/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Islam & Salam " peace"

nour elhoda
08-15-2011, 09:42 PM
Today there is a great debate about whether Islam is a religion of peace or not
To appreciate how Islam approaches the question of peace. One has only to consider a few elementary facts about islam .
[BANANA]
  1. Peace and islam are derived from the same root and may be considered synonymous.
  2. One of God's Names is peace.
  3. The concluding words of the daily prayers of every muslim aer words of peace
  4. The greeting of muslims when they return to God is peace.
  5. The daily salutations among the muslims are expressions of peace
  6. The adjective " muslim" means , in a sense, peaceful
  7. Heaven in islam is the abode of peace
[/BANANA] This is how fundemental & dominant the theme of peace is in islam . the individual who approaches God through islam is at peace with God , with himself, & with people.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Scimitar
08-16-2011, 02:40 AM
Alhamdulillah, I liked reading that.

Allah bless you for sharing with us.

nour elhoda
08-16-2011, 08:38 PM
thank you so much ..Allah bless u too

Abz2000
08-16-2011, 11:34 PM
yes, the word Islam is derived from the root "slm" which means peace, and also to be at peace with,

yet we are not like the followers of Ghandhi,
we are the followers of Muhammad (pbuh) who is reported to have said:

anaa nabiyyul marhamah wa anaa nabiyyul malhamah
i am the Prophet of mercy and i am the prophet of war

A muslim is at peace with Almighty God, and it is Almighty God who gave to each thing it's nature and a law,
so when we come across something that is the antithesis to that law - we are not always "at peace" with it - because sometimes it is at war with Almighty God.

A muslim's duty when he see's a bad action is to stop it through the strength of their presence,
if that is not achievable, the must try to stop it with their tongue (coax them out of it)
if that is not achievable they should at least dislike the deed within their heart - and that is the weakest part of faith.

so a Muslim must not give the wrong impression to others that Islam is about ignoring everything evil.
because it would be used against them on the day of judgement by the one who was turned away from Islam due to hearing that and finding that Islam declares war against usurers.
thereby having come to the understanding that it is a religion of confusion.

i hope if have been of some help,
peace

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
nour elhoda
08-20-2011, 09:19 PM
thank you so much brother

you are totally right
we are asked to reform in our society & try to stop anything wrong but the ways vary according to the situation
with strength , with words or with heart

that means that A muslim should be wise & choose the appropriate means in the appropriate situation to avoid giving bad impression about islam coz the muslim is a representative of Islam all the time

Perseveranze
08-20-2011, 10:03 PM
How can Islam and peace even be up for debate, the word Islam comes from the word peace.

This just western propoganda/twisting and Muslims who are desperatly trying to prove their religion is "peaceful" are only falling into their trap.

We Muslims have nothing to prove, Islam and its teachings speak for itself.

Mungling
08-24-2011, 11:44 PM
A question and two thoughts.

First the question. I was always told that Islam roughly means "Submission to God". Now I suppose that since God desires peace Submission to God could mean peace (as well as many other things). Still, for my sake, does Islam translate to peace or submission?

My first thought on the issue would be whatever the word Islam means, it really doesn't have anything to do with whether or not Islam is a religion of peace. A rose by any other name would smell as sweet and all that.

Secondly, I would have to agree with other posters who argued that the teachings of Islam should speak for itself. Some pretty awful things have been done in the name of Islam just as some pretty awful things have been done in the name of Secular Humanism, Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, ect. To use the colloquism: haters gonna hate.

Ramadhan
08-26-2011, 01:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mungling
Still, for my sake, does Islam translate to peace or submission?
I'm no arabic speaker, so CMIIW, the root word for Islam is S-L-M which is also the root word for submission and peace.

nour elhoda
08-27-2011, 09:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mungling
A question and two thoughts.

First the question. I was always told that Islam roughly means "Submission to God". Now I suppose that since God desires peace Submission to God could mean peace (as well as many other things). Still, for my sake, does Islam translate to peace or submission?

according to the arabic language the word Islam has 2 roots " peace & submission" ...and by the way they are related to each other .. to illustrate more , if One submits to the will of God , the creator of everything , Allah will give him the peace of mind and heart .In addition, All of the Islam's teachings together aim at reaching Peace on the level of the individual life as will as the world's one.

My first thought on the issue would be whatever the word Islam means, it really doesn't have anything to do with whether or not Islam is a religion of peace. A rose by any other name would smell as sweet and all that.

Secondly, I would have to agree with other posters who argued that the teachings of Islam should speak for itself. Some pretty awful things have been done in the name of Islam just as some pretty awful things have been done in the name of Secular Humanism, Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, ect. To use the colloquism: haters gonna hate.

you are totally right , but sometimes we have to clarify certain things for people who don't know about Islam , or who depend on the media and the western propaganda when forming their opinions.
and you are totally true that there is a big difference between the teaching of the religion and the individual's deeds

thank u for ur comments

Abz2000
08-28-2011, 04:54 AM
when a king sends an envoy and demands submission - you are at peace if you submit - so - yes the God of the universe demands submission, and your are at peace if you submit.
the words go hand in hand. they have an entwined texture in arabic depending on the context though they may be different words in english.

secondly if you take islam from the bbc or cnn, and don't have any books or Quran to refer to - and you become a cnn or bbc "Muslim" - you should be convinced soon that you are required to blow yourself up when killing innocent people in order to please God, when really you'll end up in hell - coz those innocent people were your invitees

29. (The queen) said: "Ye chiefs! here is delivered to me - a letter worthy of respect.
30. "It is from Solomon, and is (as follows): 'In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful:
31. "'Be ye not arrogant against me, but come to me in submission (muslimeen).'"
32. She said: "Ye chiefs! advise me in (this) my affair: no affair have I decided except in your presence."
33. They said: "We are endued with strength, and given to vehement war: but the command is with thee; so consider what thou wilt command."
34. She said: "Kings, when they enter a country, despoil it, and make the noblest of its people its meanest thus do they behave.
35. "But I am going to send him a present, and (wait) to see with what (answer) return (my) ambassadors."
Quran 27:29-35

we can see in this context that
being in a state of peace and submission are one and the same,

“And who turns away from the religion of Abraham except him who befools himself?
We chose him and rendered pure in this world, and in the hereafter he is in the ranks of the righteous.
When his Lord said to him:
‘Submit to me’ (Aslim)
and he said:
‘I submit my will to the Lord of all creation.
And this was the legacy that Abraham left to his sons and so did Jacob;
"O my sons! God has chosen the religion (faith) for you, so die not except in the state of submission (muslimeen)".
Were you witnesses when death came to Jacob? When he said to his sons: "What will you worship after me?"
They said: "We shall worship your God; the God of your fathers Abraham, Ishmael and Isaac, the one (true) God; and to Him will we submit (muslimeen)"
(Holy Qur’an 2: 130-133).

however the word salaam once taken from the root slm is peace on it's own.

Mungling
09-01-2011, 11:42 PM
Interesting. Arabic really is a fascinating language, and I really wish I hate the motivation and discipline needed to learn. As for the quality of the mainstream media on Islam... Most Catholics I know have long since dismissed the quality of religion reporting as a joke. I think it would benefit every faith community to demand a higher standard of journalism when issues of religion are concerned.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!