/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Helpful Ramadan tips...

جوري
07-27-2011, 04:00 AM
pls. feel free to share your pearls..
here is one from me..
try to find a product like this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BUBIW6
and have it along side your regular sihoor whatever it may be. Or buy one with an even higher protein content but not the ones the muscle builders use because they can overwhelm your kidneys and cause kidney failure-- a protein will sustain your blood sugar without the fast spikes followed blood sugar lows and at the same time provide essential vitamins and minerals and especially water lost through insensible means like sweating or breathing..

taqabal Allah mina wa minkoum

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ayesha.ansari
07-27-2011, 04:45 AM
Thanks dear for sharing this. Proteins are really good for health so we all must need to take that to fulfill our body needs and proper functioning.

Innocent Soul
07-27-2011, 11:29 AM
I feel that the tips here are useful if we follow them.
http://www.productiveramadan.com/you...hange-project/

GuestFellow
08-01-2011, 02:57 PM
Salaam,

Jazakallah khair for sharing.

A quick question. I usually exercise everyday, except Sundays. I jog for 1 hour in the morning. I want everything to be normal during Ramadan, but should I continue to jog for 1 hour? Is this a healthy thing to do?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Hamza Asadullah
08-01-2011, 04:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tragic Typos
Salaam,

Jazakallah khair for sharing.

A quick question. I usually exercise everyday, except Sundays. I jog for 1 hour in the morning. I want everything to be normal during Ramadan, but should I continue to jog for 1 hour? Is this a healthy thing to do?
Asalaamu Alaikum, whether we want to or not we cannot physically do as many activities as we would be able to outside of Ramadan. We may feel physically able to do cardio for the next few days or so but eventually all of the fasting, tarawee, waking up for Sehur and then sleeping again, working etc it will take its tole on us and we will start to feel quite tired after a week or so.

Also we need to reserve as much energy as we can for worship because if we are physically depleted then we will not be able to maximise our Ramadan spiritually with regards to worship.

So taking all of this into consideration it would be best to disregard cardio for this month and instead do a lot more walking. Maybe you can go for a nice swift walk instead to freshen your mind and get your muscles warmed up. But do not do it for too long otherwise you will start to feel thirsty and then you will have a long day without water or food.

Tarawee aswell as being extremely rewarding is a brilliant exercise. Think about it you are constantly standing up and going down for the next hour or so. So have a short swift walk if you want to and throughout the day walk to the Masjid for prayer and you will gain reward for every step as well as exercise. On top of that tarawee in the night and then sleep and wake up for Tahajjud and then go to Fajr.

So we will be doing SO much exercise throughout Ramadan anyway and i can tell you for a fact that doing 23 rakats of tarawee a day for 30 days in the Masjid taking over an hour will give you a lot of stamina as the month progresses.

With regards to eating then it is SO important NOT TO OVEREAT. Have fruit, yoghurt dates etc for opening fast and then pray Maghrib then have a small light meal just until you are satisfied - but eating SLOWLY. The slower we eat the quicker we will feel satisfied but if we stuff our faces then by the time our bodies have sent the message to our brain that we are full then we would have consumed a great deal and feel bloated and that will have an adverse affect on our worship.

So have a light meal after Maghrib then after Tarawee come back and have another light meal like some fruit with yoghurt or something. Then a couple of hours later we will eat again for suhoor and at that time is is best to have porridge which contains slow releasig energy.

There is nothing wrong with a weekly treat but we should eat light meals throughout Ramadan and i guarantee you that you will notice a huge difference with regards to how much we are able to worship.

جوري
08-01-2011, 05:31 PM
I run every day in the morning myself I haven't tried it today just to see how the first day goes, my fear of course is dehydration in this 90 degree weather, but I remember how during the time of the prophet they used to go to battles in the desert heat and at home they didn't even have that much to eat.. it is really a great thing sobhan Allah..
in a couple of days I'll introduce various forms of exercise insha'Allah.. but you might want to switch the time of your jog ..

Jalal~
08-01-2011, 05:43 PM
instead of jogging, maybe you could just walk and cut down the time

Hamza Asadullah
08-01-2011, 06:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ
I run every day in the morning myself I haven't tried it today just to see how the first day goes, my fear of course is dehydration in this 90 degree weather, but I remember how during the time of the prophet they used to go to battles in the desert heat and at home they didn't even have that much to eat.. it is really a great thing sobhan Allah..
in a couple of days I'll introduce various forms of exercise insha'Allah.. but you might want to switch the time of your jog ..

