Sunnah Ghayr Mu'khadda, 4 fard, 2 Sunah, 2 Nafil, 3 Witr, 2 Nafil

studentofislam2
09-14-2023, 12:37 AM
As salam aliykoum ,

There are many optional prayers , I will list them below.

Two before Fajar (Better than the world and everything in it according to the prophet peace be upon him).

Salat al Duhu (Forenoon prayer ) After Sunrise before Zuhur noon prayer and it is two, four, six , eight , or tweleve cycles or Rakakhs

Four before Zuhur or noon and Four after (The prophet peace be upon him said , "whoever prays four before Zuhur and four after, Allah will make him forbidden upon the fire). You can also pray Two before and Two after.

Four before Asr and Two after (The prophet peace be upon him said "God have mercy on a man who prays four before Asr).

Two before Magrib early evening prayer and two after. Six after Magribe(Prayer of the repentant or awwabin) including the two cyc;es after Magrib. You can also pray twenty after Magrib or evening prayer (The prophet peace be upon him said "Whoever prays twenty after MAgrib Allah will build him a house in Paradise).

Two to four before Isha evening prayer and two to four after . Three Witr prayer of Qayam al layal.

Please pray what you can of these as you can and don't overwhelm yourself. The prophet adviced Abo Hururar (The father of Kitten) to pray two cycles of Duhu forenoon prayer , fast three days a month (the 13th, 14th, 15th) and pray Witr before going to sleep. The best deeds are those which you do on a continuedly basis. Even if you if you pray two cycles before Fajar and Witr prayer and fast one day a week on a daily basis is better than doing too much than quitting. May Allah give you success. Also in Fiqh, your obligation take precedence over your optional acts of worship, so if you have a job or family obligations or kids. It is ok, to just pray the five daily prayers only. Taking care of kids, of a wife , and maintaining them and taking of yourself are all forms of worship. Please be balanced and take care of yourself, don't exhausted yourself, do what you can do. You will enter paradise by Allah's Mercy and blessings untimely.

Peace and blessings,
Izzat Youssif,
https://youtube.com/@sunnahactsofwor...7Xwb6P2j9vQlUr

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!