/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Brothers For The Sake Of Allah | Keep A Beard | Lengthen The Beards | Size Of Fist |

A-Brother
09-11-2011, 07:21 PM
Bismillahirahmaniraheem
Assalamu alaykum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh
Sunday 14 August 2011 | 14 Ramadhaan 1432 AH

Stop Cutting! - Lengthen Your Beard
Source - Inter-Islam Website

Watch The Live Broadcast Of Prayers From Makkah And Madinah Live Including 24 Hour Broadcast

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE READ AND SPREAD THE MESSAGE VIA EMAIL AND OTHER WAYS OF COMMUNICATION AS NOT MANY PEOPLE READ FORUMS ETC. GET REWARD FOR SOMEONE ELSE CARRYING OUT A DEED. INVEST FOR THE HEREAFTER.HOW EASY IS THIS. WHEN WE ARE NEED OF HELP ON THE DAY OF QIYAMAH. IF THE BELOVED PROPHET WON'T LOOK AT US, THEN WHO WILL BE WILLING TO HELP? BUMP THIS THREAD AGAIN AND AGAIN AND SHARE THE IMPORTANCE
'Whomsoever guides towards a goodness, will get virtues equal to the one who performs that goodness.' [Muslim]

Stop Cutting! - Lengthen Your Beard

The society we live in today has had a great impact not only on Muslims but on many other religious people too. This is to such an extent that people are often ready to criticise an injunction of their faith merely because it does not comply with ways, fads or modes of today’s society.

Is this what we call faith?

All religious scholars are unanimous that that all Prophets kept beards. Furthermore, the Prophets have classified the beard as something (that is) part of nature (Fitrah). ‘Allamah Suyuti explains human nature is based on keeping a beard and does not need a special order to be part of a particular faith. Thus, the beard is part of human nature to which all humans (men) have to adhere.

The Prophet of Allah mentions in a Hadeeth 10 points of nature. Out of these ten, he mentions is the lengthening of the beard. Allah the Almighty narrates the incident when Sayyiduna Harun Alaihissalam calls out to his brother Sayyiduna Musa , “O son of my mother! Do not seize (me) by my beard, and nor by my head.” (94:20)

This verse clearly shows that Prophet Harun had a lengthy beard.

The first nation ever to shave their beards was the nation to whom Allah the Almighty sent Sayyiduna Lut , the people of Sadoom ( Sodom). Hadhrat Hasan Basri reports a Hadeeth that the nation of Lut was punished for 10 sins they committed; the Prophet mentioned ‘trimming the beard’ from the 10 sins. These sins then resulted in severe punishments from Allah the Almighty as mentioned in the Holy Quran in numerous chapters. Gradually other nations also started to trim and shave their beards but were less in number. However in the 17th century, the King of Russia, Patrice propagated ‘shaving of the beard’ in Europe and was successful in his mission. In the 20th century, the Ottoman Empire collapsed and modern influences swamped nations. By the mid 20th century, these influences had penetrated the Muslim world, which has gradually resulted on corrupting Muslims. Today, this is the reason why we see that most Muslims unfortunately either trim their beard or shave it off.

We have to remember that cultures change day in day out, cultures are man made; hung on man’s ideologies, perceptions and ideas. On the other hand, the Shariah, the Islamic holy divine law is from Allah the creator of all, who is the best of all planners. The Shariah is such that it is compatible to every era till the day of judgement.

In the Shariah (Islamic law), it is Haram (unlawful) for men to shave the beard, this ruling is with the Ijma (consensus) of the scholars of all the Schools of Thought. Among the scholars who have attested to this consensus, include Allamah Mahmood Khattab 6, Allamah Anwar Shah Kashmiri Hanafi, Allamah Muhammad Ashraf Ali Thanwi, Allamah Hasfaki, Allamah Kamal Ibn Al-Humam Hanafi, Sheikh Ahmad Nafrawi Maliki, Allamah Abu Muhammad Ibn Hazm Zahiri, Allaamah Shaykh ul islaam Ibn Tayimyyah, and many other scholars.

Various present day scholars have misunderstood from what some Shafiee scholars have stated that to shave the beard is Makrooh (disliked). This has been mentioned by Imam Nawawi, Rafi’ee. Allamah Abbadi states, Allamah Ibn Rif’aah refutes this, as Imam Shafiee has mentioned in his famous work Kitab Al-umm, which is thought to be one of his final works: “to shave the beard is Haram.”

This has also been mentioned by Allamah Haleemi, Allamah Qaffal Shashi, Allamah Azrai and many other Shafiee scholars.

There are many Ahadeeth, which clearly state the above. Primarily the famous Hadeeth narrated on the authority of ‘Abdullah Ibn ‘Umar and others that the Prophet ordered us to lengthen our beards. This Hadeeth has been narrated with six different words, all of which refer to lengthening the beard and leaving it alone without interfering. This is why in the Shariah (Islamic law) if one was to shave the beard or trim it to less than a fist length then he will be sinful. Allamah Anwar Shah Kashmiri writes,“None of the scholars have permitted trimming the beard to less than a fist length.” Various other scholars such as Allamah Hasfaki, Allamah Ashraf Ali Thanwi and Mufti Rasheed Ahmad have mentioned similar to this.

The Prophet ’s beard was dense, and would cover his chest. The Sahaba realised, by the movement of he ’s beard, that the prophet would recite from the Holy Quran in Zuhr and Asr; clearly indicating that the beard was lengthy. In the same manner Hadhrat Abu bakr and Umar possessed a dense beard. Hadhrat Uthman possessed a fine beard stretched out in length where as Hadhrat Ali’s beard was spread in width covering the area between his shoulders. Therefore, when the Prophet ordered us to legthen our beards we have to follow his and his Sahaba’s Sunnah and their method of keeping a beard. The Prophet says, “Hold fast unto my ways and the ways of the guided caliphs after me.”

Hadhrat Molana Hussein Ahmad Madni writes, “It is clearly narrated from Hadhrat Umar , Ammar Ibn Yasir , Abdullah Ibn Umar and Jabir that their beards were more than a fist length, and they would order the Muslims to do the same.” Hadhrat Sheikh Moulana Muhammad Zakaria writes, “It has not been narrated from any of the Sahabah that they trimmed their beards to less than a fist”. When Abdullah Ibn Umar would perform Hajj or Umrah, he would hold on to his beard with his fist and trim the remaining. In reality, we have explicitly been ordered to increase and lengthen our beards without any interference whatsoever, but as Abdullah Ibn Umar and other Sahaba would often trim their beards up to a fist length, the scholars have given permission to do this.

In the eighth year of Hijri, the Prophet sent a letter with Hadhrat Abdullah Ibn Huthafah to Feroz, the king of Persia. Feroz tore the letter apart and ordered Bazan, the king of Yemen to send two officers to the Prophet to kidnap him. They arrived in Madinah Munawwarah, on seeing the Prophet , started to shiver. However the Prophet asked them, “Who ordered you to leave your moustache and shave your beard?” They replied, “Our Lord” (referring to their King). The Prophet declared, “But my Lord orders me to trim the moustache and lengthen the beard”. Those who shave their beards should decide for themselves whether their Lord is Allah or someone else! Just imagine how much pain the Prophet must be going through due to all of those people who shave, as these two men were fire worshippers, but never the less, the Prophet could not bear to look at their faces.

Some people have a misconception that lengthening the beard is unattractive. This view is seriously flawed as the Prophets especially Sayyiduna Muhammad possessed great beauty as Allah the almighty chooses those who are perfect in character and creation. It is reported in a narration, “Allah the Almighty sent each and every Prophet with a beautiful face and a melodious voice.” Many Sahaba relate that the Prophet possessed the most beautiful face.

Allah the most wise has distinguished between men and women just as he has distinguished between the male and female animals; and the distinguishing feature in itself holds great beauty. Allah the almighty mentions some of his bounties he has bestowed upon Mankind, he says “He (Allah) fashioned you and perfected your shapes.” (64:40) Some scholars narrate a weak narration “Glory to the one who beautified the men with beards and the women with plaits”. Allamah IbnAl-Qayyim explains, “The beard has many benefits, such as beauty and dignity.”

In many Ahadeeth, the prophet has cursed men who imitate women and those women who imitate men. There is no doubt that shaving the beard is a clear imitation of a woman’s face.

Many scholars have stated that shaving the beard is Tagyeeru Khalqillah (changing the creation of Allah). Allah mentions in the Holy Quran the promise of Satan, “Indeed I will order them (Mankind) to change the nature created by Allah” (4:119). In effect, the one who shaves his beard is obeying Satan. The great Caliph Umar Ibn Abdul Aziz would say, “Shaving the beard is Muthlah (mutilation). Verily the Prophet has prohibited Muthlah”. A similar verdict has also been narrated from the great Imam of Madina Munawwarah, Imam Malik.

The sin of shaving the beard is not only a Kabirah (Major) sin, but it is also Bagawah (open offence). The prophet says, “My nation will be forgiven except those who sin in the night and then boast about their sin the following day.” Although one may not boast about this sin verbally but indirectly, he will boast by showing his face to the people. Some sins are limited to the time of the act or omission, for example, Zina (adultery & fornication) is a grave sin; the sinner is sinning for the duration of that act. Whereas this sin’s time remains for as long as the beard remains shaven or trimmed to less than a fist’s length. The person will be regarded a sinner for every second his face is devoid of a proper beard, therefore sinning for that entire time span. this means it's severity aggregates and persists more than other sins.

In the aftermath of the Tsunami disaster, many Muslims attained the status of Shahadah (Martyrdom). Due to the excess amount of bodies it was difficult to identify each individual. Regarding Salat Ul-Janazah the problem arose that how will we be able to differentiate between a Muslim and non-Muslim? Finally, it was decided that the prayer would be lead upon those deceased who possessed beards. People in the world have hopes that people will benefit them after their death, by performing Salat Al-Janazah and carrying out other deeds. However, in a situation like this, would this be possible?

Similarly in the grave when the deceased is asked, one of the questions is, “What would you say about this person? (Referring to the Prophet ) Some scholars are to the opinion that the Prophet will be present in front of the deceased! How do you think the Prophet will react when he sees a person who has shaved his beard?

Furthermore, on the day of judgement when the Prophet will intercede for the Ummah and quench the thirst of the Ummah at the Hawdh of Kauthar, the angels will stop some of the people. The Prophet will say that these people are from my Ummah (nation); thus let them proceed. The angels will reply, “You do not know what innovations they invented after you”. The Prophet will reply “Destruction for those who innovated after me”. A point to ponder upon is that the Prophet will not recognise these innovators because they will possess beards and their outer Islamic appearance, so what about those who do not possess beards. The Prophet will not need to be informed that these were innovators, as he mentions in another Hadeeth that the deceased will be resurrected in the condition he died in. The Prophet will not even look at these people just as this would hurt the Prophet . The Prophet says, “Whoever so hurts me, displeases Allah. And who ever displeases Allah, is likely to be punished.”

