/* */

PDA

View Full Version : a few clarifications

gupp
07-27-2011, 06:13 PM
When did Muhammad(pbuh) marry Aisha? How old was he? How old was she? Was this normal for the time?

Wondered this just so I can feel more confident in the answer.

Thank you,
Gupp

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Perseveranze
07-27-2011, 09:46 PM
http://media.rasoulallah.net/Our_Lib..._Pedophile.pdf

Read and understand ^ and you'll be able to answer anyone.

Tyrion
07-28-2011, 12:04 AM
This only becomes a problem if we look at it through our cultural lens, which is unfair. From what I remember, the age of Aisha was around 6 when they married, and 9 when the marriage was consummated. Muhammad :saws1: was, I believe, around 50. This was a common custom at the time, and nobody thought ill of the marriage. If there was any sort of problem, then the enemies of Islam would surely have picked up on it and used it in their attacks, right?

From Wiki:

Child marriages such as this were relatively common in Bedouin societies at the time, and remain common in some modern societies worldwide.[14] British scholar Colin Turner suggests that such marriages were not seen as improper in historical context, and that individuals in such societies matured at an earlier age than in the modern West.[14] In modern times, however, the issue of Muhammad marrying and having sexual relations with a girl so young has been used to criticize him, particularly in societies where child sexual abuse and related issues are considered serious crimes.[14]

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!