/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Worried about white hair.

kingkong
09-04-2011, 01:46 PM
I'm only 25, turning 26 in a fortnight, and I've got a few white hairs. It seems those near to me have accepted this, maybe I have too, but whenever I meet someone who I haven't seen for a long time, they actually stare at the side of my head where there are white hairs. It's starting eat away at me.

DAon't knowwhat to do.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Salahudeen
09-04-2011, 09:28 PM
I understand how you feel, I'm 23 and got white hairs also, I put it down to a few stressful years, I didn't relax instead I worried every night in bed and now I have white hairs, stress can really affect you in a lot of ways, it even affected my skin, you have to learn to relax and not let things bother you for your health, I'm not sure if hair dying is allowed but that's an option if it's halal.

Yanal
09-05-2011, 03:40 AM
I have quite a few too,and i'm younger than both of you,still in my teenage years...I don't worry about it to much.

ardianto
09-05-2011, 04:05 AM
When I was in early 20's age some people told me "Hei, you have FEW white hairs !". Now I have been 44 and people still tell me "Hei, you have FEW white hairs !". Still FEW for more than 20 years.

So, you don't need to be worry. Few white hairs for young guys is normal.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
GuestFellow
09-05-2011, 06:42 AM
Salaam,

Don't worry about it. I heard it is normal.

alhamdulilaah
09-05-2011, 07:22 AM
Asalamu-alaikum, here is what I found about grey hair>>>

The Muslims Grey Hair

The Messenger (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said, “Grey hair is the light of a Muslim (on the Day of Resurrection). No Muslim turns grey in Islam but for every grey hair he will receive one reward and his status will be raised by one degree .”
[Al-Baihaqi - Classed as Sahih by Sh al-Albaani in Silsilat al- Ahaadeeth al-Saheehah (1243)]

Commentary:
Grey hairs will be light for the Muslim on the Day of Resurrection, as is stated many authentic Hadith (such as the above Hadith).
Some of the other ahadith are as follows:

The Messenger of Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said: “If a person’s hair turns grey in Islam, it will be light for him on the Day of Resurrection.” [Classed as Sahih by Sh al-Albaani in at-Tirmidhi]

The Messenger of Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said: “If a person’s hair turns grey for the sake of Allah, it will be light for him on the Day of Resurrection.” [Classed as Sahih by Sh al-Albaani in at-Tirmidhi]

The Messenger of Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said: “Do not pluck out grey hairs, for they will be light on the Day of Resurrection. If a man’s hair turns grey in Islam, for each grey hair he will have one Hasanah (reward) and will rise one degree in status.” [Narrated by Ibn Hibbaan. Al-Albaani said in Silsilat al-Ahadith as-Sahihah (3/247), its Isnaad is HHasan]

The Messenger of Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said: “Grey hair is light on the face of the Muslim. Do you really want to take away your light.” [Silsilat al-Ahadith as-Sahihah (1244)]

These ahadith clearly state that grey hairs will be light for you on the Day of Resurrection under the condition: you go grey in Islam (i.e practising and implementing Islam) in your life.

These ahadith also indicate that it is makrooh (disliked) to pluck out grey hairs from the head and the beard, and there is no difference between them in this ruling, because of the general meaning of these ahadith, they do not apply only to the hair of the head or beard, so it is known that the ruling applies to both.
As for dyeing grey hairs, this is Sunnah and is part of the teachings of Islam. It means dyeing grey hairs on the head and in the beard, for men. For women, it refers to the hair of the head.

The Prophet (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said: “The Jews and the Christians do not dye their hair, so be different from them.” [Al-Bukhari and Muslim]
And Allah knows best!

http://hadithaday.org/horrors-of-the...ims-grey-hair/

alhamdulilaah
09-05-2011, 07:43 AM
And about dyeing grey hair, as I can not see Islam questions and answers website here anymore, found its pages somewhere else.

Islam Questions & Answers
www.islam-qa.com
Question Reference Number:: 7227
Title: Ruling on dyeing grey hairs

Home > Jurisprudence and Islamic Rulings > Customs and traditions > Clothing, adornment and images > Adornments >
Question:

I have noticed that some of my colleagues at work have their beard painted or turned into the black color, and when asked they say that it in the SUNNAH to paint in what is called (katm).
My questions are:
1)-Are we allowed in any way to paint our hair (head or beard) with black even if it is with this KATAM ?
2)-What is this KATAM, does have a black color and is it true that some of the SAHABA used it ?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly: dyeing grey hairs is Sunnah and is part of the teachings of Islam. It means dyeing grey hairs on the head and in the beard, for men. For women, it refers to the hair of the head.