People claim to love the Prophet but still do not keep a beard. What kind of love is this? There was once a poet in the city of Delhi , Mirza Qateel, famous for praising the Prophet . An Iranian citizen decided to visit this poet assuming that he was a great pious scholar. On arriving in Delhi, he was informed that this poet has gone to the barbers. He proceeds towards the barbers and what does he see? The poet is having his beard shaved. He cries out “’O’ the one who claims to love the Prophet , you are shaving your beard!” The poet replies “yes, but I am not hurting anyone’s feelings”, they continued their debate. Finally, the Iranian exclaimed, “you claim that you are not hurting anyone’s feelings, I warn you that you are hurting the feelings of the one who is the leader in this world and the hereafter, the Prophet ”. On hearing this remark, he fainted, when he regained consciousness he accepted and admitted his mistake, repented to Allah, The most forgiving and thanked the Iranian for guiding him.

In reality when a person loves someone, he will fulfil every command of his. We cannot see the love a person possesses in his heart for someone except by his actions. We have been guided to judge people according to their apparent and visible actions. The Prophet has repeatedly said, “I have not been ordered to cut open the hearts of people.” (to see their intention) When a disbeliever recites the Shahadah, he will be classified as a Muslim, despite of what his beliefs are in reality. Thus if a person shaves his beard it cannot be judged that he loves the Prophet . Nowadays we see the love people possess for celebrities and football players, which is evident; people are ready to dress the way they dress, live the way they live; emulating them in every way possible, so why is it that people are not ready to accept the Sunnah of the Prophet ?

Unfortunately, many Muslims nowadays mock and joke about the beard. If someone has a beard, he is labelled a ‘beast’. To make a mockery of any minor order of the Shariah is KUFR without any doubt; the same applies to undermining a sin. The great Muhaddith Allamah Ahmad Ibn Muhammad Ibn Siddiq Al-Gimari says, “To mock the beard is KUFR with the consensus of all the Muslims”. The consequences of this would be that the Nikah (Marriage) would invalidate and renewing the Imaan (faith) will be necessary.

Click The Following Link:

Beautiful Sunnats Of The Beloved Nabi | Online Book | 37 Pages | Free Download |FREE!
http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/show...EE!&highlight=

Very Easy!How To Perform Umrah | Hajj AND Ziyaarah BOOKS | Downloadable | Purchasable
http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/show...ble&highlight=

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Tyrion
09-11-2011, 07:28 PM
Stop worrying about other people's facial hair and go do something more productive with your time.

Beardo
09-11-2011, 07:31 PM
^I wouldn't toss it out completely. I'm trying to grow mine back to the fist-length it once almost was. Never shaved, Alhamdulillah.

Salahudeen
09-11-2011, 09:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tyrion
Stop worrying about other people's facial hair and go do something more productive with your time.
Some people class encouraging other people to follow the Sunnah and obeying the commandments of the prophet, as one of the most productive things an individual can do.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
noorseeker
09-11-2011, 09:36 PM
Re: Brothers For The Sake Of Allah | Keep A Beard | Lengthen The Beards | Size Of Fis

i agree with saludeen, the brother is doing something productive,

We can say to you dont post in this forum , and do something more productive,

or dont worry if about people not praying, or dont worry about people fornicating or dont worry about people getting intoxicated.

Where shall it end

GuestFellow
09-11-2011, 09:47 PM
Salaam,

He is doing something productive. What is wrong with informing Muslim men to grow their beards? It's part of the Sunnah.

A-Brother
09-11-2011, 10:51 PM
'Whomsoever guides towards a goodness, will get virtues equal to the one who performs that goodness.' [Muslim]

Do I Really Want The Prophet SAW To Turn His Face From A 'Brother' Just Because He Didn't Keep The Shariah Beard?

http://www.islam.tc/cgi-bin/askimam/ask.pl?q=11494&act=view

When the two messengers of Kisraa (Khusru ? the Persian King) came to Rasulullah [sallallaahu alayhi wasallam], they had long moustaches and shaved beards. Rasulullah [sallallaahu alayhi wasallam turned his face away in disgust and asked them, ?Who commanded you to do this (despicable deed)?? They replied, ?Our Lord, (i.e. King)? At this, Rasulullah [sallallaahu alayhi wasallam] mentioned, ?But my Lord has commanded me to lengthen my beard and shorten my moustache.? (Tabaqaat ibn Sa?ad vol.1 pg.147; Taareekh Tabari vol.2 pg.267-266; Bidaaya wan Nihaaya)
One should ponder over the narration that we have quoted concerning the two messengers of the Persian King. How Rasulullah [sallallaahu alayhi wasallam] turned his blessed face away from them in disgust. Remember, these were Kaafirs (disbelievers). Imagine if Rasulullah [sallallahu alayhi wasallam] turns his face away from a Muslim on the day of Qiyaamat because he did not have a proper beard! Imagine the plight of that person, Allah forbid.

http://www.islam.tc/cgi-bin/askimam/...11494&act=view

Abz2000
09-11-2011, 11:33 PM
Narrated Nafi': "Ibn Umar said, The Prophet said, 'Do the opposite of what the pagans do. Keep the beards and cut the moustaches short.'.......

"Allah's Apostle said, 'The Jews and the Christians do not dye (their grey hair), so you shall do the opposite of what they do (i.e. dye your grey hair and beards).' (Translation of Sahih Bukhari, Virtues and Merits of the Prophet (pbuh) and his Companions, Volume 4, Book 56, Number 668)"

Narrated Ibn 'Umar: "Allah's Apostle said, 'Cut the moustaches short and leave the beard (as it is).'
(Translation of Sahih Bukhari, Dress, Volume 7, Book 72, Number 781)"

from the first hadith - he was giving a situation - and a solution to that.
from the second hadith - the same
from the third - he is reported to have said - leave it as it is.
does that mean you never trim it and let it grow forever? No.
he meant grow it - and yes they would normally grow a fistful - you have to interpret it in this case.

yet analysing the hadith critically - you can see it is a solution to a problem of identity.
if they did the opposite - would he have said that?

now we see rabbis and priests growing their beards to fist-length - where does that leave us?
to me it appeared advice to be different and unique - an identity issue - the beard itself not being what carries you to paradise.

ponder on this hadith critically:

904. It is related that Ibn 'Umar said,
"When the Prophet. may Allah bless him and grant him peace, returned to us from the Battle of the Parties (Ahzab),
he said,
'No one should pray 'Asr before they get to Banu Qurayza.
For some of them 'Asr became due on the way.
Some people said, 'We will not pray until we get there.'
Others said, 'No, we should do the prayer. That was not what he meant.'
This was mentioned to the Prophet and he did not rebuke any of them."

we see that he wanted them to make haste, and he emphasized it.

they were doing their best to sincerely follow the spirit of his words without disobeying him or perverting it out of context to what he would dislike. or play silly word games or manipulation.

he rebuked neither.

i notice young Muslims on the street with trimmed beards and say peace, they also recognise me as such and say peace

(that's not me!)
i do not rebuke anyone who keeps a longer beard either. but i do believe the advice is being taken as compulsory despite it being an identity issue.

The narration in Sahih Muslim is as follows:
After arriving in Medina, the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) passed by some people who were fecundating some date palms, so he asked them what they were doing. When they told him, he said, “I don’t think that will provide any benefit,” or in another narration, “It would be better if you didn’t do that.”
So they refrained from doing it, and that year the crop was not as good. They mentioned it to him (peace and blessings be upon him), and he replied:
“I am only a human: if I command you to do something in your religion, then take it;
but if I tell you to do something based on personal opinion, then [realize] that I am only human,”
and in another narration, “Yet if I inform you of something from Allah, then do it, for indeed I will never convey an untruth on behalf of Allah Mighty and Majestic,”
and in yet another narration, “You know better of your worldly affairs.”

we can see clearly here that the hadith was mentioned regarding identity and not piety or divine injunction - he (pbuh) made it clear at the beginning - otherwise there would have been no need to mention the pagans first.

that's only my opinion and only Allah knows best.
peace to all who follow the guidance.

Insaanah
09-12-2011, 10:53 AM
:sl:

format_quote Originally Posted by abz2000
yet analysing the hadith critically - you can see it is a solution to a problem of identity.
if they did the opposite - would he have said that?

now we see rabbis and priests growing their beards to fist-length - where does that leave us?
to me it appeared advice to be different and unique - an identity issue - the beard itself not being what carries you to paradise.
but i do believe the advice is being taken as compulsory despite it being an identity issue.
It is not solely an identity issue.

1- Letting the beard grow is not only for the sake of being different, rather it is also part of the fitrah as shown in a hadeeth in Saheeh Muslim:

'A'isha (radiyallahu anha) reported: Rasoolullah :saws: said: "Ten are the acts according to fitra: clipping the mustache, letting the beard grow, using the tooth-stick, snuffing water in the nose, cutting the nails, washing the finger joints, plucking the hair under the armpits, shaving the pubic hair and cleaning one's private parts with water." The narrator said: I have forgotten the tenth, but it may have been rinsing the mouth. (Sahih Muslim, Chapter# 11, Book 2, number 0502)

Some hadeeth on the fitrah show five things, but there are ahadeeth that order the growing of the beard by themselves, with no mention of identity e.g:

Ibn Umar said: The Apostle of Allah (may peace be upon him) said: "Trim closely the moustache, and let the beard grow." (Sahih Muslim, Chapter #11, Book 2, Number 0498)

2- It is the Sunnah of previous prophets.

3- The Jews, Christians, mushrikeen etc nowadays do not all let their beards grow, and not even a quarter of them do that, rather the majority of them shave their beards, as can be seen.

4- If a ruling is established in sharee’ah for a reason that no longer applies, and this ruling is in accordance with the fitrah or is one of the symbols of Islam, then it remains even if the reason no longer applies. Raml (walking at a fast pace) in the first three rounds of tawaaf was originally intended so that the Prophet :saws: and his companions could demonstrate physical strength in front of the mushrikeen of Makkah who said: "There have come to you people who have been weakened by the fever of Yathrib". This was in the Umrah performed in the year 7 Hijri. This reason no longer applies, but the ruling remains in effect, and the Prophet :saws: did raml in the Farewell Pilgrimage in 10 Hijri, even though the reason was no longer there, as most of the Makkans were Muslim by then.

Moreover, the claim that the reason for letting the beard grow (i.e. doing the opposite of the non-Muslims) no longer applies is not true, because most of the kuffar today shave their beards, as is well known to anyone who has any knowledge of other nations and their actions. Even if we assume that most of them today let their beards grow, this does not alter the fact that it is prescribed in Islam to let the beard grow, because the fact that the enemies of Islam imitate something that is prescribed for the Muslims does not mean that it is no longer prescribed, and that we should or can leave it. Rather, we should adhere more closely to it...

Adapted from source: http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/75525/beard

With regards to the earlier comment on not worrying about what other people are doing, and doing something more productive instead:

Sahih International

You are the best nation produced [as an example] for mankind. You enjoin what is right and forbid what is wrong and believe in Allah . If only the People of the Scripture had believed, it would have been better for them. Among them are believers, but most of them are defiantly disobedient. (3:110)

Sahih International

They believe in Allah and the Last Day, and they enjoin what is right and forbid what is wrong and hasten to good deeds. And those are among the righteous. (3:114)

One of the defining characteristics of this ummah, and one of the things that Allah says makes it the best, is that we enjoin the right and forbid the wrong. The day we stop doing that, that is the day we become like the other previous nations, and that is the day of our downfall..

