/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Listening to Quran whilst sleeping

jimbo123
08-11-2011, 01:39 AM
I was having a debate with someone that you shouldn't be listening to the Quran to go to sleep. He sleeps because he enjoys the voice of the recital. Is it allowed or not?

I know that you are not allowed to be talking or doing other things:
Surah Al Araaf Verse 204
"When the Qur'an is recited to you. listen to it with attention and keep silence: it tray be that you also are blessed with mercy."153"
Secondly what is said about someone who avoids going to a local masjid and goes to one much further away due to the quality of recital?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
MartyrX
08-11-2011, 02:59 PM
I'm interested in this answer as well. I listen to my recitation while I sleep as well.

~ AbduRahman ~
08-12-2011, 10:13 AM

What is the ruling on listening to Qur’aan before going to sleep, whether from a cassette player or some other means?

Praise be to Allaah.

There is nothing wrong with a Muslim listening to Qur’aan before he sleeps, or listening to a lecture or anything permissible. Indeed it is narrated in the saheeh Sunnah that among the adhkaar to be recited before going to sleep are some du’aa’s and verses and soorahs from the Qur’aan.

Al-Bukhaari said:

Chapter: Seeking refuge with Allaah and reciting Qur’aan when going to sleep

It was narrated from ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) that when the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) went to bed, he would blow into his hands and recite the Mu’awwadhaat, and wipe his body with them.

Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5960.

It was narrated that Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) appointed me to guard the zakaah of Ramadaan, and someone came and started to rummage in the food. I took hold of him and said: “I am going to take you to the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)”… And he said: “When you go to your bed, recite Aayat al-Kursi, and you will have ongoing protection from Allaah and no devil will come near you until morning comes.” The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “He spoke the truth even though he is a liar; that was a devil.”

Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 3101.

Listening to Qur’aan before going to sleep and after, during Ramadaan and at other times, instills tranquility in the heart and helps one relax. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“verily, in the remembrance of Allaah do hearts find rest”

[al-Ra’d 13:28]

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

~ AbduRahman ~
08-12-2011, 10:23 AM

I am sorry for not answering you second question in the previous post.

Regarding you second question:

Going around to different mosques looking for a beautiful voice.

What is the ruling on going around to different mosques looking for an imam with a beautiful voice because that makes one more focused in prayer?

Praise be to Allaah.

It seems – and Allaah knows best – that there is nothing wrong with that, if the purpose is to find something which will help one to focus properly in prayer and be at ease therein, because not every voice is pleasant, so if the aim in going to hear the voice of a particular imam is to encourage one to do good and focus more fully in prayer, there is nothing wrong with that. Rather his action will be appreciated and he will be rewarded for that. A person may focus well behind one imam and not behind another because of the difference between the two recitations and the two prayers. So if the aim in going to a distant mosque is to listen to his recitation because of his beautiful voice, and to benefit from that and to focus properly in his prayer, and not just for fun, but to benefit and learn, and to focus properly in prayer, there is nothing wrong with that. It is proven in the saheeh hadeeth that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The people who will have the greatest reward for prayer will be those who walk the furthest distance to come and pray, then those who walk the next furthest.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari (651) and Muslim (662). If his aim is also to increase the number of steps he takes, this is also a good purpose. End quote.

Majmoo’ Fataawa al-Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) (11/328, 329).

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
jimbo123
08-14-2011, 11:56 PM
Jazakallahu-firdaus!

Abz2000
08-15-2011, 02:19 AM
i also have the habit of listening to lectures or the Quran by Sudais and fall asleep, sometimes i wake up and find it still playing, that verse has also concerned me - as it means i'm not concentrating, i also sometimes play it during the day while doing work, sometimes i have to talk or make loud sounds when doing bits and bobs around the house, but the way i see it, that is not at a gathering where others are coming to specifically listen and is better than Satan throwing junk in your mind - also - when i went to 'Umrah during Ramadan - our hotel was near Haraam Shareef, so it is sometimes unavoidable to fall asleep or for shopkeepers to run their shop when the taraweeh/tahajjud is being recited - as they close during the day in Ramadan - the pilgrims stop to buy coffee and food and things at these evening times, i sincerely believe the verse is regarding listening intently in a gathering where the Quran is being recited - so as to ensure maximum concentration and to avoid disturbance to others, and also out of respect, that's the bit that concerns me sometimes though, as it feels i am giving priority to the other thing while the words of Almighty God are being recited, but then i think - would i rather keep it switched off and only listen during the very few minutes i have during the day when i'm doing nothing else? i'd say it's better to listen and do things as long as it's not a live recitation during a sit-in - But Almighty God knows best

~ AbduRahman ~
08-15-2011, 08:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by jimbo123
Jazakallahu-firdaus!
ِAameen. You too.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!