It was reported that Abu Hurayrah said: the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The Jews and the Christians do not dye their hair, so be different from them.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 3275; Muslim, 2103).

It was reported that Abu Umaamah (may Allaah be pleased him) said: “O Ansaar, dye your hair red and yellow, and be different from the A'aajim (Persians).” (Narrated by Ahmad, 21780. The isnaad of this hadeeth was classed as hasan by al-Haafiz Ibn Hajar in al-Fath, 10/354).

Secondly: changing grey hair by dyeing it black is haraam. This is the opinion of the majority of scholars, who forbid it completely, because of the hadeeth of the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), when he saw Abu Quhaafah. Jaabir said: the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him_ said, when he saw his head looking as white as the thaghaamah plant, “Change this…” (Narrated by Muslim, 2102).

And the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: There are people who dye their hair black like the crops of pigeons; they will never smell the fragrance of Paradise.” (Narrated by Abu Dawood, 4212; al-Nasaa'i, 5075).

Ibn Hajar said: the isnaad of this hadeeth is qawiy (strong), but there is some dispute as to whether it is marfoo' (narrated from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)) or mawqoof (the isnaad stops at the Sahaabi). But even if we agree that it is mawqoof, it still has the status of being marfoo', because the Sahaabah would not have spoken on the basis of their own opinions, i.e., it must be something that they heard from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)). Fath al-baari, 6/499.

Thirdly: with regard to katam, Ibn Hajar said:

Katam is a plant from Yemen which produces a reddish-black dye. Henna produces a red dye, so when they are used together as a dye, they produce a colour that is between black and red. Fath al-Baari, 10/355.

Did the Sahaabah use katam? Yes, they did that and so did the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).

It was reported that ‘Uthmaan ibn ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Wahb said: we entered upon Umm Salamah (may Allaah be pleased with her) and she brought out a lock of hair of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) to show us, and it was dyed red. (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5558. Ibn Maajah (3623) and Ahmad (25995) added: “… with henna and katam.”)

The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The best things to use to change grey hair are henna and katam.” (Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 1753; Abu Dawood, 4205; Ibn Maajah, 3622). Al-Tirmidhi said: the hadeeth is hasan saheeh). Abu Bakr (may Allaah be pleased with him) dyed his hair with henna and katam. (Narrated by Muslim, 2341).

Fifthly: it may be noted that in the ahaadeeth where katam is mentioned , it is always accompanied by henna, because what is meant by the ahaadeeth is that the hair should be dyed with katam mixed with henna.

Ibn al-Qayyim said:

What is prohibited is making the hair pure black, but if something else is added to henna, such as katam etc., there is nothing wrong with that. Katam and henna make the hair a colour between red and black, unlike wasmah (woad leaves) which make the hair black as coal. This is saheeh. (Zaad al-Ma'aad, 4/336).

(Wasmah or woad is a plant that is used for dyeing).

Hence we know that katam is not to be used on its own, because it gives a pure, coal-black colour, but it may be used with henna to give a black colour with reddish highlights. Hence we can reconcile the ahaadeeth. And Allaah knows best.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Islam-947...hting-hair.htm

note>> "thaghaamah" (a plant whose flowers and fruit are white)

Another hadith >>

Hadith - Muslim, Narrated 'Ubaid Ibn Juraij radi allahu anha

...And about the dyeing of hair with Hinna; no doubt I saw Allah's Apostle (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) dyeing his hair with it and that is why I like to dye (my hair with it)...

eanaz
09-06-2011, 07:06 AM
My hair starts greying when I'm in my late teens. I'm now in early thirties and my hair is still more black than white. It gives me a matured look all this time.;D

kingkong
09-06-2011, 10:07 AM
I'm not asking for a haraam option or a silly one, I am a man and looks don't matter much to me. But it's the people staring at the white hair that really annoys me. I am happy with my looks, Allah blessed me with what i have and I'm grateful, I have hair, lots of hair and lots of black hair, some people don't have that.

However it's when people are rude enough to actually stare that irritates me. I suppose a few white hairs stand out more than lots of them. Almost like an Englishman would stand out in Kenya.

ardianto
09-06-2011, 11:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by kingkong
I'm not asking for a haraam option or a silly one, I am a man and looks don't matter much to me. But it's the people staring at the white hair that really annoys me. I am happy with my looks, Allah blessed me with what i have and I'm grateful, I have hair, lots of hair and lots of black hair, some people don't have that.