And Allah knows best in all matters.

References for hadeeth re: Raml - Al-Bukhari 1/218, 2/610,611, Muslim 1/412

GuestFellow
09-12-2011, 12:47 PM
I know someone who has severe allergy and gets spots all over his face (not acne). Having a beard makes the condition worse than without the beard. Is it permissible to shave?

Salahudeen
09-12-2011, 12:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tragic Typos
I know someone who has severe allergy and gets spots all over his face (not acne). Having a beard makes the condition worse than without the beard. Is it permissible to shave?
InshaAllah if you post your question here someone will know http://www.ahlalhdeeth.com/vbe/index.php

A-Brother
09-12-2011, 02:20 PM
Status of the Beard
By a Student of Darul-Uloom, Holcombe, Bury

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE READ AND SPREAD THE MESSAGE VIA EMAIL AND OTHER WAYS OF COMMUNICATION AS NOT MANY PEOPLE READ FORUMS ETC. GET REWARD FOR SOMEONE ELSE CARRYING OUT A DEED. INVEST FOR THE HEREAFTER.HOW EASY IS THIS. WHEN WE ARE NEED OF HELP ON THE DAY OF QIYAMAH. IF THE BELOVED PROPHET WON'T LOOK AT US, THEN WHO WILL BE WILLING TO HELP? BUMP THIS THREAD AGAIN AND AGAIN AND SHARE THE IMPORTANCE

What Is The Status Of The Beard?

All the great scholars of Islam unanimously agree on this issue that to grow a beard no less than the length of a fist is compulsory upon all Muslim men as it is a distinctive sign of Islam, and it is haram (forbidden) for a mature stable Muslim to shave his beard.

This verdict was reached on the grounds that there are numerous ahaadith where the Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam is explicitly commanding the Muslims to grow a beard. In this respect a few ahaadith from Bukhari and Muslim are quoted below.

Translation: Ibn Umar radiyallahu anhu quotes the Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam as saying, "Cut short the moustache and lengthen the beard."

(Bukhari and Muslim)
Translation: Abu Huraira radiyallahu anhu quotes the Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam as saying, "Shorten the moustache and lengthen the beard."
(Muslim)
Translation: Ibn Umar radiyallahu anhu quotes the Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam as saying, "Grow (lengthen) the beard."
(Muslim)
Translation: Yahya ibn Kathir says that, once a person from Ajam (external province) who had grown a moustache and shaved off the beard entered the mosque. The Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam asked him, "What motivated you to do this act? He replied that his Lord had ordered him to do so. The Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam said, "Allah has ordered me to shorten my moustache and lengthen my beard." Besides these ahaadith, there are other ahaadith which support the necessity of growing the beard. Therefore, to shave, or trim one’s beard less than the length of a fist is haram (forbidden) and anyone contradicting this ruling will be committing a major sin and regarded as a fasiq (immoral person).
The above mentioned ruling applies to all Muslims as a general rule, as for an Imaam or a Hafiz it becomes all the more important to grow a beard as he will have to lead the prayers and the Imamat (leadership) of a person who shaves or trims his beard is makrooh-e-tahrimi (severely disliked), although the prayer behind such a person will be valid. It is stated in a hadith of Ibn Majah that (page 77), ‘Let not a sinful and immoral person lead in a prayer of a true believer.’ It is also stated in Raddul Mukhtar (page 560, vol. 1), ‘It is makrooh-e-tahrimi for a fasiq (immoral person) to lead the prayers. An Imaam is the best person in the community worthy of leading the people in their prayers, he should be pious and apparently free from sin and immorality.’ In a hadith of the Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam it is stated, "If you wish that your prayers are accepted, than the most pious amongst should act as your Imaam, for he is a messenger between you and your Lord."

It is apparent from these ahaadith that an Imaam must grow a beard in order to lead the prayers. According to all four schools of thought (Madhabs), it is compulsory upon a Muslim man to grow a beard and refrain from shaving it, or trimming it to less than the length of a fist. Given below are fatawas (religious verdicts) issued by the four Madhabs and it’s leading scholars on the issue of growing the beard.

Hanafi madhab:

To trim the beard when it is less than a fist’s length, as done by some modern people and hermaphrodites is not permissible in the opinion of all the jurists. To shave the beard as done by unorthodox Jews, Hindus and others is also not permissible.

(Durre Mukhtar)
Maliki madhab:
To shave the beard is haram and to trim it in such a manner that it changes one’s natural and normal facial features is also haram. It is also quoted in Kitabul Ib’daa’, that without doubt the four Madhabs are agreed that the beard should be lengthened and that shaving it is haram.

Shafe’ee madhab:

It is quoted in Al Ibaab’, that Imaam ibn Ar’rifaah says that Imaam Shafe’ee, in his book, Kitabul Umm, has categorically stated that shaving the beard is haram.

Al Azraiy says that the correct position in the Shafe’ee madhab is that to shave the beard without a valid medical reason is haram. Similar verdict of prohibition has been issued by Zarakhshi, Baihaqi in his book, Shu’ab Al Iman, and by his teacher Qa’ffal Shashi in Muhasin As Shar’iyyah.

Hanbali madhab:

It is narrated in Shar’hul Muntahaa’ and Shar’hul Manzoomatul Adaab, the most accepted view is that it is haram to shave the beard. Some Ulama like the author of ‘Insaf’, have categorically stated that it is haram. There is no report from anyone to the contrary.

Sheikhul Islam ibn Taymiyyah says, "Shaving the beard is haram."

Ibn Hazm has narrated Ijma (consensus of the Muslims) regarding the obligation of trimming the moustache and keeping the beard, he brings the following ahaadith in support of this Ijma:

Translation: "Oppose the Mushrikeen polytheists), trim the moustache and lengthen the beard."

(Muslim)
Translation: "Whosoever does not trim his moustache, he is not from amongst us."
(Ahmed Tirmidhi and Nasai)
The following are some fatawas given, issued by some prominent Muftis of the Arab world, in recent time regarding the necessity of keeping the beard.
Sheikh ibn Abdur Rahman Al Banna writes in Fathur Rabbani, "Shaving the beard is strictly haram. This is the madhab of Hanbalis and Zahiriyyah. Sheikh Nasir Uddin Albani writes, "Due to the above references, it is wajib to lengthen the beard and to shave is haram."

Sheikh Abu Bakr Al Jazari writes, "One should leave his beard until it fills his face, because the Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam has ordered, shorten your moustaches and lengthen your beards."

We can conclude from what has been said that to keep a beard is compulsory and to trim it or shave it is haram.

Keeping the beard has been the practice of the Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam, as it has also been the practice of the earlier Prophets before him.

When Musa alaihis salaam returned from his journey of Mount Tur and found the Israelites engrossed in idolatry, he became furious and in severe anger he pulled the beard of his deputy (and brother) Haroon alaihis salaam who said:

Translation: "O son of my mother, seize me not by my beard nor my hair." In the books of ahaadith, numerous hadith describe the Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam as having a copious beard.

Translation: Umm Ma’bad radiyallahu anhu says that the Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam had a copious beard.

At an age when moral and spiritual decline is at its peak, acting upon a single prophetic tradition could insure success in the hereafter. It is narrated in a hadith,

Translation: "One who is steadfast upon my Sunnah at the decline of my Ummah, for him there is the reward of a hundred martyrs."

One Maulana has said, "Within a body there is nothing which we can imitate the Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam. Our hands, feet, chest, eyes, ears, nose etc. cannot imitate the Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam. There is only one thing and that is the beard, in which we can imitate the Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam. He had a full, dense beard. We should try to imitate him in this matter.

Acting upon the Sunnah of the Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam brings the pleasure of Allah and in turn great rewards in the hereafter. Similarly, opposing the Sunnah of the Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam brings the displeasure of Allah. It is stated in a hadith,

Translation: The messenger of Allah sallallahu alaihe wasallam has cursed those men who imitate women and those women who imitate men.

The beard is a distinctive sign of a man and removing it is like imitating a woman and anyone who commits this crime earns himself the displeasure of the Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam and to displease the Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam is to displease Allah. May Allah save us all from Allah’s displeasure and wrath. Ameen.

Modern scientists and doctors have realised the benefits of keeping a beard.

One doctor writes, that by continually shaving, the veins of the sight are affected, resulting in failing eyesight. Another doctor writes that a lengthy beard stops harmful germs from reaching the throat and chest. Another goes so far as to say, "If men shaved for seven generations, the men in the eighth generation will have no beards. This means that the sperm gets weaker in every generation, until in the eighth this quality is completely destroyed."

Keeping the beard is the right of every individual. Therefore, even parents cannot order their children to shave the beard. The Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam said,

Translation: "There is no obedience to any creation when the creator is being disobeyed."

In such situations where children are forced to shave their beard by their parents, the children must oppose them, for there is no obedience to anyone when the rules of Shari’ah are asked to be violated.

A Muslim should strive hard to imitate the blessed Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam in all aspects of their life and refrain from imitating the non-Muslims.

There are numerous ahaadith in many books of hadith which describe the Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam as having a full beard. Given below are some ahaadith regarding this:

Translation: Ali radiyallahu anhu narrates that the Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam was neither too tall nor too short. He had long hair and beard.

Translation: Bukhari and Abu Dawood narrate from Abu Ma’mar, who says, "We asked Khabbab radiyallahu anhu, did the Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam recite the Qur’an in Zuhr and Asar prayers?" He replied, "Yes." We asked him how he knew this. He said, "From the movement of his beard."

Translation: Muslim narrates from Jabir ibn Samura radiyallahu anhu, who says, "The front part of the Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam’s hair and beard had become grey. When he used to apply oil, it was not apparent but when the hair was unkempt it use to become apparent. The Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam had a dense beard."

Translation: At’a ibn Yasir radiyallahu anhu says, "The Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam was in the mosque, when a man entered who’s hair and beard were unkempt. The Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam indicated towards him with his hand as though he was ordering him to adjust his hair and beard. The Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam said, ‘Is this not better than coming with unkempt hair like shaitan.’"

Translation: Aisha radiyallahu anha relates that the Messenger of Allah sallallahu alaihe wasallam said, "Ten things are of nature in which shortening the moustache and growing a full beard are mentioned."

Translation: Amongst the fitraat (Deen) of Islam is the cutting of the moustache and the lengthening of the beard, for surely the Majoos (Fire worshippers) lengthen their moustaches and cut their beards. In these two hadith, it has been mentioned that the beard is the natural beauty of a man. To shave it is a unnatural act. Also, shaving the beard is imitating the Kuffar, which is forbidden in Islam.

Translation: Ibn Al Jawzy narrates in Al Wafa Bi Ahwal Al Mustafa from Ali ibn Abi Talib that the Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam had a full beard.

Translation: Tirmidhi narrates in his Shamaail from Abu Hala, who used to describe the Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam. He says that the Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam had a copious beard.

