/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How much do you exercise to improve your health?

Salahudeen
09-04-2011, 10:57 PM
Just wondering, how many people make exercise a daily routine, and what have you noticed from doing exercise regularly? I've found from exercising regularly on a daily basis that I have more energy, and for some strange reason my complexion has improved, not sure why, also aches and pains that I used to get are no longer there.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Salahudeen
09-04-2011, 11:03 PM
Also I forgot to mention, post your daily diets here, what you normally eat every day. No need for pics just how many meals you have and what you eat etc

FS123
09-04-2011, 11:03 PM
I do min 30 mins everyday.

noorseeker
09-04-2011, 11:10 PM
Inshallah i will start soon.

So when do you get the energy, after you do the exercise, you are tired,

I feel all these sleep hormones come on, and feel like a nice sleep

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Salahudeen
09-04-2011, 11:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by noorseeker
Inshallah i will start soon.

So when do you get the energy, after you do the exercise, you are tired,

I feel all these sleep hormones come on, and feel like a nice sleep
After the exercise I'm really energetic for the rest of the day, I feel really good and want to get stuff done, you know when you exercise your body releases feel good chemicals, they're called endorphins I think.

جوري
09-04-2011, 11:15 PM

I exercise five days a week I don't see that option up there :embarrass but sometimes more or less depending on whether I am under the weather or extra frustrated.. and consume 1200 calories a day sometimes a lot less and sometimes I go to 1500 calories. I don't care what the calories come from but I snack on fruits or salad every day..

Salahudeen
09-04-2011, 11:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ
I exercise five days a week I don't see that option up there :embarrass but sometimes more or less depending on whether I am under the weather or extra frustrated..
How long did it take you to get to that level because the most I can do is 3 times a week, my legs don't have the strength or energy to workout any more after 3 work outs in a week, each workout I do is normally 45 mins long. I have led a sedentary life style for the past 3 years, my cardiovascular health improves very slowly compared to when I was younger. It takes a lot more time for my heart to get used to intense exercise and be able to cope with it.

*Yasmin*
09-04-2011, 11:36 PM
i do nothing more than going up and down our house stairs !
my mum says to me: no sport for you untill you fill your body with iron ^^, she says if i go to a gym or something i may die there ! (funny mum!)

جوري
09-05-2011, 12:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Salahudeen
How long did it take you to get to that level because the most I can do is 3 times a week, my legs don't have the strength or energy to workout any more after 3 work outs in a week, each workout I do is normally 45 mins long. I have led a sedentary life style for the past 3 years, my cardiovascular health improves very slowly compared to when I was younger. It takes a lot more time for my heart to get used to intense exercise and be able to cope with it.
I am only motivated by anger.. I jack up my ipod on war nasheeds and imagine myself at battle with IDF pigs or other pigs from the west, have an elaborate fantasy .. it has worked great so far...

FS123
09-05-2011, 12:37 AM

i am only motivated by anger.. I jack up my ipod on war nasheeds and imagine myself at battle with idf pigs or other pigs from the west, have an elaborate fantasy .. It has worked great so far...
lol ;d

GuestFellow
09-05-2011, 12:47 AM
Salaam,

I exercise when I feel like it. I feel great afterwards and a little sleepy.

Innocent Soul
09-05-2011, 12:51 AM
I just walk for 30 minutes from home. Walking alone is not that boring. I don't do much exercise :hmm:.

also aches and pains that I used to get are no longer there.
My leg sometimes aches when I walk during the vacations as I haven't walked for a long time.

, you are tired,
Yeah I feel really tired but have do a lot of things so can't sleep till night.

