/* */

PDA

View Full Version : BBC2's Version: Muhammad(pbuh)'s LAST SERMON to Mankind.

Perseveranze
07-26-2011, 03:23 PM
For anyone that didn't know, the BBC did a documentary (not a good one) on the Prophet Muhammad(pbuh). This is the Last sermon -

Maybe it's the only decent thing they did...

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ğħαrєєвαħ
07-26-2011, 05:46 PM
As'Salaamu Alaaykum

I managed to watch a part of the documentary yesterday but not sure exactly what part it was, assuming part 1 maybe. I saw Dr David Wood in the documentary and was kind of suprised, since I am aware he debates with muslims, but has been refuted many times. And it seemed that he was also against what he said on the doc, I sensed some sarcasm but I may be wrong.

Perseveranze
07-26-2011, 07:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jεώel oғ ωïѕdoм
As'Salaamu Alaaykum

I managed to watch a part of the documentary yesterday but not sure exactly what part it was, assuming part 1 maybe. I saw Dr David Wood in the documentary and was kind of suprised, since I am aware he debates with muslims, but has been refuted many times. And it seemed that he was also against what he said on the doc, I sensed some sarcasm but I may be wrong.
That was part 3, the documentary as a whole was a joke.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
07-26-2011, 08:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Perseveranze
That was part 3, the documentary as a whole was a joke.
Ah okay...

May I ask what it is that you disagreed with?

And also what do you think when they spoke about the niqaab? I disagree with the women saying its not part of the faith in any way.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
GuestFellow
07-26-2011, 09:13 PM
Salaam,

These documentaries are too simplistic. Sure they provide a nice introduction, but do not explore the scriptures in detail. You might as well read a book on Islam.

aamirsaab
07-26-2011, 09:42 PM
My only gripe with this documentary is several topics they just didn't give sufficient coverage. You can't fully cover sharia law in 5 minutes. You can't fully cover polygamous marriages in 5 minutes. You can't fully cover shia sunni conflict in 5 minutes.

Those topics are huge (I have a freakin' text book on one of them!) They require expertise in the field; they do not require Robert Spencer's biased analysis!

I understand the documentary was focusing primarily on the Prophet and his life rather than solely on Islam as religion and it's teachings, but it did highlight those subjects and imo didn't give them enough coverage.

Still, if non-muslims were enlightened/benefited by it, I guess it's all good.

p.s: Shout outs to Ajmal Masroor!

Perseveranze
07-26-2011, 10:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jεώel oғ ωïѕdoм
Ah okay...

May I ask what it is that you disagreed with?

And also what do you think when they spoke about the niqaab? I disagree with the women saying its not part of the faith in any way.
It was sad, apologetics for Aisha'(ra)'s age and Shariah punishment. These are "apologetics who are making an excuse about Islam", and they call themselves Muslims, that's how sad it was. As if were embarassed or something.

Then you got these people who aren't "Academics", instead their well known bigots who have been critisised in the past before regarding their own credibility, such as Robert Spencer.

Next you got every single woman talking about Islam, without an Hijab, telling us that's how it's suppose to be done.

On top of that, they wouldn't properly explain things, as to let more people be mislead. Hardly even interviewed any knowledgeable Sheikh's.

It was a joke.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
07-27-2011, 05:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Perseveranze
It was sad, apologetics for Aisha'(ra)'s age and Shariah punishment. These are "apologetics who are making an excuse about Islam", and they call themselves Muslims, that's how sad it was. As if were embarassed or something.

Then you got these people who aren't "Academics", instead their well known bigots who have been critisised in the past before regarding their own credibility, such as Robert Spencer.

Next you got every single woman talking about Islam, without an Hijab, telling us that's how it's suppose to be done.

On top of that, they wouldn't properly explain things, as to let more people be mislead. Hardly even interviewed any knowledgeable Sheikh's.

It was a joke.
As'Salaamu Alaaykum

Also something else which was rather inappropriate was how one of the women (not sure of her name) referred to the clothing of women as 'black bags', the fact is muslim whether male or female are required to wear loose clothing from my understanding, so the term can be applied to those who wear maybe other colours.
And sure Allaah SWT doesn't look at how we look but at our actions/deeds, but intentions are part of the package. So the way we present ourselves to others is in an appropriate way, doesn't harm nobody and we are individually accountable for own actions. Even the way we dress as long its according to sunnah it is part of Islaam, as long as the intention is purely for Allaahs' sake alone.

Subhaan'Allaah if I have said anything wrong please correct me.

aadil77
07-27-2011, 07:19 PM
The first 15 minutes were pointless. The rest was just a load of rubbish which focused on everything except the life of the prophet, only the last 2 mins were any good. Too much irrelevant crap.

Reflections
07-27-2011, 08:14 PM
If you didn't watch it..you didn't miss out on much...was a waste of time for me really.

Zafran
07-27-2011, 11:30 PM
Salaam

I saw the first episode on I player - then thats it

How is Robert spencer an expert on Islam??? thats like making Goebbels an expert on Jews.

peace

Insaanah
07-28-2011, 08:19 PM
:sl:

It is strange how when other religions/points of view present programmes, they say and show what they'd like to get across. But why do Muslims feel the need to bend over backwards to try to appease everyone?

For those who don't know, it goes like this: you present a series of programmes on the life of the Prophet Muhammad :saws:, but then you invite other people against Islam to talk too and to cast doubt into what you've just said, and then you don't refute their allegations properly, and thus your main message gets lost in a jumbled mess. Considering you're trying to educate non-Muslims about the life of the Prophet :saws:, it's a disaster. Such has been this series. And considering it's written/produced/directed/presented by Muslims (some of whom are of the view that Islam needs re-thinking and modernising), that makes it worse, as they should know better.

Some of the people invited to speak against what's being presented include an ex-Muslim who thinks that Islam is evil. You have three non-hijabi Muslim women telling you how they know best what hijaab is and how they are doing it right. One refers to her sisters as wearing black bin bags. In episode 2, the imagery shown again, and again, and again, while the seige of Banu Qurayzah is being talked about, is an ancient Arab-looking picture of war, that depicts headless corpses in one place, the heads somewhere else, heads flying around, blood pouring out of bodies... later that imagery is shown yet again. You know what's going to stick in a non-Muslims mind out of everything in that episode? Those images. A supposed bloody massacre by the Muslims. Psychologically that was very clever, I thought.

Then you have Aisha's (ra) marriage to the Prophet :saws: being talked about - not one person mentioned that if it was that repulsive, why did his enemies not bring it up to discredit him? In actuality they did not bat an eyelid because she was known for her maturity and such marriages were not at all unusual. And that gets forgotten. In the last episode it's said at one point that in the final khutbah Rasoolullah :saws: said that "no Muslim is better than a non-Muslim". I don't recall that being a part of the last sermon.

The series may get non-Muslims talking about the Prophet :saws:, but you need to present what Islam says, state the common misconceptions and then refute them well so the message gets across clearly. Apart from a few nice moments spread across the episodes, and a couple of good non-Muslim speakers, very mediocre at best, and overall very disappointing.

:sl:

Salahudeen
07-29-2011, 02:40 AM
There was alot of hype about this programme text messages going around etc, I think people thought it would be pro Islam but that wasn't the case.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!