Translation: Muslim narrates from Ibn Umar that the Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam said, "Oppose the Mushrikeen (polytheists), shorten the moustache and lengthen the beard."

In another hadith, the Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam warns the Muslims not to imitate the Kuffar. It is stated in the hadith:

Translation: The Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam said, "One who imitates another nation, he is from amongst them." This is a severe warning to those Muslims who wish to imitate the non Muslims in their dress and appearance.

Translation: Anas radiyallahu anhu narrates that the Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam, most of the time used to oil his hair and comb his beard.

The Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam used to take care of his beard and hair. In one of the hadith that has been previously mentioned, the Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam told a man to comb his hair and beard. He also given the similarity of a man who has unkempt hair and beard with the devil.

To conclude, the Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam has emphatically commanded the Muslims to grow a beard. He also gave a severe warning to those who oppose this command, especially those people who openly oppose it. In a hadith it is mentioned:

Translation: "All the sinners of my Ummah are forgiven except those who commit sins openly."

This is a warning to those people who openly shave their beards and have no shame in doing this act. May Allah give us all the ability to act upon the commands of the Shari’ah. Ameen.

Click The Following Link:

Beautiful Sunnats Of The Beloved Nabi | Online Book | 37 Pages | Free Download |FREE!
http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/show...EE!&highlight=

SFatima
09-12-2011, 08:03 PM
@ brother tyrion, like what all unshaved men of 'moderate/liberal' islam are doing? being productive running away from their countries of origin and seeking asylum in Uk, US and canada? I'm sure.^o)

Predator
09-12-2011, 08:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Adam51210
In the aftermath of the Tsunami disaster, many Muslims attained the status of Shahadah (Martyrdom). Due to the excess amount of bodies it was difficult to identify each individual. Regarding Salat Ul-Janazah the problem arose that how will we be able to differentiate between a Muslim and non-Muslim? Finally, it was decided that the prayer would be lead upon those deceased who possessed beards. People in the world have hopes that people will benefit them after their death, by performing Salat Al-Janazah and carrying out other deeds. However, in a situation like this, would this be possible?
I'll have to take that with a pinch of salt simply because east asians by nature have little or no facial hair growth and that would be unfair to them . A Pathetic way to identify muslims as you would probably end up giving Janazah to bearded Kaafirs and ignore Muslims who couldnt get facial hair .

SFatima
09-13-2011, 11:18 AM
At the above, you can calm down, the poster is just trying to get his point of view across, no need to make it sound offensive, f you do have that question, there is a proper way to ask it :). His post has a point too, and so does yours, but that does not make his post pathetic.

peace.

Predator
09-13-2011, 06:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SFatima
At the above, you can calm down, the poster is just trying to get his point of view across, no need to make it sound offensive, f you do have that question, there is a proper way to ask it :). His post has a point too, and so does yours, but that does not make his post pathetic.

peace.
No his post isnt pathetic. This decision is pathetic

Finally, it was decided that the prayer would be lead upon those deceased who possessed beards.

Insaanah
09-13-2011, 10:08 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by Airforce
I'll have to take that with a pinch of salt simply because east asians by nature have little or no facial hair growth and that would be unfair to them . A Pathetic way to identify muslims as you would probably end up giving Janazah to bearded Kaafirs and ignore Muslims who couldnt get facial hair .
Br Airforce has raised an interesting point.

See this:

Ruling on one who dies and it is not known whether he was a Muslim or a kaafir

Praise be to Allaah.

If a man or woman is found dead and it is not known whether he was a Muslim or a kaafir, then in this case distinguishing signs should be looked for if possible, such as circumcision in a land where the non-Muslims do not get circumcised, or the type of clothing, or hair dye (e.g. henna), or any sign by which it is possible to find out whether the person was a Muslim or not. If there is no such sign, then the land in which the person died should be taken into account. If it is a Muslim land, then he is deemed to be Muslim and he should be washed (ghusl) and the funeral prayer offered for him. If it is a non-Muslim land, then he should not be washed and the funeral prayer should not be offered for him, because the basic principle is that whoever is in a land is one of its people and comes under the same ruling as them so long as there is no evidence to the contrary.

This is also indicated in a report that is proven in Saheeh al-Bukhaari (3013) and Saheeh Muslim (1745) from Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allah be pleased with him) from al-Sa‘b ibn Jaththaamah (may Allah be pleased with him) who said: The Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) passed by me in al-Liwa’ or Waddaan and he was asked whether it was permissible to attack the mushrikeen with the probability of exposing their women and children to danger. He said: “They are of them.”

Ibn Qudaamah said in al-Mughni (3/478): If a person is found dead and it is not known whether he was a Muslim or a kaafir, they should look for signs such as circumcision, clothing and hair dye. If there are no distinguishing signs and he is in a Muslim country, then he should be washed and the funeral prayer should be offered for him. If he is in a non-Muslim country, then he should not be washed and the funeral prayer should not be offered for him. This was stated by Imam Ahmad because the basic principle is that whoever is in a land is one of its people and comes under the same rulings as them so long as there is no evidence to the contrary. End quote.

Al-Kasaani said in Badaa’i‘ al-Sanaa’i‘ (7/104): The ways in which a person is deemed to be a believer are three: documentary evidence, proofs and implication… With regard to a person being ruled to be Muslim by means of implication, a child may be ruled to be a Muslim by implication if his parents are Muslim, whether he has reached maturity or not. He may also be deemed to be a Muslim because of the land in which he lives. … End quote.

i.e., if he is found in a Muslim land then he is deemed to be a Muslim; if he is found in a non-Muslim land then he is deemed to be a kaafir.

And Allah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Source

According to wikipedia, Indonesia, for example, is between 85.1 and 87% Muslim. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Indonesia
Aceh (one of the hardest hit areas) itself is 98.8% Muslim. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_in_Aceh

We also know that globally, not all Muslim men have beards, and that some, especially Eastern men, find it hard to grow beards. And in the destruction of the Tsunami, beards may not even have come into the equation, some faces would be so badly decomposed, or damaged, that anything on the face would be unrecognisable. Muslims without beards are still Muslim though, and one of a Muslim's fundamental rights, is for him to have the janaazah prayed for him.

Abu Hurayrah (radhiyallaahu 'anhu) narrated that the Messenger of Allaah :saws: said, "The rights of the Muslim upon the Muslim are six." It was said, "And what are they Oh Messenger of Allaah?" He replied, "When you meet him, give him the greeting of peace, when he invites you, respond to his invitation, when he seeks your advice, advise him, when he sneezes and praises Allaah, supplicate for mercy upon him, when he becomes ills, visit him, and when he dies follow him (i.e. his funeral)." (Saheeh Muslim Book 26, hadeeth number 5379).

"The Sixth Right:
His statement, "And if he dies, follow him (his funeral)." For verily whoever follows the funeral until the deceased's body is prayed over, then he will receive a Qeeraat of reward. (Translator's note: A Qeeraat is an amount equivalent to the size of the Mountain of Uhud in Madinah.) And if he follows the funeral procession until the body is buried, then he will receive two Qeeraats of reward. And following the funeral procession contains (fulfillment of) a right for Allaah, a right for the deceased, and a right for the living relatives of the deceased." (Ash-Shaikh 'Abdur-Rahmaan bin Naasir As-Sa`dee (Rahimahullaah) in Source: Bahjatu Quloob il-Abraar wa Qurratu 'Uyoon il-Akhyaar fee Jaami' il-Akhbaar, pp. 65-67)

Regarding "it was decided that the prayer would be lead upon those deceased who possessed beards", which country are you referring to, as the tsunami affected many countries. Assuming it was Indonesia, who in Indonesia made the decision to deprive these Muslims without a beard of their right to salaatul janaazah? And how did they arrive at that decision in a 98.8% Muslim area? Because that is a grave and serious decision to make. Do you have a reliable news source for that story? I have googled extensively but have not managed to find anything.

And Allah knows best in all matters, and may He forgive me if I said anything wrong.

Who Am I?
09-13-2011, 10:55 PM

I have a beard, but I keep it trimmed and to a uniform length. I can't stand not having an uneven beard.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
09-14-2011, 02:02 AM
I agree with Tyrion. Yes, the beard is important but in the list of priorities, it's no where near the top.

As I've heard many scholars say, it's not something we need to give as much focus on as other issues such as drinking, sleeping around, depression among our community, domestic violence, weed, not praying, not fasting etc. When we can solve those problems in our communities, let's start telling people about facial hair. It's a cop out when we actively ignore those issues of much higher priority and importance and instead write huge articles (well-intentioned as they are) on what is a small piece of a large universal. We need to focus on being productive members of our community where we positively influence people's lives - not the haram police who under the guise of "enjoining the good and forbidding the evil" in fact cause more harm than benefit because of the lack of wisdom and understanding in regards to how to deal with people and a serious lack of priorities when it comes to which issues to address.

We need to get our priorities right.

A-Brother
09-14-2011, 04:00 PM
The Post Has Been Deleted By The User.

However Recommended The Following Link:
http://www.islam.tc/beard/beard.html

May Allah Grant Us The Correct Understanding And Grant The Ummah Hidayah

Predator
09-14-2011, 06:39 PM
The sin of shaving the beard is not only a Kabirah (Major) sin, but it is also Bagawah (open offence).
Its is not in the list of the 70 major sins

Major sins

1. Associating partners with Allah (Shirk)

* Great Shirk: worshipping beings other than Allah (proof all over Quran)
* Small Shirk: Riya

