/* */

PDA

View Full Version : A bit of a self study

Darth Ultor
09-09-2011, 09:47 PM
Most members here are devout Muslims obviously. But suppose you lived in the time of Muhammad in Makkah. Would you have been one of his original followers? Pretend you knew nothing about God for a moment and were brought up to believe the polytheist religion there. Also think about now, how you react to things so contrary to your beliefs be it political, religious, or general. Would you have immediately become Muslims or would you have waited for proofs?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Salahudeen
09-09-2011, 09:56 PM
I've thought about this, we can't really say for sure because we've never been there, we can just guess what we would've done, and I think after seeing the moon split in half and knowing Muhammed (saw) background as an honest and truthful man all his life, and knowing that he stands to gain nothing in terms of wealth, popularity, from preaching Islam I would have accepted. He could of had a much easier life had he not preached Islam and this would've made me think why would somebody put themselves through this hardship unless they were being inspired by God. He came from the highest of lineages which means he wasn't from among the poor people of the society who was seeking wealth and respect, he all ready had this due to his lineage, and he gave up that easy life for a life of hardship and struggle.

~Raindrop~
09-09-2011, 10:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Boaz
But suppose you lived in the time of Muhammad in Makkah. Would you have been one of his original followers?
I've thought this many times, and each time it makes me more grateful for the fact that Allah swt gave me the gift that is Islam from the moment I was born.

Sometimes, when I really wish that I had been around at the time of the Prophet :saws:, this question springs to mind. I don't know what I would have done. Again, it makes me feel grateful to Allah for making everything so easy.

جوري
09-09-2011, 10:28 PM
I'd be the same person then that I am now.. I was born to a faith, rebelled against it in my teens and early twenties, then chose my faith for myself.. I mean honestly doesn't every body? at some point we all think about the meaning of life, religion etc.. Abraham (PBUH) did it, all the prophets did it without books etc..It is innate in us to want to find our way to walk aright..

peace

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ğħαrєєвαħ
09-09-2011, 10:35 PM
Greetings of peace

Most members here are devout Muslims obviously. But suppose you lived in the time of Muhammad in Makkah. Would you have been one of his original followers? Pretend you knew nothing about God for a moment and were brought up to believe the polytheist religion there. Also think about now, how you react to things so contrary to your beliefs be it political, religious, or general. Would you have immediately become Muslims or would you have waited for proofs?
Well, there are followers of Muhammad (SAW) today, and there were also a lot of followers in his time, many accepted Islaam due to his character alone. Also there were people in the time of the prophet (saw) who chose to reject him as there are also today.

If I would pretend I knew nothing about God, I have imagined that, its something natural and not something I feel comfortable with accepting, in other words almost impossible for me to not accept. As there is so much proof of the existence of God, learning the reasons of why we exist is something one should look into, it is a essential part of life.

The fact is I am not a Muslim because my family was muslim or relatives and so on, but I looked into the religion and other religions, and all came down to Islam making perfect sense, and also by seeking out for God Allmighty's help. I always believed there is Only One God and that if he was going to send guidance it would be perfect, make sense and pure, i.e. those who brought the message were pure.

Having Proof is not always so essential, the fact that something makes sense and doesn't contradict itself is enough to have one accept. To have faith proof isnt required, proof is something which we have amongst us everywhere, whenever you focus on the creation of God, this is proof, we glorify the lord of this creation. And then have something that connects together with this proof is like a miracle. The belief of One God, all messengers were sent as a guidance to guide their nations to the truth, unto the final messenger (saw) which was sent for the whole of mankind, the way they bought it was beautiful, we have something to learn from the lives of these prophets. What I mean is that we already have so many proof's, there are enough proof's for one to believe. But then again this is most likely my point of view, so many will disagree, and feel free to do so.

please correct me if I said anything wrong..

Perseveranze
09-09-2011, 11:07 PM
There must've been alot of proofs considering the overwhelming majority became Muslim. This includes the Jews and Meccan's who were free to leave in peace once Muhammad(pbuh) had conquered Mecca.

Also, do not forget;

- His enemies said that they don't reject him, as they know he's a good person and known as "al-ameen"(trustworthy one), however they reject what they deemed as as Blasphemoues message against their idol gods.
- His enemies litterally believed he was a magician (because they had no other logical explanation).
Narrating the circumstances in which such verse was revealed, our Mother Aisha (may Allah be pleased with her) said:

The Prophet was vigilant one night and when he reached Medina , he said, "Would that a pious man from my companions guard me tonight!" Suddenly we heard the clatter of arms. He said, "Who is that?" They (The new comers) replied, "We are Sad and Hothaifa and we have come to guard you." So, the Prophet slept (that night). Then this verse came down, so Allah’s Messenger (PBUH) looked out of the house and said: “O people, leave now for Allah (the Almighty) had prevented me”. Narrated by Al Qurtubi.

( O you Messenger, proclaim whatever has been sent down to you from your Lord; and in case you do not perform (that), then in no way have you proclaimed His Message; and Allah safeguards you from mankind. Surely Allah does not guide the disbelieving people ) (al-Maedah:5:67)

A Belgium scholar had been studying the biography of Allah’s Messenger (PBUH) until she reached this point, where she stopped and said: “If that man was deceiving all the people he wouldn’t deceive himself and had he not been sure that Allah (the Almighty) is protecting him he wouldn’t have done so (dismissing the guards) such experiment which proves his trust in his Creator. Hence I say with utmost belief: There’s no God But Allah and Muhammad is his Messenger.
As for whether I would have become a Muslim then, who knows but Allah(swt). I can't arrogantly say "yes I would be Muslim", because those times were a great test for a specific set of people. Brothers would fight fathers and vice versa.

But how commited they were to rightousness and truth that they would give up prostitution, very large polygamous marraiges, alcohol, gambling, drugs, enmity, corruption, oppression of slaves/the weak and other foolish practices which at that time was the "norm".

Amazing... pre Islamic arabia, if someone who owned a camel died, they'd lock the camel on top of his grave, for it to starve/rot to death... and this was "normal".

IslamicRevival
09-09-2011, 11:22 PM
Yes, No doubt about it in my mind. What i would give to be born in our Beloved Prophet Muhammad Peace be upon him time

GuestFellow
09-09-2011, 11:35 PM
I'll be honest. I'm not the type of person to believe something so quickly, even when there is proof in front of me. I would have taken some time to convert. I'm very open minded and curious, so I would have definitely listened to what Prophet Muhammad (P.B.U.B) had to say.

Maryan0
09-09-2011, 11:51 PM
Alhamdulilah that I was born a Muslim. My traditions and the beliefs of my family matter a lot to me like they did to the people of Mecca, maybe more than they should. I'm a pretty hard headed person but at the same time I try to keep an open mind and I follow Islam because it makes sense to me. If I hadlived then I do think I would have become Muslim eventually but it would have taken time and a lot of questions.
Salam

joyous fairy
09-09-2011, 11:56 PM
I agree with those who are saying we cannot know for sure what we would have done at the time of The Prophet (SAW). That was a completely different time altogether, socially, politically, economically, religiously etc. We would have to think about all other factors and even nowadays it is hard for some people to convert because of these issues. I know a few reverts who had to wait before taking their Shahada because of family issues.

Ideally I would like to think I would have converted. But I always think about this and in my heart, I think that obviously I was/am not a strong enough person for Allah (SWT) not to have included me as one of the Blessed Sahaba (RA).

I must also echo what Aisha has said. I can only be grateful that I was born and raised in a Muslim family, Alhamdulillah!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!