Muslim Woman
09-05-2011, 01:19 AM
:sl:

one of my favourite quotes : besides eating & sleeping , I don't do any exercises :p

Salahudeen
09-05-2011, 01:39 AM
I think if you exercise often it keeps you looking young, I've noticed people who have professions that are physically demanding age quite well :hmm:

Hamza Asadullah
09-05-2011, 02:19 AM
Just wondering, how many people make exercise a daily routine, and what have you noticed from doing exercise regularly? I've found from exercising regularly on a daily basis that I have more energy, and for some strange reason my complexion has improved, not sure why, also aches and pains that I used to get are no longer there.
Asalaamu Alaikum,

Our Bodies are a loan from Allah

Our bodies are a loan from Allah and if we do not look them then surely they will deteriate quicker and we will be accountable on the day of judgement. There is no doubt that if a person wants to optimize their worship to Allah each day then they must look after their bodies as much as they can by eating healthy and exercising. By doing so one will feel fresher and have more energy as well as feel revitalized and invigorated and have full energy each day to worship Allah as much as possible. By over eating and not exercising one will feel lethargic, tired, lazy and not be productive at all. On top of that over eating and a lack of exercise is causes one of the most deadliest diseases in the world - Heart Disease.

Simple Intentions - Great reward from Allah for healthy eating & exercise

Exercise can be a worship in our daily lives just like any other worship for looking after ones body for the pleasure of Allah is a worship. The greater ones intentions the more reward so make great iontentions everyday that you will eat good and exercise just as much as your body can handle just so that you can look after the body Allah has loaned to you and so that you can become stronger for his worship and live a healthy life so you can optimise worship each day. Also make the same intention for sleeping, eating, drinking even excreting that you are doing so to rid your body of waste and breathing to give full life to your body and mind so that you can function in order to please Allah. These simple intentions taking just a few seconds can make our healthy eating and exercise a source of great reward and the pleasure of Allah.

So start off each day with good intentions for the pleasure of Allah and the WHOLE day can become a source of HUGE rewards.

Suggested routine

After awakening do Sunnah's of waking up, freshen up and have some honey with warm water which is a Sunnah. One should wait a while before eating anything after drinking this mixture so in that time one can do some exercise as early morning exercise before eating anything is proven to use one's fat supplies. If you feel hungry then have something light. I would suggest a small bowl of porridge sweetened with a tea spoon of honey and a tea spoon of black seed oil.

Also make your own mixture of pulses and seeds which you can spoon on your porridge or on yoghurt each morning. The mix should consist of Linseed, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds and flax seeds. The flax seed should be grounded in the last minute as that is the best way to benefit from it. You can make this mix and put it in an airtight container and put one or two tablespoons a day on your breakfast.

Then swiftly walk to the park because it is proven that walking in the park especially early in the morning decreases stress levels and is very beneficial especially taking in the early morning fresh air. If not then go to the gym. The early morning exercise should not be for more than 45 minutes.

Make sure you stretch before and especially after exercising!

There are two options regarding exercising:

Either you can go for 45 minute jog. Or what i do is HIIT (High intensity Interval Training). HIIT is done in half the time so you do it for 20-25 minutes but it is done at high intensity intervals and is proven to be more effective than jogging slowly for 45 minutes. It also burns more fat throughout the day compared to less intensive cardio.

So what i do is first stretch. Then 5 minutes warm up. Then 2 minutes baseline - Which is at an intentsity which is slightly faster than what you are comfortable with. Then i do a pyramid run which is go faster and faster every 30 seconds and then when i have reached a fast pace after a couple of minutes then i gradually slow down again every 30 seconds and eventually end up swiftly walking. Then 2 minutes later you sprint hard for 1 minute then you slow down and jog slowly and then repeat the pyramid process, swiftly walking and then sprinting for a minute. Keep this up for 20-25 minutes then warm down by walking steadily for 5 minutes.

Not only will HIIT improve your stamina and fitness but it will burn more fat than lower intensity training. This is best done on grass or on a treadmill. You can do the same on a hill. Walk up and then speed up gradually and then jog up for 30 seconds and then slow down gradually etc. There are many variations to this i suggested one way of doing it. Try it for a week and see the results.