The Prophet (saw), "Should I not inform you of that which I fear for you even more than the dangers of Dajjal? It is the hidden shirk: A person stands to pray and he beautifies his prayer because he sees the people looking at him". (Sahih; Sunan ibn Majah)
2. Committing murder: (Furqan; 68)
3. Performing Sorcery (2: 102)
4. Not performing the Prayers (Maryam: 59)
5. Withholding the Zakat (Charity) (3: 180)
6. Breaking the fast of Ramadhan or not fasting in that month without a valid excuse.
Prophet (saw) said, "Islam is built upon five pillars: testifying that there is no true god except Allah and that Muhammad is the messenger of Allah, performing the prayers, paying the zakat, making the pilgrimage to the house, and fasting the month of Ramadhan" (Sahih al-Jami # 2837)
7. Not performing the pilgrimage when one has the ability to do so (above hadith)
8. Disobeying one's parents (al-Isra: 23)
9. Cutting off the ties of relationships (Muhammad: 22)
10. Committing adultery or fornication (al-Isra: 30)
11. Committing sodomy
The Prophet (saw) said, "Allah will not look at a person (with pleasure) who commits sodomy with a man or a woman" (Sahih al-Jami # 7678)
12. Taking or paying interest (2: 275)
13. Devouring the wealth of orphans (4:10)
14. Forging statements concerning Allah or forging Hadith (al-Zumar: 60)
15. Fleeing from the battle (al-Anfal: 16)
16. Wrongdoing, deception or oppression on the part of the ruler (al-Shura: 42)
17. Being arrogant, boastful, vain (al-Nahl: 23)
18. Giving false testimony (al-Furqan: 72)
19. Drinking alcoholic beverages (5: 90)
20. Gambling (5: 90)
21. Slandering innocent women (al-Nur: 23)
22. Misappropriating something from the booty (3:161)
23. Stealing (5:38)
24. Committing highway robbery (5: 33)
25. Making false oath
Prophet (saw) said, "If someone is ordered to take an oath and he takes a false oath in order to take possession of property of a Muslim, then he will incur Allah's wreath when he meets Him" (Sahih al-Jami # 6083)
26. Committing oppression (al-Shuara: 277)
27. Levying illegal taxes
Prophet (saw) said, " Do you know who the bankrupt is? The bankrupt form my nation is the one who appears on the Day of Resurrection having performed the prayers, fasted and paid the zakat, but had also abused that person, slandered that person, wrongfully taken the wealth of that person and spilled the blood of that person. These people will take from his good deeds. If his good deeds are thereby exhausted, he will be given their sins and then he will be thrown into the hell-fire" (Sahih al-Jami #87)
28. Consuming forbidden wealth or taking it by any means (2: 188)
29. Committing suicide (4: 29)
30. Being a perpetual liar (3: 61)
31. Ruling by laws other than the laws of Islam (5: 44)
32. Engaging in bribery (2: 188)
33. Women appearing like men and vice-versa
Prophet (saw) said, "Allah's curse is upon women who appear like men and upon men who appear like women" (Sahih al-Jami # 4976)
34. Being a dayyouth
Dayyouth: is the one who approves the indecency of his womenfolk and who is void of jealousy or the pimp who facilitates indecency between two people
Prophet (saw) said, "Allah has forbidden the Paradise to three people: the alcoholic, the runaway slave, and the one who is complacent in the face of the evil deeds that his family is performing" (Sahih al-Jami # 3047)
35. Marrying for the purpose of making a woman allowable for another (Baqarah)
36. Not keeping clean from the remains of urine
Ibn Abbas reported that Prophet (saw) passed by a grave and said, "These two are being punished and they are not being punished for something hard. But it is a great sin. One of them did not keep himself clean form his urine and the other went around spreading tales" (Sahih al-Jami # 2436)
37. Acting for show (al-Maoon: 4-6)
38. Acquiring knowledge only for worldly gain or concealing knowledge (2: 160)
39. Breaching trusts (al-Anfal: 27)
40. Reminding people of one's kindness (2: 27)
41. Denying predestination (al-Qamar: 49)
"If Allah were to punish the inhabitants of the heavens and earths, then He would punish and He would not be doing injustice to them. If He were to have mercy on them, His mercy would be greater than from their actions. If a person had amount of gold equivalent to Mount Uhud or similar to Mount Uhud and spent it in the Path of Allah, (that spending) would not be accepted form him by Allah until he believes in the preordainment of good and evil. And until he knows that what afflicted him was not going to miss him and what missed him was not going to afflict him. If you were to die with any belief other than that, you would enter the Hellfire" (Kitab al-Sunnah by Ibn Abu Asi # 245. Albani says that its chain is sahih)
42. Eavesdropping on other's private conversation (Hujarat: 12)
43. Spreading harmful tales(al-Qamar: 10)
44. Cursing others
Prophet (saw) said, "Abusing a Muslim is evil and fighting him is disbelief" (Sahih al-Jami # 3598)
45. Not fulfilling one's promises
Prophet (saw) said, "Whoever has a four characteristic is a complete hypocrite. Whoever posses any of these characteristics has the characteristics of hypocrisy until he gives it up; whenever he makes a promise, he breaks it up…" (Bukhari)
46. Believing in what soothsayers & astrologers say
Prophet (saw) said, "Whoever goes to fortuneteller and asks him about something will not have his prayer accepted for forty nights" (Sahih al-Jami # 5816)
47. A wife being rebellious to her husband (4: 34)
48. Putting pictures of beings with souls on clothing, curtains, rocks and any other items
Prophet (saw) said, "…the people who will receive the greatest punishment on the day of judgment are those who compete with Allah in creation [those who make pictures or statues]" (sahih al-Jami # 1691)
49. Striking one's self, wailing, tearing one's clothing, pulling one's hair & similar deeds as a form of mourning
Prophet (saw) said, "One who strikes his cheeks or tears his clothing and shouts in the manner of pre-Islamic culture is not one of us" (Sahih al-Jami # 5713)
50. Committing injustice (al-Shura: 42)
51. Being overbearing or taking advantage of the weak, slaves, wives or animals
Prophet (saw) said, "Allah will torture those who torture people in this world" (Muslim)
52. Harming neighbors
Prophet (saw) said, "A person whose neighbor is not safe from his mischief will not enter paradise" (sahih al-Jami # 7002)
53. Harming and abusing Muslims (al-Ahzab: 58)
54. Wearing one's clothes too long, i.e. below the ankles
Prophet (saw) said, "What is below the ankles will be in the hellfire " (Bukhari)
55. Harming the slaves of Allah
Prophet (saw) said that Allah said, "Whoever shows enmity to a slave of Mine (Allah's) I shall be at war with him" (Sahih al-Jami # 1778)
56. Men wearing silk & gold
Prophet (saw) said, "Gold and silk have been permitted for the females of my nation and forbidden for its males" (Sahih al-Jami # 209)
Prophet (saw) said, "Men who wears silk in this world will have no portion [of heavens] in the hereafter" (Muslim)
57. Running away of a slave
Prophet (saw) said, "If a slave runs away, his prayers will not be accepted" (Sahih al-Jami # 257)
58. Sacrificing animals for other than Allah
Prophet (Saw) said, "The one who sacrifices for other than Allah is cursed by Allah" (Sahih al-Jami # 4988)
59. Claiming that somebody is one's father while the claimant knows it is not true
Prophet (saw) said, "One who claims that someone is his father and knows that it is not true will be forbidden of paradise" (Sahih al-Jami # 5865)
60. Arguing or quarreling for show & not seeking the truth
Prophet (saw) said, "Whoever argues in support of something that is wrong and he knows it Allah will be angry with him until he stops" (Sahih al-Jami # 6073)
61. Not allowing excess water to flow to others
Prophet (saw) said, "Whoever doesn't allow the access water or pasture for others will not share in the blessings of Allah on the day of judgment" (Sahih al-Jami # 6436)
62. Not measuring the weights properly (al-Mutafafifeen: 1-3)
63. Thinking that one is safe from Allah's planning (al-Araf: 99)
64. Eating carrion, blood or pork meat (al-Anam: 145)
65. Not praying in the congregation & praying by one's self without a valid excuse
Prophet (saw) said, "Whoever hears the call to prayer and doesn't come to prayer, there is no prayer for him say for the one who has valid excuse" (Sahih al-Jami # 6176)
66. Continually not performing the Friday prayers and congregational prayers without any valid excuse
Prophet (saw) said, "If people don't stop abandoning the Friday Prayers Allah may seal their hearts and they will become headless" (Muslim)
67. Harming others by manipulation one's bequests (4: 12)
68. Being deceitful or deceptive (Fatir: 43)
69. Spying on the Muslims & pointing out their secrets (al-Kalam: 11)
70. Abusing or reviling anyone of the Companions of the Prophet (saw)
Prophet (saw) said, "Do not revile my companions for, by the one in whose hands is my soul, if you were to spend in charity a mountain of gold similar to mount Uhud it would not be equal to a handful or a half a handful (or what they have done)" (Sahih al-Jami # 7187)

Some sins are limited to the time of the act or omission, for example, Zina (adultery & fornication) is a grave sin; the sinner is sinning for the duration of that act. Whereas this sin’s time remains for as long as the beard remains shaven or trimmed to less than a fist’s length. The person will be regarded a sinner for every second his face is devoid of a proper beard, therefore sinning for that entire time span. this means it's severity aggregates and persists more than other sin
So by this logic, it would be fair to say that other sins like a Murder, Theft , Gambling Alcohol are lesser than the beard as he would be sinning only for the duration of the acts .

Ibn Abi Ahmed
09-14-2011, 10:36 PM

But by having a beard ... wouldn't that stop you from commiting such sins like mentioned above. Wouldn't it help stop your self more from the sins than if you didn't have the beard. This Is Shariah. How can we dare to be little the sunnah of the Beloved Prophet SAW. We shouldn't belittle something which the Prophet SAW and his companions had/did/do.

Belittling a Sunnah takes a person out of the fold of Islam.

Calm down! By misinterpreting my post, you've assumed that I'm belittling the Sunnah - where in the world did you get that idea from??

Having facial hair doesn't mean a person won't go around doing the things I mentioned earlier - how many people who aren't Muslims have a beard and still do sleep around? In fact I know Muslims who are bearded who miss prayers, and end up doing worse things. Facial hair for the sake of facial hair doesn't make anything better. Work on making people love Allah and His Messenger and have a relationship with the Qur'an and these external markers will start to make themselves apparent.

Priorities? It was the Beloved Prophets Sunnah.
Yeah sir it was, did I say it wasn't the sunnah? You have to realize however that it is just one aspect of the sunnah, it isn't the only directive the Prophet (saw) left us. What's the point of a beard if a person isn't praying or fasting? Yeah, at some level the beard is important, but tell me is drinking a greater evil or shaving? Is sleeping around a greater sin or shaving? Is not praying a greater sin or shaving? Obviously all those are greater than shaving - therefore in terms of priority they are of much more importance and need to be addressed before we start talking about beards.

Our religion prioritizes and it takes issues into account based on their importance and the immediate and long term benefit and harms on the community. There is a reason why alcohol wasn't forbidden until much later. There is a reason why zina wasn't made haram until much later in the seerah. That wasn't a priority when the revelation started - the priority at the time was to get people's imaan up. Our communities are plagued with much worse issues than shaving such as domestic violence, divorce, pornography etc. Those issues are of much greater importance.

A-Brother
09-14-2011, 10:44 PM
Only Allah Knows Best

Apologies For The Misunderstanding Brother.It Was The Way The Reply Was Written. Only Allah Knows Best. I Think We Should Leave This Thread At That.There Was No Intention Of Hurting Your Feelings In My Post. May The Almighty Allah Grant You The Ability To Forgive Me For My Error.

May Allah Grant Us The Correct Understanding And Grant Us All Hidayah

The Following Is An Article About The Beard Too:http://www.islam.tc/beard/beard.html

GuestFellow
09-14-2011, 10:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muraad
I agree with Tyrion. Yes, the beard is important but in the list of priorities, it's no where near the top.
As I've heard many scholars say, it's not something we need to give as much focus on as other issues such as drinking, sleeping around, depression among our community, domestic violence, weed, not praying, not fasting etc. When we can solve those problems in our communities, let's start telling people about facial hair. It's a cop out when we actively ignore those issues of much higher priority and importance and instead write huge articles (well-intentioned as they are) on what is a small piece of a large universal. We need to focus on being productive members of our community where we positively influence people's lives - not the haram police who under the guise of "enjoining the good and forbidding the evil" in fact cause more harm than benefit because of the lack of wisdom and understanding in regards to how to deal with people and a serious lack of priorities when it comes to which issues to address.