I have done high intensity cardio and weight training on a number of occassions in previous Ramadans and although it will make you feel fresh for a short while it will also make you feel very thirsty throughout the day and you will not be able to do as much worship as you would like to.

So it will not help us to be very productive. So that is why it is best to give High intensity cardio a miss for the month and instead do a quick swift walk or longer slower walk. After Iftaar it is possible to get in a little bit of training but then we have Tarawee which is in itself a good and long workout and the timing between Iftar and Tarawee is very short.

GuestFellow
08-01-2011, 06:21 PM
:sl:

I didn't jog today. I will try it tomorrow. Just want to see how it goes.

format_quote Originally Posted by halalmeat4free
instead of jogging, maybe you could just walk and cut down the time

I find walking boring. :P: I can walk for hours and don't get tired or thirsty. I just become bored and start daydreaming.

Salahudeen
08-01-2011, 07:02 PM
Sis what you said about the protein sheikhs that body builders use interested me, I have a sheikh that has 45grams of protein in one serving, is that too much you think? I drink lots of water though and I heard as long as you drink lots of water your kidneys will be fine. Is that true?

Salahudeen
08-01-2011, 07:08 PM
I stopped all training/exercise for Ramadhan, last time I tried it, instead of making gains I actually got weaker each week.

جوري
08-01-2011, 07:12 PM

I didn't jog today. I will try it tomorrow. Just want to see how it goes.

I don't see why anyone would have to drastically alter their life just because it is Ramadan? However I'd argue that an intense workout that causes dehydration isn't good whether you're or not fasting if you can't hydrate.. if there is some way to keep it low intensity and avoid the heat then by all means go for it..

format_quote Originally Posted by Salahudeen
Sis what you said about the protein sheikhs that body builders use interested me, I have a sheikh that has 45grams of protein in one serving, is that too much you think? I drink lots of water though and I heard as long as you drink lots of water your kidneys will be fine. Is that true?

I think you should get a baseline bun/cr to see your kidney function.. an adult male should consume 48 to 63 grams per day not in one go... and should be balanced with carbs and fats as well.. so I wouldn't recommend a shake with 40+ proteins in one go but you might want to consult a dietitian after doing a basic blood test..

and Allah swt knows best

جوري
08-01-2011, 07:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamza Asadullah
I have done high intensity cardio and weight training on a number of occassions in previous Ramadans and although it will make you feel fresh for a short while it will also make you feel very thirsty throughout the day and you will not be able to do as much worship as you would like to.

So it will not help us to be very productive. So that is why it is best to give High intensity cardio a miss for the month and instead do a quick swift walk or longer slower walk. After Iftaar it is possible to get in a little bit of training but then we have Tarawee which is in itself a good and long workout and the timing between Iftar and Tarawee is very short.
very true.. Jazaka Allah khyran.. it is just a life style thing.. if you're used to it every day and then you stop you'll feel like crap..

GuestFellow
08-01-2011, 10:51 PM
I don't see why anyone would have to drastically alter their life just because it is Ramadan? However I'd argue that an intense workout that causes dehydration isn't good whether you're or not fasting if you can't hydrate.. if there is some way to keep it low intensity and avoid the heat then by all means go for it.

I know what to do now. I will exercise in the afternoon! I will jog but not as fast. I like Ramadan, it's a challenge. It helps us to become disciplined. I like the feeling of controlling my own desires, rather than personal desires controlling me. :skeleton: That is what I call freedom, freedom from your own selfish desires.

جوري
08-01-2011, 11:17 PM
I have gone for half the distance that I usually do, I was getting dizzy toward the end, but when I came home I took a cold shower and feel so much better alot less concerned with food, but I do have a slight headache and I think it is just a coffee thing I didn't have a good cup for sihoor..

only 54 mins left to breakfast..

taqabal Allah mina wa minkoum insha'Allah..

Salahudeen
08-02-2011, 12:23 AM
^ could be dehydration make sure you get enough water in.

Hamza Asadullah
08-02-2011, 12:50 AM
Dehydration is always going to be an issue with any kind of cardiovascular activity whilst fasting. Trust me ive done it many times. It just gets worse as the day progresses and is not something i would recommend at all if you want to have a productive Ramadan.

