/* */

PDA

View Full Version : can a woman be an imam?

roohani.doctor
09-12-2011, 11:25 PM
asalamu alaikum :)

I read somewhere that the beauty of women in Islam is that a woman is allowed to lead prayers...from what I understand, she can if she is leading for women only...BUT what is the reasoning in her not being able to lead prayers for men as well - mainly askin cuz people say men and women are equal in islam, so why is only a men allowed to be an iman? any answers would be highly appreciated. jazakallah.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Salahudeen
09-13-2011, 04:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by londonfog
asalamu alaikum :)

I read somewhere that the beauty of women in Islam is that a woman is allowed to lead prayers...from what I understand, she can if she is leading for women only...BUT what is the reasoning in her not being able to lead prayers for men as well - mainly askin cuz people say men and women are equal in islam, so why is only a men allowed to be an iman? any answers would be highly appreciated. jazakallah.
Women have such sweet melodious voices that it could be fitna for some men, they might not concentrate on the prayer and instead just think about how nice she sounds and wonder if she looks as nice as she sounds, this is how a lot of men are, because we have strong desires in us. That's why women aren't supposed to beautify their voice also and should speak straight to the point when speaking with men who aren't related to them. Allah has made everything about a woman attractive and beautiful to a man, even the way she speaks and sounds, that's why.

It's not uncommon for a man to tell his wife, "I could just listen to you speak all day" cos her voice is so sweet and nice to his ears that he loves hearing it and makes him more attracted to her.

You may say "well the same is also true for women, they might think the same about the imam leading the prayer" that could happen, but women tend to be more reserved and have this problem less because they don't have as strong desires as men.

This may not be the main reason, or even a reason at all, but it's what came to mind. it could be wrong.

Alpha Dude
09-13-2011, 04:45 AM
Wa alaykum salam,

I agree with the above.
mainly askin cuz people say men and women are equal in islam, so why is only a men allowed to be an iman?
Men and women in Islam have complementary positions/responsibilities, based on our different physical and psychological makeup. Although there isn't 'equality' (in the literal sense) in a number of issues, like in the above leading prayer matter, there is however a sense of equity.

noorseeker
09-13-2011, 06:33 AM
No.............

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Musalman
09-13-2011, 07:28 AM
A woman cannot do imamat

Ramadhan
09-13-2011, 07:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by noorseeker
No.............

format_quote Originally Posted by Musalman
A woman cannot do imamat
yes they can.

A woman can be an Imam for other women and for their own family if there is no adult men.
I can't remember the particular hadith, but there was a shahabiyat who lead shalah for her children in her house.

*Yasmin*
09-13-2011, 10:36 AM
i can't imagine my future husband praying behind a woman, i may punch him on the face lol

MSalman
09-13-2011, 04:19 PM
as-salaamu alaykum

mainly askin cuz people say men and women are equal in islam
First, equal is an ambiguous term. Second, whoever said that is wrong. In Islam, men and women are treated justly/have just rights, not that they're equal.

so why is only a men allowed to be an imam?
Because it's the law of Allah! Allah ordained it this way and that's a sufficient reason for a Muslim. If a kafir is asking this then you shouldn't be talking to him about this issue when he doesn't even believe in Allah and His last message.

And Allah knows best!

جوري
09-13-2011, 05:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Salahudeen
"I could just listen to you speak all day"
Now you know that part is a lie..but you hold on to that it will get you everything & everywhere with your future wife..:D

this is what most men are thinking when their wives speak..

SFatima
09-13-2011, 06:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ramadhan
yes they can.

A woman can be an Imam for other women and for their own family if there is no adult men.
I can't remember the particular hadith, but there was a shahabiyat who lead shalah for her children in her house.
I think according to what scholars say, that imamat is done only when you have to teach somebody how to pray, hence the children..and also done when new muslim women are to be shown how to pray, not otherwise. But women can offer congregational prayers, the difference is that the leading lady does not stand ahead, she stands among the people in the first row.

Whatever Allah ordains for people is indeed the best, I really run out of my concentration in a woman prayer gathering, it is so understandable why its good for women to pray at home, praying in masjid is also allowed but women due to the nature of her responsiblities cannot always leave the house, if she has to look after the babies/ has food on the stove n etc.

Another reason could be that islam does not allow for mixing of men and women, why should a woman lead a men's prayer? Women at the time of the prophet used to take special care of their purdah and stand behind the the whole men's jammat, now separate sections or separation is used so that mixing is prevented.

Ghazalah
09-13-2011, 09:17 PM
Some Scholars have also stated that a woman's voice is awrah, and should not beautify it where non-mahram men can hear.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!