We need to get our priorities right.
Salaam,

A member posted a topic about growing the beard. Sure, it is long but there is nothing wrong with that. Just focusing on the issue of the beard does not mean all other issues are ignored.

There are many Islamic scholars that talk about drinking, fornication, adultery, homosexuality, not praying/fasting, etc. I think we have our priorities right. It is just some Muslims have difficulty implementing Islamic principles...

There are many topics on this forum that talk about issues that you have mentioned...

I'm not sure what the problem is. :p:

Ibn Abi Ahmed
09-14-2011, 10:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tragic Typos
Salaam,

A member posted a topic about growing the beard. Sure, it is long but there is nothing wrong with that. Just focusing on the issue of the beard does not mean all other issues are ignored.

There are many Islamic scholars that talk about drinking, fornication, adultery, homosexuality, not praying/fasting, etc. I think we have our priorities right. It is just some Muslims have difficulty implementing Islamic principles...

There are many topics on this forum that talk about issues that you have mentioned...

I'm not sure what the problem is. :p:
Wasalam,

True. I did say that these articles are well intentioned. But the part I'm having difficulty accepting from the article is two fold:

1) It's written in a way to make a person feel guilty for not leaving the beard. It doesn't take into account that many people might not leave it because of personal issues, societal problems and it gives off the impression that those who don't are doing it out of a denial of the sunnah. People are more complex and need to be treated as people. It presents it as if it's the most important of issues and doesn't place it in the proper perspective in relation to the greater sunnah.

2) It completely ignores the fiqh of the beard. There are multiple opinions regarding the status and length of the beard and this article conveniently ignores them and proposes that a fist length beard is absolutely mandatory. That's too simplistic and doesn't do the topic any justice in my view.

GuestFellow
09-14-2011, 10:59 PM
Wasalam,

True. I did say that these articles are well intentioned. But the part I'm having difficulty accepting from the article is two fold:

1) It's written in a way to make a person feel guilty for not leaving the beard. It doesn't take into account that many people might not leave it because of personal issues, societal problems and it gives off the impression that those who don't are doing it out of a denial of the sunnah. It presents it as if it's the most important of issues and doesn't place it in the proper perspective in relation to the greater sunnah.

2) It completely ignores the fiqh of the beard. There are multiple opinions regarding the status and length of the beard and this article conveniently ignores them and proposes that a fist length beard is absolutely mandatory. That's too simplistic and doesn't do the topic any justice in my view.

So you take issue with how it was presented. Fair enough.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
09-15-2011, 09:04 PM
As'Salaam Alaaykum

I want to comment regarding the issue of focusing on the major issues such as drinking etc etc.. I believe it is important to focus on all issues, as each requires stages to overcome. As we are passing by, is it not also advised to also focus on the small deeds aswell? I mean not leave any out at all.

In other words, why focus on huge matters, and forget about the minor issues, or atleast make it seem like they are not important? Especially when we have the correct and right intention. So if one guides us towards the good deed regardless of it being minor or major there is still reward right? So if we continue to take major's as priority then when are we going to follow the minor's? So heres an example, just by saying Alhamdulilaah, or Subhaan'Allaah, or laa ilaaha illa-Allaah wa Allaahu akbar..there is reward within saying these words.. does that mean we should forget them and focus on the major things that cause us to have great reward? no, ofcourse not. One should strive to aquire as much as possible or has an intention to do so for the pleasure of Allaah. And by having said this I am not saying that we forget about the major's either rather we focus on both(at ones own pace ofcourse), but when the minor's are so easy why not atleast focus on them inshaa'Allaah..

There was a lecture I listened to of a Shaikh who mentioned of how a clever man once said "Deen is not in the beard or in the hat", the shaikh mentioned it was rather something of identity, in other words to be recognised as a muslim. But I want to add that the beloved Prophet Muhammad (SAW) said that if you love Allaah, follow him. Alhamdulilaah we have knowledge of everything the prophet (saw) did and how he did it, now applying those principles/laws/ways into our lives while also having the right intentions will only increase us in goodness/righteousness in the sight of Allaah inshaa'Allaah..

I hope i've made sense and apologise for the wrong I've said and please correct me if so.

Jazakallaahu Khaayr.

tigerkhan
09-16-2011, 05:04 AM
while i always stress on basics, but i think that doesnt mean that other things are of less value. so we should not neglect or underestimate their value. eg beard, those who fear GOD and love prophet PBUH must remember that once there was some ppl from iran who visit prophet PBUH and they had long Mustaches and shaved beared, even they were not muslims but prophet PBUH get too much angry with their this outlook and He turned his face away from them.
allah swt says get into this deen completely, so better approach is we should repent for our shortcomming in deen rather than to say such words that this thing has no much value in islam.
:wa:

Insaanah
09-17-2011, 01:45 PM

It's a cop out when we actively ignore those issues of much higher priority and importance and instead write huge articles (well-intentioned as they are) on what is a small piece of a large universal.
The only cop-out is that we can only do one or the other, not both; for the "small" issues to be ignored/left on the back burner; and that we can only do x small issue once the "big" issues are sorted. If we assume you are correct, that means we should only focus on the "big" issues, because they are the priorities, and once you we have sorted them, then go to the "small".

Let's assume this happens. Within one generation of focussing on the big things, the small things will be left, if ever to be done, as nobody will ever think they are good enough in the big things to begin doing the small. The next generation won't know about the small issues, as only the big ones have been focussed on, so they'll only know about those big ones. But in their generation, the same thing happens, so out of those big issues, people prioritise and say, no it's a cop-out to focus on x small issue - you must get y big issue sorted first. This continues. Where does it end up generations later? After all that prioritising and deciding to focus only on the "big" issues, everything will be gone, and the only thing left will be laa ilaaha illallaah:

Hudhaifah narrated that the Messenger of Allah :saws: said, “Islam will disappear just as the embroidery of a fabric becomes worn out, so much so that no one would know what is fasting, prayer, sacrifice and sadaqah. And the Book of Allah would be taken away by night and no verse of it would remain on Earth. And a section of people, decrepit old aged men and women would survive, who would say, ‘We have found our forefathers saying these words, "Laa Ilaaha Illallaah" so we also recite them...” (Sunan Ibn Maajah, Kitaab ul-Fitan, Hadeeth no. 4049)

During this time the righteous Muslims will pass away leaving only the elderly ones who know the expression ‘Laa Ilaaha Illallah', uttering it only because they heard their forefathers saying these words. They will not know anything else of Islam. This will be near the end of time.

May Allah give us the tawfeeq to do all we can to implement Islam in all aspects of our lives, and may He save us from all trials, ameen.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-20-2011, 02:23 AM
This is ridiculous. We should talk about and encourage everything about the deen and everything that is part of it. There should be no reason for anyone to be getting angry or fussy over it. Every aspect of our deen is important, major or minor. Rather than resulting to unnecessary insults, encourage what is good and forbid what isn't. We should aim to do and follow as much as we can. Would the Prophet sallalalahu alayhi wasallam say let's just focus on the big stuff? We are MUSLIMS, we should focus on everything that IS islaam.

Some of the comments I see lately on these forums disgust me, by Muslims. By kaafirs it's expected, Muslims it shouldn't be.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-20-2011, 02:44 AM
Also if something in a post is incorrect, simply correct it. I dont see why everything has to have some sort of pun in it...

Ibn Abi Ahmed
09-20-2011, 03:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Insaanah

The only cop-out is that we can only do one or the other, not both; for the "small" issues to be ignored/left on the back burner; and that we can only do x small issue once the "big" issues are sorted. If we assume you are correct, that means we should only focus on the "big" issues, because they are the priorities, and once you we have sorted them, then go to the "small".

Let's assume this happens. Within one generation of focussing on the big things, the small things will be left, if ever to be done, as nobody will ever think they are good enough in the big things to begin doing the small. The next generation won't know about the small issues, as only the big ones have been focussed on, so they'll only know about those big ones. But in their generation, the same thing happens, so out of those big issues, people prioritise and say, no it's a cop-out to focus on x small issue - you must get y big issue sorted first. This continues. Where does it end up generations later? After all that prioritising and deciding to focus only on the "big" issues, everything will be gone, and the only thing left will be laa ilaaha illallaah:

Hudhaifah narrated that the Messenger of Allah :saws: said, “Islam will disappear just as the embroidery of a fabric becomes worn out, so much so that no one would know what is fasting, prayer, sacrifice and sadaqah. And the Book of Allah would be taken away by night and no verse of it would remain on Earth. And a section of people, decrepit old aged men and women would survive, who would say, ‘We have found our forefathers saying these words, "Laa Ilaaha Illallaah" so we also recite them...” (Sunan Ibn Maajah, Kitaab ul-Fitan, Hadeeth no. 4049)

During this time the righteous Muslims will pass away leaving only the elderly ones who know the expression ‘Laa Ilaaha Illallah', uttering it only because they heard their forefathers saying these words. They will not know anything else of Islam. This will be near the end of time.

May Allah give us the tawfeeq to do all we can to implement Islam in all aspects of our lives, and may He save us from all trials, ameen.
:w:

I don't think you've properly understood the concept of prioritizing. With the issues plaguing our communities being of a higher importance than the leaving of the beard, the priority is to address them first. This is the way of the Qur'an and the Prophetic Sunnah and we see this repeatedly throughout the seerah and by the very way the Qur'an was revealed. There is a reason why the Qur'anic revelation began with the verses of paradise and Hell - it was a greater priority to increase Imaan than to tell people to stop drinking, even though the later is important, it simply wasn't the most important time in that social reality in that particular time frame.

To say other issues are of a greater priority doesn't mean that the beard isn't of importance - and this is why your assumption is flawed because it is based on the premise that I'm saying secondary issues such as the beard aren't important at all - it simply means that we are to look at the issues at the macro level and assess their importance in the grand scale of things and address things in their level of importance.

I'm curious as to why, instead of addressing the crux of the argument I've made, you're resorting to an assumption and ending your assumption with a dramatic end-of-times scenario. Clearly, when I'm saying we need to deal with people not praying or when I'm saying we need to deal with pornography in our communities and other such issues, it simply means that these issues are of greater importance. The legal maxim states that preventing harm takes precedence over securing a benefit. Those are harms and it is of a higher priority to prevent them and deal with them.

If you want to address the issue of the beard, than tell people who are already praying five times a day and not engaging in the major sins - the message is relevant to them. The majority of the community does not consist of people who are praying five times or day or are completely away from the common problems. If our pulpits and our rhetoric is filled with these issues that, while being important, are not the most important issues currently and in addition are not the most relevant issues in the community at large, then get ready to see empty mosques 50 years down the line. This means we need a functional theology, not a rhetoric that simply regurgitates what is in our books. As Imam Suhaib Webb said, ‎"Don't study Islam to go back to your community and dictate your books without practicality. If you do, you're a criminal." And there can be no truer statement because without practicality, you're removing the human element that is inherent in our tradition. Deal with people at their level and be relevant to the community it's problems. It's problem is not that beards aren't being grown. It's problem is that there's hardly 10 people in the Masjid for Fajr.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-20-2011, 03:26 AM
Why is there a problem in talking about the beard? Why does everyone flip out on this topic, I don't understand. Just because it's not the most important topic, we should stop?? It we were talking about hijab, no one would object. What's hijab compared to salah? Does every sister wear hijab? Yet whenever the issue of hijab arises, no one makes a fuss. Stop fussing over the beard. I know someone wll say hijab is fardh and I know that. But if the same analogies were applied to prayer, it's the same. Major or minor, it's still a sin. Encourage every aspect of our deen instead of what we think is in the "bigger" picture.

