/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Debate with an Athiest.

SyrianFellow
08-03-2011, 05:35 AM
Salam Alaikum,

My knowledge of Islam is very limited, and I tend to increase it daily.
I have had a small argument with a fellow friend and I am confused on what to reply,

I recently posted a video where a Christian converted to Islam called "How the Bible Led Me to Islam: The Story of a Former Christian Youth Minister - Joshua Evans" (I cant post direct links since I am new sorry)

and he replied with,

"A switch from Christianity to Islam would be analogous to a switch from Cocaine to Methamphetamine"

then I replied, knowing that he was an Atheist,

"If you don't believe in a God, try answering this,

A scholar, Bediuzzaman Said Nursi once said:

" Every village must have its headman; every needle must have its manufacturer and craftsman. And, as you know, every letter must be written by someone. How, then, can it be that so extremely well-ordered a kingdom should have no ruler?"" (Found the quote on this website)

Later he replied with,

"The scientific consensus on that question is immediately applicable - but why would I bring that up (this is the part where you critically think)?

Anyways, to which kingdom does Nursi refer? Is it just the Earth? If so, then his scope is not only limited, it's laughably dismissible. Does he refer to all of reality, which includes the universe? Then his question is meaningless and not worth considering (I apologize for not elaborating, but a quick example should suffice - any god that could create the universe, the entire universe, and still care about how people on a tiny mote of dust slept with each other, does not make sense; it would be like you creating life on a cell in some bacteria at the bottom of the ocean [given that the ocean itself is analogous to the universe] and caring, once back on land, about how that life behaved; utterly ludicrous, especially given that every god that humanity has created has been distinctly human in nature).

But let's not debate god's existence, because that's better left for the classroom. I am, as I should be, open to the idea of god. I was being facetious with my first comment, but of course I was serious in that I am against religion, the organized and public form of private faith. Don't jump from Islam/Christianity to god, because there is a distinction between religion and its protagonist."

Could anyone help me reply to his recent message?

Jazak Allahu Khairan.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Alpha Dude
08-07-2011, 11:04 PM
Honestly? Don't bother getting into such arguments with him. Pass on the message but don't waste time trying to "convert" him as guidance is in the hands of Allah.

This fellow doesn't seem to be sincere so whatever you say isn't likely to be taken seriously.

SyrianFellow
08-11-2011, 10:38 AM
Jazak Allahu Khairan for your reply,

I just replied, that since my knowledge is limited I am not here to debate. And after a few more comments he posted he stopped.
Inshallah Allah guides him towards the right path.

Thank you.
SyrianFellow

MartyrX
08-11-2011, 04:46 PM
I have to agree with Alpha. It's best not to argue with people like him. He's not interested in a genuine debate.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ğħαrєєвαħ
08-11-2011, 06:18 PM
wa alaaykum as'salaam

I agree its best to stay far away from debates especially when you have no knowledge regarding the topic. What it usually does is decreases your emaan and you begin to doubt your own faith.

So instead of debating, seek knowledge insha'Allaah.

Yanal
08-11-2011, 07:28 PM
But let's not debate god's existence, because that's better left for the classroom. I am, as I should be, open to the idea of god. I was being facetious with my first comment, but of course I was serious in that I am against religion, the organized and public form of private faith. Don't jump from Islam/Christianity to god, because there is a distinction between religion and its protagonist."
:sl:

Well,how does he want to debate whether Islam is the true religion without discussing the existence of God?
I do believe that the existence of God is something that can be recognized by all human beings if looked upon closer evidence upon the Earth, I don't believe someone can 'prove' the existence of God and guide an atheist to theism,some like the person you are debating against are not open minded,and only wish to cause havoc. Obviously he does not want to debate the existence of God,then what's the use of debating with him? If he asks for proof of the existence of God, and he asks that, if God truly exists, why doesn't He simply demonstrate His existence to the world by sending some sign down from heaven and so on;then he has so constantly in the Quraan:
These are verses of the Book that makes (things) clear.
It may be thou frettest thy soul with grief, that they do not become Believers.
If (such) were Our Will, We could send down to them from the sky a Sign, to which they would bend their necks in humility.
But there comes not to them a newly-revealed Message from ((Allah)) Most Gracious, but they turn away therefrom.
They have indeed rejected (the Message): so they will know soon (enough) the truth of what they mocked at!
Do they not look at the earth,- how many noble things of all kinds We have produced therein?
Verily, in this is a Sign: but most of them do not believe.

Insha'Allaah this will help you with your debate against the person,I'll leave it at this for now.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!