/* */

PDA

View Full Version : 10 Years after the Most Traumatic Day in American History

MustafaMc
09-10-2011, 12:28 PM
Below is a speech I made at an inter-faith memorial service at a local Jewish synagogue:

Hello, my name is Mustafa and I am a Muslim. These days, particularly after 9/11, introducing one’s self like this is a lot like standing before an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting and saying hesitatingly, “Hello, my name is Mike and ... I am an alcoholic.” I am by no means ashamed to be a Muslim, but I am sure you would agree there is a negative stigma attached to the words "Muslim" and "Islam" in the minds of most Americans.

Before I proceed I want to make it absolutely clear that I personally condemn and utterly disapprove of the perpetrators of the atrocious attacks 10 years ago. This horrific event made an indelible imprint on the psyche of most Americans, including myself. I want you to know that I have never met a single Muslim who was happy and celebrated that the Twin Towers were attacked and that they collapsed. I whole-heartedly agree with a statement by the Council on American-Islamic Relations, “Islam strictly condemns religious extremism and the use of violence against innocent lives. There is no justification in Islam for extremism or terrorism. Targeting civilians’ life and property through suicide bombings or any other method of attack is haram – or forbidden - and those who commit these barbaric acts are criminals, not “martyrs.” A recent poll by the Pew Research Center indicated that 81% of American Muslims would also agree that suicide bombing and violence against civilians are never justified. My heart goes out to the 3,000 people who died that day and their families, most particularly to the brave firefighters who gave their lives trying to rescue people from these buildings before their collapse.

I don’t intend to distract from remembering these people, but I want to share my experience and perspective on 9/11 and since then as a Muslim. I am from Mississippi and I grew up as a Baptist. I became a Muslim in 1982 while I was going to college at Mississippi State University. I had a room mate from Iran and I read parts of his Quran about Jesus and Mary. When I saw that the view of God in the Quran was more consistent with the Old Testament and was more logical for God to be One without father or son or equal, I chose Islam as my religion. Adjusting to Islam was quite difficult for me. One of the difficulties I had was the association of Muslims with terrorism and suicide bombings in Israel. I did not and still do not agree with anyone who would do such a thing. I stopped practicing Islam in late 1985 in large part because of the stigma of being associated with terrorism that I did not agree with.

After I reached 40 years old, my own mortality struck me. I realized that I would one day die and have to give an account before God for how I lived my life. I knew that I could not use the excuse that someone blew himself up along with innocent people in the name of Islam as the reason why I did not pray and worship God. I decided to practice Islam – in June 2001 while on a vacation in San Diego. Then shortly afterwards came September 11 and once again Muslims were associated with terrorism. This was a severe test for me as to whether or not to stay on the path that I had chosen. I studied and read a lot about both 9/11 and Islam and I have come to the conclusion that these actions are not taught by Islam and neither are they endorsed by Muslims. I decided to continue to practice Islam regardless of the cost – whether or not I would lose my job, or my family would fall apart, or whether or not I would be arrested and imprisoned for being a Muslim. Thankfully, none of those things happened and I have been consistent in my practice of Islam and continued to grow in my faith.

Even though I haven’t had any personal problems or difficulties with practicing Islam, I see a disturbing trend in America where Islam continues to be vilified and Muslims are demonized. Last September I attended a seminar “Revealing the Truth about Islam” that was presented in the small country church that I attended while growing up near Pascagoula. There was some accurate information presented, but the gist of the 2-hour presentation was that Muslims are commanded to kill the infidel including Christians and that if Islam spread, it would take over America and there will be no more Christianity here. I disagree with this assessment as Islam teaches ‘there is no compulsion in religion’. I am anxious and somewhat fearful for what the future holds for Muslims in America, but I believe that increased interactions between Muslims and the American people such as this meeting tonight will show that Muslims aren’t the evil bogey man that they are portrayed to be. Although most Muslims look different from you and I, they typically want the same things such as freedom to practice their religion, equal opportunity for an education and meaningful employment, and a peaceful environment in which to live and to raise their children.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Danah
09-10-2011, 02:10 PM
:sl:

Very good speech mashaAllah, JazakAllah khair for sharing.

I think its good to hear opinions regard that event from American-Muslims who will be more acceptable to be heard in the west and US than other Muslims, hence clarifying the most common misconception about Islam which is terrorism.

Abz2000
09-10-2011, 02:24 PM

Zafran
09-10-2011, 03:11 PM
salaam

nice speech

peace

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
SFatima
09-10-2011, 08:08 PM
very good speech, liked the opening especially! :)

MustafaMc
09-10-2011, 09:30 PM
Thank you all for your kind comments. The point is that the mind set for most Americans in their perceptions about Muslims is different from the reality. I accepted the opportunity to share what that day meant for me as a Muslim.