Tyrion
09-20-2011, 03:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Light of Heaven
It we were talking about hijab, no one would object. What's hijab compared to salah? Does every sister wear hijab? Yet whenever the issue of hijab arises, no one makes a fuss.
And who said that isn't a problem? I think the same things can be said about the Hijab issue that have been said here regarding the beard. Is it important? Yes. But is it necessary to lecture every other Muslimah, whether she be super pious or not, about how they need to put it on to gain the pleasure of Allah? No. Absolutely not.

Let's focus on making sure our brothers and sisters are doing the bare minimum to enter Jannah before we start lecturing them about the smaller things... (And even then, let's have some intellectual honesty and have someone qualified share ALL the differing fiqh opinions, instead of acting like your own opinion is the only opinion...) Otherwise we run the very serious risk of turning them away from the religion entirely.

----------------
(And a side note... People need to be more careful when they start throwing around the "enjoining the good, forbidding the evil" thing while they talk down to others... I'd say the vast majority of those who claim to be enjoining the good and forbidding the evil have their own ego problems they need to work out first... But that's just from my experience... Meh. :p: )

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-20-2011, 03:48 AM
That's NOT the point I'm making dude. People shouldn't FREAK out if the topic arises. Plain and simple. When I mentioned hijab, iwas pointing that no one will object to the topic yet whenever anyone talks about the beard even as an advice and NOT force, someone gets itchy about it, which is stupid

Tyrion
09-20-2011, 03:51 AM
That's NOT the point I'm making dude. People shouldn't FREAK out if the topic arises. Plain and simple. When I mentioned hijab, iwas pointing that no one sill object to the topic yet whenever anyone talks about the beard even as an advice and NOT force, someone gets itchy about it, which is stupid
Nobody was freaking out... Have you even read the arguments that have been raised in this thread?

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-20-2011, 03:56 AM
No, Im just tossing out comments at u all. I've been reading and the underlying tone of many posts is showing this "why are u talking about the beard when there are bigger issues to talk about." I said nothing about forcing, all I've been trying to point out is that some ppl shouldnt bungee jump someone for talking about it. If you wanna correct something they said of course that's fine but why attack the idea of talking about it? Thts what I'm not grasping

Aprender
09-20-2011, 03:58 AM
Please stop. If you want the advice take it, if not then don't and if you feel that what the OP wrote wasn't in good taste, then kindly direct us to an article that is more balanced and helpful. There's no need to attack others. The original OP was just trying to help and as a new Muslim it's really not helping me learn.... :embarrass

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-20-2011, 04:00 AM
^^ I absolutely agree with u sis. 10000 percent!

Alpha Dude
09-20-2011, 05:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aprender
Please stop. If you want the advice take it, if not then don't and if you feel that what the OP wrote wasn't in good taste, then kindly direct us to an article that is more balanced and helpful. There's no need to attack others. The original OP was just trying to help and as a new Muslim it's really not helping me learn.... :embarrass
This says everything that needs to be said and more.

Salahudeen
09-20-2011, 11:00 AM
I understand what muraad is saying that we need to get people's emaan up before talking about beard because the commandments of Allah are hard to follow without strong emaan and that's why the first verses revealed focused on emaan, however the context the article was written in was that of an Islamic forum where people come to learn about the deen, if he stood up and read the article out in a night club full of Muslims' then I'd agree with muraad and tyrion because in that context the beard isn't the most important thing, the most important thing is to stop those people from going clubbing.

However the article was written in the context of an Islamic forum where people come to learn about their religion, because they have some level of emaan that's encouraged them to join an islamic forum and seek islamic knowledge. So in that context I'd say it's perfectly fine and nothing wrong with it, however if the article was read at a gathering of Muslims that are all drinking alcohol and then fornicating then in that context the article would be out of place.

We may as well stop talking about all other issues under the guise of "there's more important things to talk about" I know this isn't what you're saying and it's not the point you're making, but it can easily be done, someone could go onto every topic and type "Why are you mentioning this for when we have bigger problems in our community" and it would fit in every thread.

But at the end of the day there's a context in which things are said, and this article was posted on an Islamic forum where people are trying to seek knowledge about every aspect of their deen, and that's why you have all the sections of the forum such as fiqh, aqeedah, general, comparitive religion, worship in Islam, for people to talk about these issues, if you think they're not worth talking about then just close those sections of the forum and say "we have more important things to talk and worry about than fiqh issues" instead of creating a platform for people to speak about these issues and then telling them "hey why are you posting this in the fiqh section for when we have bigger problems to worry about" why not just close the section so people can't talk about it that makes more sense instead of having a section for fiqh issues then when people talk about fiqh they get told "man there's bigger issues to worry about than this why you talking about this for", then the OP thinks "Hang on I thought this was the fiqh section where such things could be discussed :hmm:"

And I think even the op understands that if he was in a situation where people were doing greater sins then his first priorty is to stop those sins but he's posted it on an Islamic forum where people like to learn about Islam. He never went out to a night club and started lecturing Muslims who were drinking alcohol about the importance of the beard. So saying to him "worry about more important things" is incorrect I feel, I mean how do you know he's not worrying about more important things? He could be out every night on the streets giving dawah to people and doesn't even mention their beard cos he understands its not the correct context.

Your argument would only be valid if the op posted this article on a kafir forum or a forum where muslims were doing major sins, but the fact is he posted it on an Islamic forum that provides a platform to discuss such issues. So I don't understand why people are telling him to worry about bigger issues, you may as well post in the entire fiqh section of the forum "why are you worrying about this for when we have bigger issues to worry about" people will laugh and say "hello this is an islamic forum and this section of the forum was created to talk about such issues so stop telling us that please" :hmm:

Now I think basically what's happened is, people have got their wires crossed, murad and tyron are talking/thinking about real life scenarios, they're imagining a practising Muslim with a beard lecturing another Muslim who's fornicating and drinking alcohol about keeping a beard, they're saying in this situation the beard isn't the most important thing to worry about. And I'm sure everyone would agree with this. In this situation the beard is not the priority everyone agrees with this!

However other people are talking about something completely different, they're talking about discussing Islamic issues in an Islamic gathering such as an Islamic forum, and they're saying there's nothing wrong what so ever in mentioning these issues in such a context and I think we'd all agree with this. and hence the wires have been crossed which gave way to the big misunderstanding.

You're all talking about two completely different things :hmm:

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-20-2011, 02:50 PM
Well we shouldn't get so passionate that we almost get to the point of dissing someone or wanting to prove them wrong. Thats not passion. I agree with the post before members, this is an Islamic forum and a platform has been layed out to discuss it so stop bugging....

GuestFellow
09-20-2011, 04:22 PM
Well we shouldn't get so passionate that we almost get to the point of dissing someone or wanting to prove them wrong. Thats not passion. I agree with the post before members, this is an Islamic forum and a platform has been layed out to discuss it so stop bugging....
Asslamu Alaikuma!

Your back. Nice to see your posts again.

Anyway, not sure if I should say this but I suspect the Muslim members dislike the the topic may not actually grow a full fist beard themselves. This may be a possibility why some have taken a confrontational reaction.

Light of Heaven (I prefer to call you Light of Thunder lol) put it well when she said "ppl shouldnt bungee jump someone for talking about it"...

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-20-2011, 04:33 PM
Wa alaykum assalaam. JazakAllaah khayr brother, good to see u too. Thunder lol....sorry I just usually make up stuff as i go.

I did notice that usually people get defensive when they themselves don't want to let it grow or don't like it...not all but many. And I also noticed whenever the topic of the beard comes up, I see opposing comments.

I posted a video once on my Facebook page about it and the sister reacted in the same manner that people are here. So my question to such people, why does it bother you? It's still islaam is it not? Everything that is connected to this deen has importance.

Salahudeen
09-20-2011, 05:01 PM
Wa alaykum assalaam. JazakAllaah khayr brother, good to see u too. Thunder lol....sorry I just usually make up stuff as i go.

I did notice that usually people get defensive when they themselves don't want to let it grow or don't like it...not all but many. And I also noticed whenever the topic of the beard comes up, I see opposing comments.

I posted a video once on my Facebook page about it and the sister reacted in the same manner that people are here. So my question to such people, why does it bother you? It's still islaam is it not? Everything that is connected to this deen has importance.
They usually get defensive because they've had guy with a beard lecturing them day in day out making them feel inferior and bad for having a clean shave, I once trimmed my beard below a fistful and every person I met asked me "why did you trim your beard for" like I'd comitted the crime of the century, even people without beards would point the finger and say " :omg: how could you trim your beard" in the end I got sick of it all and shaved it all off just to spite them and when they'd ask me why I shaved my beard off I'd just make some stupid answer to anoy them, reviewing my actions now, that was probably not the best thing to do and was foolish, but the point is people become defensive over certain stuff cos they've been attacked in the past about it. I actually had one brother who refused to shake my hand when he saw I trimmed my beard less than a fistful???

If someone trims their beard I never mention it in a derogatory manner cos I know how annoying it is, there's a way to doing things and making people feel bad isn't the way. I'm actually put off modern men with beards, apart from the few that I've met who know how to talk to someone. I know that sounds very wrong and bad, but a lot of them I found, if you don't have a beard or you have a short beard, they make you feel so guilty and bad that you can't bear to be in their company cos you're constantly reminded of your insufficiencies. Not all bearded brothers are like this, just the one's I've met personally in my life.

What anoyed me more was that different scholars have different opinions about the beard, yet when people follow a certain opinion i.e the beard should be this long then they try to force that opinion on everyone else around them, and a person who follows another scholars opinion and has a shorter beard is made to feel inferior like he's doing something wrong.

As a result I don't really mix with bearded brothers even though I have a beard myself and could be apart of the "bearded guys gang" I choose not to cos I get anoyed when they gossip about someone as if he's done the greatest sin possible because he decided to take an inch off his beard :hmm: la hawla wa la qu watta illa billa he trimmed his beard a bit astagfirAllah!!! ya Allah!!! this type of mentality/attitude I've come across in my life.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-20-2011, 05:15 PM
^^ I absolutely understand that and it's not the way to go but speaking from experience those same people shouldn't fume out at others, it puts me off also. They get put off and then someone like me gets put off, no one benefits.

Anyways I jus hate that it has to be such a big deal to talk about it. I'm pretty sure had the sahaba been around or even the prophet sallalallaahu alayhi wasallam, we wouldn't dare do this. So just think of it like that...I hardly doubt we would say to them, let's focus on the bigger stuff as if those r the only important aspects. I dislike this "this is more important than that" type of attitude, mind you they all have meaning...