Make sure you drink plenty of water before and after and some during.

The main thing is LISTEN TO YOUR BODY. If you are tired or exhausted one morning then REST. NEVER overburden your body. You will gradually increase your stamina but never push your body too hard just build up gradually. Whilst exercising i like to listen to Qur'an as it is lovely and peaceful to do so when you are in nice and natural surroundings and it is great reward at the sametime.

Eating healthy

Regarding meals then i personally have smaller portions and eat until satisfied and try not to eat until i am full. In this way you WILL lose weight and at the sametime you will not overeat which is not what a Muslim is meant to do. Have a balanced diet including as many fresh fruit and vegtables as you can eat particularly your greens like Kale, cabbage, spinach etc.

If your going to have carbs then ONLY have brown carbs like brown rice, brown bread and brown pasta. Rather than potato have sweet potato and butternut squash and pumpkin.

Have more vegtables than anything else on your plate. Go for lean meat always. Reduce red meat to once a week. Rest of the week have chicken and fish as well as lentils and pulses which are also very beneficial. I don't eat roti more than once a week as it makes one lethargic and gives you a gut.

Try to have the superfruits as much as you can like blue berry and pomegranate. Have a kiwi a day as it is bursting with vit C. Every morning have grapefruit juice as it is a very beneficial fruit packed with goodness. Tomato juice is also very beneficial especially for well being and promotes healthy glow.

Have a good salad each day with whatever you are eating. Pour some extra virgin olive oil as dressing. Avacados are packed with good fats so cut some onto your salad each day. They are also brilliant for the skin and complexion.

Have a good breakfast. A healthy lunch and a not a heavy evening meal. Try never to eat too late. For snacking have a small handfull of numixed nuts and dried fruit. Not too much. Almonds are the best nuts as are brazil nuts. Dried figs are really nice and beneficial particularly for digestion and are the fruits of Jannah. Yoghurt is another good snack. Put some dried fruit on it or mixed seeds and pulses and sweeten with honey or fruit compote. Alternatively you can have one or two pieces of fruit. Have a minimum of one apple per day at least.

Have plenty of oily fish like Mackeral and sardines as they are packed with Omega 3 oils which are good for the mood. Grill rather than fry. Use olive oil or rapeseed oil rather than vegatable.

Cut out fizzy drinks totally aswell as coffee. Stick with good herbal teas and green tea as it is full of anti oxidants. Have no more than a glass of fruit juice a day as fruit juice is full of calories and is the quickest way of consuming calories fast.

Hope that helps. Whatever happens make sure you make good intentions each day and the name of Allah before and after eating and drinking and during eating and drinking thank Allah for Allah loves it when his slaves thank him during eating and drinking. Make dua that Allah enables you to live a good and healthy life so that you can spend each day worshipping Allah as much as you can inshallah.

FS123
09-05-2011, 04:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Woman

one of my favourite quotes : besides eating & sleeping , I don't do any exercises :p
Thats funny ;D

Muslim Woman
09-05-2011, 04:58 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by FS123
Thats funny ;D

hmm actually that is dangerous for our health :skeleton:
specaially when it can be rewritten like this : besides eating , sleeping & browsing the net , I don't do any exercises :embarrass:hiding:

Who Am I?
09-06-2011, 04:31 PM

I have the thumbs of a Greek god thanks to many hours of Xbox.

That's the only exercise I need.

I am in shape. Round is a shape.

gladTidings
09-06-2011, 05:08 PM

I am only motivated by anger.. I jack up my ipod on war nasheeds and imagine myself at battle with IDF pigs or other pigs from the west, have an elaborate fantasy .. it has worked great so far...
LOL

I have no routine but do exercise when I can (mostly early mornings) or feel I should. I would like to work more on my fitness inshAllah.

Haya emaan
09-06-2011, 06:30 PM
i dont do any exercise at all..

