/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Commitment vs Urgent Request

Beardo
07-27-2011, 04:41 PM
I committed to meeting with one of our college professors, to see if he could be an adviser for a club on campus. We'll be having lunch at 11:30.

On the other hand, my Hifdh teacher just called me this morning, saying his baby is in the Emergency Room.

The thing is, this Hifdh teacher does call me often to substitute. Like, at least four times a month. I don't get paid for it or anything, it's just something I do to help him out.

I asked my parents, and they said that he should just cancel class. And I asked my friend for advice, and he was like, "Well, they do pay for HIM to teach the class..."

So with that all in mind, and after the counseling with my parents and friend, I came to the conclusion that I won't substitute. It's an order of commitments. I made a commitment to the lunch, and I can't keep turning off my commitments for him.

What do you guys think?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Alpha Dude
07-27-2011, 05:38 PM
:sl:

I don't get paid for it or anything, it's just something I do to help him out.
Do remember, best payment is in the form of reward from Allah.

Teaching deen if done with ikhlaas could possibly bring greater benefit to yourself and others than this one lunch meeting.

In saying that, the hifdh teacher shouldn't take advantage and ask you to sub as often as he does. So this time and next time, just weigh up the benefits (along with the practicality) of the options in front of you.

E.g.:
Case for: teaching deen is of greater value than sitting at home playing monopoly all afternoon.
Case against: subbing for the hifdh teaher when you have an exam to revise for would be silly.

AabiruSabeel
07-27-2011, 07:00 PM
:sl:

If you already have a commitment, then it is important to fulfill that as well.

Beardo
07-28-2011, 02:21 PM
I agree with both the above posts. It's just that I felt guilty because in his defense, he did have to go to the ER and all. Khair, inshallah. At least I fulfilled a commitment. If he had let me known sooner (not that he could have), I would have loved to sub. I love kids. :) Alhamdulillah.

Anyhow, I just wanted to clarify if commitment would come before subbing for him.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!