/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Question about Making up Promises

Jalal~
07-25-2011, 05:11 PM
:sl:
Before summer began, i promised my friend that i would do a certain halal task over the summer. I really didnt want to do it, and i only made the promise so that he would stop bothering me. But recently, i read how bad it is to break promises and how important it is to fulfill promises that have been made. Now as we all know, summer is almost over; therefore, if i start working on my promise now, i will only complete about half of it, since half of summer is gone. Is it permissible for me to continue working on the promise even after summer is over in order to fulfill the vow that i have made? Or do i have to ask for his forgiveness? Jazakallah Khair.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Hamza Asadullah
07-26-2011, 11:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by halalmeat4free
:sl:
Before summer began, i promised my friend that i would do a certain halal task over the summer. I really didnt want to do it, and i only made the promise so that he would stop bothering me. But recently, i read how bad it is to break promises and how important it is to fulfill promises that have been made. Now as we all know, summer is almost over; therefore, if i start working on my promise now, i will only complete about half of it, since half of summer is gone. Is it permissible for me to continue working on the promise even after summer is over in order to fulfill the vow that i have made? Or do i have to ask for his forgiveness? Jazakallah Khair.
Asalaamu Alaikum, jazakallahu khayr for the question. As Muslims we must always honour our promises.

In Riyad as-Salihin (The Meadows of the Righteous) Imam Nawawi writes:

Allah says, "Fulfil your contracts. Contracts will be asked about," (17:34)

and the Almighty says, "Be true to Allah's contract when you have agreed to it." (16:91)

The Almighty says, "O you who believe! Fulfil your contracts," (5:1)

and the Almighty says, "O you who believe! Why do you say what you do not do? It is deeply abhorrent to Allah that you say what you do not do." (61:2-3)

689. Abu Hurayra reported that the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "There are three signs of a hypocrite: whenever he speaks, he lies; whenever he makes a promise, he breaks it; and whenever he is trusted, he betrays his trust." [Agreed upon]

It is added in a variant of Muslim, "Even if he fasts and prays and claims that he is a Muslim."

690. 'Abdullah ibn 'Amr ibn al-'As reported that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "If anyone has four characteristics, he is a pure hypocrite, and if anyone has one of them, he has an aspect of hypocrisy until he gives it up: whenever he is trusted, he betrays his trust; whenever he speaks, he lies; whenever he makes an agreement, he breaks it; and whenever he quarrels, he deviates from the truth speaks falsely." [Agreed upon]

691. Jabir ibn 'Abdullah said, "The Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, 'If the money from Bahrayn comes, I will give you such-and-such.' The money from Bahrayn did not come until after the Prophet had died. When the money of Bahrayn arrived, Abu Bakr commanded that it be announced, 'Whoever has a promise from the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, or a debt should come to us.' I came to him and said, 'The Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, told me such-and-such.' He gave me a double handful and I counted them and there were five hundred. He said, 'Take twice as much again.'" [Agreed upon]

Therefore we must honour all oaths and promises. Even more so if we made a promise to Allah. So next time before we make any promises we should always think whether we can honour them or not. If there are unforeseen circumstances then we should try and explain to the person the situation and it maybe that they will understand.

And Allah knows best in all matters

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!