/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Salah - foot position, timing, dua.

Seeker_17
07-29-2011, 09:42 PM
Assalamu Alaykum everyone.

I have a few questions regarding Salah and was hoping you could help me. I am just starting out. Firstly, regarding the position of the feet when sitting.. I know the recommended position is to rest on the left foot whilst the right foot is vertical with toes pointing towards the qiblah. However, when I try to do this I find it really painful and difficult to do. Is this position obligatory or is there another way I can position my feet whilst sitting?

Next is regarding the timing of the prayers.. Does each prayer have to be prayed straight away or can it be prayed any time before the next? For example if Isha starts at 10pm and Fajr for the following morning starts at 3.45am, would I be able to pray Isha any time from 10pm til 3.45am or is there a certain time by which it must be prayed?

Finally, I am confused about the concept of making dua. When would be the time to make dua in prayer? After salah has been completed? And how would I go about doing this?

Thank you for taking the time to read this and Insha'Allah I will get some answers to my questions, please let me know of anything you think will help.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Shadid
08-03-2011, 10:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Seeker_17
Finally, I am confused about the concept of making dua. When would be the time to make dua in prayer? After salah has been completed? And how would I go about doing this?
6. While Prostrating
Abu Hurairah (radiAllahu anhu) narrated that Allah’s Messenger (salAllahu alayhi
wasalam), said: ‘The nearest a slave can be to his Lord is when he is prostrating, so
invoke (supplicate) Allah (Subhanahu wa Ta’ala) much in it.
[Muslim, abu Dawud, an-Nasa’i and others, Sahih al-Jami #1175]
When a Muslim is in his Salat (prayer) he is facing Allah (Subhanahu wa Ta’ala) and
when he prostrates he is the nearest he can be to Allah (Subhanahu wa Ta’ala) so it is best
to invoke Allah (Subhanahu wa Ta’ala) at this time. It is said that while in prostration,
one should not ask for worldy needs (ie a nice car, a new job, etc), but for the Hereafter.

MustafaMc
08-04-2011, 02:46 AM
Firstly, regarding the position of the feet when sitting.. I know the recommended position is to rest on the left foot whilst the right foot is vertical with toes pointing towards the qiblah. However, when I try to do this I find it really painful and difficult to do. Is this position obligatory or is there another way I can position my feet whilst sitting?
I sit for the 1st sitting like you said and then for the last one I sit on my left buttock with my left foot under the arch of my right shin. Until recently I sat with my feet pointed backward and angled in slightly. I have gout in my ankle occasionally and have to sit on a pillow because it would be too painful.
Does each prayer have to be prayed straight away or can it be prayed any time before the next?
It is much more preferred to say each salah very soon after the time begins.
When would be the time to make dua in prayer? After salah has been completed? And how would I go about doing this?
As has been mentioned the best time for dua is during sujud or prostration. I find it best to make dua in the last prostration of salah so I don't loose count of where I am in prayer. You can ask for what you want in your own language and wording. Making dua during tahajjud (late night before time for fajr) is an especially good time to make dua.

Seeker_17
08-05-2011, 02:46 PM
Thank you both, that's really helpful but I'm still a little bit confused..

format_quote Originally Posted by MustafaMc
As has been mentioned the best time for dua is during sujud or prostration. I find it best to make dua in the last prostration of salah so I don't loose count of where I am in prayer.
So say if I was to make dua in the last prostration of salah.. would I make my dua then just carry on salah as usual? Would this not interrupt the order?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
MustafaMc
08-05-2011, 09:49 PM
So say if I was to make dua in the last prostration of salah.. would I make my dua then just carry on salah as usual? Would this not interrupt the order?
No, normally we say 'Subhana Rabbil A'la' "Glory to my Lord, the Most High" 3 times in prostration and adding personal dua after that doesn't interrupt or change the order. There is no specified amount of time to spend in each position of salah beyond what is prescribed for us to say.

Seeker_17
08-05-2011, 10:13 PM
No, normally we say 'Subhana Rabbil Atheem' 3 time in prostration and adding personal dua after that doesn't interrupt or change the order. There is no specified amount of time to spend in each position of salah beyond what is prescribed for us to say.
So after saying 'Subhana Rabbial Atheem' three times I would remain in that position and make my dua then continue as normal?

Alpha Dude
08-05-2011, 10:25 PM
Wa alaykum salam

From what I remember, according to hanafi madhab (not sure about others), it is makruh to pray Isha after 12am.

Just so you know, dua can be made at any time. It doesn't have to be during or after any of the 5 daily salah.

MustafaMc
08-06-2011, 03:27 AM
So after saying 'Subhana Rabbial Atheem' three times I would remain in that position and make my dua then continue as normal?
Yes, that is my understanding and is what I do. Again, I wait until the last rakat so I don't forget where I am in the salah. Most of salah is ritualized, but making personal supplications is also a form of worship as in surah al-Fatiha "You alone do we ask for help".

Yes, it is better to say isha before midnight.

Salahudeen
08-06-2011, 03:47 AM
Someone explain how to calculate midnight the Islamic way, I can't remember :hmm: you take the time between maghrib and fajar and divide it in 2?

MustafaMc
08-06-2011, 11:43 AM
Makes sense to me.