A-Brother
09-20-2011, 10:19 PM
Jazakallah To The Above Two Users Salahuddin And Light Of Heaven, I Am Quite New To The Forum Meaning I Am Not Very Familiar With The Users On This Forum And Not Aware Of How They React With Posts, So I Have Tried To Let Others Discuss The For And Against Arguments They Have Bought Up In The Thread. Jazakallah For Presenting Your Views Foward. I Agree On The Point Which The Brother Mentioned ' Theres A Time And Place For Everything '.

I Apologise Once Again If Anyone Has Been Hurt During The Posts Made In This Thread Due To The Contradictions/Differences In Opinions. The Forum Is Not To Cause Any Kind Of Hatred. We All Are In Need Of Seeking Knowledge. We Shouldn't Let Others Get Put Of By Coming On This Website By The Comments We Make.

May Allah Grant Us The Correct Understanding.

Allah Knows Best

Insaanah
09-20-2011, 10:19 PM

As Imam Suhaib Webb said, ‎"Don't study Islam to go back to your community and dictate your books without practicality. If you do, you're a criminal." And there can be no truer statement
Allah is the only one who can judge who is a criminal and who isn't.

If someone posts an article on keeping the beard (or any other "lesser" good deed for that matter), whatever is in their capacity, even if it is reminding but without how practically to do it, while pornography is happening in your community, will Allah say to him, "You are a criminal for reminding people about that good deed"? OR, will this happen? "So whosoever does good equal to the weight of an atom (or a small ant), shall see it.'' (Qur'an 99:7). This is for Allah to judge, not us.

Our communities are plagued with much worse issues than shaving such as domestic violence, divorce, pornography etc. Those issues are of much greater importance.
If pornography, domestic violence etc is a problem in your community, then the most constructive thing to do about it is not to question someone who posts an article on keeping the beard, but to open a new thread, and say, peeps, pornography is a problem in my community, could we all put forward ideas and brainstorm, how it can be dealt with and how can it be prevented on a short and long-term basis, how can we advise people in a wise way so that they're not tempted to it etc. That is a far better use of your time, and of far more benefit to your community. If you think it's a problem in the Muslim community as a whole, and you want to do something about it, start threads, get ideas, get people involved. Questioning an article on the beard won't really help you to achieve the aim you're after.

Also, comments like the following do not help foster Islamic unity and brotherhood, if we are going to question the egos of our fellow brother and sisters when they enjoin the good and forbid the evil:

I'd say the vast majority of those who claim to be enjoining the good and forbidding the evil have their own ego problems they need to work out first... But that's just from my experience...
If what is written is Islamically correct, take it, if it isn't, leave it. People's egos are Allah's affairs not ours, and He knows their intentions, and will reward or punish accordingly. If you think that something is Islamically wrong with what has been posted, then quote the part you think is wrong, and explain with evidence why you think it is wrong, and again, with evidence, explain how it should be. This is far more constructive.

format_quote Originally Posted by Salahudeen
Now I think basically what's happened is, people have got their wires crossed, murad and tyron are talking/thinking about real life scenarios...in a night club full of Muslims' I'd agree with muraad and tyrion because in that context the beard isn't the most important thing
I hadn't considered this possibility, jazaakallah khayr for alerting us to it. Maybe that is the case. Allahu a3lam.

Anyhow, this is my last post in this thread, Allah knows best in all matters and may He forgive me if I said anything wrong.

Salahudeen
09-20-2011, 10:27 PM
Jazakallah To The Above Two Users Salahuddin And Light Of Heaven, I Am Quite New To The Forum Meaning I Am Not Very Familiar With The Users On This Forum And Not Aware Of How They React With Posts, So I Have Tried To Let Others Discuss The For And Against Arguments They Have Bought Up In The Thread. Jazakallah For Presenting Your Views Foward. I Agree On The Point Which The Brother Mentioned ' Theres A Time And Place For Everything '.

I Apologise Once Again If Anyone Has Been Hurt During The Posts Made In This Thread Due To The Contradictions/Differences In Opinions. The Forum Is Not To Cause Any Kind Of Hatred. We All Are In Need Of Seeking Knowledge. We Shouldn't Let Others Get Put Of By Coming On This Website By The Comments We Make.

Allah Knows Best
Our poor bro has become stressed with this thread, look at his mood :D

A-Brother
09-20-2011, 10:50 PM
Thats The Reason Why I Have Used The Following Thread To Clear My Mind From All The Confusions. Hope You Find It Beneficial In Any Way. Jazakallah For Your Assistance Brothers And Sisters. Its Also Important That We Get Our Knowledge From The Correct People And Sources. Before We Flick Through Channels To Watch A Speaker. Do A Profile Check On The Scholar/Where He Studies/Who He Studied Under E.T.C, It Doesn't Mean If He Is Quoting Loads Of Ahadith And Quran Ayaats That He Is An Authentic Scholar. We Should Ask Our Local Imams/Scholars/Shaykh Whether We Should Listen To Such People. Another Example Is When One Sits And Reads A Book, It Is As If You Are In The Company Of That Author. And The Words Of That Author May Have An Affect On Your Heart. Same Could Be Said About Our Comments, Our Comments Can Have An Effect On The Reader And Be A Means Of Guidance Or Other E.T.C.

Allah Knows Best

Watch The Live Broadcast Of Prayers From Makkah And Madinah Live Including 24 Hour Broadcast

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-20-2011, 11:56 PM

Wa eyyak wa barakAllaahu feek brother Adam. I hope these incidents don't hinder your stay at this forum. You will come cross such instances and you will surely find brothers on here you'll grow to love and appreciate.

May Allaah reward any good intention from any post that was presented here, Aameen. I would consider sis insanahs post....some good advice mashaAllaah.

Wassalaamu alaykum wa rahmatullaah.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
09-21-2011, 12:49 AM
I think we're discussing in a fairly civil manner. Critiquing someone else's position does not mean that there is a personal agenda or that one person wants to prove the other wrong. It's a mature discussion. I'm positive no on here has anything personal against anyone else.

^^ I absolutely understand that and it's not the way to go but speaking from experience those same people shouldn't fume out at others, it puts me off also. They get put off and then someone like me gets put off, no one benefits.

Anyways I jus hate that it has to be such a big deal to talk about it. I'm pretty sure had the sahaba been around or even the prophet sallalallaahu alayhi wasallam, we wouldn't dare do this. So just think of it like that...I hardly doubt we would say to them, let's focus on the bigger stuff as if those r the only important aspects. I dislike this "this is more important than that" type of attitude, mind you they all have meaning...
With all due respect sister, this is a forum and I am sure we can all discuss this topic as mature individuals. I haven't seen anyone fuming at anyone else.

I don't think it's a fair argument to say, if the Prophet (saw) or the Companions were here, we wouldn't talk about it. Frankly, things would be very different and to bring that social reality into our current social reality doesn't really work.

Allah Knows Best
You have no reason to apologize brother. You posted something commendable and there were certain aspects I disagreed with and I wrote about it. This is the purpose of having a forum where we can talk things out. Discussion is a good thing.

format_quote Originally Posted by Insaanah

Allah is the only one who can judge who is a criminal and who isn't.

You're still not getting it. We're not talking about a criminal in the spiritual aspect of the meaning, if we were, you would be correct, rather the intended meaning is the fiqhi aspect. A faqih does have the right to call someone a faasiq (criminal), you cannot argue with him that "Allah is the only one who can judge" because then you are speaking about something completely different. Imam Suhaib was simply echoing what the fuqaha, giants such as Ash-Shaatibi and others have said regarding the role of the mufti and what he is obligated to do.

If someone posts an article on keeping the beard (or any other "lesser" good deed for that matter), whatever is in their capacity, even if it is reminding but without how practically to do it, while pornography is happening in your community, will Allah say to him, "You are a criminal for reminding people about that good deed"? OR, will this happen? "So whosoever does good equal to the weight of an atom (or a small ant), shall see it.'' (Qur'an 99:7). This is for Allah to judge, not us.
This is irrelevant to the discussion.

If pornography, domestic violence etc is a problem in your community, then the most constructive thing to do about it is not to question someone who posts an article on keeping the beard, but to open a new thread, and say, peeps, pornography is a problem in my community, could we all put forward ideas and brainstorm, how it can be dealt with and how can it be prevented on a short and long-term basis, how can we advise people in a wise way so that they're not tempted to it etc. That is a far better use of your time, and of far more benefit to your community. If you think it's a problem in the Muslim community as a whole, and you want to do something about it, start threads, get ideas, get people involved. Questioning an article on the beard won't really help you to achieve the aim you're after.
I'm trying to understand why you're repeatedly picking out a sentence or two of my entire post and then addressing that instead of looking the point holistically.

My conclusion was, had you understood the point holistically, that the people who actually care about the community should focus on issues that are of a greater priority to the entire community and place that benefit above the benefit of the practicing few because at the end of the day the people that actually care about knowledge and practicing are a very small minority. If they're caught up on issues that are secondary at the macro level, then who in the world will focus on the social evils that are plaguing our youth?

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-21-2011, 01:36 AM
^^ there have been a few comments in this thread that did just the opposite of what you seem to be claiming. In fact, the very first reply was harsh. Give your brother the benefit of doubt in regards to his intention when he posted this. I find it rather silly that you would say no one is saying anything to anyone when it's right in front of our faces.

Why is it bothersome to talk about it, this is my question since I started posting here and this question still stands. I know that you are critiquing his posts. If u haven't noticed I took no ones names, but those who are behaving in an unnecessary manner know who they are. I don't think I need to take names and I won't.

I think it is fair to bring up the prophet sallallaahu alayhi wasallam and the sahaba radhiAllaahu anhum. I brought it up so that we think about how some of us are behaving. obviously they are not here and can't be, that would imply islaam isn't complete and alhamdulillaah it is.

I'm not angry or anything, annoyed yes. Like I said there's no reason for anyone to say or even remotely imply that he cannot talk about it.

Quite frankly, it's far from a critique. I wonder if anyone took into consideration how some of these posts may have made him feel. I da say some people are heartless if you cannot be more gentle in your approach.

I know I will have some opposing comments oming at me but frankly I don't care anymore. I feel sad when I see someone being cornered and it's pathetic. Ys I'm emotional, good for me huh.

FYI Ill mention again I took no names and most of my posts were not to you akhi Muraad

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-21-2011, 01:43 AM
Unless this thread sticks only to critiquing his posts in a way that is right, I'm jetting out of this thread before you know it.

Also, does anyone know what to make of this:

Reported by Abu Darda that RasulAllaah, sallallaahu alayhi wasallam, said "I have no connection with one who shaves, shouts and tears his clothing e.g. in grief or affliction."

Muslim.

^^whether it's actually in Muslim. JazakAllaah Khayr.
Assalaamu alaykum wa rahmatullaah.

Periwinkle18
02-11-2012, 03:26 PM
JazakAllah khayr for sharing learnt alot will go n tell my bro :)

Txyib
02-11-2012, 05:26 PM
salaam
keeping a beard is sunnah and it should be at least a fistfull regardless of what people think
wasalam

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!