/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Any brothers here work in I.T?

Salahudeen
08-20-2011, 11:33 PM
Just curious if any brothers here work in I.T would like to ask some questions :hmm:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Innocent Soul
08-21-2011, 04:44 AM
According to my knowledge these two brothers 'Abd Al-Maajid and Abdul-Raouf work in IT. I am not sure. So forgive me if I am wrong :).

GuestFellow
08-21-2011, 11:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Innocent Soul
According to my knowledge these two brothers 'Abd Al-Maajid and Abdul-Raouf work in IT. I am not sure. So forgive me if I am wrong :).
Salaam,

Yes, Maajid works in IT.

Mr.President
08-21-2011, 11:43 AM
Bro shoot ur Q ? whats the problem ?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Tilmeez
08-21-2011, 07:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mr.President
Bro shoot ur Q ?
Agree! Just make sure no one gets hurt.

Abz2000
08-21-2011, 11:46 PM
and me!

http://www.abzcomputers.com/

Feel free to ask any questions, though I can only tell you that I don't know everything and am human like you, I also noticed you are in London, I'm In tottenham, call if you need remote support, or you need to pop down for hardware support, (pc software and hardware, mac hardware only) would be honoured to be able to assist a brother or sister from this forum without charge for time, especially in this month.
Peace

Salahudeen
08-22-2011, 05:00 AM
Well I'm doing networking but I'm confused about where the server fits in, I can subnet a network and design an addressing scheme and configure it so that all the devices can ping each other and communicate, now I'm just wondering where a server comes into the equation and how would you set up a shared printer for all the users in an office.

In an office building, does the server store all the user accounts? So when they want to log in, the details they enter to log in for example user name and password etc are authenticated with the server that's running software like Windows server 2008?

Also how would you make it so that a group of users on a network in an office block can't access stuff like control panel and prevent them from modifying other stuff on the PC

I'm confused about where Microsoft comes in, I've just done CCNA 2 but can't see how I would set the network up to offer shared printers and user accounts and a certain amount of disk storage for all users. Is all what I just mentioned configured from the server with windows server software?

sorry if the questions are silly but I'm trying to paint a picture in my head of how it all works cos it's like a big blur atm.

I've heard people talk about Microsoft networking and Cisco networking how are they different? :hmm: jazakAllah khair for the replies.

Mr.President
08-22-2011, 07:05 PM
ok first of all I am not an expert in cisco networking cuz I am into programming I do some networking stuff cuz my boss tells me ! :hmm:

I have worked with couple of network admins when they are busy I do their part !

format_quote Originally Posted by Salahudeen
I can subnet a network and design an addressing scheme and configure it so that all the devices can ping each other and communicate, now I'm just wondering where a server comes into the equation and how would you set up a shared printer for all the users in an office.
servers are used to control a domian for example you have 50 computers and you need to apply certain rule such as blocking CD-ROM access or blocking DateTime changing so the normal method will be go to each and every pc and apply the rule !:exhausted what happens if your company has 2 or more departments while each department has 50 pc's ? it will be a big problem right this is where servers come in to action. Using a windows server OS with active directory + DHCP installed you can easily do these stuff !

In an office building, does the server store all the user accounts? So when they want to log in, the details they enter to log in for example user name and password etc are authenticated with the server that's running software like Windows server 2008?
yea it works like that

Also how would you make it so that a group of users on a network in an office block can't access stuff like control panel and prevent them from modifying other stuff on the PC
There are policies, you configure a policy in your server then you apply that policy to ur workgroups then when a workgroups logs in this policy will be activated ! then BAM !! he cant access CONTROL PANEL :)

I'm confused about where Microsoft comes in, I've just done CCNA 2 but can't see how I would set the network up to offer shared printers and user accounts and a certain amount of disk storage for all users. Is all what I just mentioned configured from the server with windows server software?
My idea is CISCO is about network its not about the software its not about the application layer stuff. you can connect the devices using network but to use the device you need softwares such as windows

Sorry I havent done domain level printer sharing cuz all the offices in my work place have a separate printer but I ve done some basic level of printer sharing right click the printer and share !! :)

I've heard people talk about Microsoft networking and Cisco networking how are they different? :hmm: jazakAllah khair for the replies.
Microsoft covers the software part of a network Cisco covers the hardware section

Microsoft deals with file sharing printer sharing policies, users, user groups etc. CISCO is about the network how to control and maintain a smooth network

Salahudeen
08-22-2011, 07:19 PM
^jazakAllah khair bro, I understand more clearly now, Cisco is just about setting the physical side of the network up, connecting all the routers and switches and establishing communication between them all, then Microsoft software is used to offer services on the network. hmm I need to learn the Microsoft stuff then I guess, don't suppose you know any good books to learn it from? I want to learn how to manage a server and a network, and how to install a server and set it up with DHCP and all the other services etc.

