/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Are we sure?

BillMurray
08-01-2011, 01:47 PM
Are Muslims sure there is only one interpretation of the Quran and Islam? Obviously not, considering the amount of sectarian violence.

Would the world be a better place if Muslims, Christians and Jewish people just subscribed to this kind of mentality- “Hmm, this person disagrees with me, should I oppress him or kill him? I tell you what, I won’t do any of them, and instead I’ll respect his views”.

This may sound like wishful thinking, but maybe it’s time we starting acting on wishful thinking?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Thucydides1987
08-01-2011, 02:22 PM
I think a lot of them who aren't dogmatic already subscribe to that. Or at least they just don't care. Unfortunately, there are many religious ppl still out there who get off by shoving their ideas down people's throats, or ridiculing others for what they believe.

Perseveranze
08-02-2011, 09:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Thucydides1987
I think a lot of them who aren't dogmatic already subscribe to that. Or at least they just don't care. Unfortunately, there are many religious ppl still out there who get off by shoving their ideas down people's throats, or ridiculing others for what they believe.
Happens from every groups or perspective, including Athiests. It's happened probably since the beginning of civilization and will always continue to happen till the end of time. Disagreements are apart of human nature.

Does that mean you should oppress them? Nope, and Islamically speaking it isn't allowed.

@OP It is wisheful thinking, this includes the practical sense. Even oppression is apart of human nature, though there are many out there who try to stop it, I don't think it in itself can ever be stopped. When you have rules and laws, someone is always bound to feel "oppressed".

Ğħαrєєвαħ
08-02-2011, 09:51 PM
Greetings of peace

Yes muslims believe in the Qur'aan, those who follow this book are from the islamic faith.

This question is rather confusing "Are Muslims sure there is only one interpretation of the Quran and Islam? Obviously not, considering the amount of sectarian violence."

because not all muslims and nor the Qur'aan teaches to cause hatred between one another, neither with non-muslims. yes there are bad people in every society, community etc, doesnt mean the whole group is as messed up. I like the saying 'do not judge a book by its cover', in this case the book is perfect but the people however are not.

Yes ofcourse and no doubt the world would be a better place if humans got along with one another regardless of their faith or the lack of disagreement with one another, keep in mind its not just muslims, christians or jews or any other people who follow a religion who cause this disruption or hatred, but also those who do not believe in a God.

"I tell you what, I won’t do any of them, and instead I’ll respect his views”." and that is what Islaam teaches.

Im not sure about 'wishful thinking' but yes i agree that one must have a positive atitude towards someone or something they have a disagreement with. Having a negative atitude, being angry etc has never lead one to have a successful and good end as far as I am aware.

being positive means realising that there are good muslims, christians, jews out there who try to follow their faith and what it prescribed and dont like none of this negativeness, i hope i made sense and i apologise if i said anything harsh

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Asiyah3
08-02-2011, 09:56 PM
Peace!

Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing your thoughts.

It isn't wise to judge a religion based on it's worst followers. Those few followers are acting contrary to Islam's teachings and they are no role model for us Muslims. A murderer is a murderer and an oppressor is an oppressor regardless of his religion.

Our role model is the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him), and all prophets (peace be upon them) and righteous guided people. Let us look at what the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) taught:

Narrated Anas: Allah's Apostle said, "Help your brother, whether he is an oppressor or he is an oppressed one. People asked, "O Allah's Apostle! It is all right to help him if he is oppressed, but how should we help him if he is an oppressor?" The Prophet said, "By preventing him from oppressing others." (Book #43, Hadith #624)

جوري
08-02-2011, 10:04 PM
I was really hoping no one would reply to this post, either on the defense of offense.. the OP drew a faulty conclusion:
format_quote Originally Posted by BillMurray
Are Muslims sure there is only one interpretation of the Quran and Islam?
and proceeded to reply to his own query :
Obviously not,
Then 'me too' jumped on the band wagon to bait people in the holy month to defend some undefined claim that he concocted in his mind..
what a waste of everyone's time and energy!!

:w:

Karl
08-03-2011, 12:30 AM
I think the main problem is over population, people of all faiths or no faiths are in a state of stress due to over population. All the troubles of the world are due from overpopulation. If people were few and far between and balanced with nature things would be fine. Religion can give guidance and tolerance but people need their space.
As for the Quran it is written in poetic Arabic prose, so I suppose some of it can be understood in different ways but some is as clear as day.
But generally people tend to sink into the old pagan ways, let's take Christianity. Jesus said "turn your swords into ploughs" but the western Christians just made their swords into the shape of the cross and carried on sinning. Now they have all manner of Weapons of mass destruction. And why did this happen? Well in the minds of the barbarians Mary replaced the Earth Mother, Jesus replaced Thor and Jehovah replaced Odin. Christianity was just a new skin over the pagan DOS forever running in the background. All other fairly modern religions (only a few thousand years old) are the same. Religion is like a tree, the roots of them is pagan and is hidden under the soil.

May Ayob
08-03-2011, 04:10 AM
Peace be to you

The above about respecting views of others sounds good. Let's also hope for sectarian Peace.
Killing people and oppressing them is wrong. But it's not only Muslims Christians and Jews that do so, as Perseverance said it's part of human nature ( not to make excuses or justifications or anything like that) but I think Politicians sometimes do the same they kill and oppress because they fear loosing power.

How do we act on wishful thinking? I would appreciate if you gave me an answer

Peace be to you

Tyrion
08-03-2011, 06:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by BillMurray
Words, words, words...
I'm a huge fan of your work. I especially enjoyed your cameo in Zombieland.

:p:

M.I.A.
08-03-2011, 08:01 AM
you can respect a persons views but at a basic level you have to still be able to distinguish between right and wrong.. not condoning behavior that is not halal.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!