I have said, heard and read nothing but condemnation for the perpetrators of 9/11, but yet I still hear "Why aren't you Muslims more vocal in speaking out against terrorism?" I am not sure what else we can do. Maybe they are expecting us to apologize. After the memorial service a reporter from the local newspaper approached me and asked, "Did I understand that you were apologizing for 9/11?" I said, "No, I condemn the perpetrators, but I don't apologize because I didn't do it and I don't accept responsibility. Neither I nor Islam had anything to do with it." I am interested in saying what I will be quoted as saying in the newspaper.

Definition of apologize: 1) to express or make an apology; acknowledge failings or faults 2) to make a formal defense in speech or writing. Apology: a verbal or written expression of regret or contrition for a fault or failing

Regarding 9/11 I don't acknowledge personal or group responsibility for this offense, fault or failing, nor do I defend it as justified because it was not in any sense of the word. I completely disassociate myself, Islam and Muslims from this horrific day despite the claim (not backed up with evidence) that some few Muslims hijacked planes and flew them into these buildings. These so-called Muslims also supposedly visited bars where a Quran was left behind and paid strippers to perform 'lap dances'. This point was also brought up last night after the meeting and I pointed to myself and other Muslims in the room and said "We don't drink alcohol and we don't visit 'strip clubs'. Maybe that will give you something to think about."

Nate
09-14-2011, 05:10 AM
The Church scares me, my neighbor one asked me if there was anything she should be worried about with me, I aske why she said that her pasture had told the church to watch for people that may be suspicious, and they gave a list of things to watch for, I guess being arab and liking guns put me at the top of her list, even after knowing her for years, wait till she finds out I converted to Islam

جوري
09-14-2011, 05:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nate
The Church scares me, my neighbor one asked me if there was anything she should be worried about with me, I aske why she said that her pasture had told the church to watch for people that may be suspicious, and they gave a list of things to watch for, I guess being arab and liking guns put me at the top of her list, even after knowing her for years, wait till she finds out I converted to Islam
:haha: she sounds like a complete dolt!

Nate
09-14-2011, 05:31 AM
yea I dont think she has ever seen a "scary Muslim" ;D

Eric H
09-14-2011, 06:56 AM
Greetings and peace be with you MustafaMc; I like reading your posts, and the way you seem to grow in faith, thanks for all you do.

I believe people remember 9 / 11 for the wrong reasons, it is the day twenty five thousand children died from grinding poverty, starvation and preventable diseases. These children are from all faiths and no faith. We also forget 10 / 11 and 11 / 11 when twenty five thousand more children died on these days, tens of millions of children have starved to death since, and the world takes no notice. Yet we seem to mourn the loss of wealth and wealthy people more

The world has the solution in its hand, and I believe interfaith cooperation is at the heart of the solution.

In the spirit of praying for justice for all people

Eric

MustafaMc
09-14-2011, 12:20 PM
Greetings Eric H, thank you for your kind comments. I have never agreed with terrorism although I can see how one under oppressive rule without the means to confront the other on equal terms may resort to asymmetrical warfare. Still that doesn't justify suicide or murder of innocent people. I agree with you that people focus on what is most sensational, but forget the everyday suffering of the masses. After 9/11 there was talk at work about it as justification for invading Afghanistan and I remember saying that we would be better off as a country to absorb this blow and instead work much more aggressively on humanitarian aid and helping these people rebuild their country after the war with USSR.

MartyrX
09-14-2011, 04:39 PM
I loved what you said and it's very heartfelt. I'm glad you shared it with us.

Who Am I?
09-14-2011, 04:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nate
:sl:

Heh. Where I live, everyone carries a gun (except me. I've never needed to carry one), and most people profess to be Christians. Many of my Christian friends have an arsenal in their house. I am far more afraid of them than they are of me.

Anyway, as far as 9/11 goes, I once bought into the lie. I once hated Islam and Muslims. I wanted every Muslim to die the day 9/11 happened. I was ready to go to war with Islam. I thought about trying to re-enlist in the Army for a time.

I am glad that I did not. I know the lies of 9/11 now. I don't believe in the so-called "War on Terror". I never did think the invasion of Iraq or Afghanistan was justified even when I hated Islam. But I would have gone, for the chance to kill people and break things.

I was much more angry then even than I am now, and foolish.

MustafaMc
09-14-2011, 11:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by JeffX
I loved what you said and it's very heartfelt. I'm glad you shared it with us.
Thank you JeffX. Yes, it was heartfelt and I almost got emotional during the delivery to the Jewish congregation. I wanted to share it here to let it be known without doubt that I don't agree with terrorism, particularly any done in the name of Islam.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!