/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Islam's view regarding Social Anxiety?

AllahIsMyGod
09-06-2011, 04:22 PM
Salamu Alaykum brothers and sisters

I suffer from Social Anxiety and im 16 years old, it has ruined my life, it kept me away from social interactions, sometimes im even scared to leave the house. I even get frightened during the Friday salah and i know that Allah SWT made me like this and i have to accept it. I would just like to know, what is Islam's view on this disorder? Like do i have exceptions or am i prohibited from extra things or any ahadeeth related to it etc?

Jazakum Allah Khairan

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
noorseeker
09-07-2011, 06:51 AM
Brother i have s.a

My best advise to you is get help as you are only 16, its a good time to start, i only realised what i had or the name of what i had a few years ago

Dagless
09-07-2011, 03:14 PM
It's an illness like any other and so the exceptions are that of illness.

noorseeker
09-07-2011, 03:58 PM
I cant remember exactly where i saw it, but a brother had extreme case of S.A , and he asked a shaykh if he can be excused fron Jummah, and i think he was told he can.

Theres a few good web sites on the net, i suggest you have a look at them.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Salahudeen
09-07-2011, 07:42 PM
You're not alone many suffer from it, life will throw you challenges that you have to overcome, I remember giving a presentation once and my hands were shaking and I felt like I was having a heart attack, I had to put my hands behind my back so no one noticed, and I just managed to do it, I'm sure people could tell I was nervous but with each presentation it got easier. Maybe things will get easier for you each time your faced with a social situation, I know it's hard because when the anxiety takes over your brain goes dead and you can't think, maybe during the moment tell yourself to just relax, I found reading the du'a of Musa was helpful, do you know it?

AllahIsMyGod
09-08-2011, 06:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Salahudeen
You're not alone many suffer from it, life will throw you challenges that you have to overcome, I remember giving a presentation once and my hands were shaking and I felt like I was having a heart attack, I had to put my hands behind my back so no one noticed, and I just managed to do it, I'm sure people could tell I was nervous but with each presentation it got easier. Maybe things will get easier for you each time your faced with a social situation, I know it's hard because when the anxiety takes over your brain goes dead and you can't think, maybe during the moment tell yourself to just relax, I found reading the du'a of Musa was helpful, do you know it?
Salam bro, yes can you please bi izn l Allah type me the Du3a2 of Musa? :D
Jazaka Allah khairan, thank you

noorseeker
09-08-2011, 06:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AllahIsMyGod
Salam bro, yes can you please bi izn l Allah type me the Du3a2 of Musa?
Jazaka Allah khairan, thank you
I want to memorize this too,

Zakir naik always uses it when he starts his talks.

Tyrion
09-08-2011, 07:28 AM
If it's as serious as you make it seem, then you should go see a professional.

Salahudeen
09-08-2011, 07:31 PM
rab-bishraH liy Sadriy wa yas-sir liy amriy waHlul 'Uqdatam mil lisaaniy yafqahuu qawliy

it's in Surah Ta ha verse 25-28 you can find audio of it here on this link http://www.qurantransliteration.org/quran/020/c20.htm

noorseeker
09-11-2011, 08:41 AM
Its a short dua but very challenging for me to memorise

A big weakness of mine

Salahudeen
09-11-2011, 10:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by noorseeker
Its a short dua but very challenging for me to memorise

A big weakness of mine
Play it over and over, or write it out over and over maybe. If you play it over and over repeat it also.

IslamicRevival
09-11-2011, 10:52 PM
You want some advice? Hold your head high and get out there, F the world.

Salahudeen
09-12-2011, 01:09 AM
@ OP do you have any friends you could go to masjid with? Friends who understand? Sometimes we just need some 1 to hold our hand if that makes sense. I don't mean literally hold your hand I mean just walk by your side.

جوري
09-12-2011, 02:34 AM
This happened to me a couple of years now I am not 16, I am an adult female, I had a horrible incident on a three lane highway where there was no exit for miles.. I was suffocating it came like a ton of bricks and hit me, and it was horrible, of course I convinced myself that it was silly, but every time I drove it happened, then it crept into everything I did, I couldn't go to work, or the supermarket and I was bed bound just like that in a matter of weeks..

I didn't want to take meds for help..people who go down that path stay slaves for the rest of their lives..I took myself out of it by the grace of God but it took a while ..want to tell you the distillate which is good news is that 80% of agoraphobics make a complete recovery ...

So may I recommend this:
http://www.amazon.com/When-Panic-Att...5794702&sr=8-1

It helped me tremendously..I am a kind of do it yourselfer but you may definitely wish to pursue some cognitive behavioral therapy..

and we're all here for you..may Allah swt grant you shiffa'a

ameen

noorseeker
09-12-2011, 06:17 AM
Ive heard about cbt. But there is a long waiting list for you to get it on the NHS.

I find doctors ready to give you pills like they are giving out sweets.

Salahudeen
09-12-2011, 11:07 AM
Ive heard about cbt. But there is a long waiting list for you to get it on the NHS.

Can't you get a CBT book or something and learn the methods yourself?

جوري
09-12-2011, 03:24 PM

I'd recommend you wait the months then.. I don't recommend pills.. in the fact in the interim if you could read the book which is written by a renowned psychiatrist he advises against it.. He does state that it maybe an option for some people but from his years of practice.. undoing the pattern through CBT and other techniques helps the long term recovery rather than simply mask it (if at all)

:w:

Rhubarb Tart
09-12-2011, 04:10 PM

You can do CBT online for free, ask your doctor. They can also give a workbook for CBT in your local library. And look at this site, it is helpful:

http://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/anxiety.htm

noorseeker
09-12-2011, 05:49 PM
Well this friday im gettin A half hour telephone call from a therapist , this has taken 9-10 weeks to get this call, i didnt knw there were that many peple waiting.

But im not sure what to say, or what then next process is, id rather go see someone in person,

and lie on the black sofa;D

Salahudeen
09-14-2011, 05:57 PM
Well this friday im gettin A half hour telephone call from a therapist , this has taken 9-10 weeks to get this call, i didnt knw there were that many peple waiting.

But im not sure what to say, or what then next process is, id rather go see someone in person,

and lie on the black sofa;D
I might have something for you :p I'll try it myself and let you know if its worth it.

noorseeker
09-14-2011, 06:01 PM
I hope the dear brother who started the thread is taking the advice , as i feel the advise is being diverted to me,

But Inshallah we and many others can benefit.

IslamicRevival
09-14-2011, 10:20 PM
Social Anxiety can have devastating effects. Listen to the great advice the posters above have given and seek professional help

Snowflake
09-18-2011, 04:07 PM
:sl:

As said before, you're not alone lil' bro. I'm a mum myself and there're days I cannot answer the door or phone, reply emails, and even interact on the internet! Bro salahuddin mentioned CBT. This therapy can help you immensely. Myself can't even make it to the appointments. But if you can, please go. You don't have to live like this anymore.

noorseeker
09-18-2011, 05:10 PM
Ok i did have my half hour consultation, i didnt plan on what to say, but it was nice having someone listening to you, and getting advive

I was given a website to go to , i will post link at the bottom , where there is audio or written material for you to go through, not just with S.A , but many different probs.

And i have been refered to a cbt counsellor. Inshallah the wait is not too long.

here that link again www.ntw.nhs.uk/pic

Type in social anxiety in the search button, you got a choice of a male or female voice,

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!