/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Islam and free will??

AlexJ90
08-21-2011, 10:17 AM
Salaam.

I have a question regarding islam and free will.

This is something that has confused me a lot and i need some people's opinions on this.

In islam we believe God knows every action we WILL make. But if we have free will, and God knows what actions we will take... Then what is the point of this test of life? God knows what the outcome of our life in the end?

Its something that confuses me a lot.

Can someone clear this up for me

Thanks

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Hamza Asadullah
08-22-2011, 03:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AlexIslam
Salaam.

This is something that has confused me a lot and i need some people's opinions on this.

In islam we believe God knows every action we WILL make. But if we have free will, and God knows what actions we will take... Then what is the point of this test of life? God knows what the outcome of our life in the end?

Thanks
Asalaamu Alaikum, The following answers your question:

Yes, we can say that Allah Willed me to do x, y, and also z. Nothing moves or is brought to rest, except by the Power of Allah, in accordance with that which His Will specified and what He knew with His Knowledge.

Realizing this is key to the perfection of ones faith.

This is why the Prophet (Allah bless him & give him peace) asked one of the Companions, Shall I not guide you to words that are a treasure from the treasures of Paradise? He said, Indeed, O Messenger of Allah!

The Prophet (Allah bless him & give him peace) said, There is no ability or power except through Allah (la hawla wa la quwwata illa billah). [Bukhari (3883); Muslim (4873), and others]

Allah tells us this clearly in the Quran:

Allah hath created you and what you do. [Quran, 37.96]

And:

Lo! this is an Admonishment, that whosoever will may choose a way unto his Lord. Yet you will not, unless Allah wills. Lo! Allah is Knower, Wise. He makes whom He will to enter His mercy, and for evil-doers hath prepared a painful doom. [Quran, 76.29-31]

Moral Responsibility

However, it is at the same time true that Allah has made us morally responsible for our acts and it is we who shall be questioned about the choices we made.

Allah tells us that,

We shall question, every one, of what they used to do. [Quran, 15.92-93]

And:

He will not be questioned as to that which He does, but they will be questioned. [Quran, 21.23]

Great Islamic theologians said: Allah has willed that you act based on choice.

As for how this works, it is beyond the understanding of the intellect.

It is important to understand, too, that Allah is as unconditioned by time as He is unconditioned by space: both are His creation, and He is beyond both. As such, Allahs Knowledge, Will, and Power relate to things beyond time. He knows the result from before the match ever happened.

As such, Allahs Knowledge relates to all things necessary, possible, and impossible from pre-eternality. Allahs Will specified some of that which is possible with particulars in pre-eternality, in accordance with His Knowledge. His Power brings things into temporal existence, in accordance to that which His Will specified

The way to understand this is to enlighten ones heart, mind, and soul with remembrance of Allah and recital of His Book with contemplation. Allah tells us,

Is not the time ripe for the hearts of those who believe to submit to Allahs reminder and to the truth which is revealed, that they become not as those who received the scripture of old but the term was prolonged for them and so their hearts were hardened, and many of them are evil-livers. Know that Allah quickens the earth after its death. We have made clear Our revelations for you, that haply you may understand. Lo! those who give alms, both men and women, and lend unto Allah a goodly loan, it will be doubled for them, and theirs will be a rich reward.

And those who believe in Allah and His messengers, they are the loyal, and the martyrs are with their Lord; they have their reward and their light; while as for those who disbelieve and deny Our revelations, they are owners of hell-fire. [Quran, 57.16-19]

And Allah alone gives success.

Source: http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.asp?HD=7&ID=10927

Salahudeen
08-22-2011, 05:28 AM
I was told that it is through God's infinite justice that we take the test because if we did not take the test of life and we were just thrown into hell or paradise it would not be fair since we had not committed the crimes that warrant punishment and we would probably dispute saying I would not have done that how can I be thrown in hell for doing that action when I have not even done it yet.

This way when the day of judgement comes our actions that we have committed will judged by God and established as evidence against us, we won't be able to argue with him cos we know that we done the crimes. If he just put us in hell or paradise without giving us the chance to commit the deeds that will take us to hell or paradise it would be unfair.

Like someone throwing you in prison today for a crime you're going to commit in 10 years time, it would be unfair right? If the police arrested you and said in 10 years time you're going to do this crime so you're going to prison for it today, you would no doubt protest and say it's unfair as you have not done the crime so why should you be punished.

That's how it was explained to me.

GuestFellow
08-25-2011, 03:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AlexIslam
Salaam.

Thanks
Salaam,

We don't know what is going to happen. Allah may know, but I don't know what the outcome will be. So I will continue to practice Islam and find out what will happen once I die. That is the way I see it.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!