I also want to learn how to manage active directory, I was looking at jobs and a lot of them require you to manage active directory, the trouble is I don't have a server OS installed to practice with, I could install it on my other hard drive because I have 2 hard drives in my PC, if I ran Windows Server 2008 on my PC and connected the PC to my laptop could I practice on how to do them things you mentioned.

I want to learn the skills you see. Also what programming language do you work with? :p

Mr.President
08-22-2011, 07:41 PM
I work with PHP :heated:

Salahudeen
08-22-2011, 07:50 PM
I don't know how you work in programming bro, it does my head right in, I had a VB programming module and alhamdulilah I found all the code I needed for the programme that we had to make in one text book, so I just got it from there but as for understanding the code, it went right over my head, alhamdulilah I didn't have to explain the code otherwise I would've been buggered.

Mr.President
08-22-2011, 07:52 PM
stick to computer networks if you want to get a good corporate job in the middle east but if you wanna start your own business then I think programming is good !:hmm:

Salahudeen
08-22-2011, 08:07 PM
Yeah bro, programming is good also, there is soooooooo many programming jobs out there. I was on the job site the other day and was shocked at the amount of programming jobs available. :omg:

Abz2000
08-22-2011, 08:25 PM
i only fix 'em, i dunno nothing about servers - sorry bro:p

Dagless
08-22-2011, 10:37 PM
^jazakAllah khair bro, I understand more clearly now, Cisco is just about setting the physical side of the network up, connecting all the routers and switches and establishing communication between them all, then Microsoft software is used to offer services on the network. hmm I need to learn the Microsoft stuff then I guess, don't suppose you know any good books to learn it from? I want to learn how to manage a server and a network, and how to install a server and set it up with DHCP and all the other services etc.

I also want to learn how to manage active directory,
All this stuff is covered in the MCSE.

I was looking at jobs and a lot of them require you to manage active directory, the trouble is I don't have a server OS installed to practice with, I could install it on my other hard drive because I have 2 hard drives in my PC, if I ran Windows Server 2008 on my PC and connected the PC to my laptop could I practice on how to do them things you mentioned.
If you have quite a powerful pc you could set up vmware then use that to install a controller and a few clients.

Alpha Dude
08-22-2011, 10:45 PM
Yeah bro, programming is good also, there is soooooooo many programming jobs out there. I was on the job site the other day and was shocked at the amount of programming jobs available. :omg:
However, the market is highly saturated with programmers and very competitive and plus, a lot of the good roles are related to finance in some way.

Any .net gurus here?

Salahudeen
08-22-2011, 10:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dagless

If you have quite a powerful pc you could set up vmware then use that to install a controller and a few clients.
I just found a book called 70-642 - Windows Server 2008 - Network Infractructure Configuration book, it covers it all I think, I will have to work through it :)

Salahudeen
08-22-2011, 11:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dagless

Bro if I do that, set up vm ware, do you know a good book I could work through that contains labs on how to do the stuff?

Dagless
08-22-2011, 11:25 PM
Bro if I do that, set up vm ware, do you know a good book I could work through that contains labs on how to do the stuff?
If you want to do the MSCE stuff then you can either download stuff like CBT Nuggets etc. or get the official books. *cough*newsgroups*cough*torrents*cough**cough*... sorry about that, I'm ok now :)

User29123
08-27-2011, 01:34 AM
Well I'm doing networking but I'm confused about where the server fits in, I can subnet a network and design an addressing scheme and configure it so that all the devices can ping each other and communicate, now I'm just wondering where a server comes into the equation and how would you set up a shared printer for all the users in an office.

sorry if the questions are silly but I'm trying to paint a picture in my head of how it all works cos it's like a big blur atm.

You forgot me to I am IT guru to, ! :D Right to the question yes all user data is stored on the server, if you got 150 people and 200 computers, do you want to go to each computer to check for data? and passwords? no way, its all on networks.