5:30 AM = 5.50 hour dawn & 8:15 PM sunset = 20.25 hour, midnight by clock is 12:00 PM = 24.00 hour, 24.00-20.35=3.75 time between sunset & midnight, 5.50 is time from midnight to dawn, (3.75+5.50)/2=4.625 hours from sunset to solar midnight, 20.25 sunset+4.625 until solar midnight=24.875, which is 12:52 AM according to the clock.

I would just go pray isha before 12:00 PM. I believe that it is preferable to say isha just before going to bed unless you can pray it in congregation, or unless you go to bed after midnight.

Salahudeen
08-06-2011, 03:47 PM
Makes sense to me.

5:30 AM = 5.50 hour dawn & 8:15 PM sunset = 20.25 hour, midnight by clock is 12:00 PM = 24.00 hour, 24.00-20.35=3.75 time between sunset & midnight, 5.50 is time from midnight to dawn, (3.75+5.50)/2=4.625 hours from sunset to solar midnight, 20.25 sunset+4.625 until solar midnight=24.875, which is 12:52 AM according to the clock.

I would just go pray isha before 12:00 PM. I believe that it is preferable to say isha just before going to bed unless you can pray it in congregation, or unless you go to bed after midnight.
Bro I got lost when the Math bit came ;D

Ramadhan
08-06-2011, 04:00 PM
No, normally we say 'Subhana Rabbil Atheem' 3 time in prostration and adding personal dua after that doesn't interrupt or change the order. There is no specified amount of time to spend in each position of salah beyond what is prescribed for us to say.
I say "subhana rabbiyal a'la wa bi hamdih" (Glory be to my Lord, the Most High, and praise be to You) during prostration, and "subahana rabbiyal atheem wa bi hamdih" (Glory be to my Lord, the Exalted/The Supreme, and praise be to You) during rukoo'.

I am following shafii mathab, so other schools of fiqh may do it differently.

MustafaMc
08-06-2011, 07:17 PM
Brother Ramadhan, you are right. So do, I just made an error in what I wrote. I too try to follow Shafii madhab, but I am not highly knowledgeable about it. I need to start adding the "wa bi hamdi", but in prostration I do say "Subhana Rabbil A'la"

Brother Salahudeen, I believe my calculations are correct, but the complcation is also why I said just go by 12:00 PM by the clock.

Seeker_17
08-06-2011, 11:28 PM
Woah, so much maths! :p
I also have another question if you can help.. What is the correct way to offer sunnat prayers? Are there any differences between the sunnat and fard rakats? And would I offer them completely separately? By this I mean, for example, if I was to pray the four sunnat rakats before the four fard for Zuhr, would I make the intention to pray four sunnat rakats for Zuhr then go on to pray as normal.. then after this make intention again for the four fard etc. And do I complete the sunnat prayer after the 4 rakats by saying the Salam or do I do this after the whole prayer including sunnat and fard is done? I hope my questions make sense.

MustafaMc
08-07-2011, 12:14 AM
Sorry to have overwhelmed you with the calculations. I have an analytical mind and get carried away sometime :embarrass

I say my sunnah salah just like the fardh except the intention before starting and that they are not recited out loud just like the fardh zuhr and asr salah. Yes, there is salam after each salah and before the next one. For example, 2 rakat sunnah fajr with 'Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi' to the right then the left and then stand up for fardh fajr with opening takbir, 'Allahu akbar' all of the way through to salam again.

Salahudeen
08-07-2011, 02:17 AM
seeker would you like some videos of how to pray??? or you all ready found some???

The link below has a video of how to pray, scroll down and click play when you open it.

http://www.kalamullah.com/new-muslims.html

Seeker_17
08-07-2011, 11:33 AM
I say my sunnah salah just like the fardh except the intention before starting and that they are not recited out loud just like the fardh zuhr and asr salah. Yes, there is salam after each salah and before the next one. For example, 2 rakat sunnah fajr with 'Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi' to the right then the left and then stand up for fardh fajr with opening takbir, 'Allahu akbar' all of the way through to salam again.
Thank you, that's a big help :)

Seeker_17
08-07-2011, 11:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Salahudeen
seeker would you like some videos of how to pray??? or you all ready found some???

The link below has a video of how to pray, scroll down and click play when you open it.
I have already found some videos but I will watch this too, thank you :)

Seeker_17
08-07-2011, 11:51 AM
I say my sunnah salah just like the fardh except the intention before starting and that they are not recited out loud just like the fardh zuhr and asr salah.
By the way brother, just to let you know, Zuhr and Asr salah should be recited silently. What should be recited aloud is the Fajr prayer, the first two rakats of Maghrib and the first two rakats of Isha. This is what I have been told anyway.

MustafaMc
08-07-2011, 04:12 PM
By the way brother, just to let you know, Zuhr and Asr salah should be recited silently. What should be recited aloud is the Fajr prayer, the first two rakats of Maghrib and the first two rakats of Isha. This is what I have been told anyway.
Yes, I know that is why I said the sunnah were like zuhr and asr.

Seeker_17
08-08-2011, 12:44 AM
Yes, I know that is why I said the sunnah were like zuhr and asr.
Ahh I thought you meant loud like the Zuhr and Asr salah. I read it wrong, apologies :)

MustafaMc
08-08-2011, 02:10 AM
No problem. Written words are often misunderstood and I have been wrong before, too. It never hurts to clarify.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!