Ghazalah
09-06-2011, 10:13 PM
I go the gym around 3-4 times a week. But during Ramadhan I didn't go so I haven't been for quite a while. I look at people who haven't looked after their body when they were young and it motivates me to not be like them. I need to work on my diet though. Too much coffee and chocolates. :hiding:

Salahudeen
09-06-2011, 10:27 PM
^very important to do it, a life time of bad habits eventually catches up with you in the form of a health problem. I get frustrated when I see family members not living a healthy life style and eating junk food, sipping drinks like Pepsi every day, it drives me :raging:

Ghazalah
09-06-2011, 10:31 PM
sipping drinks like Pepsi every day
Fizzy is so bad for your health its quite shocking. But people drink it without a care in the world. I mainly drink coffee to keep awake in my morning lectures :embarrass can't seem to find a replacement for it yet. :hmm:

Salahudeen
09-06-2011, 10:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ghazalah
Fizzy is so bad for your health its quite shocking. But people drink it without a care in the world. I mainly drink coffee to keep awake in my morning lectures :embarrass can't seem to find a replacement for it yet. :hmm:
I've said that so many times to them till I eventually gave up and just let them destroy their own body :hmm: it came to a point where we'd argue cos they'd get anoyed at me telling them constantly that they shouldn't be drinking that, it's bad for you etc. Now I just keep my mouth closed or use sarcastic humour, like, "you know doctors recommend drinking Pepsi, they say you don't need water in your body only pepsi" ;D;D;D;D;D

Ğħαrєєвαħ
09-06-2011, 10:48 PM
As'Salaam Alaaykum

It makes you feel better, look better and makes you feel happy and it is actually refereshing. Usually if you dont do exercise for a long time and then return to exercise your body aches. I also got told running prevents cancer, to do it on a regular basis, though a doctor told me this.

Who Am I?
09-07-2011, 03:59 PM

I have cut back on caffeine because I've read that it's not good for you. I haven't totally cut it out though (I love tea).

I could diet, but I figure that this life is hard enough without me making it harder on myself. I should at least get to eat what I want.

Eat right, exercise, die anyway.

noorseeker
09-07-2011, 04:09 PM
Not sure if this is true, but doesnt fizzy drinks make you more thirsty, hence you keep on drinking more.

I work nights, so i dont know whats the best time to do it. if i go in the afternoon gym, im going to feel sleepy come 9pm

but no sleep . time for work;D

Salahudeen
09-07-2011, 07:46 PM
Not sure if this is true, but doesnt fizzy drinks make you more thirsty, hence you keep on drinking more.

I work nights, so i dont know whats the best time to do it. if i go in the afternoon gym, im going to feel sleepy come 9pm

but no sleep . time for work;D
They do brother, it's a vicious chain, the more you drink the more thirsty you get because they don't actually hydrate your body,

Eric H
09-08-2011, 07:48 PM
Hi τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ;
I am only motivated by anger..
Going back thirty years I could relate to this, I pushed myself to fairly extreme limits cycling. I gave up smoking and within a year I was cycling about 250 miles in a day, I ended up doing the Paris Breast Paris event which is 1200k in 84 hours, not very fast but I forgot to use gears.

My bike had one gear and a fixed wheel, which means I had to turn the peddles round 80,000 times in the first twenty four hours, and just under a quarter of a million revs in 84 hours.

Now I just go to the gym once a week and push myself fairly hard for a couple of hours.

No more anger now,

Blessings

Eric

GuestFellow
09-08-2011, 10:58 PM

You have more guts than all the male members put together on this forum lol.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
09-08-2011, 11:07 PM
A good source of motivation I guess.

Who Am I?
09-09-2011, 06:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tragic Typos
You have more guts than all the male members put together on this forum lol.