Now to the second question about blocking stuff I am good expert on this since this PC is on lockdown, I don't use a server and depending on what server you got e.g. windows server 2008, its usually gpedit (group policy editor) here there are a list of settings which block stuff like control panel, changing background, right click, lock screen etc. I think there are different Windows (e.g. business, eterprise so you may not have all of them)

Read more about gpedit here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w...erver/bb310732

OK I am assuming your using Microsoft networking sine they are industry leading.

Basically each computer needs to be connected to your server via LAN (Local Area network) I think anyway. You setup the server and user accounts. Second to set up disk quota (this is user storage space) you need a hard drive where users can access their data then set disk quota on that, for default users.

OK I have never used Microsoft windows server, but I know this is how you would do it, and yes everything is controlled on the server you don't want be configuring 200 computers or more one by one!

All printers everything connect to the server.

Need help just ask I can dig stuff out ..

oh and policy for user groups you set up differently. e.g say your working at a School

For Students the restrictions would be, no games, changing password, no access to control panel, 1GB of space.

Then for staff you would allow those top permission and give staff more permissions, more space access to control panel

then for admins you would set up more permissions.... and so it goes a long :D

noorseeker
08-27-2011, 01:57 AM
Yeah bro, programming is good also, there is soooooooo many programming jobs out there. I was on the job site the other day and was shocked at the amount of programming jobs available.
May you Inshallah get the job you want.

and maybe i can get help off you if my pc breaks down, as you only down the road:D

Salahudeen
08-27-2011, 03:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by PoweredByGoogle
You forgot me to I am IT guru to, ! :D Right to the question yes all user data is stored on the server, if you got 150 people and 200 computers, do you want to go to each computer to check for data? and passwords? no way, its all on networks.

Now to the second question about blocking stuff I am good expert on this since this PC is on lockdown, I don't use a server and depending on what server you got e.g. windows server 2008, its usually gpedit (group policy editor) here there are a list of settings which block stuff like control panel, changing background, right click, lock screen etc. I think there are different Windows (e.g. business, eterprise so you may not have all of them)

Read more about gpedit here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w...erver/bb310732

OK I am assuming your using Microsoft networking sine they are industry leading.

Basically each computer needs to be connected to your server via LAN (Local Area network) I think anyway. You setup the server and user accounts. Second to set up disk quota (this is user storage space) you need a hard drive where users can access their data then set disk quota on that, for default users.

OK I have never used Microsoft windows server, but I know this is how you would do it, and yes everything is controlled on the server you don't want be configuring 200 computers or more one by one!

All printers everything connect to the server.

Need help just ask I can dig stuff out ..

oh and policy for user groups you set up differently. e.g say your working at a School

For Students the restrictions would be, no games, changing password, no access to control panel, 1GB of space.

Then for staff you would allow those top permission and give staff more permissions, more space access to control panel

then for admins you would set up more permissions.... and so it goes a long :D
Yes bro it would be great if you could dig some material up for me to learn from, I want to learn how to set all the things you mentioned up, for example I'd like to learn how to set a school and office network up. Doing Cisco has taught me how to connect the network and everything but that's it, hasn't shown me how to get the network to offer services like user accounts.

Salahudeen
08-27-2011, 03:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by noorseeker
May you Inshallah get the job you want.

and maybe i can get help off you if my pc breaks down, as you only down the road:D
Of course bro, anytime. :D

User29123
08-27-2011, 01:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
However, the market is highly saturated with programmers and very competitive and plus, a lot of the good roles are related to finance in some way.

Any .net gurus here?

I am not .net guru but I am learning asp.net and php..

Yes bro it would be great if you could dig some material up for me to learn from, I want to learn how to set all the things you mentioned up, for example I'd like to learn how to set a school and office network up. Doing Cisco has taught me how to connect the network and everything but that's it, hasn't shown me how to get the network to offer services like user accounts.
I have never used Cisco its best if you try Microsoft technology something like Windows Server 2008.

Salahudeen
08-27-2011, 04:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by PoweredByGoogle
I am not .net guru but I am learning asp.net and php..

I have never used Cisco its best if you try Microsoft technology something like Windows Server 2008.
Yeah bro that's what I wanna learn, I've seen quite a few jobs that want you to know how to manage active directory and that's with windows server 2008 isn't it? :p :clever:

User29123
08-27-2011, 08:14 PM
Yeah bro that's what I wanna learn, I've seen quite a few jobs that want you to know how to manage active directory and that's with windows server 2008 isn't it? :p :clever:

Usually when you learn networking in college/Uni there are times where you need to create websites as it ties in with the work. You should try and learn some basic web development stuff. http://www.w3schools.com is where I would go!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!