It is just not possible to consistantly train heavily throughout Ramadan. It;s actually going to do you more harm than good. But It is possible though to do light weight training just to maintain muscle memory. So what i would suggest for those wanting to maintain their muscle memory is to do two half an hour training sessions in a week. There is no point doing more than that because as i said you will not make any gains. Train both days two or even 3 days apart for your body to repair your muscles.

So what you will do is to break your fast with dates, fruit and yoghurt, nothing too heavy. Then pray Maghrib which will help with digestion.

Keep sipping on water whilst you go to the gym and whilst you train. Do a 5 minute warm up and then have your half an hour session of light weights but target the big muscle groups, so do more of squats, lunges and dead lifts rather than targeting specific smaller muscle groups. Do two sets each. Then do a 5 minute warm down.

Then after half an hour of light training go home and have a small bite to eat preferrably food rather than protein shake but you can still have a shake if you so wish. I would just have a quick tuna sandwich with salad or whatevers cooked. Then go tarawee. But the time will be quite tight because of the short time between iftaar and Isha. Then after tarawee have another little bite to eat. Preferrably something light meal with protein and a little portion of brown carbs.

If you do this twice a week than that is sufficient for maintaining muscle memory but you will not make any gains in ramadan so don't expect to try and make gains its all about maintaining muscle memory. You will still feel a good pump. Then after Ramadan its business as usual.

جوري
08-02-2011, 01:37 AM
so very true you know I had planned on doing my exercise after breaking fast between maghrib and isha but now that I broke my fast I can hardly keep my eyes open until taraweeh glad I did it before and I'll definitely try to keep sipping water as much as possible..

Ramadhan
08-02-2011, 02:28 AM

I know what to do now. I will exercise in the afternoon! I will jog but not as fast.

This is what I also normally do, I change my morning daily workout to late afternoon workout right after work. And after the workout when I get really thirsty, it's only half hour to maghrib.

Hamza Asadullah
08-02-2011, 02:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ramadhan

This is what I also normally do, I change my morning daily workout to late afternoon workout right after work. And after the workout when I get really thirsty, it's only half hour to maghrib.
Asalaamu alaikum, the issue there is that the most precious time for worship like reciting the Quran and making Dua is between Asr and Maghrib.

Hamza Asadullah
08-02-2011, 02:58 AM
It all depends on what your goals are. If you want to lose weight then the worst thing you want to do is Cardio at the beginning of the day which will put your body into starvation mode so any calories you give it after Iftar it will grab onto it and not let go. You will just end up losing muscle.

I would not recommend doing cardio and be done by half an hour before Iftaar as that is not only torturing your body after a whole long days of starvation but it can also make you dizzy and weak. On top of that the time between Asr and Maghrib is too precious to be doing anything but Ibaadah.

So if you do want to do cardio it is best to do 20 minutes of HIIT High intensity interval training 45 minutes after a light Iftaar. Making sure to drink at least 1 and a Half liters of water by Suhur. The best thing about HIIT cardio is that your body continues to burn fat long after your training session. Do this twice a week with some walking and light meals after Iftaar and Tarawee every night and just watch the fat melt off and a new you by the end of Ramadan.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
08-02-2011, 09:00 AM
As'Salaamu Alaaykum

I agree you get loads of exercise during the month alHamdulilaah its a blessing, so really your not changing your routine, instead of doing a certain exercise your doing one which prevents any dehydration or tiredness maybe..

I stopped the exercise that makes Ramadhaan difficult for me and instead I still have an alternative such as walking etc also salaah but even then salaah is a normal routine for a muslim, just in the blessed month there is more e.g. Taraweeh, tahajjud. For those who want to do some sort of exercise, maybe do some cleaning around the home maybe, making the home look clean and tidy -maybe that is the only tip I can share because it does involve some sort of exercise :-/

Innocent Soul
08-07-2011, 03:09 AM
Assalamualaikum

if you think this article is long just read the tips. It will be really helpful for you inshallah :).

Beating Procrastination : Keeping a Daily Relationship with the Quran

Innocent Soul
08-15-2011, 03:17 AM

Innocent Soul
08-21-2011, 11:49 AM

Innocent Soul
08-25-2011, 09:35 AM

Innocent Soul
08-29-2011, 04:06 AM

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!