/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Long garments

Alpha Dude
09-08-2011, 01:58 PM
:sl:

Sisters tend to wear long overflowing abayas and other articles of clothing which undoubtedly drag across the floor as they walk. Brohters have long thobes and such which can also drag.

I think we need to be a little cautious with our garments to ensure we don't make them unclean and unfit for salah/prayer.

I appreciate that certainty doesn't get removed by doubt, so: even though there might be a plethora of dirt gathered at the bottom of an abaya, it might not be considered najis/unclean in the sense that it breaks salah.

However, shouldn't we make sure our clothes don't accumulate dirt in any case? Doesn't it just seem like common-sense to not walk with long flowing garments that can drag and catch mud and all sorts of other dirt?

I see loads of examples of this. Maybe people simply don't realise what they are inadvertently doing. Long overflowing clothes would almost certainly end up touching the ground when one answers the call of nature.

A sister mentioned once how she's seen other sisters go into the bathroom wearing long dragging clothing then go on to pray in the same clothes. Who knows what filth might have been on the floor there? Again, her salah would be considered valid inshaAllah due to certainty not being broken by doubt but in the practical sense, it can be assumed that there would be some level of filth on the floor of a public toilet.

As we know, cleanliness is an extremely important facet of deen so I think we need to be more careful in this matter. No need to be ocd about it but just take the general precaution of ensuring clothes don't touch dirty places.

Something that's been on my mind for a while.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Salahudeen
09-08-2011, 08:30 PM
I've thought the same thing too

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!