Hey man, I'm a lover of beautiful things. I'm not a fighter.

joyous fairy
09-09-2011, 07:36 PM
I used to do quite a lot of walking and sports while I was at school/college/uni but now I dont do hardly any. Just walk sometimes.

I feel bad imsad I should do more! I want to do lots of sports but there arent any female only sessions :( I should make my own, init?

Salahudeen
09-09-2011, 08:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by joyous fairy
I used to do quite a lot of walking and sports while I was at school/college/uni but now I dont do hardly any. Just walk sometimes.

I feel bad imsad I should do more! I want to do lots of sports but there arent any female only sessions :( I should make my own, init?
You can workout in your home, you don't need women sessions.

joyous fairy
09-09-2011, 08:19 PM
You can workout in your home, you don't need women sessions.
Yes. But what I really want to do is sports, team sports/competitive sports. I dont feel motivated when I'm on my own.

Salahudeen
09-09-2011, 09:01 PM
Yes. But what I really want to do is sports, team sports/competitive sports. I dont feel motivated when I'm on my own.
In that case demand that your local masjid holds classes for sisters such as sisters basketball or some other sport. Tell them to put the donations they receive to good use and provide services for women if they don't all ready. Masjid here offers sports for sisters but out of like 10 masjids only one does, and these masjids receive so much in donations every Friday, I wonder why they aren't offering more services for the community.

Ghazalah
09-09-2011, 09:06 PM
I was the same, even when I'm at the gym, if I'm not listening to anything or don't have someone with me I just get bored quickly. So I booked a local gym, grabbed 10 or so sisters and we have weekly basketball and football games. :D

Revert 2010
09-09-2011, 10:26 PM
I walk for an hour when I get the chance, play regular football and pose on the football pitch and act as if I'm playing ;D.Planning to get back into the gym I have heard of this fitness thingy called Zumba and not sure what this is?

joyous fairy
09-09-2011, 10:41 PM
In that case demand that your local masjid holds classes for sisters such as sisters basketball or some other sport. Tell them to put the donations they receive to good use and provide services for women if they don't all ready. Masjid here offers sports for sisters but out of like 10 masjids only one does, and these masjids receive so much in donations every Friday, I wonder why they aren't offering more services for the community.
:thumbs_up Yep. Good idea but the thing is..they often start classes and at the beginning they have a number of sisters on the lists but by the end of it they all drop out! Its partly the sisters' own fault. They started kickboxing and basketball a while ago but it was at such an inconvenient time that a lot of sisters dropped out :( The summer is a good time for them to hold classes but nobody bothers organising them, with it being good weather and everyone having their own thing to do. :hmm:

format_quote Originally Posted by Ghazalah
I was the same, even when I'm at the gym, if I'm not listening to anything or don't have someone with me I just get bored quickly. So I booked a local gym, grabbed 10 or so sisters and we have weekly basketball and football games. :D
Yeh, Im just too lazy to do things on my own :( What you do is good, MashaAllah :)

Salahudeen
09-09-2011, 10:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Revert 2010
I walk for an hour when I get the chance, play regular football and pose on the football pitch and act as if I'm playing ;D.Planning to get back into the gym I have heard of this fitness thingy called Zumba and not sure what this is?
It's working out by doing Latin dance routine or something

IslamicRevival
09-09-2011, 11:25 PM
I always say im going to exercise but when it gets to it i never do it. Story of my life

*Yasmin*
09-09-2011, 11:54 PM
the thing is i must not lose weight, though i weighed myself yesterday and i found i lost more than 1 kg. (even though i don't do any exercises)
how can i manage doing exercises without losing weight, bearing in mind i don't eat much :( ?

Eric H
09-10-2011, 06:52 AM
Greetings and peace be with you *Yasmin*

If you don't exert yourself you will have little appetite, if you exercise and push yourself hard, then you will feel more hungry.

There was a period in my life when I exercised hard, when I stopped doing the workouts my appetite remained the same and I put on weight.

Take care

Eric

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!