However it's when people are rude enough to actually stare that irritates me. I suppose a few white hairs stand out more than lots of them. Almost like an Englishman would stand out in Kenya
Is there stranger among those people ?.

Since I was young until now people often told me "Hey, you have few white hairs !". All of them are my relatives and my friends. It's means they still have attention to me, they still care on me. Isn't it good ?.

Ramadhan
09-10-2011, 01:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by kingkong
I have hair, lots of hair and lots of black hair, some people don't have that.
I have hair like yours, lots of black hair and very thick with few white hair, and people who cut my hair all told me I won't get bald easily. So there it is, when other men your age start to get bald, you will still have most of your hair and you can stare back at them (or maybe not) :D

noorseeker
09-10-2011, 01:32 AM
I looked at the side of my hair the other day, and i seen quite a few , i was shocked

I showed my cousin and he said theres no point counting as there were a lot

my hair is receeding aswell. it knocks a mans confidence.imsad

Abz2000
09-11-2011, 11:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Salahudeen
I'm not sure if hair dying is allowed but that's an option if it's halal.
Narrated Abu Huraira: "Allah's Apostle said, 'The Jews and the Christians do not dye (their grey hair), so you shall do the opposite of what they do
(i.e. dye your grey hair and beards).' (Translation of Sahih Bukhari, Virtues and Merits of the Prophet (pbuh) and his Companions, Volume 4, Book 56, Number 668)"

the Prophet (pbuh)'s grandfather's name was not 'AbdulMuttalib, it was a knickname given to him after the Quraysh thought he was the servant of AlMuttalib when he was brought back to his paternal side from his maternal side in madinah.
his real name was apparently SHAYBAH - old man - because he had a lock of white hair at birth.

i like the story so i'll share it with you:
In Makkah, Muttalib proved a worthy successor to Hashim, but as he aged he began to grow concerned as to who should succeed him, for history was repeating itself.
His own sons did not share his temperament, and he did not feel they would be adequate guardians of the Ka’bah.
Neither was he impressed by any of his nephews.
However, when his friend Thabit b. Mundhir of Yathrib came to Makkah he gave a glowing report about his neglected Yathribi nephew,
who was developing into an outstanding young man.
By the age of fourteen Shaybah was noble, courageous, generous and compassionate, with the commanding manner of a natural leader.
The possibility of bringing him to Makkah began to intrigue his uncle, even though Thabit was quite certain Salmah would not let him go.

Muttalib decided to keep his plan to himself, but to check the boy out.
He was directed to where he was shooting arrows with his maternal uncles,
and when he saw the lad – the very image of Hashim – Muttalib burst into tears and embraced him.
Salmah was moved, and invited Muttalib to come and live with her, an offer he politely refused.
He insisted that he should take the youth to Makkah until Salmah became angry and declared she would never allow it.
However, using all his powers of persuasion, he was eventually successful where Hashim had failed
- she gave in and agreed to let her son shift to Makkah, where he was promised a great future.

Shaybah becomes known as Abdu’l Muttalib

The youth with the silver lock of hair was sad to leave his mother, but very excited about his new prospects.
He made his entry into Makkah riding proudly behind Muttalib on his camel.
The first person who ran to greet them was a girl of about his own age, Ruqayqah, the daughter of Hashim’s son Sayfi by Tumadir bint Kalda b. Abdu’l Manaf, who then went to tell her family Muttalib had arrived.
Seeing the young stranger riding behind him she jumped to the conclusion he must be a newly-acquired slave,
and this was how the Quraysh greeted him, until Muttalib corrected them.
Thus it was as Shaybah b. Hashim - the boy destined to be the next Guardian of the Ka’bah – entered Makkah that he gained the nickname Abdu’l Muttalib (or slave of Muttalib), a name he cherished proudly and by which he is much better known.

Muttalib kept his promises to Salmah, and when he died, Shaybah/Abdu’l Muttalib took over the siqayah and rifadah, the responsibility of providing food and water for those who came to the Ka’bah.
One of the first assertions of his authority was to put right the injustice done by his uncle Nawfal who had never released their inheritance to himself, his sister and his mother Salmah.
On Salmah’s behalf eighty Khazraj horsemen of Yathrib rallied to defend her son’s cause, and rode to Makkah prepared to fight.
Nawfal was put to shame and backed down, obliged to put right his negligence.

IslamicRevival
09-12-2011, 01:17 AM
Really? Worried about white hair? ..Surely there are more important things to worry about

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!